Type keyword(s) to search

TBBT vs Young Sheldon: Nitpicks, Anomalies, and Historical Facts In An Evolving Universe, presented by Sheldon L. Cooper

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I will admit that I am worried about YS down the road.  So far, they have handled things extremely well but darker days ARE coming and I just don't see how a show like this will be able to treat them in a way that is realistic, respectful, and still true to the nature of the show.

They may be able to work with the fact that Sheldon can be pretty oblivious about some things, even when he's not just focusing on himself. They reminded us of that with the monkey picture that Missy read a lot from, and Sheldon not a bit.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I will admit that I am worried about YS down the road.  So far, they have handled things extremely well but darker days ARE coming and I just don't see how a show like this will be able to treat them in a way that is realistic, respectful, and still true to the nature of the show.

I am concerned about the same thing - things are going to change in this show if they stick to the same scenario that TBBT describes.  

I had watched the episode with Sheldon and Meemaw and the new video game when it first aired.  My husband missed it.  So after we both watched the football coaching job episode together this week (and found it rather dark), I said lets watch the episode he missed.  

We enjoyed the Sheldon and Meemaw/game episode so much!  I loved it even the second time.  We both commented how it was so fun, lighthearted and was so interesting as it showed how Sheldon became interested in video games.  Sheldon commented how special it was to solve the game with his Meemaw.  

This was the kind of fun part of the series that is most enjoyable. I know as they appear to be sticking to the script about George and Mary, it will have to take a down turn, but lets hope they can keep it from getting all bogged down in emotions that turn this into a comedy/DRAMA instead of a pleasant regular type comedy.  As much as I like the Mary character in TBBT, I find her kind of a drag at times in young Sheldon.   

• Love 4
On 11/3/2018 at 3:28 PM, Homily said:

Well I don't know about that!  The way they have consistently portrayed young Georgie does make me wonder what miracle occurred later that gave him the ability to run a thriving business.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:37 PM, kariyaki said:

He only has to be smart enough to hire people to do the stuff he can't handle. Managers, accountants... 

Bingo. As someone who works with small business owners every day I don't find it hard to believe at all. Especially since I'm the one who they call when the bookkeeper is on vacation and they are trying to figure out how much money they have in their account. It's been established Georgie has a knack for auto mechanics. He is also has social skills and understands the local culture. So he has some of the essential elements in place already and then add in the fact that people grow up and can learn things even if they aren't particularly bright. I suspect that given what we know about the character he probably had to learn some of those lessons the hard way, but he's always been portrayed as having a certain self awareness and a willingness to admit his limitations which is a big help in my experience. So it doesn't take a miracle, just a little bit of luck, a little bit of growing up, and a lot of hard work.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, freeser said:

I am concerned about the same thing - things are going to change in this show if they stick to the same scenario that TBBT describes.  

I had watched the episode with Sheldon and Meemaw and the new video game when it first aired.  My husband missed it.  So after we both watched the football coaching job episode together this week (and found it rather dark), I said lets watch the episode he missed.  

We enjoyed the Sheldon and Meemaw/game episode so much!  I loved it even the second time.  We both commented how it was so fun, lighthearted and was so interesting as it showed how Sheldon became interested in video games.  Sheldon commented how special it was to solve the game with his Meemaw.  

This was the kind of fun part of the series that is most enjoyable. I know as they appear to be sticking to the script about George and Mary, it will have to take a down turn, but lets hope they can keep it from getting all bogged down in emotions that turn this into a comedy/DRAMA instead of a pleasant regular type comedy.  As much as I like the Mary character in TBBT, I find her kind of a drag at times in young Sheldon.   

I agree with you, and really hope they keep the show separate and avoid going down that darker path just to maintain continuity with another show.  This latest episode, with the rift between George and Mary, was my least favorite episode of this show so far.  I haven't even cared to rewatch that episode, which has never happened before with Young Sheldon.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2018 at 10:27 AM, CherryAmes said:

I hope that in upcoming episodes we see more clearly that there is fault on BOTH sides in terms of the breakdown of the marriage and that they stop framing things in such a way that it looks like Mary pushes George into that descent into alcoholism and womanizing.  I had hope that they wouldn't pull yet another "she made him do it" crapfest but this episode is making me lose some of that hope.

I had that same feeling in this episode.  To be fair though there have been moments in earlier episodes where it does seem like they are showing the negative side of George (the episode where the twins are in that study and he wants to use the money they are being paid to buy a boat as one example) but overall I do get the feeling that they are going to make George a drunk who sleeps around and they're going to make damn sure we all know it's Mary's fault.  This is  Chuck Lorre show when all is said and done.  And if they really do do that like others have said then I'm done.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Dani said:

I can’t remember TBBT ever saying that they actually divorce. 

