Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: The Champagne Campaign

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Tensions within the crew run high on the final night of the charter season; Timothy Sykes micromanages the crew; Jen tries to be on her best behavior; Nico summons the courage to end things with Brianna; Jen attempts to mend things with Kate.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I liked the fireworks.

Nico is a douche and a coward., and not all that... chiseled jaw?

Jen needs to become permanent mime, she’s one of those people who, if you look at her wrong, she’ll accuse you of disrespecting her.

Why should Karma hit Bri?  Nico was the one who “cheated.”  Bri wasn’t “cheating “ on anyone.  I hate it when folks blame women for men cheating.

Nice that Captain Lee mentioned Hurricane Maria and how it hit the Caribbean , especially St Martin.

They started the season with the black screen about the hurricanes too.  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Martinigirl said:

That a$$hole charter guest is already on twitter bragging about the size of his tip (gratuity) :)

I really hope that fucking guy knows he's an asshole and is just amping it up for entertainment.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Nico sure took the wimpy way out with Brianna. I'm sure she felt stupid when she realized her he dumped her for his ex, not to take care of his family.

Pisses me off that he used his dead brother to dump Bri. He makes me ill.

1 minute ago, Michichick said:

I really hope that fucking guy knows he's an asshole and is just amping it up for entertainment.

I don't think he has a clue that he's an asshole. I truly believe he thinks he's the man. Ewwwwwwwww

Edited by Martinigirl
  • Love 12

When he's not drunk or in his head I actually really like Matt. Of everyone I think he had the most growth and I liked that he saw his faults and tried to fix them.

Bri doesn't know what was up with Nico every since the hotel? Um ... he banged you and was done, that's what was up. 

I can't even with Jen. There's just no reasoning or talking to her because she didn't hear what is being said, she only hears what she wants to hear. Such a martyr.

New Below Deck Med season, huh? Any word on that crew? I wasn't really a fan of any of the previous Med crew, so.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, fifty8th said:

I don't know if I will stick around if Nico is bosun next season.

I really didn't understand the point of Nico getting those stripes after the last charter was over. It's not like he's in the military and now the bosun rank somehow follows him everywhere, right? I mean, we've seen on the Med version that someone could be chief stew on one boat and second stew on the next, so I don't feel like he's automatically guaranteed bosun on his next boat. But I sure don't want to see Nico on this show ever again, regardless of title.

• Love 11

$30K  excellent tip.  Looks like they really liked that lame circus party.  I guess you had to be there, but what a mess.  I would be on the back deck getting high and staring at the moon.

Good job Matt, finally.   Kate should have been doing the menu from Day 2.

Jen.  Just ugh...  Stupid and delusional to the end.  "It was a good team"  lol  well except for Jen being a member.  That scene at the bar was just dreadful.  Give it up, girlfriend.  Never set foot an a yacht again.  I can't imagine any real yacht hiring her.

Nico, take your chin and hairline and whatever else and go crawling back to your girlfriend.  After hours of begging I hope she kicks you in the nuts; and then kicks you to the curb.  Nice job on the promotion though.  I suppose he deserved it.

He then of course and went all chickenshit and didn't really "break up" with Bri, just has to bail for the family.  Using the dead brother AGAIN as an excuse for whatever he wants.  Bri seemed to buy it though.  Maybe she just wants to, or doesn't really care either way.  She has a good attitude, let's it slide and moves on.  Even Jen didn't rile her up all that much.

Will we ever find out how the brother died?

Kyle gets more psycho every week.  Huh???

Bruno was sweet, as always.  Baker too.

"They did a good job, in spite of themselves"  Ha ha.

Captain Lee being the ultimate diplomat.

• Love 7

So Nico hit his funny bone and had to go to the hospital and then take to his bed for, what?  Three days?  While Bruno practically flayed the skin off his leg and kept working.

When Jen was dressing up in the mime outfit, she said, "So I'll go out there looking like an idiot," and I said, "Well, you know, there are truth-in-packaging laws."

In his parting speech, Tim Sykes said he was surprised that the charter was as good as it was, since based on his previous experience he thought he'd be disappointed.  Who goes on a second charter with the expectation of having a lousy time except someone so in love with his own doughy face on TV that he can't resist doing it again?

48 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Will we ever find out how the brother died?

The story is that he fell off a third-floor balcony after a night spent drinking. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I liked the fireworks.

Jen needs to become permanent mime, she’s one of those people who, if you look at her wrong, she’ll accuse you of disrespecting her.

Why should Karma hit Bri?  Nico was the one who “cheated.”  Bri wasn’t “cheating “ on anyone.  I hate it when folks blame women for men cheating.

Nice that Captain Lee mentioned Hurricane Maria and how it hit the Caribbean , especially St Martin.

