Type keyword(s) to search

TBBT vs Young Sheldon: Nitpicks, Anomalies, and Historical Facts In An Evolving Universe, presented by Sheldon L. Cooper

• Start Topic

I think they've shown signs of tension between Mary and George pretty much since the first episode which makes sense to me if they are going to stick with the marriage unraveling as per Sheldon on BBT.  What they haven't done (so far) is given us any reason to think George would not only start sleeping around but would be pig enough to bring his "girlfriend" home with him to sleep in the marital bed and risk being caught out by one of the kids or by Meemaw who lives across the street!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Homily said:

I think they've shown signs of tension between Mary and George pretty much since the first episode which makes sense to me if they are going to stick with the marriage unraveling as per Sheldon on BBT.  What they haven't done (so far) is given us any reason to think George would not only start sleeping around but would be pig enough to bring his "girlfriend" home with him to sleep in the marital bed and risk being caught out by one of the kids or by Meemaw who lives across the street!

I agree.  To me, it's two different universes... which makes sense because they are two distinct shows even though one is a prequel spinoff. 

So the people in charge can destroy George's character in an effort to appease the small percentage of the audience who will walk away if everything doesn't match up with the other show... or continue on making the best show they can now, without alienating their audience who love the characters they've created.

It's kind of a no-brainer to me, but I guess we'll see what direction they choose.

• Love 5

So, I think there is one little hitch that may lead to the episode Sheldon conveyed to Penny not being what we think it was.  

There are two different words in play here: coitus and relations.  In TBBT Sheldon has always used the word coitus, yet here he says "relations."  What exactly does that mean?  Does that mean he saw something sexual that wasn't coitus?  Does that mean that he saw something that he couldn't define in his mind and he labeled it as relations.  I don't know, but I do think there is a possibility that Sheldon saw something and misinterpreted what it was.  What we do know is that it wasn't "coitus."  (I will not deny that there is also a possibility that it was a slip by the writers and Sheldon walked in to witness exactly what we think he saw...)

• Love 5
On 5/18/2019 at 9:38 PM, AnnaRose said:

I agree.  To me, it's two different universes... which makes sense because they are two distinct shows even though one is a prequel spinoff. 

So the people in charge can destroy George's character in an effort to appease the small percentage of the audience who will walk away if everything doesn't match up with the other show... or continue on making the best show they can now, without alienating their audience who love the characters they've created.

It's kind of a no-brainer to me, but I guess we'll see what direction they choose.

Yep, I'd rather George does not have infidelity in YT or make it somekind of misunderstanding on young Sheldon's part

Although, the addition of cable and George watching boobies on TV will not sit well with ultra-conservative Mary. It may add a crack in their marriage

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Homily said:

Not sure where to ask this but does anyone know where the Big Bang Theory forum is?  Am I just not seeing it?

That’s weird. I just tried every way to access it and it doesn’t show up. Perhaps someone in a position of authority here just hasn’t gone through the five stages of grief yet and will return it when they have finished processing their feelings

• LOL 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Homily said:

Not sure where to ask this but does anyone know where the Big Bang Theory forum is?  Am I just not seeing it?

The original forum has been archived.  There is now a single show thread in other comedies.

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

The original forum has been archived.  There is now a single show thread in other comedies.

I knew they'd done that but it used to show  under my favourites and then it disappeared.  When I searched for it I couldn't find it anywhere.  Panic set in 🙂 .

On 6/20/2019 at 2:07 AM, Wanda said:

I wonder if this means they are starting the move to show Mary turning more towards the church as George turns to the “dark” side that TBBT Sheldon always implied.

I hope they won’t do that but there’s a possibility too. Anyway, I don’t want to see the “all the cheating and alcohol was actually his wife’s fault” theme for George. They already portrayed Mary as the bad guy in the Thanksgiving episode of last season. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Beetlepoet said:

Anyway, I don’t want to see the “all the cheating and alcohol was actually his wife’s fault” theme for George. They already portrayed Mary as the bad guy in the Thanksgiving episode of last season. 

