Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: The One Where Jen Loses Her Mind

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Timothy Sykes returns and cannot live without his Wi-Fi, causing Kate and Captain Lee to feel the pressure; Jen is scrutinized after she upsets the entire crew; Nico struggles to make a decision about his relationship.

On 11/23/2017 at 1:35 AM, biakbiak said:

Color me shocked that it doesn't appear that asshole isn't still with his teenage girlfriend.

Probably because he has the manners of a baboon. No offense to baboons.

Edited by pieinmyeye
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

So, basically Matt has been cheating his guests of his best for all the other charters. Or, he really didn’t know how to put together a fabulous meal without Kate’s help.

It's a little of both, I think, and if I'd been a guest on a previous charter I'd be pissed, or even more pissed than I already was. I'm glad Kate mentioned the omnipresent salads. I'd be very unhappy if my lunch consisted of greens with some protein tossed on top. And no, Matt, Salade Niçoise is not just tossed salad with some tuna on it.

• Love 9

Wonder what Bri and Melissa think about watching Nico screw them both over.  

While Matt was patting himself on the back, I was expecting him to say “and thanks to Kate too” since it seemed like she primarily chose the menu.

The charter guest is a total douche. My guess is he won’t be returning, unless he really has no shame.  Dude needs to chill out and not try so hard.

• Love 11

Jen remembered being a tremendous drunk asshole enough to apologize the next day, but didn't think her shitty behavior deserved a lecture because it really did. She also seemed to miss Matt recommending that Captain Lee fire Jen. Jen doesn't realize that everyone on board holds the exact same opinion of her that Kate does. Jen actually had the nerve to roll her eyes.

Matt is creatively limited as a chef. The amount of time Kate had to spend with him to put out a 5 star meal is not feasible. Matt even stepped it up when Bruno was there. Matt is sous chef material not head chef at all.

The charter guest is a douche, but I feel like he was a lot less douchey this go around.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 11

So it's the last charter and Matt is finally using the grill?  I was amused at how proud he was of himself for not phoning it in for once.

Jen is an idiot.

Kate was being a jerk to Kyle, but it's the end of the season and I think she's just at the end of her rope -- not that it's an excuse.  The lecture she gave Jen looked like it might have been pretty good, but she shouldn't have had Bri there in my opinion and probably should have been laying the hammer down on Jen like that all season.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

So it's the last charter and Matt is finally using the grill?  I was amused at how proud he was of himself for not phoning it in for once.

This pissed me off. They've had a grill there all season and he never used it. Even if he has been phoning it in, he's got to know that making a dish right in front of the guests could have earned him some brownie points.

2 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

The lecture she gave Jen looked like it might have been pretty good, but she shouldn't have had Bri there in my opinion and probably should have been laying the hammer down on Jen like that all season.

On the one hand Jen is a screw up and needed a talking to, but Bri is also capable of publicly screwing up and could have used a reminder. Perhaps Kate didn't want to pull Jen aside because that typically results in worse behavior from Jen.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

pissed me off. They've had a grill there all season and he never used it. Even if he has been phoning it in, he's got to know that making a dish right in front of the guests could have earned him some brownie points.

Seriously, hell even a casual bbq for lunch might have scored points with some of this charter guests! 

• Love 9

Remember that Kyle is the real victim here, what with a fork penetrating his gravy and all.   

OMG, is that guy dense.

Jen needs a therapist.  She did the fork in the gravy thing to show the group her link to Kyle, it's a way of demonstrating intimacy or friendship in a group social situation.  She was trying to show that she does have an ally.  Unfortunately, her supposed ally isn't all that supportive of her AND he has some sort of a phobia about people touching his food.  I hate people taking stuff from my plate without asking, but his walking away showed that he has a real issue of some sort.

Overall, these two episodes showed that Jen is on her own...and for good reason.  She's not good at her job and rather than improving her performance she lashes out.  Then, there's the issue of alcohol.  She really shouldn't drink around her co-workers...but she's hardly alone in that.   Matt shouldn't, heck, at least half of any given crew shouldn't.

