Type keyword(s) to search

Season One: Law & Order Goes Cerebral

I feel so sorry for her mom, with the tabby cat. You just know that poor cat is left all alone when she's arrested....falsely....

Hopefully, ol' Trudy was sentenced to death (I think the death penalty was still in play when this was filmed) and mommy got to do the honors. (It's fiction, so I don't feel badly saying this here!)

• Love 1

Dennis Griscom in "The Third Horseman"...I guess I was supposed to feel sorry for him what with his ex aborting his kid, but yeah. Killing the guy in front of his own kid, as the wife said, so much for loving kids since the little girl could have been killed, too.

• Love 1

Dennis Griscom in "The Third Horseman"...I guess I was supposed to feel sorry for him what with his ex aborting his kid, but yeah. Killing the guy in front of his own kid, as the wife said, so much for loving kids since the little girl could have been killed, too.

I did NOT feel sorry for him. He killed an innocent man in front of his daughter. People that spout pro life propaganda to justify killing doctors piss me off. Hypocrites.

Which is why I love it when Eames goes off on one of the followers saying it was God's will: "Maybe God is a little preoccupied with the doctor's daughter!" Boom.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

I did NOT feel sorry for him. He killed an innocent man in front of his daughter. People that spout pro life propaganda to justify killing doctors piss me off. Hypocrites.

Which is why I love it when Eames goes off on one of the followers saying it was God's will: "Maybe God is a little preoccupied with the doctor's daughter!" Boom.

Yeah, Eames-wise, I really liked this early episode. We learned a little more about her without it overwhelming the narrative.

• Love 1

Watching "Yesterday" before I go to bed and Jamey Sheridan never really got his due. He was good in the scene where he tells the victim's college boyfriend that Alyssa's body was found.

Deakins should have had more to do like Ross got to. And I know I said that regarding Deakins versus Ross before, but I think just maybe had Sheridan gotten something to do, maybe he would have stuck around. Ditto poor Courtney B. Vance's Carver, who became basically a walk-on role by the end of his run.

• Love 1

God yes!  Oh and My Network has been airing reruns at 9am eastern time.

I also have MyNetwork and it is running CI episodes (on S1 there, too!) daily, but here, it is at 1:00 p.m., so if the WE episode is a dull one, I can just switch over.

Griscom was a hypocrite of the highest order, which I loved that the show exposed. He didn't care two wits about God's will -- he did it because he was angry his girlfriend had an abortion. Which I've also found is the case -- moral high ground and religious reasons are often covers for something personal. "The greater good" makes a great excuse, but human beings are inherently selfish. Dig far enough back into the past of any zealot and I'm guessing you'll discover a personal driver for their beliefs that fuels them much more than pretending it's merely "God's will."

That episode reminded me so much of Eric Rudolph, who also killed because he was mad about an ex-girlfriend who aborted his child. That was never made public by the media, but he lived in my hometown -- a scant half mile from my father -- and we knew the girl and she refused to give interviews or be associated with him in any way. The police officer who caught him was never given the million dollar reward the FBI offered. CNN, and FOX, made my hometown look like a hick-filled hillbilly haven when he first went on the run, and once Rudolph was caught, NO ONE wanted to talk to the press.

• Love 1

That episode reminded me so much of Eric Rudolph, who also killed because he was mad about an ex-girlfriend who aborted his child. That was never made public by the media, but he lived in my hometown -- a scant half mile from my father -- and we knew the girl and she refused to give interviews or be associated with him in any way. The police officer who caught him was never given the million dollar reward the FBI offered. CNN, and FOX, made my hometown look like a hick-filled hillbilly haven when he first went on the run, and once Rudolph was caught, NO ONE wanted to talk to the press.

Wow!  Thanks for the off the record stuff! Always did wonder why Eric Rudolph did what he did. 

Since that was off the record, though, I do wonder if the CI stuff was coincidence or not...

Somebody, somewhere must have told the writer(s) about it. It's so weird... my ex and I had been in Atlanta for the Olympics that week, and went to the rowing competition on Lake Lanier on Friday. Away from the city. We were back at Dad's house on Friday night when Rudolph had left his bomb. And to think he was driving around in the neighborhood that night!!

He lived underneath the 4-lane bridge near our Ingles grocery store for a long time. They found cardboard that he used as bedding. When it was really cold in the winter, he'd break in and live in cabins owned by people from Florida who were never here during the winter. But they kept their electricity on year-round. Perfect setup.

I am good friends with the guy who caught him. Imagine being a rookie cop, on night duty, and seeing someone going dumpster diving in the middle of the night. Thinking you're just arresting a transient. It wasn't until he was brought into the police station that another cop recognized him and he was immediately put into a cell with cuffs on his feet and hands.

