Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: 99

• Start Topic

While the entire precinct attends a funeral in LA, Holt learns that he is in the running to become Chief Commissioner of the NYPD - his dream job. But after missing their flight back to New York, Jake must devise a variety of ways to get Holt back in time for the interview. Forced to stay with some estranged members of the Boyle family, Amy tries to convince everyone that she can be laid back, Terry panics about losing his first-class flight and Charles uncovers some new information about Rosa's personal life.

This gave me all the feels. So much happened. Everyone got a highlight moment. The relationship between Jake and Holt is special. I actually cried during the big reveal. And except for that part, I was laughing the whole episode. 

• Love 9

Last week never happened. This is the show I love, and boy did I love this one. Sheer bliss. The cherry on top was having Amy's intense travel scenario trigger Jake saying how much he loves her.

I also liked that we didn't have to shuttle between A, B, and C plots. Just the one. A great way to celebrate the series' 99th episode.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 21

I loved this episode a lot.

Rosa/Boyle's friendship is so important. If you asked me my Top 5 relationships on the show I probably wouldn't even list Rosa/Boyle, which speaks to how amazing so many of the relationships on the show are. However, everytime I think about the evolution of Boyle/Rosa's relationship I feel that their friendship is one of the best things the show has done. No one would have been able to predict that a relationship that started with him having an unrequited crush on her would evolve into her being glad that he was the first person in her life that she came out as bi to.

I'm so happy that Rosa being bi became canon. Stephanie Beatriz, who is bi herself, has wanted this for awhile and it is such great representation to have a bi actress play an amazing bi character.

The Holt/Jake and squad standing by Holt moments  got me emotional too. I also loved Amy's big take charge moment.

I adore this cast so much and I'm glad that they all got to shine this episode.

Edited by betweenthebanter
  • Love 13

That was everything. Just masterfully written--to cover so much ground in 21 1/2 minutes without coming across as rushed or frenetic in the least. Continuity reaching back to the original captain from the pilot to as recently as the prison storyline. Jake's Die Hard obsession, plus being allowed to show again that he's a great detective. Amy being high-strung and controlling--and being appreciated for it. Freaky Boyle family weirdness, plus his perfect, utterly sweet reaction to Rosa's revelation, and her completely in character response. Both a lot of clever lines (Jake unveiling his cargo plane plan with Charles's interjections was beautifully done) and bigger, more obvious laughs (the RV was clearly going to explode--and even knowing it was coming I might have laughed harder at that than anything else when it happened). And Jake calling Holt Dad!

It was everything you (or at least I) could possibly want from a milestone episode, one that somehow, amazingly captures everything great about the show in a single episode, without straining in the least. It's actually kind of beautiful.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 19

I feel a little bad asking these questions, but who paid to fly 8 people out for a funeral?  And even if it isn't insurance fraud for Scully to get reimbursed for taking an ambulance since there's always something wrong with him, I don't know of an ambulance that would take 7 other people, or that would drop him off in a place other than a hospital.  And Holt is lucky he didn't kill them all.

• Love 3

This episode was just about perfect.

I loved Jake's enthusiastic babbling: Holt smells great, that has nothing to do with the job, it's just something he's been meaning to tell Holt, is it sandalwood? Ending with how Holt will smell even better with that Lord High Commander of All Justice stank on him.

I loved how, after learning what cheese puffs are made with, Holt advises Jake to stop eating them. He really cares about Jake!

• Love 4

I just love how much the 99 love each other. 

I had read spoilers that Rosa would come out, but it was still such a nice, understated moment. The show has this moments of high comedy, but it also does the quiet moments so well--Terry and Holt talking about racism in Moo-Moo, Jake proposing to Amy, and now Rosa coming out to Boyle. 

• Love 9

Capt. Holt:  "I only have one dream a year.  Always on tax day.  In it, I must file an extension.  So, yes, it is best not to have dreams."

Great episode!  Loved it all the way through.  Definitely made up for last week.

• Love 10

The return of Sweet Dance Moves Amy! There are so many things I love about this show. I love that Amy's level of strungness isn't a character flaw, it's just a personality trait. I love the Holt/Peralta friendship/mentorship/dadship. I love that the team loves each other. This was everything I could have wanted out of a 99th episode.

• Love 13

Oooo continuity! They've done pretty well with some of these longer arcs, so I'll be interested to see how they handle it. I hope it involves some very competent Holting. He's been fun, but a lite too wacky recently. 