Nico made a dumba#$ mistake with the line.   He should have been told not to do that, or figured it out himself in the course of the season.  Anyone who has worked on a ship or boat handling lines should know that first thing.  He's getting better, but he's really not cut out for this sort of work.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Ew, do not like this primary at all. Who arrives on jetskis, as opposed to just walking down the dock? Where was all his luggage? Then he bitches incessantly about the wifi? You're in the middle of the frigging ocean! Can you not stop trading for TWO nights??? I'm not looking forward to his stupid party next week. 

At least he was impressed by the food, though. Where has THIS Matt been all season??? He actually seems to do really well when he thoroughly plans beforehand. And then, when he had to make something else on the fly, he had enough confidence from the other dishes that he was able to knock it out. Kudos to Kate for figuring out what makes Matt tick. (But I still say that impromptu dish was Kate's fault. Why ASK if he's still hungry???)

I KNEW the minute Nico picked up that phone he was calling his ex. He's been all twitchy about Bri for the last week or so. I said it last week - dude is about instant gratification and convenience. Bri was a nice lay on charter, but he's not going to put it any kind of work to maintain it back home. He wants that easy access hometown girl. I hope she doesn't go back to him. He's sitting there texting her, while Bri is bringing him food. He's such a douche. 

I don't really want to talk about Jen any more this week. She is just exhausting, with a mouth that doesn't quit. I also would appreciate if she would validate her daughter's sadness and loneliness instead of being all forced happiness and smiles all the time. But whatever. 

• Love 20

Did we ever see Bruno, Baker, Mat and Bri ganging up on Jen or being a group of mean girls to her? I always though Baker pretty much stayed above it all.

I feel like they would have shown more of them ganging up on Jen. Wasn't Bruno the one Jen always cried to? I thought there was a moment during one of Jen's cry sessions that Bri tried to bring up her issues with Jen regarding work. Baker does seem to try to stay out of the drama and do her own thing. I think Matt could have been annoyed by Jen, but if he had to work with her in the galley that he would keep his mouth shut. I could see Bri venting to them about Jen and maybe some of the others if they had to do Jen's work in the morning when she was late. Maybe all four of them were just as annoyed as Kate was about Jen. I do not know, but I think if it was a big thing they would have shown it.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 5

If I'm sick & tired of Jen's whiny voice, I'm sure everyone on the crew feels the same way.  They've all had to deal with her drunken outbursts, lazy entitlement, and non stop bitching, so I'd imagine that any sympathy they may have had has been worn thin by now.

I hope Nico's ex strings him along and then cuts him to the quick.  Prick.

• Love 22
58 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I feel like they would have shown more of them ganging up on Jen. Wasn't Bruno the one Jen always cried to?

Bruno has been there for Jen multiple times this season. I didn't like him threatening to lock Jen in the bathroom, but he only lost his cool with her because she was calling one of HIS co-workers a "whore" for no reason, and just acting totally belligerent. But I've not seen him gang up on her at any point this season, and I think if that HAD been happening, Jen wouldn't be running to him when she was upset. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

If I'm sick & tired of Jen's whiny voice, I'm sure everyone on the crew feels the same way.  They've all had to deal with her drunken outbursts, lazy entitlement, and non stop bitching, so I'd imagine that any sympathy they may have had has been worn thin by now.

1 hour ago, Misslindsey said:

I feel like they would have shown more of them ganging up on Jen. Wasn't Bruno the one Jen always cried to? I thought there was a moment during one of Jen's cry sessions that Bri tried to bring up her issues with Jen regarding work. Baker does seem to try to stay out of the drama and do her own thing. I think Matt could have been annoyed by Jen, but if he had to work with her in the galley that he would keep his mouth shut. I could see Bri venting to them about Jen and maybe some of the others if they had to do Jen's work in the morning when she was late. Maybe all four of them were just as annoyed as Kate was about Jen. I do not know, but I think if it was a big thing they would have shown it.

