Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Getting Over Jeff

Spoiler

If I were Rachel I would have killed the person who blurted out the title of the song. Rachel was obviously saying "This is about when Paula met her first love." and not wanting to say anymore. At least Donna Lynne Champlin is so talented it didn't spoil it too much.

• Love 1

Is it just me or was this an uncharacteristically bad episode? I felt like the tone was off (even Rebecca's acting/comedic timing, which is usually brilliant), and a lot of the humor (Josh's infected zit, Paula's annoying dad, even the sexting) felt like cheap sitcom jokes. I still enjoyed it, of course, but it felt a bit underwhelming, particularly after a brilliant three-episode stretch (I still have "A Diagnosis" stuck in my head and the Swimfan episode might be my favorite to date). "My First Penis" was the highlight for me, but I already saw that a couple of days ago, so...

Ugh, can't believe we have to wait another month for new episodes! (it was bad enough we had to wait two weeks for this one!)

• Love 9

I wouldn't call it bad, so much as... it didn't have any scenes or moments that came memorably alive, no high points -- for me. Usually something achieves lift-off and does something memorable that I haven't seen before, but I didn't feel that this time. It just stayed on an OK mediocre level. (I think I have had a lifetime's worth of references to bodily elimination by now, though.)

January 5 is actually way sooner than I expected, so I'm not bothered by the break, which almost all series do now around this time of year. But I remember that in Season 1 CXG returned very late in January, so this isn't so bad.

• Love 2

There were some really good bits in there to prevent this from being bad (like White Josh and Darryl's realistically protracted breakup and the thing with the spoons), but I really, really wish this show would stop being gross. Haven't we all moved on from this kind of Farrelly brothers style humor over a decade ago?

• Love 9

They are doing a seriously romantic overlay with Nathanial / Rebecca. It's mixed messages. Not only does Rebecca only pay lip service to "I shouldn't be in a relationship" but so does the show, while, IMO, encouraging us to want one with her and Nathanial. In the past I've always seen clearly that what Rebecca thinks is going on is not what is actually going on, but in this episode I think the show runners didn't walk the talk. "The First Penis I Saw" was the highlight, and it came in the first 10 minutes of the show.

• Love 2

Is it just me or was this an uncharacteristically bad episode? I felt like the tone was off (even Rebecca's acting/comedic timing, which is usually brilliant), and a lot of the humor (Josh's infected zit, Paula's annoying dad, even the sexting) felt like cheap sitcom jokes. 

You aren't wrong.  It wasn't a good episode.  Everything felt thrown together quickly, and none of it really meshed well.  And am I wrong, or were there times during Rebecca's Shirley Temple-esque song where her voice wasn't syncing with what her mouth was doing on screen.  I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be purposeful, or they simply changed lyrics during the editing process.   

• Love 1

I was not obsessive about studying, but I totally related to Rebecca getting color coded post it notes and bag full of office supplies in order to prepare for her (self-assigned) homework. I can't help it. I love that stuff!

How is it that Scott was practically groveling to Paula a few episodes before and now he's just blowing her off and guilt tripping her because she had the audacity to make breakfast for her family? As for his claim that she treats her family like it's a chore, well, maybe that's because no one in that house does any chores but Paula. Maybe if Scott, Brendan, and Tommy would bother to do their own laundry, buy the groceries, do dishes, etc. then Paula would have more time to spend with them.

I'm pretty sure that my face looked exactly like White Josh's when that pus squirted into Teresa's drink. I'm grossed out again just remembering it now.

I love that even though Heather didn't have many lines in this episode, she had so many great reaction shots to Josh's general dumbassery. So I guess having him work at Home Base is how the show is going to keep him in the plot since he's now Heather's coworker. I loved that Hector, White Josh, and Darryl all had to sit and watch his stupid Tom Cruise impression.

As ridiculous as Josh's storyline was, I liked that it reminded us of Josh's personality. He was so positive and he totally committed to the whole thing. He had no bartending experience and was clearly terrible at flair stuff when Kevin hired him, but he watched a bunch of youtube videos and practiced until he got good at it. Once he figures out what he wants in life, I think he'll be fine if he keeps applying that determination and attitude.

