Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Doctor: Spoiler Thread

Jazz
  • Start Topic

I hope this is ok to start. I didn't see one, and didn't think the Media Thread was the right place.

Apparently one of the original cast is leaving. One of the doctors is going at midseason in a controversial way and that will be dealt with in the second half. But it may not be permanent. ? I had two thoughts. Glassman, if it's not permanent he could be ousted as president. Then somehow come back. Then Melendez's fiancé (don't remember her name). But she's not a doctor.

Edited by Jazz
50 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Apparently one of the original cast is leaving. One of the doctors is going at midseason in a controversial way and that will be dealt with in the second half. But it may not be permanent. ? I had two thoughts. Glassman, if it's not permanent he could be ousted as president. Then somehow come back. Then Melendez's fiancé (don't remember her name). But she's not a doctor.

Is there a link for this?  I'd like to read it.  TIA

I'm thinking it might be Andrews since Hill Harper has that other show he hosts on HLN. On the other hand, during one scene in the latest episode I found myself wondering if Antonia Thomas might be pregnant. She was wearing a peplum top that tented over her belly. Strange wardrobe choice for a doctor on duty and not the usual scrubs one might expect.

Edited by orza

Somebody on another site suggested that, the way that spoiler is phrased, when they say that one of the full-time doctors will check out, that doesn't necessarily mean they/the actor is actually leaving the show for real. For all we know, it could mean that one of the doctors quits/is fired for some reason (hence the "controversial exit"), and then something will happen that will bring them back into the fold down the line.

I'm hoping that's what they actually mean by that, because I'd hate to permanently lose any of these characters, especially this early in the game. 

• Love 1

The show is set in the hospital and all the action takes place there. It makes no sense to introduce a disconnected story line for one character that has nothing to do with the rest of the show. This sounds like an actor is leaving and it is up in the air whether the actor will return, so something like needing time off to fulfill a prior contractual commitment, devote oneself full-time to family in a time of need or maternity leave.

7 hours ago, Jazz said:

Snarkytart- http://tvline.com/2017/11/17/the-good-doctor-season-1-spoilers-fired-leaving/

It includes spoilers for other shows. So only read the first question.

Thank you!  Whatever/whomever it may be, I wish it wasn't happening.  The cast has really begun to gel for me and I like them all.  My guess would be Antonia Thomas (Claire) out on maternity leave.  Thinking that the producers would have had at least a little heads up about that.  It could account for what might be some foreshadowing of Claire either needing a medical leave, or being forced into one, due to losing a patient by her mistake.

• Love 2

I think what is being discussed in this thread might be referring to this:

Question: Now that Dr. Kalu has been fired on The Good Doctor, does that mean we’ve seen the last of Chuku Modu? I hope not. —Jason
Ausiello: Oh, he’s returning — and not alone. Next time you see the M.D., he’ll be accompanied by his lawyer.

TVLine

• Love 1

Next two episode descriptions:

"Islands Part One" -

Dr. Marcus Andrews enlists Dr. Neil Melendez on a very sensitive kidney transplant between a pair of twins whose lives intersect in more ways than one. Meanwhile, overwhelmed by Dr. Aaron Glassman's attempts to have him meet with a therapist and the demands at work, Dr. Shaun Murphy decides to take an impromptu trip with his friend Lea and leave everything behind, on "The Good Doctor,"

MONDAY, JAN. 8 (10:01-11:00 p.m. EST)

"Islands Part Two" -

The twins suffer complications from their surgery forcing the team at San Jose Boneventure Hospital to make a life-changing decision. Meanwhile, Dr. Shaun Murphy returns to the hospital after his trip with Lea and decides he needs a more permanent change and gives Dr. Aaron Glassman his two weeks' notice, on "The Good Doctor,"

MONDAY, JAN. 15 (10:01-11:00 p.m. EST)

Anything “good” on my new favorite The Good Doctor? —Em
Well, it’s good for Antonia Thomas but pretty darn lousy for her alter ego, Claire. The ABC hit is readying a meaty arc for Dr. Shaun’s maybe-crush via the arrival of her bipolar mom. When we’re first introduced to mum, she’s bounding into San Jose St. Bonaventure on a manic high, which is followed by a massive emotional crash… which itself is followed by a very painful discussion between mother and daughter.

