Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Tough Love

I thought you need a license to drive a truck above a certain size.  Was this truck not big enough?

If the movement teacher taught at Manny's college, even if she was not his teacher, I would think she would lose her job for dating him.  And no matter that he talks like someone older and is of legal age, he still looks like a big kid, so a 30-old woman who is interested in him has a problem. (Maybe it would be different if she were blind and not a teacher at his college!)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 22

While tonight's episode was enjoyable, it is becoming more obvious that they don't know what to do with the kids.

The exception to this was a pretty funny setup:

"The doll is aimed at girls who are at high risk for teenage pregnancy"

. . . And cut to Hayley's talking head.

I miss the early seasons when there were four or five clever moments like this in each episode.

• Love 13

This episode was pretty sloppy. 

Why would this be the first time Cam learned about the doll stuck in the duct?

Gloria recognized the bite pretty quickly. 

Why did Phil move the bubbles back to the tub? For that matter, he should have left them in the tub to begin with. 

The baby/doll mix-up was just ridiculous. 

• Love 7

So just as Joe only appeared in a confessional last week with no other appearance in the episode, Haley does the same this week.  Also, no Alex, though at least we get a one-way phone call with her from Claire.

6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The way she grabbed the professor when Manny confirmed it was from him was hilarious, as was Jay trying to get her off her.

Wow.  Mitchell was wrong about everything this week, wasn't he?

Lily actually proved to be better with a baby than even she expected to be.  I kind of liked that surprise.

Was expecting Claire to crash the truck.  Was very surprised when she didn't.

When Phil opened the door to see Claire, I was actually expecting her to be there.  But the scene between her and Phil was nice, all the same.

Decent episode.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

This episode was pretty sloppy. 

Why would this be the first time Cam learned about the doll stuck in the duct?

Why did Phil move the bubbles back to the tub? For that matter, he should have left them in the tub to begin with. 

The baby/doll mix-up was just ridiculous.

I agree it was sloppy, I was cracking up with Phil's scenes, but my wife and I both yelled out about him just shutting the water off when the bubbles got to be too much. Then him putting them back in after he cleared them made no sense either. Claire not needing a CDL license to drive could have worked if she didn't tell Phil on her phone that she needed to top by the weigh in station. You have to stop by if you are 500 tons and above. That requires a CDL. I also see the writers still just enjoy writing the Prichard company as a bunch olice of idiots or lacking common sense. Claire having to sign off on paper work the second she walked through the door. That was fine, but constantly handing her package after package when she couldn't hold them. Plus, how the driver schedule got so screwed up. Where is the shipping manager because that is THEIR job and if he screwed that up. His ass would be written up. 

Cam's under cover 21 Jump Street cop was all screwed up. As acting VP, he would have been notified. Under cover cops like that in high school are a thing, but the Superintendents, board presidents have to OK it with the police force. Then the school principal and even Cam, who is the acting VP would have know about it. If they knew Cam would do his usual "all about me" they would have told the cop: "Just don't say anything." Mitch was going off like a complete idiot in everything. Happy with Lilly learning how well she did with a baby, but the baby doll still working after over 7 years and no updates and the guys not knowing it was there. Especially after 2 fires, don't think so. 

• Love 17
53 minutes ago, readster said:

I agree it was sloppy, I was cracking up with Phil's scenes, but my wife and I both yelled out about him just shutting the water off when the bubbles got to be too much. Then him putting them back in after he cleared them made no sense either. Claire not needing a CDL license to drive could have worked if she didn't tell Phil on her phone that she needed to top by the weigh in station. You have to stop by if you are 500 tons and above. That requires a CDL. I also see the writers still just enjoy writing the Prichard company as a bunch olice of idiots or lacking common sense. Claire having to sign off on paper work the second she walked through the door. That was fine, but constantly handing her package after package when she couldn't hold them. Plus, how the driver schedule got so screwed up. Where is the shipping manager because that is THEIR job and if he screwed that up. His ass would be written up. 

Cam's under cover 21 Jump Street cop was all screwed up. As acting VP, he would have been notified. Under cover cops like that in high school are a thing, but the Superintendents, board presidents have to OK it with the police force. Then the school principal and even Cam, who is the acting VP would have know about it. If they knew Cam would do his usual "all about me" they would have told the cop: "Just don't say anything." Mitch was going off like a complete idiot in everything. Happy with Lilly learning how well she did with a baby, but the baby doll still working after over 7 years and no updates and the guys not knowing it was there. Especially after 2 fires, don't think so. 

