Type keyword(s) to search

Media for The Terror

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

When will this start?  All I could find -- at IMDB -- was that it's an AMC production.

2018, no date announced yet which is why I’m shocked someone requested this so early.

• Love 1

Huh, I’ve been so excited for this but that extended preview kind of cooled me down. There’s so much I don’t recognize from the book — who’s that woman?? —that I wonder how much they’re going to differ. And that eyelid scene is going to gross me out forever. What a cast though! 

‘The Terror’: AMC To Launch Entire First Season For Premiere Customers

AMC is taking a page out of its successful launch strategy for McMafia for its new drama series The Terror. The network says it will make all ten episodes of The Terror available to its Premiere customers Monday night when it debuts on TV. The move continues the binge strategy AMC used for its most recent original series McMafia, which the network says helped propel AMC Premiere to its most successful week ever in terms of new customer additions and viewership.

The entire first season of The Terror will be available for AMC Premiere customers  simultaneously with the linear premiere at 9 PM March 26. AMC made McMafia available in a similar manner, with all eight episodes generating viewership within the first 24 hours.

14 hours ago, raven said:

Taken from the episode thread - I like the idea of an anthology series.  They could tackle the Mary Celeste, which is a fascinating one too.

Ooo, the Mary Celeste does sounds interesting. I'd love it if they stayed within this general time frame (pre-20th century), kind of a historial/period piece, based on real life mysteries. The cast is so amazing I'd love to see them back too, a la American Horror Story.

(edited)
On 4/26/2018 at 1:54 AM, raven said:

Taken from the episode thread - I like the idea of an anthology series.  They could tackle the Mary Celeste, which is a fascinating one too.

Hmm, will it have monsters/supernatural creatures too, I wonder?  Will it be another Arctic adventure?  More to the point, will it feature the same cast?  Never hear of the Mary Celeste, will have to look it up.

Edited by Earlwoode
(edited)

DOn't know whether this belongs in the media thread or the coffee shop thread, but all y'all on Twitter really need to follow this woman to see her portraits of the cast (not the same photos already posted.. these are paintings)

https://twitter.com/AleTrixy

Jared Harris has retweeted some.

I may have to join twitter just to follow JH. He's also apparently a heartfelt voice for women and minorities' rights... as if I needed more reasons to love him!

Actually, you don't really need a twitter account to see them, or I wouldn't have been able to. DOH!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, slothgirl said:

DOn't know whether this belongs in the media thread or the coffee shop thread, but all y'all on Twitter really need to follow this woman to see her portraits of the cast (not the same photos already posted.. these are paintings)

https://twitter.com/AleTrixy

Jared Harris has retweeted some.

I may have to join twitter just to follow JH. He's also apparently a heartfelt voice for women and minorities' rights... as if I needed more reasons to love him!

Actually, you don't really need a twitter account to see them, or I wouldn't have been able to. DOH!

Oh my gosh, just looking at her work got me started crying again. Perfect.

I wish I had a twitter account just so I could give her a few huzzahs.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1

For fans of the show's writers, this is a bummer:

And for those of you who were impressed by Kajganich and Hugh's vision and are curious to see their take on a new story in Season 2, I have bad news. "Dave and I aren't coming back for Season 2 by our choice," Hugh says. "We're just really excited to see what AMC does with what we've done."

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-terror-season-2-amc/

Thanks for the link to the artist's drawings. I especially like the her depiction of Lt. Hodgson. Very haunting.

I found this photo on Nive Neilen's (Silna) Twitter. Tell me that I am not the only one a bit freaked out by it. I am going to need time to recover from this show.

DTdsooCVMAAViUn.jpg:large

• Love 6
(edited)

It took me a while to realize that the publicity still of Crozier has his hand on Neptune's head.  Jacko (Jocko?) the monkey, is on Franklin's shoulder.  I think the point is to clarify that Jacko was Franklin's critter.  Neptune was on Terror for sure (remember he tells Hickey what he thinks of him in Crozier's quarters while Hickey is there caulking the honey bucket?)  So, Neptune was presumably Crozier's.  (On Terror and in his quarters and then in his publicity still.)

Interestingly, Neptune is a Newfoundlander (or "Newfie").  BFF's family are all Coast Guard officers and Newfies are what they raise and train as naval Search and Rescue dogs.  They are excellent creatures for swimming in cold water and strong as hell so they can drag a flailing sailor back to safety.