One of my favorite little things was when they got to the farm and the Cousins Boyle explained what kind of ranching they did, and to not worry about any screams, Amy grabbed for Jake. Not high strung Amy. Just appropriately mortified. And looking for her partner for a bit of support, without saying anything. 

• Love 3

OK...this might be an unpopular opinion, but...I know the actress recently came out as bi, but I'm disappointed they chose to make Rosa bi. I'm all for positive depictions of LBTQ characters, and one of the things I've loved about this show is that it upends gender/sexuality stereotypes. Big, straight Terry is sensitive and emotional while the gay captain is stoic. I loved that Rosa was tough and unsentimental and rode motorcycles. I liked that a straight woman was allowed to be this way. Usually, on TV and in the world, young girls who like sports and don't like ponies or Barbies or straight adult women who aren't maternal or sentimental and do "guy" things are whispered about or openly labelled as lesbians. I thought it was great that Rosa *wasn't* gay or bi. I do love having a positive portrayal of the character and a sensitive, supportive portrayal of her coming out, but I always thought it was great that Rosa *wasn't* gay or bi. 

• Love 6

My two complaints are that I miss so much of Andre Baugher's dialogue (his voice is very low or he mumbles?) and I didn't like the team using an ambulance.

Other than that I loved it.  Still a great show in Season 5.  Much credit to the writers and actors and directors.  They often pull off really fantastic and funny episodes.  I feel like it's such a rarity to have a great sitcom in 2017 this many seasons in, but this show certainly does it.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

My two complaints are that I miss so much of Andre Baugher's dialogue (his voice is very low or he mumbles?)

I have a lot of trouble with the whole Fox network, their sound mixing is very bad. The dialogue is always muffled, but the opening themes of shows are BLARING loud, and the commercials are even louder. That might be part of the problem :(

• Love 3

Oh my god! A bisexual woman on tv! Who isn’t hyper sexualized, who is a multifaceted, much loved main character, who isn’t absolutely butch OR absolutely femme, who didn’t kiss a woman and start calling herself a lesbian, who wasn’t confused, WHO ACTUALLY USED THE WORD BI AND IDENTIFIES AS SUCH!!! If Brooklyn 99 wasn’t already my favorite sitcom, this would make it my favorite sitcom. Bless the writers, bless Rosa Díaz, and bless St. Stephanie Beatriz, patron saint of badass queer women everywhere. 

• Love 16

For me, this one started slowly. The cold open was disappointing and the funeral was nothing special. We've seen Amy tries to prove she can be laid back plots before. This time, at least it was redeemed big time when she did that brilliant plan to get them back to NYC in time for Holt's interview.

The show picked up at Nakotomi Plaza. From then on, it was great. Funny, poignant, caring, and very funny.

There are Boyles in every state! And, they all dress in khakis. I'm always appreciative that this show has taken a character that would be so easy to throw away b/c he's the goofy inept guy who is just ridiculed by everybody, yet it turns out, he's a very good detective. He really is Jake's best friend instead of just thinking he is. Pairing him with each of the other characters works. And, his relationship with Rosa has really developed well. I was glad that she came out to him first. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

My two complaints are that I miss so much of Andre Braugher's dialogue (his voice is very low or he mumbles?) and I didn't like the team using an ambulance.

Other than that I loved it.  Still a great show in Season 5.  Much credit to the writers and actors and directors.  They often pull off really fantastic and funny episodes.  I feel like it's such a rarity to have a great sitcom in 2017 this many seasons in, but this show certainly does it.

I am not hearing-impaired, but I always use closed-captioning so that I don't miss anything. I highly recommend it. 

• Love 7

An outstanding, hilarious ep. I also teared up a couple of times.

Lord High Commander of All Justice.

Loved Terry's excitement, and disappointment, about first class. I remember once changing my son's and my reservations before coming home on a trip. I was looking forward to easy above-head storage (after having to put our bags a few rows away) and getting a "free" movie. We got our first class, but the movie wasn't working and the overhead storage didn't work out either for some reason. Anyway... Oh, when Terry mentioned he was looking forward to a hummus trio, I thought about one of the restaurants we frequent that used to have a hummus trio, but for some reason changed it to a duo, leaving out the best of the three hummus flavors. I get Terry.

Jake at Nakatomi Plaza was fantastic. "Take my picture with it!"

I always love seeing any of the Boyles. And the cattle screaming was so disturbing.

Jake: Is it a pleasure sound? A pain? Are they into both?
Holt: I hear they're into leather.
Jake: [little smile] Was that a joke?
Holt: Gallows humor. Being in this bovine brothel has proven a nightmare.

