Type keyword(s) to search

Take Two - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 7/28/2018 at 2:14 PM, Jacks-Son said:

I preferred SciFi, fantasy, and spy shows and never bothered with shows outside those genres, hence never saw a single episode of any of the L & O series and similar shows. No M.A.S.H., Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld, The Shield, The Wire, OZ, Agatha Christie, Monk, or Psyche.  If it was popular and not SciFi or Fantasy, I didn't watch it.  

Sorry for the out of nowhere reply (just checking out the Take Two forum to see if I should bother binge watching it) but I suspect anyone who loves scifi and rapid fire, breezy dialog would like Psych. 

357f614676e85ad3142406fe69ee4e91.jpg  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Sorry for the out of nowhere reply (just checking out the Take Two forum to see if I should bother binge watching it) but I suspect anyone who loves scifi and rapid fire, breezy dialog would like Psych. 

I guess it I could watch the "Gilmore Girls" for its rapid fire dialogue, I could watch "Psych". I would recommend watching "Take Two" in however fashion you prefer. It's a fun show.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, tessaray said:

357f614676e85ad3142406fe69ee4e91.jpg  

For the uninitiated: I'd say Psych is more like Gilmore Girls than Star Trek.
And I consider Carter to be more like Psych than is Take Two.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I guess it I could watch the "Gilmore Girls" for its rapid fire dialogue, I could watch "Psych". I would recommend watching "Take Two" in however fashion you prefer. It's a fun show.

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

For the uninitiated: I'd say Psych is more like Gilmore Girls than Star Trek.
And I consider Carter to be more like Psych than is Take Two.

Psych is the bromance version of GG, with tons of scifi and other pop culture references. The Freddie Prinze Jr episode (Not Even Close... Encounters) is just an all-out valentine to the genre and it's one of my favorites. 

I think I'm going to give Take Two a couple of episodes over the holiday weekend and see how it goes. I'm currently finishing up a rewatch of Castle with my husband - not sure if that will hurt or help.  For us, Castle ends with S5. (I've seen them all but I only have the the first five on dvd so it's a good stopping point.)  

ETA: Psych is a "fake it 'til you make it" kind of show, which is (IMO) a subset of the "civilian who proves their worth in crime solving" genre. 

• Love 1

Original Airdate: 2018.08.30

“Stillwater” – Sam and Eddie travel to California’s wine country to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a wheelchair-bound woman. Hired by the woman’s son, the two quickly discover this is no ordinary missing person’s case when the son reveals that he witnessed her otherworldly abduction. Despite Sam’s enthusiasm for the bizarre story, both she and Eddie know there must be a more down-to-earth explanation for her disappearance. But when their investigation uncovers things even they can’t explain, they can’t help but wonder if the truth is out there, on “Take Two,” THURSDAY, AUG. 30 (9:00-10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

“Family Ties” – When Detective Christine Rollins receives a frantic phone call from her younger brother asking for help, she assumes he’s gotten himself into some kind of legal trouble again. But when he doesn’t show up to meet her, she fears the worst. Not knowing what her brother was caught up in and hoping to avoid LAPD involvement, she turns to Sam and Eddie to help track him down. But when surveillance video shows Tyler stealing a luxury car, Christine learns that her once-wayward younger brother is back to his old ways and may be tied to something even worse. Meanwhile, Sam is dealing with family drama of her own, on “Take Two,” THURSDAY, AUG. 30 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

• Love 1

Thanks for reminding me about Carter.  I watched the first episode and it's as cheesy as expected.  The dialog is terrible at times and the story can be amazingly silly, but gawl I loved it.  Jerry O'Connell is so great, the other cast very good.  It's definitely a Castle knockoff, but maybe more light-hearted, if that's possible?  I hate to say it, but I like it better than Take Two, mostly because O'Connell is such a great fit in his role.  And the caretakers -- what a great idea.

