Type keyword(s) to search

Runaways - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/12/2017 at 10:15 PM, Cranberry said:

I like how they're handling Karolina's sexuality -- her realization and acceptance have been fairly subtle (I've seen many fans arguing over whether or not the show was going there up until today, so don't feel bad for having to ask, @kdm07), but realistic. I hope she stops stringing Chase along soon and that she and Gert are all right. I liked that bonding moment they had in an earlier episode and I'd rather see that kind of thing than more girls at each other's throats (especially over a guy... and especially when they're not even both interested in said guy).

I'm glad I wasn't too far behind with that :)

I did a re-watch to see if I could figure out Alex a little more and I think Tina didn't know they were in the office then, that's why she cried. Nico's suspicious of Alex but she might get side-tracked now that she's found out about the affair.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:35 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The actress playing Nico is very pretty and I get that she's supposed to be Emo Girl, but putting her under those bright lights at the party made her too pale foundation really stand out. I also hated the pink under her eyes

It's even more glaring on a re-watch especially any time she was in sunlight or at the party. I know makeup tends to be heavy for filming but this was way too much.

Hi Stan Lee! Tell The Watchers we say hello! 

The season is going at a slow pace, and I am ready for the kids to actually,you know, run away, but I am still really enjoying it. I like the slow way things are being introduced, and how the show is fleshing out both the kids and the parents. I am curious about the magic staff. Is it some kind of psydo science thing, or magic? Because it makes WAY more sense for it to be magic, but then they talk about DNA analysis, so what gives? 

Karolinas rainbow form looks really cool. I also enjoyed Gert flirting with the security guy over Kafka, and than the other security guy showing up and getting into the video game. 

I feel bad for Frank. He seems like an ok guy, and his wife is apparently just using him as a means to an end. 

These actors are mostly marginal to terribad. Casting was no bueno. Background watching, and a line reading about the Asian parents going out for sushi was so bad I had to pause and post.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

So I am guessing the actual running away will be in the finale?  I can't even remember.  What is Alex decrypting?  Data from Tina's computer?  There were some serious mood swings going on in this episode.  I'm still not sure how Jonah's serum cured a brain tumor.   Victor is one nasty dude.  So does his using the fistiwhatevers start a chain of events that lead to chaos and destruction.  That was the LA from the future we saw last week.  Does Chase go bad?  That might actually make him interesting.  This show's version of time travel is weird.  Why are all the messages on an old tv?  I know someone mentioned that last week but seriously.  The storyline is already pretty ridiculous.  They don't need to make it even more so.

PRIDE is for human sacrifice, but doesn't believe in divorce?

Tina and Leslie congratulating each other on running PRIDE officially confirms the obvious. 

Molly thought she would live with Dale, Stacey and Gert after they went to prison for murder. Aww, how sweeeet!

Counter-programming against Christmas reruns is a Godsend for this show.

• Love 2

Admittedly, I've never read the Runaways series, but at best this would seem to be loosely based on that series.

And I can't believe we're drawn-out episodes into a series named Runaways and not one person has yet. 

• Love 1

Considering that contemplation of his impending death was the only thing that made Victor stop abusing his wife and son, I'm not going to chalk Victor attempting to murder Chase as Victor coming down from Jonah's serum. Victor is just that awful of a person.

3 hours ago, sjohnson said:

I thought that was hilarious. We need to keep these marriages together for our murder cult. Whut????

3 hours ago, sjohnson said:

Molly thought she would live with Dale, Stacey and Gert after they went to prison for murder. Aww, how sweeeet!

Molly is such a little kid because that's hella dumb. It's sweet, but so dumb.

Davina Clare is such a peaking in high school cow. She is the captain of the high school dance team. Get over yourself. Girls who are actually good dancers who are going somewhere as dancers in high school are already dancing with companies and part of prestigious summer programs. Those dancers tend to stay away from high school dance teams because it's a quick way to injure yourself doing dumb stuff. So Davina Clare needs to get over herself.