Baker was shown largely staying out of it. Matt has been shown talking shit about Jen as has Bri. Bruno has always had Jen's back even going so far to say that Kate has nothing waiting back home for her. He never should have put his hands on her. However, she's an asshole and a child.

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

I hope Nico's ex strings him along and then cuts him to the quick.  Prick.

We knew Nico's ass would go back to Melissa once she was back in his orbit. He's terrible. 

• Love 6

Sorry Bri, but I don't feel bad that you are being dumped by Nico; you knew he had a girlfriend and you still went for it. But Nico, I pray that Melissa does NOT take you back. It also seems so strange to me that after that awkward date that she and Matt had, they still seem friendly with one another.  Guess it's lucky that Bruno is gay (bi?) and stayed totally out of the romantic intrigues; otherwise perhaps he and his roommate would have been getting ready to break up.

• Love 8

So...Matt. I agree that sometimes he just seems to dial it in and other times he knocks it out of the park....but I like all the stuff he makes. I would love that scallop salad and the mahi and asparagus. I personally wouldn't do two greens and no starch if I were making a menu but I'd love to eat all that myself.

Jen. Kate Should have toughed it out and just fired her. Bruno, who had a nasty injury anyway, could have moved to interior. Everyone could have picked up some slack.

Nico. He is soooooo disgusting. Melissa, have some self-respect girl and just say NO!!!!! He just wants what is there. Gross!!!!! Pig!

Kyle. Um, I have read some things about you and you are gross. So why freak out when a clean fork gets dipped in your sauce? The chef had done that too, prior to serving it. Weirdo! And you are acting strange with Kate. 

Kate. Why does it look like she was sabotaging Matt? Seems like she wanted him to fail. Maybe so her boy, Ben, can come back next season???? Then when she knew the primary would be super picky and tight on tipping well, then she helps Matt????

Bruno has come a long way. I don't mind him. He and Baker are the easiest to watch and most likable. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Guess it's lucky that Bruno is gay (bi?) and stayed totally out of the romantic intrigues; otherwise perhaps he and his roommate would have been getting ready to break up.

Bruno is bi and his roommate is Jen. Those two together would have been a shitshow. Actually, Jen with anyone would have been a shitshow. I listened to Kate's podcast and Jen blames her drunkenness on her much younger crew members ordering a ton of drinks. Kate tries to give Jen an out by saying it was opportunity to cut loose that Jen hadn't had in a while and might have over done it. Jen has a half hearted "I guess so." Jen's older and raising an 8 year old, but still being overcome by peer pressure...ugh.

• Love 4

Jen seems to be one of those people who shouldn't drink. She doesn't know when she's had enough, and she gets really sloppy and mean. I hope that, after seeing herself on the show, she realizes alcohol is not a good thing for her. If she doesn't, she might one day get a call from her daughter's school wanting to talk to her about her daughter's essay "Mommy's Drinking Makes Me Sad"

• Love 10
1 hour ago, greyflannel said:

I hope that, after seeing herself on the show, she realizes alcohol is not a good thing for her. If she doesn't, she might one day get a call from her daughter's school wanting to talk to her about her daughter's essay "Mommy's Drinking Makes Me Sad"

Better that than a call from my publisher asking for a quote about my book "Jen's Drinking Makes Me Stabby".

• Love 10

If Jen were really good at her job, it might justify her being away from her daughter.  But since she's been on the verge of being fired every charter, it seems she'd be better off staying home with her daughter and finding a job locally.  Her daughter seems really sad and it's just unnecessary for Jen to have put her in that position.

I wonder how Bri will handle the breakup next week.... 

• Love 10

Nico is a douche and if Melissa takes him back, she's a FOOL.  Because he'll step out on her again.  She better not think about getting married to Nico because he's not ready for marriage; because when you get married, you don't cheat on your spouse because you have issues with them, you work them out together.  No one in a relationship should have to worry that their behavior could "cause" their partner to cheat because that will only add to the anxiety in the relationship.  Melissa should drop the asshole.

