Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: 3AM

Title sequence and music were great.

I thought this episode was a little slow but necessary to start the show. I was confused about the whole Frank Castle is dead thing. Was that from Defenders because I don't remember him being "dead" at the end of Daredevil S2.  

I loved the ending, great fight sequences.

• Love 2
On 17/11/2017 at 0:47 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought this episode was a little slow but necessary to start the show. I was confused about the whole Frank Castle is dead thing. Was that from Defenders because I don't remember him being "dead" at the end of Daredevil S2.  

Frank Castle is "dead" to the wider story as of that drug boat blowing up in 2.11 ".380"

Karen thinks he's dead until he shows up and saves her from the Blacksmith (or Mr. Crabs, as I call him in my head) in the next episode. She didn't know what happened to him after that. Daredevil knows he's alive because he helped him in the last episode against the Hand, by shooting ninjas. The events here happen "six months" after that. Which I guess is the time right before the Defenders where Murdock was just a lawyer and stopped being Daredevil (as was in the first episode of the Defenders.) Because Karen doesn't mention the stuff that happened to Matt Murdock in that series. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It was a little slow but I liked it too. The whole thing with the assholes on the construction site making Frank madder and madder while he held it all back and then unleashed on them was good.  I could have done with maybe one less dream/flashback to Frank's wife though. The beginning with the killing the guy in Mexico from El Paso was pretty cool.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 3

Oh, Frank.  You really do have some anger issues!  Even if those construction workers really were the worst.

Kind of a slow start, the action scenes were too dark at times, and the dream/flashbacks are already getting tiring, but I'm still looking forward to seeing more of this character.  Jon Bernthal has become one of my favorites (still remember first seeing him as Shane on The Walking Dead), and I'm continuing to find him compelling in this role.  And he certainly sells the intensity and menace to say the least.

A lot of new characters being introduced, I see.  So far, Curtis/Frank's former marine buddy is my favorite.  Not sure what to make of Dinah yet, but having Shohreh Aghdashloo as her mother is certainly one way to make me want to see more of her (well, that and the actress being very pretty.)  And who is this mysterious dude at the end played by Niels from The Last Ship?!

Hey, it's C. Thomas Howell!  And... he's a sexist dick.  I blame that goatee.

I certainly hope Donny has learn going forward to not let himself be susceptible to peer pressure anymore!  A hard lesson to learn tonight, but one that is needed! 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Oh, Frank.  You really do have some anger issues!  Even if those construction workers really were the worst.

A lot of new characters being introduced, I see.  So far, Curtis/Frank's former marine buddy is my favorite.  Not sure what to make of Dinah yet, but having Shohreh Aghdashloo as her mother is certainly one way to make me want to see more of her (well, that and the actress being very pretty.)  And who is this mysterious dude at the end played by Niels from The Last Ship?!

I kind of like how they made Frank a total psycho. He had those construction guys completely incapacitated but he still brutally murdered them. 

I like the group therapy guy too. Although hopefully he won't be too much of a repeat of Sam Wilson (the Falcon)at least in personality type since Sam also started as a group therapy guy for vets in n Winter Soldier.

The gait analysis thing seemed like MCU fantasy tech (it is right?) so I am glad MCU shows are showing a bit of the crazy tech you see in movies. 

Also nice to see Marvel Television is still too cheap to digitally add Stark tower to the NYC skyline.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The gait analysis thing seemed like MCU fantasy tech (it is right?) so I am glad MCU shows are showing a bit of the crazy tech you see in movies. 

Seems like it's a legit thing although maybe not as realized (right now) as MCU made it seem.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1052250/Could-spy-satellite-identify-shadow.html&ved=0ahUKEwjMgsjQscjXAhWMSyYKHYVoBJwQFggsMAE&usg=AOvVaw3PToWegWhxjkXo8M7e7Ppa

• Love 1

I thought it was a great start and i didnt mind so much watching franks loop since its now been broken but i agree about franks wife scenes maybe one too many but i gotta imagine that was the idea us tortured by it must be nothing compared to how it tortures him every single day!

I really liked hearing Shohreh Aghdashloo and then seeing her. She has one of those voices that all she has to say is one sentence and i know who it is. We'll see about her character's daughter but so far shes good didnt bore or annoy so thats good.