I'm positive that they are still married when George dies.  There are numerous mentions in BBT that indicate this but I think the biggest reason they don't divorce is Mary.  It's just not something she would have done.  They may end up separating (although again it sounds like George was sleeping with his girlfriends in the marital bed - bastard) so perhaps not.  Anyway I guess what it comes down to is George dies before they make any kind of final break in the marriage.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

I'm positive that they are still married when George dies.  There are numerous mentions in BBT that indicate this but I think the biggest reason they don't divorce is Mary.  It's just not something she would have done.  They may end up separating (although again it sounds like George was sleeping with his girlfriends in the marital bed - bastard) so perhaps not.  Anyway I guess what it comes down to is George dies before they make any kind of final break in the marriage.

The fact that they don't divorce almost makes me dread what is coming even more.  If they had divorced and George, we could at least have had Mary (and Meemaw) try to provide a "normal" life for the kids.  But now it sounds like we're going to get a lot of marital strife coming our way.

Watching this is kind of like watching The Crown.  You know what's going to happen, but you feel completely powerless to stop it (although I'm finding this far more stressful than the royal shenanigans of the House of Windsor).

• Love 3

We know from Georgie's revelation on TBBT that there was much in Sheldon's childhood that he wasn't aware of because everyone in the family went to great lengths to shield him from them. I don't know how that will be played out on YS. But the two story lines are not one-to-one, so there is room for improvisation. Sit-coms do sometimes deal with heavy issues without sugar-coating them. An Alfred Hitchcock episode dealt with juvenile crime with a tragic ending, and when Hitchcock came on at the end, he said, "If you're expecting an ironic twist to this story, there isn't one. Juvenile delinquency is a serious matter."

I wonder if YS would be nearly as interesting if we didn't have 10+ years of "foresight" to supplement it. Whether or not YS ever gets to the future dark events in its run, how can you see these characters without also seeing what lies ahead for them? Personally, I'd prefer that period to be presented as a tragicomedy featuring Georgie and Missy.

• Love 3

https://m.eonline.com/news/987707/we-re-getting-a-big-bang-theory-and-young-sheldon-crossover-but-how

It was just announced that Sheldon, Georgie and George from YS are going to appear in an episode of TBBT. I wonder is they are going to use this as an opportunity to walk back some of previous things Sheldon has said about George. Both shows have already had moments where they make it clear Sheldon interpretation of events is not entirely accurate.  

I hope they tread very carefully.  They must realize that even if the writers don't pay as much attention to earlier episodes as they should that their viewers certainly do!  I can accept that some things might be open to interpretation but some of Sheldon's memories were very specific - and revealed fairly recently - much as I would love YS to continue playing happy families for years I don't want that if it screws with everything we've been told on BBT.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I hope they tread very carefully.  They must realize that even if the writers don't pay as much attention to earlier episodes as they should that their viewers certainly do!  I can accept that some things might be open to interpretation but some of Sheldon's memories were very specific - and revealed fairly recently - much as I would love YS to continue playing happy families for years I don't want that if it screws with everything we've been told on BBT.

I agree. If they are going to make any changes I want them to use Big Bang’s last season to set it up in a believable way. There are somethings  they just can’t change like George’s affair or when he dies. Those two events were too detailed to be viewed as anything other than facts.

Sheldon describing walking in on his dad with another woman and the “living in sin” comment mentioned earlier both aired shortly before Young Sheldon was picked up. I would hope that there is already a plan in place to deal with it. 

On 11/16/2018 at 10:11 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Obviously, this is because those of us who watch TBBT know that the family never moved to Oklahoma so there was never really any possibility for George to accept the job.  But I wonder--and I realize that I won't get answers to this question in this particular thread--how someone who had never seen TBBT saw this episode.  For them, would the Oklahoma job have actually seemed like a possibility? 

I doubt anyone who is remotely familiar with the way traditional series television works would there was any chance that George would end up in the Oklahoma job in the end. At this point in the story when you are getting great ratings and everything is firing on all cylinders you don't change the setting and give up all the wonderful supporting characters they've created. Don't mess with success (especially when it also means messing with Texas!) As Dr. Strugis might say it would be falling victim to one of the classic blunders.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

....Annnnnd here’s our answer. I’d bet my lunch it will be a flashback/dream sequence in which we learn the negative aspects of George Sr’s character somehow just weren’t so. I’m glad they’re addressing the differences, but if that’s what happens it would seem like a cop out. To me. 

