Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E10: Two for the Price of One

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

The second JP talked during TC I knew he was a goner since that’s the first time he’s done so since the merge. That’s assuming he talked when the tribes were smaller. I’m sure he did but I have no memory of it. The guy truly got an invisible edit.

That was pretty brilliant to have Mike be a double agent AND he did a pretty convincing job of acting like he was left out too. Devon is more than a pretty face!

Someone said on Twitter: “Did Lauren just listen to all 6000 hours of The Evolution of Strategy (podcast Rob Cesternino did on all 30+ seasons) on a loop on her fishing boat” I’m seriously impressed by her game play!! You wouldn’t think she’d have it in her in the first few episodes but she’s proving to be a challenge beast and a strategic player. But I do think wanting to vote out Ben in the second episode was premature. They had to secure the majority. If they voted him out, they risked Chrissy + Ryan and Joe + Mike teaming up to be the new majority and picking them off.  

I LOVED seeing Chrissy and Ryan get knocked down a few pegs. Survivor masterminds you two are not. 

@Ms Blue Jay your comparison of Dr. Mike being Michael Scott is absolutely dead on. You win the internet tonight. How the guy is so genuine in his delusional thinking is mind boggling!!

I still think Ben is getting the winner’s edit. 

Edited by UGAmp
  • Love 8

Why does Devin's body look so much oilier and shinier than everyone else?   It constantly had this sheen of sweat or oil.  I think they are given sunscreen, right?  If so, is he the only one using it? No one else has this constant coating of oil on them.

• Love 2

I think Ben got the winner edit tonight, too. The wife & letter from home is a dead giveaway. LOL!!! I thought Ben and Lauren would make the finals but I’m thinking she goes out before that. Maybe, at Final 5?! I’m thinking Ben, Ashley & Devon make the Final 3. I think the jury will recognize Ben’s game over Devon & Ashley. It’s just a guess and I could totally wrong. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 6
Just now, UGAmp said:

The second JP talked during TC I knew he was a goner since that’s the first time he’s done so since the merge. That’s assuming he talked when the tribes were smaller. The guy truly get an invisible edit. 

The bulk of his confessionals came when he was on the original Levu/Hero tribe due to the possible power coupling with Ashley.  After the swap, I was glad they reduced his screen time, because all of the screen time that came after that was bad.  He made one arrogant confessional over how nuSoko would never get rid of him because he was a provider and good in challenges, and then another equally arrogant one saying that there was nothing Ali could do to keep from getting voted out.

Believe me.  Smart or not to get rid of him, stupid or not, he's no loss at all.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Lilac2000 said:

Did I hear Jeff call Chrissy "Jessie" during the 2nd reward challenge? When she and Ryan were straggling up the beach I swear he said something like "here come Ryan and Jessie...". 

Also that is possibly the prettiest 3 person jury in forever. With the exception of Desi perhaps not the brightest jury, but definitely very very pretty.

I heard Cressy lol

Just now, ByaNose said:

I think Ben got the winner edit tonight, too. The wife & letter from home is a dead giveaway. LOL!!! I thought Ben and Lauren would make the finals but I’m thinking she goes out before that. Maybe, at Final 5. I’m thinking Ben, Ashley & Devon make the Final 3. I think the jury will recognize Ben’s game over Devon & Ashley. It’s just my guess  and I could totally wrong. For the longest time I thought it would be Lauren in the Final but something is changing my mind and I don’t no why. LOL!!!!

Yeah but Lauren got to comment on her letter home as well including the "everything I am doing is for my daughter" line.  

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Yeah but Lauren got to comment on her letter home as well including the "everything I am doing is for my daughter" line.  

Point well taken. I’m torn. For the longest time, I thought she’d be in the finals and I’ve been second guessing myself. Time will tell.....

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:
4 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

Cole said on twitter that Jeff came over to Cole, Desi & JP after tonight Tribal Council and said they were the most attractive jurors that he has ever seen. 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Why does Devin's body look so much oilier and shinier than everyone else?   It constantly had this sheen of sweat or oil.  I think they are given sunscreen, right?  If so, is he the only one using it? No one else has this constant coating of oil on them.

I'm sure Ryan must be wearing sunscreen.  My husband has that shade of skin (white!).  If he doesn't wear boat loads of sun screen he's lobster red after an hour in the sun and suffers painfully for days.

I'm almost disappointed that the alliance didn't use Mike and Joe again to get the five votes they needed to take Ben out.  Ashley was absolutely right when she said that if Ben gets to the end, he'll win the game.  "Heck, I'd even vote for him." 

Chrissy's joy at winning the IC was pure and contagious.  And I felt sorry for her and Ryan and Mike for missing out on all of the yummy rewards.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, Mike. 

• Love 4

Also that is possibly the prettiest 3 person jury in forever. With the exception of Desi perhaps not the brightest jury, but definitely very very pretty.

Cole said on twitter that Jeff came over to Cole, Desi & JP after tonight Tribal Council and said they were the most attractive jurors that he has ever seen. 