You said it perfectly!!! Thank you!

• Love 4

My grandpa was an OTR trucker so see Claire just pop into a semi and start driving....no.  As a special ed teacher who has fought DAILY battles over cell phone usage in class, it grated me to see someone filming a teacher.  I know, I know, it was just a show and yes he really was a 21 Jump Street cop but the whole vibe was like....."Don't need this during my off hours."  LOL!    And....as a someone who has hiked Glacier alone (at 51 years of age) I also cringed when Phil was setting up a tripod to "live stream" or whatever he was doing.  No one packs unneeded stuff.  Every ounce feels like a pound out there.  We hikers call those "bear bells" dinner bells as bears are often attracted to them.

We all knew Lily would be a champ at taking care of the real baby. Loved Jay's talk with Manny over feeling pressured to be physical. (See?  There were a few positives!)  I do agree that no 30 year old woman would be attracted to Manny.  He looks like a puffed up 15 year old.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

While tonight's episode was enjoyable, it is becoming more obvious that they don't know what to do with the kids.

Ignore them (except for Lily), the way they're doing now.

Also, I don't buy Claire being the only competent one at that company.  Can't stand her.  Don't buy her father putting her in charge.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Also, I don't buy Claire being the only competent one at that company.  Can't stand her.  Don't buy her father putting her in charge.

Can you imagine being a lifelong employee at that company, working extra, doing crap that no one else does, being the go-to person.....only to find your new boss is the boss's daughter?  Who was a SAH mom (and before anyone chaps me, I was one for YEARS) with NO experience in business, maybe even no college degree?  That she has that position because your dad gave it to you?  I can get handing the business down to your child (male or female) who has the chops to do it!  Christie Hefner pops into mind.  But no wonder no one at Closets Closets Closets likes her, or more important;y, respects her.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, jmonique said:

Pick a lane, Modern Family writers.

Because in TV land, running a small business is a hobby rather than a full time job. The magic shop will only exist when they need it for a plot. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Who was a SAH mom (and before anyone chaps me, I was one for YEARS) with NO experience in business, maybe even no college degree?

Claire does have a college degree and worked at that hotel company with Minnie Driver before she became a SAHM.  She also worked with her dad for a few years before he retired.  She’s not totally without experience. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Was expecting Claire to crash the truck.  Was very surprised when she didn't.

It was pretty funny when she donned the trucker hat, convenience store soda, and started yelling at the Prius.   A little behind-the-scenes info on that:

I do location lighting and have my commercial driving license (waiting to evacuate another load outside of Burbank, by the way).  It cracks me up how many office people just LOVE climbing around my truck and on my equipment.  It makes grown ups feel like 12 year old kids again.  So I especially enjoyed how quickly Claire got into driving the truck.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

We all knew Lily would be a champ at taking care of the real baby. Loved Jay's talk with Manny over feeling pressured to be physical. (See?  There were a few positives!)  I do agree that no 30 year old woman would be attracted to Manny.  He looks like a puffed up 15 year old.

I think he looks like a puffed up 50 year old, but agree, no 30 year old woman would be attracted to him. I did like seeing Fargo's Olivia Sandoval as his erstwhile love interest.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

But to get dropped into the CEO position?  I would be "Look Dad - I am all for taking over but let's work our way into this."  Plus Claire bugs me!!  LOL!  SHe is waaaay too anal for me.

But she wasn't just dropped into it. They worked together before he gave up the reigns.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But she wasn't just dropped into it. They worked together before he gave up the reigns.

Oh okay - in all fairness I tune a lot of Claire out.  Not all the time but I will put it this way:  Whenever my hubby and I go out to eat we look for the Wedge Salad on the menu as it was a storyline where Claire became UNCORKED at Phil not remembering that she recommended a wedge salad years ago and wanted credit for the damn salad.  Like who the hell cares??  That, and when she went through many many hoops to get the video tape to prove she was right about falling/accidentally pushed in the grocery store.  Really?  Uptight much?  LOL!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
spelling matters
  • Love 7

The episode (like most this season) was just okay for me. My favorite part was just a tiny moment at the end when Mitchell is trying to keep Lily quiet about the mix up, the face he makes at her made me laugh more than most of the other stuff in the episode. 

What is Eric Stonestreet doing to his face? His face is waxy and his eyes are pulled back, it looks like he's been hitting the plastic surgeon.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

What is Eric Stonestreet doing to his face? His face is waxy and his eyes are pulled back, it looks like he's been hitting the plastic surgeon.