Although I didn't love the friend's dad song, I appreciated the message. It's easy to enjoy the company of your friend's obnoxious relative because you don't have any of that history AND you know that you get to leave.

I loved that all of Paula's Outlander comments paid off with the one at the end about Brad Pitt. Scott's reaction to that was great too - great choice, me too!

I like that Dr. Shin and Rebecca are figuring out how to work with each other. It's good that Rebecca isn't afraid to ask for things she wants, even when they're small things like stickers as rewards. And I like that Dr. Shin sees that giving her a small reward is good for her. I loved those grape scratch and sniff stickers. I can still picture the little purple bunch of grapes that was on it.

• Love 8

We got out of there without Rebecca sleeping with Paula's dad, Paula sleeping with her ex, and any sign of attraction between Heather and Josh. (I assume she's still with Hector, right?). Anyway I'll call that a win.

I think this is the first episode without Josh's name in the title. I wonder if that's supposed to represent a turning point of sorts for  Rebecca. 

• Love 6

I definitely think Josh's name not in the title is a turning point. Her obsession is over. I agree that this episode did remind us of Josh's personality - that he commits 100% to whatever it is and will turn out to be good at it. OTOH what he was in the beginning was a "nice guy" who was warm, good at a bunch of stuff even if that stuff hadn't yet shown a career path (sports, dance, martial arts, computer tech, coaching kids, social media). He had emotional intelligence in social situations such as Rebecca's party when she was new to town, and how he facilitated things at the Scarsdale wedding. He was also evasive emotionally, the kind of guy who, when he gave his attention, made both Valencia and Rebecca feel like glitter was exploding inside, but when they reached out to hold it, they were always left feeling that they kind of missed the last tread on a staircase. When he was dating Anna, he did that silly modeling gig in the club. That seems like a Josh thing - sure I'll model ! - and he needed the boost, but now when they write for him he's much stupider than he started out being. Stupid and immature aren't synonymous.

I agree it felt way more sitcom-y. This episode didn't have much in it. After all the promo and build up for the penis song, the story backing it up wasn't much - and I'm not sure of the point, either. I guess to snap Paula out of her escapism tendencies. The sexting felt like Jane the Virgin. In fact, the entire Nathaniel/Rebecca segment felt like it was lifted straight out of JTV when JTV gets "romantic".  I thought Rebecca's "one step forward, two steps back" arc was going to be more than a one liner joke at the end when she rattled off all she'd done to her therapist.

I get that Paula has been a household drudge, but I also think the show has shown us that Scott has really stepped up since the cheating. The family is different now than it was when they sat around the Thanksgiving table feeling indifferent and staring at their mobile devices. I think Scott is way more of an equal partner than he was when we met them, and his feeling now is, well, is Paula on board or not? I take it on face value that her pancake efforts came after a period of not really being present for her family. I don't mean not doing the chores, but just not being there or showing interest. Meantime Scott has been trying to create family routines where they spend time together. I like that he told her how he felt without doing the "built up anger" that's such a trope. And I like that they were relaxed and sweet when she told him she'd pick him over everyone but Highlander Brad Pitt. :)

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 6

I did have to laugh that Paula's "Josh Chan" is "Jeff Channington".  But all of you are right: this episode was kind of a big nothing, especially for a midseason finale.  Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the show coming back.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think this is the first episode without Josh's name in the title. I wonder if that's supposed to represent a turning point of sorts for  Rebecca. 

It is, and it is. Rebecca realized that Josh is irrelevant, so no more "Josh" in the title of each episode.