I could watch how Desi's skin glows in the firelight for hours.  I'm so jealous.

I really liked the "invulnerable" IC.  It was hard mentally and physically but didn't depend on strength.

• Love 3

I was so glad when they started the show with everyone saying "why did MIke play his idol?" because it didn't make any sense to me either last week.

Glad Joe is gone, don't care about JP, he was a lump.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, navelgazer said:

I'm almost disappointed that the alliance didn't use Mike and Joe again to get the five votes they needed to take Ben out.  Ashley was absolutely right when she said that if Ben gets to the end, he'll win the game.  "Heck, I'd even vote for him." 

Chrissy's joy at winning the IC was pure and contagious.  And I felt sorry for her and Ryan and Mike for missing out on all of the yummy rewards.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, Mike. 

Chrissy was one arrogant you-know-what for the longest.  Glad she had to taste some humble pie.  I like humility, and I hope it lasts.  I love contestants who are passionate about the show, and it was nice to see her win.

Voice of 1, but I like Joe and Mike.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 5

I'll give Ben this, he didn't overplay his part in the role of double agent. He just kinda played it like he'd been humbled.

I lost a little respect for Joe's gameplay tonight. He totally got duped. I never liked him, but I'm willing to admit he played hard right up until he felt Ben was dethroned, then, he went out like a lamb. I don't love Chrissy, but I'm glad she managed to outlast Joe.

I like Lauren, but I hope she doesn't get to big for her britches 'cause Devon's already there. I'm rolling my eyes every time he and Ashley take one Lauren's ideas and give themselves credit for it in their talking heads. 

Ryan is still a little twerp, and Mike is annoying. 

• Love 13

Well this was just catnip for me, I must say.  I loved these episodes.  Never thought I'd say that this season.  I was hollering at the top of my lungs "NO YOU STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS, VOTE OUT RYAN", but that's actually quite fun too.  (They really should have.  They really, really should have.  He had the idol.  Everyone knew he had the idol.  He didn't know anything, and they knew he didn't know anything, about the blindside.  Send him home with the idol in his pocket when he doesn't expect it, don't let him get scared and ready to play it.  They're actually lucky Chrissy won immunity, because otherwise it could have been a disaster for them.)

Lauren, of course, is the mastermind right now, but Devon is hot on her heels, and Ben is playing very very well too (I loved it when he said "I'm not telling anybody about this idol, because none of these people can keep a damn secret," right after Lauren told Devon and Ashley about her advantage.)  Lauren moved at exactly the right time, although, as I say, she should have targeted Ryan.  She really put that thing together, she is amazing!  God I would love a Lauren win!  This is why I love Survivor, because no writer of fiction would invent a Lauren who was a strategic powerhouse -- she'd have heart, she'd be strong, blah blah, but never strategic, never ready and willing to cut throats and think ahead down the line -- yet here we are, and that is actual reality.  Devon, too, surprisingly amazing -- the Ben double agent idea was fantastic, and using Lauren's advantage to make the "split-vote" a plausible lie was brilliant.  And Ben did very well in the double agent role, salty but still friendly with his "former alliance", fighting with Joe, etc.

I also must put in my lonely voice in favor of Chrissy, who I was so glad to see survive today, on her own merits too, not just because of some split-vote shenanigans or blindside she's not let in on.  Although immunity wins are less cool to me than being in on the vote or playing an idol correctly (an achievement which seems to elude the grasp of more people this season than I can remember ever happening), it's still very respectable.  Don't give up, Chrissy!

And finally, my favorite part, the continual humiliation of my two least favorite players, Ryan and (especially) Mike.  Ohhhh how I loved Mike's edit tonight.  Absolutely delicious.

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Devon's move to make Ben the double agent succeeded in fooling Chrissy and Ryan, but Ben did NOT vote with Chrissy and Ryan (who both voted Ashley, while he voted Joe).  Thus, Ben's time as a double agent was ultimately pointless, because I doubt Chrissy and Ryan will have not noticed that he voted with the other three.

It wasn't pointless I think, because the idea was to get Ryan to waste his idol, and know what they were doing.  (Of course they should have voted out Ryan and his idol in the first place, but since they didn't...)  Now that it's, at worst, 5 to 3 (with Lauren's extra vote and assuming Mike, Ryan, and Chrissy get together -- which will involve more humiliation for Dr. "Screw You Ryan, I'm in the Top 5" Mike), they don't need it anymore anyway.

