Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E19: Season Finale: Candle Wicks and Lunatics

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don' see how Sydney and Simon posting it absolved Tamra of breaking a promise she explicitly made. Tamra did not need to repost the photo for any reason and if she couldn' respect that one little ask of Sydney than she is trampling other boundaries. Tamra posting it had nothing to do with Sydney and was done only for her image.

I don't think it was one little ask of Sydney and I don't think she was breaking a boundary.  It was already out there.  Look, I don't love Tamra but she's still is this person's mother and I don't think she did it to exploit her daughter.  She did it because she's a mom and was proud of her daughter.  I 'do' get that many would say that Tamra is a famewhore and that's her agenda but I don't think it was in this case.  I just don't think she did it for her image.  She has two other kids she barely talks about.  The relationship with Sydney cuts deep as a parent.

Crap.  I can't even imagine what it would be like not to see or talk to one of my kids for the length of time that Tamra has.  But, it's a two way street.  A child does not have the right to dictate the rules.  They both need to compromise and come to an understanding.  And Simon has to do this as well.  It's so screwed up that they have two children who don't want to be around the other parent.  This is both the parent's fault. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, breezy424 said:

don't think it was one little ask of Sydney and I don't think she was breaking a boundary.  It was already out there. 

Sydney asked her not to and she agreed?how is that not breaking a boundary that they both set? The fact that it was already out there means that there was absolutely no need for Tamra to post it and that she did it even though she told Sydney that she wouldn't.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I don' see how Sydney and Simon posting it absolved Tamra of breaking a promise she explicitly made. Tamra did not need to repost the photo for any reason and if she couldn' respect that one little ask of Sydney than she is trampling other boundaries. Tamra posting it had nothing to do with Sydney and was done only for her image.

Because the photo was already out there, Tamra reposting it wasn't a big deal. It's not like Sydney or Simon keep their SM accounts set on private, they allow everyone/anyone to see/read what they post and they know that the tabloids, bloggers and OC viewers monitor them. If they really wanted privacy, they wouldn't be playing this game. Tamra stopped posting anything about Sydney on her SM like Sydney demanded until they posted a photo that included her in it. Did they have Tamra's permission to post it or is Sydney the only one that has that right? Sydney hates that her mother is on the HW show but has no issue taking money to pay for college that Tamra earns on that hated show. LOL Again, Yes, Tamra should have checked with them before posting it but I do understand why she though it would be Ok, as they had already posted it themselves. IMO, nothing Tamra does/doesn't do will please Sydney outside Tamra quitting the HW show and becoming homeless. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Snarky McSnarky said:

There is a Little Armenia neighborhood in the East Hollywood area of Los Angeles.  From Wikipedia:  The name comes from the large number of Armenian-Americans who live in the area and also from the large number of Armenian stores and businesses that had already opened in the neighborhood by the early 1970s.  One of the major events that occurs in "Little Armenia" is every year on April 24, Armenians gather in Hollywood to take part in a protest for the recognition of Armenian Genocide. Though Hollywood was once home to the biggest Armenian community in the region, Glendale surpassed Hollywood in both the number and proportion of Armenians in population, while Burbank, Pasadena, and La Crescenta also have large Armenian communities but with no special designation.

Little Armenia in the foreground:

little armenia.jpg

Oh ok, well then I stand corrected. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't think most people are disputing that there are Armenian neighborhoods or communities, but that Peggy could have grown up in an environment that is so overwhelmingly Armenian that she could have ended up with her accent and ignorance of Armerican idioms. Today there are about 1.5 million people in the U.S. of Armenian heritage. About 200,000 of them are in the greater Los Angeles area. When Peggy was growing up, there were about 250,000 people in the U.S. of Armenian heritage total. She didn't and couldn't have gone to a majority Armenian school unless it was religious because the population couldn't have supported a public school with an Armenian population significant enough that Peggy ended up with the language skills she has.

