Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: The King, the Widow, and Rick

halgia
  • Start Topic

I just now finished watching this, and have no idea what happened. Maybe I'm slow, or deaf, or I just don't "get" the complexity of the artistry here. So letters are arriving? Do they have carrier pigeons or is Kevin Costner around? I was all but slapping my face, all but sticking myself with pins to try to concentrate but I just couldn't.:(

Near as I can figure . . . they picked some spot that was equally distant between Alexandria, Hilltop and Kingdom, so those still out in the field could communicate back to the communities the status of the battle without making the trip to those locations, and for the communities to communicate with one another. I guess.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Near as I can figure . . . they picked some spot that was equally distant between Alexandria, Hilltop and Kingdom, so those still out in the field could communicate back to the communities the status of the battle without making the trip to those locations, and for the communities to communicate with one another. I guess.

So each community has a "postman" who plays "leave a letter, take a letter" each day?  Okay.  I can live with that, if I need to.

I still can't with Rick trying to get the GPKs to join their side again.  Unless he wants them to join up so that HE can turn the tables on them and kill them all.  Otherwise it just makes no sense.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

They should have kept using crossbows with little messages tied to the arrows. 

What happens if the Saviors steal the mail?  Or better yet, what if the Saviors change the messaging on the mail?

I think that's why they use an abandoned microwave instead of an actual mailbox, to keep it secret. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

What happens if the Saviors steal the mail? 

But - tampering with the mail is a federal offense! I agree that the bow and arrow note passing, as demonstrated by Durryl and his his new BFF, Dwight, is probably the best method, barring carrier pigeons. OR, CDB&Friends need to work up some sort of code.

Amazing how the teen couple of the show has completely flipped in their abilities.  When I first started watching the show, I thought Chandlers Riggs (Carl) was an amazing young actor, and Katelyn Nacon was totally wooden as Enid.  Now I think that when all of the baby fat left Chandler's face, his acting went with it, while Katelyn has improved by leaps and bounds.

Am I . . . the only one who notices that?  Or is it just me?

Mr. pig is back from his trip and said the episode wasn't as bad as I'd warned him it would be...but he had to wake me up four times during the reviewing.

Is Ezekiel suffering from PTSD? I want him back almost as much as I want Shiva.

Jeezo Peezo, Rick is stupid.  He makes Cole from Survivor look like a nuclear physicist.

Did Gregory address Maggie as "Margaret"?  He's such a buffoon, but at least he holds my attention.

We now have another character to keep track of - Coral's new bestie, Gas Station Walker Trapper.

See?  I was paying attention when I was awake.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Re: Carl. Whenever I see him I can't help thinking that he can only read at a grade 4 level and knows nothing that was taught beyond that grade. Maybe he doesn't need to know about history, geography etc, but it's still kind of scary.

When you posted this I was thinking about the 1950 post-apocalyptic novel Earth Abides.  If you've read it you'll know what I'm talking about.  Ish, the focus of the book, realizes that in the new civilization his grandchildren are speaking in a way alien to him, and don't go to school because history and geography have no relevance in their world.  But as he dies

Spoiler

he realizes that his way of life is gone and that humans adapt - Earth Abides.  Powerful ending.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Re: Carl. Whenever I see him I can't help thinking that he can only read at a grade 4 level and knows nothing that was taught beyond that grade. Maybe he doesn't need to know about history, geography etc, but it's still kind of scary.

11 hours ago, spiderpig said:

When you posted this I was thinking about the 1950 post-apocalyptic novel Earth Abides.  If you've read it you'll know what I'm talking about.  Ish, the focus of the book, realizes that in the new civilization his grandchildren are speaking in a way alien to him, and don't go to school because history and geography have no relevance in their world. 

Hide contents

what great concepts this show will never explore

• Love 4
On 11/29/2017 at 7:33 PM, peach said:

Since they do have all those Saviors handy, you'd think they'd ask for information about whose baby that is.