To me that was the dumbest thing out of Mike's mouth this episode, which is saying something.  In my opinion, if you're Joe and Dr. Mike, you need to flip-flop to the end, and everyone will understand that and not be mad at you for it, since nobody trusted you in the first place.  Buy one get one free!  The Coco-nuts!  Of course they're wild cards, that's how they roll!  It was like everyone is trying to tell Mike what to do and he just refused to listen.  When it gets to that 5, obviously whatever 3 you're with are going to vote out the two of you.  So flip to Ryan and Chrissy and Ben, vote out Devon next.  Are Ashley and Lauren going to re-connect with Ryan and Chrissy to get you out?  And everyone can agree Ben is a big threat, so if you end up in F5 with Ryan, Chrissy, and Ben, you can vote out Ben, and then Joe, and if you're Dr. Mike vs a Chrissy and Ryan who needed you to save their asses, maybe you've got a game there at FTC. Now of course in actual reality it wouldn't have worked because Ben was actually a double agent, another reason Devon's idea was so good.  But that doesn't make being all "WELL YOU WOULDN'T WORK WITH ME" a good idea.

Anyway, it feels like a Lauren, Ben, or Devon win to me at this point, and I would be happy with any of those outcomes.  As long as it ain't Mike or Ryan, as I have said before; and they both seem less likely than even Ashley at this point, so I am pretty pleased.

And isn't it nice that JP already got his boot-episode edit back when Roark went out, so we didn't have to suffer through his talking heads this time?

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Anyway, it feels like a Lauren, Ben, or Devon win to me at this point, and I would be happy with any of those outcomes.  As long as it ain't Mike or Ryan, as I have said before; and they both seem less likely than even Ashley at this point, so I am pretty pleased.

Has anyone ever implemented a secret agent plan like Devon did? That was absolutely brilliant, as was his strategizing on vote-splitting. That being said, Lauren became the frontrunner for me tonight (she'd been quietly growing on me). I also wouldn't mind Ben in the F3. 

Mike, Mike, Mike. SMH. I was hoping for some brilliant strategy to come out of your mouth back from Tribal, but nope. You might just end up at F3 as a goat. Ashley will have to get off the coattails and initiate some smart Big Moves(tm) soon if she wants to be a contender. Right now her best bet would be a F3 against Ryan and Mike. How out of context was her TH "It's my game to lose"? Or was it the alcohol?

Are there gifs of Ryan's and Chrissy's shocked expressions anywhere? That almost made up for a lackluster season so far. I also loved their scrambling to team up with people that they've snubbed, only to get payback. Sweet!!! I'm just hoping that neither rebound enough to use it as part of their resume, and that everyone remembers that Chrissy won immunity and has a higher chance of doing it again than Ryan does. 

• Love 7

Yeah, this was fun. I can occasionally enjoy a season where I don't particularly like anybody or have a rooting interest, provided that the gameplay is engaging. I enjoyed Gen X vs. Ms for that reason.  

I'm guessing a Ben win. I think this was the moment to get him out and now it's too late. He'll use his HI and scrap out a couple late wins to get himself to FTC. And I'm okay with that. I appreciate that his edit is reasonably toned down and other players have gotten a chance to shine at various points of the game. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Brookside said:

Did I just see people being able eat peanut butter after they fell off the triangles? Somehow that doesn't seem right.

No, they didn’t get any. 

6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

How is Ryan so pale after being out in the sun so long?

I think he lays in the shade of their shelter in his downtime. I’ve not seen him move much.

In the second hour when Lauren was talking about taking out Ben, I believe she’s lying to Devon and Ashley. She and Ben are tight, and I do belive she’s setting them up for blindsides later.

• Love 3

I don’t know, Lauren seems pretty ruthless.  Not in a bad way, just that she knows Ben will have to go at some point in order for her to win.

During the foot challenge, the camera panned away to show the whole line of people and it looked like Devon was using his hands to pull at the rope they had had to untie with their feet.  It looked odd but I didn’t save the ep to go back and check.

And then at the end I was glad Lauren picked him because he looked dead on his feet.  Or he was acting that way; if so, kudos to him.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

No, they didn’t get any. 

I think he [Ryan] lays in the shade of their shelter in his downtime. I’ve not seen him move much.

In the second hour when Lauren was talking about taking out Ben, I believe she’s lying to Devon and Ashley. She and Ben are tight, and I do belive she’s setting them up for blindsides later.

I'm amazed the man can stand upright.  He must be burning muscle at this point.

• Love 8

I tend to think that Lauren, Ben, Ashley and Devon moved too soon. They had the numbers in the alliance of 7 and left in two players that are playing hard. The four could have easily voted out Mike and Joe, giving the appearance of the 7 strong alliance, and then taken out Chrissy, Ryan and JP.

That said, Why the hell did they vote out JP? I mean, seriously? He has not won individual immunity. He is not a challenge beast. He is not a strategic beast. So why JP? That was a crappy decision. They should have voted out Chrissy, she is a stronger competitor then Ryan physically and in terms of smarts. She is the bigger threat.

Ryan has no clue that he has totally misplayed the social game, which is kind of fun since he was so into playing the social game.

