Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E01: It'll Take More Than Pot Luck

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

I'm happy this show is back too. All the chefs seem very experienced and talented. I like the chef who cooks Amish soul food, I can't wait to see what else he does. 

I also like mustache Joe: 'my meat was too big for Padma's mouth'. Hehe! 

• Love 13

The one Chef saying how she doesn't like to have roommates. Well, I am sure no one loves it, but she knew what she was signing up for.

The judge with the funky white glasses. I find the glasses totally distracting and ugly.

I liked the guy who won. Three women in the bottom. Not too good.

not fond of Padma's little sexual innuendos.

• Love 14

This show is just so much better than the rest and I am so glad it’s back.

It seems like there is a lot of talent and personality in this bunch. No real idea what anyone’s name is yet, but I wanted to try a bunch of the potluck and meat & potatoes dishes. 

The guy who won the Quickfire is too nice for his own good, and the woman who got the boot seemed like the clear and obvious choice. Now off to figure out WTF is happening with Last Chance Kitchen - I am SKEPTICAL of the shenanigans.

ETA: In seasons past there has been a LCK thread so no discussion of details or outcomes in the episode threads. I think/hope that will be the same this time around.

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 14

This is my favorite show and it is back!!! 

Last chance kitchen is good.  We don't have a thread for it yet so I will contain my glee.

Spoiler

I like seeing those familiar faces because I like them all, especially Marcel and Leann. I have thought about her everytime there was an all star factor and wondered why she wasn't there. 

The guy who won will go far, same with the 2 Joes.  I wanted a Samosa too.  She is another I expect to see last. Bruce is a shoo in too, although the best can always choke.  

I was surprised to see that simple corn dish win the quickfire.  I wonder if there might have been some strategy in the voting with everyone thinking the same thing.  Vote for the simplest dish and not one that you see as competition for your own.

• Love 7

Great episode, and a very talented and personable group of chefs.  Lots of personality, and amazingly, not so many egos (none???).  For the contestants, it's a deadly serious competition, but it's just fantastic that they all seem to have super respect for each other, rather than the snotty attitudes and arrogance that we usually see from a couple of contestants in each new season.   This season seems to be the best group ever straight out of the gate.

Loved that Tuo?? (sounded like "Two") helped out the other chef once he was done prepping....I admire that spirit of cooperation.  The two "Joes" are great.  Mustache Joe is a hoot!  The winner (sorry, don't have a line on everyone's name yet....the big, tall bald guy) of the episode was hilarious when he said "follicularly challenged" to Tom.  I also liked that guy's attitude, "I'm cooking NEW stuff" for TC. 

The young lady from Pakistan won my heart when she made the decision to cook from her heritage, just "going for it", and got the big thumbs up from Padme.  She's a winner just for that in my mind....she won accolades from Padma on her first big challenge......I hope she goes on a run to the end.

This is a very diversified and interesting group of chefs.  My only unkind comment is that per usual, they seem to have included a couple of female sub-par chefs, set up for the slaughter from the get-go.  I felt so sorry for the poor red-headed young lady, she was clearly out of her element. 

Looks like they're starting Last Chance Kitchen

Spoiler

with the perennial TC losers, Marcel Vigiarone, Jenn (snotty) Carroll, Lee Ann Wong, and the probably-should-have-one-his-season Kwame.  I understand that Kwame was NOT successful in his foray into high-end restaurant tasting menu-super snooty menu.  IIRC, Kwame's restaurant folded almost immediately.  But I LOVE the way he cooks!  I don't mind having old TC vets on the show, particularly not if they have to go all the way through LC Kitchen to get "into" the regular competition.  Poor little red-headed girl, though, running into that buzz-saw.  Any of the four "oldies" will have to beat out every single one of the eliminated chefs (I think) to get into the thick of things....long shots at best.  So, I like the LCK change-up this season. 

Gayle Simmons is STILL the BEST.  I'd rather have Hugh Acheson, or Emeril, or any of the prior regular "4th judges" than Graham.  But I suppose he'll do. 