I did not see that - now I have to look closer.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Can you imagine being a lifelong employee at that company, working extra, doing crap that no one else does, being the go-to person.....only to find your new boss is the boss's daughter?  Who was a SAH mom (and before anyone chaps me, I was one for YEARS) with NO experience in business, maybe even no college degree?  That she has that position because your dad gave it to you?  I can get handing the business down to your child (male or female) who has the chops to do it!  Christie Hefner pops into mind.  But no wonder no one at Closets Closets Closets likes her, or more important;y, respects her.

It wasn't like Claire wasn't there early on working with Jay. The problem is, they all come in as complete idiots. They complain about the tiniest thing, they don't get regular talk, they jump to conclusions left and right without thinking. I can get them upset that their boss of so many years left his daughter in charge instead of someone who had been working at the company longer and knew the ins and outs. However, even when Gloria showed up with the massage for Claire after the cut backs. Gloria said how they were such whiners even when Jay was in charged. Including how many of them were still working there was a miracle. Yet, much like the writers not knowing what to do with the kids, they just keep throwing it out going: "Come on it' funny! Please laugh." Speaking of which, the entire thing with Haily's baby doll showing up again out of nowhere. Really, the school never notified Phil and Claire it was missing? Also being around almost 7 years since apparently the party happened? No way it would still work or be in one piece still. Mitch also would have tossed it after showing Cam or donated it. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

I miss the early seasons when there were four or five clever moments like this in each episode.

I thought "Julia to Julios (or wherever), Ramon to Ramona, Irving to Irvine" was pretty clever. That's the type of word play they excel at.

"He's a doll" was a little contrived, though.

• Love 6

I'm more than a little tired of how flippantly this show treats careers.

Mitchell has been in a constant game of Musical Chairs with his various law jobs. Cam attempts to be a teacher for a few days before he becomes a football coach and now vice principal? Claire gets gifted a CEO job of a large company due to nothing but nepotism. And now Phil has been casually fired from a company he was a founding member of??

It's more than a little annoying and unrealistic.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I thought "Julia to Julios (or wherever), Ramon to Ramona, Irving to Irvine" was pretty clever. That's the type of word play they excel at

"Julia to Julian, Ramone to Ramona, Irving to Irvine and Dustin to Tustin".  Irvine and Tustin are neighbors in Central Orange County, Ramona is in northern San Diego County, and Julian is in north-east San Diego County.  And Hu Mi stayed home.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Cam attempts to be a teacher for a few days before he becomes a football coach and now vice principal?

Okay, I am a special ed teacher this one raised a flag with me, too.  (Yes I know it is a show, but bear with me.)  The jobs Cam has in education have two separate licenses:  Short Call Sub, regular five year with elementary ed or secondary and to be vice principal you need an administration licensure.  I know they are in California but I was like.....how did he make it to Admin so fast?  Here in MN (and I assume California) getting your admin licensure is HARD - very rigorous with lots and LOTS of education.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Mitchell has been in a constant game of Musical Chairs with his various law jobs. Cam attempts to be a teacher for a few days before he becomes a football coach and now vice principal? Claire gets gifted a CEO job of a large company due to nothing but nepotism. And now Phil has been casually fired from a company he was a founding member of??

Sad to say it is more common that you think in all of those careers. Phil decided to join the other guys two seasons ago, but it was originally their company. So forcing Phil out is very possible. For Cam, it happens in education. Someone comes into a new position after being at another school or away for a bit and then winds up getting promoted or ask because no one else wants to do the job. Education has become so hit with liberalism, budget cuts and people refusing to enter education and so many people retiring. People are going from classroom positions one year to coaching, admin in no time because there isn't anyone to fill them. Law practices are having constant problems with people who are license to practice because they are forcing out the little people to have more money or there aren't enough jobs. Truth be told though, Mitch shouldn't have the problem as he was practicing for a long while and has been part of corporate and firm legalization. In fact, Jay or Claire could find him a company legal job with no effort, but they don't want to go there.  I'm just getting tired of: Haley is a dumb ass and Alex is mean and lacks no common sense. I mean the flashback of where the baby came from and Haley explaining it was her's and why. It made her look like she never learned from anything and the part of not using a classmates "real baby" came off as: "How do you tie your shoes?" As for Manny and his professor, all kinds of wrong and majority of colleges do not allow that practice, especially in California. If she would have been a professor from another university who was guest lecturing and then they hooked up not long after. Ok, that is a different story. 