• Love 2

James Marsters does a marvelous job of playing such a monstrous character. The tension in some of his scenes was nauseating. That being said, even though Janet finally faced the reality of the family situation and actually shot him, I'm going to go ahead and assume that Victor is still alive. Probably due to the power of Jonah's magic unicorn blood.

I'm glad that the show is not shying away from illustrating the cycle of domestic abuse. So next week's episode is sure to be full of all kinds of fall-out. 

Early on I was wondering how they were going to deal with Dale's memory loss and return him to his original state of evil. And I think the accidental exposure to the unicorn blood is what is going to do it as soon as he gets over the side effects. He looked legitimately scary in that final scene with Molly!

The whole "decrypting Tina's files" storyline with Alex is boring. And the fact that they get interrupted every time that Nico presses him about the password is lazy plotting. It is clearly going nowhere, the parents are eventually going to get their shit together. And I guess that is when the kids will run away. So probably in the finale. Sigh. 

The adult cast was very, very good this episode. Considerably more interesting that the kids. But I can't figure out why on earth Leslie told her husband about her relationship with Jonah. Frank really doesn't seem like a smart guy, I'm sure she could have cobbled something believable together without too much effort. He seems like an enormous liability, I can't imaging why she would give him ammunition. 

1 hour ago, CaptainTightpants said:

TBut I can't figure out why on earth Leslie told her husband about her relationship with Jonah. Frank really doesn't seem like a smart guy, I'm sure she could have cobbled something believable together without too much effort. He seems like an enormous liability, I can't imaging why she would give him ammunition. 

I wondered about this too.

Anyone else get an ick feeling seeing Jonah and young Leslie considering their relationship now? Also, could the being Leslie's dad saw be a vision of Karolina and not Jonah like Frank thinks? Not sure how that would be possible but considering the drawing was of Karolina and not of Jonah, I'm leaning towards Leslie covering up the fact that Karolina isn't Frank's daughter when she told Frank that her father saw Jonah as the being.

I know the comic books fans are up in arms about the show delving into the parents so deeply but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The kids are still...kids and there's only so much entertainment I can get from watching them bumble around being teenagers. The parents are really shining in this show.

Molly is supposed to be what? 13? 14? Are early teens usually that much of an open book or is it just Molly?

So Jonah's blood is like a drug that once you come down from, you return to your original state which in the case of Victor and Dale, is evil?

Alex needs to be put into an interesting storyline. Even when he was kidnapped by his dad's former friends, I was more interested in how his dad would act/react than what Alex was up to. I too would like to know how he figured out the password so quickly Nico. Now if only the show would let us know instead of dragging it out.

Victor is (was?) a horrible guy. I don't blame Janet for taking that final measure to protect herself and her son.

Tina doesn't seem like the type to forgive and forget so I wonder how she'll dole out punishment for Robert's indiscretions.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

But I can't figure out why on earth Leslie told her husband about her relationship with Jonah. Frank really doesn't seem like a smart guy, I'm sure she could have cobbled something believable together without too much effort. He seems like an enormous liability, I can't imaging why she would give him ammunition. 

Pre-emptive strike. Leslie knows that Jonah has a plan for Frank and that they have had discussions that didn't include her. If she lies, then there is a chance Frank relays that lie to Jonah. So she decided (correctly I think) that the truth was her best defense.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kdm07 said:

I know the comic books fans are up in arms about the show delving into the parents so deeply but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The kids are still...kids and there's only so much entertainment I can get from watching them bumble around being teenagers. The parents are really shining in this show.

The characterization of the parents is pretty good. I would like this show a lot more if it was based around the Yorkes, cheese, and lying/avoiding the Wilders. This might be because I think they've done a poor job in representing the kids.

On 12/19/2017 at 3:23 AM, Shaynaa said:

So I am guessing the actual running away will be in the finale?

I went ahead and read the episode synopsis for upcoming episodes after getting frustrated with the pacing

Spoiler

and I think you're correct.

