Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Chloe Does Lucifer

MostlyC

Lucifer and Chloe question all they know about social media to solve a murder connected to a celebrity dating app; Ella tries to avoid Charlotte; Amenadiel helps Linda cope with the death of her ex-husband.

I'm getting a headache from all the anvils the show is bludgeoning me over the head with. I miss when this show wasn't trying to tell me how perfect and wonderful and amazing Chloe is supposed to be. Yikes!

Re: Charlotte, apparently Ella told her she saw a darkness and Charlotte wants to stalk Ella to be more light? IDK. This show is becoming such a joke. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm getting a headache from all the anvils the show is bludgeoning me over the head with. I miss when this show wasn't trying to tell me how perfect and wonderful and amazing Chloe is supposed to be. Yikes!

Me too!  If a show has to result to having characters tell me how awesome someone is instead of showing me how awesome someone is they IMO have failed. I'm half way through the episode and I'm losing interest.

Also the Lucifer plays monopoly with Chloe + Trixie was weird. I know I'm supposed to take that scene as proof that Lucifer and Chloe are a perfect match, but all I could think about was how in the world did Chloe talk Lucifer into doing something so boring.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Re: Charlotte, apparently Ella told her she saw a darkness and Charlotte wants to stalk Ella to be more light? IDK. This show is becoming such a joke. 

Charlotte has been through literal Hell.  She's utterly terrified of going back, so she's not exactly in a rational place.

• Love 13

Liked Charlotte helping Ella and Chloe solve the case. Seeing her work for the DA and helping out more could be interesting.

Loved the scenes between Amenadiel and Linda at the beach. Excellent stuff that feels right in line with what I loved about last season. I wish we could get more scenes like that.

As for the rest, well, the less said the better. They have regressed Luci so far that I find it hard to believe he’s been out of hell for over three seconds, let alone three years. He’s become the least entertaining character on his own show. And Chloe isn’t much better when she’s around him.

Ugh. This show used to be the one I most looked forward to every week, now I can barely get through an episode. Maybe I should just stick to rewatching season two.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Maelstrom said:

They have regressed Luci so far that I find it hard to believe he’s been out of hell for over three seconds, let alone three years.

I'm puzzled by the writing direction with Lucy. He spent thousands of years traipsing in and out of the minds of millions and millions of sinners and he is somehow surprised that most people are big phonies?! He used to be the one that had the insight into people's psyche and now he comes across as very shallow and inexperienced. 

However his line of "Oscar, he was straight when I first met him" was the only time I legitimately laughed during this episode. He and Amy both had their best scenes with Linda this week. It is too bad that Lucy had to spend so much time with Chloe because it was certainly not to his advantage. 

And sadly it sounds like next week marks the return of Lieutenant Unlikable and Boring. So the odds are not great that next week's episode will be a sizzler either. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Hasn't Chloe dressed up before and gone undercover to a party or a bar to try to get answers from suspects?  Didn't she go with Maze?  I feel like she's done it with Lucifer, also.

Yes and yes. She looked great then too Lucy stop acting like you've never seen her dressed up. 

I agree Lucifer seems silly and out of touch and I'd only buy him playing monopoly if it was strip monopoly.

And Charlotte is acting like "Mom" again with no idea how to be a decent human being. The whole "how do you fake interest in other peoples kids?" Question just reminded me this is the same woman who HAS CHILDREN and was crying a few weeks ago because her ex has sole custody. She is an actual human who should know good from bad without help from Ella.  Last ep was good maybe because it was leftover from last year? Feels like all the new episodes are full of the characters acting out of character.  Except for Linda and Amy. More of that please!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, MissL said:

She is an actual human who should know good from bad without help from Ella.

Except that she didn't know good from bad well enough because she wound up in Hell.  Charlotte believed that she was basically a good person who sometimes had to make tough choices in a hard job.  And she went to Hell.  At this point she's lost all confidence in her own abilities to know/do the right things at the same time that she desperately needs to know/do the "right things" because she's terrified down to the marrow in her bones that she'll go back to Hell.