Somebody, somewhere must have told the writer(s) about it. It's so weird... my ex and I had been in Atlanta for the Olympics that week, and went to the rowing competition on Lake Lanier on Friday. Away from the city. We were back at Dad's house on Friday night when Rudolph had left his bomb. And to think he was driving around in the neighborhood that night!!

He lived underneath the 4-lane bridge near our Ingles grocery store for a long time. They found cardboard that he used as bedding. When it was really cold in the winter, he'd break in and live in cabins owned by people from Florida who were never here during the winter. But they kept their electricity on year-round. Perfect setup.

I am good friends with the guy who caught him. Imagine being a rookie cop, on night duty, and seeing someone going dumpster diving in the middle of the night. Thinking you're just arresting a transient. It wasn't until he was brought into the police station that another cop recognized him and he was immediately put into a cell with cuffs on his feet and hands.

Wow. I can only imagine the shock you must have felt when it was said Eric Rudolph set that bomb. I remember that well as it was obviously all over the national news.

My mom (she and Dad were divorced) called me Saturday morning to make sure we'd gotten home OK. I had no idea what had happened.

The real shock was when people I knew who worked for the networks in Richmond called me once he was caught and wanted my reaction. I was the only person from Murphy they knew, and one of my best friends used to work for FOX and NBC there. She called me first. It was nuts.

That's why this particular episode resonates with me like no other. The whole background of the guy, and Eric, were too similar... they had to have based it on him.

And right now, WE has officially circled around back to "One". Always a trip to go from S10 to S1 and see the differences. And, for a pilot, "One" wasn't too awkward (to me) and established everyone decently.

• Love 2

No matter how many times I see "The Faithful", I don't understand Carver's ire at the end and threatening to take Goren's badge. Carver offered the deal to McShale. Goren just got him to take it.

Now, granted, it did spare Melanie Grasso, but the overall intent - to take a deal - was done. Maybe there is something I missed even watching as much as I have...

• Love 1

Mike Post (of "The Rockford Files" fame) did the theme music for the opening, but I don't know if he had anything to do with composing the background music.

Oh, yeah. Mike Post did all the franchise themes, as well as for the aforementioned Rockford Files, Silk Stalkings, Hunter, and God knows how many other shows. I always thought the credits said "Music: Mike Post". But if that only means the theme, then I'm curious as to who composed the scenic cues, too.

Caught "Smothered" earlier today. If Mrs. Van Acker isn't in the Hall of Shame for Bad Parents, she really should be.

"Didn't I tell you I'd take care of it?"

An example of how money corrupts absolutely. What a hideous excuse of a human being to do that to the woman carrying her grandchild.

• Love 3

Caught "Smothered" earlier today. If Mrs. Van Acker isn't in the Hall of Shame for Bad Parents, she really should be.

"Didn't I tell you I'd take care of it?"

An example of how money corrupts absolutely. What a hideous excuse of a human being to do that to the woman carrying her grandchild.

Scarier to think it was based upon a real case (that was posted earlier in the thread). The actress playing Phyllis Van Acker played cold and haughtily creepy quite well. And, of course, we have future CI perennial actors Susan Misner ("Smothered", "Acts of Contrition", "Family Values") and Geoffrey Nauffts (Dale Van Acker here in "Smothered") and Brendan Keele (the scorned firefighter lover) in "Maltese Cross".

Mrs. Van Acker was a horrible mother, but her hubby was no prize himself. A match made in hell if there ever was one.

Just caught the beginning of The Insider (not staying, as I've seen it a number of times). But I think this is one of the most realistic "dead body discoveries" any Law & Order has ever done. The girl yelling at her father to get up and being angry at him for not moving just strikes me as very honest. It's not all shielding one's face and crying attractively. It's raw emotion. Good script and good acting there.

ETA: Ooh, and Goren uses the word "dagger" to describe the knife earlier in the episode. Really good script.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 3

Let me ask...... if you're an actor, and you want to keep getting roles.... and you go on a nationally televised show that's popular.... you have access to wardrobe, makeup, etc... everything NBC would provide actors with speaking roles.....

WHY for the love of all that is holy would you go on TV looking like this????? I am sure they would have slapped a little toupee on his head, or at least a decent combover to hide that weird bald spot.

image.jpg1_zpsw4pfrbiz.jpg

The attorney for the loan shark in today's "Homo Homini Lupis".

Eeeeeeeeeek! Scary pic! <Hugs my internet access>

Aaaand we just had the Goren/Bonanza ringtone/gun scene in "Homo Homini Lupus". Bobby got to be a badass so rarely that I love that. "You gonna answer that?"

• Love 2

Why don't you just post a picture of Gene Shallit while you're at it?!  I haven't had my morning caffeine yet and I run into that face!

Let's not get crazy here!

"Seizure", the one with the doc with a brain lesion attracted to a serial killer was on. I'm hard pressed to really think a lesion would be responsible for murder. But okay!