Loved the little scene where Jake questions who would call a cow trailer a bovine transport unit, and that it could only have been Holt. 

Jake: Who calls it that?
Holt: Everyone. That's what they're called.
Jake: Yeah. If you're a robot. And you're the only robot I know, sir. [robot voice and movements] Bovine-transport-unit. Meep morp. Zeep.

After proving Holt made the call, Jake says, "Terry, would you do the honors," followed by Terry screaming at Holt, "Why!?!"

Rosa: You called the pigs on us?
Holt: I don't know how this happened? Perhaps it was a bottom dial.

I enjoyed seeing and hearing how Holt had been sabotaging them all along. When Jake suggested Holt probably even got Scully to stink up the RV, the way Holt said, "It wasn't difficult," was soooo snarky and perfect. What a line reading. And then, of course the flashback -- "Three corndogs for 99 cents. Who could possibly eat three corndogs AND has a dollar?" says Holt as Scully sits next to him smiling at his dollar.

Jake: I love you, dahhhptin. Daptin. Cooler way of saying captain. It's from the world of hiphop. Love you.

Jake getting Terry a mimosa was very sweet.

9-9!!!!!!!!

• Love 16
4 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Oh my god! A bisexual woman on tv! Who isn’t hyper sexualized, who is a multifaceted, much loved main character, who isn’t absolutely butch OR absolutely femme, who didn’t kiss a woman and start calling herself a lesbian, who wasn’t confused, WHO ACTUALLY USED THE WORD BI AND IDENTIFIES AS SUCH!!! If Brooklyn 99 wasn’t already my favorite sitcom, this would make it my favorite sitcom. Bless the writers, bless Rosa Díaz, and bless St. Stephanie Beatriz, patron saint of badass queer women everywhere. 

Check out Legends of Tomorrow.

• Love 8

Is it too early to pre-order the S5 DVDs? This season has been not only my favorite season of B99 so far, but one of my favorite seasons of any sitcom I've ever seen. So mercifully devoid of Gina and so amazingly chock full of everything that makes this show so special.

Like all of you, I absolutely loved every minute of last night's episode. I may or may not have already rewatched it three times. #nolife

Literally every character got so many priceless moments, and it was such a perfect combination of poignancy and humor. To be honest, I just love hanging out with these characters so much that I'm not too picky about the specific plots, but I do really love when they give us little twists at the end, and I adored seeing all the ways that it turned out Holt had sabotaged his own chances of getting home. I'd started to suspect when he spoke with Jake that he was deliberately keeping them away, but it was so much fun to see it unveiled.

I keep changing my mind about my favorite of the show's relationships because almost every single one of them is priceless, but Jake declaring his love for his dad/captain (ie "Daptain") solidified that it's one of my favorite onscreen relationships ever. As are Boyle/Jake, Amy/Jake, Rosa/Boyle, Amy/Holt, Rosa/Jake...I could keep going :)

On most shows, I'm lucky if I truly like and enjoy watching even half the characters. (It's usually more like a third...or less :)) I was thinking as I watched last night's episode that I not only like but absolutely LOVE every non-Gina B99 character. Yes, I'm including Hitchcock and Scully :) (LOVE Hitchcock's line about "too many cooks in the kitchen" when each person was poignantly declaring their allegiance to the captain).

Almost nothing in my entire life cheers me up nearly as much as this show, and this may have been my very favorite episode ever. (I realize I've said that about 10 or so episodes, but I mean it!)   

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I enjoyed seeing and hearing how Holt had been sabotaging them all along. When Jake suggested Holt probably even got Scully to stink up the RV, the way Holt said, "It wasn't difficult," was soooo snarky and perfect. What a line reading. And then, of course the flashback -- "Three corndogs for 99 cents. Who could possibly eat three corndogs AND has a dollar?" says Holt as Scully sits next to him smiling at his dollar.

I can't believe I didn't know until Brooklyn 99 that Andre Braugher is so effin funny. His delivery of the simplest lines is perfection. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm guessing Holt won't become commissioner because that would take him out of the 99. But the whole road trip was epic and a perfect way to bring the whole cast together in one story. 

Honestly it sounds like the writers saw the writing on the wall and are closing up loose ends and doing flashbacks to early on. The wedding and now becoming commissioner feels like final season arcs.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

LOL.  Thanks for writing out these quotes.