1 minute ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, I am a special ed teacher this one raised a flag with me, too.  (Yes I know it is a show, but bear with me.)  The jobs Cam has in education have two separate licenses:  Short Call Sub, regular five year with elementary ed or secondary and to be vice principal you need an administration licensure.  I know they are in California but I was like.....how did he make it to Admin so fast?  Here in MN (and I assume California) getting your admin licensure is HARD - very rigorous with lots and LOTS of education.

I just explained this too and even a hand wave of: "To keep the job, I have to get my admin license" was all that was needed. In Illinois where I am, it depends on the district but if you do go into admin you have a year to get it. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, readster said:

As for Manny and his professor, all kinds of wrong and majority of colleges do not allow that practice, especially in California. If she would have been a professor from another university who was guest lecturing and then they hooked up not long after. Ok, that is a different story. 

Yes - my hubby (loooong time ago, btw) hooked up with a professor from his grad school.  He was about to graduate, she was leaving the school and they were both heading here to MN.  She was never his instructor.  Ever.  (She taught in an area that he would have been uninterested in, btw!)  I mention it here as she was 14 years older than him, but he was 25 at the time, not 18 ala Manny.  They lasted about five months if anyone is curious!!!  LOL!

4 minutes ago, readster said:

Me too - my career is not something I pick up and out down like a hobby.  Must be nice to be Gloria, though - she seems to have no money worries, ever.  But then again she is married to Jay!

6 minutes ago, readster said:

I just explained this too and even a hand wave of: "To keep the job, I have to get my admin license" was all that was needed. In Illinois where I am, it depends on the district but if you do go into admin you have a year to get it. 

Exactly, readster!  Just a simple "I received a variance, it is quite common!"  would have taken ten seconds.  I have been at schools where someone is CLEARLY talented is a great fit for an admin job but lack the licensure - he/she receives a variance.  No biggie.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, readster said:

Phil decided to join the other guys two seasons ago, but it was originally their company. So forcing Phil out is very possible.

True, it is possible, but from what we've seen, Phil is a smart and very successful realtor, and he loves what he does. His sudden incompetence/lack of competitive drive is wildly out of character.

If I am remembering it right, Wooznam and Kanily (don't even care how those names are spelled) left the company where they all worked and they asked Phil to join them in  starting a new company. So the three of them founded the new firm. Phil joining them was the result ofa really nice conversation between Phil and Jay where Jay urged him to believe in himself and that he (Jay) would bet on Phil.

To see Phil forced out of that job was more than a little disappointing, or rather the flippancy with which it was treated.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

True, it is possible, but from what we've seen, Phil is a smart and very successful realtor, and he loves what he does. His sudden incompetence/lack of competitive drive is wildly out of character.

If I am remembering it right, Wooznam and Kanily (don't even care how those names are spelled) left the company where they all worked and they asked Phil to join them in  starting a new company. So the three of them founded the new firm. Phil joining them was the result ofa really nice conversation between Phil and Jay where Jay urged him to believe in himself and that he (Jay) would bet on Phil.

To see Phil forced out of that job was more than a little disappointing, or rather the flippancy with which it was treated.

True, but I assume that bigger and better things are coming for him as a result.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

From what we've seen, Phil is a smart and very successful realtor, and he loves what he does. His sudden incompetence/lack of competitive drive is wildly out of character

7 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

True, but I assume that bigger and better things are coming for him as a result.

They need to keep writing Phil as a successful realtor.  Part of him being a "modern dad" is Phil is available to attend his kids events.  One benefit of being a realtor, as my friends put it, is "I have a very busy, but also very flexible schedule."

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

They need to keep writing Phil as a successful realtor.  Part of him being a "modern dad" is Phil is available to attend his kids events.  One benefit of being a realtor, as my friends put it, is "I have a very busy, but also very flexible schedule."

Right and now with Haley in nowhere land, Luke at the country club and only Alex really doing something. It isn't like he has a lot to go to anymore. The magic shop is a good back drop. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, readster said:

Right and now with Haley in nowhere land, Luke at the country club and only Alex really doing something. It isn't like he has a lot to go to anymore. The magic shop is a good back drop. 

Phil could always open and run a cheer camp!  I miss Haley but I don't miss Rainer - are they still dating?  I never warmed up to them.

• Love 3

Finally a Modern Family vacation I dont want to be at! As much as I like camping, I cant say that Phil's camping trip looked like much fun. At least he got to play with bubbles. 