1 hour ago, CaptainTightpants said:

And sadly it sounds like next week marks the return of Lieutenant Unlikable and Boring. So the odds are not great that next week's episode will be a sizzler either. 

Next week's episode won't be a sizzler because it's a repeat of the 3rd season premiere (according to TV Guide, anyway).  Presumably we'll get a new Lucifer the week of December 4.  For my part,  I'm a bit relieved because that means I can catch all four episodes of the Supergirl/Arrow/The Flash/Legends of Tomorrow crossover event thing they're doing next week.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, johntfs said:
4 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

Next week's episode won't be a sizzler because it's a repeat of the 3rd season premiere (according to TV Guide, anyway).  Presumably we'll get a new Lucifer the week of December 4.

I thought I saw Maze in the trailer, this should be her, post baby. Can't wait to see her mommy body.

4 hours ago, GaT said:

I am really not feeling this show anymore, it used to be so great.

Me either. It seems to be heading in the same direction as Sleepy Hollow...down. If I want to watch a female cop with a comedic sidekick, I'd watch Castle

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

As they lampshaded Lucifer becoming a "shoe" pretty hard, I think Lucifer being boring is supposed to be a plot point. I'm not wedded to any particular outcome for Lucifer, so I personally find it interesting. I noticed they had whaserface talk about how much work it was to be "on" all the time and how she just wanted to stop. I got the same sense at the end, that Lucifer was going back to sex up that woman because it was expected of him, not because he really wanted to.

The episode was not being at all subtle with the Lucifer wants to be a shoe and only feels like he has to be a top hat. The end scene was IMO supposed to read Lucifer really wants to play monopoly with Chloe + Trixie instead of sleeping with the woman.  If Lucifer deciding he wanted to be a shoe felt more about him and less about changing him for Chloe then I might also be interested in the story. However, to me, the whole "shoe" thing felt like I was being hit over the head with see see Lucifer will be prefect for Chloe once he realizes deep down he wants to be a shoe not a top hat.  And since I'm not a fan of the Chloe + Lucifer pairing all I did was roll my eyes.  

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Anyway, this episode deserves a solid A simply for one line: "I've flipped so many men, they call me The Skillet."

I've always thought it was strange that the show deemphasizes Lucifer's glorious potential queerness so much. Aside from a brief moment in the pilot(?) when we glimpsed a man in his bed (along with a woman) he's been a performative ogler of women but there's been very little suggestion of anything else. He's SATAN, shouldn't he be more polymorphous? So I was pleased to see some of that finally coming in. And while I can swallow Lucifer becoming a "better" person, I can in no way come around to the idea that he should be interested in settling down and playing Monopoly.

Neither Ella nor Charlotte feels like a remotely integrated part of the show. I get that they have Katee Sackhoff and they want to use her, but... maybe they shouldn't? What is she bringing to the table? I would like to see much less of either or both of them and more of Linda. Her scenes with Amenadiel are some of the best, and their friendship feels much more real to me than any of Lucifer's. She has much more charisma than Chloe.

Edited by maxineofarc
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

I can think of much worse things than lying on a peaceful, sunny beach with a smiling D.B. Woodside hovering over me. Lucky, lucky Linda!

That's my idea of Heaven right there. I love Linda's friendship will all her angelic (and demonic) pals. It was adorable when she decided to grill Lucy on Oscar Wilde there at the end. She, Amy and Maze are really the only thing keeping me watching now. I don't even like Lucy anymore, which breaks my heart!

38 minutes ago, Fireball said:

If Lucifer deciding he wanted to be a shoe felt more about him and less about changing him for Chloe then I might also be interested in the story. However, to me, the whole "shoe" thing felt like I was being hit over the head with see see Lucifer will be prefect for Chloe once he realizes deep down he wants to be a shoe not a top hat.  And since I'm not a fan of the Chloe + Lucifer pairing all I did was roll my eyes.  