The fight scenes and shootouts were really well done. I really liked when frank used the sniper you hear the shot and then the bullet hits because its so far away (in tv and movies i cant recall a specific time ive seen that). And also frank using the hammer on those guys really gross but well done same with at the card game him appearing behind the guy twisting his arm and using his gun on him.

Good commentary throughout not too heavy handed i think so far.  Shohreh Aghdashloo and Dinahs whole thing as well as the group meeting and donnys dad as a superhero except superheroes dont die story all well done. My favorite of those was the group leader (curtis) and frank scene amazing hopefully hes in it lots (also that was a funny image to picture the punisher getting beaten by a prosthetic leg which was a sick way to reveal that as well).

• Love 3

First off, the title sequence is beautiful. I think it's the best one of all the Netflix Marvels, and there have been some great ones. 

Also, I knew the construction assholes were going to either get beat up or die. They kept messing with Frank and I was just like "Dude swings a sledgehammer for hours, do you really want to fight him?" 

And holy violent. It's an interesting detail that he lets them mess with him nearly all episode but doesn't fight them until they prove to be particularly nasty and try to kill the kid. Getting buried alive in liquid cement would be one hell of an awful way to die. 

Bernthal is great. Great and hot. He gives me pants feelings. 

• Love 8
18 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Jon Bernthal has become one of my favorites (still remember first seeing him as Shane on The Walking Dead), and I'm continuing to find him compelling in this role.  And he certainly sells the intensity and menace to say the least.

Shane is the only reason I could make myself sit and watch a man mostly just sleep, eat a sandwich, and hammer a wall.  Jon Bernthal is compelling doing even that, but I'm finding this show a let-down.  At first I thought this must all be what happened before he met Daredevil, but instead I find it's after that.  He seems like a very different character than he was in Daredevil (of which he was the best part).   The Punisher: Groundhog Day is not what I expected.

• Love 3
On 17/11/2017 at 2:31 PM, Pogojoco said:

Frank Castle is "dead" to the wider story as of that drug boat blowing up in 2.11 ".380"

Karen thinks he's dead until he shows up and saves her from the Blacksmith in the next episode. She didn't know what happened to him after that. Daredevil knows he's alive because he helped him in the last episode against the Hand, by shooting ninjas. The events here happen "six months" after that. Which I guess is the time right before the Defenders where Murdock was just a lawyer and stopped being Daredevil (as was in the first episode of the Defenders.) Because Karen doesn't mention the stuff that happened to Matt Murdock in that series. 

Thanks for the recap I was trying to remember how it all ended. I am wondering though how Frank was able to get a whole new fake identity with a fake passport and everything.

I kept waiting for him to "borne identity" on the construction guys. Which of course he finally does at the end of the episode to save the kid. Of course he could have just knocked them out and turned off the thing.  I'm not sure what the point of the fbi woman is as she had no tie to anything that was going on.

The dream stuff with his wife got really old really fast. I found myself skipping it to when he woke up. His family is gone and I get that he misses them but I don't since they were already dead in Daredevil. And I really hope that they drop the dream stuff soon.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2017 at 7:11 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Thanks for the recap I was trying to remember how it all ended. I am wondering though how Frank was able to get a whole new fake identity with a fake passport and everything.

I was wonder that too. He wasn't someone who has resources nor knows anyone that does.

On 11/17/2017 at 11:33 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Hey, it's C. Thomas Howell!  And... he's a sexist dick.  I blame that goatee.

Ha!  I kept thinking, that guy looks familiar.  Probably never would have dawned on me who it was, either.  Oh Ponyboy.  Don't disappoint me like this.

I thought this was a pretty solid, if slow, start!  I was so mad I was about to cry that those jackholes were going to get this sweet new kid on the job killed.  I knew the writing was on the wall for them as soon as Frank overheard their plans, but figured they'd get Donny killed first and that's what would set him off.  Glad to see I was wrong.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:01 PM, Doyounot said:

i gotta imagine that was the idea us tortured by it must be nothing compared to how it tortures him every single day!

Exactly.  Remember that scene in Daredevil where we learn that since Frank was shot in the head at the time his family was murdered, he literally relives their deaths, over and over and over again, in his mind?  I can't even imagine.

