Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Uncharted

Athena
  • Start Topic

The first half hour really dragged for me, I wish they had cut it a bit. Plus ants and a snake? Ewwww! But the second half was really good. I loved Jamie giving Fergus his name and the looks full of emotion the two exchanged, that made me tear up and was my favourite scene of the whole episode. I also loved the beach reunion and the turtle soup scene. It was so nice to finally have an episode ending with Jamie and Claire being happy and having sex and not being in danger and/or apart. The conversation between Claire and Marsali about having sex without getting pregnant was also good.

Now hopefully we will see Lord John already in next week's episode, I cannot wait.

7 hours ago, koboldin said:

And then the later comment by Jamie that they had to wait for the pitch to harden, after the earlier scene said they were ready to set sail but were just waiting for dark for ease of sail...bad job editing. 

They were always waiting for dark and cooler temperatures for the tar to harden - that was consistent. The new guy in charge of the actual sailing said that before Jamie noticed Claire's mirror. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Twelfth Night is a Shakespeare "comedy" that starts off with a shipwreck where two people -- who don't even know if the other is alive -- are trying to find the other while grappling with "insanity" on the place they've landed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=twelfth+night+short+synopsis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

For those not familiar, it's a brother and sister, twins who look so much alike the sister decides to pass herself off as her brother (cuz, you know, rapey), while the (presumed dead) brother is nearby.  Lots of mistaken identity.  Hilarity ensues.  (It is pretty funny.)

Ok, so if there was a massive storm that broke the sail and killed much of the Artemis crew, how did it miss Claire?  The fact the broken ship was near the same island didn't bother me since ships traveled in established shipping lanes.  It would have been following the same route as the Porpoise, and when damaged would drift to the same area Claire was in.

Loved wedding scene since my own daughter's wedding was on a beach a few weeks ago.  No goats, but the venue did have an 8 ft boa that was lovely.  My FB pic is me with the boa draped across my shoulders.  (It was really heavy.)

• Love 4
8 hours ago, MedievalGirl said:

The thing about burning the bum roll was wondering if she actually had wool or cotton batting in it or had she used polyester. :D

Great minds think alike!  I used to sew a lot in high school (in the late 1970s) and the filler I used was pure polyester.  When the fire caught with that "whoosh" I assumed Claire had poly filling in her bum roll.  I complained earlier about her burning the whole thing, thinking she should save some for later fires, but if it's polyester it's probably best to get those anachronistic items off her person sooner rather than later.  I'm still worried that zipper is going to get her in trouble.

50 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Ok, so if there was a massive storm that broke the sail and killed much of the Artemis crew, how did it miss Claire? 

True dat.  In the book she has to ride out that same storm, fleeing the high storm surge by clinging to the branches of a mangrove tree.  But in the show, nothing.  Sigh.  Time to hand-wave some more.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

True dat.  In the book she has to ride out that same storm, fleeing the high storm surge by clinging to the branches of a mangrove tree.  But in the show, nothing.  Sigh.  Time to hand-wave some more.

When you're writing a book, anything is possible.  Filming said book tends to be another story.  It would have been a large budget to film that storm for Claire and for Jamie.  It's not such a huge plot point.  I'm personally willing to let it go.

The fires of the future: they will have to film those and they will be expensive.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Ok, so if there was a massive storm that broke the sail and killed much of the Artemis crew, how did it miss Claire?  The fact the broken ship was near the same island didn't bother me since ships traveled in established shipping lanes.  It would have been following the same route as the Porpoise, and when damaged would drift to the same area Claire was in.

I have a few alternative theories, any one of which I'm willing to go with to handwave not seeing the storm.  First of all, it could have been an isolated storm that stayed in the ocean and missed the island.  Or, similarly, it could have hit the island but just the other side of it.  But I think my prevailing theory is that Jamie and the crew had clearly been on that beach already for days - they anchored, made a decent camp, hauled all the broken pieces and repair pieces to the beach, and were nearly finished with the extensive repairs.  Didn't one of them even say that they could have already been underway if they worked as hard as they gabbed?  Claire was unconscious for a while as well, and since the story was told from her point of view, we have no idea what happened while she was sleeping.  The storm could have happened then.  Just some thoughts.