I'm pretty sure Rick killed the father right before he found the baby:

(Cut to Rick walking down a back-lit hallway, rifle up. Most of the doors along the hall are closed, but he moves cautiously when he comes to an open doorway. He reaches a better lighted area. He opens a door and passes through, then pushes open a partially ajar door to reveal a fairly neat bedroom, complete with curtains, pillows, and a collection of candles. Moving on, Rick is reaching to open another door when a Savior attacks him from behind. They fight. Rick draws his gun but the man knocks his arm aside as it fires. Rick applies a choke-hold and the man backs them both into a wall, hard. Rick hangs on. The man backs them into a second wall, this one with a bracketed shelf. The shelf breaks, but the metal brackets remain)
Rick: The M2s. Where are they?
Savior: No...guns! (Gasps) Grace...
Rick: They’re in there?
Savior: No! No! (He propels them both backward again, hitting another wall)
Rick: Aah! (The struggle continues, but Rick holds on as the man tries to claw at his head. Rick looks over at the brackets) Aaah! ((He maneuvers them both forward, impaling the man on one of the metal brackets. Rick falls to his knees, breathing heavily)

And:

(The Savior Rick impaled is on the floor as Rick searches his pockets. He pulls out a set of keys. The man’s shirt is open to reveal a tattoo on his upper left chest which reads: Grace Be God. Cut to the door opening into the room the man was guarding; the keys are now hanging from the lock. Rick looks stunned. The room is a nursery. There’s a lion and a giraffe painted on one wall, along with an elephant, a tiger, and a cheetah in a tree. On a shelf, there are blankets/towels, cans of formula, baby bottles, jars of baby food, a small fan, along with other items. On the wall behind the crib, someone has painted the name Gracie. There is a handmade mobile with paper animals, including a hippo, a monkey (?), a Kuala bear, an elephant, a frog, a puppy, and what might be a dragon. There is a stuffed rabbit in the crib with the baby, who is sleeping peacefully. Rick approaches the crib, breathing shakily)
Rick: No. (Shaken, he looks at his reflection in the mirror, and exhales sharply)

Edited by Raven1707
Forgot to bold a name
  • Love 2

I’m thinking that leaving Gregory in a pen with the Saviors will bite them in the ass.  Sure, he’s a coward, but he’s probably smarter than those yokels and will use them to his advantage.   I hope so because I adore him.  He’s like Merle in that you know he’s an awful person, but you love him because he’s so damn unrepentant.  I hope Jesus pays for this stupid POW situation and that Gregory is the one who hands it to him.

i have not two fucks to give about those jabberwocky speaking junk idiots.  I would as soon as set their trash heap on fire.

tara needs to kill Eugene, not Dwight.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

tara needs to kill Eugene, not Dwight.  

I don't agree. I can't get past Dwight stealing all Daryl's shit, especially his angel wing vest (!!) and feeding him dog food sammiches when he didn't have to. Unlike him, Eugene has never done anything sadistic. Dwight is a scumbag. Eugene is not, IMO.

• Love 2

Is Carol now the only one from CDB left that isn't being a complete moron in this war? Rick, Daryl, Rosita, Tara, Carl, sort of Maggie (with this Savior prisoners situation) and now with this episode Michonne...WTF are these people doing? I can't make heads or tails out of the insane stupidity of these people. Lets not even get into people like Jesus.

Michonne just has to 'see stuff and things'. What the hell?!?! You people are in the middle of a war and you leave Alexandria completely unprotected. Have the parents (Rick and step-mom Michonne) still not learned that you can't leave Carl alone because he goes to leave the house to do idiotic things as soon as your back is turned? Who is even protecting Judith now? A red-shirt? Get your sh*t together people.

Carol is really the only one who hasn't done completely idiotic things (except for not shooting the legs of the Saviors in 8x04 by simply bending down under the truck) so far and she is being shoved to the back burner (AGAIN for a male's story to advance like in S6 and 7) to prep up Zeke after his losses and paving the way for Carzekiel (I'm guessing). She should be out there with the rest because hello, there is a war raging (supposedly). Not to mention that all the other characters are running around like children in a candy store. They need a stern talking to from mommy.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 10

Team Carol.  I'm in it for the duration, if only because Fear the Walking Dead sucked so epicly.  I have a high tolerance for crap, but not on the FTWD level.