I agree with the posters who've said this episode wasn't as powerful or moving as the past few, but I still enjoyed it.  I could have lived without Josh's zitcom, but I'm glad that he finally sees that he can't be a "big boy" anymore.  And while Paula's near-fling with Jeff resolved itself a little too neatly, I did like how she and Scott showed their affection for each other in the end.  The whole Darryl/White Josh conflict has felt forced this season, but I did like how maturely they handled their break-up (with Madison's prodding :)).  I think the most intriguing part was how quickly Rebecca bonded with Paula's dad, when he's been a terrible father to her best friend, and when his values seem so antithetical to hers.  She's so desperate for parental love (we've seen her attach to so many parental figures throughout the show), and it's telling that we haven't seen or heard from Naomi at all since Rebecca's suicide attempt.  It's not clear whether this absence is because Rebecca needs distance from her mother right now or whether Naomi's having a hard time dealing with the trauma of almost losing her daughter again (maybe it's both).  But while it's great that Rebecca is taking slow steps toward accepting herself as imperfect, I think that she ultimately needs to know that Naomi loves her even though she's imperfect.  I wonder if that unconditional acceptance will ever come (which might be an unrealistic "happy ending"), or if it's something Rebecca will have to learn to live without.  Right now, it seems like we're seeing Rebecca and her friends starting to come to terms with their problems and gradually working their ways through them.  I have a feeling that the rest of this season we'll see Rebecca supporting her friends as they all get healthier, but we won't see Rebecca face her deepest issue--the wounds inflicted by her parents--until S4.

Has anyone here seen the movie Lady Bird?  It's very different from CXG in some aspects (the main character is more self-accepting, and the dad is a supportive presence in her life), but the mother-daughter relationship parallels Naomi-Rebecca's in striking ways.  Without spoiling too much, I think Lady Bird does a great job showing how complicated both characters are and how deep that need for acceptance is on both sides.  If anyone else has seen it, I'd love to hear if you think it connects to CXG!

And, um, while I love Rebecca/Nathaniel, more Heather and Hector, please!

• Love 3
On 11/27/2017 at 2:59 PM, DianeDobbler said:

If I were Rachel I would have killed the person who blurted out the title of the song. Rachel was obviously saying "This is about when Paula met her first love." and not wanting to say anymore. 

The preview showed a bit of the song with the title, so it was "spoiled" by the network.

I don't think this was one of the strongest episodes, but I think it sort of echoed that Rebecca's mental state has found some equilibrium, or at least she's not swinging from one extreme to the other anymore, and she's starting to recognize when she does. I also didn't mind that it was Paula-centric, and I loved that Jeff Channington was her Josh Chan. I was relieved she didn't sleep with him.

I wasn't a fan of Rebecca's song with Paula's dad or Josh's staph infection.

Sad that Darryl and White Josh broke up, but kids are a deal breaker. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

How is it that Scott was practically groveling to Paula a few episodes before and now he's just blowing her off and guilt tripping her because she had the audacity to make breakfast for her family? As for his claim that she treats her family like it's a chore, well, maybe that's because no one in that house does any chores but Paula. Maybe if Scott, Brendan, and Tommy would bother to do their own laundry, buy the groceries, do dishes, etc. then Paula would have more time to spend with them.

I think the show has done a good job of indicating that her family does end up practically ignored when she's mid-obsession.  When Rebecca had her breakdown, even though there were other people there who were willing to take care of Rebecca and told Paula she could go home, she didn't.  She stayed. That makes her a good friend but I can't blame her family for figuring out a new routine that they like.  And they probably do feel like a chore the way walking the dog, cleaning the house or taking a phone call from my mom sometimes can when all I want to do is binge my latest favorite TV show. 

4 hours ago, alrightokay said:

The whole Darryl/White Josh conflict has felt forced this season, but I did like how maturely they handled their break-up (with Madison's prodding :)).

It still feels somewhat forced to me.  They better have a plan for this whole thing because I can't imagine why they would go this route as opposed to having them try to have a baby together. 

• Love 4

I'm not surprised Rebecca hit it off with Paula's dad. She hits it off with everybody. She is at home wherever she goes. A reviewer said this about Midge in "Marvellous Mrs. Maisel." but with Midge it comes from unquestioned confidence plus curiosity, IMO. Rebecca meets people at their own level always, shares herself easily, takes a real interest in whatever her surroundings may be, and despite her awareness of the academic hierarchy, isn't a snob. Not sure it was about a parental thing but more like Rebecca herself has some low brow humor and is pretty earthy, so she and the dad could find common ground pretty quickly. Yeah, the song was about her and a no-risk parental figure, but he could have been a dude squatting in the shed out back and I think things would have evolved the same way.