7 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

The whole "decrypting Tina's files" storyline with Alex is boring. And the fact that they get interrupted every time that Nico presses him about the password is lazy plotting. It is clearly going nowhere, the parents are eventually going to get their shit together.

The only thing I can think about this is that Alex hacked Tina ahead of time. Wizard seems pretty high-tech and should be security savvy so I think this might be an asspull along the lines of Alex, grieving Amy's suicide, hacks Wizard for some reason.

• Love 1

Damn, Jonah has known Leslie since she was in eighth grade? That makes their creepy relationship even creepier.

Dale tripping on Jonah's unicorn blood was hilarious. Loved when he was waxing poetic about her Crocs. I was surprised that Geoffrey and Catherine just left when Stacey told them they couldn't come inside the house. Usually they are much more persistent than that.

20 hours ago, sjohnson said:

17 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I thought that was hilarious. We need to keep these marriages together for our murder cult. Whut????

Yes, I was shaking my head over the good old family values of "murder good, divorce bad."

• Love 2
On 12/12/2017 at 11:11 PM, pumpkin said:

Idk, at first i was really into the mystery of wtf pride is up to but now i feel like its gotten overly complicated. i think they might have bit off more then they can chew what with making the big bads more sympathetic. I also feel like theyre trying tone down some of the most comicbooky stuff and make things more believable but i think just being like whatevs guys its magic actually lets me suspend my disbelief more then when they try and explain me science magic... is that just me?  

It's not just you.  I was bothered by Tina's science-y explanation of how the staff works.  If it can create snow, deflect bullets and track people then I say it's a magical item.  Besides, I prefer that each of the couples brings something different to the Pride.    The Minorus being sorcerers would've made them stand out from the other couples that already bring science, tech and/or money to the table.

I’m sure you’ve all read our rules regarding spoiling things from the comic books that have NOT happened on the series: ie: don’t. We have a full thread for talking about differences in the plot points and characters from the comic and you should use it. Do not post things in the episode threads that didn’t actually happen on the show. 

Questions? PM me! 

• Love 1
On 12/19/2017 at 8:03 AM, jmonique said:

And I can't believe we're drawn-out episodes into a series named Runaways and not one person has yet. 

To be fair, though, there have been runaways in this series- all the runaways that the Pride has sacrificed to Jonah.

• Love 2

So my suspicions about Amy's death were confirmed. Amy didn't kill herself. She was killed because of what she found out. Now the only questions are who killed her and what exactly did she find out? Was it about the sacrifices or something else?

And Molly's parents left here a VHS tape. But Molly is too young to have ever seen one of those so she doesn't know what it is. Once she figures it out she'll have to go looking for a player.

Meanwhile the other kids disagree about what to do next. And Chase destroys the evidence.

And in love pentagon news, Gert is happy that Chase called her before he called Karolina.

2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

So my suspicions about Amy's death were confirmed. Amy didn't kill herself. She was killed because of what she found out. Now the only questions are who killed her and what exactly did she find out? Was it about the sacrifices or something else?

And Molly's parents left here a VHS tape. But Molly is too young to have ever seen one of those so she doesn't know what it is. Once she figures it out she'll have to go looking for a player.

Meanwhile the other kids disagree about what to do next. And Chase destroys the evidence.

And in love pentagon news, Gert is happy that Chase called her before he called Karolina.

I get that Chase is drunk and worried about his father, but Chase doesn't know about Amy and the Hernandezs. From the kids perspective, Pride has demonstrated a complete unwillingness to hurt their members. Pride knows that Molly knows about the sacrifices and the worst that they do is send her away.

Alex's parents have the police on their payroll, but it's not that easy to cover up Victor's gunshot for some of the reasons Tina articulated and that's reason enough to not take Victor to a hospital. Victor is a prominent citizen who just publicly announced that his wife is cheating on him with Robert. Victor is then shot by his wife with Robert's gun. There is no way those details wouldn't have leaked. Just wanting to save your dad isn't reason enough to destroy the evidence. Furthermore, the kids still needed a plan for how to take their parents down. Chase could have waited while they formulated a plan instead of destroying any leverage they kids had by destroying the evidence.