Jen lost her mind a long time ago, probably before she got on this boat.  

Both Jen and Matt need to realize that alcohol isn't their friend.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Nico is a douche and if Melissa takes him back, she's a FOOL.

I hope Nico's ex is as smart as Matt's. 

(paraphrashing here)- don't remember the exact words, except the Ex's

Matt: So, do you want to get together and talk when I get back?

EX: Nope. 

Hahahaha enough said!

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 16

I realize that I am trying to apply logic to an illogical situation, but I REALLY don't understand Kyle's freakout over his food.  I mean, I guess I can understand him not wanting to eat the sauce after Jen stuck her fork in.  But it was in a separate little gravy boat on his plate.  He could have asked for a new one.  She didn't touch anything that was actually on his plate - he could have eaten the rest of the food without touching the sauce.  This makes no sense to me!  Sorry, I just had to get that out.  

• Love 7
On 11/30/2017 at 0:14 PM, TexasGal said:

I realize that I am trying to apply logic to an illogical situation, but I REALLY don't understand Kyle's freakout over his food.  I mean, I guess I can understand him not wanting to eat the sauce after Jen stuck her fork in.  But it was in a separate little gravy boat on his plate.  He could have asked for a new one.  She didn't touch anything that was actually on his plate - he could have eaten the rest of the food without touching the sauce.  This makes no sense to me!  Sorry, I just had to get that out.  

Some people have issues around food that make sense to them, but seem strange to others.  For me, it was a boundary issue.  Jen didn't know Kyle, she'd just met him.  I wouldn't stick my fork onto someone else's plate without asking.  It was a separate gravy boat, but it was on HIS plate, and she assumed he'd be okay with it.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 13

I appreciated what Matt did with the tasting menu to include the vegetarian. As someone whose daughter was veggie for a few years, I saw a lot of lazy substitutions. He did well to make hers as pretty and of a similar look and feel to what the non-veggies were getting. And it's a lot of effort to do that for just one person.

• Love 11
On 11/28/2017 at 10:49 PM, Passing Strange said:

It's a little of both, I think, and if I'd been a guest on a previous charter I'd be pissed, or even more pissed than I already was. I'm glad Kate mentioned the omnipresent salads. I'd be very unhappy if my lunch consisted of greens with some protein tossed on top. And no, Matt, Salade Niçoise is not just tossed salad with some tuna on it.

In fact, a true Niçoise has anchovies, not tuna.

On 11/29/2017 at 6:51 AM, terrymct said:

Remember that Kyle is the real victim here, what with a fork penetrating his gravy and all.   

OMG, is that guy dense.

Jen needs a therapist.  She did the fork in the gravy thing to show the group her link to Kyle, it's a way of demonstrating intimacy or friendship in a group social situation.  She was trying to show that she does have an ally.  Unfortunately, her supposed ally isn't all that supportive of her AND he has some sort of a phobia about people touching his food.  I hate people taking stuff from my plate without asking, but his walking away showed that he has a real issue of some sort.

Overall, these two episodes showed that Jen is on her own...and for good reason.  She's not good at her job and rather than improving her performance she lashes out.  Then, there's the issue of alcohol.  She really shouldn't drink around her co-workers...but she's hardly alone in that.   Matt shouldn't, heck, at least half of any given crew shouldn't.

Nico made a dumba#$ mistake with the line.   He should have been told not to do that, or figured it out himself in the course of the season.  Anyone who has worked on a ship or boat handling lines should know that first thing.  He's getting better, but he's really not cut out for this sort of work.

Pretty sure he was joking!

• Love 5

I actually like Matt for the most part. Sure, his food isn't the most inspired, but I have not really been that impressed with Ben, Adam, or Leon's food either. I think they all have been pretty hit or miss. I cannot remember if it was Ben or Adam who made pretty lackluster breakfasts. I thought Matt's speciality was more rustic and simple or at least I think that is what he said in one of the early episodes. What I do appreciate about him is when he gets critiques he seems more disappointed in himself. He does not seem to yell, freak out, or take it out on others like some of the previous BD chefs have. I like that he is pretty chill in the kitchen. 