I've seen whiffs of that theme throughout the run of YS and it's making me worry that that is indeed where they plan to go.  I keep remembering that this is a Chuck Lorre show after all.  I'm hoping if they do keep to the established history from BBT that they make sure to acknowledge that George is the only one responsible for George's choices.  I'm not optimistic about it though.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Driad said:

Adult Sheldon in BBT has an extreme aversion to keeping secrets.  Trying to remember what YS has had about this, maybe a painful experience involving a secret?

I'm trying, but I can't remember this actually being addressed in YS.  My guess is that it will come up later as things start to turn in the family.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

My guess is that it will come up later as things start to turn in the family.

Maybe Sheldon will find out something about George, and George will ask him to keep it a secret from Mary ...

19 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I'm trying, but I can't remember this actually being addressed in YS.  My guess is that it will come up later as things start to turn in the family.

There was the episode where Sheldon finds out a secret that George and Mee Maw have been keeping from Mary.  I don't remember the details now but I do remember that Sheldon was very upset about it.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:
3 hours ago, Driad said:

Adult Sheldon in BBT has an extreme aversion to keeping secrets.

Not really, he just seemed to like having an established cover story first.

I just watched the BBT episode (Howard was in space) in which Amy told Sheldon that Penny was thinking of breaking up with Leonard. Sheldon was in agony trying not to tell Leonard. 

51 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

There was the episode where Sheldon finds out a secret that George and Mee Maw have been keeping from Mary.  I don't remember the details now but I do remember that Sheldon was very upset about it.

Season 2’s A Financial Secret and Fish Sauce. Sheldon was doing the family taxes and found out that George gave money to Mee Maw to cover a gambling debt. Sheldon was so stressed about keeping the secret he tried to book a hotel room and ends up sleeping over at Tam’s. 

13 minutes ago, Driad said:

I just watched the BBT episode (Howard was in space) in which Amy told Sheldon that Penny was thinking of breaking up with Leonard. Sheldon was in agony trying not to tell Leonard. 

There’s also the one where Penny tells Sheldon that she lied about finishing community college and he ends up moving out to avoid Leonard. 

12 hours ago, Driad said:

Sheldon was in agony trying not to tell Leonard. 

There was also one of my absolutely favourite scenes from BBT:

Penny: (she really is cross) Oh, look, why is it so hard for you to keep one little secret?

Sheldon: I’m constitutionally incapable. (Penny groans angrily) That’s why I was refused clearance for a very prestigious government research fellowship at a secret military supercollider, located beneath a fake agricultural station 12.5 miles south east of Travers City, Michigan. Which you did not hear about from me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2019 at 9:46 AM, PennyPlain said:

There was also one of my absolutely favourite scenes from BBT:

Penny: (she really is cross) Oh, look, why is it so hard for you to keep one little secret?

Sheldon: I’m constitutionally incapable. (Penny groans angrily) That’s why I was refused clearance for a very prestigious government research fellowship at a secret military supercollider, located beneath a fake agricultural station 12.5 miles south east of Travers City, Michigan. Which you did not hear about from me.

I love that episode. Sheldon moving out and trying to stay with Raj and Howard before winding back with Leonard after being given sleeping pills. 

Sheldon: I’m ba-ack!

Leonard: I still don’t know why you left.

Sheldon: I can’t tell you.

Leonard: Why not.

Sheldon: I promised Penny. 

Leonard: You promised Penny what? 

Sheldon: That I wouldn’t tell you the secret. Shhhhh!

Leonard: What secret. Tell me the secret. 

Sheldon: Mom smokes in the car. Jesus is okay with it, but we can’t tell Dad.

Edited by Guest

Young Sheldon was very reluctant to shake or hold hands, e.g. wearing mittens when the family held hands to say grace at a meal.  When Prof. Sturgis returned in this week's episode, Sheldon shook his hand and it was a big deal.

Did BBT have instances of Sheldon shaking hands or refusing to do so?  (He did not want to hold hands with Amy at first, but I'm not sure about shaking.)

12 minutes ago, Driad said:

Young Sheldon was very reluctant to shake or hold hands, e.g. wearing mittens when the family held hands to say grace at a meal.  When Prof. Sturgis returned in this week's episode, Sheldon shook his hand and it was a big deal.