I agree - the show has told us a bunch of times that Paula is pretty checked out at home. What I've seen this season and part of last is Scott really being an equal partner but Paula not quite getting it yet, although she's shown appreciation when she wakes up enough to be in the moment with them. I'm kind of surprised her legal studies didn't help her out of her fantasy life more. Obviously she has an aptitude, obviously she's a successful law student, and she already has client rapport, as we learned when she decided to be out sick and go to the client time share. I always felt she retreated to escapism because her intellect and her talent weren't being used, but now that there's an outlet in law school, I didn't think she'd still be as escapist as she is. I also feel like I've seen her and Scott re-set their relationship and really finally appreciate it at least half a dozen times already.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 3

I'll say it - I didn't like the penis song that much.

It was one joke, repeated over and over. Usually the lyrics to their sillier/dirtier songs are a lot more clever than that.

And the tune was really annoying.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

They were riffing on Mama Mia weren't there? Although not quite deviating the tune quite as much as usual.

Well, at least something Abba-esque.

Bravo to Scott for calling out Paula. She treats everyone but her family as priority, and then she's shocked when they do things without her.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

They were riffing on Mama Mia weren't there? Although not quite deviating the tune quite as much as usual.

Oh yeah, I was singing lyrics to it in my head as they went. Maybe it's because I'm much more familiar with the ABBA catalog than most of the music they reference, but it really didn't feel like the melody got far from the inspiration this time.

I think my local CW affiliate censored the episode. The thing with Josh's acne apparently skipped the gross(est) part; it cut at him trying to pop it in the mirror, then later picked back up with a bandage on his face talking to Heather about it. Did they have the woman who was flirting with him notice and flee in disgust?

Edited by Bruinsfan
50 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Did they have the woman who was flirting with him notice and flee in disgust?

It got pretty big and white. Heather told him it looked like a staph infection. The woman he liked came back, and Josh offered her a drink. She also said it was a staph infection (she was a nurse). Josh was trying to do a bartending trick and dropped a shaker. The shaker hit him in the face and popped the zit. The pus landed in her drink. That's when she fled in disgust (and horror).

I actually felt that this was a very good episode, but then again I'm used to feeling out of step on this show's board.  Maybe it's because I'm old.  I don't know.

What I liked about it was that for once it literally felt like we were out of "La la land" in more ways than one.  Rebecca's therapist put it into perspective that C+ is actually good, and this episode was like one big C+, the way real life is, not the exaggerated way Rebecca's life was before hitting rock bottom.  Hitting it off with Paula's father was not exactly the healthiest of escapes, but in the scheme of Rebecca's craziness, it was a hell of an improvement.  Plus we got an insight into why Paula is so drawn to Rebecca - She is a lot like her own father except with validation!  Maybe he's a "borderline" too!

I also liked Paula's resolution of her own past so that she can reframe her marriage.  I once had a similar experience and came away feeling quite resolved.  I met "the one that got away" at a reunion and by the time the night was through I was the one turning HIM down.  It was a bit of unfinished business and "what ifs" that I carried around for close to 30 years!  I think this is significant for Paula's growth as a person plus it will help her finally appreciate her husband in a way that she admitted she hadn't because of this old BF.  In a way, Paula has done in one episode what it has taken almost 2 seasons for Rebecca to accomplish - getting over her own Josh Chan.

In light of the women's growth, Josh is looking even more pathetic with his hyperfocusing on the bartending.  We all know that he's headed for his very own breakdown one day.

Only one minor real world nitpick - In the food market Paula is buying Vodka.  In New York State it is illegal to sell hard liquor in food markets.  It can only be sold in proper separate liquor stores.  But I can forgive them that.  I thought this episode did very well at combining the comedy with some real serious growth.

• Love 11

The liquor laws in NYS are so byzantine and odd. I'm always startled when I go back to Wisconsin, where I'm from, and see the hard liquor display at the Piggly Wiggly. It's almost as extensive as my local NYC liquor store, LOL. And yet in NYS, it was only in the past few years that liquor stores have been allowed to be open on Sundays. They still can't be open seven days a week, though. And there are inexplicable rules about chain liquor stores. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

They were riffing on Mama Mia weren't "here? Although not quite deviating the tune quite as much as usual.