• Love 4

In "Stillwater," the first moment the perp turned around in his cafe booth, I knew he was the guy and it was about money.

Until the mom was able to walk again, I guessed the town was in on it, and they were hoping to raise money for her care by attracting paying UFO tourists. But those aren't usually big spenders. I wonder if the writers thought about that too.

Like "Silkwood," "Stillwater" is a compound word name, with the second word being a nature element, and the first letters of each being "S" and "w."

Um, how was the new doctor "fixing them"? If he's got a quick fix for nerve damage, give the guy a Nobel prize or at least a MacArthur Genius Grant.

I thought the mom and son might have been in on the plan—with or without the town—and was glad they weren't.

My favorite episode was the one about Sam's old sitcom costar, and I don't think any of the subsequent ones have matched that. But the show is still a nice fluffy summer diversion.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Um, how was the new doctor "fixing them"? If he's got a quick fix for nerve damage, give the guy a Nobel prize or at least a MacArthur Genius Grant.

As I understood it, they (the winery guy and his doctors) knew what made the people sick so they knew how to cure it. The cures seemed a little miraculous to me - if a woman is in a wheelchair for years, even if she is then cured, she's going to need some sort of therapy.  I could be wrong about it all though.  Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Trey said:

The cures seemed a little miraculous to me - if a woman is in a wheelchair for years, even if she is then cured, she's going to need some sort of therapy. 

I haven't seen the episode yet but yeah.  Her leg muscles would be atrophied and even if  she had been doing a lot of physio therapy to keep the muscles us, her brain is going to need to re=learn the signals to get her legs walking.

• Love 2

How is it that doctor isnt making gangbusters healing victims of poisoning and stuff? Guy has got some serious doctor skills! And yeah, I as soon as the guy at the diner showed up I figured he was in on it, but I thought that the Sheriff was involved and thats why he was trying to get rid of Sam and Eddie, or the whole town was cooking something up, so I was half right!

Happy to get more Rollins and her backstory in the next episode! I like her a lot, and I really appreciate that, despite her and Eddies friends with benefits relationship, there isnt any love triangle between them and Sam, and they seem perfectly happy to be good friends who just happen to have sex sometimes. Its refreshing to have her not portrayed as a jerk who of standing in the way of the inevitable Sam/Eddie, or at least of their partnership, and is a good person and generally good cop, when her family isnt involved. Like with the first episode, I figured the guy who had his car stolen was involved, but I didnt figure on him trying to bail his son out. I also liked the loanshark lady, she could be a good reoccurring villain. 

• Love 1

I liked the alien abduction story, but they had to do a lot of hand waving to make it work, like that the guy spent millions of dollars to do the hoax and he worked in advanced weapons research to get the light that knocked people out.

What is wrong with Eddie, vouching for that kid with the loan shark. That kid's father is a drug smuggler and should be put in jail. How will he ever pay back the loan now.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 8:56 PM, TWP said:

Thanks for reminding me about Carter.  I watched the first episode and it's as cheesy as expected.  The dialog is terrible at times and the story can be amazingly silly, but gawl I loved it.  Jerry O'Connell is so great, the other cast very good.  It's definitely a Castle knockoff, but maybe more light-hearted, if that's possible?  I hate to say it, but I like it better than Take Two, mostly because O'Connell is such a great fit in his role.  And the caretakers -- what a great idea.

I’ve been watching both, and like Carter better. Take Two is just a bit too forced har-har-so-much-awkward-sexuaaaallll-tension-oh-yeah-wink-wink compared to Carter, which is lighter in tone but still seems to have a bit more heart underneath it all. I really bought it in the final scene of the pilot, the three hanging together on the deck, that they had a deep friendship and past that bonded them together, despite not being in each other’s lives for a while. Having said that, I’m ok with Take Two and don’t expect that easy familiarity between the leads. Even if there is a bit too much dismissiveness towards Sam (while taking everything Not-A-Psychologist says as gold). 