Why in the world was an undercover cop doing a sting operation without the administration knowing? I know its a sitcom, but still, thats a lot to ask of us, show. So they have no idea how any job work, ever? Have the writers ever actually lived in the real world? For five minutes? As others have said, the way that peoples jobs are done on this show are just really strange. They really dont seem to know how anything actually works. 

I really liked Jays talk with Manny about not doing anything physical if you dont want to do it, even if the idea of this teacher dating Manny is super weird. Both because I have no idea why she wants to be with this tiny marshmallow kid, and also because him dating his teacher is super creepy. I mean, its not high school so its not THAT bad, but its still making me raise an eyebrow. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Phil could always open and run a cheer camp!  I miss Haley but I don't miss Rainer - are they still dating?  I never warmed up to them.

They broke up awhile ago, that story only lasted for a couple of episodes. I didn't like them as a couple, but I loved the character of Rainer. Nathan Fillion is adorable and his character fit very well with the type of humor the show goes for. I would have liked to see him around as a friend of Phil's, but was a little squicked by him dating (and proposing to) Haley. 

From what we've seen, Phil is a smart and very successful realtor, and he loves what he does. His sudden incompetence/lack of competitive drive is wildly out of character

I took this to mean that maybe the other realtors were willing to go to unscrupulous means to sell a house where Phil is a pretty honest guy. That was how I read the "lacking the killer instinct" comment. I could be wrong, but that was my interpretation.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Why in the world was an undercover cop doing a sting operation without the administration knowing?

No kidding - nowadays a new student would be noticed right away.

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

because I have no idea why she wants to be with this tiny marshmallow kid,

This.  Of all the young bucks you want to pluck, you pick Manny?

• Love 5

Phil's physical comedy makes up for the rest of the show.

Yes, as mentioned, it bugged me to death Claire was driving that truck.  Without a CDL license.  I would think a company could get a huge fine for that.  Plus its VERY dangerous, not matter how manly it makes her feel

And Manny and the teacher.........yeah........is the show completely tone deaf about what has happened recently with sexual abuse and harassment by people in power?  You can't date a student as a teacher or professor, as much as its often joked about on TV.  Even if he is not in your class, a professor would have to be an idiot to take that risk. 

Also I hate the Prictchett's new kitchen.  Not only do I just not like the style in general, which seems to be some sort of "modern country" theme, it doesn't seem to go at all with the style of the rest of the house. 

And if there is an undercover cop in a school, wouldn't the police department tell the principal and VP? 

I know, its a TV show, but the ignorance needed to overlook some of these things is annoying at times. 

23 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

All true. 

Not to mention Haley just drifting as a blogger or party planner or whatever she does

The parents encouraging Manny with his "artistic" side even though it seems he has very little talent in it.  He will end up sponging off them too with no job when he is done is my guess. 

The show can be funny but has a completely unrealistic view of careers and finances. 

Oh and lets not forget Phil/Claire earlier this season :  I will buy you a (failing) magic shop because its your lifelong dream!!!!  We can run a small money draining business in our spare time

I guess though Phil now has a chance to run it full time

• Love 8
22 hours ago, jhlipton said:

"Julia to Julian, Ramone to Ramona, Irving to Irvine and Dustin to Tustin".  Irvine and Tustin are neighbors in Central Orange County, Ramona is in northern San Diego County, and Julian is in north-east San Diego County.  And Hu Mi stayed home.

And Visalia is a 3+ hour drive from LA (185 miles).  Though I knew when that was announced as Claire's destination, her path would somehow cross with Phil's adventure, just another hour or so beyond Visalia.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yes, as mentioned, it bugged me to death Claire was driving that truck.  Without a CDL license.  I would think a company could get a huge fine for that.  Plus its VERY dangerous, not matter how manly it makes her feel

It was a large box truck, not a semi.  When she first climbed in and crashed forward instead of going reverse, we saw it was a box truck, just like the ones anyone can rent from Budget or Penske.  Of course, they (mis)played up the *trucker* role with her truck weight quotes and airhorn blasts.  And driving any high profile vehicle over the Grapevine to get to Visalia would be challenging. On flat land, not so much.

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Why in the world was an undercover cop doing a sting operation without the administration knowing? I know its a sitcom, but still, thats a lot to ask of us,...

I just blamed that on being the *acting* VP. He was kept out of the loop because it's mostly a bogus faux position and the district just needs a placeholder until the original returns or a newbie is hired. Not exactly realistic, but sitcom realistic.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

driving any high profile vehicle over the Grapevine to get to Visalia would be challenging.