It sounds like Ryan, Chrissy and JP were a solid three who all made the same mistake, they ignored anyone not in their alliance. Chrissy goes to talk to Lauren and Ryan goes to talk to Mike and they both get the same response. "Now you want to talk to me?" I suspect that the same thing would have been said to JP. Desi pointed to the fact that Chrissy, Ryan, Ben and JP were not approachable for game talk. Based on what Lauren said, Chrissy mucked that up within tthe alliance of 7, although we did see Chrissy talking to Ashley and Ben.

Devon's plan, which was a good idea, to have Ben be the double agent was brilliant and perfect for Ben. Ben maintains the jury votes of Ryan, Chrissy and JP because they think he is on their side and that they are out numbered. Ryan and Chrissy approached the others to try and figure something out and there was nothing there. In their minds, the only ways they stay in the game are too win immunities. Ben really doesn't need to tell them that he flipped on them. Or Ben tells them his role during his final tribal speech and gets their votes for awesome game play.

Devon and Ashley were totally gloating. I don't have a problem with that but it is poor game play for them. I suspect Chrissy and Ryan saw ignoring their victims as being better then gloating and being mean to them after they were voted out. The open gloating is bad sportsmanship. Lauren has handled it far better and is not hurting peoples feelings, beyond voting for JP.

Lauren has played a great game and I would love to see her win but managing Devon and Ashley is going to be hard. Devon had some good game play but is suddenly over playing. Ashley is massively overplaying right now.  Now that they big move has been made, the two of them are looking to make even more big moves and falling into big moveitis. That is dangerous for Lauren and Ben because they have to find a way to reign in their enthusiasm.

I am not counting on Chrissy. I suspect she will do just fine with the puzzles and seems to hold her own in the physical comps. Ryan I think is in trouble. He is not good at the comps and has alienated more people then he realizes.

Mike is an idiot. Ryan and Chrissy called out that Mike and Joe were acting in the way that Mike and Joe blamed Chrissy and Ryan for acting. And Mike and Joe were right, Chrissy and Ryan played a crap social game but going ahead and doing the same damn thing, and saying that they were doing the same damn thing, was amazing. Watching it blow up on them was priceless.

This season is a clear guide on how not to play the social game.

I am enjoying it.

• Love 12

I adore Ben (although Lauren is my favorite) and can't stand Ryan or Chrissy or Mike, so last night was delicious, except that I was scared Ben was going.  But I think the next twist we're going to see is Chrissy's advantage from Episode 1, that Ryan gave her.  She said when she didn't use it that she was saving it to possibly use as a fake idol down the road, and so I expect that to turn up and create havoc.

Fun fun episode.  I rewatched that first tribal a couple of times, just to see Ryan and Chrissy's faces.

• Love 10

Lauren for the win!  Her engineering the breakaway from the 7 was brilliant.  When she won the reward challenge I was cringing, thinking that is the one you don't want to win.  Nothing good comes of choosing 2 or 3 companions on a treat, but Lauren thought it out brilliantly.  (I wonder if she had anticipated this and had planned out a strategy?)  Also very smart was Devon's idea of planting a spy in the Ryan-Chrissy camp to help dislodge Ryan's idol.  Ben played his role well.  I was afraid he was playing so well he'd get himself voted out.  (Funny, this week I liked him again.  It was cute when he jumped up and down on finding the idol.)  Good thing they kept him for now since Joe would have been a dangerous floater.  Poor Mike is still clueless about what happened, so he's good for a back up plan in case Chrissy and/or Ryan win immunity and/or have an idol.

Funny also how Joe started the season as the villain, but morphed into a clownish yet somewhat lovable doofus, tripping over his own feet.  And remember waaaay back when Ashley and JP were considered a power couple?  I don't think she'd spoken to him in weeks.  In fact JP pretty much disappeared from the show, so voting him out instead of Chrissy was a bit disappointing.  

8 hours ago, 303420 said:

EXACTLY. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

I love you.

• Love 9

Great episodes. I actually haven't really found this season boring at all, but last night was really a ball of excitement. What I'm really loving is seeing players I wouldn't have thought much of in the beginning stepping up and making moves. Namely Devon and Lauren. 

I've liked Lauren for awhile now, just because of her no-nonsense attitude and work ethic. And I liked how she defied stereotypes as an older, heavier woman and has done pretty damn well in challenges. So I LOVED seeing her win the RC and use it to take control of the game the way she did. Absolutely brilliant move. I thought she made great picks for her new alliance. I was also just glad to see, for once, people talk about making a big move and then making it. 

Now Devon has always been just kind of a nice guy, pulled along by his early alliance with Ryan. But now he's pissed that Ryan was lying to him and is taking charge of his own game. I loved his idea of having Ben pretend to still be with Chrissy and Ryan, and Ben is really selling it so far. I was down on Ben last week, because his arrogance seemed to be teetering out of control. But this week I liked seeing that he was actually listening to others and not trying to run the show. He seems a bit humbled, and I'm glad he found an Idol. 

Now, my only complaint is - why JP???? If it were me, I would have surely taken out Ryan. They all know he has an Idol. And Ryan didn't suspect a thing. Get him out before he's on to you. I mean, it doesn't matter now, because he got rid of it at the second TC. But I would have gone for him first. Hands down. Break up Ryan and Chrissy. 