I prefer they do that, rather than ruin the sweetness of Young Sheldon.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

.Annnnnd here’s our answer. I’d bet my lunch it will be a flashback/dream sequence in which we learn that George Sr’s character somehow just didn’t drink, shoot the plates, sleep around, or have constant yelling fights with his wife.

I'd be surprised if they mess too much with the George we know from BBT.  If they are having a flashback that includes young Georgie and young Sheldon then they're flashing back or having a dream sequence that would be happening around the same time as the YS that viewers are currently watching.  

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 2

I found it interesting in tonight's episode when MeeMaw was explaining to her boyfriend why she didn't want to go to the dinner with him.  She was nervous because she didn't go to college and she was a screw-up in high school.  It made me wonder if this might be one reason that older Sheldon bonded with Penny.  She is similar to his MeeMaw in several ways, especially with their street smarts.  Both of them have a way of telling Sheldon the brutal truth at times.   Just a thought.  ;)

• Love 17
13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I found it interesting in tonight's episode when MeeMaw was explaining to her boyfriend why she didn't want to go to the dinner with him.  She was nervous because she didn't go to college and she was a screw-up in high school.  It made me wonder if this might be one reason that older Sheldon bonded with Penny.  She is similar to his MeeMaw in several ways, especially with their street smarts.  Both of them have a way of telling Sheldon the brutal truth at times.   Just a thought.  ;)

I hadn't thought of that, but I totally see it now.  And it brings something else to mind about Sheldon and Penny.

I realized that Missy in YS is basically what Penny was like as a child.  Sheldon and Missy have an interesting relationship--they have basically nothing in common, but they still have this closeness that is always there.  Well, it's always there for Missy.  Sheldon just mutilates her cabbage patch dolls.  But Sheldon tolerates Missy more than anyone else and while he is still pretty judgy to her, he is so in a way that is different than with anyone else....except with how he is with Penny in TBBT.

• Love 7

These moments where we see what a good dad George is to his kids seem to get more painful as we go, because we know what's going to happen to him. I'm sure his gossiping with Missy and comforting Georgie are to be very poignant memories for them. 

I'm going to bawl like a baby when George passes because we're being well set up by the show runners to see the impact. 

• Love 4

The girl who broke George's heart at age 15 (I'm blanking on her name, was it Catherine Dempsey?) must still be around their neighborhood if George watched Mary making cupcakes for her daughter's birthday party.  Are they setting up a story line for the affair we know George is going to have?

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I realized that Missy in YS is basically what Penny was like as a child.  Sheldon and Missy have an interesting relationship--they have basically nothing in common, but they still have this closeness that is always there. 

That's a good point!  I didn't think about it that way.  It would be funny if older Sheldon said that Penny is like string beans to him.  That would be a cute shout out for viewers of this show. 

• Love 1
On 1/18/2019 at 7:53 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I hadn't thought of that, but I totally see it now.  And it brings something else to mind about Sheldon and Penny.

I realized that Missy in YS is basically what Penny was like as a child.  Sheldon and Missy have an interesting relationship--they have basically nothing in common, but they still have this closeness that is always there.  Well, it's always there for Missy.  Sheldon just mutilates her cabbage patch dolls.  But Sheldon tolerates Missy more than anyone else and while he is still pretty judgy to her, he is so in a way that is different than with anyone else....except with how he is with Penny in TBBT.

I really saw the similarities between Penny and Missy in the episode where Sheldon experiments on Missy. It felt like a combination of the BBT episodes where he uses chocolate to modify Penny’s behavior and when he tried to each her physics. 

I'm starting to wonder if they could just skip the supposed affair. We already know that Sheldon sometimes misses the point. I.E. He thought Georgie was hungry instead of hurt and heartbroken. Maybe to Sheldon, hearing little things like Mary shouting, "Katherine Dempsey," were the huge fights that he remembers. I know he supposedly walks in on George doing something, but maybe he misunderstands what he sees when he walks in. I know. I know, total wishful thinking.

There are many- MANY times when I wish that CBS had decided to just do a show about another random boy genius. We could have all been, "They already have a genius outcast on Big Bang" but we could still love the family show of Young Sheldon without dreading what's coming down the road.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Bali said:

I'm starting to wonder if they could just skip the supposed affair. We already know that Sheldon sometimes misses the point. I.E. He thought Georgie was hungry instead of hurt and heartbroken. Maybe to Sheldon, hearing little things like Mary shouting, "Katherine Dempsey," were the huge fights that he remembers. I know he supposedly walks in on George doing something, but maybe he misunderstands what he sees when he walks in. I know. I know, total wishful thinking.

