Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Season 16 Reunion Special

• Start Topic

That was an underwhelming reunion, it really dragged on, some of it felt like a straight recap of things.  Wheeling out the models again was boring, and going on about how they all supposedly had a crush on Brandon (*yawn*).  Then there was the guy who you could see his underpants underneath the shorts having his 'funny montage' and Kenya her singing one.  While it was obvious Kentaro was one of the funnier ones, I thought both Michael and Margarita could have fun too, the program needed more fun Margarita Time.  Not that that would have fit with the storyline.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 2

Y'know...I never thought I'd say this, but I actually felt sorry for the twins at one point. During the segment where they showed the "confessional" segments where they talked about each other's segments, it was clear (especially to anyone who has ever watched this show. Ever.) that EVERYONE does this. EVERYONE says pithy, bitchy stuff about each other's looks and EVERYONE shrugs at the camera and says, "I don't get so-and-so's look." It was pretty disingenuous of Kenya and Samantha to play victim and whine about what the twins said about their looks when every damn person in that room did the same thing. And how ironic that Kenya called them insecure, because the whole thing looked like a couple of insecure middle school girls finding the two girls in the room who were even less popular then they, finding a weak spot and digging in.

Unpopular opinion about Kenya, but the whole thing made me like her even less. I didn't find the "you all suck" moment at the show endearing or refreshing. Just unnecessarily bitter. I don't think her confidence in her talent was borne out in her designs. She struck me as a good seamstress and dressmaker -- but not a designer. 

• Love 20
4 hours ago, Fiero425 said:

even Margarita hugged the Twins at the end of the show! ;-)

Why wouldn't she?

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with you.  I thought the comments from most of the top 5 were a bit distasteful.

editing, editing, editing

No doubt he was given praise too, but the audience are so easily manipulated by the editing.

6 hours ago, ichbin said:

Margarita on the other hand learned...to just keep on doing what she was already doing. 

It looks like someone (Margarita?) had a suspicion, made it known mainly because she didn't like them, and it paid off.

I still don't get the picking on Margarita, most of the designers were annoyed by the twins. 

And the 'moral lesson learned' question that you'll almost inevitably get in American shows tends to be inflated nonsense anyway.  People will largely keep on doing what they have done, with hopefully more confidence.

5 minutes ago, bourbon said:

Y'know...I never thought I'd say this, but I actually felt sorry for the twins at one point. During the segment where they showed the "confessional" segments where they talked about each other's segments, it was clear (especially to anyone who has ever watched this show. Ever.) that EVERYONE does this. EVERYONE says pithy, bitchy stuff about each other's looks and EVERYONE shrugs at the camera and says, "I don't get so-and-so's look." It was pretty disingenuous of Kenya and Samantha to play victim and whine about what the twins said about their looks when every damn person in that room did the same thing. And how ironic that Kenya called them insecure, because the whole thing looked like a couple of insecure middle school girls finding the two girls in the room who were even less popular then they, finding a weak spot and digging in.

Unpopular opinion about Kenya, but the whole thing made me like her even less. I didn't find the "you all suck" moment at the show endearing or refreshing. Just unnecessarily bitter. I don't think her confidence in her talent was borne out in her designs. She struck me as a good seamstress and dressmaker -- but not a designer. 

I've always said this, that the confessionals are a big part of the show and people just like to pick out some people and make them villains.

I never particularly liked Kenya, I guess she was shown as some underdog character and some liked her more in the storyline based on that.  I don't hate anyone though, I can't pretend to know them.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I thought Amy coulda used a chill pill. We get it, you hate Claire. She seemed way too wrapped up in taking Claire down. I'm sure it's frustrating to know the truth and listen to someone flat out lie, but everyone knows Claire's lying and she got kicked off, so IMO Amy could have done some of that mouth shutting too.

I agree. I thought she was annoying. It’s like she’s obsessed with the twins. Let it go Amy. 

