Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Crisis on Earth-X (1)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And yet, I find myself huffing and puffing that Rosenbaum and/or Welling haven't been lured to make an appearance? (tapping foot with arms crossed).

Welling is currently stinking up the joint with his wooden acting and improbably model-esque looks/fashion choices as a police lieutenant on Lucifer. I would gladly trade him to one of the campier CW shows in return for Mackenzie Gray, who actually turns in interesting performances in his antagonist roles.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
On 11/28/2017 at 0:05 PM, Sakura12 said:

Where were Sara and Alex sleeping? I assumed they were at Sara's mom's house, she lives in Central city and probably has a room for Sara. 

Or were they at Stein's house? How nice he gave his boss a bed or they claimed it because they left rehearsal dinner earlier. 

It looked like there was a fire escape chart on the door, so I took it to be a hotel room, but I guess some residences might also have those on the door? Or someone like Stein might anyway.  

• Love 3

In terms of the crossovers, this was definitely a more cohesive and better plotted first episode. I was confused by things like "where's Ray and Diggle?" and "why does an episode of Supergirl start everywhere else but in Supergirl's reality and only have two characters from Supergirl?"

But this setup will work a lot better for a crossover.

My big issue with these crossovers is that I often feel like really important relationships are ignored in favour of newer, shinier ones. So, Felicity and Barry didn't even talk to each other as far as I could see. Sara and Oliver didn't share a scene.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, statsgirl said:

I would have hated it on The Flash too Way to make your son and daughter's wedding all about you, Joe.  I know they love the actor but Joe is not someone I'd respect in real life.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, tennisgurl said:

"I stand here today, a lucky man. I get to see what every father dreams of seeing...my son marrying my daughter!"-Joe West, basically. 

Joe is the fucking worst. I could make some overarching meta comment about the franchise and its obsession with fathers and treatment of female characters but this would become an essay. The incest overtones in the Flash are just the icing on the cake.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The Stein/Caitlin scene that I have been missing and didn't know it.  So many of the things I've been missing on the other shows.  I'm sorry for Supergirl fans who don't watch the other shows but

I really liked Sara and Alex hooking up.  I'd be on board for the show continuing that.  Also when I saw Sara's hand with four rings I thought "Must be a Lance thing."

I really enjoyed the crossover this year, more than I have any crossover since the first one three years ago with just Arrow/Flash.  This time they went for a cohesive storyline rather than trying to cobble things from each show.  Last season it was so boring (especially the Arrow part) so I'm all Yay for this one.

Maybe there will be more of Supergirl next season, although there was General Winn in the fourth part.  I'm fine with this though because this made me realize that the Supergirl characters are the ones I care about the least, and the ones I find the least interesting in terms of storylines, maybe because the characters seem so artificial.  Kara and Alex here, and especially the Alex/Sara hook-up is the most I've enjoyed a Supergirl episode this past two seasons.

They were only supposed to do recon prior to attacking and invading Earth 1 but EvilOliver jumped at the chance.  TheobaldFlash scolded him for it.

I'd like to add that if there are any "Supergirl only" fans, the other three shows (Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow) all stream on Netflix. If you like Supergirl, you will love the rest of the shows from the World of Berlanti.

Not sure what portmanteau is the best choice/most popular for using to include all four show names. I personally feel that "Arrowverse" is too restrictive (when discussing all four shows) even though it's my favorite show of the group.

• Love 4
On 11/27/2017 at 11:59 PM, tennisgurl said:

"I stand here today, a lucky man. I get to see what every father dreams of seeing...my son marrying my daughter!"-Joe West, basically. 

"Guys, I'm really bummed that the dude who has the same last name as my cousin is married to someone else." -Kara, basically.

"I'd better ask Felicity to marry me before I somehow end up dating Thea." -Oliver, probably.