This season has been horrible.  We are hanging in there, but mostly as a test of our tolerance for awful writing and direction.  We can only imagine the cast rolling their eyeballs when they get their scripts.

Just get rid of Negan (I like JDM as an actor, but I am done with this character) and move on.  Arctic glaciers move faster than this plotline.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Just get rid of Negan (I like JDM as an actor, but I am done with this character) and move on.  Arctic glaciers move faster than this plotline.

All Out War should have been started in the S7 mid-Season Finale (without ever introducing Trash People) and not the Season Finale. There was so little substantial material in S7 that they could have condensed to half a Season instead of stretching it out endlessly. But I guess condensed, coherent storytelling and characterization is beyond the capabilities of TWD creators.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, spiderpig said:

We can only imagine the cast rolling their eyeballs when they get their scripts.

Even worse - maybe they don't. And if they do, hefty paychecks can go a long way in soothing irritation.

1 hour ago, Smad said:

But I guess condensed, coherent storytelling and characterization is beyond the capabilities of TWD creators.

As they insist on demonstrating time and again. Whoever it is on the writing staff who fancies him/herself as another Fellini, you are not.

And can anyone shed some light on the purpose of the Garbage People? Why are they here? What have they done? Are they supposed to be surreal and symbolic of... something or other? Why do they take their clothes off to do handicrafts? Was it laundry day? Why is Rick enthralled, nay - mesmerized with them? I have questions!

1 minute ago, AngelaHunter said:

And can anyone shed some light on the purpose of the Garbage People? Why are they here? What have they done? Are they supposed to be surreal and symbolic of... something or other? Why do they take their clothes off to do handicrafts? Was it laundry day? I have questions!

They probably represent the writers room.

• Love 4
On 11/30/2017 at 11:18 AM, walnutqueen said:

Is "damn good in bed" some wishful fantasy, perhaps because someone imagines him doing "stuff and thangs"?  ;-)

Definite wishful thinking.  Lori, who knew Rick better than anybody, jumped on Shane's dick 10 seconds after she HEARD Rick was dead.  She didn't even go check for herself.  Whenever I read some comment about Rick's ass, I can't help thinking WHAT ASS?!?!?!?   I have no doubt that whatever good time Michonne and Rick have in the sack is ALL Michonne.  

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

And can anyone shed some light on the purpose of the Garbage People? Why are they here? What have they done? Are they supposed to be surreal and symbolic of... something or other? Why do they take their clothes off to do handicrafts? Was it laundry day? Why is Rick enthralled, nay - mesmerized with them? I have questions!

Me too.  As the kids used to say when they were young, "Daddy - get to the point!!!"

I could understand Oceanside in one episode (despite annoying Tara).  Terminus had the best story arc in - what? - five episodes?  Regarding the Garbage crew I have to chime in with the kids at the dinner table - "Daddy - get to the point!!!"

• Love 5

Terminus was wrapped up almost too soon.  This shit has been dragging since 1966 it seems.  

I dreamed I was Negans wife.  Jesus that was exhausting listening to all the monologueing. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

Whenever I read some comment about Rick's ass, I can't help thinking WHAT ASS?!?!?!?  

Personally, I think "man asses" are fine. I don't get this new appetite for men with huge bubble butts. Like, WTF? But I really have no interest in asses at all. What I like about Rick, superficially speaking, are his cute little bowed legs. We all have our thing, I guess.

26 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

I dreamed I was Negans wife.  Jesus that was exhausting listening to all the monologueing. 

Do you think he monolgues while he's doing it? Oh, god. Maybe recites poems to his dick? Or maybe dirty limericks? "There once was a Queen of Bulgaria... "  Oh, hell - not that one.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Personally, I think "man asses" are fine. I don't get this new appetite for men with huge bubble butts. Like, WTF? But I really have no interest in asses at all.