THIS!!!!! OMG THIS!!!!! If for one second this whole identity crisis Lucy is going through was about anything but being right for Chloe I'd be all in. But it's all about him settling down enough to get the girl. If the girl doesn't want him for who he is, she's not worth it! Honestly, the opening scene gave me such a headache from rolling my eyes that I barely felt most of the anvils they were dropping this ep. Didn't this show used to be at least a bit subtle? Or was I just blinded by new love back then? It's seriously less subtle now than Castle ever was.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, maxineofarc said:

And while I can swallow Lucifer becoming a "better" person, I can in no way come around to the idea that he should be interested in settling down and playing Monopoly.

This is where I'm at, too.  Can't he be a better person and still be bold and audacious?  Even if he must be with Chloe, why does he need to totally change who he is?  I miss the larger than life Luci.  Please bring him back.

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, maxineofarc said:

I've always thought it was strange that the show deemphasizes Lucifer's glorious potential queerness so much. Aside from a brief moment in the pilot(?) when we glimpsed a man in his bed (along with a woman) he's been a performative ogler of women but there's been very little suggestion of anything else. He's SATAN, what should he care? So I was pleased to see some of that finally coming in. And while I can swallow Lucifer becoming a "better" person, I can in no way come around to the idea that he should be interested in settling down and playing Monopoly.

Neither Ella nor Charlotte feels like a remotely integrated part of the show. I get that they have Katee Sackhoff and they want to use her, but... maybe they shouldn't? What is she bringing to the table? I would like to see much less of either or both of them and more of Linda. Her scenes with Amenadiel are some of the best, and their friendship feels much more real to me than any of Lucifer's. She has much more charisma than Chloe.

They actually have Tricia Helfer, also from BSG. Who I think is doing a decent job with the Charlotte character, but like you I do question if the time is better spent elsewhere. Unless  Charlotte is going to somehow fit in with the Cinnamon/Lieutenant Ulikeable storyline. But I suspect they are building divergent subplots for her character to stick around. 

But it has long been my secret wish that Katee Sackhoff had been cast as Chloe! She generally plays slightly unlikable people who kick ass so well! I find the current Chloe the weakest member of the core cast, and I feel a different actress would have improved that situation. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, CaptainTightpants said:

They actually have Tricia Helfer, also from BSG. Who I think is doing a decent job with the Charlotte character, but like you I do question if the time is better spent elsewhere. Unless  Charlotte is going to somehow fit in with the Cinnamon/Lieutenant Ulikeable storyline. But I suspect they are building divergent subplots for her character to stick around. 

But it has long been my secret wish that Katee Sackhoff had been cast as Chloe! She generally plays slightly unlikable people who kick ass so well! I find the current Chloe the weakest member of the core cast, and I feel a different actress would have improved that situation. 

Whoops, you're right, I got their names crossed. But yes, I agree that casting would have worked better! I feel like there's been such a run of "he's a dashing, charismatic leading man! she's a block of wood with nice hair! together they fight crime!" shows over the past ten years or so (off the top of my head, Castle, The Mentalist, etc., YMMV, don't @me) that I would really love a female lead who can really hold her own against Tom Ellis.

Edited by maxineofarc
  • Love 3

The series has become formulaic.  Needs a shake up to keep me interested.  The murder of the week concept is usually uninteresting as we know they will solve the case and bicker along the way.  Lucifer needs to be more mischievous and way more evil.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, MissL said:

I agree Lucifer seems silly and out of touch and I'd only buy him playing monopoly if it was strip monopoly.

I could totally see Lucifer playing strip monopoly! But playing regular monopoly no way; the game is soooo long and boring! For such a pivotal scene, it started the whole Shoe=Boring vs Top Hat=Interesting theme, not knowing 1) how Chloe talked Lucifer into play monopoly with her and the small human and 2) why Chloe would even want Lucifer to spend time around Trixie when he's a bad influence really bugged me. It felt out of character for Lucifer to voluntary agree to spend time with Trixie and for Chloe to want Lucifer to be around Trixie after he helped Trixie get round the whole "no swearing rule". 

