Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: A Brisket, Voodoo and Cannonball Run

• Start Topic

Okay, well, I liked this episode, and I think it was because Sheldon wasn't that prominent until he swooped in with the recipe. It seemed a little more George-centric and it looks like the beginning of the fights that he will be having with Mary. When he said something to the effect of "over my dead body" (don't remember the exact scene) I shivered. LOL at Missy throwing George Jr. under the bus. She clearly has the highest social intelligence of the family and probably got it from Meemaw.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I can't believe Sheldon could remember being 23 months old. Yeah, he's a genius, but still...

I like it that we're seeing the beginning of them recognizing Sheldon's eidetic memory.  They looked pretty confused, as would any parent whose child just recited a recipe he heard at 23 months of age!  Missy is one smart little girl!  She sure knows how to pass the buck when it comes to getting in trouble.  

From Wikipedia: "When the concepts are distinguished, eidetic memory is reported to occur in a small number of children and as something generally not found in adults, while true photographic memory has never been demonstrated to exist."

• Love 3

That was a downer. I don't like to watch people fight over petty stuff. Meemaw has had 15 years to get used to the fact that George knocked up Mary; time to get over it.

Just now, ChitChat said:

I like it that we're seeing the beginning of them recognizing Sheldon's eidetic memory.

Eidetic *and* echoic.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

I think what made it hard for me was knowing. . .

Exactly.

1 minute ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Okay, I'm on my phone so I can't put in spoiler block.  Will one of you do it for me?  If you watch Big Bang you know what I want to say.

Here goes:

Spoiler

Per BBT canon, George dies when Sheldon's 14. Before his death he was a drunk and a womanizer - if this show sticks with the canon, we should see the beginnings of the drinking and womanizing very soon. He'll also gain more weight since BBT Sheldon said they had to order an oversize coffin for him. I actually wouldn't mind if this show removes the drinking and womanizing since it's already sad to watch as it is.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Exactly.

Here goes:

Hide contents

Per BBT canon, George dies when Sheldon's 14. Before his death he was a drunk and a womanizer - if this show sticks with the canon, we should see the beginnings of the drinking and womanizing very soon. He'll also gain more weight since BBT Sheldon said they had to order an oversize coffin for him. I actually wouldn't mind if this show removes the drinking and womanizing since it's already sad to watch as it is.

Putting this in spoilers.

Spoiler

I watched an old episode recently, when Sheldon gets sick. I thought I heard him tell Penny he was 16 and teaching abroad when his mother had to go home suddenly to help his father put the house back on blocks. So continuity error or was George Sr's ghost hanging around the house and decided to give Mary a call?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

From Wikipedia: "When the concepts are distinguished, eidetic memory is reported to occur in a small number of children and as something generally not found in adults, while true photographic memory has never been demonstrated to exist."

Yep, it's a concept that only the TV people think is all too common.

Aww, I really enjoyed how lovingly and respectfully George gathered the ingredients and prepared the brisket. 

I am glad they gave Lance Barber more to do. 

Yes, I want brisket now, too. I have only had the meager scraps left on a plate by my nephew. They were cold, but it made me realize freshly prepared brisket must be yummy, if not artery-clogging. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 2

Okay, here's my random thought for this episode--I get really irritated when they run the Jim Parsons Intel commercials during this show.  With him narrating the show and then showing up in the commercials, it is this weird thing for me of not being able to completely separate the show from the ads.  I mean, I'm sure that's why they are doing it, but I don't like it.  There, I said it!

Missy is still my favorite and her standing is solidified with each episode, but I liked George Jr a bit more in this episode.  I didn't not like him before, but it seemed like the writers weren't really sure what to do with him most of the time.  He seemed to "fit" better in this episode. (Also, I've realized that Sheldon is probably my least favorite character in this show, so I like the non-Sheldon-centered episodes best).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

That was a downer. I don't like to watch people fight over petty stuff. Meemaw has had 15 years to get used to the fact that George knocked up Mary; time to get over it.

My elderly mother has always carried grudges against any family members related by marriage, and yes, it's exhausting. I skipped last week and might not watch anymore. While the audience has to be familiar with the situation to find a joke funny, I am not amused—just too familiar.