I did LOVE seeing the shocked looks on all of their faces as the votes were read. "It's happening when you don't think it's happening". Exactly. 

Likewise, Joe and Mike were getting a bit too cocky about this new "alliance", so it was kind of fun to see Joe booted. I don't know if it was the right move, but they were dumb for thinking this was some tight bond and that they weren't just being used for their votes. But yea, I might have kept them around for one more vote - gotten out Chrissy or Ryan. 

Even though I like Ben, I respected Ashley and Lauren for realizing they might need to cut him loose to even the playing field. But I do think it was probably too soon. That would leave it 3-2-2 in reality. Too much chance of the coconuts swinging back over to Ryan and Chrissy. Too much chance. Better keep 4 strong for another vote. But still......I think a different vote would have been smarter. 

Other random thoughts:

Great swing, Lauren! 

I really liked the foot challenge. I like when they mix it up a bit, it gives other people a chance to win. 

DON'T like it when people sit out at IC for food. They had JUST been on a food reward! Come on....

• Love 13
8 hours ago, djlynch said:

If you're going to catch your own alliance off-guard, take out a big player while they aren't expecting it, not the complete nonentity. Thinking about it more, the only way that makes sense to me is if they were worried that Chrissy and Ryan might both play idols

At that point, even if they both had idols, neither would have played theirs because they were still totally confident in their seven person alliance.  The Lauren alliance only had that one chance to completely blindside one of them and they knew Ryan had an idol so they should have sent him home with it in his pocket.

They also had no reason to think JP was the biggest immunity threat of the three when they've seen how many of the immunity challenges are more about endurance and balance than strength.  Chrissy or Ryan should have gone home.

Now they've been warned and they wont roll over and quit.  Chrissy's immunity win turned on that beaming smile of self-confidence and it was like an infusion of adrenaline mixed with cocaine for her.  Fear the Smug One.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Jextella said:

Voice of 1, but I like Joe and Mike.

I kind of liked their silly Coconuts shtick, but they were not nearly as smart as they thought they were. They were just being used for their votes and were acting like this new alliance so much stronger and unbreakable than the one that came before. It was moronic. 

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Interesting. I didn't think of that, you could be right. Who brought it up first, though? Ashley or Lauren? I could see Lauren just going along with it, but I can't really see any reason for her to bring it up first unless she really wanted it to happen. 

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I don’t know, Lauren seems pretty ruthless.  Not in a bad way, just that she knows Ben will have to go at some point in order for her to win.

Agree. But I might use the term "practical" more so than "ruthless". Lauren has seemed like a no-nonsense player from the beginning. She's not very emotional. She's logical. 

• Love 14

at this point I really hope Lauren wins. (funnily enough, everyone in my survivor pool kept picking her to be a boot lol). but i think she's playing the best game so far. 
Chrissy... honestly, i hope she makes it to the final 3, just so she can be taken down a peg or too. I don't mind her, but there were a lot of times last night I kept going. "Chrissy are you serious?"

which always amuses me how everyone acts the same. 
if you are on top - you tend to be a bit lazier and lord it over others
If you do a big blindside (which JP  was FYI Jeff, for future reference) people act cocky. 
When you are at the bottom you tend to whine and about it 

and you act accordingly. but it's always amuses me when it's your turn to be on the bottom after being on the top how much more "WELL that's just not right!" it is LOL it's just something i keep picking up

• Love 4
8 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

I dunno about the one in the middle lol ? 

https://m.imgur.com/a/p2Fyc

What happened to J.P.'s hair? On the island, it was thick and wavy. Looks like he got it cut after getting voted off, but did he have it straightened as well?

All of a sudden I find Ben hot.  I’m not saying I’m proud of it, but it’s there.

From the first episode, I have always found Ben hot, and tattoos are usually a turnoff for me (it's a generational thing, but particularly when the tattoos appear to be so random). Something about the eyes, his smile, the beard and the curly hair in combination. I'm glad he didn't get voted off.

So, we didn't get a final confessional from J.P., but we also didn't get to see who voted for whom. Anybody know?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, blackwing said:

Why does Devin's body look so much oilier and shinier than everyone else? 

That's his inner light shining through. :) 

5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

It sounds like Ryan, Chrissy and JP were a solid three who all made the same mistake, they ignored anyone not in their alliance. Chrissy goes to talk to Lauren and Ryan goes to talk to Mike and they both get the same response. "Now you want to talk to me?"

Oh, man...I loved watcing Chrissy take a comfortable, relaxed seat next to Lauren, all prepared to have a nice, friendly strategy discussion, while Lauren looked at her like, "I'm sorry, and you are....?"  And kudos to Mike as well for coming right out and telling Ryan "thanks, but no thanks."  Loved it.