There are many- MANY times when I wish that CBS had decided to just do a show about another random boy genius. We could have all been, "They already have a genius outcast on Big Bang" but we could still love the family show of Young Sheldon without dreading what's coming down the road.

I would be very happy if the writers do that!

4 hours ago, Bali said:

At this point I would prefer if the show ends after the fifth season. That way they could end it with Sheldon graduating college and preparing to move to California. Then they could avoid dealing with the worst of the marriage problems and George’s death. I can’t see how the show continues past that point without completely retconning Sheldon’s backstory. 

5 hours ago, Bali said:

I know he supposedly walks in on George doing something, but maybe he misunderstands what he sees when he walks in. I know. I know, total wishful thinking.

I could see them maybe trying to go that route if the references made had been from the first seasons of the show but IIRC they make specific references to George's affair fairly recently on BBT.  It makes you wonder if they did that knowing YS was in the pipeline.  If so, deeply weird.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I could see them maybe trying to go that route if the references made had been from the first seasons of the show but IIRC they make specific references to George's affair fairly recently on BBT.  It makes you wonder if they did that knowing YS was in the pipeline.  If so, deeply weird.

That episode was in the tenth season just before the announcement that Young Sheldon was in development. Sheldon specifically says that he was 13 at the time. If the show continues that long they have to address it because it is the reason Sheldon knocks three times. 

On 1/22/2019 at 3:49 PM, Dani said:

I know he supposedly walks in on George doing something, but maybe he misunderstands what he sees when he walks in.

I'm trying to imagine how Sheldon could misunderstand seeing his father in bed with a woman other than his wife.   I hate to think of the George we see on Young Sheldon doing the things Sheldon and Mary have related on TBBT.  I can't see pretending they didn't happen and Sheldon either lied about them or completely got them wrong.  The writers' of YS have done a good job so far of handling emotional subjects, such as Mary's crisis of faith at the death of the teenage girl, and Mary and George's reconciliation after their fight about money.  I just have to hope they can continue to handle difficult storylines.  I don't think YS is a 'typical' sitcom.   It's got more heart and emotion than zingy one-liners.

• Love 4

I sincerely hope YS is an alternate dimension version of Sheldon from TBBT.  They may share things in common but the history and lore are not going to be 100% in continuity.  Heck, TBBT does not even have a good track maintaining continuity within its own show especially in the later years. Why should a spinoff show be required to adhere to all of TBBT backstories??

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DarkRaichu said:

I sincerely hope YS is an alternate dimension version of Sheldon from TBBT. 

Didn't Sheldon and Paige have an 'infinite number of universes' discussion?  The TBBT version of Sheldon definitely believes in them.  YS could go that way and I don't think many people would complain!  It wouldn't invalidate the adult Sheldon narration either.  That would still be alternate universe adult Sheldon.  I would like this approach because I could relax and enjoy the show as it unfolds rather than worry about how they'll handle negative events looming on the horizon.

• Love 2

I think the memories of Sheldon as an adult can be bent to fit the needs of the Young Sheldon universe. We all know that Sheldon is self centered and rarely picks up on nuances. Plus, think to your childhood and all the "adult" events you probably misunderstood.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

I think the memories of Sheldon as an adult can be bent to fit the needs of the Young Sheldon universe. We all know that Sheldon is self centered and rarely picks up on nuances. Plus, think to your childhood and all the "adult" events you probably misunderstood.

I think that can work for Sheldon aged 9-10.  Not so much for the memories that come later.  I wish they'd never gone down the "George is a drunken womanizer" road but they did and if YS walks that back I'd be surprised.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

think that can work for Sheldon aged 9-10.  Not so much for the memories that come later.

I don't know that the show will last that long anyway, between the actors getting older and Sheldon going to college when he's 11 (even though he won't be leaving home yet).

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

I sincerely hope YS is an alternate dimension version of Sheldon from TBBT.  They may share things in common but the history and lore are not going to be 100% in continuity.  Heck, TBBT does not even have a good track maintaining continuity within its own show especially in the later years. Why should a spinoff show be required to adhere to all of TBBT backstories??

I totally agree!  And since TBBT didn't always have the best continuity, I don't see why Young Sheldon should have to adhere to the backstory presented on TBBT, especially when it will diminish the show.

Another possibility ... a season on the show does not have to be a year for the family. (See The Simpsons.)  Depending on how long the show lasts, and how fast the kids grow, they could arrange to end the show while George is alive and he and Mary still get along.

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Another possibility ... a season on the show does not have to be a year for the family. (See The Simpsons.)  Depending on how long the show lasts, and how fast the kids grow, they could arrange to end the show while George is alive and he and Mary still get along.