Hey now, we all have our preferences. I love a man who can actually fill out the jeans he is wearing, always have (I'm an ass kinda girl) so it's nothing new suddenly invented. At least not for me anyway. But when there is a lot of nothing to fill them out and the backside is just a lot of bunched up material, not a good look. It looks stupid and just makes me go 'find a damn pair of pants that actually fit'.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I do think that Rick has cute bow legs, but that's the only thing I find really attractive about him; otherwise, I think he's just ok, looks wise.

He's much cuter in interviews speaking in his native British accent.  Also, when he's had a shower.

13 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

He's much cuter in interviews speaking in his native British accent.  Also, when he's had a shower.

See, that British accent takes me out of his character even more.  Same thing with Lennie James and the actress who plays Maggie.  It just ain't right.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, we do, which is why I said "personally." Each to his own. If we all liked the same thing, stuff would get boring as hell.

Oh I know. I was just trying to have a little fun. ;)

• Love 1

The Cable Live +3 ratings are in for Episode 806, "The King, the Widow, and Rick":

“The Walking Dead” and “Monday Night Football” were tied for first place among adults 18-49 in the same-day ratings for the week of Nov. 20, and “MNF” had a lead in total viewers.

After three days of delayed viewing, however, “The Walking Dead” has opened up a lead in both measures. The show grew by 1.7 points in adults 18-49 (3.6 to 5.3) and by 3.59 million viewers. [11.878 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-3-ratings-for-nov-20-26-2017/

And here are the Live + Same Day and Live +3 ratings for Season 8 so far:

10-22-17 “Mercy” 11.439 million; 15.047 million
10-29-17 “The Damned” 8.923 million; 12.247 million
11-05-17 “Monsters” 8.519 million; 12.086 million
11-12-17 “Some Guy” 8.688 million; 12.361 million
11-19-17 “The Big Scary U” 7.845 million; not reported
11-26-17 “The King, The Widow, & Rick” 8.282 million; 11.878 million

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Watching Rosita blow that guy away is just as entertaining as it was the first time.

I didn't realize that Michonne is obviously in pain in the fight scenes and after (holding her side and wincing a little).

15 minutes ago, raven said:

Watching Rosita blow that guy away is just as entertaining as it was the first time.

I love it because it was high comedy. That whole scene was so unrealistic I couldn't help but laugh. That goes for anything to do with fire fights (whether with guns or RPGs) this Season to be honest.

• Love 1
On 12/3/2017 at 0:34 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Personally, I think "man asses" are fine. I don't get this new appetite for men with huge bubble butts. Like, WTF? But I really have no interest in asses at all. What I like about Rick, superficially speaking, are his cute little bowed legs. We all have our thing, I guess.

Do you think he monolgues while he's doing it? Oh, god. Maybe recites poems to his dick? Or maybe dirty limericks? "There once was a Queen of Bulgaria... "  Oh, hell - not that one.

He probably apologizes to Lucille and tells her not to look.

• Love 1

The Cable Live +7 ratings are in for Episode 806, "The King, the Widow, and Rick":

“The Walking Dead’s” seven-day ratings gains for the Nov. 26 episode were in line with what it’s been doing most of the season: It grew by 2.1 points in adults 18-49 (3.6 to 5.7) and by 4.44 million viewers. [12.727 million viewers]

In a light Thanksgiving week, however, those gains were farther ahead of the rest of the field than usual.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-7-ratings-for-nov-20-26-2017/

And here are the Live + Same Day, Live +3, and Live +7 ratings for Season 8 so far:

10-22-17 “Mercy” 11.439 million; 15.047 million; 15.736 million
10-29-17 “The Damned” 8.923 million; 12.247 million; 13.096 million
11-05-17 “Monsters” 8.519 million; 12.086 million; 13.007 million
11-12-17 “Some Guy” 8.688 million; 12.361 million; not reported
11-19-17 “The Big Scary U” 7.845 million; not reported; not reported
11-26-17 “The King, The Widow, & Rick” 8.282 million; 11.878 million; 12.727 million

• Useful 1