I feel like TT is trying for gritty and deep, but misses the mark and just ends up cheesy (don’t get me wrong, I love my tv cheese) while Carter is openly cheesy but still has the right amount of heart to make you care about the characters. I’d like both to continue but would definitely be sad if Carter were canceled. TT, not so much. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I liked the alien abduction story, but they had to do a lot of hand waving to make it work, like that the guy spent millions of dollars to do the hoax and he worked in advanced weapons research to get the light that knocked people out.

What is wrong with Eddie, vouching for that kid with the loan shark. That kid's father is a drug smuggler and should be put in jail. How will he ever pay back the loan now.

Yes and yes. But, in spite of rewatching parts of "Family Ties," I could not figure out where the real crimes left off and the fake sting crimes began, which, for me, is a much more unforgivable crime against us viewers than the excessive hand waving required in "Stillwater." So, was Eddie just fake-vouching? I would expect in a fluffy show like this that if Eddie was just pretending to vouch for $250K worth of drugs to a torturing, murdering thug, that Eddie Cibrian (the actor, not Eddie the character) would telegraph to the audience that he was faking it—even though this kind of acting annoys me because if the viewers can tell he's lying, the thug should be able to tell too, but I can also accept that thugs are basically stupid in some essential areas, and at least then we audience members will know what's going on. But Eddie Cibrian is known more for his good looks than his acting prowess, so maybe he just couldn't pull off the slight breaking of the fourth wall? Or maybe he really did vouch, and in a later episode Sam will have to save his kneecaps? IDK.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

I’ve been watching both, and like Carter better. Take Two is just a bit too forced har-har-so-much-awkward-sexuaaaallll-tension-oh-yeah-wink-wink compared to Carter, which is lighter in tone but still seems to have a bit more heart underneath it all. I really bought it in the final scene of the pilot, the three hanging together on the deck, that they had a deep friendship and past that bonded them together, despite not being in each other’s lives for a while. Having said that, I’m ok with Take Two and don’t expect that easy familiarity between the leads. Even if there is a bit too much dismissiveness towards Sam (while taking everything Not-A-Psychologist says as gold). 

I feel like TT is trying for gritty and deep, but misses the mark and just ends up cheesy (don’t get me wrong, I love my tv cheese) while Carter is openly cheesy but still has the right amount of heart to make you care about the characters. I’d like both to continue but would definitely be sad if Carter were canceled. TT, not so much. 

ITA, so that's at least two of us. I wonder how many viewers we statistically represent? 

Love the screen name too, @dreadfulLeigh

The acting and writing are just much stronger, IMO, on Carter than Take Two.

• Love 2
On 8/31/2018 at 2:15 PM, tennisgurl said:

Happy to get more Rollins and her backstory in the next episode! I like her a lot, and I really appreciate that, despite her and Eddies friends with benefits relationship, there isnt any love triangle between them and Sam, and they seem perfectly happy to be good friends who just happen to have sex sometimes. Its refreshing to have her not portrayed as a jerk who of standing in the way of the inevitable Sam/Eddie, or at least of their partnership, and is a good person and generally good cop, when her family isnt involved.

I also appreciated the fact that Sam and Chris got an opportunity to talk about their sibling issues. I hope they interact more in the future and that we get a payoff re Sam's sister's coffee. It seems like there could be cases where knowing a reporter could help a private detective.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, shapeshifter said:

The acting and writing are just much stronger, IMO, on Carter than Take Two.

Me three.  I'm hoping Carter gets renewed in spite of the BTS corporate maneuvering.

I expected more of Andrew Marlowe and Terri Miller because I liked the early years of Castle so much but this show feels like it's being written by a committee who binged on Castle.

However I also think that Take Two is at a disadvantage because the flaky one is the female and not the male lead. I know they had to do it this way so as not to be mistaken for Castle but it's too much like all those years of flaky women on TV (I Love Lucy being the greatest example but also almost every female character in the mid-20th century including Macmillan and Wife).  I haven't washed the bad taste of that out of my mouth yet and for too many of Sam's lines it feels like they could have been said by a teen and it would work just the same .