• Love 2

I confess that I fast forwarded through Claire's jungle trek, but I also confess that I skimmed through a part of this section of the book when first reading Voyager.  I got anxious and wanted to get to the Claire and Jamie reunion.  I actually found the show version of the reunion more satisfying than the book version, if I remember the book version right (I'm going to go back and look again).  I loved the reunion, wedding, and turtle soup scenes just like everyone else.  The turtle soup scene was one of my favorites from the book.  It was fun to see Jamie and Claire together and light hearted again.  I also liked their conversation on the beach, which was necessary due to the uncertainty they set up on the show versus the book with regard to Claire's certainty in wanting to be with Jamie as he was, 20 years later.  And I liked how loving and cuddly they were with each other at the wedding. 

• Love 1

Voyager is my second favorite book and through the first half of the season, I was anxiously waiting to get to this section. After being kind of "meh" about most of the season, I'm over the moon with the last few episodes!!! Some of Voyager's crazy exuberance and hilarity is finally making it into the show and I'm loving it. I doubted the turtle soup scene would even make it into the show at all because it doesn't further the plot and it's one of my absolute favorites. I was afraid it would end up going the same way as Jamie & wee Ian's thrashing scene. But here it is and it was brilliant!!! Along with the wedding and crazy Father Fog (Coco is hilarious). So I didn't bawl my eyes out the way I did when Jamie gave Fergus his name in the book, but it was still a powerful scene and was a nice counterpoint to the wedding absurdity. I also loved the way they handled Claire's injury (because we really didn't need pirates thrown into the mix).

I am really excited about the casting of the secondary roles this season, with the actress who plays Marsali at the top of the list. I think she will handle the ups and downs of Marsali's life at the Ridge brilliantly. I also enjoyed the actors playing Father Fog (is that his name?) Mamacita, and the first mate with the black hair who has the scene w/ Jamie on the beach. I love Willoughby every time I see him. I always saw the dignity of the character in the book and knew that if they could find an actor that could bring that sense of dignity to the role, then everyone else would see it too: and they have found such an actor. 

Now I guess it's on to the Gov.'s ball and Lord John and wee Ian's rescue. At least we don't have to deal w/ Claire being blindsided by news of Willie or being jealous of LJ, because NO. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chocolatetruffle said:

I am really excited about the casting of the secondary roles this season, with the actress who plays Marsali at the top of the list. I think she will handle the ups and downs of Marsali's life at the Ridge brilliantly. I also enjoyed the actors playing Father Fog (is that his name?)

And I'm quite the opposite. I don't give any figgedity fooks about the secondary roles except for Fergus. And he follows right after Jamie and Claire. Those two and their story, is the only thing I care aboot. And it's Fogden.

I think I mentioned it here, or maybe one of the other threads, no, I think it was up thread, that I am enjoying this season immensely because a lot of the focus is on Jamie, ergo, I get to see Sam do an excellent job, from the beginning as he's wishing himself dead after the massacre at Culloden, to how he's changed over the years.

Now I guess it's on to the Gov.'s ball and Lord John and wee Ian's rescue. At least we don't have to deal w/ Claire being blindsided by news of Willie or being jealous of LJ, because NO. 

Well, the Willie part we don't have to worry aboot. But being jealous of Lord John? They may put that in there. Then again, they may not. Because this season thus far, they haven't managed to translate the big moments to screen successfully. Matt Roberts or whoever is in charge of hiring the writers, if Ron Moore has delegated that task, needs to rehire or lure the old writers back. And Toni Graphia can just keep her mouth shut. She's a big part of why Claire has been out of character. Because she thinks or feels that x or y should be an issue, when it wasn't an issue for Buik!Claire.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Twelfth Night is a Shakespeare "comedy" that starts off with a shipwreck where two people -- who don't even know if the other is alive -- are trying to find the other while grappling with "insanity" on the place they've landed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=twelfth+night+short+synopsis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Thanks, I didn’t make the connection and I don’t see the weirdness since the circumstances are not the same.

7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, the Willie part we don't have to worry aboot. But being jealous of Lord John? They may put that in there. Then again, they may not. Because this season thus far, they haven't managed to translate the big moments to screen successfully. ...

I could see Claire still getting upset/jealous because Jamie hasn't told her the *whole* story.  She doesn't know about Lord John or their friendship, that he's raising Willie, he was the warden, he has a crush on Jamie, etc.  (Jamie did tell her that John is raising Willie in the script, but it didn't make it into the show...)  So Claire being Claire, of course she'll get pissed.  

