Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: The Sin Bin

MostlyC

8 minutes ago, janeta said:

I totally want Lucifer’s house in the hills....

Me, too.  Loved Maze in this, too.  Missed Linda and Amenadiel, but there was a lot going on here so I can forgive it. :-P

I loved that Luci couldn't kill a human, but he was so sure of Cain.  I'm glad he was, too.  I wonder why it needed to be Luci to kill the blind man?  What was to be gained with that and for whom?

• Love 5

So was Cain trying get Lucifer to refall? I find it find of interesting Lucifer wouldn't  take a human life, and we've seen Chloe not hesitate  to pull her gun on fellow humans who were still threats (the Warden was already caught, Lucifer wasn't  quite sure what would happen if he didn't  kill the blind guy). She shot Malcolm more than once  irrc. Maybe  murdering a human in any circumstance is too unfair of a fight for him?

So glad to have Maze back. "Nickelback on repeat?" "I started with that!" This is the show I'm here for not the over reaching dragged out small dick jokes and Lucifer teaching kids about drugs in the beginning of the season.

I love Trixie isn't  trying to get her parents back together. I still think they don't  know how to write Charlotte" and are doing  "Mom". I know she was a workaholic before  but a mom of 2 shouldn't be that awkward when she first saw Trixie and Dan. It just screams "mom trying to be normal."

I really  didn't think they would go with Cain. I knew Welling was going to be evil. I figured the girls kidnapping was staged, but when you have good character  interactions and it leads to a bigger story it's okay with me.

I judge Fox for showing a new episode New Years Day.  But Luci coming to LA has been the stand alone holdover I've been waiting for since it was announced in the spring so bring  it on.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 8
52 minutes ago, janeta said:

totally want Lucifer’s house in the hills....

You need an electronic subscription to the LA Times.  (Their intro price is very reasonable.)  Their weekend real estate section will turn you into a devil in your dreams.  Nothing any ten of us couldn't afford if we lumped all our assets together. Sigh.  We'll get the devil to pay the taxes and insurance, the least he can do.

Now about tonight's episode. Maze seems less menacing, darn it.   Chloe seems willing to break rules...just when did  that lawlessness begin.  Lucy had a few lines that were really bland, as if he stepped out of a bad sit com . "Whups" comes to mind. 

But what have they done to my Medical Examiner, I really liked her last season.  This season she's turned into mush.  And by whom?  That is most bothersome.

• Love 4

Best line of the night: “Lopez stop talking”. She has become insufferable. It borders on insulting to have a grown woman and a professional written as if she is 12. 

Overall I thought this was another clunker. Lucifer figuring out who the lieutenant is and stabbing him was the high point. Hopefully the lieutenant will be less dull as Cain. 

• Love 23

Well here's hoping Welling loosens up a bit now. He always seemed to enjoy Clark Kent on red kryptonite more. 

Otherwise this show makes me sad. Has lost a lot if its charm. Only funny moment in a show that used to make me LOL consistently was " Nickelback on repeat" and WHY wouldnt Chloe let Lucifer finish a sentence? She may be mad but she knows Lucifer has a way of getting people to talk and he obviously had information to share.  Can we kill off Chloe and keep everyone else? 

• Love 14

Huh, the only thing surprising about this episode was the unusually loooong time Clark - I mean - Let.! - laid there before he got back up.

The only interesting thing about it was why did it HAVE to be Lucifer proving free will by killing the guy?

The house was gorgeous, there was that.  Charlotte's hair was hilarious.  Thin hour of TV.

• Love 2

God, Chloe is just the worst! A self-important, self-righteous dead weight. 

Thankfully the rest of the cast is carrying the show. Trixie being an awesome wingman is almost as good as her sailor moon hairdo! 

Dan definitely deserves a massive muffin basket for the bomb fiasco. It irks me how that was handled because you known that if he had pulled that trick on Saint Chloe she would still be shrieking about it. 

Maze is almost back to being herself, which is a cheerful thought. And Tom Ellis looks wonderfully debonair in a grey 3 piece, so that was worth the price of admission ! 