I get that Nico has been obsessed with Amy's death and that information might have helped her deal with it, but Alex functionally knew very little useful information absent the knowledge that their parents were murdering people. All he knew was that Tina, a type A cold withholding CEO of a tech company, hacked her teenage daughter's laptop after Amy hacked Tina's system. It's not that unheard of for a parent to surreptitiously monitor their teenager's computer use and habits. Nico kind of already blamed Tina for Amy's death anyway.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, doram said:

Am I the only one who is low-key irritated with Gert's intrusive investment in Karolina's sexuality? She's trying to shame Karolina into coming out just to further her own romantic pursuit of Chase. 

Nope. It's nasty, self-interested, and hilariously hypocritical considering she's Miss Progressive Causes. However, I have to remember that Gert is a teenager and prone to making terrible decisions.

Though one of her better decisions is going places with her telepathically controlled velociraptor when investigating their parents' murder club.

• Love 10

Gert annoys me, too, and I don't like that because I really want to like Gert. I don't think she's homophobic at all; I believe she truly would support Karolina dating a girl regardless of the Chase angle. However, she doesn't seem to understand that trying to force someone out of the closet when they're clearly not ready is cruel, not supportive. This pushing is certainly motivated by her wanting Chase to stop viewing Karolina as a viable option, too, so it makes her look even worse.

In general, the show goes a little too heavy on the parents for my liking -- I'd prefer a 70/30 split in favor of the kids, I think -- but it is important for the audience to get to know the parents so it makes sense to us when the kids run away. I didn't mind the heavier focus on the parents in this particular episode, though.  It kept me in suspense because I truly didn't know which parent was going to end up dead; I assume that Tina and Leslie are pretty safe in general, and Geoffrey too because of the connected plot involving his former gang, but anyone else seems like fair game. I liked that they all turned on each other with the whole "this isn't Survivor" thing and then everyone voting someone else off the island anyway. Those votes are certainly going to have repercussions in the future.

I'm disappointed that there are only a couple of episodes left. I hope this gets a second season.

• Love 1

That certainly ramped up the drama of this season and left so many little plot points for the next 2-3 episodes to tie up. I'm completely invested in this show now and what exactly will be the tipping point for the Runaways to...run away with everything going on right now.

Isn't Janet super smart? Could she not look at Victor's schematics or something and make a new light box thingy?

Chase using his 1-2 days of bliss with his dad to make it seem like he should give a chance is weird but not unexpected from a kid. I'd like to know how he feels about his mother in all of this because at every point of this show, he always focused on his dad and not his mother.

Robert is useless. His only saving grace is how kind he was to Nico at a time when her mother became cold to deal with the grief of losing her eldest (speaking of Amy, I'm guessing Jonah was the one in her house at the end of the episode). Tina pretty much controls everything else and he should be very thankful that she seems to genuinely love him because she's not someone I'd ever want to humiliate/cross publicly.

Gert knows about Karolina now but I wouldn't be surprised to see her use this to further her "cause" with Chase. The question is, will Karolina be okay with that? Also: anyone else notice that Old Lace was fine with Karolina walking right by it but didn't appreciate Chase approaching it?

Apart from Tina, I'd say Leslie is the most ruthless of the Pride members. She has affection for Frank but was more than ready to let him die if it meant furthering their plans. Frank is on borrowed time.

Alex didn't tell Nico everything did he? I think he's still hiding something.

I guess Molly's parents died too soon for them to realise that VHS tapes would basically be foreign objects to Molly by the time she got it lol. I did chuckle at her wtf face when she pulled out the tape.