13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I'm quite the opposite. I don't give any figgedity fooks about the secondary roles except for Fergus. And he follows right after Jamie and Claire. Those two and their story, is the only thing I care aboot. And it's Fogden.

I think I mentioned it here, or maybe one of the other threads, no, I think it was up thread, that I am enjoying this season immensely because a lot of the focus is on Jamie, ergo, I get to see Sam do an excellent job, from the beginning as he's wishing himself dead after the massacre at Culloden, to how he's changed over the years.

Well, the Willie part we don't have to worry aboot. But being jealous of Lord John? They may put that in there. Then again, they may not. Because this season thus far, they haven't managed to translate the big moments to screen successfully. Matt Roberts or whoever is in charge of hiring the writers, if Ron Moore has delegated that task, needs to rehire or lure the old writers back. And Toni Graphia can just keep her mouth shut. She's a big part of why Claire has been out of character. Because she thinks or feels that x or y should be an issue, when it wasn't an issue for Buik!Claire.

? I love this comment. And I totally agree with the second bold part.

4 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I could see Claire still getting upset/jealous because Jamie hasn't told her the *whole* story.  She doesn't know about Lord John or their friendship, that he's raising Willie, he was the warden, he has a crush on Jamie, etc.  (Jamie did tell her that John is raising Willie in the script, but it didn't make it into the show...)  So Claire being Claire, of course she'll get pissed.  

I’m sick of pissy Claire. My advice is to (insert Frozen tune) Let. It. Go. The heroine of this story has worn out her welcome. ?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Were the scripts written before edits were made though? These scripts might assume that line wasn't cut?

1 minute ago, AheadofStraight said:

Were the scripts written before edits were made though? These scripts might assume that line wasn't cut?

That's a good question - I have no idea.  It was the "final" script for that episode, I think, so maybe future scripts are based on it.  

All I kept thinking through the first 27 minutes was, "This is why montages were invented..." *sigh*

Yeah, I was definitely less than thrilled with Survivor: Claire Island, although the scene where she wakes up with ants covering her legs made me yell out loud.

I'm kind of torn about this episode, because on the one hand, I complained last week about the repetitive nature of this story, and I'm sick of "Jamie and Claire are once again torn apart." So I was happy to see them reunited - I feared they would remain separated for the rest of the season or longer. On the other hand, it's rather an absurd coincidence they managed to be on the same island. 

As for the oft-mention Turtle Soup Scene - I personally don't care one way or another about the bodice-ripping sex scenes because that's not what I'm here for. I'm fine with them, but I spent the whole time worried they were going to smash that vial of penicillin. There's got to be a few more doses left and it's been more than handy. Put that stuff safely away before you start thrashing around!

I missed something in the scene where Father Fogden was explaining how he wound up on that island. He started out on Cuba, met his wife there, she eventually died . . . how did they wind up in Santo Domingo (that's where they were, right?)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I missed something in the scene where Father Fogden was explaining how he wound up on that island. He started out on Cuba, met his wife there, she eventually died . . . how did they wind up in Santo Domingo (that's where they were, right?)

I think, (and someone can correct/clarify as I wasn't really paying attention) that since he was a priest, he and his wife "fell in love" and because that was a sin/not allowed, escaped to the island where Claire was. But she died.

7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

She was married and he was a priest, so they ran away to Santo Domingo to be together, and luckily for them, the British invaded Cuba the day they left, so they were able to escape and not be followed.

49 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I loved Father Fogden.  Hee hee!  The effective casting of these secondary roles adds so much to the show for me.  I know this is Claire's story (and I'm pretty sure the 20th century was looking pretty good to her when she had to jump ship) and Jamie's story, but the people around them add so much to that.  Just my opinion, but these characters make the show for me.  

• Love 3

Thanks, I didn’t make the connection and I don’t see the weirdness since the circumstances are not the same.

It was weird *for me* because I had just spent the previous evening watching a play where the main heroine was washed up on a "deserted" island. That's all. 

As for the other topic, I love the supporting characters. I'm "on this journey" not just for Jamie and Claire but for the communities and peoples they come across, fight against, and live amongst.

• Love 3
On 11/26/2017 at 0:39 PM, toolazy said:

So I'm the only one who hated the coconut?  

Nope.  And I really hated gaining the coconut and losing the hurricane and later the pirates (that caused the deep cut that led to the infection and turtle soup in the book).

