Type keyword(s) to search

Christmas Cookie Challenge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

I wish Food Network would stop having Dan as a judge.   He's always so negative and condescending.  As a judge, he's basically Melissa D'Arabian for the baking world. 

I agree with this 100%, and I am really glad to hear that I am not the only one that thinks Melissa D'Arabian is the worst "judge" on food network, and an all around not very nice person.

• Love 5
On 11/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, ShelleySue said:

I noticed something about the slice and bake (or whatever they are called) cookies.  Everyone used a lot of food coloring.  The guy who eventually one (the dog biscuit bakery guy) even used black food coloring on the base of his snow globe.  On other cooking shows they always talk about how too much food coloring, especially black, gives food an artificial, chemically flavor.  I thought it was weird that no one mentioned that at all.  As a matter of a fact, the only time taste in relation to a color was discussed was when the same baker (I can't remember his name) used metalic paint on his centerpiece cookies.

There is no way those cookies could have tasted good.  I made these black cauldron cookies at Halloween, and they were just plain nasty.  The amount of food coloring you have to put in to make black is ridiculous.  Even all the other ones would have way to much food coloring.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kj4ever said:

There is no way those cookies could have tasted good.  I made these black cauldron cookies at Halloween, and they were just plain nasty.  The amount of food coloring you have to put in to make black is ridiculous.  Even all the other ones would have way to much food coloring.

I've made black cookies. However I use a chocolate base. That way I end up using very little dye. Same with buttercream, always use a chocolate fudge base.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Maverick said:

I wish Food Network would stop having Dan as a judge.   He's always so negative and condescending.  As a judge, he's basically Melissa D'Arabian for the baking world. 

Lol, besides Ree Drummond, the other judges are way too picky for me. How can they meet the requirements of someone who likes cookies baked less, to someone who insists the cookie is raw if not baked crispy.  And to say they taste like dough & not cookie? That's bullarky. And was rude, imo.

• Love 9
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, SoCal Mema said:

I don't know why they like to give us former football players for hosts on these shows.  Eddie (I'm aware he is also now a chef, but...) and Jesse.

Probably Eddie gets to host because he won "Food Network Star."  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I did like the Dog biscuit baker! His first cookies were really beautiful and I could actually see using his Christmas trees in the center of a table. If used in "real life" they would probably not be eaten so the flavor wouldn't be a problem.

The one place I had to laugh was the woman who worried that Ree would not like her cookies! Not sure when Ree became a cookie expert or actually a real cook!

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, suebee12 said:

worried that Ree would not like her cookies! Not sure when Ree became a cookie expert or actually a real cook!

100% agree!!! She is annoying and too fond of herself, and her and Katie Lee are tied for worse voice ever!!

• Love 8

What on earth happened to Eddie Jackson!?  I don't remember him being so stiff and awkward as a host.  A Food Network executive apparently told him to talk more like a Christopher Walken impersonator.  "Whose cookie...... will make the judges....... happy?"  He still has some nice candid moments with the bakers and the judges, but his scripted comments are distractingly weird.

This show annoys me in that it's only about the decorating and not the cookie itself.  All of the cookies look so thick and they basically use the same recipe or a variation thereof.  I wish it was more about the taste of the cookies.

My friend's daughter went to culinary/baking school.  She decorates cakes so beautifully that it takes my breath away.  The taste itself? Eh...They are never fresh and I suspect that she uses cake mix.  I'd rather have a freshly baked from scratch cake with a plain icing.  Am I alone at this table?

• Love 21
10 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

This show annoys me in that it's only about the decorating and not the cookie itself.  All of the cookies look so thick and they basically use the same recipe or a variation thereof.  I wish it was more about the taste of the cookies.

I COMPLETELY agree. 

• Love 6

I saw the rerun from last season or so, and it had Lexi Martone (from Unpolished) as a contestant, with her Witch-mas cookies.       I'm so glad the other contestant won, Kima (or something like that) who actually embraced the theme of the show, and did pretty, seasonal cookies.    

• Love 8

Christmas cookies are not just decorated sugar cookies and gingerbread, Food Network! When I was a kid, my mom used to make probably ten different types of cookies at Christmas. It would be really interesting to see what other families have at Christmas, not just watch people "flood" with "royal" week after week. 