Edited by kdm07

The only characters in the young cast left who I sympathize with are Nico and Molly. Everybody else seems both short-sighted and stupid. Even Karolina, spilling the beans to her dad, while in a house where all the other pride members were? Completely stupid, I had to sigh. I think I would be able to believe this was the foolishness of youth if they had used younger actors honestly. The only one who really looks like a kid is Molly so I can see her doing naive and short sighted things. Alex could probably pass for his TV age, but everybody else looks like college graduates. So I am having a disconnect with all their childish flip flopping around. 

I am much more interested with the parents dynamic. The moment when Leslie and Tina are arguing and Leslie pulls off her earring is legit the best scene in the whole episode! That being said I thought this one dragged quite a bit. And did they all just forget that Jonah said that if Victor wasn't healed they and all their kids would be killed? Because it seemed to slip everybody's mind. 

Alex comes across as very emotionally immature in this one. He seems put upon that Nico is still pissed at him at the end of the episode, despite it being the SAME DAY. Any reasonable person would expect some emotional blow back from her for days or weeks. 

26 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

Alex didn't tell Nico everything did he? I think he's still hiding something.

I agree. I think he is so emotionally immature that he thinks he can handle whatever the situation is better than anyone else can. So he is probably still keeping important information to himself. 

I wish they had done better with Gert. Because she is just coming across as some girl who has a cause until a pretty boy comes along to give her life purpose. Her mooning after Chase the same day that she has lost her sister made me think less of the character. I mean she is not even 100% sure that Molly is alright at this point. 

• Love 3

I thought this was the weakest episode so far. The parents' struggles over how to save Victor fell flat to me once Jonah showed up with his ultimatum. The laptop, the Macguffin of the last several episodes, finally gets deciphered, only to be destroyed almost immediately. Nico leaves her sister's phone (one of two new Macguffins introduced this episode) to charge in Amy's room for some reason (rather than move it to her own room or something logical- why do I suspect that Tina is going to magically seal the room again with phone inside?). Molly inexplicably doesn't recognize what a VHS tape is? Even if she's never watched one, surely there aren't kids her age out there that don't at least recognize the format?

Anyone else think that the mystery man at the end that confronts Amy will turn out to be Frank? And the reason he was kicked out of Pride and hit with the memory loss juice was as punishment for him having been the most evil of them all and unilaterally deciding Amy had to be silenced?

• Love 1

Is Gert being a hypocrite, yes but she’s also being a teenager. (The actress is 19 so she’s not too far off the age.) I think it’s perfectly believable for her  not to be her best self about the situation. She’s had a crush on him for years. The situation with their family has left Karolina as her only real obstacle. 

Btw does anyone know what the minoru’s were saying?

For an episode that was centered around saving Victor, a loathsome character, this was actually a pretty funny hour. The parents bickering and fighting for most of it was amusing to me. My two favorite moments were when Robert suggested putting Frank in the box and Leslie said it wasn't the worst idea and then later when Leslie pulled off her earrings and Jonah said as much as he enjoys catfights, they should just calm down.

I don't understand what is happening with the box. Jonah said the last sacrifice they did for him (the kid who Alex shot) was the final one. Does that mean he needed 16 total to stay youthful forever? And if that was the final sacrifice, then why do they need Victor alive to build more boxes?

The absolute dumbest thing that happened in this episode was Nico plugging Tina's phone into the wall IN TINA'S ROOM. Fool, take that with you! Everyone has portable chargers these days! Or charge it in the car on the way to the coffee shop! Or plug it in while you're at the coffee shop! SO MANY OPTIONS. I'm more interested in who sent that final text to Tina than in who the mysterious "he" who knew was because that means TIna knew and someone else knew that Tina knew (I feel like I'm a hair away from the Friends "But they don't know that we know that they know!").

6 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Anyone else think that the mystery man at the end that confronts Amy will turn out to be Frank? And the reason he was kicked out of Pride and hit with the memory loss juice was as punishment for him having been the most evil of them all and unilaterally deciding Amy had to be silenced?