This one is really funny and reminds me of a great scene in "The Big Lebowski", when their car disappears into thin air with a huge amount of money in it:

Walter Sobchak: Where's your car, Dude?
The Dude: You don't know, Walter?
Walter Sobchak: [clears throat] It was parked in a handicapped zone, perhaps they towed it.
The Dude: You fucking know it's been stolen.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

For anyone that isn't aware, because Fox is horrible at promoting this show, B99's mid-season finale will be next week and it will be one hour (two episodes). The 1st episode will air right after Lethal Weapon, where the Mick usually airs, and the 2nd episode will air right after that at B99's usual time. 

• Love 6

And we're back!  Great episode.

Three things stood out for me:

1) The pants Terry borrowed from the Boyle cousins were soooo effin' short on him.  Perfection.

2) The entire Nakatomi plaza picture taking frenzy.  I can remember all those scenes exactly just from Jake's re-enactments.

3) Amy allowed to shine without anybody dumping on her.  The amazed applause after she mapped out their return trip was great.  This is why I don't miss Gina one bit.  Gina is always ragging on Amy and I can't help but think that Gina would have spoiled that moment.

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

.3) Amy allowed to shine without anybody dumping on her.  The amazed applause after she mapped out their return trip was great.  This is why I don't miss Gina one bit.  Gina is always ragging on Amy and I can't help but think that Gina would have spoiled that moment.

Yeah, I thought about this after the episode aired too.  I  also feel this way about the party Terry threw for Charles at the end of The Venue episode. It was a really sweet way to combine the Charles and Terry storylines, and I couldn't help but think if Gina had been involved in that storyline she would have at least gotten one negative comment in at Charles' expense. 

• Love 10

Oh my God, this one killed me dead. I laughed! I cried! My heart was warmed! I cringed at those beige outfits! Just a super great episode all around. 

I want to watch Amy's plan over and over again, and Jake's super excited reaction to it. And the scene where Jake tells Holt that he made him a better person. And start a band called "Bovine Brothel". 

• Love 4

I think I loved Rosa the best in this one. She somehow managed to rock those Boyle clothes and I loved her clapping and genuinely appreciative face about Amy's plan to get them back. Can't wait to meet her girlfriend. And of course this:

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The pigs. Lol.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 3

I just got to watch this last night, as my partner was out of town and one of us watching 99 without the other would be HIGHLY FROWNED UPON. What a treat this episode was - we were both smiling and laughing throughout. I just can't get over how gifted these writers and actors are, to make these characters hilarious and real (and not typical sitcom caricatures). Special shout out to Stephanie Beatriz and Melissa Fumero for portraying females that kick ass and take names in totally different ways.

I really hope Terry got his miles back.  

• Love 8
On December 6, 2017 at 8:02 PM, DearEvette said:

The entire Nakatomi plaza picture taking frenzy.  I can remember all those scenes exactly just from Jake's re-enactments.

In retrospect, I'm a bit surprised that Jake managed to keep his shoes on for all those re-enactments. Or maybe he was less interested in "being" John McClane than in recording his presence at the same locations.

Also in retrospect, I see that I should have suspected that something was amiss when Capt. Holt said they could stay longer, there was plenty of time. When is he ever so laissez-faire about being prompt for travel arrangements?

• Love 6

Finally got around to this and it was worth the wait!  Not only likely my favorite episode this season, but it will likely go into my top ten overall, when it is all said and done.  Pretty much everything worked for me, all the characters got to shine, and I was laughing every other minute.  It was Brooklyn Nine-Nine at it's best!

I figured early on that Holt was trying to avoid getting back in time, but I totally forgot about the whole Seamus thing and thought it was going to because he didn't want to leave the Nine-Nine or had some kind of insecurity.  Totally makes sense why he wants to avoid being compromised on that level, but I'm glad that it all out in the open now, and the team is backing him up.  I really love the little family they are right now (even Scully and Hitchcock!), but I really love how loyal Jake still is. I've always liked him since he first appeared on SNL, but I never would have predicted that Andy Samberg was capable of playing such a likable, heartfelt character like Jake, who I can easily believe that, despite his goofball attitude, is a great cop, friend, and boyfriend.

Amy trying to be all "cool and casual" was hilarious, and then flipping the switch back to high strung Amy was perfection.  I loved how even people like Holt and Rosa looked so freaked out over it.  Melissa Fumero continues to be one of my favorites.

Again, one of the best things this show ever did was drop Boyle's creepy crush on Rosa, because those two are gold together now.  Liked their stuff, and the reveal that Rosa is bisexual.  I thought it was handled well, and I believe it since she's mainly been such an enigma about her personal life.  I do hope we get to meet her new girlfriend.

Poor Terry missed out on his first-class trip.  Hope he gets another chance!