• Love 6

Say what you will about the twins, for the first half of the season they provided some drama to what would have been extremely bland season and I don't think they made it to the competition without the producers realizing it.  It was clear that Shawn was not a designer ( she may have ideas but she can't execute them) so they were accepted as a package but took up two spaces.  The other designers were competent and nice enough but there were few sparks other than Coco and Aaron who were kicked off fairly early.  The twins are reality show gold ( this is at least their second one) and that's why they were there. The cheating "scandal" was just a bonus.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Man, I was hoping someone would bust out with "Answer the question, Claire!  What's the big deal, it's only one question..." from The Breakfast Club.  I'd have fallen off the couch laughing.

Ha, I would have high fived anyone who did that!

• Love 7
10 hours ago, MrsClaus said:

Anyone else think that Claire would have been better off just keeping quiet?

She managed to make herself look worse.  Own up to it, apologize, say you broke down because of stress and that kind of behavior isn't typical of you.  Claire has no class or integrity at all.

Edited by terrymct
fixed a typo
  • Love 22
9 hours ago, ichbin said:

If I were to see Brandon walking down the street looking like he did on the reunion I would be looking for his band of followers behind him because he looked like the leader of some new wave cult.  He seems like a nice guy though.

His outfit looked like a baby's diaper exploded all over him.  WTF was with all those brown smudges?

Editing to add an additional thought:  Why would Claire have been measuring clothing in the bathroom of the workroom?  I can see using the bathroom to dye fabric, but why go in there with a tape measure rather than work not he table?  Probably because she had to take something off to measure it, but it seems almost as dodgy as measuring stuff back at the hotel/apartment.

Edited by terrymct
added a thought
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

editing, editing, editing

No doubt he was given praise too, but the audience are so easily manipulated by the editing.

LOL, yup.  That's me.  So easily manipulated.

Those designers said what they said.  They said it, it's on camera, there was no manipulation of dialogue.  I find it distasteful.  

I don't mind Amy being offended whatsoever by the cheating.  I could have watched even more of her haranguing them.  It was so awesome.

I've said it a million times, probably because I find it important to see twins as individuals, but I don't mind Shawn.  Claire is awful however.

Credit to Margarita, she was not annoying this episode.  Kentaro was humble AF.  Too humble actually.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 16
10 hours ago, slothgirl said:

Oh, and PR.. you seriously need a 2nd place prize of some sort. Cause, damn... watching that "2nd placers" short special really hits home how lame the final results often are.

Honestly.  Some of the second place collections were sublime.  

• Love 8

Those twins brought the eyerolls, indeed.  And perhaps were sponsored by Excedrin, for those Thursday nights when excessive eyerolling actually result in  headache #451.

Margarita' fake hug with the twins gave me life.

And I STILL miss McFarty Face's snide comments.  Come back, Michael Kors ~

• Love 10

I would like to see Amy come back as a judge or mentor or Tim Replacement or side kick to Tim, but not so much as a designer.

I had some sympathy for Claire when the cheating thing happened, not that I liked her, but her conduct at the reunion wiped that out. I agree Amy was overly obsessed with taking them down but I could see me doing that too. Watching someone lie is so annoying.

I could have done without the interviewing the model segment. What will be interesting is to see what models there are next season. is this a one time thing or actual commitment to use different body types?

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Yes, every single day of her life.

She was articulate and funny; if Tim ever leaves the show Amy would make a good replacement.

8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

This.

There is something very off-putting about her personality. Kenya and Margarita are not shy about expressing their feelings, but they aren't as smug and judge-y as Amy. Her attitude is irksome.

10 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I thought Amy coulda used a chill pill. We get it, you hate Claire. She seemed way too wrapped up in taking Claire down. I'm sure it's frustrating to know the truth and listen to someone flat out lie, but everyone knows Claire's lying and she got kicked off, so IMO Amy could have done some of that mouth shutting too.

7 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I would like to see Amy come back as a judge or mentor or Tim Replacement or side kick to Tim, but not so much as a designer.