All in all, thrilled to have a new season, and it looks like it will be a great one.  Lots of super chefs, it will be fascinating to see who floats to the top.  Denver looks fantstic, can't wait until next week, when the Mis en Place classic QF is up.  A Top Chef Classic. 

Bon Appetit!

• Love 17
21 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Do we talk about Last Chance Kitchen here?

No, it's a separate thread, and discussion of it is verboten in episode threads, but instead of being a general LCK thread that stays from season to season, there are separate threads for each season.  One for season fifteen hasn't been created yet; I'll go make one.

I forgot this was starting tonight, so I'm going to catch the repeat in half an hour, but I wanted to check in and see what the general impression of this season was (it's so hard to tell from the first episode with eleventy cheftestants, though) -- I'm so excited to have this back.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I never want to hear mustache Joe talk about his "meat" again.

Otherwise, I really like this new crew of chefs. I think Tom has a favorite in the Amish-Soul Food chef. 

I love that this crew seems really talented AND they check all the important reality tv boxes.

• Love 16

The lady who got eliminated had almost colorless roasted veg for her seafood stock that had no fish or shrimp shells on the roasting pan.  That was just weird.  When she said she was an underdog who never competed on a show before they should have just made her wear a red shirt.

Tu and Fatima’s food looked great.

tyler, the abrasive condescending “ain’t gonna make nothin I’ve made before on top chef.”   Is good TV.

Another chef from the spaggio tree.

Where did we see Brother Luck before?

Mormon Denver lady seems delightfully naive.  She made bruschetta...and then lemon cheese, fried potato chip and short ribs.  Hmmmm not exactly pushing the envelope there.

Alaska lady would work my last nerve in the house.

i like that the cheftestants voted each other up and down.

• Love 11

There is no Whole Foods in Alaska?  How do these people live???!!  LOL

Were there 2 beef tartares?  Seems like an odd choice.  Truth be told I don’t find their meat fresh enough to eat raw.  Lamb or beef to be honest.

i wanted to try Tyler’s winning potatoes that he hand popped.  They sounded awesome.

• Love 2

Oh look, a bunch of guys on the top for the first QF, and two women in the bottom.  All women in the bottom of EC (and only one in the top).

Graham Elliot and his stupid white glasses can go away any season now.  And, ugh, Hosea.

I hate roommates, too, and left that behind long ago, so I understand that part of the show being an issue, even though it’s certainly not a revelation; it’s something to adjust to just like the rest.  “The bear den” with a bunch of sleep apnea guys amused me.

“He looks like one of those guys who used to tie ladies to the train tracks.”  I loved that, because it was making fun of the mustache, but not at all in a mean way.

Fatima looks so familiar; I think she was on Chopped?  And I think people hated her?  I don’t remember her beyond “Hey, I’ve seen her,” so I obviously didn’t get as strong an impression.  In fact, I may have liked her; I'd have to go check the threads.

Okay, moving onto the food:

I’ve eaten at Union (Los Angeles) – the restaurant of the guy everyone knew, and who thus got helped out by Tu when he was in the weeds - and it’s quite good, but fairly indistinguishable from similar quite good restaurants (contrary to Anthony Bourdain’s belief, we do have some), so I’m curious to see how he performs – just based on my meal (I never went back, as there’s no full bar), I wouldn’t classify him a Top Chef contender (cheftestant, absolutely, but I wouldn’t have picked him to go far, so I’m curious to see how he does given his reputation among the judges and competitors).

I’ve also been to Bar Crudo (San Francisco, the redhead eliminated in EC), Brown Sugar (Oakland, the nearly bald woman) and El Jardin (San Diego, the woman with funky glasses) recently enough to assume the cheftestants were still there at the time; I haven’t verified.  My brunch at Brown Sugar was notably delicious, and dinners at the other two were pretty good – on the whole, same as Union chef; not “OMG, this is cooking at its finest” level reaction, but not surprising they'd make the cut to be on the show.