I thought the most recent episode with the houses as the second challenge the bakers were particularly unimpressive. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, librarianbeck said:

It would be really interesting to see what other families have at Christmas, not just watch people "flood" with "royal" week after week. 

they should call this the "royal icing competition."

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
On 11/18/2019 at 5:52 AM, librarianbeck said:

Christmas cookies are not just decorated sugar cookies and gingerbread, Food Network! When I was a kid, my mom used to make probably ten different types of cookies at Christmas. It would be really interesting to see what other families have at Christmas, not just watch people "flood" with "royal" week after week. 

I thought the most recent episode with the houses as the second challenge the bakers were particularly unimpressive. 

Yes!!! In my bakery I make all different kinds of Christmas cookies-decorated is just a small bit. And I only use buttercream-I don't use royal icing as it tastes like crap(IMO).

• Love 7
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, luvapickle said:

Yes!!! In my bakery I make all different kinds of Christmas cookies-decorated is just a small bit. And I only use buttercream-I don't use royal icing as it tastes like crap(IMO).

Perhaps they should change the name to Christmas Cooking Decorating instead of baking.

• Love 6
On 11/17/2019 at 2:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I saw the rerun from last season or so, and it had Lexi Martone (from Unpolished) as a contestant, with her Witch-mas cookies. 

I'll be the first to admit I watch a lot of trashy "reality" shows (90 Day Fiance, Love After Lockup to name two). I REFUSE to watch Unpolished, and when I read your comment about the Witch-mas cookie woman, I was catapulted back to how much I disliked her in the cookie show. I was so over her SCHTICK about how different and cool she thought she was. If you have to tell everyone and shove crap down everyone's throats, you really aren't that cool. Cemented my decision to not watch Unpolished -- that show seems out of control, full of loud, angry, tacky people.

Back to last night's episode -- my DVR cut off right before the winner was announced - WHO WON? I'm bad with names, please let me know name AND house they built, if you would be so kind....

I really liked the Korean Christmas house - adorable!!

• Love 3

I loved her house also but I thought the man's house was better constructed...but both of them (actually all three of them but I disliked the Texas woman so much (and I'm from Texas so that's saying something) that I didn't care for her to win) were really cute.  The special ingredient was pretty much a wash in all three contestants' entries, wasn't it?

• Love 4
On 11/17/2019 at 11:35 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I saw the rerun from last season or so, and it had Lexi Martone (from Unpolished) as a contestant, with her Witch-mas cookies. 

I remember her, and her claim she made up "Witch-mas".

I did love the Korean house, and how cute the baker was about telling Eddie how handsome she thought he was.

• Love 6
On 11/19/2019 at 7:53 AM, luvapickle said:

Those cookies are beautiful for the most part, but I still cringe seeing all of that super sweet goo go on the cookies. I don't even like the "white stuff" in the middle of an Oreo. I scrape it off! I also do not like icing on a cake(well, I do like cream cheese icing)! I want to taste the cake. My favorite cake of all time is a Mayonnaise cake... a deep, dark rich chocolate cake that I sprinkle 10X sugar on it. YUM, YUM. If you have never had a piece, look up the recipe and try it!

• Love 3
On 11/23/2019 at 3:43 AM, dleighg said:

Proving the point was one of the judges saying that the modeling chocolate on top essentially ruined the "perfect shortbread cookie." I really don't get the appeal of these over-decorated cookies.

I agree.  They might be fun at a themed party of some sort but when you create a cookie that has close to a half-inch or more of sugary decoration on it, you might as well stick it on any flavor cookie because you're certainly not going to taste it.

• Love 2

I'm watching a repeat now, and the one who claimed to be the only baker who uses salted butter and then didn't know how much salt to add annoys me so much!  And she keeps licking her fingers AND itching her nose.  Like, if you are a real baker or cook- you learn NOT to touch your face when you are in the kitchen!  Or maybe that is just me as a nurse and a baker. 🤣

• Love 8
On 11/15/2019 at 3:45 PM, NYGirl said:

My friend's daughter went to culinary/baking school.  She decorates cakes so beautifully that it takes my breath away.  The taste itself? Eh...They are never fresh and I suspect that she uses cake mix.  I'd rather have a freshly baked from scratch cake with a plain icing.  Am I alone at this table?

I've seen lots of these baking shows. I'm always surprised when the baker says, "I've decided to make a vanilla sugar cookie." Really!?! The judges are probably tired of those, too. I understand that the bakers want to make something plain and get to the decorating part but they can certainly do a delicious variation on it. 