Good point! Vey true! Unless they were mostly concentrated in the Glendale area or something. I don't know. It's just so weird to me! b/c think about it, boarder states are FULL of cities and towns that are predominantly Mexican and there's tons of kids who are first-generation Mexican-Americans, like they were born here, but their parents weren't and their parents don't speak much English. But their kids do, b/c even though they live in a very Mexican-American area, they still go to school with other kids, teachers, etc. who speak English and that's how they learn it! 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I've got to figure that the bolded is a bit of youthful hyperbole. No food in the house is a complaint my siblings had about our parents, my nieces and nephews have had about my siblings, and children of my friends have had about my friends. 99.99% of the time, it was a misrepresentation of the situation. And I grew up in a really messed up house where my parents really did leave us on our own for days and weeks. If Tamra was regularly leaving her minor children at home with absolutely no food, there is no way that Tamra would have sole custody of one kid and shared custody of another. Nor can I imagine that Simon would have actually dropped the issue if his kids' physical well-being was in jeopardy. It's much more likely that there was food in the home, but Sydney either disliked it or Sydney didn't want to do what was necessary to make the food. And when my siblings and I made this complaint, it was closer to this explanation than there being zero food in the house because I've been around kids with zero food in the house and they don't really complain about no food in the house. That would be like complaining that the sun rose in the morning or the day of the week ending in a "y".

My little sister insists she never had a birthday party growing up.  Yet I remember being at all of them.  One time she even had a giant pizza party with a magician.  When I brought that  one up she had some reason why it didn't count -- I think maybe because it wasn't the party she wanted and my dad just hired a magician without consulting with her 7 year old self.  

7 hours ago, SheTalksShit said:

Good point! Vey true! Unless they were mostly concentrated in the Glendale area or something. I don't know. It's just so weird to me! b/c think about it, boarder states are FULL of cities and towns that are predominantly Mexican and there's tons of kids who are first-generation Mexican-Americans, like they were born here, but their parents weren't and their parents don't speak much English. But their kids do, b/c even though they live in a very Mexican-American area, they still go to school with other kids, teachers, etc. who speak English and that's how they learn it! 

They are mostly concentrated in Glendale.  Glendale has the most ethnic Armenians outside of Armenia.  If you go to a government building in Glendale the signs are in Armenian as well as English and there are Armenian translators readily available.  The majority of the city council is Armenian and has been for years and years.  There are tons of Armenian stores, markets, restaurants, churches, etc. in Glendale.  Armenians are the ethnic majority in the public schools in Glendale, but the classes are not taught in Armenian.  There are Armenian private schools though, one of my friend's daughters goes to one -- her father is Armenian and they decided it would be nice for her be in touch with her heritage.  The Armenian genocide protest that there were clips of in the "The Season on" preview that was not actually shown this season looked like it was the one in Glendale on Brand Blvd., it's a yearly thing where people hold up signs and stand on the curb lining the street on both sides from just south of the 134 all the way down to the Americana.  I have encountered many older people in Glendale that only speak Armenian, but no one Peggy's age or younger than I can think of unless they just arrived in America.  I assume the older people were already old when they got here and if you stick to Glendale you can get away with only speaking Armenian so they didn't bother to learn English. 

There's a Shahs of Sunset like reality TV show about Armenians called Glendale Life.  I haven't seen it.  It's on USArmenia TV and I never bothered to see if I even get that station.  There were a lot of protests over it perpetuating bad Armenian stereotypes so I assume there were young men wearing track suits with gold chains drag racing on Glenoaks in white Mercedes at the very least.

Another Glendale fact is that it is consistently one of the top 10 worst places in the US to drive based on number of insurance claims for accidents (a fact that doesn't help the stereotype about testosterone fueled young Armenian men drag racing or the even uglier stereotype about Armenians committing insurance fraud).  I've seen drivers do crazy shit in Glendale and have narrowly avoided a few accidents there.  There are a ton of pedestrian vs car accidents in downtown Glendale and instead of cracking down on the drivers there are jaywalking sting operations.  My coworkers from NY would always make fun of us when they came to the Glendale office and we would only cross when the little man showed on the light, but they were not laughing once one of them got a ticket.  But if a driver blows through one of the crosswalks on Brand while it is lighted right in front of a cop they will pull them over (Taraji Henson's son is proof of that).  

• Love 5
15 hours ago, WireWrap said:

IMO, nothing Tamra does/doesn't do will please Sydney outside Tamra quitting the HW show and becoming homeless. 

Not sure from where you're getting the idea that Sydney wants her mother homeless but, hey, maybe the income she and Eddie derive from the gym and supplements-shilling can support them. And if CUT doesn't cut it, T&E could get real-world jobs. Wasn't Eddie an office manager back in the day?

2 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

My little sister insists she never had a birthday party growing up.  Yet I remember being at all of them.  One time she even had a giant pizza party with a magician.  When I brought that  one up she had some reason why it didn't count -- I think maybe because it wasn't the party she wanted and my dad just hired a magician without consulting with her 7 year old self.  