But I guess it let the writers make people think Chloe and Lucifer were having sex, so the boring details of why would Lucifer even be in Chloe's house playing monopoly were deemed unimportant. 

1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

This is where I'm at, too.  Can't he be a better person and still be bold and audacious?  Even if he must be with Chloe, why does he need to totally change who he is?  I miss the larger than life Luci.  Please bring him back.

This!! I don't have a problem with Lucifer deciding to be a better person, but why does he have to be a "shoe" or a "top hat" can't he be a bit of both and be a "fancy shoe"? I also miss the larger than life Lucifer. This seasons Lucifer is boring. I'm only finding Lucifer interesting when he's interacting with characters not named Chloe.  

12 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Loved the scenes between Amenadiel and Linda at the beach. Excellent stuff that feels right in line with what I loved about last season. I wish we could get more scenes like that.

The scenes between Amenadiel and Linda were the best of the episode. I also liked the scene with Lucifer and Linda where Lucifer asks Linda if she's ok. The rest of the episode was painfully boring. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Aussie Grrrl said:

Me either. It seems to be heading in the same direction as Sleepy Hollow...down. If I want to watch a female cop with a comedic sidekick, I'd watch Castle

Except the writers killed Castle first.  

2 hours ago, maxineofarc said:

She has much more charisma than Chloe.

Yes, to the nth.

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Whatever happened about his wings growing back?

Silly Writing Wrongs, you're not supposed to notice the lack of feathers floating around.  It will be in a future episode, if you only hand in long enough.  

What bothers me is that there is a writer somewhere in the Lucifer staff who stayed away in his/her/whatever's English lit classes and is working some really clever quick comments in. (Shakespeare, Oscar).  The writers need a few more writers with depth of experience to work in other history foibles into Lucy's comments. 

The Linda Amenadude scene and script and the way it was shot was magnificent and that may have made the rest of the stuff seem a lot more lackluster. (And I will pat myself on my wingless back and point out that the word lackluster is perfect for the rest of this episode.)  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fireball said:

This!! I don't have a problem with Lucifer deciding to be a better person, but why does he have to be a "shoe" or a "top hat" can't he be a bit of both and be a "fancy shoe"? I also miss the larger than life Lucifer. This seasons Lucifer is boring. I'm only finding Lucifer interesting when he's interacting with characters not named Chloe.

I'm willing the give the show a bit of room on this.  I suspect that ultimately Lucifer (with significant help from Chloe and Dr. Linda) will recognize that he can be a better version of himself while still being himself.  That he doesn't have to force himself to become a shoe and he can rock his top hat all night long.

I always preferred the dog or the racecar myself. Lucy could totally be the race car. Actually, I would think he is more race car than top hat, well, he was before he got neutered, so I guess he'd be more the dog now. lol

That Amend/Linda scene was everything. Seriously. I agree, the dialog, the acting, the lighting, the setting, everything was just perfection. Made the rest of the episode seem a bit like the iron....totally flat! (and yes, I looked up all the monopoly pieces just so I could analogize correctly. That is how dedicated I am to...well, to avoiding doing actual work at work.)

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 3

I’m disappointed in this season. I don’t know what they are doing with Lucifer. In this ep he came across as a loser lounge lizard with delusions of coolness.  Over and over no one was impressed by him leaving him looking foolish. 

Agree with everyone who said they have a headache from being beaten over the head with Chloe’s specialness.

I don’t hate Charlotte and I like the actress but I’ve said before she has no real purpose and her redemption story takes away from other characters, such as Linda  and Amenadiel. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ria said:

In this ep he came across as a loser lounge lizard with delusions of coolness

OMG, sadly, that is the prefect description. That is NOT the Lucifer I signed up for.