As for the mean girls comment from Kate about the others treatment of Jen. I think there is a difference between venting about coworkers and ganging up on them. Unless there is some major editing going on I did not really see anyone gang up on Jen.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 10

Dear Nico,

Congratulations for being an even bigger douche scumbag than we all originally thought. You screwed over your girlfriend so you could try to justify cheating on her with a cast mate (notice I didn't say crew mate because it's clear none of y'all are actual yachties). Of course we all knew you would end up dumping your cast mate when it was time to go home. We can only collectively hope that Melissa has enough self esteem and support to tell you to go fuck yourself multiple times. You're a dick. You're brother is a dick. And I have a strong suspicion that you've always been a dick. So please, stop blaming your poor behavior on your deceased brother.

Signed,

Everyone Who Isn't You

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I actually like Matt for the most part. Sure, his food isn't the most inspired, but I have not really been that impressed with Ben, Adam, or Leon's food either. I think they all have been pretty hit or miss. I cannot remember if it was Ben or Adam who made pretty lackluster breakfasts. I thought Matt's speciality was more rustic and simple or at least I think that is what he said in one of the early episodes. What I do appreciate about him is when he gets critiques he seems more disappointed in himself. He does not seem to yell, freak out, or take it out on others like some of the previous BD chefs have. I like that he is pretty chill in the kitchen.

It was Adam who did the worse than Hampton Inn continental breakfasts. His were usually pastries, fruits, and yogurt. The guests had to ask him for eggs and proteins at breakfast. That was a disgrace of disgraces. Matt's specialty was rustic food, but I've felt like he never really leaned into that and did multiple courses of rustic food or multiple family style dishes. At dinner, it was usually a main and dessert. That's a bit underwhelming for the money these folks spend. So even if Matt served tempura prawns or steamed mussels with crusty bread as a starter, he might have made more of an impression by just giving them more than two courses. I do like that he isn't high strung like the rest of those primo donnos.

3 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

As for the mean girls comment from Kate about the others treatment of Jen. I think there is a difference between venting about coworkers and ganging up on them. Unless there is some major editing going on I did not really see anyone gang up on Jen.

No one was really ganging up on Jen, but she just can't see her faults and weaknesses. Look through her Twitter after an episode airs, it's nothing, but excuses.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Some people have issues around food that make sense to them, but seem strange to others.  For me, it was a boundary issue.  Jen didn't know Kyle, she'd just met him.  I wouldn't stick my fork onto someone else's plate without asking.  It was a separate gravy boat, but it was on HIS plate, and she'd assumed he'd be okay with it.

And it’s clearly something that came up last season and wasn’t shown because Nico knew instantly that he wouldn’t eat it after Kyle told him what Jen had done. 

• Love 9
On 11/30/2017 at 1:34 PM, gingerella said:

Dear Nico,

Congratulations for being an even bigger douche scumbag than we all originally thought. You screwed over your girlfriend so you could try to justify cheating on her with a cast mate (notice I didn't say crew mate because it's clear none of y'all are actual yachties). Of course we all knew you would end up dumping your cast mate when it was time to go home. We can only collectively hope that Melissa has enough self esteem and support to tell you to go fuck yourself multiple times. You're a dick. You're brother is a dick. And I have a strong suspicion that you've always been a dick. So please, stop blaming your poor behavior on your deceased brother.