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

However I also think that Take Two is at a disadvantage because the flaky one is the female and not the male lead. I know they had to do it this way so as not to be mistaken for Castle but it's too much like all those years of flaky women on TV (I Love Lucy being the greatest example but also almost every female character in the mid-20th century including Macmillan and Wife).  I haven't washed the bad taste of that out of my mouth yet and for too many of Sam's lines it feels like they could have been said by a teen and it would work just the same .

They could compensate for this by integrating Rollins into the storylines more. From what we have seen she is smart and not easily fooled. The fact that the series is called Take Two doesn't mean that characters can only work in pairs.

I've been enjoying the competence of Sydney Poitier's character (confusingly also called Sam) in Carter -- she's the cop and a childhood friend of Jerry O'Connell who is the actor-solving-crime in that scenario.

• Love 1

Hi All,

I keep hearing all of these comparisons of "Take Two", "Castle" & "Carter".  I've seen practically the entire series of Castle but I'm new to Carter. I've looked it up and it appears to aired on CTV.  I've checked CTV's web site and their list only shows S1, Ep 6.  Does anyone know of a legal streaming service that has the earlier episodes?

4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

They could compensate for this by integrating Rollins into the storylines more. From what we have seen she is smart and not easily fooled.

In the last episode, "Family Ties," they kind of dialed back her smarts, at least WRT her brother.

4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I've been enjoying the competence of Sydney Poitier's character (confusingly also called Sam) in Carter

I know. And is the lady cop on this show really named "Rollins?" Like on L&O SVU?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

But it's Chris Rollins. Completely different from Amanda Rollins.

5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

They could compensate for this by integrating Rollins into the storylines more.

They need to be wary of that because they don't want the character to compete with Sam, who is also smart although much more trusting. Sam is the star of the show.

5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I've been enjoying the competence of Sydney Poitier's character (confusingly also called Sam) in Carter

I'm impressed by how effortless her acting seems to be.  She can convey frustration and affection at the same time and neither seem over the top.  I wonder why I've never seen her on TV before.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Hi All,

I keep hearing all of these comparisons of "Take Two", "Castle" & "Carter".  I've seen practically the entire series of Castle but I'm new to Carter. I've looked it up and it appears to aired on CTV.  I've checked CTV's web site and their list only shows S1, Ep 6.  Does anyone know of a legal streaming service that has the earlier episodes?

It's running on WGN which my cable system doesn't have. It's listed in the Play Store but says unavailable and doesn't come up at all in iTunes. 

http://www.wgnamerica.com/series/carter/carter 

I like this show for summer, but I loathe Sam's assistant Monica. Obviously, the show wanted/needed another character in the office to play off of Berto, but this chick is just way too much! Her clothes and make up are distracting...and tacky and her voice is annoying. But what really bothers me is that she's a twenty-something psych student who never goes to class and spends all her time at the PI office, and yet she knows everything about everything!

I liked the UFO ep better than the car thieving brother one.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

I loathe Sam's assistant Monica. Obviously, the show wanted/needed another character in the office to play off of Berto, but this chick is just way too much! Her clothes and make up are distracting...and tacky and her voice is annoying. But what really bothers me is that she's a twenty-something psych student who never goes to class and spends all her time at the PI office, and yet she knows everything about everything!