Above from TV Line - Matt's Inside Line

They've touched on her background in the past few episode and bringing her mother in will bring it all to the forefront. The description above reminds me a bit of ER with Abby's mother. I'm happy we will be seeing more story/depth for Claire. I think Antonia is terrific and am excited to see her in such an emotional storyline.

• Love 2

I need a spoiler that says that the neighbor gets arrested or bested by Shaun.. you know he shows up and Shaun has his friends over and shuts the door in his face....after taking back his television and changing his locks 

• Love 9

I wish they hadn't shown that moment of Shaun saying "I love you" to Glassman in the preview for next week. That seems like an especially big thing for Shaun to say, so I wish they hadn't given it away. It would have been a huge surprise to me. (As it was, I teared up just hearing him say it.)

• Love 1

Shame to hear that about Modu. I liked Jared, and wanted to see what else they could've done with him next season. Hopefully it was his choice and he just wanted to go on to do other stuff-wishing him well, and maybe we can see him again someday. 

I'm cool with the rest of the casting news, though. I know Morgan's a polarizing character, to put it mildly, but I think there's potential for her, so I'll be curious to see what they can do with her next season. And I like the characters the other three play, so I'm thrilled to hear they'll be sticking around (or in Spara's case, returning). Maybe Lea can move back into her old apartment :D. That'd be nice. 

• Love 1

Yippee that the actress who plays Lea is now a regular.  She can hopefully kick Kenny's sorry butt out of her apartment.

However, I'm most unhappy about losing Jared.  The actor had a lovely British accent, and I was intrigued by Jared's backstory.  Unlike Resnick, Jared came from money without being an ass.

I'm also disappointed that we're officially stuck with Resnick.  She's just a pain in the ass bitch.

• Love 7

Just heard about the changes.  I'm actually a little bummed about Jared.  He wasn't my favorite, but I was kind of digging the relationship between him and Shaun.  Hopefully Chuku Modu will find another gig soon, if he hasn't already.  

Mixed emotions on the new regulars.  Glad for more Lim and even Park (mainly due to Will Yun Lee), but I'm not sure if I'll ever warm up to Resnick and for Lea, it depends on which Lea we get: the cool one or the one that decided it would be a brilliant idea to go on a road trip and allow someone who has never driven before to drive on the freaking road.

• Love 5

Damn, I grew to like Jared on the show. It's such a shame, but no surprise. They set up his departure in the finale, so hopefully he'll at least get to do one final guest appearance at some point. 

I also have mixed emotions on the new regulars. Lea was a character I actually grew to like (and even more when we saw what her replacement was like), so I'm cool with Paige coming back as a regular. Park is more of a mixed bag, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with his issues with separating his past cop life with his current doctor life. I imagine a lot of trouble coming out of it. I'm glad for more Lim as well, so good for Christina Chang for getting promoted. However, Reznick? No thank you. I'm not looking forward to how they soften her up in order for me to like her. She's irritating and I don't need her as a regular. However, I suspected they would, indeed, promote her, so I guess I'll have to suffer through her. 

At least Shaun has Lea. I'm always happy for a non-medical character on these shows. It provides a sense of realism, that there is a life outside of the hospital. Plus, I know Lea was polarizing, but I think I loved her mostly with how normally she treated Shaun. She made a lot of mistakes, but she never treated him like anything other than a person. 

• Love 5

Meh I'm not surprised on Jareds story ending but I am disappointed. The lack of interest in the character from mid season onwards was glaring especially after they brought on the ever annoying Parks and Reznick. I wish they would have had him redeem himself with the other doctors as I hated that they all turned on him.

• Love 4

I am not sure about Lea as a regular.  As a permanent love interest for Shaun I would want someone different.  Maybe the actor is hard to work with?  I am not sure why they decided to replace Jared because it was not to make the cast smaller, and he certainly was not demanding a salary worth two people.  I wonder if there was a focus group or something that helped make that determination?    I wonder if Marsha Thomson will still be on.  They should have cut Melendez' girlfriend instead of Jared? 