• Love 8
On 11/27/2017 at 8:22 PM, Lantern7 said:

But the reason I wanted Saralex was because they have a lot in common. Alex watches over Kara, Sara is in charge of time-traveling misfits. Alex can kick ass, Sara kicks ass and is kickass. Alex is still recovering from her breakup with Maggie, Sara probably doesn't go beyond kissing and flirting, and nobody on the Waverider appeals to her to that extent. I'm okay with Saralex, even if we wound up with Alex mortified over her first one-night-stand.

I have to admit, I got rather verklempt at seeing Sara and Alex teaming up and kicking ass side-by-side.  And I really wouldn't have a problem with Saralex, but I think the main problem (aside from the fact that they live in different universes and that Sara is pretty much married to her job as the captain of the Waverider) is that their personalities are a little too similar. While they definitely have chemistry (I'd have been shocked if they hadn't ended up sleeping together at some point!), I think their similar personalities and temperaments might make things more difficult in the long run.  Besides, I think both of them know deep down that neither is really ready for a steady relationship at this point in their lives (Alex is still mourning her breakup with Maggie, and Sara, as I mentioned, is pretty much married to the Waverider, and I can't see Alex leaving Kara behind to board the Waverider as a Legend -- not yet, anyway).

• Love 3

My head is still spinning after watching all four episodes. 

I watch Supergirl regularly but not the other shows. I didn't realize there were so many characters on those other shows. I was googling the names of the characters on my phone while trying to watch the action on the tv at the same time. 

I loved the lesbian action between Alex and Sara. Didn't know there were other lesbian superheroes in the DC universe. 

It was funny Supergirl's reaction when she found out that her doppelganger and evil Arrow were husband and wife. 

Edited by spritz
spelling
  • Love 1

My thoughts on the cross-overs in general. Instead of switching through shows some people may not watch in order to find out what happens next, maybe Berlanti and Co could decide to simply make a separate TV movie...

• Love 3

I began watching Flash because I watched Supergirl.  The Flash showed up in one episode in Season 1 and I thought Grant Gustin was adorable.  Because of that reason, I decided to watch The Flash, and now I'm a regular viewer.  While this is only my particular case, I would say if the CW wants to get more people to watch their comic hero shows, it's probably better to do smaller crossovers where you aren't throwing in so many characters that it confuses people who only watch one show.   

• Love 1

This didn't get brought up in the Crossover, but Supergirl X being a Nazi is especially disturbing. Oliver would have been born into it and conditioned his entire life. Kara, on the other hand, would have arrived on Earth as a teenager and been the most powerful person on the planet shortly after, that another version of her could go all in on Nazi ideology in that situation is especially frightening.

Hopefully this is the sort of thing that will snap her out of seeing her 'human heart' as a weakness.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

This didn't get brought up in the Crossover, but Supergirl X being a Nazi is especially disturbing. Oliver would have been born into it and conditioned his entire life. Kara, on the other hand, would have arrived on Earth as a teenager and been the most powerful person on the planet shortly after, that another version of her could go all in on Nazi ideology in that situation is especially frightening.

Overgirl explained why she threw her lot in with the Nazis from the get-go.  She was an Aryan wet dream: Blonde, blue-eyed, and possessed of powers far beyond those of "inferior" races.  She became their poster child, and they treated her like a goddess and encouraged her to develop and use her powers in the service of the Nazi State, unlike our Kara, who was forced from the time she arrived on Earth to hide her powers, her true identity, and even the fact of her existence on Earth and would never even have become Supergirl if the plane Alex had been on hadn't been about to crash.  And if you recall, even after Alex was saved, she reamed Kara out for revealing her existence and her powers to the world.

