Type keyword(s) to search

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Anticipation

• Start Topic

I think dread might be the more appropriate term.  I love the books and have reread them numerous times.  I like the Peter Jackson adaptations, even though they could be bloated.  The series is some kind of prequel?   Who on earth can be trusted to come up with stories that don't tarnish the original source material?

• Love 3

The Silmarilion and the History of Middle Earth series provide enough stories for this thing to outrun NCIS. Since the Tolkien estate is involved it clearly looks as they have access to those materials. That could be intriguing - at least for Tolkien fans. Not sure how much the rest of the world cares for the destruction of Telperion, Beren and Luthien or Turin's tale. But the bigger problem (at least for die-hard Tolkien fans) is that there's little HBO grit in those tales. If Amazon intends to turn this into the next GoT things could get ugly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

For marketability, I can see them focusing on younger versions of characters that appear in "Lord of the Rings".  A Young Aragorn leaving Rivendell for the first time, for example, adjusting to life in the wild, seeking answers about his past, meeting Gandalf, yearning after Arwen, and travelling different lands going on adventures and participating in battles.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Camera One said:

For marketability, I can see them focusing on younger versions of characters that appear in "Lord of the Rings".  A Young Aragorn leaving Rivendell for the first time, for example, adjusting to life in the wild, seeking answers about his past, meeting Gandalf, yearning after Arwen, and travelling different lands going on adventures and participating in battles.  

Not a bad idea, although it likely limits you to only 2 or 3 of the main characters unless you are telling completely separate stories, since most of the group did not know one another prior to the events of FotR.

I would be really interested in a show that follows the events of LotR, chronicling the final gasps of magic in a world where it is fading away. This would allow the writers to draw on the rich history Tolkien created, while cutting out their own story.

If you set it close enough to the end of the books/movies you can still draw on some popular characters.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:56 PM, MissLucas said:

The Silmarilion and the History of Middle Earth series provide enough stories for this thing to outrun NCIS. Since the Tolkien estate is involved it clearly looks as they have access to those materials.

The Tolkien Estate has said that The Silmarillion will never be licensed for adaptation, and I've seen no indication that anything has changed in that regard.  Tolkien himself gave out the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, so that's why those were able to made into movies.  I'm really curious to see what this "prequel" entails.  I'm happy about it, because even though Peter Jackson's versions were pretty good, I'd like to see another vision of Middle Earth on the screen.  I bet there are as many ways to imagine Middle Earth as there are readers.  Maybe we'll finally see Bombadil get his due.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

The Tolkien Estate has said that The Silmarillion will never be licensed for adaptation, and I've seen no indication that anything has changed in that regard.  

Christopher Tolkien just stepped down from the estate, and he has largely been the one reluctant to allow adaptations.

• Love 3

Plus the appendices of LOTR have brief outlines of the major stories from the Sil, so those can be used as source material.  But I have a hunch the concept will be more about the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor to appeal to GoT fans, or maybe something about the rangers.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2017 at 6:46 PM, Camera One said:

They could also do the back story on the Istari and how they came to be in Middle Earth. How Gandalf was given the Elven  Ring of Power Narya and maybe even what the wizards really look like since it the book it says they came in the guise of old men.

1 hour ago, Cirien said:

On a serious note: Arwen/ Luthien - Kaya Scodelario? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kaya+scodelario&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu17m9ncTXAhWCSRoKHUj6DyoQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=934#imgrc=32z-jbLlWiXIIM:

I mean she's no Liv ( and fuck it if they do the tale of Luthien and Beren then have Liv appear as Melian but she could work with the right hair/ make up 

Interesting. I've been listening to Silmfilm and thought Natalie Portman. But I can see Scodelario.

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

Interesting. I've been listening to Silmfilm and thought Natalie Portman. But I can see Scodelario.