I'm hoping he was joking about the chiseled jaw....cause he has a weenie little man jaw.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Michichick said:

I really didn't understand the point of Nico getting those stripes after the last charter was over. It's not like he's in the military and now the bosun rank somehow follows him everywhere, right? I mean, we've seen on the Med version that someone could be chief stew on one boat and second stew on the next, so I don't feel like he's automatically guaranteed bosun on his next boat. But I sure don't want to see Nico on this show ever again, regardless of title.

Maritime work and Yachting  ranking changes depending on the boat/sjip you board. Hours sailed & worked, experience, schooling being some of the deciding factors. His stripes, experience as a Bosun may have some merit when he charters another boat but someone with more experience and sailing time may outrank him. So he will be lesser ranked if he works a more experienced crew but its possible he could be Bosun as well since he was given the title on another boat. He would just wear the needed epaulets to show his rank. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

There is a certain amount of responsibility you take actively pursuing someone that you know is in a relationship. Is Bri as culpable as Nico, the actual cheater and overall douchecanoe? Of course not. But she herself kept trying to assuage her own guilt, that she’s not “that girl” after it happened, so clearly she got it. She just didn’t care. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 21

Nico gets the prize for biggest douche of the season!  He did not do his job well, denigrated the guy who was hired to help him out, feigned injury so he could lay in bed being waited on by the girl who he dumped his girlfriend for and then when he no longer needed her services, lied to her and dumped her, too!  I tried to feel bad for him but using his brother's death as a "get out of jail free card" is low, low, low.

• Love 21

I dont feel bad for Brianna. If Nico hadnt beat her to the punch by ending things, SHE would've dumped Nico. She's young and having fun with her unique job, and all of the attention she gets from men working on the yacht. Supply and demand. It's a yacht with very few women on it. Bri probably doesn't get that kind of attention in the real world.....too much competition with women who are a thousand times prettier than Bri. That's life! 

• Love 4

I was waiting for Jen to say she is not pursuing anything in the industry further. I do not agree that leaving one's young daughter for weeks at a time is a viable option, even putting aside her lack of aptitude for the job. Do we think the stupid line Jen gave was a sign off from yachting?  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

The story is that he fell off a third-floor balcony after a night spent drinking. 

Thanks!  From what I've seen of the rest of the family, I'm not surprised.  A tragic accident of personal stupidity vs. the heartwarming "battling some rare disease" story.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:
10 hours ago, Neurochick said:

There is a certain amount of responsibility you take actively pursuing someone that you know is in a relationship. Is Bri as culpable as Nico, the actual cheater and overall douchecanoe? Of course not. But she herself kept trying to assuage her own guilt, that she’s not “that girl” after it happened, so clearly she got it. She just didn’t care. 

Edited 6 hours ago by VagueDisclaimer.

That's a pretty big assumption (up there in bold)  that I was blaming Bri for Nico's cheating because she is a woman. I am blaming Bri for her behavior as a conspirator in Nico's bad behavior. You help someone commit murder and you are charged with the same felony as the person who actually  pulls the trigger. And frankly, it's the height of shit heel  behavior to say, "Well, I wasn't the one cheating. He was." Right, you just got in the sack with him and helped make the cheating a  fait accompli. And for the record, if Bri were a man, I would hold him to the same standard.

Bri's hands aren't clean in this, and karma came for her early. From the looks of the post upthread about Captain Lee's posts, it looks like Karma has an appointment with Nico, too. 

And maybe I am just a little pissed at Bri for being dumb enough to think the cad cheater would be faithful to HER. I got no time for stupid. Fool around with a player and be prepared to get played. 

Edited by Chickabiddy
  • Love 14
22 minutes ago, fifty8th said:

When are the reunion shows taped? They aren't live right? I've never really watched one.

They are usually taped after the crew/actors have been able to view most of them so they understand what was said behind their backs and where the editors took the story. No, they are not live. 

• Love 2

Well, the season has come to an end. Not my favorite BD, but better than Med any day. The primary was kind of douchey, but didn't end up being THAT terrible. I thought the champagne tower/fight was stupid, but whatever. 

I still love Kate. I always will. She may be acerbic and demanding, but she works hard and both Cap'n Lee and the guests always seem to love her. 

Bri is a good stu, but I don't care much for her as a person. She appears to try to come off as one of those effortless cool girls, but I think she's actually really pissed about Nico's decision. Don't feel bad for her. 

Jen will never learn because she has zero self awareness. She lives in a fantasy land where she's this amazing, hard worker and everyone is out to get her. I hope we never see her, or her fresh mouth, again. 

Nico is a douche. I think he's a decent deckhand, but as a boyfriend he sucks. I was perusing his IG last night and didn't see a bunch of pics with a girl, so I'm hoping once Melissa saw the episodes she shitcanned him for good. 

Bruno earns most improved. He'd be a good fit anywhere on the boat, really. He just needs to work on his ego. He often gets bossy and arrogant. 

Baker is the perfect deckhand - hardworking, amiable, stays out of drama. Her personality would likely grate, though; she seems like the type to always be "on" with her dorky lines. But she's harmless enough. 