That would make Frank about a million times more interesting than he currently is, but I think they gave him the memory loss serum because he saw Leslie having sex with Jonah (which we saw in flashback in a previous episode). I do wonder why he was able to make the magic mittens work last week for the person who was dying but this week he wasn't able to heal Victor. Maybe Jonah gave him this power but he only gave him so much juice and he's out?

Although Chase and Karolina changing their minds annoyed me, I understand it in theory. Chase is an abused kid, both physically and emotionally. People in that kind of situation often hold out hope that the abuser will change and love them. Chase finally got that and now he's convinced that it can happen again. Karolina loves and trusts Frank so she believed him when he said that he could help. I wonder exactly how much she told him though. But what Chase and Karolina have in common is that they both want to believe in their daddies. I'm not saying it's right. It was really fucking selfish of Chase fo smash that laptop.

• Love 1

I hate to say it but Nico doesn't read to me as a believable teenager. The actress seems a lot older than the other "kids" IMO. The harsh, plastered on goth makeup doesn't help if that's how they're trying to make her look younger.

I'd love to have a velociraptor as a pet. Ever since Jurassic Park they've seemed to me like really big housecats except without the fur or the yowling at o-dark-thirty when they want you to know they're starving to death. (And yes, I know that velociraptors actually are presumed to have been the predecessors of what we now call birds.)

The moment when Leslie and Tina are arguing and Leslie pulls off her earring is legit the best scene in the whole episode!

Right? I thought, dang, Leslie's got some street in her. Who knew?

It was really fucking selfish of Chase fo smash that laptop.

Sure was but Alex probably has it backed it up to the cloud or a USB drive.

7 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Sure was but Alex probably has it backed it up to the cloud or a USB drive.

You'd think so, but these are tv characters. So I wouldn't be surprised if there is no backup because tv teens are often stupid like that. One of the worst examples of that is Pretty Little Liars where digital evidence was destroyed or stolen all the time, but none of the characters ever learned from that and made backups.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, paulvdb said:

You'd think so, but these are tv characters. So I wouldn't be surprised if there is no backup because tv teens are often stupid like that.

But Alex isn't, not when it comes to computers. That's apparently his "super power". The party "heist" was to enable him to physically access Wizard's cloud storage to get the uploaded footage of the Pride sacrifices.

It's already a big cast, but I hope we get to know more about the bearded guy who is Tina's muscle. While it looks like he can handle any situation with extreme prejudice, he also appears to be a moderating influence behind the scenes. 

• Love 1

Weirdly, it seems like Chase and Karolina are acting like they are plotting against the parents because they are mildly pissed off at them for regular teenage stuff. Like maybe they didn't get a car for their birthday ect. 

But where is all the horror they felt initally when they realised that their parents had murdered Destiny? And then the follow up discovery that the parents had murdered more than a dozen kids over the years. I think the body count is up to 16 sacrifices and maybe Amy. What happened to "let's put all these serial killers in prison!" 

I think the actor playing Chase is doing a decent job of portraying the mentality of an abused child. But we are looking at far graver crimes here and half the kids seem to have conveniently forgotten that, until the finale presumably. 

I usually enjoy slower more character driven arcs but the show is dragging a bit. (That being said I still think they did a much better job with Runaways than they did with either Gifted or In humans.)

Also, there is no guarantee that jumping on the laptop will destroy the hard drive. It drives me crazy when I see this on tv. Massive damage to the screen sure, but the hard drive is probably recoverable even if Alex didn't have it backed up ( which is wildly improbable for a code monkey). 

• Love 1

I have yet to watch this episode, but I am very curious about the two men in the first episode who tried to help Destiny. From what they said, we know they knew that Destiny would not be safe going with the church people. Was it merely them noticing street kids being picked up by these people to never be seen from again?  Are we the viewers just supposed to forget about them?

• Love 1
23 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

Weirdly, it seems like Chase and Karolina are acting like they are plotting against the parents because they are mildly pissed off at them for regular teenage stuff. Like maybe they didn't get a car for their birthday ect. 