I mean I would agree with you if the LoTR films aren't so prominent in people's minds and if we didn't have a specific description of her. ( and yes I know they made Boromir and Faramir fair haired) but Luthien is so closely tied to Tolkien's *wife* who we have a description for, that anything else other than someone who had a long face with blue ( err grey) eyes and dark hair it'd be like "huh?" Not to mention she's very petite. Nearly all of the elves that were shown on screen were *tall* 

I can see her playing Haleth or someone like her if they get access to those stories 

I totally forgot about eyes. But Scodelario is only eight cm taller according to google. That's still on the short side for an elf.

On another topic, Charles Dance as Gandalf? Nothing against Ian McKellan, but he's a little past the obligatory action scenes. But would Dance be up for another fantasy epic?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Joe said:

I totally forgot about eyes. But Scodelario is only eight cm taller according to google. That's still on the short side for an elf.

On another topic, Charles Dance as Gandalf? Nothing against Ian McKellan, but he's a little past the obligatory action scenes. But would Dance be up for another fantasy epic?

Charles Dance for Gandalf???? ohhhhhhh playing against type I like it!!!!

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 9:18 PM, Joe said:

Charles Dance & James Frain are 2 guys that always exude shadiness regardless of character alignment...so yeah...Frodo & Sam legitimately conflicted about following a shady wizard would be interesting...

5 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Well, if we're talking British actors being good at shady I offer Rufus Sewell as Fëanor (I don't care what the Tolkien trust used to say about the Sil with Christopher Tolkien gone all bets are off).

I would alway picture Joaquin Phoenix as Feanor. He and Rufus do look a lot alike. 

Don't get me started on Jackson's Faramir - the hair-color was the least offense in that character assassination!

That said: agreed about the casting in general. One character that will give them a major headache's gotta be Galadriel. Whether they go for the Sil or closer to the events of LOTR - she's always around. And replacing Galadriel will be as hard as replacing Gandalf.

• Love 5
Spoiler

In the books Faramir was considered to be more Numerorian than Boromir. But Sam went a step further and told Faramir that he reminded him of the old folks (the Elves) - which might was true since legend has it that Denethor's wife came from a family tree with rumored Elvish blood (like Imrahil). Book Faramir was a damn perfect hero (forget about Aragorn) . He gets a rather long entry in the LOTR Wiki in the list of major differences between books and movies so I'd rather quote that (because otherwise I'm in danger of sounding less than coherent):

The personality of Faramir and of the Rangers of Ithilien was substantially altered in the screenplay. In the book, Faramir is quite unlike his brother, and even before he understood what was Isildur's Bane from his dream, he swore an oath to Frodo to never take it up or even to desire it to save Gondor. In the movie, when he became aware of the enemy's Ring in Frodo's possession, he decided to take him and Sam to the White City instead of allowing them to pass on their way unhindered. However, unlike his brother, he does not claim the Ring for himself. He initially intends to take the Ring as a gift for his father. He also does not react with anger when Frodo refuses to give him the Ring. Moreover, in the book, he and his men were wise, trustworthy, and kind. When they captured Gollum, they treated him with gentleness and kindness. In the movie, Faramir's men beat and tortured Gollum, treating him with malice and cruelty. This was altogether contrary to the nature of men of Gondor.

Edited by SilverStormm
Added spoiler tag
  • Love 3

ICA MissLucas.

Spoiler

Faramir never tried to take the Ring to Gondor. "Not even if I found it in the Road." was his attitude. That drove me crazy when they changed that in the movies. It felt like an insult to the viewers, that they didn't trust us enough to realize that, yes, the Ring corrupts. We got that, they didn't have to use Faramir to hammer it home.

Edited by SilverStormm
Added spoiler tag
  • Love 5

It could feature completely different characters just take place in the same universe and prior to the events of LOTR's. I've never read the Similian, but maybe they could borrow stuff from it.

I'm not really interest in seeing younger version of the characters as they didn't know each other prior to LOTR's and their stories already been told in the movies.

Poor Faramir and his daddy issues. ?  The writing of his character was mostly horrible. The only glimpses of book Faramir were when he talked with Pippin and Eowyn. The ginger hair didn't bother me so much since he and Sean Bean could pass for brothers. Same Nose of Gondor. (John Noble too.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, paigow said:

Charles Dance & James Frain are 2 guys that always exude shadiness regardless of character alignment...so yeah...Frodo & Sam legitimately conflicted about following a shady wizard would be interesting...