I had some sympathy for Claire when the cheating thing happened, not that I liked her, but her conduct at the reunion wiped that out. I agree Amy was overly obsessed with taking them down but I could see me doing that too. Watching someone lie is so annoying.

I could have done without the interviewing the model segment. What will be interesting is to see what models there are next season. is this a one time thing or actual commitment to use different body types?

I can't stand Amy.  I do agree that she brought a lot of her teacherness into it, and that's fine, but to me she always looked so smug and full of herself. I did not find her comments entertaining in any way because it wasn't her place.  It was Tim's place.  Amy needs to learn when to turn off her teacher mode because during the competition and the reunion it wasn't her place.  If they bring Amy in to replace Tim I am so far out you'd never find me again.

9 hours ago, msburg said:

I was happy Kenya brought her scarf along for the reunion and told the story.  I knew there had to be one since we saw it all season long. 

I thought the story would've had more meaning.  Not "I bought it for $5 and now just wear it" lol.  I thought it would be more touching like a dear friend gave it to her or something.

7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Edited to say I am also done with Shawn's weird-ass cleavage. Just wrong for someone of her age.

I know it's superficial, but I just couldn't stop looking at it!!  At least learn not to lean over, Shawn!!

2 hours ago, bourbon said:

Same.  That was bitterness but everyone tried to laugh it off.  She had an inflated opinion of herself.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, apollonia666 said:

Amy, Batani, Kudzanai, and Cha Cha were all hilarious to watch every time the twins opened their mouths.  They should have had a camera trained on them with a reaction shot in the corner of the screen for the ENTIRE time. Loved Amy's Ed Grimley hair and John Bender Breakfast Club realness.  ANSWER THE QUESTION, CLAIRE!

BTW someone on Twitter caught that Thing 1 was mouthing along to Thing 2's word salad.  If you're going to rehearse your b.s. and that's still the best b.s. you can come up with? SAD!

That is wierd.  Likely because the response was rehearsed, but it could also be part of the twin thing!  They are very, very close.   I find closeness endearing although I also wonder if its a challenge to live so connected to someone.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Amy needs to learn when to turn off her teacher mode because during the competition and the reunion it wasn't her place.  If they bring Amy in to replace Tim I am so far out you'd never find me again.

I thought the story would've had more meaning.  Not "I bought it for $5 and now just wear it" lol.  I thought it would be more touching like a dear friend gave it to her or something.

I know it's superficial, but I just couldn't stop looking at it!!  At least learn not to lean over, Shawn!!

Same.  That was bitterness but everyone tried to laugh it off.  She had an inflated opinion of herself.

re Amy--I agree not her place at that time but if she was a Tim Replacement or sidekick, it would be her place--and I think she has interesting insight.

I agreed on the scarf story. It just made me wonder how she wears it every single day (it seems) and keeps it clean

I thought the you suck moment was just a joke. I liked Kenya but to me she had no business in the final. Good clothes maker; ok designer.  I felt like the other finalists, however, we're rude but I guess give them points for honesty. Kentaro was very gracious and they returned that with "I didn't think he had a shot at winning."

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I thought the you suck moment was just a joke. I liked Kenya but to me she had no business in the final. Good clothes maker; ok designer.  I felt like the other finalists, however, we're rude but I guess give them points for honesty. Kentaro was very gracious and they returned that with "I didn't think he had a shot at winning."

At least one person (Margarita?) stated it was because Brandon and Ayana won and/or got a lot of praise from the judges.  I didn't take it as they thought he didn't have a chance in winning because he sucked but just based on the judges feedback.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Claire is changing her story now, she outright said she measured two garments with the measuring tape and said so to Tim and in front of all the other designers.

When Tim asked her if she admitted measuring garment(s) after he posed the question to her, she replied, "I answered the question I THOUGHT I was asked."  Are we to believe she didn't hear/understand Tim's question?  She made herself look even worse.