• Love 1

I've just had to realize that the books and tv show are two different things altogether. I've been disappointed so many times this season at changed or eliminated scenes and characters. But they can't fit everything in to the show, but I would have made some different choices in what to eliminate or change. 

That being said, I'm enjoying the show for itself. However contrary to so many folks here, I find Fergus ridiculous. He's supposed to be very handsome and he looks goofy to me. Not a sexy dude at all!

I agree that the penicillin vials were in danger on that table! I think Jamie and Claire have been rather careless in their treatment of 20th century items. The corset zipper, vials of penicillin with the syringes, and Jamie looking at his pictures with the entrance to the jail at his back. I'd have the door to the jail in my sight before I puled the photos out to avoid any surprises.

Drunk and horny Claire might be my favorite Claire of all. She looked so pretty and she was funny!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, WatchrTina said:
21 hours ago, MedievalGirl said:

The thing about burning the bum roll was wondering if she actually had wool or cotton batting in it or had she used polyester. :D

Great minds think alike!  I used to sew a lot in high school (in the late 1970s) and the filler I used was pure polyester.  When the fire caught with that "whoosh" I assumed Claire had poly filling in her bum roll.  I complained earlier about her burning the whole thing, thinking she should save some for later fires, but if it's polyester it's probably best to get those anachronistic items off her person sooner rather than later.

I tweeted to Terry and she responded!

I asked:  "@OutlanderCostum Was the filling in the bum roll polyester (like I used back in the 1970s)? Or did Claire think ahead and find cotton batting to avoid the anachronism? Given the zipper, I'm thinking she just used polyester (much easier to find.)"

She replied:  "Claire in the story onscreen, used an old pillow. We used the lightest weight poly we could find."

Although now that I think about she didn't really answer the question. Was Claire's pillow poly-filled?  Hmmmmm. It must have been or we would have seen feathers. Polyester it is!

Now what other minutiae can I obsess over?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, jzygayle said:

Nope.  And I really hated gaining the coconut and losing the hurricane and later the pirates (that caused the deep cut that led to the infection and turtle soup in the book).

Meh, I didn't miss the pirates or the storm.  Honestly, I was impressed at how easily they managed to completely get rid of that whole unnecessary pirate attack yet they managed to keep the infection and the turtle soup. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, toolazy said:

Meh, I didn't miss the pirates or the storm.  Honestly, I was impressed at how easily they managed to completely get rid of that whole unnecessary pirate attack yet they managed to keep the infection and the turtle soup. 

I didn’t miss them either. I thought it was a bit excessive in the books, and unnecessary. When I read that bit I shook my head and face palmed. My first thought was “why Diana, why?” But then I got to the turtle soup scene and I forgave her. I’m glad they could side-step all of it in order to still result in that part. 

7 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

I've just had to realize that the books and tv show are two different things altogether. I've been disappointed so many times this season at changed or eliminated scenes and characters. But they can't fit everything in to the show, but I would have made some different choices in what to eliminate or change. 

I agree wholeheartedly. I would high five you if I could. 

From the beginning of the season, I’ve struggled with this. Maybe because I didn’t make a huge differentiation with either entity for season one and two. But in recent episodes I’ve worked REALLY hard to separate book and show, and I’m thankful I’ve managed, so that I could semi-enjoy opposed to ripping apart each minute with my snarky comparisons. It gets exhausting. In doing so, I’ve also realized the focus of my complaints throughout the season aren’t entirely based on the changes they’ve made; rather, it’s how they’ve made these changes. Diversion from original plot works fine and dandy, if it’s executed well. In the case of season 3, most of it is poorly done. 

This makes me sad, because I love Outlander, I love Jamie and Claire, I really love Roger (Go Rog Go!) and just everything about the whole series makes me ? So I’m disappointed in the execution of the season. Writing, plot holes, having to hand wave a multitude of things, characters out of character, situations that don’t make sense even in the Outlander world (and there’s a lot of shenanigans happening in the Outlander world, as we all know) are all faults for me. And I personally feel it causes the story to fall short in its beauty ?