Signed,

Everyone Who Isn't You

You KNOW he went home and blamed it all on his brother dying. I just hope Melissa didn’t fall for that shit. I almost hate to say it because I don’t deny him the trauma of losing his brother but I felt like he was literally setting things up so that he could go home and blame that as the reason he went for Bri all along. Nico has shown us who he is and it’s not good.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 3

Not to completely defend Nico or anything, but when my own brother died unexpectedly (freak accident while he was in college), my other brother and I were kind of in a daze for about a year. I fixated on knitting and yarn (seriously, it was nuts) and pretended nothing happened by not talking about it to anyone (I got real funny if you asked about my family) and my living brother, who was dating one girl at the time, dumped her because another girl told him "you need to dump her and date me" at the wake. Not that he'd seen her in two years. But for two years, she did no wrong. He's incredibly fiscally tight and he gave her unlimited access to his credit card as well as letting her pick out a house for him in a city he wasn't going to live in. He was a wreck. To this day, he can't explain a lot of what happened over those two years. Grief makes people do weird things. And sometimes, pretending that you are someone else or that there is some other reality that you are living in, is all you can do to get through the day and get out of bed. I think some of the Bri thing could have been that. Some of it was him being a dick, but I think some of it was living in a world where he wasn't a guy with a dead brother.

It's hard to explain unless you've lived it. But I could see part of it in his behavior. I think it was also some of his drinking and some of the carelessness I noticed. I think as he figured out that he could be distracted by focusing on work, his work got better because it was an escape from his grief.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, MegD said:

's hard to explain unless you've lived it. But I could see part of it in his behavior. I think it was also some of his drinking and some of the carelessness I noticed. I think as he figured out that he could be distracted by focusing on work, his work got better because it was an escape from his grief.

Nico behaved in a similar dickish fashion last year before his brother died.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, MegD said:

Not to completely defend Nico or anything, but when my own brother died unexpectedly (freak accident while he was in college), my other brother and I were kind of in a daze for about a year. I fixated on knitting and yarn (seriously, it was nuts) and pretended nothing happened by not talking about it to anyone (I got real funny if you asked about my family) and my living brother, who was dating one girl at the time, dumped her because another girl told him "you need to dump her and date me" at the wake. Not that he'd seen her in two years. But for two years, she did no wrong. He's incredibly fiscally tight and he gave her unlimited access to his credit card as well as letting her pick out a house for him in a city he wasn't going to live in. He was a wreck. To this day, he can't explain a lot of what happened over those two years. Grief makes people do weird things. And sometimes, pretending that you are someone else or that there is some other reality that you are living in, is all you can do to get through the day and get out of bed. I think some of the Bri thing could have been that. Some of it was him being a dick, but I think some of it was living in a world where he wasn't a guy with a dead brother.

It's hard to explain unless you've lived it. But I could see part of it in his behavior. I think it was also some of his drinking and some of the carelessness I noticed. I think as he figured out that he could be distracted by focusing on work, his work got better because it was an escape from his grief.

Megd, sorry for your loss.  I cant even imagine.

Nico's a bit of a knob, IMO, but I give him a huge pass under the circumstances.  He made a mistake at the expense of both Bri and Melissa, but context is important.

Edited by Jextella
35 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
46 minutes ago, MegD said:

But I could see part of it in his behavior. I think it was also some of his drinking and some of the carelessness I noticed. I think as he figured out that he could be distracted by focusing on work, his work got better because it was an escape from his grief.

Nico behaved in a similar dickish fashion last year before his brother died.

Like I said, some not all. I was more thinking the impulsive "let's screw the girl that's here so I'm distracted and not thinking about my real life" than his general attitude towards women. He wasn't dating anyone last season though and I seem to remember him screwing anything he could get his hands on that said ok.

• Love 1

You know, though, that there's a pattern here with all of the guys on these boats.   Every season, every sea (Caribbean & Mediterranian.)  They just want to fuck whatever is available and these girls give in.  It's ridiculous.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Tress said:

You know, though, that there's a pattern here with all of the guys on these boats.   Every season, every sea (Caribbean & Mediterranian.)  They just want to fuck whatever is available and these girls give in.  It's ridiculous.

There is that double standard for some reason! Women can't be seen as "looking for it" and if they give it up, it's all on the guy and he's the sleazebag! ;-)

• Love 2