4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Now they've been warned and they wont roll over and quit.  Chrissy's immunity win turned on that beaming smile of self-confidence and it was like an infusion of adrenaline mixed with cocaine for her.  Fear the Smug One.

I need this to be the title of the next episode.

Devon, don't scare me again by talking about how wonderful your position is in the game.  That's the Survivor-Foreshadowing edit for the next person going home, and I need you and your light to stick around for awhile.

When JP talked at TC, I had to do a double-take, as statues don't generally come to life and say words.  I swear it's like the second time I've heard him speak.  And is he seriously not giving an exit interview to RHAP??  What's up with that?  I hope Rob has something to say about that.

I was on pins and needles, afraid that Ben was going to overplay his part and someone was going to catch on.

And what is with Probst's weird manner of talking this season?  "Let's get it AWWWN.  Key laaaaam and pecan piaaaaah."  He's been doing it all season.  It's weird and I need him to stop.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I kind of liked their silly Coconuts shtick, but they were not nearly as smart as they thought they were. 

There's a lot of that going around this season, though.  Starting with Chrissy, followed by Ben and Devon.   Waaaayyyyy too confident.

I loved Ryan's comment that things are happening when you don't think they are happening.  Or some sch thing.  I need to rewatch for the quote, because it was spot-on.  Do as I say, not as I do applies here for sure. 

• Love 1

(sigh)  This is coming down to a final 3 of Ryan, Chrissy and Ben.  If that is the actual final 3 then it would be my worst final 3 in Survivor history and I will not even watch the finale.  I cannot get on board with any of them.   Lauren is the only one left I am rooting for.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oh my god Chrissy shut your FACE.

I can’t wait for you to see this and see how much you were played because Joe wasn’t even IN their alliance!  They used him but good.

Devin’s boastful talk at the beginning of the second ep made me soooooo nervous.

I am disappointed that the talking block of wood was sent packing at the beginning.  That was a silly move on their part because Chrissy and Ryan are way more dangerous.

I would have loved to see a split screen with Ryan/Chrissy and Joe/Mike watching this episode and see how they all got played. 

Devon's bragging seems mighty premature and ripe for a schadenfreude-filled exit from the game. He's one member of a 5-person group who formed a new alliance. Admittedly, the idea to leave Ben's involvement out of the public scene was pretty good and I do think that was his contribution. 

But to say things like "they don't know I'm as good at this game as I am" when it's your first time playing and the season's not even over yet? Not a great look if you get bounced next week.

As for the JP boot, I think that was a misstep. That was a golden opportunity to bounce Ryan with the idol in his pocket. Even if they were worried he'd play it, between splitting the votes and/or using Lauren's extra vote, they could have bounced either Ryan or Chrissy. 

The best time to blindside an idol holder is when there's a perfectly routine vote of an outcast planned (i.e., Ozzy's boot in FvF, he was so set with the plan to boot Jason that he never questioned it). And especially in this case when a new alliance was about to burst onto the scene, why not make the biggest splash possible. It's not like it would have hurt their Ben-as-double-agent plan either, the numbers would have stayed the same and he could have been faux outraged at the boot of Ryan or Chrissy.

That said, we can continue to count on Mike being completely clueless while still delusionally believing he's playing a low key great game that's going to pay off any moment now. "I have my alliance of five..." Sure you do, Mike. How this fool didn't realize he simply went from being at the bottom to an alliance of 7 to being at the bottom to an alliance of four is beyond me.

I thought I was kinda rooting for Mike, but those days are definitely over. Annoying and rather stupid, to boot. "A buck late and a dollar short"?? That's what you think that phrase is? Or was that more alleged "comedy"? I'm not sorry at all to see the CocoNuts duo split up. 

So Lauren didn't use her vote like they were telling the others she would. Mistake to tell if you aren't going to do it. There will be some vote counting. Also Ben shouldn't have dropped his act at the end of tribal. I'm glad Chrissy won immunity. I don't think she'll win, I'm in Lauren's camp for that, but I'd like her to get further.

Ben dropped his act? I didn't see that. He celebrated Joe leaving, which made perfect sense for someone who is still (supposedly) in the Chrissy/Ryan alliance, plus he and Joe hated each other, so it was probably genuine happiness to see the back of Joe. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, laurakaye said:

And what is with Probst's weird manner of talking this season?  "Let's get it AWWWN.  Key laaaaam and pecan piaaaaah."  He's been doing it all season.  It's weird and I need him to stop.

I know, right?? "Wanna know whatchyer playin' for?  DO YA??? I'll betcha dooo!!"  After 35 seasons, has he finally gotten bored with the script? Is he drunk?  Does he hate this season so much he feels the need to change it up? Everything's off about him, from his puffy botoxed face to his weird-ass behavior. And that promo where he's staring at us all wild-eyed encouraging folks to apply is just plain frightening, lol.