• Love 18
Just now, Whimsy said:

At least one person (Margarita?) stated it was because Brandon and Ayana won and/or got a lot of praise from the judges.  I didn't take it as they thought he didn't have a chance in winning because he sucked but just based on the judges feedback.

that's a fair reading. I was just surprised they didn't try to sound more gracious.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Jextella said:

That is wierd.  Likely because the response was rehearsed, but it could also be part of the twin thing!  They are very, very close.   I find closeness endearing although I also wonder if its a challenge to live so connected to someone.

Extra weird is the shot towards the end of that clip where Shawn is mouthing along without even LOOKING at Claire.  

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL, yup.  That's me.  So easily manipulated.

Those designers said what they said.  They said it, it's on camera, there was no manipulation of dialogue.  I find it distasteful.  

I don't mind Amy being offended whatsoever by the cheating.  I could have watched even more of her haranguing them.  It was so awesome.

I've said it a million times, probably because I find it important to see twins as individuals, but I don't mind Shawn.  Claire is awful however.

I'm sure more was said, as it was edited it just looked like a series of pithy comments and that added to the effect you didn't like.  Even then all that we saw was that they thought they were as worthy of winning.

One of the things missed out from the storyline as presented was Kentaro's struggles in the episodes towards the end, I guess they didn't want to make out that the winner could have potentially been eliminated before the end.  He was kept in despite finishing in the bottom a few times so I think that shows the judges did like him.  Often if someone is in the bottom two times in a row they go home.  If he had been eliminated and Tim Gunn still had his save would he have been saved?  We don't know, there's never anything much on eliminations and the judges in these reunions. Here we just saw some montage of them looking at clothes up close, which we will have already seen in the episodes anyway.

I find these reunions quite vanilla.  What about Golden Boy Brandon for instance, nothing on him apart from whether people found him attractive.  What about the lack of variety in his designs and his extreme confidence that he would win and his later upset?  Nothing on any of it.

The only drama really was the predictable twins stuff, and I think it was obvious they were recruited for that purpose anyway.  The producers knew they would work with each other and that that would annoy others.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Exactly, this is the problem with them just showing short comments like that, instead time was spent on some montage of Kenya singing or Brandon being questioned about models fancying him.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

A feat which most of us thought impossible . . . but she did it!!!

Indeed.  :)

Question:  My DVR cut off the first couple of minutes; did Tim ask Margarita anything about how her family was doing in Puerto Rico post-Maria?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Anyone catch Shawn's - I will always fall on my sword for Claire?  Re-writing history.  

Ha. Great minds!  It bothered me at the time and bothered me last night (much like the twins in general)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

Yikes, I'd forgotten how much I despised the twins.  Even before anyone talked about the cheating scandal, they showed that cute montage of the twins and their vedddddy vedddddy precise way of speaking ("indeed!"), then they cut back to the twins.  Most people would have laughed about themselves at that point or made some funny remark, but, ohhhhh nooooo, not with these two.  Instead they just immediately started back in with the pompous self-aggrandizing blah, blah, blah.  On reflection, though, other than cheating, totally lacking a sense of humor or self-awareness, not having an independent fashion viewpoint from one another to the point where when asked to directly compete they couldn't do it, and in general behaving like a pair of clueless pretentious twits, what's not to like?

I really hope that this was the last we see of the twins.  I would really hate to see them brought back for some "All Star" drama somewhere down the line. 

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Indeed.  :)

Question:  My DVR cut off the first couple of minutes; did Tim ask Margarita anything about how her family was doing in Puerto Rico post-Maria?

No there was nothing that I heard, I don't think I missed anything. 

There was an interesting bit possibly filmed  pre-season where she was talking about leaving Puerto Rico as the economy was in poor shape.  I expect most Puerto Ricans would like their island to be incorporated into the US as they'd be better off.

You have late nights. Things get misplaced. They get put in pockets. And things come home.