Everything with the Boyles and the "bovine brothel" was perfection.

Loved that they finally used "No Sleep Till Brooklyn."

Excellent episode all around.  Only downsides where that I do get the sense they are preparing for the worst and it being the final season (Jake finally getting to visit Nakatomi Plaza), and I'm now kind of dreading whenever Gina returns, because this episode in particular highlights why I don't miss her.  I can only imagine the moments that would have been undercut by her snark and mean-spiritness (in particular, all the Amy stuff would have been written differently, I suspect.)

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

I loved the episode but one of the things I've always been confused by with the Seamus thing is, how is he compromised?  Technically all he did was take a tip -- although the information was given with an understanding the Holt would reciprocate at a later date, it's not like Holt actually did anything illegal that Seamus is holding over him, right?  Taking a tip isn't a crime.

22 minutes ago, dusang said:

I loved the episode but one of the things I've always been confused by with the Seamus thing is, how is he compromised?  Technically all he did was take a tip -- although the information was given with an understanding the Holt would reciprocate at a later date, it's not like Holt actually did anything illegal that Seamus is holding over him, right?  Taking a tip isn't a crime.

I think it means Holt is compromised because he owes Seamus a favor, and if he becomes the commissioner, Holt will have more power and influence and any favor would be that much more potentially damaging.

Because that was the deal, and I suppose they are hoping to placate him with something that doesn't have any significant consequences.  I may not be remembering correctly, but I think Seamus is involved in organized crime and can potentially cause some serious problems for Holt if he breaks their agreement.   That's what I took from the whole thing anyway... but I haven't been watching all that carefully this season.

Usually when someone is "compromised" it's because they've actually done something wrong, which can now be used as blackmail to force them to do more wrong things for fear of exposure. Holt didn't do anything wrong, Seamus cannot blackmail him. There is nothing other than Holt's word forcing him to do anything for Seamus. Holt can say no.

Are we to believe that if Holt were in the position to choose between doing something illegal (and ACTUALLY compromising) or breaking his word to a mob boss he would choose the former?

On 12/6/2017 at 4:16 PM, peeayebee said:

After proving Holt made the call, Jake says, "Terry, would you do the honors," followed by Terry screaming at Holt, "Why!?!"

I want to re-highlight this moment you pointed out @peeayebee. Jake looks at the toughest, strongest, biggest guy in the group, and asks him to "do the honors." Any other show would have Terry smack Holt or physically intimidate him. But B-99? They have the toughest guy have "the honors" and his response to Holt is just to reasonably question him. I caught myself laughing at that joke about 2 minutes after it passed, and then having to pause because it just kept cracking me up.

Reminds me of Flu Season from Parks and Rec when Leslie is being quarantined in her office because she is trying to work with the flu. Tom asks Donna to "barricade the door" when Leslie tries to escape. Donna then stands up all tough and just touches her hand to the door gently. It was enough for Leslie not to try to escape through Donna's blockade. Such. Good. Writing.

• Love 7
On 11/28/2017 at 9:22 PM, betweenthebanter said:

This episode was definitely lacking for me. I wouldn't say it was the worst episode, but B99 usually does a lot better.

For the most part I just didn't like how Rosa, Holt, and Amy were used this episode. They are my 3 favorites, so that really brought down my feelings about the episode.. It didn't feel like Rosa was necessary at all in the Terry/Jake plot and I don't think we saw much of Amy and Holt's personalities in their plot with Charles and the forensics's guy. It did feel that Amy/Holt reacted the way that they did to service the storyline, rather than the characters normal personalities shining through. I just think they could have done a lot more with that storyline.

That being said, I'm really excited for the 99th episode next week! This was a poor filler episode, but I'm really hopefully that they will give us an amazing milestone episode next week.

On 11/29/2017 at 10:59 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Not enough Rosa, but I did like that her normal outfit is the exact same outfit as some steampunk character, so she automatically fitted in the convention without even knowing it.

Except for the welding goggles, which, OF COURSE, she had on her motorcycle!

On 12/6/2017 at 2:16 PM, peeayebee said:

Jake getting Terry a mimosa was very sweet.

With "First-Class Champagne": "That's the name of it -- it's from Arkansas"!

On 12/8/2017 at 11:41 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Loved that they finally used "No Sleep for Brooklyn."

Excellent spot for it.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, hendersonrocks said:

I just got to watch this last night, as my partner was out of town and one of us watching 99 without the other would be HIGHLY FROWNED UPON.

I often watch the episode on my own first but don't tell my husband that when we watch it together a few days later.  ;-)

• Love 2