What really got me was when the dating site guy was all "you are just the type we want" and he meant Chloe. I was like, um, why? She's got limp, mousy hair, she's average looking, she's wearing basic cop clothes, there is absolutely nothing special about her. She is about as average as it is possible to get. She's not stylish or rich, she's not interesting or witty, she's not even a natural beauty, she's just...there. Of course it was just to prop up the writers idea that we should all love her and want to be her and that she's so much better than she really is, but it just came across so stupid.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 5

I thought this episode managed to capture the spirit of S2, so I loved it.

Lots of female interactions is my big big big plus for this one. I liked Charlotte and Ella, and Charlotte, Ella and Chloe working together. But yes, I wondered at one point where Charlotte began and Mom ended. Minor problem, for me, compared to the big ones I had with the writing earlier in the season. Mom!Chloe was back, as well as...

Yay, Trixie! (And of course she wants real money. You taught her well, Luci!) Now get Maze back and we're good, show.

Lucifer was snarky with Dan, Dan "got the girl". Much better balance than in the previous true S3 episodes.

Are they thinking of going "there" with Amenadiel and Linda? I only saw them as friends but at one point, I wondered. No matter what, beautiful friendship anyway, and I truly loved their scenes. Linda has to be the sensible one because she's "the shrink", and Amenadiel has to be the understanding one because he's "the good son". It makes them carry the same kind of burden, so it makes sense they can easily develop some closeness.

I particularly appreciated the mirror game between Lucifer and Chloe. Chloe was completely ridiculous trying to act cool and flamboyant like Lucifer (so I don't see the special thing, she is portrayed with qualities and flaws) and was much better when she was her straight-laced normal self. People call her dull, she embraces her "dullness". In the meanwhile, Lucifer is holding on to his rebel, dissolute persona, but how much is the real him, and how much is rebellion against Dad? He'll always be a maverick,  and I wouldn't want it any other way, but I don't think he'll truly know what he wants and who he is until he solves his daddy issues. For now, he's still wearing his blinders but I was OK with it because I noticed some progress here and there. For example, he did ask Linda how she was; which isn't something he used to do and she had to explode for him to get it. But it wasn't in vain. He learns.

Also, TV Gods bless hospital stays.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Loved the beach scene with Linda and Amenadiel.

Definitely my favorite scene this episode!  The Monopoly game is 2nd.  That cracked me up.

Edited by AlleC17
  • Love 2

Police procedurals are a dime a dozen and this show works best when the Celestials are front and center.  However the loss of Mom and Maze (due to Leslie-Anne Brandt's maternity leave) has left us down in that department, so most of that this week came from Amenadiel and Linda's scenes, which were the best of the episode.  She's the only one in the cast with any kind of Celestial connection other than Lucifer left (Chloe had maze and Dan had Mom).  I didn't mind Charlotte and Ella's interactions.  Charlotte wants to be a good person and doesn't have any idea how.  I think it would be cool if either of them or both ended up in the know about the Celestials.

I understand the writers saying Lucifer felt like he was being manipulated and therefore is retreating into his old self sounds like a good idea on paper but I'm not sure how well it plays out on screen since we've lost a lot of Lucifer's Celestial connections as well (Mom's gone and we haven't seen Maze in several episodes), and with the loss of his devil face all we get the "What do you desire" scene, which seems to be about once an episode now.  There's been no mention of his wings for several eps now.  It almost feels like between the standalones from last year and Leslie-Anne's maternity leave, we're in a holding pattern until the real story can begin.

• Love 3

I don't understand why this show is trying so hard to be boring when it could be amazing. I'm not surprised so many people liked the scene with Linda and Amenadiel at the beach: that's the real stuff. That's what makes this show different. Please, more scenes like this one. 

Luci needs to stop lying to himself. Please again. Although I loved the bit about Oscar Wilde. Lucifer is more interesting when he's allowed to be Lucifer instead of Barney Stinson.