But where is all the horror they felt initally when they realised that their parents had murdered Destiny? And then the follow up discovery that the parents had murdered more than a dozen kids over the years. I think the body count is up to 16 sacrifices and maybe Amy. What happened to "let's put all these serial killers in prison!" 

I think the actor playing Chase is doing a decent job of portraying the mentality of an abused child. But we are looking at far graver crimes here and half the kids seem to have conveniently forgotten that, until the finale presumably. 

I think Chase makes perfect sense because he's been living with this volatile emotionally and physically abusive monster for his entire life. At a moment's notice, Victor could change from decent to rage filled monster. People who live in an environment like that often crave their abusers affections and are protective of the person who victimize them. I can see Chase making insane excuses for all of Victor's murdery actions.

Karolina, on the other hand, makes no damn sense. Her one parent good parent seems to be oblivious of the murdering. She seems to be fairly close to Frank. I don't know why she wouldn't burn the PRIDE house of murdering down. 

• Love 2

The kids take all of these precautions in case they run into trouble, but they leave the velociraptor in the trunk of the car? And then they specifically ran into trouble. I would have much rather they gave the excuse that they wanted to make sure the coast was clear before they let the velociraptor loose.

Frank Dean is cold. We thought Tina and Leslie were ruthless. Frank is terrible. He sold those kids straight out to Jonah. I'm starting to think that Frank killed Amy.

It occurred to me that if the parents trusted each other, they might have gotten themselves out of the deal with Jonah. The only real holdouts would be Tina and Leslie, but I think the rest could probably trust each other.

Karolina made her move on Nico. Nico seemed to be ok with it. Maybe Nico is bi. Meanwhile, Gert and Chase have sex and Gert reminds everyone she's kind of an insecure asshole. They had to join the group to break into the construction site. When exactly did Chase have an opportunity to have a conversation about what the sex meant? They know their parents are serial murderers who are planning on destroying California and maybe the world and she's fixated on whether the sex meant anything. And because she decides on her own that Chase is giving her the cold shoulder, she has snit. She is the worst.

Davina Clare is still terrible. 

Edited by HunterHunted
Because Leslie and Tina killed Molly's parents
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Meanwhile, Gert and Chase have sex and Gert reminds everyone she's kind of an insecure asshole.

Really though. She really is kind of the worst. That being said though, I thought her and Chase were pretty hot.

I wanna like Karolina/Nico, but I find Nico dreadfully boring. Honestly I find most of the characters boring, but for some reason I binged all the eps in a few days anyway lol.

Damn at Frank. I'm actually interested in him now.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Really though. She really is kind of the worst. That being said though, I thought her and Chase were pretty hot.

I wanna like Karolina/Nico, but I find Nico dreadfully boring. Honestly I find most of the characters boring, but for some reason I binged all the eps in a few days anyway lol.

Damn at Frank. I'm actually interested in him now.

When a teen boy has to remind you that sex is not a priority at that moment, you know that you're being really immature and self-absorbed. WTF Gert?!?!?!

Their sex scene was pretty good.

I only like Nico in scenes with Alex so I want her to get around to forgiving him.

I loved the parents little step backwards when Molly's eyes lit up and then their big freaked out faces when Karolina started glowing. If only Old Lace had been there to completely blow their minds. You could tell the parents went to the construction site thinking they could scold their kids into dropping their investigation and their efforts to destroy PRIDE, but were reevaluating their kids like an actual threat.

• Love 2

Frank is either incredibly gullible (plausible) or Jonah gave him a personality transplant (equally plausible).

The teenagers did the teenager stuff at a school dance. Not entirely surprising but Gert's little meltdown at the construction site was side-eye worthy. Of all the times to decide to pick a fight over sex...

I like how at the end all the parents were taken aback by seeing how much their kids know. Leslie's last statement has me worried about how Jonah will react to Karolina's powers? DNA? She seemed more worried for Karolina than angry at her.