I guess they didn't deploy Neptune to save the guy who went overboard because they were on Erebus.  (Erebus had the retractable steam powered propeller that got clogged with ice.)  

image.thumb.png.49bc461abf028b47efc9ef91a40a6a14.png

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/newfoundland#/slide/1

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, SimoneS said:

I found this photo on Nive Neilen's (Silna) Twitter. Tell me that I am not the only one a bit freaked out by it. I am going to need time to recover from this show.

DTdsooCVMAAViUn.jpg:large

Super cool : )  ! ! !    They look like they're having fun and they all got along. : )

16 minutes ago, Captanne said:

It took me a while to realize that the publicity still of Crozier has his hand on Neptune's head.  Jacko (Jocko?) the monkey, is on Franklin's shoulder.  I think the point is to clarify that Jacko was Franklin's critter.  Neptune was on Terror for sure (remember he tells Hickey what he thinks of him in Crozier's quarters while Hickey is there caulking the honey bucket?)  So, Neptune was presumably Crozier's.  (On Terror and in his quarters and then in his publicity still.)

Interestingly, Neptune is a Newfoundlander (or "Newfie").  BFF's family are all Coast Guard officers and Newfies are what they raise and train as naval Search and Rescue dogs.  They are excellent creatures for swimming in cold water and strong as hell so they can drag a flailing sailor back to safety.

I guess they didn't deploy Neptune to save the guy who went overboard because they were on Erebus.  (Erebus had the retractable steam powered propeller that got clogged with ice.)  

image.thumb.png.49bc461abf028b47efc9ef91a40a6a14.png

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/newfoundland#/slide/1

Awww Neptune (or reasonable facsimile : ) ) !!!    I did see Neptune next to Crozier in the portrait and thought "Awww he's Crozier's doggo."  : )       And yeah Newfie's are incredibly powerful dogs, woulda been kind of a cool scene to see him jump in and save the man that went overboard.   But I really appreciate the fact that he was kept (somewhat) in the background so that we didn't get to attached to him. (besides that scenario woulda been too "Disney" LOL)

FUCK Hickey for killing him.    Think I'd kill and eat a person before a sweet, not to mention helpful, dog.

On another note, Captanne,  thank you for your posts making me think more about the whole series.   I'm especially liking and pondering your post in the finale thread about it all being about British hubris. 

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 4
(edited)

Aww, thanks!  It's true -- the hubris is the common complaint throughout the literature I've read recently.  (I think it's in Simmon's Terror, too -- but I read that about five years ago.)

England, for most of the 19th Century, ruled the waves and the globe.  Queen Victoria famously said, after India was colonized, that "The Sun doesn't set on the British Empire" -- because somewhere colonized by England it was always daytime.

So, the English seemed to view foreigners as children -- someone to be tolerated and amused until they grow up into full-fledged Englishmen.  It worked both ways, though.  The English refused to adopt/adapt to local customs because they thought they were the epitome of mankind.  As we see in the extreme environments, only those survive who are willing to adapt.

ETA:  I was just thinking about this adaptation thing -- it's clearly what ultimately saves Crozier.  Probably the most remarkable thing he had to simply "accept as their ways" was letting Silna go.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Captanne said:

Queen Victoria famously said, after India was colonized, that "The Sun doesn't set on the British Empire" -- because somewhere colonized by England it was always daytime.

When I've gone to England, it seems to me the phrase should have been"The sun never shines on the...."

• Love 2

Heh.  But, her point was it may be raining in London but it's shining somewhere the UK calls part of her empire.

well, yes, I know what the point is... that the empire is so spread, that it's always daytime somewhere. But when you are in London, it's just ironic.

• Love 2

I've seen folks here mentioning books they've read on the real life events of the Terror and the Erebus.  Could any of you please recommend some titles on the subject, aside from Simmons' book, of course.  ::g::

(edited)

Yes, of course!  Ice Blink (2000) by Cookman is excellent and an easy read.  Crozier:  The Last Man Standing? (2007) by Smith is also excellent and an easy read.  I'm not sure I trust his soap opera-like interpretation of Crozier's private life but otherwise, it's very good.  Particularly explaining Crozier's experiences with Ross in the Antarctic and his experience with Parry looking for the North Pole.  Frozen in Time (1987) is written by Beattie and Geiger who were the first recent folks to find the remains on King William Island.  They are really the authorities of the professional forensic science starting in 1981.