Even with a simple recipe they always seem to have a baker that says "oh no, I forgot the  sugar" or the eggs, or whatever. I've wondered if that is scripted. I'm sure they are under pressure but still, it's a sugar cookie. 

I really liked the dog biscuit baker and his snow globe cookies. His concept and execution of the cookies was very well thought out. They looked beautiful, but ITA with everyone regarding if they really tasted good or not. Flavor doesn't seem to be much of a factor. It's all about the decorating and how it looks on these shows. I'd rather have a delicious cookie. 

Ree is a positive person and doesn't want to crush a baker's feelings. That baker screwed up. They aren't going to win, so why make them feel like a total failure on tv. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, omgtv said:

I'm watching a repeat now, and the one who claimed to be the only baker who uses salted butter and then didn't know how much salt to add annoys me so much!  And she keeps licking her fingers AND itching her nose.  Like, if you are a real baker or cook- you learn NOT to touch your face when you are in the kitchen!  Or maybe that is just me as a nurse and a baker. 🤣

I will never for the life of me understand why people use salted butter when they bake.  Why on earth wouldn't they want to control the salt content and use unsalted?

• Love 4

If you always use the same brand of salted butter, you might be okay. However, if you go for what is on sale that week, it could lead to an inconsistent taste.

I would have been fine with either the Snowflake topper or the Santa coming down the chimney winning. I just wish the guy had used the same red icing on Santa's bag as he did the hat instead of leaving it plain with writing on it.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Popples said:

I just wish the guy had used the same red icing on Santa's bag as he did the hat instead of leaving it plain with writing on it.

Yeah.  He ran out of time.  I really thought he deserved the win nevertheless.  His Santa and chimney were good and his construction was solid unlike the snowflake one that wasn't and also had flaws hidden by pulled sugar.  I was surprised that they didn't try putting the toppers on a tree or at least something pyramidal to see if they were actually functional.

I always enjoy seeing Eddie.  He's much better when he's not scripted so I get a kick out of him walking around talking to the contestants.

• Love 7
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:38 PM, suebee12 said:

Those cookies are beautiful for the most part, but I still cringe seeing all of that super sweet goo go on the cookies. I don't even like the "white stuff" in the middle of an Oreo. I scrape it off! I also do not like icing on a cake(well, I do like cream cheese icing)! I want to taste the cake. My favorite cake of all time is a Mayonnaise cake... a deep, dark rich chocolate cake that I sprinkle 10X sugar on it. YUM, YUM. If you have never had a piece, look up the recipe and try it!

We could be twins - I feel the exact same way about icing in general (even to liking cream cheese icing). It's just all so gross. 

I fell asleep watching so I don't know what the final three did (and I didn't care enough to rewind) but it just irks me to no end how these bakers worship Ree (SP?). I hate her with the power of 1000 suns. Is it part of the contract they sign that they have to suck up to her whether they like it or not? Have I somehow missed her being a force in the world of massively over decorated cookies? I'm perplexed!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I really enjoy watching this show.  I like to see the different flavor combos and how creative some of the bakers are with the designs.  I also have a great deal of respect for Ree Drummond and what she is doing for her little town in Oklahoma.  So many small towns are dying and her family is bringing theirs back to life. YMMV.

• Love 4

My apologies if this is in reference to an older season, but but my DVR is set to record both old and new episodes. Anyway, it was the episode with Kirstie Mas, because I remember her distinctive Christmas name. I also agree with the judges for selecting her as the winner.

However, what I wanted to comment on was Melissa, or whatever her name was. She's the one that had so much trouble unwrapping the candy canes. I don't even really remember what she made since I've done deleted the episode off my DVR and it's been a few days since I saw it. I just remember being amused by, and identifying with, her hot mess meltdown trying to open the candy canes. I feel you!

On 11/13/2019 at 3:52 PM, ruffy666 said:

What on earth happened to Eddie Jackson!?  I don't remember him being so stiff and awkward as a host.  A Food Network executive apparently told him to talk more like a Christopher Walken impersonator.  "Whose cookie...... will make the judges....... happy?"  He still has some nice candid moments with the bakers and the judges, but his scripted comments are distractingly weird.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:43 PM, mlp said:

I always enjoy seeing Eddie.  He's much better when he's not scripted so I get a kick out of him walking around talking to the contestants.