Monica's clothes and makeup are the best part of her for me, LOL, but then I still love The Nanny for her wardrobe. 
And, since, for the last 17 years I have taught beginning Psyc students how to use the PsycINFO database to do research, I just assume she's at that know-it-all stage of undergraduate study where her advice would only be dangerous if she was giving it to a person with mental health problems. I don't think we're supposed to take her ideas too seriously, are we? (I hope not)

• Love 1
On 8/31/2018 at 2:15 PM, tennisgurl said:

Happy to get more Rollins and her backstory in the next episode! I like her a lot, and I really appreciate that, despite her and Eddies friends with benefits relationship, there isnt any love triangle between them and Sam, and they seem perfectly happy to be good friends who just happen to have sex sometimes. Its refreshing to have her not portrayed as a jerk who of standing in the way of the inevitable Sam/Eddie, or at least of their partnership, and is a good person and generally good cop, when her family isnt involved. Like with the first episode, I figured the guy who had his car stolen was involved, but I didnt figure on him trying to bail his son out. I also liked the loanshark lady, she could be a good reoccurring villain. 

Technically, there would only be a triangle if there was a realtionship of some kind between Sam & Rollins. Triangles are a closed entity. If Rollins wanted more from Eddie it would only be two women wanting one man. Not a triangle.

But I'm happy to see Rollins as a good cop and a decent person too. I don't really enjoy excessive angst.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2018 at 8:44 PM, shapeshifter said:

And, since, for the last 17 years I have taught beginning Psyc students how to use the PsycINFO database to do research, I just assume she's at that know-it-all stage of undergraduate study where her advice would only be dangerous if she was giving it to a person with mental health problems. I don't think we're supposed to take her ideas too seriously, are we? (I hope not)

I don't question that she knows psychology, I get angry because she spouts fake psychology.  "We're supposed to think about what you were like as a child" is an ethics violation as was getting the info from the psych prof at the group home. The test she was giving Seamus Deaver's character sounded like it had no validity (it takes a lot of testing to get one of those things right).  Just about everything she says about psychology is fake.

It's not hard to use PsycINFO or even Google.  Find an intern to check the information before you put the words out there.

• Love 1

“It Takes A Thief” – Sam’s friend implores Sam and Eddie to track down and recover a $50 million painting that was stolen from his auction house. If he can’t get it back before the upcoming auction, his personal and professional reputation will be ruined. With the clock ticking, Sam and Eddie manage to identify a suspect who they believe was hired to steal the painting by a wealthy, corrupt businessman. With no hard evidence against them and time running out, Sam and Eddie devise a bold plan to get the painting back. Meanwhile, Sam’s return to the dating scene tests her relationship with Eddie, leading to a surprising realization for both of them, on “Take Two,” THURSDAY, SEPT. 6 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Will they start a romance? Just playing devil’s advocate-the look they gave each other after the kiss could be interpreted as, “that was like kissing my brother/sister. There’s no ‘there there’.”

The way they were acting the last few scenes BEFORE the kiss was as if they had lost their best friend.    The scenes just weren’t played right to me. 

I actually like this show. More for the office sidekicks than the leads. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

The kiss didnt really spark much for me, it still read very brother/sister to me. And its kind of weird that they were kissing right in front of their respective dates. Kind of rude, even if they were only on date one or two. And Melissa the art thief would probably have asked to join later!

I did like the episode, and Melissa the at thief was fun to hang out with, and if the show keeps going she would be a fun reoccurring character. I do hope that maybe the show can come back next summer, its a fun show for the light summer months. 

• Love 3

They do have a lot of good "bad" characters, they have that super powerful "?DA?" guy in prison, the super rich military contractor serial killer and now the art loving super rich real estate developer. If they were all to get to together, that would be a very evil bunch. Sam and Eddie would have to form there own team of super heroes to combat them like super flexible catburgler lady, guy who can make any kind to electronic device, Zeus with has spy craft, Berto the super hacker, Monica criminal profiler extraordinaire, Christine Rollins super cop and her brother "car jacker".

Zeus is my favourite character on this show.  The snark is superb.

Nice to see Sara Canning again  It looked like she had a blast playing the art thief.  I missed how she got teamed up with our heroes, and wow, the FBI acted fast.

Why did the villain steal the painting instead of buying it at auction?  Monica:  "Based on my extensive study of psychology, I'd say that he's cheap."   My daughter: "He's a sociopath who thinks the world owes him and it's a greater thrill to steal it than to buy it."  One of these two people studies psychology in university.