That would really work. I've long felt that Gandalf is a bit 'the ends justify the means'. Witness him drafting Bilbo for an adventure, and then convincing Frodo to head off later.

And oh my god, Faramir. That's why TTT is the weakest of the movies, despite all the great Rohan stuff. I still remember getting out of the movie and going on a long rant.

• Love 2
On 11/14/2017 at 6:41 PM, Frost said:

I think dread might be the more appropriate term.  

Bingo. What an inherently shitty idea a LOTR is.

I haven't really seen the Shannara TV series. How badly did they bungle that?

Old Bilbo.....Richard Dreyfuss? I have no imagination for these things but whatever! I love the books and it's fun.  

I would think after the whole Harry Potter franchise I would be sick of Daniel Radcliffe but I could deal with him as a hobbit 

I would gladly have Alexander Dreymon ala Uhtred from The Last Kingdom or half that cast come play LOTR

Ian Glenn as Gandolf? 

• Love 1

Anyone have the Alan Lee illustrated editions? If so, go look at his picture for the Prancing Pony scene. In the top right corper, the man wearing a hat. Is it just me, or does he kind of look like Alfrid from the Hobbit movies?

On 14/11/2017 at 10:00 PM, paigow said:

Aragorn......Mark Wahlberg

Gollum [Voice]...Nicolas Cage

Gandalf...Jeff Goldblum

Old Bilbo: Al Pacino

You're joking, right? Because I cannot....think of anyone worse...other than turning a Kardashian into an Elf.

On 18/11/2017 at 4:25 PM, peacheslatour said:

The casting in the movies was fantastic. The only quibble I had was with casting of Faramir. In the book he was described as raven haired with the air of w izards. I pictured someone like a British Johnnie Depp. Somebody like Aiden Turner. 

Yes, I agree. So difficult to forget the wonderful cast of the films. I can't even think of good possibilities, especially of the leads. You would want to cast young, and I am not as familiar with the younger actors coming up. I did just see Red Dog: True Blue though, and I think the young lead Levi Miller (he's now 16, I believe), would be good as Frodo.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5920962/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

Maybe Patton Oswald as Bilbo. Danny Strong as Merry or Pippin. I am completely blank when it comes to casting anyone else,

• Love 1

Well this is interesting news.

In addition to the news that Amazon’s complicated deal for the TV rights to Lord of the Rings includes the ability to “use material from the films,” a report is suggesting that Amazon may be going back to the original well in more ways than one. Lord of the Rings fan-site The One Ring is reporting that Amazon is actively seeking writers and directors for their billion-dollar adaptation, and one of those collaborators is none other than Peter Jackson.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saoirse said:

Please let that just be a rumour. I don't support anything Peter Jackson does any more. He completely and utterly fucked up the Hobbit. Not just creatively, but managed to fuck the actors over too. If he's involved, I might not be able to watch it, no matter how good it is.

• Love 3
On 5/9/2018 at 12:09 AM, Joe said:

Please let that just be a rumour. I don't support anything Peter Jackson does any more. He completely and utterly fucked up the Hobbit. Not just creatively, but managed to fuck the actors over too. If he's involved, I might not be able to watch it, no matter how good it is.

Jackson did about as good a job as anyone would have.  It would be impossible to please everyone, or maybe even to please one person completely.  But I don't want him to be involved.  We've seen his vision of Middle Earth already, I want to see someone else's.

I'm sure there are as many versions of Middle Earth in people's heads as there are readers.  Give someone else a chance.

• Love 3
On 6/6/2018 at 8:59 PM, Joe said:

Good news! Jackson is no longer involved with the series. I might be able to watch it now.

I'm so thankful.  I don't think Jackson did a terrible job.  I don't agree with everything he did by any means, but he did okay.  But we've more than seen enough of what he can do.  

I just really, really, really, really, really want to see someone else's vision of Middle Earth.

• Love 1