They are mostly concentrated in Glendale.  Glendale has the most ethnic Armenians outside of Armenia.  If you go to a government building in Glendale the signs are in Armenian as well as English and there are Armenian translators readily available.  The majority of the city council is Armenian and has been for years and years.  There are tons of Armenian stores, markets, restaurants, churches, etc. in Glendale.  Armenians are the ethnic majority in the public schools in Glendale, but the classes are not taught in Armenian.  There are Armenian private schools though, one of my friend's daughters goes to one -- her father is Armenian and they decided it would be nice for her be in touch with her heritage.  The Armenian genocide protest that there were clips of in the "The Season on" preview that was not actually shown this season looked like it was the one in Glendale on Brand Blvd., it's a yearly thing where people hold up signs and stand on the curb lining the street on both sides from just south of the 134 all the way down to the Americana.  I have encountered many older people in Glendale that only speak Armenian, but no one Peggy's age or younger than I can think of unless they just arrived in America.  I assume the older people were already old when they got here and if you stick to Glendale you can get away with only speaking Armenian so they didn't bother to learn English. 

There's a Shahs of Sunset like reality TV show about Armenians called Glendale Life.  I haven't seen it.  It's on USArmenia TV and I never bothered to see if I even get that station.  There were a lot of protests over it perpetuating bad Armenian stereotypes so I assume there were young men wearing track suits with gold chains drag racing on Glenoaks in white Mercedes at the very least.

Another Glendale fact is that it is consistently one of the top 10 worst places in the US to drive based on number of insurance claims for accidents (a fact that doesn't help the stereotype about testosterone fueled young Armenian men drag racing or the even uglier stereotype about Armenians committing insurance fraud).  I've seen drivers do crazy shit in Glendale and have narrowly avoided a few accidents there.  There are a ton of pedestrian vs car accidents in downtown Glendale and instead of cracking down on the drivers there are jaywalking sting operations.  My coworkers from NY would always make fun of us when they came to the Glendale office and we would only cross when the little man showed on the light, but they were not laughing once one of them got a ticket.  But if a driver blows through one of the crosswalks on Brand while it is lighted right in front of a cop they will pull them over (Taraji Henson's son is proof of that).  

And even more hit and runs. I speak from unfortunate experience. >:-(

• Love 5
On 11/19/2017 at 1:50 PM, HunterHunted said:

I don't think most people are disputing that there are Armenian neighborhoods or communities, but that Peggy could have grown up in an environment that is so overwhelmingly Armenian that she could have ended up with her accent and ignorance of American idioms. Today there are about 1.5 million people in the U.S. of Armenian heritage. About 200,000 of them are in the greater Los Angeles area. When Peggy was growing up, there were about 250,000 people in the U.S. of Armenian heritage total. She didn't and couldn't have gone to a majority Armenian school unless it was religious because the population couldn't have supported a public school with an Armenian population significant enough that Peggy ended up with the language skills she has.

All I can say is come visit Glendale...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, For Cereals said:

All I can say is come visit Glendale...

I think most would believe this had Peggy's accent been consistent but it wasn't, 1 time it would be strong and then a few minutes later it would be almost nonexistent. She was acting/playing up the immigrant angle and nothing more. LOL

• Love 11
On 11/21/2017 at 2:09 PM, WireWrap said:

, 1 time it would be strong and then a few minutes later it would be almost nonexistent. 

Much like Tamra's piety. Or Heather's career in recent years.

• Love 3

You know something?  Bravo and Andy Cohen can shove this shit show up their asses.

Andy is on social media posting shit about Trump being a harrasser.   we already heard that.  You know what?  That pig Vicki is a fucking racist bigot who spanked her staff and made them get into bed together.  Sure it was for the show.  That’s how this sow treats people.  

Fucking hypocrites.   Clean your own damn house first.  Don’t call out others while protecting and employing people who do the same damn shit.

and yes Vicki, nothing looks good on you.  You are the ugliest sack shit on tv.   You are made of every type of excrement known to man.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, SCS said:

Much like Tamra's piety. Or Heather's career in recent years.

Well, Tamra has never claimed to be pious, she says repeatedly that she is imperfect and a work in progress. As for Heather's acting career, she got more acting gigs after joining the show than she had before, so she is on an upswing in that department and she has never claimed she would become a full time actress after joining the HW show. Peggy on the other hand claims she doesn't understand common sayings/slang despite claiming she went to UCLA as an English major and her ever changing accent is worse then Dorit's (BH). LOL

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

Well, Tamra has never claimed to be pious, she says repeatedly that she is imperfect and a work in progress. 