I too hope Jared gets a "guest" spot.  Even though I guess we are left to assume he lived happily ever after with fish girl at his new job I find it hard to swallow that he could not be forgiven for what he did but Shaun could potentially be responsible for physically doing something to a patient and obviously everyone is o.k. with that. 

• Love 2

Every drama has to have a protagonist and an antagonist.  We know who the protagonist would be.   I realize that Lea is returning, but...

If you were in charge, who would you choose to STAY as the antagonist?  Kenny or Reznick?     

Season premiere press release:

CHANGE ISN’T ALWAYS WELCOME, BUT IT IS INEVITABLE, ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF ABC’S ‘THE GOOD DOCTOR,’ MONDAY, SEPT. 24

Lisa Edelstein Guest Stars as Dr. Marina Blaize

“Hello” – Shaun’s (Freddie Highmore) proposed treatment for a homeless patient puts him and Jared (Chuku Modu) in Andrews’ (Hill Harper) crosshairs. Meanwhile, Claire (Antonia Thomas) tries to overcome Melendez’s (Nicholas Gonzalez) reluctance to do a risky heart operation while Glassman (Richard Schiff) must overcome his personal feelings about his oncologist, Dr. Marina Blaize (guest star Lisa Edelstein), and face a difficult decision about his health, on the season premiere of “The Good Doctor,” MONDAY, SEPT. 24 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

“Hello” was written by Freddie Highmore and directed by Mike Listo.

I don't really follow spoilers, etc. for this show, but I thought I would have heard about Highmore writing an episode!

• Love 2

I've seen a couple mentions of him writing an episode here and there, but yeah, pretty low-key announcement overall. I also read somewhere that he'll be directing an episode this season as well. I'm excited for both, 'cause he wrote and directed on "Bates Motel", too, and did a great job with it. I'm especially curious to see how he'll handle going from writing for such a creepy show to writing for a medical drama :D. 

• Love 4

I didn't mind her, myself-I would've liked to see more exploration of her relationship to Glassman, as well as see her and Shaun bond a little more. She more than anyone would best understand Shaun's strong, personal connection to him, and it would've been nice to see them support and talk to each other as they dealt with the issues surrounding Glassman and his illness. So for that reason alone, it's a shame to see her go.

Still, hopefully she, like Modu, will get a good exit. 

• Love 3

I am not surprised. The show was getting crowded with the four new regulars.  They made no effort to create any storyline just for her last season, her only involvement was as a satellite to Melendez and to a lesser extent Glassman.  They broke her and Melendez up, so there goes that connection.  And they seem to be moving Glassman into a new direction. And honestly her past  with Glassman's dead daughter felt like it was just a writer's ruse to give her something else to be part of. 

Having said all that, it does puzzle me why they chose to have Lea come back and make that actress a regular. But that could just me my bias speaking, because I found Lea as a character to be very much a 'tv character' character who is given a bunch of plot necessary traits, rather than someone who feels like a real person.

• Love 7

2.02 description:

YOU HAVE TO TELL THE TRUTH EVENTUALLY ON ABC'S 'THE GOOD DOCTOR,' MONDAY, OCT. 1

"Middle Ground" - As Shaun pushes back against Dr. Melendez in order to treat a gravely ill hospital janitor and deal with the return of Lea, Dr. Lim risks a lawsuit and her career to help a teenage girl repair the damage caused by an archaic custom. Meanwhile, Dr. Glassman exercises demanding oversight with Dr. Blaize in choosing a doctor for his brain surgery, on the "The Good Doctor," MONDAY, OCT. 1 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

Guest starring is Lisa Edelstein as Dr. Marina Blaize and Necar Zadegan as Dr. Jordan Ko.

so Hill Harper gave an interview saying that a scene was cut where Andrews offers Jared his job back. He also said that chuku was in Vancouver shooting another series. I think Freddie Highmore did an amazing job writing this episode.  Can't wait to see where he goes from here and I hope that he can at least do a guest episode.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

He also said that chuku was in Vancouver shooting another series.

Figured it was something like this that explained his leaving the show-good to see he's lined up a new gig. He'll be missed on "Good Doctor", but yeah. Wishing him luck with this new series, then!