Like Kate, I'll always love Kyle. He's a trainwreck, but he cracks me up. More Kyle, please. 

Matt is one of my favorites. He isn't a great fit for running a kitchen on a yacht, but I like how humble and self aware he is. He gets his mistakes and wants to fix them. And just seems like a genuinely nice guy. 

Cap'n Lee, never change. 

Until next time....

• Love 21

Nico is a DB.  I hope his GF dumped him.  Hopefully Bri saw the relationship as just for fun and not meant to last. I am sure watching the episodes back and seeing what he was up to made her feel more than OK with how things turned out.  LOL.  Once you find out someone was a user and a scumbag they suddenly become less attractive.

I loved how the editors put in all the funny random things they caught Tim Sykes saying on camera.  Those little tidbits here and there were hilarious!  Tim ponders: I wonder if all successful people were named Tim in their past lives?  

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Nico is a douche. I think he's a decent deckhand, but as a boyfriend he sucks. I was perusing his IG last night and didn't see a bunch of pics with a girl, so I'm hoping once Melissa saw the episodes she shitcanned him for good. 

She did. There's an article on People or RadarOnline or somewhere in which he talks about how being told about something is different from actually watching it happen. Of course, he completely ignores the fact that it's as much the fact that he lied to Melissa during the charter as it is the fact he dumped her so he could bang Brianna without technically cheating. Honestly, he'd probably have had a better chance with Melissa after the season was over if he'd simply cheated on her and then been honest about it when he got home.

• Love 4

I wonder if real charter guests with real money actually request to have these awful cheesy parties with the entire crew fawning all over them to entertain them. It always comes off as pathetic.   If I were on a charter like that I would want the crew in the background. Be there when I need you, disappear when I don't. Keep my room clean and the food on time and delicious. In return I will be a polite, easy guest and tip you well. But then again this all for TV so it's probably nothing like the real thing. 

• Love 13
16 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Ha, yeah, aside from personality and morals Nico is a good-looking enough guy, but he still has baby-fat cheeks.  I said to the screen, "All the other guys and most of the women have a more chiseled jaw than you do!"

(Not that cheeks like that aren't also attractive on someone with an attractive personality, but one thing they are not is chiseled.)

• Love 2

I think my favorite Nico moment this episode was his goodbye to Bruno.

(me paraphrasing) "Great job, Bruno. Of course, this season was all about ME and MY journey and you did a great job of supporting ME because ME, ME, ME.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I wonder if real charter guests with real money actually request to have these awful cheesy parties with the entire crew fawning all over them to entertain them. It always comes off as pathetic. 

Yes, I was looking at those ridiculous costumes (which look more or less what you buy for $19.99 at party city for halloween). Classy!

15 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

So Nico hit his funny bone and had to go to the hospital and then take to his bed for, what?  Three days?  While Bruno practically flayed the skin off his leg and kept working.

When Jen was dressing up in the mime outfit, she said, "So I'll go out there looking like an idiot," and I said, "Well, you know, there are truth-in-packaging laws."

In his parting speech, Tim Sykes said he was surprised that the charter was as good as it was, since based on his previous experience he thought he'd be disappointed.  Who goes on a second charter with the expectation of having a lousy time except someone so in love with his own doughy face on TV that he can't resist doing it again?

He (Tristen, Nico's brother) was hanging out with some friends, and maybe his other brother in Chicago.  I believe they were all drinking at an apartment and Tristen got so drunk he passed out.  So the friends left him in a bed to go to another bar.  At some point Tristen woke up and went out on the balcony to have a cigarette.  They found him on the ground, next to a dumpster.  They believe he tried to sit up on the railing and fell off.  He hit his head on the dumpster, and I believe that is what was what killed him.  I think I read that he was still breathing when they found him.

Tristen donated his organs, and I see that Nico has been in the press talking about that and encouraging others to do it.  I think that redeems him a tiny bit in my book.  

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah he didn't die instantly. There is a pic floating around with Nico in his hospital bed.

Nico in the hospital bed? Posing with his brother or did you mean Tristan in his hospital bed? 

• Love 1
Spoiler

It is not unusual for people whom are going to donate their organs, to be kept on life support until their organs are matched up with the people who need them. It's quite an orchestrated effort. 

Thank you for posting the photo. 

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Yes, I was looking at those ridiculous costumes (which look more or less what you buy for $19.99 at party city for halloween). Classy!

It the crew's defense I don't think the have a lot of costumes on board and I am sure there is slim pickings down there to buy them.

• Love 1

Meh.  More of the same.  Jenderella is still the hardest working most put upon stew that everyone is picking on and Nico is still a douche.  There's a lame party.  There are stupid costumes.  There's drama around meal service.  Jen is late one or more times due to oversleeping and/or being vain.  Everyone goes out drinking.  The end.

• Like 1
  • Love 1