Did BBT have instances of Sheldon shaking hands or refusing to do so?  (He did not want to hold hands with Amy at first, but I'm not sure about shaking.)

It came up a lot on BBT. They established it as a part of his being a germaphobe. I could see him not having a problem shaking hands if he was confident the other person practiced good hygiene. 

F03D67B7-2062-48F9-BD16-AE5BE03130AB.jpeg

Edited by Guest
On 5/6/2019 at 2:29 PM, Homily said:

I don't know how they're going to handle Sheldon going to university but I wonder why people think he goes to California alone at 14?  I can't see that happening and I'd be surprised if this was ever stated either on BBT or in voice overs on YS.

It may also be a difference in the culture of the times.

I went to university in 1967. At that time Quebec ended high school at Grade Eleven. Anglophone students who attended Ontario universities, had a "Q" (qualifying) year before entering the normal four year course to a Bachelor's degree.

There were three or four students every year at Carleton University who were only 15 and many who were 16 when they started university. Some lived at home and commuted (Ottawa being on the Quebec border) and some lived in residence with students up to ten years older.

What I'm getting at is that "helicopter parenting" was not around much in the 60s. I'm not sure how much it was around in the 80s, but my kid got her first job at ten when the teachers went on strike and she got bored at home.

• Love 4

I pretty much figured as much when Missy first showed up on The Big Bang Theory and hit it off so well with Penny but it definitely becomes more and more obvious as this show progresses.

Although I think Penny is smarter, because she was usually able to figure out how to best Sheldon without resorting to physical violence.

• Love 3

The new episode is supposed to be about a college trying to hire George Sr because they want to recruit Sheldon.  No idea if that works out but if the show is going to try and keep to at least some of the established timeline from BBT then Sheldon should be starting university soon.  It would make a lot of sense if the university he attends is the same place his father works.  I actually hope they run with this storyline as Sheldon is wasted in high school.  I'll miss the librarian though if they do that.  She's comedy gold.

• Love 4

I was watching a Big Bang episode with Fun with Flags which made me wonder if we will see Sheldon develop is love for flags. I think we have already seen all of his other interests on YS. 

5 hours ago, Homily said:

The new episode is supposed to be about a college trying to hire George Sr because they want to recruit Sheldon.  No idea if that works out but if the show is going to try and keep to at least some of the established timeline from BBT then Sheldon should be starting university soon.  It would make a lot of sense if the university he attends is the same place his father works.  I actually hope they run with this storyline as Sheldon is wasted in high school.  I'll miss the librarian though if they do that.  She's comedy gold.

I hope they go forward with it too. It would give the opportunity for some good George and Sheldon scenes. Otherwise it seems too much like a retread of last seasons Thanksgiving episode. Keeping Sheldon in high school just highlights all of his flaws. Turning him into a small fish in a big pond will make him more sympathetic again. 

Edited by Guest

Tonight’s episode was interesting in that they confirmed they are sticking with timeline for when Sheldon starts college.

We’re also seeing Mary dive deeper into religion. They seem to be going with it being from her trying to maintain control over her family and not problems in her marriage like Sheldon said in TBBT. I like that change and I think it still works for continuity with Sheldon not understanding the reality of the circumstances. 

I hope they don’t completely vilify Mary to justify whatever happens with George. 

Edited by Guest
9 hours ago, Dani said:

I hope they don’t completely vilify Mary to justify whatever happens with George. 

I thought the first season did a pretty good job of showing that both Mary and George had issues and that this was affecting their marriage.  By the second season though it looked like they were going to justify anything bad that George ends up doing by blaming it on his mean wife.  Ugh.  

• Love 1
On 11/21/2019 at 2:07 PM, Homily said:

It seems from the voice narration that next season Sheldon may start college. The university understood that someone would have to drive Sheldon to and from school, which is why they were trying to hire George.

If it isn't a big sports school, I love the idea of subplots for George dealing with the culture shock as well as coaching students who may not be as athletic as the team in high school.    

Agreed that the librarian is comedy gold. However, I am sure there will be a similiar character to fill that role when he goes to college. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, GussieK said:

Can someone explain what happens to Missy in the future of BBT?  I do not remember hearing much about her. 