I hate potatoes, so I wouldn’t eat the EC meals (other than where the components were separate), but I like the simple “elevate meat and potatoes” challenge to lead off the season.  The stews looked like ass to me, but I hate stew and can’t be objective.  If I imagined them without potato, the samosa and the (cooked) lamb looked really good, especially the samosa; I wanted Fatima to win. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

Too many people to have a favorite yet, I just hope there aren't any "chop the food out of an ice block" or "run around to different places in the heat to get your ingredients" type of stupid challenges.

• Love 18

Here's my professional culinary analysis:

Padma and Gail could wear paper bags and look fabulous.

Oh yeah - there was food too.

Significant representation from the SF Bay Area, although based on Bar Crudo chef's performance I wouldn't bother to go there.  I agreed she should have been the first to go.

Tu (Vietnamese cuisine) seems like a great chef and a nice person.  I hope he goes far.

It's really too early to size up the remaining chefs overall, but there doesn't seem to be a real stinker in this bunch.

Fatima reminds me of Amal Clooney.

Denver's looking really good in the cutaways.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Padma and Gail could wear paper bags and look fabulous.

True enough, but that opening sequence flirty blue and white dress Padma wore was extra special. Wish I could wear something like that and look 10% as good in it!

1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Fatima reminds me of Amal Clooney.

So true!

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

There is no Whole Foods in Alaska?  How do these people live???!!  LOL

The first time I saw a Whole Foods in Denver I was so overwhelmed, So many colorful veggies, too much for me to take in . So clean and pretty, Everything looked so good. No there are not Whole Foods store in Alaska and for the longest time no Target, no Dairy Queen (well one in Soldotna but driving 2 hours was a bit much), no Sonic and no Olive Garden. Never need any of those really though Target is nice to have. The problem is that we get all the commercials and everything looks so much better in commercials.

I guess I can cheer on the Alaskan and I love 229 Parks. I have also dined at Tyler's restaurant and it was a great meal. My sister lives close to Simsbury CT

• Love 8

So far I like Tyler, Tu, the other Joe, Fatima and the bald woman. I’m glad Tu had immunity because I would have hated to see him punished for being a nice guy.  I think Melissa was the right choice to go. It’s hard to screw up mashed potatoes but she managed.  I already loathe mustache Joe. First of all, anyone who takes the time to cultivate ridiculous facial hair is probably a creep in my opinion, and second, “Padma can’t fit my meat in her mouth”???? Stfu, dude.  Also, the Alaskan bugs.  So happy my favorite show is back!

• Love 13

I live in the northern suburbs of NYC and my nearest WF as well as Trader Joe is a good 40 minutes away. I hit TJ every month or so when I visit the nearby large Korean market, but WF is in a medium sized city with crazy parking so I've never been. People in other parts of the country are amazed that I can live in "wealthy" Westchester County and not have these necessities of life :)

On topic, this looks like a great season. No off-the-wall jerks, just competent, decent people as far as I can tell. The judges at the QF were very polite as well, with just constructive criticism.

• Love 1

I think the show needs to be careful re some of the comments made that have sexual double meanings.  Like mustache guys meat comments and Padma's  'I don't like anything warm and slimy in my mouth'   (which may not be an exact quote.)  Given today's climate  re harassment etc.  I just think they should be more cautious.   Even the never ending promo for the show where Padma comments that she hopes no one is allergic to nuts, may be inappropriate at this point.  Surely the editors can get rid of those remarks easily enough.  Personally, I am don't care one way or the other, but every day there is someone in the paper who  has been offended by some off-hand sexual remark and that kind of humor is just not necessary on a cooking show.   OMV  

Edited by milner
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, milner said:

I think the show needs to be careful re some of the comments made that have sexual double meanings.  Like mustache guys meat comments and Padma's  'I don't like anything warm and slimy in my mouth'   (which may not be an exact quote.)  Given today's climate  re harassment etc.  I just think they should be more cautious.   Even the never ending promo for the show where Padma comments that she hopes no one is allergic to nuts, may be inappropriate at this point.  Surely the editors can get rid of those remarks easily enough.  Personally, I am don't care one way or the other, but every day there is someone in the paper who  has been offended by some off-hand sexual remark and that kind of humor is just not necessary on a cooking show.   OMV  

But then Padma would have no use on the show.  Episode one and there were already 2 obvious remarks about dicks in her mouth, the one was repeated 3 times as previews as well.  She seems to relish “going there” as though she is clever.  I thought Tom looked appropriately embarrassed and moved her along....if he said something that crude the internet would have gone nuts.

• Love 15

I was expecting there to be at least one chef who had no idea how to adjust recipes for altitude, as well as at least one who had trouble breathing (well, I guess that would be Bruce, based on how exhausted he was after Day 1).  I also find myself wondering if the show could possibly pull off an...urm..."edibles"-based challenge.  Rocky Mountain high!  Padma for one seemed quite happy to be there...

• Love 5
3 hours ago, avecsans said:

So far I like Tyler, Tu, the other Joe, Fatima and the bald woman. I’m glad Tu had immunity because I would have hated to see him punished for being a nice guy. 

I'm calling them "mo Joe" and " No mo Joe".

• Love 11
11 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Alaska lady would work my last nerve in the house.

i

I agree, but am trying to figure out why she's so annoying. I think it's her flat delivery and that it takes her too long to say ..... more or less nothing. She seems kind of sleepy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

I was expecting there to be at least one chef who had no idea how to adjust recipes for altitude, as well as at least one who had trouble breathing (well, I guess that would be Bruce, based on how exhausted he was after Day 1).  I also find myself wondering if the show could possibly pull off an...urm..."edibles"-based challenge.  Rocky Mountain high!  Padma for one seemed quite happy to be there...

I had forgotten about altitude.  My son lives at 7,000 + feet in NM and the altitude bothers me a lot.  Maybe they arrived a week early to acclimate.  

My DIL has a great cookbook.  Pie in the Sky.   The author  adjusts each recipe for a number of different altitudes from sea level on up.  I have one and have always lived at sea level.  It has the best recipes for baking I have seen. Their bisuits are fabulous, everything is. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I had forgotten about altitude.  My son lives at 7,000 + feet in NM and the altitude bothers me a lot.  Maybe they arrived a week early to acclimate.  

My DIL has a great cookbook.  Pie in the Sky.   The author  adjusts each recipe for a number of different altitudes from sea level on up.  I have one and have always lived at sea level.  It has the best recipes for baking I have seen. Their bisuits are fabulous, everything is. 

Thanks, I live at 5' above mean high tide in Fla (it doesn't get more sea level than that, LOL).....so truly appreciate your recommendation for the next time we travel. 

It seems as though the only chef bothered by the altitude was the heavy-set fellow from Cali. 

Denver & the surrounding environs looked absolutely gorgeous on the show, although that was ONE MEAN "rainstorm". 

• Love 2

I'm happy that this show continues to attract highly qualified contestants.  A refreshing contrast to Runway, and I can't help wondering if it's due to staying on Bravo.  Anyway, I'm so glad it's back - there is less and less I care to watch every year on TV, so it's wonderful to have TC back!

• Love 20
13 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I also like mustache Joe: 'my meat was too big for Padma's mouth'. Hehe! 

And Padma was in on  the double entendre! Reminded me of the hamburger ad she did back in the early seasons.

I really liked the use of the contestants to pick the first Quick fire winners. Snidely Whiplash Joe for the win!

• Love 5

This looks like a very good season.  I love it!!

Padma looked gorgeous in that white dress at the QF.  She has said that she always gains about 15 lbs. during a season, so nice to see her pre-weight gain.  And I can certainly see why she gains weight--having to try 30 dishes just in the first episode!!