Driving any vehicle over the Grapevine can be challenging!  It's really "fun" at night!

The undercover cop videoing Cam also did not ring true,  because why would he draw attention to himself with the video --even to get accepted by other kids?  Usually the kids doing illegal stuff keep a low profile to go under the radar.

Also, new kids show up ALL the time in schools in these days of mobile population. I had 2 new on9e this past week. 

The administration or police not telling Cam about the undercover cop could be for all the reasons you all said above, plus Cam being a big mouth talker so admin decides to freeze him out.   I had a friend who was an admin at a hospital/research facility back in the 70's /80's  who was NOT told for months  about AIDS research there because she was definitely a talker. She told us about it later when she moved to a different job. ;)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Tosia said:

The undercover cop videoing Cam also did not ring true,  because why would he draw attention to himself with the video --even to get accepted by other kids?  Usually the kids doing illegal stuff keep a low profile to go under the radar.

Also, new kids show up ALL the time in schools in these days of mobile population. I had 2 new on9e this past week. 

The administration or police not telling Cam about the undercover cop could be for all the reasons you all said above, plus Cam being a big mouth talker so admin decides to freeze him out.   I had a friend who was an admin at a hospital/research facility back in the 70's /80's  who was NOT told for months  about AIDS research there because she was definitely a talker. She told us about it later when she moved to a different job. ;)

Which also continues to ring false on the undercover 21 Jump street, because he would have been told: "Don't talk or have Cam involved in anything, he makes it all about himself and has a BIG mouth. So you keep quiet." 

• Love 1
On 12/10/2017 at 8:37 AM, Tosia said:

Yes I agree, I work at a school with a highly mobile/homeless population. 

20 hours ago, readster said:

Which also continues to ring false on the undercover 21 Jump street, because he would have been told: "Don't talk or have Cam involved in anything, he makes it all about himself and has a BIG mouth. So you keep quiet." 

I agree - and I love Cam, he is one of my favorite characters but he makes it hard to like him sometimes.  He is such a blabbermouth and in education you gotta keep it zipped!!

• Love 3

Haven't watched this show for a few seasons because in my opinion it had jumped the shark.  Please, unless you're a soap opera, stop while you're ahead, usually after three to five seasons.

My main problems:

The writing isn't funny.

The adults I still appreciate as actors, but they're given nothing to go with.

Lily, still a horrible actor.

Manny, still a horrible actor.

Luke, funny during the first few seasons, but has not aged well.

Gloria and Jay's little boy (Charlie?)  Too nauseatingly cute for his own good.

• Love 3
On 12/8/2017 at 9:33 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not to mention Haley just drifting as a blogger or party planner or whatever she does

The parents encouraging Manny with his "artistic" side even though it seems he has very little talent in it.  He will end up sponging off them too with no job when he is done is my guess. 

The show can be funny but has a completely unrealistic view of careers and finances. 

Oh and lets not forget Phil/Claire earlier this season :  I will buy you a (failing) magic shop because its your lifelong dream!!!!  We can run a small money draining business in our spare time

I guess though Phil now has a chance to run it full time

I agree that the show is flaky with the careers and finances, but there is an element of realism there. In rich families, parents basically support their kids' dreams/goals. Jay's wealth is the safety net that allows everyone to indulge themselves.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I agree that the show is flaky with the careers and finances, but there is an element of realism there. In rich families, parents basically support their kids' dreams/goals. Jay's wealth is the safety net that allows everyone to indulge themselves.

It is a stark and realistic contrast to The Middle where in one episode the kids werw fighting among themselves to hold on to a minimum wage job.  This includes the kid with a college degree.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2017 at 11:53 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I find the Middle to be much more realistic in terms of finances than Modern Family. 

Yes and no - yes, they do mention money, but then the Heck family is always doing things like eating takeout for dinner. A family of five would definitely not be doing that multiple times a week, as even McD's could rack up $30-$40 a meal.

But IMO a sitcom can't entirely be bound by the realities of finance, simply because it limits their storylines. At least shows like The Middle throw a nod to the subject, whereas MF doesn't at all. What difference does it make that Mitch and Cam made a passing mention of losing the income of the upstairs apartment for the last year when we have seen absolutely NO changes in their lifestyle? IIRC, in the episode where Lionel mentioned horseback riding lessons and Lily wanted them too, Mitch and Cam's sole objection was having to wake up early on Saturdays and drive her, not that it would be a big expense.

• Love 1