From earlier episodes all we really know is that Missy worked in a restaurant (blanking out on which one) but was tall, gorgeous and very confident.  Fast forward and we know she is married and gives birth to a boy, fast forward a few more years and she's separated from her husband and about to have a second child.  So, essentially, by her late 30s when Sheldon is about to receive a Nobel Prize, Missy has had a failed marriage, now has two children, and as far as we're told no job.  The writers at BBT didn't write a particularly rosy life for Missy as opposed to Georgie who went on to be the Tire King.

• Love 1

Georgie might be Dr Tire but he's had 3 failed marriages and no mention of any kids so I wouldn't say his personal life is an unqualified success.  It's interesting that ultimately it's misfit, unpopular Sheldon that has the rosy personal life at the end.  Who knows, maybe Missy and Raj end up together and make each other blissfully happy!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

It's actually pretty refreshing - and one of BBTs strengths - that they showed that higher education was a positive thing and you would probably have a better life, or certainly a chance of a better life, if you got a degree or two.  Unlike too many other shows that seem to go with the "do you want fries with that?" shctick when a character goes to university! 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Frost said:

Who knows, maybe Missy and Raj end up together and make each other blissfully happy!

Possible.  In the BBT episode in which we met Missy, she turned down dates with Leonard and Howard but was glad to see Raj.  Raj would likely be glad to have an instant family.

• Love 6

When this show ends, I not only need to get more details on Missy's life but I need to check back in with the Pasadena gang. All of them. We can't just be left with a voiceover reference to Shamy progeny. I hope someone at BBT had the foresight to contact Kaley et al for some epilogue scenes.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 6

We've got to assume that they've all moved out of those apartments!  Sheldon and Amy have at least 2 children at some point in time and when we last saw Leonard and Penny they were expecting a baby,   I guess if BBT had continued they'd have pulled a Full House and figured some way to keep them all still living in those apartments together but IRL not so much!  Wonder if they will ever have Sheldon reference  any of the gang.

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Love 2

This comment arises from the "glitter" episode, but putting it here for safety (even though I think mentioning Amy is fair game for that episode, given that she got a shoutout in the voiceover).

So lucky for Sheldon that he has found in Dr. Sturgis someone he obviously thinks of as a touchstone and source of advice in difficult social situations. Did it occur to anyone else, watching that scene, that Sheldon eventually married another (more stable) version of Dr. Sturgis? 😉

• Love 5
On 1/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, Driad said:

Possible.  In the BBT episode in which we met Missy, she turned down dates with Leonard and Howard but was glad to see Raj.  Raj would likely be glad to have an instant family.

And Raj flirted with her on the way to the airport after the wedding.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I have missed most of this season, but watching the latest episode and looking at all the familial bonding, and the rather quaint feeling this show tends to have, we really are set for a downer ending, if they decide to stick with the canon established in TBBT.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:28 AM, anna0852 said:

Was anyone else a bit sad to see Georgie and Sheldon actually bonding, knowing how hard they'll fall out in the future?

What I find sad, and try not to focus on, is that it's kind of obvious from BBT that Sheldon has a rough number of years coming up between leaving the relative security of his family until he meets Leonard and eventually Amy.  He is a very lonely young man for a few years there.

Edited by Beany Malone
  • Love 1

I’m really curious to see how tonight’s episode with Sheldon visiting Cal Tech goes. Maybe we will get some clues about exactly when Sheldon moves to California. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I’m really curious to see how tonight’s episode with Sheldon visiting Cal Tech goes. Maybe we will get some clues about exactly when Sheldon moves to California. 

Or not. I loved that shot of Sheldon and George in a familiar Big Bang Theory set. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 12:51 AM, displayname said:

I have missed most of this season, but watching the latest episode and looking at all the familial bonding, and the rather quaint feeling this show tends to have, we really are set for a downer ending, if they decide to stick with the canon established in TBBT.

Maybe I'm a weird outlier but I want that canon. I honestly think things are too good in the Cooper household right now based on what was established on TBBT. They chose to tell this story and it's actually dark and has an end point or at least a major shift when Sheldon leaves home for school. Ignoring that for money and ratings bugs me.

• Love 1