Was Chef Tyler from Connecticut also the chef who talked about the "Four dwarves" of pork--salty, smoky etc. etc.?  That line made me laugh and he is my favorite so far.

• Love 4

I'm not sure how I feel about the guy who knows all three judges. It would bother me enough if one person had a pre-existing relationship with one of the judges but all three? Really? I know they said they wouldn't be biased but how about just not casting the guy at all?

Sorry, I don't know all the names yet but the woman who made the samosas is my early fave. Those looked so good! And it was cute how happy she was about Padma liking her food. I'm gonna need one of the Joes to get eliminated soon though, I don't want to have to refer to Joe and Moustache Joe all season. Amish Soul Food sounds like it could be interesting, I hope he sticks around for a while.

• Love 7

Fatima looks so familiar; I think she was on Chopped?  And I think people hated her? 

I hated her although it really wasn't her fault.  I don't even recall now who her competition was but she won and it made me so mad at the time that I nearly threw something because I thought her win was manipulated by the judges and wrong.  She came back for one of the tournaments and got eliminated early on.  Like I said, not really her fault.  She actually seems quite nice.

I liked Bruce Kalman when he was on Chopped.  Then he was on that ill-fated Best New Restaurant and he seemed quite different.  I didn't like the way he behaved in the kitchen during service at all.  I'll be interested to see how he acts during Top Chef.  So far, so good.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I'm so happy this show is back. :-)

I didn't know it was back. I was browsing the TV listings and caught the rerun this morning at 5am. I'm glad it was the first episode. I didn't miss any. 

15 hours ago, wings707 said:

I agree on Graham.  There is nothing there to like or hate.  He just there filling the space.  My boyfriend, Hugh would be my first choice to fill that slot. 

I like Graham on other shows I've seen in the past. So far he's not much of a presence here. 

15 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

I never want to hear mustache Joe talk about his "meat" again.

Yes, I think this season set a record by having the obligatory fellatio reference in the very first episode. Actually, multiple references, and the one by the chef was particularly crude and juvenile. I wasn't sure if he said it once and different edits were used or if he said it twice, in which case I hope he goes soon.  (And of course Padma couldn't resist joining in, as this is always a favorite topic of hers.). Okay, can we now be adults for the rest of the season?

I actually thought that Carrie should've been sent home, for one reason that surprisingly to me never got mentioned. They were supposed to be cooking meat and potato entries, and it looked like she made an amuse bouche. There was maybe one bite of short rib on her plate. If I'm ever in Denver I'll make sure not to go to her restaurant. In the hip northwestern city where I live we have enough restaurants where you pay $30 and up for a plate of food that looks beautiful but a few years ago would have barely qualified as an appetizer.

No, I don't go to all-you-can eat buffets, and I appreciate good food. But I'm never happy when I pay $100 for dinner for two (not including drinks) and I'm raiding the fridge as soon as I get home.

I'm thinking maybe she was safe because she's their one Denver chef and they didn't want to start with the local getting kicked off.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Thanks, I live at 5' above mean high tide in Fla (it doesn't get more sea level than that, LOL).....so truly appreciate your recommendation for the next time we travel. 

It seems as though the only chef bothered by the altitude was the heavy-set fellow from Cali. 

Denver & the surrounding environs looked absolutely gorgeous on the show, although that was ONE MEAN "rainstorm". 

When I lived in FL we were 1/2 block from the ocean but not in a flood zone because we were 7.5 ft above sea level.  We bought flood insurance anyway, of course and never had water damage through Jeanne, Frances and Wilma. The neighborhood took a bad hit; many houses were flooded. 

If you bake occasionally get that book now.  It is really good.  All recipes are written for sea level and include adjustments.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the guy who knows all three judges. It would bother me enough if one person had a pre-existing relationship with one of the judges but all three? Really? I know they said they wouldn't be biased but how about just not casting the guy at all?

I think he may have a disadvantage.  In order for them not to show favoritism they very well could be tougher on him.  