Tamra claims lots of stuff. Most of it is BS.

As for Heather's acting career, she got more acting gigs after joining the show than she had before, so she is on an upswing in that department and she has never claimed she would become a full time actress after joining the HW show. 

Most of Heather's acting gigs precede 2012, her debut season on HWs.

LOL

LOL

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, SCS said:

Tamra claims lots of stuff. Most of it is BS.

Most of Heather's acting gigs precede 2012, her debut season on HWs.

LOL

Heather quit acting when she had kids and didn't act again until she joined the show, which is why she eventually allowed Terry to talk her into it. So, once again, her acting career was on an upswing after she joined the HW show. 

I see a difference in Tamra, no, it isn't big but it is still there. She has more patience now and is faster to move on or to at least try and avoid prolonged fighting/arguing. I do believe she is trying to be a better person than who/what she was just a few years ago. 

• Love 1

I think the fact that Tamara wore that particular dress to be baptized in a pool so that it would be see through and her husband had to wrap her in a towel as soon as she exited the pool says everything, everything we need to know about this .... person. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WireWrap said:

Heather quit acting when she had kids and didn't act again until she joined the show,

Heather had a several-year drought in jobs before the twins were born. She was not working up til the minute her heels hit the stirrups.

which is why she eventually allowed Terry to talk her into it.

Yes, I know that's the story -- that Heather never ever wanted to do HWs but gave in because...why? Not buying it. Never bought it. Never never never. 

I do believe she is trying to be a better person than who/what she was just a few years ago. 

Sydney agrees.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WireWrap said:

Heather quit acting when she had kids and didn't act again until she joined the show, which is why she eventually allowed Terry to talk her into it. So, once again, her acting career was on an upswing after she joined the HW show. 

I see a difference in Tamra, no, it isn't big but it is still there. She has more patience now and is faster to move on or to at least try and avoid prolonged fighting/arguing. I do believe she is trying to be a better person than who/what she was just a few years ago. 

There is a difference in Tamra, but she’d still rip your heart out if you get between her and something she wants.

Dog will hunt.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Difference is, you can actually tame a feral dog.  :-)

Lol.  Tamra is all about Tamra first and foremost.  Her family comes second , but they have to toe the line for her.   Anyone who doesn’t is eaten alive. 

If Tamra’s daughter wants her to refrain from ever mentioning her in social media or posting/reposting her image, she should shut up and honor that request.  She refuses to do that and plays the injured party.  Again, Tamra first, family second.  

I hope those green backs are making her happy.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Lol.  Tamra is all about Tamra first and foremost.  Her family comes second , but they have to toe the line for her.   Anyone who doesn’t is eaten alive. 

If Tamra’s daughter wants her to refrain from ever mentioning her in social media or posting/reposting her image, she should shut up and honor that request.  She refuses to do that and plays the injured party.  Again, Tamra first, family second.  

I hope those green backs are making her happy.  

Without a doubt, Tamra has handled her issues with Sydney badly but I also think Simon has had a lot to do with Sydney's attitude. In other areas of her life she, Tamra, has made improvements in her behavior. Yes, this job, OCHW, is very important to her but she is the main bread winner in her family, so I understand why she doesn't/can't just walk away from it to please 1 of her kids, and a child that is more than willing to take the money this job made her mother. As Tamra has said time and time again, she is a work in progress, trying to be a better person but it won't happen over night or even in a couple/few years. Baby steps, the woman she was took years to develop and it will take years for any significant change for the better to take place. Lets hope she and Sydney will work through their issues and be in a better relationship sooner than later. 

• Love 1

Wasn’t Tamra making allegations that Simon was sending Sidney back to her all stinking with lice and all that?  That is private , and fucking humiliating for a kid.

as much as I like the thought of Tamra, she’s a very calculating person who plays chess with real people as pawns.  I don’t mind seeing her mess with slugs like Vicki and Kelli, but using your estranged daughter as a storyline, and she has, is rotten.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Wasn’t Tamra making allegations that Simon was sending Sidney back to her all stinking with lice and all that?  That is private , and fucking humiliating for a kid.

as much as I like the thought of Tamra, she’s a very calculating person who plays chess with real people as pawns.  I don’t mind seeing her mess with slugs like Vicki and Kelli, but using your estranged daughter as a storyline, and she has, is rotten.