This is the part of Claire's "explanation" that really riled me. It's right up there with "Mistakes were made" as if the Magical Elves themselves put that measuring tape in her pocket without her knowledge.

• Love 20
9 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

No there was nothing that I heard, I don't think I missed anything. 

There was an interesting bit possibly filmed  pre-season where she was talking about leaving Puerto Rico as the economy was in poor shape.  I expect most Puerto Ricans would like their island to be incorporated into the US as they'd be better off.

Thanks!  You know what, now that I think about it, I believe the reunion was taped shortly after (perhaps RIGHT after) the Fashion Week shows.  Tim's forehead boo-boo was still healing, and he asked the designers "Have you been watching the season?" vs. "Did you watch the whole season?"  There probably wasn't any update that Margarita could have given at that point.  She seemed pretty chipper, though.  Good compartmentalizing on her part.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I thought the you suck moment was just a joke

Perhaps...but it read as one of those "jokes" where people say something mean but true and try to pass it off with "j/k!!" Everyone seemed surprised at Kentaro's win or that he even made it to final, but for Ayana and Margarita, it read more that they were surprised given the judges' previous reactions to his work. With Kenya it read that she was surprised because she was that much better than anything Kentaro could do. It just felt very ungracious to me.

I just thought it was odd that they kept praising Ayana with the compliment that her garments were modest but sexy. Like that is the be-all of a garment. Granted, I'm a woman of a certain age who likes to be a little more covered, but why is the assumption that a woman wants to project modest AND sexy...particularly if her reasons for wanting to be modest are based in religion? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of being modest if you're also projecting sexy? I don't know. I guess I just don't get the whole "modesty" thing. 

Edited by bourbon
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, bourbon said:

Perhaps...but it read as one of those "jokes" where people say something mean but true and try to pass it off with "j/k!!" Everyone seemed surprised at Kentaro's win or that he even made it to final, but for Ayana and Margarita, it read more that they were surprised given the judges' previous reactions to his work. With Kenya it read that she was surprised because she was that much better than anything Kentaro could do. 

I just thought it was odd that they kept praising Ayana with the compliment that her garments were modest but sexy. Like that is the be-all of a garment. Granted, I'm a woman of a certain age who likes to be a little more covered, but why is the assumption that a woman wants to project modest AND sexy...particularly if her reasons for wanting to be modest are based in religion? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of being modest if you're also projecting sexy? I don't know. I guess I just don't get the whole "modesty" thing. 

I understand on the joke thing but I read it as "real joke" but who knows. You can obviously read it either way.

I was not a fan of the modesty stuff. I'd prefer they call it something else "clothes for those who feel they need to be covered neck, to wrist to ankle".

I view myself as modest but I would not want to wear things that body covering and I resent any implication that having a skirt stop at the knee (but not wearing pants underneath) is not modest. It just implies a judgment to me which may not be intended. But that part annoys me.

• Love 9

I said it before but Amy is living proof that those who can, do, those who can't teach.  I get her a lot after seeing the reunion.  She's a middle aged teacher, not attractive, quite masculine and will almost certainly live the rest of her life teaching people like Claire and Shawn.  She has no prospects of a design career so you can understand her bitterness.

Edited by gingerormaryann
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

I really hope that this was the last we see of the twins.  I would really hate to see them brought back for some "All Star" drama somewhere down the line. 

Oh, I bet there's a reality tv producer somewhere just dying to put these 2 back on the air; and it wouldn't surprise me if it was for some iteration of PR. Perhaps an "All-Villain" design-off is in the works!

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I view myself as modest but I would not want to wear things that body covering and I resent any implication that having a skirt stop at the knee (but not wearing pants underneath) is not modest. It just implies a judgment to me which may not be intended. But that part annoys me.

