Type keyword(s) to search

Comic Book Men - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Jeez, not that I pay that much attention, but I thought Smith's deal was that after Red State he was going to make one more movie, about hockey, then hang it up.  Since I was never going to be in the least interested in the hockey movie I figured his career was done. Clerks III sounds like a horrible idea.

Yeah, I really don't want Clerks III.

Clerks II was funny, but suffered from the fact that, despite the affection I have for them, Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson aren't particularly good actors.

I'm glad Comic Book Men has been renewed though. But I wish they'd put in some more effort to make it feel more organic and less pre-planned. Some of the segments in the third season were just cringeworthy in how obvious it was that it was scripted.

• Love 2
Kevin Smith sends his daughter to the Stash to learn how to be a clerk; a customer wants to sell rare and unusual "Rocky" action figures.

Harley Quinn's voice was...tough to listen to. And that was quite the "shirt" to wear on an internship.

So were those zombie dolls made by some company and that lady recreated them, or was she the vendor for them? I couldn't figure that out.

Harley was quite ... awkward. And considering I thought she was in her early 20s based on her look, I found that difficult to forgive. Then when I found out she's only 15, the awkwardness didn't bother me as much as the fact that she looks like she's in her early 20s based on makeup and wardrobe.

Sometimes I think they keep Bryan around for his one liners.  He did have some pretty good ones this episode.

Guest Stars this season:

Billy Dee Williams (Star Wars), Adam West (“Batman”), Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters), Butch Patrick (Eddie Munster), Kevin Eastman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), and Walt’s personal hero, Gene Simmons of KISS.

Edited by nottopbravo

Sometimes I think they keep Bryan around for his one liners.  He did have some pretty good ones this episode.

I think that's pretty much the case.  I believe I read somewhere that he doesn't actually work at the store.

I think that's pretty much the case.  I believe I read somewhere that he doesn't actually work at the store.

I seem to remember Brian actually telling Ming (when Ming asked for help with something) he didn't work there.

Walt challenges the guys to perform stand up comedy at the Stash. A collector brings in key Marvel comics from the 1960s.

In other words hi, we're blatantly ripping off Meltdown Comics but we can't actually get any real comedians like them so we'll just get the store guys to do it.  Also I call Complete bullshit on the guy with the old comics.  Four of the top ten most valuable comics of the silver age in standard bags and boards Bullshit.  You don't store a 3.5k comic in that.  Also the comic he paid $200 for and the guy was offering at $275  Here it is on Ebay scroll down to find the version of the comic that comes close to that value and look how crappy the condition is compared to what we saw on the show.

That segment was really really bad.

Not as bad as Bryan's cosplay 'joke' though to make that the one joke they really showcase as one that's mean and goes into the worst stereotypes about the comics community.  I'm not big into cosplay, but go to any comics site worth a damn and look up any cosplay showcase and you can see just how wrong he is. 

What made it worse for me is to include a woman in Cosplay in the same episode, who clearly did it for a chance at tv time to promote her charity, (which they never bothered to name way to go guys)

I haven't seen the episode people are calling the worst episode yet, but I have a hard time imagining it's worse than this.

For FF#48, I checked the comic website I use most, and, among others, they're selling a FR 1.0 copy for  $130.  But yeah, a real comic dealer would have those issues slabbed and graded.

For FF#48, I checked the comic website I use most, and, among others, they're selling a FR 1.0 copy for  $130.  But yeah, a real comic dealer would have those issues slabbed and graded.

yeah but the copy that Walt bought was much better than a 1.0.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-1961-1st-Series-48-FR-1-0-/131326338609?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e93a8e631 is a 1.0 grade.  The copy Walt bought was MUCH better condition.

The whole thing was fishy.  He brings in 5 comics 4 of which are premium issues #1's of the biggest marvel titles  and Walt buys the only non #1 and the only 1 that would be less than $500- 1000 in their apparent condition? You wouldn't take to a place like the stash you'd find a place that specializes in Golden/Silver age stuff.  Nothing in that segment made any sense to me.

It's like they needed something big for the episode so they faked it.

I don't think it's a secret the sellers (and buyers?) are majorly staged. This guy was just done poorly. At best he should have come in to "show his stuff on TV, and get advice on what to do".

Harley doesn't seem to have been overly keen to be involved in the show, from what I could tell. I also question the wisdom of Kevin Smith leaving her in the charge of Jason Mewes, so hopefully that was just gimmicked to get him into the episode.

But she did seem to honestly enjoy herself when she was there, and I liked seeing that Kevin Smith is a goofy, loveable dad, who clearly has a pretty good relationship with his daughter. Especially considering that story Kevin told on an earlier episode, of how Harley was mortified when Kevin went out in public wearing Batman shorts.

I think they need to rely less on these 'hooks' for each episode, and just focus on two things: The guys clowning around and talking about geeky stuff, and the buying and selling of weird/valuable/rare stuff. To me, those are the things that make the show appealing.

• Love 1

Bryan definitely doesn't work there. They established that in the first episode, but I guess he either genuinely doesn't have anything else to do other than hang around there, or they want him on the show because he's funny.