That was Simon/Sydney making those allegations against Tamra. I agree, she needs to stop talking/posting anything about Sydney outside of her family, that means nothing in interviews, on SM or on the show. That said, if Sydney hates her mother that much, resents that Tamra is on the show (she first demanded that Tamra quit the show completely) or that she has publically voiced her feelings about Sydney like she has, then Sydney needs to give back the money Tamra spent on her college tuition (reports have Tamra paying for it all). So far, it is all Sydney's demands while she holds her hand out for that money at the same time. IMO, she can't/shouldn't have it both ways. Again, Tamra needs to stop mentioning anything about Sydney completely but I honestly don't think it will make a difference to Sydney at all. I really suspect that Sydney is just like she father, her way or the highway with no middle ground to be seen. 

Oh, and had the been any truth to the accusations Simon made against Tamra's parenting, she wouldn't have been given 50% custody of the kids to begin with or after Sydney refused to see her, 50% custody of the other 2 (the son now refuses to see Simon and lives with Tamra full time).

• Love 2

Why would Sidney pay back tuition?  If Tamra offered to pay, she should do so with no strings attached.   Since she used The estrangement storyline, she owes her if you want a quid pro quo.

both she and Simon pitted kids against their parents.  Difference is Tamra gets paid for it.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Why would Sidney pay back tuition?  If Tamra offered to pay, she should do so with no strings attached.   Since she used The estrangement storyline, she owes her if you want a quid pro quo.

both she and Simon pitted kids against their parents.  Difference is Tamra gets paid for it.  

It appears Simon went out of his way to "make" Sidney invite Tamra to the graduation! Her mother blew it again and this was all about "herself" and not her daughter who's begged her to not exploit her on the show or social media! Tamra invokes her name almost every episode! The woman is delusional! I've seen other reality shows where you wouldn't even know these people had kids due to them wanting to keep them out of the limelight! Tamra can't help herself and it's gonna cause an estrangement that might last years, decades, or for life! I had a love/hate relationship with my family due to them smoking around me all the time! Smokers are without a doubt the most inconsiderate a-holes who couldn't care less they are affecting others around them! All Tamra had to do was stop mentioning Sidney online and on the show and she couldn't keep that promise! I'd easily tell her to "GTH!" ;-)

• Love 2
On 11/29/2017 at 10:42 PM, WireWrap said:

That was Simon/Sydney making those allegations against Tamra. I agree, she needs to stop talking/posting anything about Sydney outside of her family, that means nothing in interviews, on SM or on the show. That said, if Sydney hates her mother that much, resents that Tamra is on the show (she first demanded that Tamra quit the show completely) or that she has publically voiced her feelings about Sydney like she has, then Sydney needs to give back the money Tamra spent on her college tuition (reports have Tamra paying for it all). So far, it is all Sydney's demands while she holds her hand out for that money at the same time. IMO, she can't/shouldn't have it both ways. Again, Tamra needs to stop mentioning anything about Sydney completely but I honestly don't think it will make a difference to Sydney at all. I really suspect that Sydney is just like she father, her way or the highway with no middle ground to be seen. 

Oh, and had the been any truth to the accusations Simon made against Tamra's parenting, she wouldn't have been given 50% custody of the kids to begin with or after Sydney refused to see her, 50% custody of the other 2 (the son now refuses to see Simon and lives with Tamra full time).

I agree. I just don't believe that if Tamra was as dangerous and neglectful as Simon or Sydney make Tamra out to be that she would have custody of any of the other kids. Furthermore, says that she's irritated by Tamra putting their business in the public spotlight, but she refuses to do the things that a person who actually has that concern would do, which is limit who can view her social media accounts or just delete them.

My sister in law has a stalker; her Facebook and Instagram are not viewable by the general public. I was having a problem with members of certain groups bombarding my Facebook when I worked in politics; I limited who could see, who could post, and what I added.

I first read about the date of Sydney's graduation from a blogger who was following Simon's and Sydney's social media. The blogger speculated about whether Tamra would be invited. I heard about Tamra being at Sydney's graduation from a blogger who found it by looking at Simon's social media. Tamra broke her promise. She has poor boundaries and limited impulse control, but much of Simon's and Sydney's behavior feels like they are deliberately trying to goad Tamra into messing up. I feel like if it truly bothered Sydney the way she says it does, she would walk the walk along with talking the talk.