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems about Chloe right now is that because of her lack of knowledge, she's reduced to care about the least interesting part of the story: the crimes. And where's her character arc this season? Where's she going? It's like she's in stand-by, waiting for the moment of the big reveal. 

I really like Charlotte; I think it's the actress. I'm not sure I like her new partnership with Ella, though. That "please, teach me to be good" makes me think of The Good Place and Ella's just a second-rate copy of Chidi. 

I'm still thinking of that beautiful, amazing scene at the beach, 

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

I don't understand why this show is trying so hard to be boring when it could be amazing. I'm not surprised so many people liked the scene with Linda and Amenadiel at the beach: that's the real stuff. That's what makes this show different. Please, more scenes like this one. 

I know. This show had so much potential. It promised something unique. I think part of why I enjoy Linda so much is that she gives me more of the story I was hoping for. She's a mortal dealing with discovering her lover turned friend is actually the devil, that her friends include an actual angel and a demon from hell, and after an initial freak out, totally understandable, she has come to accept this and have them in her life. At this point I'd rather watch Celestial Therapy with Dr. Linda than Castle staring the Devil. I really have zero interest in the cases of the week with the rare exception of when it taps into some angel stuff. The case of the week had nothing to do with Lucy being the devil. Any crime of the week procedural cops could have cracked the case. There was no real reason for Lucy to be involved in it. He's basically just a cop without a badge rather than a consultant to is brought in for special cases. 

Sadly, the parts of the show I like are few and far between these days. With trying to shove Charlotte into the show, adding this new guy, the temporary loss of Maze and Amendude being MIA until now, this season had been quite hard to watch. 

• Love 3

The scene with Amenadiel and Linda on the beach was definitely the highlight of the episode. That was truly an interesting scene, where mortal shrink Linda has to really deal with the fact that, not only has it been confirmed that the Judaeo Christian afterlife and mythology is real, but she is pals with several angels, demons, and the literal Devil. It was just a really great, well done sequence where I understood where the characters were coming from, and dealt with issues that come about with the premise of the show. 

I also thought Ella and Charlotte was pretty good, even though they're trying rather too hard to keep Tricia on the show now that Mom is gone. At least her being a lawyer gives her a reason to stick around, and I thought Ella hit a decent mix of quirky and reasonable. I do hope we get more of Dan and Charlotte, and more of Dan in general. Dan hasn't gotten to really do anything but be in the background of other peoples stories and be comic belief. 

The story itself was just kind of weird. If Lucifer is the Lord of Lies, and has been for thousands of years, why is he so shocked that people lie about how cool they are? Is it that shocking to the Devil that people make themselves look cooler than Instagram than they really are? Pretty sure I had that figured out within 15 minutes of getting on Facebookfor the first time when I was 17. I guess its a good message (that you shouldn't obsess about being perceived as cool and worldly and experiencing serious FOMO* and instead be yourself), but it was weird seeing Lucifer learning that. Also, why were they going on about how Plain Jane the dead woman was? We didn't see much of her, but I thought she was prettier than the Instagram famous roommate. Of course, this show also thinks Dan is just an average Joe looks wise, so who knows how this universe works? 

I actually laughed out loud when the guy said how interesting Chloe is just looking at her. Chloe is the most boring mom/detective/former scream queen in the history of LA. I like Chloe alright, but I am just so over everyone going on and on about how great she is, instead of showing us! She is being built up as the most awesome exciting woman ever, but she`s the least interesting person in the series. 

I did enjoy the comments about Lucifer's rather liberal sexual mores (Wilde was straight before I met him) but I admit to side eyeing how his bisexuality seems to only really be talked about every once in awhile, while we constantly see him only checking out hot women, or hooking up with an endless parade of half naked sexy ladies. I get that some bisexual people lean towards one gender in general while also sometimes going for the other, but it seems awful convenient that, after getting millions of references to Lucifer hitting on and gushing over hot chicks, and maybe three references to his interest in guys per season, no one really needs to actually SEE any non hetero action. 