What is odd to me is that he has said nothing about what he's up to. There's even a rumor that he has some type of role in the new Captain Marvel movie. I just find it strange that Hill Harper would say that when the actor himself is not giving any information about his future plans

2.03 description:

"36 Hours" - Dr. Melendez, Dr. Brown and Dr. Park have given a young married couple two choices about their future: save the wife's life or their future ability to start a family. Meanwhile, when Dr. Lim has to take care of some personal business, she leaves oversight of the emergency room to Dr. Murphy and Dr. Reznick; and Dr. Glassman's post-op recovery leaves him struggling to get the rest he needs for recovery and also confronting his relationship with his daughter, on "The Good Doctor," MONDAY, OCT. 8 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

Guest starring is Teryl Rothery as J.L., Liza Lapira as Nurse Ann Flores, Alvina August as Nurse Paikin, Elfina Luk as Nurse Dalisay Villanueva and Holly Taylor as Maddie Glassman.

• Love 1

No actual new info, but here's the next episode description:

MIDSEASON RETURN

THE TEAM FIGHTS FOR CONTROLLED CHAOS ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF ABC'S 'THE GOOD DOCTOR,' MONDAY, JAN. 14

"Quarantine Part Two" - In the midseason return, the hospital is still in quarantine as Dr. Shaun Murphy continues to be overwhelmed by the chaos and noise in the emergency room; Dr. Morgan Reznick struggles to keep her patients alive, and Dr. Audrey Lim fights for her life. Meanwhile, Dr. Neil Melendez and Dr. Claire Browne must find a way to complete their patient's bone marrow transplant, despite the quarantine, on "The Good Doctor," MONDAY, JAN. 14 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

The series stars Freddie Highmore as Dr. Shaun Murphy, Antonia Thomas as Dr. Claire Browne, Nicholas Gonzalez as Dr. Neil Melendez, Hill Harper as Dr. Marcus Andrews, Richard Schiff as Dr. Aaron Glassman, Tamlyn Tomita as Allegra Aoki, Christina Chang as Dr. Audrey Lim, Fiona Gubelmann as Dr. Morgan Reznick, Will Yun Lee as Dr. Alex Park and Paige Spara as Lea.

Guest starring is Dan Byrd as Tyler Durnes, Elfina Luk as Nurse Villanueva, Karin Konoval as Nurse Deena Petringa, Ricky He as Kellan Park and Jennifer Birmingham Lee as Mia Wuellner.

"Quarantine Part Two" was written by Simran Baidwan and Mark Rozeman, and directed by Mike Listo.

• Love 1

2.12 episode description:

IT'S TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF ABC'S 'THE GOOD DOCTOR,' MONDAY, JAN. 21

"Aftermath" - In the aftermath of the quarantine, the staff of San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital tries to return to their normal routines as the Department of Public Health office decides they need to review what transpired to restore public confidence. Meanwhile, as Dr. Audrey Lim (Christina Chang) recovers from the virus, she and Dr. Neil Melendez (Nicholas Gonzalez) navigate their new personal and working relationship, while Dr. Shaun Murphy (Freddie Highmore) and Dr. Aaron Glassman (Richard Schiff) try to relax and visit Lea (Paige Spara) at work, on "The Good Doctor," MONDAY, JAN. 21 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

The series stars Freddie Highmore as Dr. Shaun Murphy, Antonia Thomas as Dr. Claire Browne, Nicholas Gonzalez as Dr. Neil Melendez, Hill Harper as Dr. Marcus Andrews, Richard Schiff as Dr. Aaron Glassman, Tamlyn Tomita as Allegra Aoki, Christina Chang as Dr. Audrey Lim, Fiona Gubelmann as Dr. Morgan Reznick, Will Yun Lee as Dr. Alex Park and Paige Spara as Lea.

Guest starring is Sharon Leal as Breeze Brown, Jennifer Birmingham Lee as Mia Wuellner, Ricky He as Kellan Park, Cheryl White as Carmen Dunn and Garfield Wilson as Carnell Hunter.

"Aftermath" was written by Thomas L. Moran and directed by Dawn Wilkinson.

Claire isn't mentioned in the summary, but her mother is back, according to the guest cast list. Park's son is also back.