I knew some celestial highjinx was happening with Pierce, so I'm glad we have progress on that front. And like others I hope he becomes a more interesting character as a result. And I can forgive him a whole lot for being the one to finally yell "Lopez, just stop talking !". It needed to be said.  

Edited by CaptainTightpants
Spelling
  • Love 15

Did anyone catch the very last line that Cain said to Lucifer? I played it back several times but it was mumbled just enough that I couldn't make it out (and my CCs weren't working for some reason).

The switch to 8pm has hurt this show badly, having to dumb down and kiddify some serious themes. Imagine the fun we could have in a 10pm timeslot, or better still, on cable or streaming? This should never have been even a 9pm show, let alone 8.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Did anyone catch the very last line that Cain said to Lucifer? I played it back several times but it was mumbled just enough that I couldn't make it out (and my CCs weren't working for some reason).

The switch to 8pm has hurt this show badly, having to dumb down and kiddify some serious themes. Imagine the fun we could have in a 10pm timeslot, or better still, on cable or streaming? This should never have been even a 9pm show, let alone 8.

He said "You had better pour me one too", if I recall correctly. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CaptainTightpants said:

God, Chloe is just the worst! A self-important, self-righteousness dead weight. 

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. IMO, she is the weakest character in the show.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Ria said:

Best line of the night: “Lopez stop talking”. She has become insufferable. It borders on insulting to have a grown woman and a professional written as if she is 12. 

Overall I thought this was another clunker. Lucifer figuring out who the lieutenant is and stabbing him was the high point. Hopefully the lieutenant will be less dull as Cain. 

I agree on both points, I didn't even really enjoy seeing Maze or Trixie, & I've been thinking "Lopez, stop talking" all season, they've just ruined her.

• Love 8

Trixie! Loved Trixie and Charlotte. I expected the line "are you and my dad having sex" but it was hilarious nonetheless. Still there for Marlotte and Dan.

Chloe accepted to help Lucifer against her principles, because it was the only solution to save a woman's life and because she trusted him. At first, she thought she  had been abducted and she was worried about him (and blamed herself, and took responsibility). Then she learns it's a stunt he pulled, and she thinks that Pierce was forced to kill the Sinnerman instead of bringing him to justice because of Lucifer's going rogue. How could she not be angry and disappointed? I know Lucifer had his reasons but as she said, she had his back and he didn't have hers. I expected some kind of conflict between Chloe and Lucifer since it's the "midseason finale" and I prefer one stemming from their respective personalities and way of thinking, where I can understand and sympathize with both POVs, over some fake romantic drama.

Jackass is Cain, meh. I also hope that Tom Welling will be better if playing a villain, because was his acting dull in this one and since he's there at least until the end of the season, I'd rather not tire my eyes rolling them.  Also, they have to stop with Ella fangirling about Jackass. It's painful to watch her ridicule herself, and  jarring when she's actually acting like an adult with a brain in a couple of scenes.

Nice to see Maze, demon and good friend.

The last Sinnerman/Lucifer confrontation was rather disturbing. Lucifer seems more worried about losing his current life and the people in it than willing to get his demon face back. Tom Ellis never disappoints.

• Love 3

But, but Cain was on last year!  Sorry bad joke if your a Supernatural fan.

So was Sinnerman the Sinnerman?  Or is Cain?  Because Cain is the one who killed his brother right? He told Chloe the Sinnerman killed his brother last week.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I worried about this too at first and while I agree they could do so much more with cable or streaming I don't feel that the show lost its edge from being shown at 8.  Off the top of my head this episode had the blindfolded lady bumping into Lucifer saying "It's hard," most likely referring to the pinata and Lucifer responding "Always," most likely referring to his crotch.  Then at the Roller Derby the skater they were pursuing yells "Eat me!" and Lucifer said "Yes, please."  So, for me, the sexual innuendos are still there.  

As far as other non-kid friendly things ... the guy gouging his eyes out was pretty rough.