In terms of the last scene as they ditched their respective great dates, the write-up for next week's show

Spoiler
Spoiler

Still wrestling with the emotional reverberations of sleeping together, Sam and Eddie take a case involving a serial con man who victimizes wealthy women. In order to recover their client's money and jewelry without scaring off their suspect, the pair hatch a plan to con the con man using Sam as bait. But their plan goes awry when they discover they're not the only ones after the con man and they may be stepping into a trap themselves. As events unfold, Sam's future and Eddie's past collide to test their professional and personal relationship that could change everything.

• Love 4

I mean I realize she helped them but she is still a criminal I didn’t really buy that Eddie would date her, it didn’t help matters that I didn’t see any chemistry with them that would cause him to look over that fact. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Will they start a romance? Just playing devil’s advocate-the look they gave each other after the kiss could be interpreted as, “that was like kissing my brother/sister. There’s no ‘there there’.”

That was actually how I interpreted their look, like they were not into it at all. I expected some humorous line saying that, but since we got no dialogue I think we were supposed to see it as great chemistry.

5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:
6 hours ago, lora said:

Am I the only one who like Zeus? I am happy he is a recurring character.

No! I love him. I wish he were a regular.

If he had been a regular since the beginning, maybe this would've been more than a one-season (likely) summer show.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If he had been a regular since the beginning, maybe this would've been more than a one-season (likely) summer show.

I agree, he really added to the show.

• Love 3

Yes, nice seeing the very beautiful Sara Canning again since she last appeared on The Vampire Diaries.  As far as Sam and Eddie's early hook-up, the show runners had said there will be a hook-up sooner rather than later. They looked good together. Is Eddie Cibrian looking gaunt lately? He looks like he lost some weight.

While I really enjoy this series, the contrivance of the detective work is getting ridiculous.  The FBI consultant who gave Sam some names and MO's of possible suspects might as well have driven them to Melissa's house, the information was so leading. Sam's date was so perfectly choice,  I thought Berto was f'ing with Eddie when he was describing Troy over the phone to Eddie, even texting him a picture. 

As for Melissa and Eddie, I wonder how the show slipped that little sexual gesture past the network.   When Eddie visited Melissa's by himself. If you look real close, when she approached Eddie, he gave a little gasp and sigh.  Melissa had closed up to Eddie and gently placed her knee under his crotch, gently nudging his family jewels. Watch as they separate and see Eddie remove his crotch from above Melissa's knee. Sneaky show.

The show was going for the special moment when two characters realize they have a thing or each other. The need for Sam to tease her new dating status in Eddie's face. Following him around while talking on the phone with Troy. When Eddie busted her, she hung up quickly with Troy. That special moment when they saw each other in formal wear. That slow dance at the end leading to the kiss. The fact that their new dates were present made the kiss even more special because they spent so much effort to hide what was happening between them, the kiss while others were looking made their desire for each other more obvious.

Glad Monica is back after her brief absence during Christine's episode.

• Love 2
On 9/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, Jacks-Son said:

The fact that their new dates were present made the kiss even more special because they spent so much effort to hide what was happening between them, the kiss while others were looking made their desire for each other more obvious.

I thought the fact that their new dates were present made the kiss kinda of tacky and gross. I felt so bad for the dates, seeing the person they thought they had a date with go off with someone else without even saying a word.

• Love 1

Melissa propositioned THEM for a "group hug", I wouldn't worry how it made her feel. Troy is a cancer–curing Olympic athlete/doctor who was probably on The Bachelor as a contestant.  I'm sure he'll get over a girl that he had just met, kissing a guy she likes. Sure, it was probably tacky and gross to some of us, but to others, I'm sure they don't think about who they're kissing in front of. Melissa is a thief, her morals are already suspect. I'm sure if Sam really wanted the doctor, she would have been in the car.

Edited by Jacks-Son