*Fear Of Missing Out. Its real. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

OMG, sadly, that is the prefect description. That is NOT the Lucifer I signed up for.

What really got me was when the dating site guy was all "you are just the type we want" and he meant Chloe. I was like, um, why? She's got limp, mousy hair, she's average looking, she's wearing basic cop clothes, there is absolutely nothing special about her. She is about as average as it is possible to get. She's not stylish or rich, she's not interesting or witty, she's not even a natural beauty, she's just...there. Of course it was just to prop up the writers idea that we should all love her and want to be her and that she's so much better than she really is, but it just came across so stupid.

All the various reasons you mention are why she's the type they want.  Chloe is attractive but not a supermodel.  She dresses in a fairly average way.  She looks like a normal, approachable person.  She looks like a person that someone who is fairly average looking (which is most people) might have a chance to get a date with.  Think about the idea of Charlotte Richards, who is gorgeous, rich and far from average.  Do you think the people who needs to consult a dating site would look at her and think "Yeah, she'll definitely want to my chubby, sloppy ass?"  With Chloe, there's at least a "maybe she'll think I'm funny" factor.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course, this show also thinks Dan is just an average Joe looks wise, so who knows how this universe works?

A couple of people have said this, but on a few occasions, and in this episode in particular, all I see is Lucifer putting down Dan's attractiveness (as part of his general "tease and torment Daniel whenever the opportunity arises" policy), while Dan is actually who the latest murder victim's over-the-top roommate wants a selfie with. Chloe was married to the guy for years, and the Goddess of All Creation acknowledged she had the hots for him after her initial seduction of him just to use him. Even Lucifer admired Dan's build in the ep where they headed into a sauna wearing only towels.

• Love 6

Pretty much agree that Linda/Amenadiel was the highlight of this episode by far.  I always enjoy their interactions and history, and I liked them bringing up Linda's near-death experience, and the downside of now knowing what kind of afterlife is in store for humans, and that can effect a person.  But, again, it really is also just the character interactions between them is so great, and both of the actors really work well together.

Call me crazy, but I actually kind of like the idea of Ella "mentoring" Charlotte and teaching her how to be a better person in order to avoid Hell.  If nothing else, I felt like Ella was way less obnoxious then she has been lately, so I'm all for it if it means she will continue to do so.

Other then that, yeah, not my favorite episode.  The case was boring and I called the killer in the first scene, and Lucifer suddenly freaking out over being boring does nothing for me.  I get that they are trying to show a more insecure side of him and Tom Ellis did what he could, but I just have problems buying that Lucifer would be that off his game because of it.  Outside of calling the "dumbbell hiding in the fireplace" moment, I don't think he got anything else right tonight, and that seems pretty extreme to me.

Dan continues to steal scenes with his reactions and deadpan lines, but I'm feeling like he's been underused this season.  Then again, I feel like the show has been struggling with their side characters compared to the past seasons.  Maze I can understand (even though I really find it frustrating, because her absence is felt big time), but there has even been episode with no Linda and Amenadiel.  I'm not sure if the writers are struggling with coming up with new ideas or they have too much on their plate with keeping Charlotte aboard and bringing in Price, but it's noticeable.  I hope they figure it out soon. 

• Love 2

My thoughts on the whole third season so far... extremely and really really uninteresting, albeit for episode one and perhaps Maze centric one. The rest is just like... random fillers put in from no where. What happened to the humour, to the supernatural element of season one and two? This is not the same Lucifer as it was before, that's for sure. It became just simple cop show now.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I know. This show had so much potential. It promised something unique. I think part of why I enjoy Linda so much is that she gives me more of the story I was hoping for. She's a mortal dealing with discovering her lover turned friend is actually the devil, that her friends include an actual angel and a demon from hell, and after an initial freak out, totally understandable, she has come to accept this and have them in her life. At this point I'd rather watch Celestial Therapy with Dr. Linda than Castle staring the Devil.