So naturally, when Overgirl was actually encouraged by the Nazis to use her powers and was even treated like a goddess for doing so, she'd buy what they were selling.  She even said that she considered herself blessed to have landed on Erde-X in the heart of the Fatherland.  Why wouldn't she think that, given what the Nazis offered her?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Overgirl explained why she threw her lot in with the Nazis from the get-go.  She was an Aryan wet dream: Blonde, blue-eyed, and possessed of powers far beyond those of "inferior" races.  She became their poster child, and they treated her like a goddess and encouraged her to develop and use her powers in the service of the Nazi State, unlike our Kara, who was forced from the time she arrived on Earth to hide her powers, her true identity, and even the fact of her existence on Earth and would never even have become Supergirl if the plane Alex had been on hadn't been about to crash.  And if you recall, even after Alex was saved, she reamed Kara out for revealing her existence and her powers to the world.

So naturally, when Overgirl was actually encouraged by the Nazis to use her powers and was even treated like a goddess for doing so, she'd buy what they were selling.  She even said that she considered herself blessed to have landed on Erde-X.  Why wouldn't she think that, given what the Nazis offered her?

Unless Kryptonian culture and the House of El specifically was significantly more screwed up than what we've been shown so far, she should have had a moral base to recognize that the things that they were selling her were really screwed up.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

Unless Kryptonian culture and the House of El specifically was significantly more screwed up than what we've been shown so far, she should have had a moral base to recognize that the things that they were selling her were really screwed up.

And who's to say that Krypton-X wasn't itself a more warlike planet than Krypton-38 was?  Perhaps Krypton-X and Daxam-X had reversed cultures, with Daxam-X being the pacifistic scientists and Krypton-X being the belligerent "low-brow" hedonists.

• Love 5

Another possibility is that Kara and Kal-El's situations could have been reversed. Maybe Kara was sent to Earth X as an infant and Kal was the teenager sent to protect her. Only his pod got knocked off course, and by the time he arrived Kara had already grown up and become Overgirl.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

It would have been very cool to find out TH's Superman was hiding away on Earth-X, terrified the Nazis would use him if he revealed his powers.

When they were talking about how she had too much solar energy in her cells and was going to explode, I thought that they were going to reveal that he'd been Overman on Earth X, but then had gone "soft" and rebelled, and Overgirl had supercharged herself with solar energy or something to kill him. Which would have explained why she was sick and how she'd been indoctrinated into the Nazi cause when she first arrived.

• Love 3
On 12/1/2017 at 8:29 PM, Perfect Xero said:

Hopefully this is the sort of thing that will snap her out of seeing her 'human heart' as a weakness.

There's no reason to assume that she left Krypton as a teen. I assume her Krypton exploded when she was a baby so she was raised completely on her earth.

• Love 3

I wonder how much they're going to bring up what all happened during the crossover in tonight's episode, or if we`ll just get a quick recap? 

Winn: "How was the wedding in Earth 1?"

Kara: "It was really great, until these stupid Nazis from another universe showed up and tried to takeover their world, and then there was an evil version of me, and she had a heart problem and needed to steal my heart, and Alex hooked up with this hot time traveler...

Alex: "Kara!"

Kara: "And then we had to all fight the stupid Nazis and then some of us got stuck on Nazi Earth...

Alex: "There was a version of you there who was a total hard ass general with some serious facial hair"

Kara: "Then everyone got back and we had to kick the crap out of the Nazis and Professor Stein died and it was super sad but we still beat the Nazis and Alex had a great rebound fling so it wasn't all bad." 

Winn: "... so how much facial hair did I have?" 

• Love 11
On 11/28/2017 at 9:44 PM, HeroLeague said:

Melissa is an amazing actress, so versatile,loving her Overgirl.

I am no Supergirl watcher, but I have to admit, her Overgirl was very different from Supergirl.  She seemed like she had been someone who had been indoctrinated.  I think she sold her Erde-X character much, much better than Stephen Amell did his.

• Love 5

Ok, I’m out. I tried to stick with Supergirl but it is too much of a soap opera about relationships and silliness. 45 minutes of that before anything interesting happened. It felt like one of those shows I never watched, like Dawson’s Creek. It’s off my DVR. I wonder if Flash and Arrow are next.