So they're really going for a Melendez/Lim romance?

• Love 2

https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-good-doctor-daniel-dae-kim-recur-abc-medical-drama-cast-chief-of-surgery-freddie-highmore-1202530817/

The Good Doctor executive producer Daniel Dae Kim is stepping in front of the camera on the popular ABC medical drama.  The former Hawaii Five-O co-star is set for a key recurring role on The Good Doctor, from Sony Pictures TV and ABC Studios. Kim will play SPOILER ALERT Dr. Jackson Han, a brash new Chief of Surgery at St. Bonaventure. Dr. Han’s arrival will shake things up at St. Bonaventure and specifically put Dr. Shaun Murphy’s (Freddie Highmore) career in jeopardy.

Kim will make his debut in Episode 15 (See photos of him in character above and below the story), and has been booked to appear in the last four episodes of the 18-episode second seasons, one of them directed by The Good Doctor star Freddie Highmore. There is no word whether Dr. Han would stick around beyond that but that is considered a possibility.

Kim’s character adds a new wrinkle to The Good Doctor‘s recent storyline, in which Melendez and Lim competed to succeed Andrews as Chief of Surgery only for Andrews to announce that he would be retaining the title in addition to his new responsibilities as hospital president.

• Love 1

Hmmm. Sounds like a very interesting storyline setting up there. That's cool that he's getting a chance to be even more involved in the show. 

And I'm looking forward to Highmore directing, too :). 

• Love 2

Richard Schiff posted a picture on twitter of the the two chairs for himself and his IRL wife Sheila who plays Debbie Wexler.  Sounds like this is not about the previous episodes and it's getting pretty close to the end of the series filming in Vancouver.  I wonder if this newfound lease of life brings Glassman back to Debbie and I wonder if this is the end of his arc.  Maybe he'll end up helping Shaun at the tribunal, closing off from his first impassioned speech in episode 1 and go traveling with Debbie in an old Merc.

Edited by doctor destiny
  • Love 1

2.13 and 2.14 episode descriptions:

RELATIONSHIPS ARE COMPLICATED ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF ABC'S 'THE GOOD DOCTOR,' MONDAY, JAN. 28

"Xin" - Dr. Shaun Murphy, Dr. Morgan Reznick and Dr. Audrey Lim treat a woman with autism and a delicate brain condition while navigating the complicated relationship she has with her roommate, who is also on the spectrum. Meanwhile, Lea and Shaun are still figuring out their friendship and roommate status on "The Good Doctor," MONDAY, JAN. 28 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

<>

Guest starring is Jennifer Birmingham Lee as Mia Wuellner, Vered Blonstein as Lana Moore, Alex Plank as Javier Maldonado, Emily Kuroda as Sunny Lee, Sheena Chou as Teresa Moon and Vedette Lim as Grace Lee.

"Xin" was written by Brian Shin and directed by David Straiton.

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO ASK THE HARD QUESTIONS ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF ABC'S 'THE GOOD DOCTOR,' MONDAY, FEB. 4

"Faces" - Dr. Andrews tries to convince a grieving family to donate their teenage daughter's face to another young girl whose face was horribly disfigured in an accident, on "The Good Doctor," MONDAY, FEB. 4 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

<>

Guest starring is Chloe Csengery as Molly, Bronwen Smith as Lori, Kurt Evans as Dean and Lilli Birdsell as Shannon Tindle

"Faces" was written by David Hoselton and directed by Allison Liddi-Brown.

• Love 2

THE TRUTH HURTS ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF ABC'S 'THE GOOD DOCTOR,' MONDAY, FEB. 18

"Risk and Reward" - Shaun's blunt honesty with a distraught mother of a critically ill newborn baby causes the new chief of Surgery (Daniel Dae Kim) to question keeping him on as a resident, on "The Good Doctor," MONDAY, FEB. 18 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

Guest starring is Daniel Dae Kim as Dr. Jackson Han, Robyn Lively as Diane Monroe, Peter Benson as Nigel Monroe, Ravi Kapoor as Minesh Goyal and Joe Adler as Larry Childs.

"Risk and Reward" was written by Liz Freidman and David Renaud, and directed by Freddie Highmore.

• Love 2