1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

They did a great job casting the kids. Missy and Sheldon definitely look like twins, and George Jr. definitely looks like their brother.  Although they do not look like their parents, other than their coloring.

However, the actor who plays Sheldon's father looks like adult Sheldon, albeit with a completely different build.  Facially, though...there is a lot of resemblance.  I don't think the kids are so far off from the parents, appearance-wise, that I can't buy it.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:10 AM, rhys said:

Am I the only one who is now craving brisket?

Nope.  I am too! 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:16 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Aww, I really enjoyed how lovingly and respectfully George gathered the ingredients and prepared the brisket. 

Me too!  He was so excited.  I knew that it was not the real recipe and I was actually pissed at MeeMaw considering how much care George was taking with it.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Missy is still my favorite and her standing is solidified with each episode, but I liked George Jr a bit more in this episode.  I didn't not like him before, but it seemed like the writers weren't really sure what to do with him most of the time.  He seemed to "fit" better in this episode. (Also, I've realized that Sheldon is probably my least favorite character in this show, so I like the non-Sheldon-centered episodes best).

I was glad to see George Jr. have a bigger part in this episode, too. 

Missy and Sheldon aren't any closer, biologically, than Missy and George or Sheldon and George, and I don't see a particular resemblance between them, but the three young actors all *act* like siblings growing up in the same house. I think they're all great. 

• Love 6

Poor Georgie, punished for something Missy did.  Missy was awesome with her quick thinking, but then the remorse on her face when Georgie was punished was awesome.

I forgot that Missy and Sheldon were twins.  I wondered why they were sharing a bedroom, and not Sheldon and Georgie in together as the two boys.

Family grudges are like that.  My mother held one against her dad's second wife, whom he married at the behest of my mother's mother when she passed away when my mother was an adult with four children .  She resented my grandma that entire time, I'd like to say until my grandma died two years ago, but the truth is my mom still holds that grudge.  For a dead woman.  Makes no sense...but there you are.  That's how family grudges are, they're self-sustaining.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Although they do not look like their parents, other than their coloring.

My brother and I looked nothing like our parents when we were younger, which led to one of my friends asking if we were adopted!  We weren't.  As we've gotten older though, the resemblance is there.  Anyway, I didn't like the way Connie kept calling George a "dope" under her breath, much the way I hated when Deborah on Everybody Loves Raymond called Ray an "idiot."  I just don't like that, but people are entitled to their opinions about other people, especially when it comes to family.  I can understand why Connie doesn't like George, but after all of these years, she really needs to get over it.  Thing is, apparently he turns out to be what she didn't like, so unfortunately I guess her suspicions about him turn about to be true.  

It's interesting to find out that Mary was pregnant with Georgie before they got married, seeing as how she's pretty vocal with grown-up Sheldon about how people shouldn't "live in sin."  No judgment.  Just another piece of the Sheldon family puzzle I find interesting!  Seeing a glimpse of George's past (in Connie's eyes) helps to make sense of the man we know he turns out to be. 

• Love 4

Me too,  jumper sage!  I love being able to reference things on TBBT back to what we're seeing on this show.  I don't expect everything to be perfect as far as explanations go, but seeing Sheldon's youth being played out is a lot of fun to watch.  I especially love the intro "Mighty Little Man" indeed!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Me too,  jumper sage!  I love being able to reference things on TBBT back to what we're seeing on this show.  I don't expect everything to be perfect as far as explanations go, but seeing Sheldon's youth being played out is a lot of fun to watch.  I especially love the intro "Mighty Little Man" indeed!

Exactly I too love the references back to the original show.  It has a sweet bent to it too.  Love Missy and Meemaw.  The casting is perfect.

• Love 2

I’m feeling very tender hearted or something. George is such a well-meaning dad to such a baffling prodigy kid, that I really hate to see Mary being so myopic (or something) as to side with Connie, whose bitterness and spite has wearied me of the character already. I don’t want to see George self-destruct. I mean, in Greek-tragedy terms, it’s his destiny to do so.  Doesn’t mean I have to like it — or watch it. 