Not just the song, but the video.  Have to admit I got a good laugh over all the products on the shelves being named "Jeff!".

I just noticed that Madison is Duke from Better Things.

I feel Paula on the Outlander thing...I'm just waiting for my chance to go through the stones too.

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The liquor laws in NYS are so byzantine and odd. I'm always startled when I go back to Wisconsin, where I'm from, and see the hard liquor display at the Piggly Wiggly. It's almost as extensive as my local NYC liquor store, LOL. And yet in NYS, it was only in the past few years that liquor stores have been allowed to be open on Sundays. They still can't be open seven days a week, though. And there are inexplicable rules about chain liquor stores. 

It's the same in Virginia.  We can buy wine and beer in grocery stores, convenience stores, and gas stations, but can only buy hard liquor from the state-run ABC stores - and we've only been able to buy it on Sundays since 2004.

• Love 1

I teared up during Paula and Scott's talk over pie at the end. What they've done with that relationship is as interesting as any of Rebecca's relationships, which is really cool. And I'm glad someone is telling Paula that she gets too involved in Rebecca's life, she need her own (and glad Rebecca echoed that).

I kind of wish there had been a scene showing Josh and Bar Owner Guy making up since the last time they were together, he kicked Josh out of the bar.

And fun to see Vincent Rodriguez pulling out his old bartending flair skills for this episode!

Edited by niklj
  • Love 1

One of my main takeaways from this one: Okay, show; I am slowly warming up to Nathaniel. They have been writing him as less of a jerk, with more depth and feelings. He's okay in small doses.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, niklj said:

I teared up during Paula and Scott's talk over pie at the end. What they've done with that relationship is as interesting as any of Rebecca's relationships, which is really cool.

BTW, not that anyone cares, but I have the teal colored top Paula was wearing in that scene.  It's from Kohls, LOL.

• Love 2

I dont think this was exactly a bad episode, but as a mid season finale, it was just kind of...there. It didn't really feel like a finale of a big moment in the story, and it didn't have any super memorable moments, it just happened, and then I was like "well, that was certainly a thing I watched." and not much else. Not bad or anything, just kind of a weird note to end on. 

I liked the acknowledgement that Paula tends to treat her family like a chore, and is constantly trying to find something more "interesting" to obsess over. The more I think about it, the more I think a lot of the issues she was having in the first season with her family (distant husband, bratty kids) were partially her fault, as well as theirs. Apparently Rebecca is just the latest in a long line of obsessions, and excuses not to be with her family. Granted, Scot cheating was totally on him, but this does add some more context to it. Their conversation at the end was really sweet. 

Joshes plot was super gross (like, I had trouble watching), but I liked him and Heather getting some interaction, and Heather giving him some advice, despite how mad they've all been at Josh lately. This was a good Josh plot, and quite in character for him. He gets super excited about something, then keeps going and going hard on it until things inevitably fall apart because he didn't really think about it. Its basically how his relationship with Rebecca went.

White Josh and Darryl breaking up was pretty sad, but at least they were both mature about it. I still feel like the baby stuff was kind of rushed to get them to break up though. I feel like they literally borrowed this plot from another show I`m watching right now. Or maybe they other show did. Its confusing.  

I swear, I was living in terror that Rebecca would sleep with Paula's dad. 

• Love 4
On 12/9/2017 at 8:59 PM, mrsbagnet said:

It got pretty big and white. Heather told him it looked like a staph infection. The woman he liked came back, and Josh offered her a drink. She also said it was a staph infection (she was a nurse). Josh was trying to do a bartending trick and dropped a shaker. The shaker hit him in the face and popped the zit. The pus landed in her drink. That's when she fled in disgust (and horror).

Wow, making a nurse run away in disgust over a body fluid is really overachieving! I think she may be in the wrong career. (Though I totally get it destroying any attraction she may have felt for Josh—she HAS to be used to seeing much worse on the job.)