YUP. It's kind of the problem I have with school dress codes, the idea that skin baring automatically = immodest and covering yourself from head to toe automatically = modest. It's the judgment and overgeneralization and making an assumption about someone's values based on the length of her skirt. But that's more a comment on fashion and society than the show, so enough from me.:)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

Thanks!  You know what, now that I think about it, I believe the reunion was taped shortly after (perhaps RIGHT after) the Fashion Week shows.  Tim's forehead boo-boo was still healing, and he asked the designers "Have you been watching the season?" vs. "Did you watch the whole season?"  There probably wasn't any update that Margarita could have given at that point.  She seemed pretty chipper, though.  Good compartmentalizing on her part.

I noticed Tim's healing wound too.  I was surprised they didn't cover it up more with makeup.  I spent too long staring at his head and wondering if regular film makeup would look weird on him because of his very thin, light hair and not being able to really blend it in.

38 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

When Claire brought up being accused of knocking off the clothing they brought with them, I was really hoping for a side by side photo of the outfit she was wearing on day one and the outfit she made for one of the challenges. They were exactly the same. Just like Shawn making  having her sister sew the same outfit the model was wearing while they talked about what she wanted for the model's day off challenge.

I think they dropped the ball on this.  They should've done all of the side-by-side comparisons of their copied outfits that we've been posting here and people have been posting all over the internet.  They need to know that they are fooling no one.

15 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Oh, I bet there's a reality tv producer somewhere just dying to put these 2 back on the air; and it wouldn't surprise me if it was for some iteration of PR. Perhaps an "All-Villain" design-off is in the works!

Don't give them any ideas!!

• Love 9

JMHO, If you hated the twins on this show, you would have really hated the twins on the show "twins" where htey lied to people repeatedly, made out with different guys to get ahead, basically were very unpleasantly manipulative. 

As far as what is said in the talking heads, I remember that there is a producer there goading them onto say the most outrageous things. If you want to be featured and encouraged, you play along.  I don't take any talking heads seriously on any of these shows. 

• Love 4

Seeing the twins again made me realize how much I hated them. They suck the air out of every room they are in. It is obvious they are used to being the center of attention. They think the world revolves them. It probably does in their little corner of it. You can also tell they love drama and thrive on it. I never want to see them again.

Claire should have just said, "yup, I cheated. I'm sorry." What she said in the break room on that episode was completely clear. There wasn't a barrage of questions. It was all pretty darn clear cut. I would have so much more respect for her if she had just copped to her cheating and apologized. 

Love Kentaro. He seems like such a sweet, funny soul. I love his friendship with Brandon. Except for Margarita, who is annoying, the final four seemed like really good people. I liked Ayana's aesthetic. It was different. She made some lovely garments. 

I agree that Kenya was an awesome dressmaker. Just not a designer.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

A person with integrity - upon finding a forbidden tape measure that had she had accidentally put in her pocket - SHOULD have said something like this to the group:  "Yikes, guys.  I forgot I had put this tape measure in my pocket.  I know it's against the rules to have it.  I'm going to put it outside the door to our apartment/hotel room RIGHT NOW, and will call production RIGHT NOW and let them know it's there."  (I'm assuming they have a number for production in case someone gets sick or something during the night.)

People who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.  (Credit:  Dr. Phil)

Or, alternately, a person with just a modicum of integrity would have simply and quietly returned it--unused-- the next morning to avoid questions and potential problems. The revolving story about the mystic tape measure just reinforces the lie and the cheat.

My understanding is the the twins seem to think they have a lucrative future on reality shows, this not being their first and possibly not their last. They seem to want to sell the quasi uniqueness of their twinness as a media hook. There was an article a few weeks or a month or so ago where they were interviewed by their hometown paper or some such; they were spinning the 'misunderstanding' BS then as well, trying to paint themselves a sweet young things who just didn't know what could have possibly happened to make them look like lying cheaters, the poor dears.

• Love 15

I want to see the twins starving and doing challenges on Survivor. Or navigating the world on the Amazing Race!!  Or maybe a cooking show like Chopped  where they can race through the kitchen. Lol

• Love 4