That Planet of the Apes Treehouse was pretty lame, I have to say. But I love that Walt gets so emotional about that stuff, because his sense of wonder at these reminders of his childhood always seem completely genuine.

I don't know why they bring in guest stars. So many 'reality' shows do this, and I don't think I've ever really liked it. Even with Stan Lee, it just seemed so forced. Why bother, when the guys on the show are already fun to watch and listen to?

• Love 1

This was not a good episode. It's all becoming too obviously staged, with 'sellers' and 'buyers' being vetted beforehand. Why do that? Clearly, the store already got good stuff before this show existed, and I think the first couple of seasons at least had some spontaneous visitors, bringing in stuff that was a surprise. 

Now it's like, 'do you have this thing?' 'Yeah, I think we do. Ming, get that thing'. And Ming knows exactly where to go for the obscure piece of pop culture nostalgia. Come on guys, at least try to make it seem real.

Anyone who knows what they've got, knows where to take it and what sort of prices they're going to get. I don't mind that they bring that Golden and Silver Age stuff into the Stash, because I like seeing Walt and Mike geek out over it, but even they don't pretend they're going to buy any high quality #1s. Still, I can understand why a real comic book dealer might try it. Dazzle the nerds with Amazing Fantasy #15, and while they're reeling, try to get an inflated price for The Incredible Hulk #180. Not a complicated sales tactic.

Walt and the guys visit BronyCon, a fan convention for "My Little Pony".  Then a customer wants to sell a 1970's board game featuring Godzilla.   

Figure I'd start the thread even though no one posted on last week's episode. 

Based on the description, this one has "disaster" written all over it.

I merged all the separate episode threads into this thread.  We are not getting enough traffic here to warrant separate threads for each episode.  If traffic picks up, we'll go back to separate threads.

Thread, threads, thread, threads.  Apparently I can't say that enough.

A week later is okay for a double post.  Right?

I believe this has to be absolutely rock bottom.  This was actually painful to watch.  I'm not sure what's worse that Walt actually had this as an idea, or that this is a bit and Walt let them present it as a real idea that he had.  Either way he comes off as a complete idiot.  I'd feel bad for Ernie Hudson, but after he pissed all over the idea of Paul Feig's reboot of Ghostbusters with an all woman cast as no one wants to see that?  I'm okay with him looking dumb.  I wonder how much they had to pay him to do this though. 

As I suspected, there aren't that many kids in the crossover demographic of ice-cream trucks and Ghostbusters. I like Ernie Hudson, and maybe I was supposed to laugh when no one recognized him, but it made me cringe. I like the show so much better when the antics are at least stationed in the Stash, and we get to see some cool items. I think the guys do have really good camaraderie, and I hate to see it wasted on stupid bits like this one.

This is done for now, until the Dead rise again, right?  I think in their down time everyone in the production should be strapped into chairs like Alex in "A Clockwork Orange" and forced to watch every episode of "Pawn Stars" and all 20 "Storage Wars" franchises over and over until they're cured of the notion that rational humans who could be convinced to enjoy this show want to see anything other than cool stuff walking through the door and being explained and commented on.

• Love 2

This is done for now, until the Dead rise again, right?  I think in their down time everyone in the production should be strapped into chairs like Alex in "A Clockwork Orange" and forced to watch every episode of "Pawn Stars" and all 20 "Storage Wars" franchises over and over until they're cured of the notion that rational humans who could be convinced to enjoy this show want to see anything other than cool stuff walking through the door and being explained and commented on.

This is what I don't get. Why do they think we want to watch them dress up as ponies, or play hockey or any of the other dumb stuff they've done? I like it when someone turns up with an issue of Amazing Spider-Man #39 or something, and the guys go nuts over it, or someone brings in an 80s toy that I'd have loved to have, and Ming loses his tiny mind. 

I watch this show for retro comic and scifi geek goods, and the banter that the guys have, and that's it. I don't even like the tired price haggling that they do for stuff. Just value it, agree a price and buy/sell it. And get Rob Bruce in to espouse arcane wisdom about it.

Anyone know when this show is coming back?

So far, it has run at the same time as The Walking Dead.  It you can find out when the Dead come back, it's a good bet that if CBM comes back that's when it will be.

Oh lord every time I think they can't sink lower, they do.  I have no idea how much Ming gets paid to be the Buttmonkey but it must be a lot because, I don't know else you explain telling Adam West to his face that his Batmobile wasn't that great other than I was paid a lot of money to set up this oh so convenient  'drag race' which of course was completely stupid and pointless. 

Funnily enough the really awkward moment was Mewes asking West about his sex life as Batman, because well we Know what it was like.

Also $5 says Walt actually paid for the Hanna Barbara cell but they had Bryan do it because they're trying to maintain his 'image' as a tough negotiator.  I mean when was the last time we've ever seen a customer get that close to what he originally asked for?

• Love 1

It's getting tough to watch this show when Walt and Bryan act like dicks to Ming. Just watched the one with Eddie Muenster and I just wanted to tell Walt to quit picking on Ming. Every time the guy has an opinion Walt or Bryan have to get on him.

Edited by RustbeltWriter
  • Love 1