• Love 1

Is it an unpopular opinion to say the actress playing Frank's wife really lays it on thick throughout the whole "Hey, sleepyhead" scene?   I'm fanwanking it by thinking what we're seeing is Frank's rose-colored, hyper-idealized version of that moment.  With the angelic smile, the mewing voice and the gauzy lens, Maria's seems more a heavenly vision than a real memory.

• Love 4
On 11/17/2017 at 2:31 PM, Pogojoco said:

Karen thinks he's dead until he shows up and saves her from the Blacksmith (or Mr. Crabs, as I call him in my head) in the next episode. She didn't know what happened to him after that. Daredevil knows he's alive because he helped him in the last episode against the Hand, by shooting ninjas. The events here happen "six months" after that. Which I guess is the time right before the Defenders where Murdock was just a lawyer and stopped being Daredevil (as was in the first episode of the Defenders.) Because Karen doesn't mention the stuff that happened to Matt Murdock in that series. 

I doubt that it takes place prior to The Defenders.

A. The timeline as described may sound a little off, but they have stuck to chronological order with all the series so far and I doubt they would just throw one in out of order now.

B. And later in the series...

Spoiler

There is no way Matt would stay on the sidelines when Karen very publicly puts herself in the crosshairs of a terrorist. Just wouldn't happen. He would have been there right next to Frank. Absolutely not, unless he is "dead".

Edited by moonshine71
6 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

I doubt that it takes place prior to The Defenders.

A. The timeline as described may sound a little off, but they have stuck to chronological order with all the series so far and I doubt they would just throw one in out of order now.

B. And later in the series...

Reveal hidden contents

There is no way Matt would stay on the sidelines when Karen very publicly puts herself in the crosshairs of a terrorist. Just wouldn't happen. He would have been there right next to Frank. Absolutely not, unless he is "dead".

I just went by what the shows themselves said. 

Edited by Pogojoco
47 minutes ago, Pogojoco said:

And? That article just bolsters that they are going in chronological order, roughly at real time or faster pace...

"While Daredevil's most recent season dropped in March of 2016, less time than that has passed for the characters. That suggests that, though these Marvel series may have been spaced out over the course of over two years, all the action may have happened within a year's time."

DD2 and Defenders were separated by 5 months, so that or less between those events. 

Also, the "6 months later" time jump came after Frank traveled to Mexico and finished his mission, which took place post DD2 and we have no idea how long that took. It could have extended the time between DD2 and Punisher by several more months.

I don't know what it says about me that I totally believe that Frank is a good man no matter how many people he brutally kills.  Of course he kills horrible creeps and this is fiction.

It was a stroke of genius to cast Bernthal, he is riveting to watch and I cannot take my eyes off him.  I also liked the scenes with the other veterans.

The only time my attention wandered was during the scenes with the FBI woman. That part came across as conventional TV drama like to me.

• Love 8

My only complaint for the start of the series is that I could have used more of a recap of the Daredevil events, but that's minor.  This was slow and measured but it really set up Frank's state.  And when the switch flipped, he was merciless.

I like introductions to Curtis and Madani.

Edited by MisterGlass
Wrong tense.
  • Love 2

I have seen two episodes and I am really enjoying it. However, I haven't watched Daredevil nor The Defenders and don't really intend to, so I am a little surprised that everyone else here on this thread has done so. If I have to keep up with the superhero universe then I'm out of here....I find superhero comics to be boring. I am not seeing Frank as having any supernatural powers and I loved the Thomas Jane movie a few years (decades?) back, so I was hoping it could be enjoyable as a "civilian".

4 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

I have seen two episodes and I am really enjoying it. However, I haven't watched Daredevil nor The Defenders and don't really intend to, so I am a little surprised that everyone else here on this thread has done so. 

I haven’t either. I tried Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and got as far as around episode 4-5 in each. Which to be fair is as far as I’ve gotten with The Punisher so far too. I just find that when something is this dark and slow-moving I don’t get any joy out of watching it.

The Punisher’s pilot was my favorite because it actually wrapped up a story about the construction site guys. That a lot of series viewers here consider it the worst doesn’t bode well for me sticking around.

• Love 1

I think this is my favorite first episode for one of the Marvel Netflix series.

So many side characters to bet on crossing paths with Frank, outside of the obvious ones.

I knew it was going where it ended, but I dreaded getting there with the flashback with the wife. 

I'm sure Donny will be back.