I think I’ll just remember the good times up to and including the family trip to NASA in Houston and let it go at that. (Heck, I’ve pretty much given up on TBBT except for Amy, Stuart, Raj and Howie.  Those characters  still have some good development arcs and the actors are nailing it.)

• Love 1

I like the show, but this episode showed an ugly side of Meemaw and the way she treated George made me uncomfortable.  It does align with how she treated Amy in later years, but I find her to be a throughly dislikable character. 

George has turned into a surprisingly sympathetic character considering current day Sheldon's recollections of him. I do like the kids very much and think the young actors are doing a good job.  I could do without hateful Meemaw.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I’m feeling very tender hearted or something. George is such a well-meaning dad to such a baffling prodigy kid, that I really hate to see Mary being so myopic (or something) as to side with Connie, whose bitterness and spite has wearied me of the character already. I don’t want to see George self-destruct.

I haven't seen this episode yet so I am basing my comment on this and similar remarks in this thread and I hope I am wrong  but this sure sounds like a typical Lorre move where a man's behavior, and misbehavior all comes down to how he is treated by the women in his life.  If they are setting things up that George becomes an alcoholic womanizer because of Mary I WILL NOT BE HAPPY.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Wildflowers said:

I like the show, but this episode showed an ugly side of Meemaw and the way she treated George made me uncomfortable.  It does align with how she treated Amy in later years, but I find her to be a throughly dislikable character. 

George has turned into a surprisingly sympathetic character considering current day Sheldon's recollections of him. I do like the kids very much and think the young actors are doing a good job.  I could do without hateful Meemaw.

Me, too..,and you can add Missy to that...she's just like her.

• Love 1

Having grown up with two grandmothers who each hated their child-in-law, I had no idea that the way MeeMaw was treating George was weird.  My maternal grandmother was always snipping at my father and talking about him behind his back and my paternal grandmother was always letting my mother know that she was not good enough for my father.  So, it's interesting to see the comments for this episode.  I don't think either one of my parents would have ever even dreamt of asking for anything from their respective mothers-in-law.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who is now craving brisket?

That opening shot where they're cutting into it was positively yummy. But at the very end when George finally gets the recipe, his brisket didn't look anything like it, so I figured it was going to turn out she fooled him again.

I got a kick out of Missy eavesdropping and blaming George Jr. And then later you hear her laughing at something Mary says from another room, and Mary yells "Missy!" and she yells back "You don't know it's me!"

• Love 8

Meemaw was mean to George but I didn't have all that much sympathy.  She doesn't want to share her recipe, that should be her decision to make.  If George doesn't like that.  Too bad. And breaking into her house?  Way over the line.

• Love 4
On 12/7/2017 at 9:33 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I can't believe Sheldon could remember being 23 months old. Yeah, he's a genius, but still...

I can remember my baby sister coming home from the hospital when I was 23 months old. I also remember a great grandmother that died before that. My older brother is the same way....we remember way back and much more of our childhoods. 28 first cousins in our generation and it is my brother and me everyone consults. It is just the two of us that are like this.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Meemaw was mean to George but I didn't have all that much sympathy.  She doesn't want to share her recipe, that should be her decision to make.  If George doesn't like that.  Too bad. And breaking into her house?  Way over the line.

It wasn't just that she didn't want to share the recipe, it's that she was rude and insulting to him while she did it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

It wasn't just that she didn't want to share the recipe, it's that she was rude and insulting to him while she did it.

Oh absolutely.  But even with that, buy a clue, George, leave her alone.  It's her recipe and she shouldn't have to give it to you if she doesn't want to.  This attitude annoys me excessively - the "I asked you for something so you have to give it to me" attitude.  No, no I don't.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Oh absolutely.  But even with that, buy a clue, George, leave her alone.  It's her recipe and she shouldn't have to give it to you if she doesn't want to.  This attitude annoys me excessively - the "I asked you for something so you have to give it to me" attitude.  No, no I don't.  