That was what I expected but for now the show is moving in real time. There have been a few mentions of the year in both seasons. 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Sheldon and Missy have an interesting relationship--they have basically nothing in common, but they still have this closeness that is always there.  Well, it's always there for Missy.  Sheldon just mutilates her cabbage patch dolls.  But Sheldon tolerates Missy more than anyone else and while he is still pretty judgy to her, he is so in a way that is different than with anyone else....except with how he is with Penny in TBBT.

I agree. I think Missy would do horrible mean girl things to anyone who called Sheldon a freak or a weirdo. I could see Sheldon creating a crazy and elaborate revenge plot to get back at someone who said something mean about Missy. I would love to see Georgie and Sheldon work together to take down someone who was bothering Missy. I don't think we've seen the brothers work together for a common goal, and I think defending/protecting Missy is one of the few things that would bring them together.  

On 1/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, Dani said:

At this point I would prefer if the show ends after the fifth season. That way they could end it with Sheldon graduating college and preparing to move to California. Then they could avoid dealing with the worst of the marriage problems and George’s death. I can’t see how the show continues past that point without completely retconning Sheldon’s backstory. 

This works for me. The show is about the cute kids and once the kids have grown out of that stage, I'm not sure how good the series would be. Also, 5 seasons gets them to syndication, which would make everyone involved in the show and CBS happy. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Also, 5 seasons gets them to syndication, which would make everyone involved in the show and CBS happy. 

You don't need to make many episodes for syndication these days. I saw Banacek pop up last year, and all they produced of that series was two seasons of eight episodes each. YS had more in its first season. 

They get more money the more episodes they have. These days, four seasons will do the trick for a half hour show.  If a show makes it through two, they’ll probably get a free ride to four so that the network can cash in on syndication. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

They get more money the more episodes they have.

But they could switch to making something else that'll sell; it doesn't have to be this show. Because this is a prequel, the title character has to stay a self-centered jerk. How long do you want to watch a kid being obnoxious?

12 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

But they could switch to making something else that'll sell; it doesn't have to be this show. Because this is a prequel, the title character has to stay a self-centered jerk. How long do you want to watch a kid being obnoxious?

Finding another sitcom that will sell is easier said than done. The first season of Young Sheldon was the third most watched sitcom behind TBBT and Roseanne. It was the only new sitcom to make it into the top 50. CBS isn’t going to cancel it anytime soon. 

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

It was the only new sitcom to make it into the top 50. CBS isn’t going to cancel it anytime soon. 

YS has had the advantage of TBBT as a lead-in. That'll be gone next season. CBS has done some scheduling experiments with reruns of YS by itself, but I haven't heard how it went.

But then they’re already halfway to syndication. CBS loses money every week on the new episodes of Big Bang Theory because of actor salaries but it has stayed on the air because it pulls in big money on syndication. 

I loved that in tonight's episode, Sheldon tells Georgie to "be a lamb....."   He said the same thing to Raj when Sheldon, as a computer, asked Raj to "be a lamb and get the door."  I love these little consistencies with both shows.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I loved that in tonight's episode, Sheldon tells Georgie to "be a lamb....."   He said the same thing to Raj when Sheldon, as a computer, asked Raj to "be a lamb and get the door."  I love these little consistencies with both shows.

I knew grown Sheldon said "be a lamb", and I had forgotten which show.

Also, Georgie tells Sheldon he's crazy, and Sheldon said he wasn't because Mom had him tested. Another BBT reference.

• Love 5

Was watching a Big Bang Theory rerun today where Sheldon dragged out his mortal enemies list that he kept on a big floppy disk because he started it when he was nine. Which is how old he was when he got the computer in season one of this show. Hit the nail right on the head with the continuity on that one.

• Love 7

At some point, something has to happen to shift the dynamics between Mary and Sheldon.  In YS, she is almost bullied by her son but, in TBBT, she's the one who calls the shots and who Sheldon doesn't cross.  It could be this happens with the blow-up of the marriage and/or George's death, but I would like to see how it plays out (even if I'm dreading the end of the marriage and George's death).

• Love 2

The episode "David, Goliath and a Yoo-hoo from the Back" (s2e14) really lines up with Sheldon's and Mary's personalities in tbbt. I will focus only on Mary: 

In tbbt Mary told Penny "when I was your age you can have me with a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine". After seeing the Mary from YS It's sounded really out of character, not to mention that she probably had Georgie at that point. Hearing that Mary was pretty wild as a teen and became really religious just AFTER the twin's birth makes so much sense. In a wider view It shows that Mary's way of dealing with crisis is to become more religious, which would explain perfectly why she became even more fanatic after George's death. 

• Love 2