7 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

I agree that the penicillin vials were in danger on that table! I think Jamie and Claire have been rather careless in their treatment of 20th century items. The corset zipper, vials of penicillin with the syringes, and Jamie looking at his pictures with the entrance to the jail at his back. I'd have the door to the jail in my sight before I puled the photos out to avoid any surprises.

yes! This! Why on earth weren’t they more careful? Jamie was waving the pouch around like no big deal. I know they’re in the cabin, but the door wasn’t even bolted! Aside from the fact it has a zipper, there is 20th medicine inside it! Hello! Put the stuff away, or lock the door before you whip it out into the open! 

Anyways. 

I didn't mind this episode on the whole, but I’ve the same qualms as most people. Claire playing Castaway just didn’t work for me. A lot of time was wasted on her trapesing through the bushes was meh. I know they wanted to show a time frame, and set it up so that Turtle Soip was the last scene we see, but I feel it could have been tweaked and cleaned up a bit. 

Father Fogden worked for me. I found him to be too fruity in the books. 

I liked Mamacita! I generally get ticked when they eliminate characters, but I didn’t mind Stern being gone. I feel like he doesn’t add anything to the story. We mainly needed him to show us to the cave to rescue Ian, but Father Fogden has mentioned Abanadawe to Claire, so that Stern is now an unnecessary character. Willoughby also fills Stern’s role of questioning Jamie at the door of the cabin during turtle soup. 

I liked the wedding very much! I had giggles and tears all at once. 

Not too many thoughts on this episode, but between now and morning if I do think of anything I’ll pop back in ?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LadyBrochTuarach said:

I liked Mamacita! I generally get ticked when they eliminate characters, but I didn’t mind Stern being gone. I feel like he doesn’t add anything to the story. We mainly needed him to show us to the cave to rescue Ian, but Father Fogden has mentioned Abanadawe to Claire, so that Stern is now an unnecessary character. Willoughby also fills Stern’s role of questioning Jamie at the door of the cabin during turtle soup. 

HA! In the book, I was baffled with Stern in the end. I did not trust him one bit and kept waiting for the other shoe to drop...and it never did. So, yeah, he is easily eliminated for me too.

13 hours ago, LadyBrochTuarach said:

Jamie was waving the pouch around like no big deal. I know they’re in the cabin, but the door wasn’t even bolted! Aside from the fact it has a zipper, there is 20th medicine inside it!

Oh you're right.  There WAS a zipper on that case.  Okay I call shenanigans on that.  I can understand Claire wanting a zipper on an intimate garment that (under normal circumstances) no one but Jamie and she would ever see because the zipper makes her life much easier (laces being a hassle ye ken) but the decision to have the penicillin in a zippered case seems reckless.  I guess I can fan-wank that she planned to keep that item (with its syringe and vials of medicine) even more carefully hidden than her corset.

You know when Claire unzipped the case with her teeth I was simultaneously impressed with her ingenuity and somewhat annoyed that she didn't just ask Jamie for help.  But I guess the writers were making a point of her self-sufficiency and that Claire (particularly drunk Claire) doesn't ask for help unless she REALLY can't manage on her own.  Also Jamie is probably still a bit suspicious of zippers.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

I haven't listened to the podcast for this episode yet but apparently they mention that parts of this episode were significantly re-written? According to Diana, it sounds like it was re-written to include the wedding and turtle soup. Can you imagine if those parts weren't there? 

23 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

I haven't listened to the podcast for this episode yet but apparently they mention that parts of this episode were significantly re-written? According to Diana, it sounds like it was re-written to include the wedding and turtle soup. Can you imagine if those parts weren't there? 

Would they have been in next week's episode?  Maybe they had to re-write it for time, to fit it all in...  I don't listen to the podcasts, can you please share what you learn?

On 11/26/2017 at 8:19 PM, toolazy said:

I've seen people complaining in a few different places that it took her three days to get to Father Fogden's from the beach but mere hours (if that) to get to Jamie.  I'm pretty sure that it's because it's a different beach because Mamacita had to tell her which direction to run in.  At least, that is what I choose to believe.

I was very surprised when I read people complaining.  It just never dawned on me that they could have been the same beach.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, LadyBrochTuarach said:

I didn’t miss them either. I thought it was a bit excessive in the books, and unnecessary. When I read that bit I shook my head and face palmed. My first thought was “why Diana, why?” But then I got to the turtle soup scene and I forgave her. I’m glad they could side-step all of it in order to still result in that part. 

I agree wholeheartedly. I would high five you if I could. 

