Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Smooth Jazz and a Weird Floaty Eye

paulvdb

Songbird - the show really does rely way too much on Bonnie's antics. Clearly they see Allison Janney as the main draw here but I'm really tired of the whole show revolving around her. At least Christy got something to do in this episode, because it seems like every episode this season has been a Bonnie story. Even this one was mostly a Bonnie story. Marjorie and Wendy had about two lines each. 

So apparently Christy does still work at the restaurant. We haven't seen her working in a long time.

• Love 3

Agreed with the above.  It's like how Sheldon took over "The Big Bang Theory".  Small doses - quirky and funny.  Making him the main character - obnoxious, annoying and UNWELCOME.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

So apparently Christy does still work at the restaurant. We haven't seen her working in a long time.

To be fair, Christy has mentioned work, or is dressed in her waitress uniform going to or coming back from work, but yes, we have definitely not seen her working in an age.

Agreed about Bonnie eating the show, but I've only noticed it the last couple of episodes, as opposed to last season where it was more of an ensemble.

• Love 3

This probably sounds awful, but I was really glad to see in the previews that the next episode is going to be about

Spoiler

death.

The dark episodes of this show have consistently been the best, IMO.

I'm guessing Marjorie's husband bites it?

• Love 1

Bonnie was really unpleasant this episode. Her reactions to Adam and his money or potential money was uncomfortable and just not funny. I just think 2017 has worn me down or I'm losing my sense of humor. When Adam has become more enjoyable than Bonnie, something has gone off the rails. 

Good: The two actors playing brothers were believable enough that I could buy they were related. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Agreed about Bonnie eating the show, but I've only noticed it the last couple of episodes, as opposed to last season where it was more of an ensemble.

I agree.  I like the show better as an ensemble, and I think it's an ensemble that should revolve around Christy.  Bonnie is fun in small doses, and she at times has shown some awareness and growth.  One thing I liked about Violet and Roscoe being on the show, is that while Christy is not as bad as Bonnie, she had not been a good mother to Violet and Roscoe, and was trying to improve.  It somewhat explained why Christy would keep giving Bonnie chances.

I did think Christy and Bonnie's conversation at the end was funny especially the part about if they end up with the brothers that it won't be the strangest thing they've ever done, and is not that weird for the two of them.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 2

I recently watched a couple of season one episodes and was shocked (literally) at the difference in Bonnie. Good Lord what happened??? She was so NICE...Still brazen, still funny, still crazy as hell, but nice to her daughter, nice to her grandkids, nice to EVERYBODY and pleasant to be around.

Why on earth did they feel the need to change her?

• Love 2

I guess I'm the only one but I LOVE  Bonnie.  Bonnie is the one who keeps me watching. I love everything about the character, even when she's mean and rotten. I personally wouldn't want her character to be nice and sweet, there's enough people like that on the show. I'm not big on drama shows so I've never seen Alison Janney in anything else except Juno and I really like her.   Bonnie can be an asshole but she does some nice things too, I have a friend a lot like Bonnie (ironically, her name is Christy) and I adore her.  I think the character of Bonnie is perfect the way she is now. 

Out of every one on the show, Christie is my least favorite.  I just don't think Anna Faris is a very good actress, I don't know how to explain it but she always looks like she's acting. Yeah, I know how stupid that sounds.  

• Love 9
On 12/12/2017 at 10:26 PM, Maharincess said:

I guess I'm the only one but I LOVE  Bonnie.

You are not alone.  I love Bonnie too.

I personally wouldn't want her character to be nice and sweet,

Who wants to see that on a comedy?

I know the actress who plays Jill is on maternity leave, but I do think the show is suffering with infrequent appearances from Marjorie and Wendy.  More diner scenes with Marjorie and Wendy please.

• Love 6

I'm watching this weeks later, and my first reaction was... Stephen Weber... he's been in like, every show, and played everyone's straight man, dad, romantic interest... he's like the male MIssy Pyle :D :D. But it's always a treat to see him!

Though isn't he REALLY old to go for Christi???

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Big Mother said:

Though isn't he REALLY old to go for Christi???

We don't know how old his character is but Weber is 15 years older than Anna.  So I guess it depends. He's older than most older brothers would be and while he'd technically be old enough to be her father, he's really not in the "father's age" category.

I guess I'm the only one but I LOVE  Bonnie.  Bonnie is the one who keeps me watching. I love everything about the character, even when she's mean and rotten. I personally wouldn't want her character to be nice and sweet, there's enough people like that on the show. I'm not big on drama shows so I've never seen Alison Janney in anything else except Juno and I really like her.   Bonnie can be an asshole but she does some nice things too, I have a friend a lot like Bonnie (ironically, her name is Christy) and I adore her.  I think the character of Bonnie is perfect the way she is now. 

Out of every one on the show, Christie is my least favorite.  I just don't think Anna Faris is a very good actress, I don't know how to explain it but she always looks like she's acting. Yeah, I know how stupid that sounds.  

I love Bonnie too!!  She makes me laugh.