Well, it really was about more than the brisket recipe; it was about the way she's treated him like shit ever since he got Mary pregnant, and even after he stepped up and did the honorable thing and married her. He didn't just take off in the middle of the night, leaving Mary to be just another unwed mother.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I don't remember the whole beginning but I thought George was pretty casual about the recipe, talking about "someday." Then MeeMaw got him all excited finally giving it to him only to write down a nasty note. 

If he kept bugging her after accepting "someday" at first, please refresh my memory. Growing old sucks and I wish I had Sheldon's memory.

• Love 2
On December 8, 2017 at 0:40 PM, Mystery said:

I don't see a particular resemblance between them, but the three young actors all *act* like siblings growing up in the same house. I think they're all great. 

I agree with this. I wonder if they got the kids together before they started rehearsing so they would be closer together. They may not have a physical resemblance, but I totally believe they are siblings. 

On December 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Poor Georgie, punished for something Missy did.  Missy was awesome with her quick thinking, but then the remorse on her face when Georgie was punished was awesome.

I forgot that Missy and Sheldon were twins.  I wondered why they were sharing a bedroom, and not Sheldon and Georgie in together as the two boys.

You have a good point about the rooms. My guess is that when Missy and Sheldon were babies it made sense to have them in the same room. As they grew up, they may have been okay with it. It doesn't seem like Missy and Sheldon mind sharing a room. I imagine as Missy and Sheldon get older, she may want privacy and force Sheldon to move in with Georgie. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

If he kept bugging her after accepting "someday" at first, please refresh my memory. Growing old sucks and I wish I had Sheldon's memory.

Not that he kept bugging her, although he did a bit, the main thing was he broke into her house to try and steal the recipe.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I know it's a comedy, but, for me, if I were MeeMaw, even I did resent George for once being "the bad boy" (see "Seinfeld"), and impregnating my young Christian daughter, he definitely has since then been conducting himself in a rather honorable way. He's not the best husband or father, but he is certainly trying. And the thing is, he LOVES MeeMaw's brisket. There is nothing more delicious than this brisket. I would be so flattered if someone thought so highly of something I had created. So his respect and love for it, as I noted earlier, would've softened me considerably.

And if you love and respect something I created, there is a chance that you might even love and respect me a little!

• Love 7

The "you impregnated my daughter" thing grosses me out. It's not even close to being implied that Mary herself was not an active participant and equally responsible for it happening. Hating George over it is just really insulting to them both, especially after all these years of them being married and what seems so far like a pretty good match.

• Love 8
On 12/7/2017 at 9:33 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I have distinct visual memories of having my tonsils out at around 30 months so it's possible.  Recipes, not so much.

We all know that Sheldon is academically smart, but we've seen time and time again, especially in this episode, that Missy is really street smart.  I like seeing how each of the kids are really smart in their own way.  I hope that they find a way to elevate Georgie as well and not keep him a "dumb jock."

• Love 2

I didn’t like this episode as much as some of the others....I thought George breaking into Meemaw’s house to steal the recipe was definitely crossing the line, but.....I don’t like the way she was treating him either. Someone else drew a comparison with Everyone Loves Raymond and that’s definitely it for me! I hated all the under-the-breath mutterings about how stupid someone else was on that show, and I didn’t like it here either. 

Assuming that Mary was just as much an active participant in becoming pregnant with Georgie as George was, which she most certainly was or this would be a whole different show, it’s time for Meemaw to get over it. George and Mary are married with three kids and seem to be reasonably happy and well adjusted. Let it go, Meemaw. 

That being said, I enjoyed George and Missy much more in this episode than Sheldon. Missy is quickly becoming my favorite. 

It cracked me up that Mary was jealous of the way that George was rubbing down the brisket. Lol! 

Also, the longer this show goes on, I keep being blown away by how much Zoe Perry resembles her Mom....both her voice AND her mannerisms. I feel like every time I watch Young Sheldon, my brain flashes back to Roseanne. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SparklesBitch said:

Also, the longer this show goes on, I keep being blown away by how much Zoe Perry resembles her Mom....both her voice AND her mannerisms. I feel like every time I watch Young Sheldon, my brain flashes back to Roseanne. 

She played young Jackie a couple of times on the show, too. They do have an amazing resemblance including, as you say, her voice. 

• Love 5