• Love 2

That was all really predictable. For a split second I thought the show was going to throw us a curveball and make Welling just a guy but nope, of course he's immortal. I thought it would have been fascinating to watch Lucy deal with having killed a human while trying so hard not to. Instead we'll get some boring immortal showdown. Oh well. I am quite over Lucy now anyway.

I did like Trixie, and everything about Trixie. I hope Dan gets the girl in the end. Maybe Chloe will die in the line of duty and he and Charlotte can run off together and raise sociopath in training Trixie. lol

Miss Amen and Linda.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2017 at 2:45 AM, Happy Harpy said:

I also hope that Tom Welling will be better if playing a villain

Are we totally sure he's the villain?  Sure, he's Cain, the first murderer, but this is a show whose protagonist is the Devil.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 12

I mostly enjoyed this. There were a couple of good lines (Nickleback), and I love any scene with Trixie. And thank GOD someone finally told Ella to shut up.

But... the bad actor dude was a police captain. How many years has he been working as a cop and working his way up to that position? With what kind of assumption that someday he would to transfer into the precinct where Lucifer is a consultant? Talk about predestination.

Seriously -- that's a MONSTER hole.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Jlina said:

Huh, the only thing surprising about this episode was the unusually loooong time Clark - I mean - Let.! - laid there before he got back up.

The only interesting thing about it was why did it HAVE to be Lucifer proving free will by killing the guy?

At least that provided a little comic relief with Lucifer impatient and perhaps a little worried when he didn't get up.

My first thought is the old "Seventh Sign" plot and Cain is cursed to wander the earth until end of time and maybe he thinks Lucifer killing a human will end it all since it seems to be a big Angel no no.  So he's trying to start the apocalypse And Lucifer he thinks is the most likely Angel to be able to convince to do it.  I don't know. Just spit balling here.

It is possible they may bond for a time over their mutual hatred of Dad.  Of course Lucifer hate is more frustrated love/hate Even if he won't admit it. Pretty sure Cain is going to be pure hate. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, flyingdi said:

So was Sinnerman the Sinnerman?  Or is Cain?  Because Cain is the one who killed his brother right? He told Chloe the Sinnerman killed his brother last week.

Seems like Cain is the Sinnerman himself.

He said that "Sinnerman killed his brother." And Cain murdered Abel in the Bible so Cain/Welling can be the Sinnerman.

• Love 6

Thank goodness, some potential celestial shakeup. I have no idea what Lucifer actually wants anymore. Yes, he wants his devil face back and his wings (which we never see anyway so why do they even matter) gone, but... okay, so he gets those back and so what? He doesn't plan to go back to Hell so it doesn't actually matter that he's the devil, as far as I can tell. For a lot of this season, he's basically just been a rich playboy who could be replaced with any number of other rich playboys. I'm here for SATAN IN LA and I would like to get that back.

• Love 9

Ella is back to fangirling over Lt. Douche-Lite. Oh, joy. Chloe swallowed several stupid pills. Trying to interview a suspect while she's skating around a roller derby track? And not identifying herself as a cop until the third lap? Followed by the fake bomb on Dan's desk. Also, who was supposed to be driving the truck when they got Ersatz Sinnerman out of the station? Good thing Lt. D-L knew what they were planning.

Trixie as wingman! Now, that's a fun watch. Still wondering why Charlotte agreed to watch Trixie while at work. She's new to the job. Was it bring-your-friend's-daughter-to-work day?

Good to see Maze somewhat back to being Maze. Although, I wouldn't have minded seeing at least the start of some torture. Hell, even her turning on the Nickleback would have been good.

Lt. D-L is actually Cain. This could be interesting. Who am I kidding, it'd be hard to be duller than Lt. D-L has been.

Luci's house had an amazing view.

Missed Linda and Amenadude. And please TPTB, give us back the real Ella.

I am looking forward to Luci's arrival in LA.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

I am looking forward to Luci's arrival in LA.

Yes, the next ep looks interesting. I hope they don't screw it up. Season 1 I would have had 100% faith they could do it justice. Now, I'm not so confident.