Edited by kassandra8286
dumbass typos
  • Love 16
35 minutes ago, valandsend said:

From the first episode, I have always found Ben hot, and tattoos are usually a turnoff for me

I'm still curious about what the one under the bandage is, on his right shoulder.  What are they hiding?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

So Lauren didn't use her vote like they were telling the others she would.

Did she say she’d use it last night, or did she just tell them she had one? I honestly can’t remember her saying she’d use it in either tribal council.

6 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I'm still curious about what the one under the bandage is, on his right shoulder.  What are they hiding?

I’m guessing a cut or something that the medics decided needed to be treated.

10 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Someone on another website said there appeared to be dates like "19__ to 2008"; it may have been a memorial tattoo for a buddy, but his family didn't want the name shown as part of a reality TV show.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, kassandra8286 said:

I know, right?? "Wanna know whatchyer playin' for?  DO YA??? I'll betcha dooo!!"  After 35 seasons, has he finally gotten getting bored with the script? Is he drunk?  Does he hate this season much he feels the need to change it up? Everything's off about him, from his puffy botoxed face to his weird-ass behavior. And that promo where he's staring at us all wild-eyed encouraging folks to apply is just plain frightening, lol.

Oh my God, yes! I can't believe I forgot about that. It was so bad at the first reward challenge, I almost had to hit mute.

I'm assuming it's a tattoo that they can't show onscreen. Either profanity or maybe a logo of some sort? 

I also considered that it could be a nicotine patch, but I don't think you're supposed to put those in the same spot every day.

Did she say she’d use it last night, or did she just tell them she had one? I honestly can’t remember her saying she’d use it in either tribal council.

I didn't post that, I'm not sure why it's showing up as my quote, but to answer your question, she did say she was going to use the 2nd vote, but I think it was in the context of convincing Joe and Mike to vote with them. I don't think she was truly promising to use it (in the sense that her alliance expected her to use it), I think that was just the story they were feeding Joe and Mike to keep them calm about plans going their way as long as those guys voted along with them. 

• Love 5

This season has had so many reward challenges, they might as well start calling the game Outdoor Big Brother.  All of the old school Survivor aspect seems to have gone... maybe they needed to do this because it was getting harder for them to cast who they wanted... but the danger of any real hardship seems to be gone this year.

I don't hate Chrissy as much as many do here... she genuinely seems to love the game and her arrogant talking head segments aren't much different than Devon's except hers are paired with a typical alpha personality so they seem much worse.  I think Ben would also be a bad sport if he got burned like she did.  This being said, I don't want her to win because she seems already rich and gotten her way her entire life, but I won't be mortified either.

After viewing the first episode I wouldn't want Dr. Mike anywhere near my junk any more than I'd have a gypsy body repair guy work on my car.  I could see him justifying it by saying, I was paranoid and I didn't want to go home with my idol in my pocket... but acting like it was part of a master plan really made me lose faith in his judgment.  Mike went to Brown and Simone went to Harvard and Columbia... makes you wonder about the Ivy League screening process.  I'm sure they are very bright and good at standardized tests, but I'm amazed at the lack of common sense and emotional intelligence.

Devon is shiny because he has olive skin... his coloring is unusual because you don't normally see it with light colored eyes.

I don't know why people say they dislike the season... I liked almost every player in some way this year except for Cole... and he was great in challenges.  Only thing bad about it was that some good players got booted early, but that's because even people who you'd normally peg as not too sharp actually were.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

He's been talking like that for a few years, but not consistently. "Let's get it AWWWN." "I hear ya', brotha," "burgers with cheeeeese." It's irritating but I've gotten used to it. I was terrified, however, by that weird commercial where his face popped up all Blair Witch Style, and he screamed that he was watching Survivor with me.

1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I thought I was kinda rooting for Mike, but those days are definitely over. Annoying and rather stupid, to boot. "A buck late and a dollar short"?? That's what you think that phrase is? Or was that more alleged "comedy"? I'm not sorry at all to see the CocoNuts duo split up.

The one that got me was, "Joe and I are stirring things up and busting some jokes. We're like Siskel and Ebert." Oh yes, the great comedy duo of Siskel and Ebert. Good grief. I don't think Mike is actually a doctor; I think he's an escaped bubble boy.

I will miss Joe though, and maybe it's just that I liked him, but I don't think he was duped so much as he didn't have any options. When Lauren, Ashley, and Devon came to him and Mike and said to vote JP, they didn't have anything to lose at that point so they went along. And when it panned out, it was reasonable to assume that they were now part of the five. Joe did seem to realize that he was at the bottom of the five, unlike Mike who crowed about being a mastermind and claimed he went from being the jester to being Merlin, as if it were he and not Lauren who'd broken up the alliance of seven.

Devon and Ashley taking credit for Lauren's strategy was also ridiculous. At least Devon came up with Ben's secret agent thing, though if he were really as smart as he thinks he is, he would have been the secret agent because why would he give that level of control and information-gathering to Ben? Ben's positioned now to be a double-agent and stick it to Devon, Lauren, and Ashley (although not voting for Ashley might have messed that up? I'd have to rewatch and see if Jeff read all the votes because Chrissy and Ryan might not know). But Ashley's confessional about how it's her game to lose now was embarrassing. She brings nothing to the alliance except that she'll vote the way she's told. She's still a goat, just a goat in a smaller alliance, and in the end, it comes down to the same thing, which is third place at best.