14 hours ago, Helena Dax said:

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems about Chloe right now is that because of her lack of knowledge, she's reduced to care about the least interesting part of the story: the crimes. And where's her character arc this season? Where's she going? It's like she's in stand-by, waiting for the moment of the big reveal.

6 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

My thoughts on the whole third season so far... extremely and really really uninteresting, albeit for episode one and perhaps Maze centric one. The rest is just like... random fillers put in from no where. What happened to the humour, to the supernatural element of season one and two? This is not the same Lucifer as it was before, that's for sure. It became just simple cop show now.

All of this I think speaks to what I feel is missing from this season. The writers or producers have made a major misstep in giving all of the supernatural knowledge to Linda and none to Chloe. This automatically means Linda's relationships with Lucifer, Amenadiel, Maze, and any other celestial beings are infinitely more layered and complicated than Chloe's are. It automatically makes her MUCH more interesting than Chloe, because she's the one who's grappling with all of the existential questions that this knowledge brings up- instead of the female lead. And it doesn't help that Linda has a little sparkle that's just not there in Chloe the way she's written as a pretty average suburban working mom. If Chloe believed that Lucifer is literally who he says he is (I mean, he's never backed off on that), and if she knew that she had some part in whatever celestial chess game is going on with him, wouldn't that make for a far more intriguing show?

I miss Maze, but I get that babies gotta baby. I hope she comes back next ep.

Edited by maxineofarc
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, wilnil said:

A couple of people have said this, but on a few occasions, and in this episode in particular, all I see is Lucifer putting down Dan's attractiveness (as part of his general "tease and torment Daniel whenever the opportunity arises" policy), while Dan is actually who the latest murder victim's over-the-top roommate wants a selfie with. Chloe was married to the guy for years, and the Goddess of All Creation acknowledged she had the hots for him after her initial seduction of him just to use him. Even Lucifer admired Dan's build in the ep where they headed into a sauna wearing only towels.

It’s not so much that others on the show are attractive, of course they are. But when the series started, Lucifer was magnetic. People were drawn to him, all eyes were on him, people noticed when he entered a room. Chloe alone was immune to his charms. This  was not at all the case here. In fact it was reversed, with Lucifer being passed over and ignored.  Is this intentional on the writers’s part? Is Lucifer losing that charisma? Or is it a case of writing characters to fit this week’s story with no thought,  just lazy writing? I don’t like this Lucifer. 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, johntfs said:

Think about the idea of Charlotte Richards, who is gorgeous, rich and far from average. 

Is she still rich?  Is she still a practicing lawyer or did she mention being disbarred when she was talking in one of the early episodes this season.  
I remember her saying she'd lost custody of her children and that hit me and got me thinking to the extent I missed the rest of the changes she reeled off. 

Didn't she say she'd stolen some of the stuff she gave to the police; wouldn't that make the stuff tainted and inadmissable?

• Love 1

Is it just me or whats going on, previous episode was placed two weeks after Ch and L met, then year passed and Linda's husband was killed. If this episode has Charlotte as a normal person, isnt't it recent stuff? So why linda is preparing funeral for her husband!

I just watched the pilot again and omg, Luci has changed so much.... And not in the good way. Back in the pilot he was more serious and mature than he is now. You really could believe he was the Devil in human flesh, someone who had seen things. You could tell there was darkness below the surface, a brooding soul. Now he's a parody of himself.

The thing is, I think Tom Ellis is awesome and the writers are talented (the beach scene is the proof), so maybe, maybe, they know what they're doing. Maybe Lucifer is losing it and he knows it and that's why he's being over-the-top. In the end, he's fighting against his feelings for Chloe, not only because he doesn't want to become a shoe, but also because that would imply accepting something from God and we all know how he feels about Dad. Isn't pride Lucifer's main sin, according to Christianity? I want to believe that's the explanation. But I also remember Sleepy Hollow and then I'm scared. 

• Love 2