I figured that Pierce had some kind of secret, and that the tattoo we saw would play a part in his backstory, but I didn't see him being Cain coming. Its actually a nice tie in from the comics (especially considering how much they've started downplaying the cosmic elements of the show) so I hope this means we will get back to the cosmic stuff, and spend less time on generic crime stuff that you can get anywhere. Maybe if whatever his plan here is doesn't work out, he can find his brother and they can run an anthology horror show! 

I think the most I've ever liked Pierce was when he yelled at Ella to shut up. Of all my issues with this season, I think them turning Ella into a ridiculous caricature of herself is one of my biggest. She isn't just a quirky but intelligent woman now, she`s some kind of constantly freaking out fangirl who seems like she isn't smart enough to make breakfast in the morning, let alone work for the LAPD. She seemed to be back to normal for a few episodes, but this week she was even worse. 

Not an awful episode or anything, but it seems to have lost its flavor lately. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Of all my issues with this season, I think them turning Ella into a ridiculous caricature of herself is one of my biggest.

It drives me nuts because at times I really like the character and thought she was a good addition, a true believer, scientist in Lucy's orbit but not too close. She had potential. I do not get the whole acting like Peirce is some kind of rock star thing she does. UGH.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I do not get the whole acting like Peirce is some kind of rock star thing she does.

Ella clearly has a huge crush on him (which is a little scary now that we know who he really is) that she is for some reason trying to vicariously satisfy by pushing Chloe at him.  I felt kind of bad for Ella when Pierce snapped at her.  It felt like he was kicking a puppy.  That said, I kind of think that Dan should leave Trixie with Ella next time.  Ella can show Trixie the cool stuff she does in the lab and Trixie can teach Ella how to comport herself as something approaching a grown woman.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

Ella can show Trixie the cool stuff she does in the lab and Trixie can teach Ella how to comport herself as something approaching a grown woman.

They could learn a lot from each other.

Oh, I forgot about how devote Ella would react to her big crush being on Biblical Cain. haha I am way more interesting in Ella's reaction when finding out about Lucy et al than I am Chloe's. I'm sure Chloe will have very little reaction. She barely reacts to anything, plus, they want her and Lucy together so she'll have to be okay with it.

2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

It drives me nuts because at times I really like the character and thought she was a good addition, a true believer, scientist in Lucy's orbit but not too close. She had potential. I do not get the whole acting like Peirce is some kind of rock star thing she does. UGH.

He's cute, I guess, if you like them square-jawed and ripped. I don't think Ella adds anything to the cast, which is already pushing at the edges of too large with the addition of Charlotte. They both seem like they're there because somebody owed the actresses a favor or something. Trixie plays better off Charlotte, and if Charlotte and Dan hook up again then she can be in play there, and if you want "childlike" then you might as well use the actual child in your established cast (also, the little girl who plays Trixie is adorable and I love her). Between Dan, Chloe, Lucifer, Pierce, and any number of extras who could be given small speaking roles, there are more than enough people to do scenes at the station already. What skills does Ella bring that couldn't easily be elided with "here's the report from Forensics?"

• Love 3
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

She is starting to remind me of Abby on NCIS.  Originally Abby was "normal" on NCIS, but over the years TPTB turned her into an annoying unprofessional mess.

Once upon a time, I went to a play, a farce, in Weston-super=Mare, and the guy sitting next to me listed all the 'characters' I'd see in the play that was coming up.  He was right.  The name of the play didn't matter, only the interplay of the characters, whoever was playing them that night.  

@Icemistress gave me a serious flashback to that farce in likening Ella to Abby.  Now I worry that procedural series will have a potentially interesting female scientist that they turn into mush-for-brains because they don't know what else to do with her.  Let her mature into a character with more depth does not seem to be an option.

I really loved that final plot twist. I suspected he wasn't a regular human, but the idea that he could be Cain never crossed my mind, and I like that choice. I'm now curious about him, more than I'd be if he were just the real Sinnerman or something like that. However, I don't think Cain is behind Lucifer's wings and his lack of demon face. Why would he have that power? As far as I know, he isn't a supernatural creature, just a human punished by God with inmortality.