• Love 1

I did not mind mustache Joe's double entendre because he blushed so thoroughly when he said it. As far as villains, I suspect Tyler could get a bit old and the I thought the THs the Mexican woman from San Diego did were definitely trending mean girl.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I did not mind mustache Joe's double entendre because he blushed so thoroughly when he said it

I think that with what's going on in the news about sexual harassment (Weinstein, Moore, et al) it just stood out to me in a way it wouldn't have before. 

Graham Elliot adds nothing to this show.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3

I haven't read anybody's posts yet - just watching the episode now. There is one contestant who looks like Kenya from Project Runway. Her name is Tanya. Up close she doesn't look that much like Kenya. Tyler is funny. Oh no another curly tipped Snidely Whiplash mustache, like Josh?? from a few seasons back. Wow, one contestant - Melissa - from San Francisco looks like Christmas from Big Brother. Bruce looks familiar even to me! I'm sure I've seen him on some cooking/chef show. And mustache Joe - why is it so amazing someone way older than you can still crush it (Tanya)?

Interesting to see that Padma scores by hashtag next to people's names. At Whole Foods - why in the world is Alaska going to bake bread for a challenge involving 200 people? Sounds like a way to be first one out. That glop on the waffle iron didn't look too appetizing.

Now why is Tu being sous chef to Bruce? It's nice of him, but still. . . You have to do your own work!  Oh, Tu is too nice! He gave up his pot to mustache Joe. He needs to look out for himself first.

I've seen Fatima before. I wonder if she's been on Chopped. So all those people at the gate are Equity folks who came to a casting call?? (Cooks Delight knows!)

Wow that's Hosea from Season 5, isn't it? He's sure filled out! 

Yay Tyler!!! Good-bye, Melissa!

Colorado sure is pretty.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Unfortunately it's a small world at this level of cooking. Casting for complete unknowns might not leave that big a pool of people to draw from. Everyone seemed to know at least one other person there. As they go through the guest judges, there's always someone who worked for Besh or Blais or someone or a friend of someone who did at some point. If they really avoided casting anyone who had a pre-existing relationship with any judge, we'd wind up with the cast of Hell's Kitchen.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I did not mind mustache Joe's double entendre because he blushed so thoroughly when he said it. As far as villains, I suspect Tyler could get a bit old and the I thought the THs the Mexican woman from San Diego did were definitely trending mean girl.

I thought Mustache Joe's comment was awful, especially since it was after-the-fact in a TH.  Did not notice the blushing.  And Padma should knock it off, too.

• Love 19

Agree.  It is cringe-inducing.  This is a show about cooking.  Padma is 45 or so and should stop acting like a sex bomb.  Her behavior enables the guys in the show, like Mustache Joe, to make gross comments as well.  I don't want to hear allusions to dicks.  At all.

• Love 20
37 minutes ago, susannot said:

Agree.  It is cringe-inducing.  This is a show about cooking.  Padma is 45 or so and should stop acting like a sex bomb.  Her behavior enables the guys in the show, like Mustache Joe, to make gross comments as well.  I don't want to hear allusions to dicks.  At all.

Cheftestants doing some outdoor challenge and in the scrum for ingredients a few female chefs take a tumble in the nearby hedge.   Cut to Tom Colicchio "It's been a long time since I've been face to face with full bush too!"   "I personally enjoy a face full of bush in the morning!" 

Cheftestant cuts chicken breast too large on the amuse bouche challenge.  Cut to Tom trying to one bite it "I normally like a big breast but I guess breasts really can be too big!"  "Man this big breast is really tasty.  Nothing better than tasty breast."

Chef's talking head "Tom couldn't fit my balls in his......(collapses laughing because he's so funny).....he couldn't fit my balls in his mouth!!!!"  "Tom liked my balls so much.  My nuts were....finger licking good."

Can you imagine the outcry to Bravo?  Or maybe not...maybe everything goes on Bravo, cooking shows or otherwise.

• Love 3