I adore Eddie. He's so much more charming when he's just chatting on his own with the contestants than when he's "on script." I suspect that he's gotten notes from FN execs about staying on script because of the word choice/grammar issues that sometimes creep into his off the cuff remarks. I wish they'd give him more freedom to just be himself.

• Love 7

I don't usually make fun of people. But, I thought was hilarious when the contestant bragged that she "didn't come here to lose"... and promptly lost in the first round. Heh! Girl, concentrate less on bragging and more on not being a hot mess on national TV. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Wow, I really enjoyed the man on the latest episode! Loved his mask...blew everyone away in MHO! And then his final work was fantastic! Really liked his squashed elf and everyone seemed to enjoy his cookies also. I didn't think there was even a contest between the three in the final.

I wrote this yesterday but didn't hit the "Submit" button. I think all of these awful ads is doing this to me!!!

• Love 8
On 12/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, suebee12 said:

Wow, I really enjoyed the man on the latest episode! Loved his mask...blew everyone away in MHO! And then his final work was fantastic! Really liked his squashed elf and everyone seemed to enjoy his cookies also. I didn't think there was even a contest between the three in the final.

I wrote this yesterday but didn't hit the "Submit" button. I think all of these awful ads is doing this to me!!!

I just had the chance to watch this episode.  I’m with you — the winner (Scott) is one of my favorites in all of the shows.  Major, major talent and seems like such a lovely guy.  Hope we see him again on FN.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Shorty186 said:

Who ended up winning on the Monday 12/16 episode? My DVR cut off right before they said the winner's name. It was between the lantern, ornament box and oven. Thanks.

The ornament box with the sphere on top won.

2 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

Who ended up winning on the Monday 12/16 episode? My DVR cut off right before they said the winner's name. It was between the lantern, ornament box and oven. Thanks.

The ornament box.

• Love 1

I love, love, triple love unscripted Eddie! 

I am also confused at bakers choosing to make a vanilla sugar cookie. Even more confused when they say things like, “this recipe has been in my family for YEARS” and proceed to recite totally normal ingredients that pretty much anyone, including non-bakers, would know about. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

Even more confused when they say things like, “this recipe has been in my family for YEARS” and proceed to recite totally normal ingredients that pretty much anyone, including non-bakers, would know about. 

Yeah I think all of us use the "sugar cookie" recipe in either our mother's recipe file, or the Betty Crocker book, or the equivalent. I mean, how many ways are they to make a basic sugar cookie!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

I love, love, triple love unscripted Eddie! 

I am also confused at bakers choosing to make a vanilla sugar cookie. Even more confused when they say things like, “this recipe has been in my family for YEARS” and proceed to recite totally normal ingredients that pretty much anyone, including non-bakers, would know about. 

What confuses me even more is that they don't try out how the dough might behave if they don't chill it. They know they're going to have to bake cookies, so I'm sure they spend some thought on what recipe they could use. Even if they don't settle on what dough to make until they know what they have to make, I'm sure that there are only a small number of recipes they're considering. So, if they make the dough anyway for cookies that they plan to sell, cutting out one cookie of doughs that need to be chilled before chilling the rest of the dough, should be possible.

• Love 4

I'm always puzzled when one of the contestants says he/she is trying a new cookie recipe that they have never made before.  If that's true, seems to be a pretty ridiculous move on their part if they are trying to win $$$.  I would never try something for the first time in a cooking contest. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, laredhead said:

I'm always puzzled when one of the contestants says he/she is trying a new cookie recipe that they have never made before.  If that's true, seems to be a pretty ridiculous move on their part if they are trying to win $$$.  I would never try something for the first time in a cooking contest. 

Yeah, I always say “bullshit!” when they say that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

I believe it was in the last episode that one of the bakers added mulled wine to their dough and said that she didn't know how much because she didn't want the dough to get too wet.

Seriously? A) if you're a professional baker, shouldn't you know those things and b) shouldn't you at least have one dough in your repertoire that uses liquids?

I'm not sure if they add these comments for drama or if they're real. I'm mostly watching for the visual aspect anyway. I really loved a lot of the "use the cookie cutter in a different way" designs on Monday, especially the Christmas mouse one. (And I didn't mind the textured icing one bit, it was a mouse hole after all).

• Love 6