From the beginning of the season, I’ve struggled with this. Maybe because I didn’t make a huge differentiation with either entity for season one and two. But in recent episodes I’ve worked REALLY hard to separate book and show, and I’m thankful I’ve managed, so that I could semi-enjoy opposed to ripping apart each minute with my snarky comparisons. It gets exhausting. In doing so, I’ve also realized the focus of my complaints throughout the season aren’t entirely based on the changes they’ve made; rather, it’s how they’ve made these changes. Diversion from original plot works fine and dandy, if it’s executed well. In the case of season 3, most of it is poorly done. 

This makes me sad, because I love Outlander, I love Jamie and Claire, I really love Roger (Go Rog Go!) and just everything about the whole series makes me ? So I’m disappointed in the execution of the season. Writing, plot holes, having to hand wave a multitude of things, characters out of character, situations that don’t make sense even in the Outlander world (and there’s a lot of shenanigans happening in the Outlander world, as we all know) are all faults for me. And I personally feel it causes the story to fall short in its beauty ?

yes! This! Why on earth weren’t they more careful? Jamie was waving the pouch around like no big deal. I know they’re in the cabin, but the door wasn’t even bolted! Aside from the fact it has a zipper, there is 20th medicine inside it! Hello! Put the stuff away, or lock the door before you whip it out into the open! 

Amen to the pirate attack.  Just too much going on, and I'm glad it was eliminated.

I've always separated the books and show (I didn't read the books until after I had seen season 1 as it is), but this season hasn't been that bad for me.  I mostly like the changes that have been made, and they've mostly all been minor, IMO.  The characters were only out of character for one episode, and I blame that on a new writer; I'm not going to let one new writer ruin the whole season for me.  I think the choice to write Mr. Willoughby completely differently in the show is probably the best thing they've done yet.  He's become a great character, and dare I say that I thought DG was bordering on being racist when I read the books.  What other plot holes?  

I don't think Jamie quite understands how fragile the medicine may be.  Also, I don't see the big deal about how they treated the medicine... and they did bolt the door eventually. ;-)  

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Would they have been in next week's episode?  Maybe they had to re-write it for time, to fit it all in...  I don't listen to the podcasts, can you please share what you learn?

32 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

That's odd, because I think Matt Roberts had been hinting about the turtle soup scene for some time on twitter just as he was for the print shop.

The episode was even titled Turtle Soup originally. Maybe it was originally made up dialogue/too different from the original? Here is what Diana said: What they mostly did was (in the rewrite) was to (luckily) insert large chunks of the original dialogue from the books--i.e., the wedding and turtle soup scenes.  

She also gave them a lot of commentary on the beetles they used with the goat (wrong kind, wouldn't have survived in a jar like that, etc.) but she said once they have a visual in mind, they will rarely change it.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I was very surprised when I read people complaining.  It just never dawned on me that they could have been the same beach.

I immediately figured that the two beaches were different. I mean, an island is surrounded by water by definition. Who's is to say that everyone who turns up on an island, turns up on the same beach. In my view, I thought Claire was unlucky enough to float over to the farther side, away from the makeshift hacienda. Jamie and the Artemis, however, were knocked about on the seas by a storm and kind of crash landed on another part, closer to Fogden and Mamacita. That would explain why it took Claire little time to make it to *that* beach.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

The episode was even titled Turtle Soup originally. Maybe it was originally made up dialogue/too different from the original? Here is what Diana said: What they mostly did was (in the rewrite) was to (luckily) insert large chunks of the original dialogue from the books--i.e., the wedding and turtle soup scenes.  

She also gave them a lot of commentary on the beetles they used with the goat (wrong kind, wouldn't have survived in a jar like that, etc.) but she said once they have a visual in mind, they will rarely change it.

Ah, thanks.  So they were in there, the scenes just weren't from the book enough for their liking.  I guess I commend them for changing them then, because if people are already complaining about the differences, could you imagine the uproar?

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Ah, thanks.  So they were in there, the scenes just weren't from the book enough for their liking.  I guess I commend them for changing them then, because if people are already complaining about the differences, could you imagine the uproar?

I would have been sad if the wedding scene was any more different than it already was.  I think they did a pretty good job at showing us the wackiness of Fr. Fogden and a great job at showing us the sweetness of Jamie & Fergus. 

• Love 4

Another tidbit from Diana: 

There was one scene written _and_ (partially) filmed for 311 that involved quicksand, for instance...

The script called for Claire to stop at the edge of the quicksand and throw a stick into it, "which is immediately sucked down."