I'm about to pick up Ice Ghosts (2017) by Paul Watson and a biography of James Fitzjames (2010) by William Battersby.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 4
(edited)

I just borrowed,  Fatal Passage: The Story of John Rae, the Arctic Hero Time Forgot by  Ken McGoogan. It is about Dr. John Rae who an intrepid explorer who adopted the Inuit traditions to survive and successful explore the Arctic. He is one of the first to discover the Northwest Passage. He was shunned by British society (led by Charles Dickens and Lady Franklin) because he brought back artifacts and stories from the Inuit about Franklin's men starving to death and resorting to cannabilism. I just started reading it so I can't give a lot of feedback as yet.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Yes, of course!  Ice Blink (2000) by Cookman is excellent and an easy read.  Crozier:  The Last Man Standing? (2007) by Smith is also excellent and an easy read.  I'm not sure I trust his soap opera-like interpretation of Crozier's private life but otherwise, it's very good.  Particularly explaining Crozier's experiences with Ross in the Antarctic and his experience with Parry looking for the North Pole.  Frozen in Time (1987) is written by Beattie and Geiger who were the first recent folks to find the remains on King William Island.  They are really the authorities of the professional forensic science starting in 1981.

I'm about to pick up Ice Ghosts (2017) by Paul Watson and a biography of James Fitzjames (2010) by William Battersby.

I'm currently reading Ice Ghosts (about halfway through), and can recommend it as being quite excellent.

I'm getting along through Beattie's book and, I was right, Smith on Crozier is very soap opera-y.  Beattie barely mentions Sophia Franklin.  Of course, he barely mentions Crozier for that matter, but when he does he's highly complementary.

38 minutes ago, slothgirl said:

Amazon is out of stock of the Smith biography... I wonder why? ;)

Funny, that.  ;-)

Well, I can always resort to the Kindle version, if needs be.

I feel myself heading down a rabbit hole reading interviews and stuff about the show.

Here's an interview with Harris and Menzies. Lots of interesting stuff in this. I particularly liked this, from Harris, talking about the history of the real ships:

Both ships had discovered large parts of the Antarctic. The two volcanoes that exist in the Antarctic are named the Terror and the Erebus after the two ships. So they’d actually had a long history of successful service. They were part of – which might not make you [American journalists] so happy – but in your national anthem, about the rockets’ red glare, that is The Terror raining down fire on Washington. So they’d had a long naval history.

• Love 6

'The Terror' Renewed for World War II-Themed Second Season at AMC

The basic cable network has renewed the anthology from Ridley Scott for a World War II-themed second season with a new cast and creative team.

The series, AMC's first anthology, will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Terror worked for me because it's an historical mystery I've been fascinated with for years.  I thought it was an unfortunate decision to make the Tuunbaaq real and to over emphasize it as the primary threat to their survival.  

The direction they are taking the new plot sounds to me like they are most thrilled with the exact things I didn't like about The Terror. 

If they turn this into an historical version of American Horror Story, I won't be watching for the fascinating plotline.  I enjoy AHS and, if Jared Harris is part of the ensemble case for this series, I'll give it a go.  But, not for the reasons I tuned into The Terror.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1
(edited)

I know.  That got my attention.  I'm so surprised.  Not even a nomination.

***I'm not into awards other than to know they help cast and crew in their careers -- so I'm all for awards.  I just don't care about them otherwise.  So - due to lack of familiarity with the system -- perhaps the timing was off for consideration this year?  I mean, no nominations at all is kind of shocking.  I expected at least a technical nod.  Or, perhaps, music.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

I was particularly rooting for Jared Harris. So phenomenal. I can't remember the other noms in any category The Terror would be eligible for, but there are so many shows and platforms that many worthy candidates have to be passed over.

• Love 5
On 7/16/2018 at 10:24 PM, peeayebee said:

I realize that. I just wondered which shows got nominations in categories that The Terror could have been nominated in, i.e., NOT Best Comedy.

I was replying to the poster who wonder if the timing was off for being included this year

• Love 1

Some casting news from Deadline;

Star Trek original George Takei is set for a series-regular role in Season 2 of The Terror, Ridley Scott’s anthology drama for AMC, and also will serve as a consultant.

Set during World War II, the second season of follows a series of bizarre deaths that haunt a Japanese-American community and a young man’s journey to understand and combat the malevolent entity responsible. Kiki Sukezane (Lost in Space), Miki Ishikawa (9-1-1), Shingo Usami (Unbroken) and Naoko Mori (Everest) also have joined for the sophomore run, which premieres in 2019.

• Love 3