I also liked the scenes with Charlotte and Trixie, and the painted eyes were hilarious. But that's all. I thought Chloe was a bit out of character, because she's willing to bend the rules a little, sometimes, but what she did to take Sinnerman out of the police station was too much. And again, she needs to know. She had every right to be upset with Lucifer after what he had done, but all I could feel was frustration because of course she wouldn't want to listen to him just when he's ready to open up. Ella was ridiculous. And not even a hint of the Lord of Hell in this episode. Not a moment when you see the ancient supernatural creature behind the human mask. And I'm not talking about his demon face, his wings or his powers, but something subtler. 

• Love 7

So the new Lieutenant that showed up at the same time as the Sinnerman is actually the Sinnerman? You don't say? Who could have seen that coming? I agree that it would have been more interesting if Lucifer had killed the lieutenant only to discover he was an innocent human. I thought that was where they were going based on Lucifer saying he couldn't kill humans. Hopefully Caine will be interesting but we'll see.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So, does Sinnerman have a series of Frontmen doing his advance work? Does he actually want to die or just punish God? Here's a kicker. Did Cain kill his brother after Lucifer revealed his greatest desire?

Oh, and Charlotte still seems a lot more like Lucifer's mom than Charlotte Richards.

• Love 1

I had a feeling since near the beginning that Pierce was actually going to be the true brains of the "Sinnerman" arc, but I was a little surprised that he ended up being Cain from the infamous Cain/Able story.  Hopefully this will go somewhere interesting.  And Tom Welling will be more fun soon.  I definitely think he's better when he's playing a character with more of an edge to him (Red Kryptonite Clark), so maybe this well make him less stiff and bland.

Trixie!  Loved that she got to interact with some different characters like Dan and Charlotte.  I do like that Dan really does try to be good to her, even if he makes mistakes like most parents do.  And her interactions with Charlotte were fun.  And it all ends with Dan and Charlotte agreeing to "have dinner" and Charlotte finally deciding to make contact with her own kids again.  Trixie really is the best!

Glad that Maze is getting back to her normal, torture-happy awesome self.

Ella was back to being obnoxious again, and Pierce finally yelling at her was actually understandable.  It sucks since I really like Aimee Garcia, but she really is not given much to work with and I suspect is being directed to act like she is playing for the cheap seats in an off-Broadway play.

Episodes ends with Chloe pissed at Lucifer.... again.  I feel like they've already done this way too many times.  Maybe now is the time to bite the bullet and make Chloe find out the truth.

Someone give poor Dan an actually present instead of a severed head or fake bomb!

Looking forward to the origin episode in three weeks.

Well, it was obvious that Pierce was someone else,

Spoiler

but that he'd be Cain

, yeah, did not call that.  Overall, I liked this episode, but at least they could have made it that

Spoiler

the abducted Sinnerman after Maze took a number on him would be all bloodied or something. What, did they blew all of the special FX budget on him gauging his eyes out?

15 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Also, who was supposed to be driving the truck when they got Ersatz Sinnerman out of the station? Good thing Lt. D-L knew what they were planning.

I don't see why the Lt. didn't just take him out without the subterfuge.  Surely he has the authority to do that?  And where did they get the bomb squad uniforms from? That whole bit was just ridiculous.

59 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

Well, it was obvious that Pierce was someone else,

Hide contents

but that he'd be Cain

, yeah, did not call that.  Overall, I liked this episode, but at least they could have made it that

Hide contents

the abducted Sinnerman after Maze took a number on him would be all bloodied or something. What, did they blew all of the special FX budget on him gauging his eyes out?

It's an 8 p.m. show.

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Maybe now is the time to bite the bullet and make Chloe find out the truth.

I think they are worried of the "and then what" factor. If she accepts it, then what. She ends up dating the Devil? How would that work? Or she runs in horror and the show ends. I think they kind of have to keep Chloe in the dark until they figure out how it's going to work. If they rush it, the WILL screw it up. Of that I am 100% certain.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Ella was back to being obnoxious again, and Pierce finally yelling at her was actually understandable.