In particular, I don't think Sydney and Simon have done a great job explaining that neither have any issue of being in the media when it is of their own choosing, but have a huge problem when it's Tamra's choice. Though I wonder how Tamra might negotiate that very thorny situation if someone had asked her on social media about attending Sydney's graduation. Would a simple yes have sufficed? Would Sydney consider that a violation? Would a link to the picture that Sydney posted be considered a violation? It's open for the public to view. The problem is that folks who don't want to be in the public eye aren't in it. They don't tweet or have Instagram accounts. So it strikes me that Sydney is emphasizing the wrong thing. It's not about having the public know your business. It's about controlling when you share your business and what you share. It's possible Tamra might understand that a little better. Maybe not. I don't know.

• Love 2

Sometimes young people aren’t rational.  Tamra needs to stop talking about her on by and social media. Tamra needs to stop going to abandoned parent groups on tv or whatever the fuck that was for dramatic effect. 

she doesn’t mention her other kids, probably because there is no story/drama there. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Sometimes young people aren’t rational.  Tamra needs to stop talking about her on by and social media. Tamra needs to stop going to abandoned parent groups on tv or whatever the fuck that was for dramatic effect. 

she doesn’t mention her other kids, probably because there is no story/drama there. 

IMO, Tamra doesn't talk about/mention her other 2 children (very often) because no one (production) is asking about them as they are not going on SM to put her on blast like Sydney is. And, even though none of the kids are allowed on film, the younger daughter has been present when Tamra was filming with Heather/daughter last season, production just kept her off camera. Also, Tamra talked about her son when she did the "parental alienation" episode, he refuses to visit Simon and Tamra is unhappy about his decision. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Tamra is a hard hearted bitch.  Don’t get me wrong, I like her and I’m impressed by her hustle.  But she’s made out of titanium.  

I suspect that Tamra isn't as tough as she wants us to believe, especially when it comes to her kids. I think she just doesn't know what to do/how to handle things because of how she was raised/has lived. Which is why her new found Christian beliefs/life is still a work in progress/struggle for her, old habits, old feelings like insecurity, are hard to let go of. Heck, look at Lydia's so called "Christian" behavior this season towards Shannon, we see even she struggles with walking the walk, not just talking the talk and she has lived that life, as a strict Christian that is, much longer than Tamra has. I suspect that only Eddie is ever allowed to fully see the vulnerable side of Tamra and only behind closed doors.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2017 at 5:09 AM, CrinkleCutCat said:

Adding screen shot so I can address original post and reply!

What IS normal? That is such an offensive proposition.... surely we all now appreciate how varied and different we all are? ‘Normal’ precludes anyone with a disability, a mental health issue, a weight difference, a differing opinion.....etc etc etc.  I have no time for the label of NORMAL. 

As for Shannon... it took me a couple of reads to realise what you meant FilmNoir.  Shannon is our mirror.... the mirror for some of us who are a similar age....those of us who have been ‘pretty’ who become invisible when our desirability wanes.... I see her rage and I see myself. I understand what you mean about her being hard to watch, because she reflects ourselves. Shannon is me.... struggling with hormones and weight fluctuations and the way that messes with your whole construct of self...am I really that shallow that my weight defines me? Yes? Am I really defined by the attention of others, especially the male gaze? Yes? Bring on the shame now.....38A2BB36-F5FA-4B04-BDE3-2CEC9CEE9646.thumb.png.efa469761688d0eb239de9d4a0ebd169.png

I think I now understand why Shannon, in some cases, brings out such negativity from us. We don’t like what we see in ourselves. Shannon is a mirror to us.  I, personally, love her for this, and thank her for honestly representing my own struggles re identity and desire, and therefore value.

I also enjoy how she embraces what I now enjoy... the freedom to express yourself with a disregard of judgement.

You could have a point. Maybe the reason I stand puzzled at the “but she has such a good heart” narrative about Shannon (really, I do not see the basically good person so many others do) is that I was never the pretty girl. I’m not that far from her age and I’m certainly close enough to notice the change of time, but I was never that girl. I was never pretty enough for pretty to be my life. So i remain puzzled at this woman who expects the whole world to stop and notice whatever she is feeling at any second she is feeling it. I always had to have ways to navigate the world outside of a smile and a relationship. It was just never going to be possible for me to be pretty and well breed and have the world do what I want. So yeah, Shannon’s constant surprised that others don’t like her, or don’t care about her, or just want a damn night off from talking about her is hard for me to realize as loss.  I don’t know if I can ever really “get” Shannon. To me, she is s spoiled brat raging at not getting her way. I am willing to admit that is probably grossly unfair, but she is so exhausting. It’s hard for me to want to delve deeper. 

• Love 2