• Love 1

I haven't seen a proper "liquor store" in forever. The "wine stores" around here in Brooklyn are open seven days a week, obviously that includes Sunday. Most sell liquor - the basic brands of bourbon, vodka, rye, scotch, etc., and of course some "locally sourced." stuff. Not beer though. There's a discount "wine and liquor" store about a mile and a half away off the expressway, and it, too, is open on Sunday.  What I understand from one of the store owners is they are legally obligated to be closed Xmas day. We used to have the worst and most restricted laws, and even now, wine can't be sold in a grocery or convenience mart the way it can in other places, which is annoying.

I really don't see Josh as headed for a breakdown. I think he's a character that the writers take the easy way out with. His best episode this season was when Rebecca was stalking him/haunting him. I can only put him together from what we've seen. He's an underachiever in a high achieving, successful family. His family kind of rolls their eyes at him - remember when he told them he was going to ask for a raise first day back at work and they just made faces instead of saying bad idea? I mean his father said it, but sarcastically, expecting it to go over Josh's head, which it did. I think I remember his mother being happy he was home, but some of what we're shown just feels incomplete somehow. He's the son, but they don't seem especially concerned that he has no direction, they seem aware that he's an underachiever but are also, hey, sure, live at home until whenever. 

I have theories about the writing for Nathanial but I have to kind of sort that through.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's also context: It's one thing to see a staph infection in a hospital/clinic/doctor's office, but at a bar, and then in your drink? I'd run away, too!

Also, that staph infection was WAY advanced. That looked like over a week of infection, not an afternoon. By that point he should have been running a high fever and in so much pain he couldn't talk. Most people would have come into the doctor before it got that bad. (Not all people--there are some crazy folks out there--but most).

By comparison, I had an infection about 1/4 that size on my leg once and it seriously hurt to walk until it was treated. 

On 12/10/2017 at 3:44 AM, Snarklepuss said:

BTW, not that anyone cares, but I have the teal colored top Paula was wearing in that scene.  It's from Kohls, LOL.

Ha! The episode when she and the family play the fairy game, I also have the butterfly top she's wearing. Also from Kohl's. I giggle everytime I see it in my closet or wear it.

I have no idea why I find it endlessly hilarious, but I do. ;)

• Love 1

White Josh and Darryl breaking up was pretty sad, but at least they were both mature about it. I still feel like the baby stuff was kind of rushed to get them to break up though. 

I'm glad they broke up. I never bought that relationship to begin with.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, appledown said:

Ha! The episode when she and the family play the fairy game, I also have the butterfly top she's wearing. Also from Kohl's. I giggle everytime I see it in my closet or wear it.

I have no idea why I find it endlessly hilarious, but I do. ;)

I'll have to go back and watch that scene to see that top.  I also have no idea why I find this hilarious but I do too!  I think the Jacket she was wearing over my Kohls top was also from Kohls and it made me think "hmmm, I never thought of pairing that color jacket with that top".  I'm always noticing clothes and stuff on TV shows that I happen to own.  OT, but Howard and Bernadette on "Big Bang Theory" have a napkin holder in their kitchen that I bought at Walmart.  It has made a very cheap purchase seem quite special somehow.  I know, I need to get out more!

• Love 1

More than once, Donna Lynne Champlin has responded to questions about things Paula wore (on her Twitter feed) by telling where to buy it. (Like the dress she wore to sing "His Status Is Preferred" in Season 1, which was bought at Macy's, and she said they don't sell it online and you have to go to the store.)

• Love 1

As someone from Buffalo, I didn't love the two establishing shots and then incorrect liquor store gaffe mentioned above. Our liquor stores have wine and hard alcohol, but beer is sold in grocery/pharmacies/gas stations. I thought for all the mention of Paula being from Buffalo and actually having her visit that there might be one in joke or attention to detail in script that people from the region would get, but nothing.

I did really like "First Penis I Saw." It reminded me of Abba and Mama Mia right away.

• Love 2

One of the highlights of this episode for me was Heather's look of bewilderment as Josh's "cocktail" routine impressed the pretty nurse. With no words whatsoever, Heather seemed to be saying quite clearly "I can't believe this kind of cheesy act really seems to work with women, especially intelligent women like this nurse. I'm appalled that Josh is doing this, but even more appalled that this nurse is falling for it.”

Edited by ahpny
  • Love 2