It pains me to say this, but I predict Chrissy is going to win. The tearful confessional with her mourning, "I hope I get the last laugh," made me think she's getting a Riding High - Humbled - Overcome Adversity - Profit! edit, which makes me want to barf.

Edited by fishcakes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17

Last night was such a delicious meal, course after delicious course!  I loved seeing the over-confident brought down a notch (first Chrissy, Ryan, and JP; then Mike and Joe).  I loved seeing the underestimated rising up in triumph (Lauren, Ashley, Devon; and also Mike and Joe for a time).  I loved the brilliance of the splinter group's schemes, and the patience, confidence, and just downright coolness with which they executed those schemes.   And I loved the two challenges.   I knew Chrissy would win that puzzle, given how hard it was.  Remember in MvGX when they had a similar long word and it took them FOREVER to get it.  It took so long, I think they even did a running chyron of time elapsed.

Lauren FTW, for F's sake!  Talk about knowing when to start moving!  Brilliant!

• Love 15

I am loving this season and these episodes were like eating candy! When Lauren won and picked the Devin, Ashley, and Ben I realized that those were the group I liked and the others were the ones that needed to go. And then Lauren starts setting that in motion! Perfect! I really think Lauren is playing the best - and bragging about it the least - which is exactly the way to go in my opinion.

I loved watching Chrissy count votes on her fingers at TC. Yep, someone did something you weren't expecting - awesome! I knew Chrissy was going to get that word puzzle first, though. Too obscure a word for the others to come up with. I loved Devin's "12 letter words are not in my vocabulary" comment. I was completely down with Ben finding an idol. I would really like to see him keep it a secret but that seems very hard for people to do. So long as he doesn't use it to get rid of Lauren or Devin.

Why does Jeff have to say the same catch-phrases EVERY episode. Is CBS or Burnett worried that some poor one-time watcher is going to tune in for one Challenge and NOT hear "Wanna know whatcher playin for?" and indignantly change the channel? Its pretty ridiculous. It makes him seem stupid and now he seems to be making fun of himself. Haha what a great performing monkey I am!

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Sentient Meat said:

This season has had so many reward challenges, they might as well start calling the game Outdoor Big Brother.  All of the old school Survivor aspect seems to have gone... maybe they needed to do this because it was getting harder for them to cast who they wanted... but the danger of any real hardship seems to be gone this year.

I don't hate Chrissy as much as many do here... she genuinely seems to love the game and her arrogant talking head segments aren't much different than Devon's except hers are paired with a typical alpha personality so they seem much worse.  I think Ben would also be a bad sport if he got burned like she did.  This being said, I don't want her to win because she seems already rich and gotten her way her entire life, but I won't be mortified either.

After viewing the first episode I wouldn't want Dr. Mike anywhere near my junk any more than I'd have a gypsy body repair guy work on my car.  I could see him justifying it by saying, I was paranoid and I didn't want to go home with my idol in my pocket... but acting like it was part of a master plan really made me lose faith in his judgment.  Mike went to Brown and Simone went to Harvard and Columbia... makes you wonder about the Ivy League screening process.  I'm sure they are very bright and good at standardized tests, but I'm amazed at the lack of common sense and emotional intelligence.

Devon is shiny because he has olive skin... his coloring is unusual because you don't normally see it with light colored eyes.

I don't know why people say they dislike the season... I liked almost every player in some way this year except for Cole... and he was great in challenges.  Only thing bad about it was that some good players got booted early, but that's because even people who you'd normally peg as not too sharp actually were.

and this bothers me so much.  I know we always get into the debate in suffer vs. not suffer, who had what when, but i think for a good chunk of the series, from say Seasons 4 to basically 19-22?  - it's been pretty much fend for yourself, and we'll toss you a couple of bones, but it really seems that the "surviving" aspect is gone. and it might be because people don't want to suffer.  but i am not enjoying the big brother-ness. 

• Love 3

I enjoyed Mike and Joe just being silly and annoying he heck out of Chrissy - so I was a tiny bit sad when Joe got the boot.

I had to rewind and watch all the facial expressions at the first tribal - they were all awesome.   Chrissy and Ryan are horrible and it tickled me to see them so blindsided.   Really wished it would have been Ryan instead.

JP must have done something to honk off the editors to get so little screen and TH time.   My oldest grandson has hair like JP's, when he was 4 he would say "I need a hairy cut, my curls are coming out" he really hated it and I would guess JP isn't a fan of the curls either, and sure he was happy to get them chopped at the ponderosa.

I've like Lauren from the beginning and was afraid she wouldn't go far, so happy to see her plotting and planning now.

• Love 7