I really hope they're setting up a reveal that she's struggling with schizoaffective disorder and that she's not supposed to be perky, quirky adorable when she goes off on some manic bit.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

hope this means we will get back to the cosmic stuff, and spend less time on generic crime stuff that you can get anywhere.

Agreed. I told my friend last night that this show was basically just a procedural with a eccentric guy as lead. Almost like Castle which was good but not what I watch this for. I want this show to get back to the supernatural and make it the central focus. The whole Chloe makes Luci mortal thing needs more exploration. I feel it's been shuffled to the back burner for too long.

14 hours ago, ketose said:

Oh, and Charlotte still seems a lot more like Lucifer's mom than Charlotte Richards.

Another thing I mentioned. I know she is "awkward" but she acts like she has never interacted with humans before. She is still mom. I thought when Charlotte came back, this would give TH the chance to reinvent the character. Not sure if its the acting choice, the writing, or directing (or a combo of all) but Charlotte is acting like a Cylon.

5 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Gotham is also 8 PM show as far as I know, but it's more violent than Lucifer.

I think the "family hour" is a thing of the past. With so many people watching whenever, I don't think the move has made the show less provocative. I think that's due to the writers not being inspired and churning out crappy and/or boring product.

And count me in on the Ella annoyance. I really liked her at first, but this fan girl flit is bad.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xander874 said:

She is still mom.

I would not be at all surprised if they went this route, that mom never did go away and is still inhabiting Charlotte's body because Charlotte is not acting like a human. I get that she was in hell and traumatized, but she is acting like she doesn't know how to behave but she is supposed to be a grown human woman who married, had kids, when to school, college, law school, got a degree, had a high powered job, functioned quite well. Now it's like she is going to pick up a fork and ask what it does.

IDK what it is that changed the show, but it did change from season 1 to season 2. It could be all those random one offs they peppered this season with, it could be Leslie's pregnancy threw some storylines off, it could be adding too many new characters, but mostly I think it is that the humanized the devil too much and too fast. This is not the same guy I met and fell in love with last season. He's almost a joke now. I think they had to drop the Chloe humanizes Lucifer storyline because now he's pretty thoroughly human now. She did her damage.

If Sinnerman/Cain is the reason Lucy lost his wings and devil face I'll cry foul. It just won't make a damned bit of sense. Until proven wrong, I'm going to assume Lucy is actually slowly becoming too human, which is why he is losing his powers. Not sure how the wings would fit into that though.

• Love 2
On 12/11/2017 at 9:17 PM, Ria said:

At least they finally found a way to make me like Lieutenant Underwear Model in a scene? I kind of wished he'd taken her by the shoulders and shaken her til her empty head rattled while he was at it.

21 hours ago, johntfs said:

That said, I kind of think that Dan should leave Trixie with Ella next time.  Ella can show Trixie the cool stuff she does in the lab and Trixie can teach Ella how to comport herself as something approaching a grown woman.

Amen!  How sad is it that a six- or seven-year-old is being written as more mature and in control of herself than Ella?

10 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Hide contents

Yeah, aside from the eyes, dude looked like he'd been roughed up by a mugger, not tortured by a demon with millennia of experience tormenting the damned in Hell. Maze would know shallow cuts hurt the most without throwing the recipient into shock—Sinnerman should have looked like Frank or Julia from the Hellraiser movies in that scene. Also, Lucifer himself is being written as completely ineffectual at intimidating/punishing someone as compared to the first season where he seemed quite an expert.

I'm guessing that the whole Sinnerman-comes-to-LA thing was sparked by Lucifer's public debut there, perhaps with Cain blaming Lucifer for the Fall and the hardscrabble circumstances that led to his fratricide and wanting payback. (I guess Lucifer never stuck around to meet Adam & Eve's kids?) Perhaps prior to that he was leading a double life as policeman/criminal mastermind to pass the time and the guy we saw as Sinnerman was some orphan kid he'd lured into an Oliver Twist type situation?

• Love 2