So I explained what quicksand is and how it works (i.e., it does not actually "suck" anything), and why a stick thrown into quicksand would just float. I did add that if they _had_ to do it, at least have Claire thrust the stick in point-first and discover that there was no bottom--she'd just keep pushing until the stick disappeared.  (They probably get really tired of me explaining things to them <g>, but what the heck...)

So they did film a short bit of a stick being pushed point-first into (pretend) quicksand, but it wasn't convincing-looking--and then they decided not to use the scene (also filmed) in which she meets the pirate she was going to decoy into the quicksand, so they just abandoned both efforts. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, jzygayle said:

I really hated gaining the coconut and losing the hurricane and later the pirates (that caused the deep cut that led to the infection and turtle soup in the book).

The pirates would have been great to watch!  But I'm ok with cutting that part out in favor of some of the more crucial plot points that still need to be included in the final 2 episodes.  I do wonder how much of the final hurricane will be shown.  I'm hoping not too much!

I'm ready for this season to end. I am not feeling it with Fergus and Marsali. Blandness squared, imo. I'm in this for Claire and Jamie, I must admit. I'm anxious to get to Roger and Bri and the ridge story lines. 

Something funny: my partner was walking in and out of the room as I was watching this episode. At the end, when, um, turtle soup was happening, he paused in the doorway and then said, "Hey, rewind that part!" ;) 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Also Jamie is probably still a bit suspicious of zippers.

Just had to say, this sentence had me laughing out loud for a good five minutes. It's just so true. I can picture it so clearly...the look on Sam's face around a zipper. I'm dying.

• Love 2

Well I seem to be in a minority as I'm really enjoying these episodes, compared to the seeming interminable wait before they left Edinburgh (I personally thought the print shop episode was a helluva waste of an extended episode), but then I'm more here for the adventure than the romance.

That said, I did feel it when Jamie and Claire reunited on the beach - Sam and Cait do it so well.

My favourite part was the bit in the wedding where Jamie gave Fergus the Fraser surname - I must admit to a tear or two. The look on Fergus's face said everything.

Turtle soup was a close second though.  I'm loving Willoughby in the show after the cringeworthy portrayal in the books.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, pootlus said:

Well I seem to be in a minority as I'm really enjoying these episodes, compared to the seeming interminable wait before they left Edinburgh (I personally thought the print shop episode was a helluva waste of an extended episode), but then I'm more here for the adventure than the romance.

That said, I did feel it when Jamie and Claire reunited on the beach - Sam and Cait do it so well.

My favourite part was the bit in the wedding where Jamie gave Fergus the Fraser surname - I must admit to a tear or two. The look on Fergus's face said everything.

Turtle soup was a close second though.  I'm loving Willoughby in the show after the cringeworthy portrayal in the books.

I guess I'm with you in the minority then, because I like the whole season. I'm here for both the romance and adventure though, so I also liked the reunion. ;)

Edited by FnkyChkn34
grammar is important
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, MadameKillerB said:

I'm ready for this season to end. I am not feeling it with Fergus and Marsali. Blandness squared, imo. I'm in this for Claire and Jamie, I must admit. I'm anxious to get to Roger and Bri and the ridge story lines.

I agree that Fergus and Marsali are not the most exciting couple right now!  I don't really remember having much of an opinion one way or the other about them at this point in the books.  But I must say, the actress playing Marsali is doing a great job with the small role she currently has.  Hoping this continues, as Marsali should have a bigger role in future seasons (I'm being optimistic, here).

I am so looking forward to Roger and Brianna.  I know some people aren't a fan of Brianna or the actress who plays her.  I always loved Brianna in the books, especially in Book 4 and beyond, and I don't have a problem with Sophie Skelton.  I am definitely looking forward to those story lines!

• Love 5

I'm actually a fan of the secondary characters, perhaps more so than Claire and Jamie. I love Roger and Fergus and Marsali and Young Ian. I've never liked Briana much, but I don't dislike her. Then there are the one-off characters like Father Fogden, who kind of steal the show. Once C and J are established, the other characters take on a lot of the story. We're seeing quite a bit of that here--Fergus and Marsali got a lot of screen-time, and in this episode and others secondary figures have really been handled effectively (Mary McNabb, for instance). I'm sure next season we'll have lots of Briana and Roger (yes, please).

• Love 3