Tina may not know how to show her emotions clearly but she truly does love her daughter(s).

Interesting little note, Jonah seemed to appreciate Stacey fighting back but had pure disdain for Dale's cowardice.

I liked this one, but I have to agree with AV Club reviewer Vinnie Mancuso that most of the big moments were unearned. Chase's "I always saw you" to Gert came out of nowhere -- no he hasn't! She was clearly into him, but he was all about Karolina two episodes ago. Ditto with the "we're a family" line from the kids, which should have been a big deal -- I'm a sucker for "found family" stories, as I know many people are, and we know Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage can write the hell out of that shit; the first season of The O.C. was wonderful. These kids are getting there, but they aren't really there yet. 

I did like the Karolina/Nico kiss, which at least has been set up since the first episode. It was also a fun mirror image of sorts to the Chase/Karolina kiss. The dialogue alone:

Chase to Karolina: "Considering you almost died without me ever doing that, I thought this would be a good time to go for it."

Karolina to Nico: "Sorry. I've just wanted to do that for a really long time. And after tonight I didn't know if I'd get the chance."

But with the former, we saw Karolina, eyes open, clearly uncomfortable, while Nico closed her eyes and kissed back. I'm still not sure where they're going with this storyline (it's hard to get a read on Nico and this damn show loves interrupting people in important moments to draw out the drama), but I like it so far.

Gert, Gert, Gert. Sometimes I love her -- like when that horrible girl made that crack about Karolina and the water polo team and Gert snapped, "We'll take five tickets, you hateful bitch" (and then later: "Guess that means we're not going to the dance. Probably woulda had a better chance at a refund if I hadn't called Eiffel a hateful bitch." "No, the dance is still on. It's the perfect cover." "Then I regret nothing.") -- and sometimes I just want to shake her. I know she's a teenage girl and all, but she needs to just chill a bit and stop sabotaging things before they even get a chance to start!

Molly kissing the dino on the snout was adorable. I liked Molly a lot more this episode -- she seemed more capable than usual.

Alex was fine. He's the least interesting of the kids to me, but I don't dislike him, and I think Nico's being a little hard on him. Like the AV Club reviewer said, Chase smashing that laptop was more of a betrayal than anything Alex did, and they've all pretty much forgiven him already.

• Love 3

I think it would have been more plausible for Gert to have been mad at Chase for the sex having been so quick. What did that take, a minute or two?. "Can't manage an on/off switch" indeed. :D

The kids' storyline is too uneven; one second they're all at each others' throats- the next they've all got the feels and talk like they're one happy family. They started out at a much more gradual pace than their relationships are ending up. It feels rushed.

Likewise, as much as I have enjoyed the parents' storylines and feel they have been much better handled than in the books, I wouldn't have minded at all if they'd been made a little darker, more criminal. Yes, they've apparently assisted in the murders of 15 kids (at least), but other than that, they don't seem to have been terribly nefarious. The Wilders seem to have possibly been involved in some shady real estate schemes, but everyone else is pretty benign. I think it would be easier to buy the kids' utter disdain if they'd been up to some additional shenanigans. (And Chase needs to figure out who's team he's playing on instead of flipflopping every week.)

• Love 2

TV!Gert is the worse. Comic!Gert would hate TV!Gert too. 

I was irritated at the whole Molly truck thing. I kept wondering why they didn't put the truck in neutral and all push it. Now she's going to fall asleep during the fight with the parents.

• Love 2

I get that teenagers are, well, teenagers. I know I could be a cranky irrational mess at that age so I try to cut high school characters some slack. But DAMN, Gert. It's not like you had sex with Chase and then he didn't call you for two weeks. It just happened, like, twenty minutes ago and you are all currently trying to save the world. Did you expect him to stop at the mall on the way to the construction site so he could buy you a diamond ring? Get a grip, girl.

I had to laugh when Alex seriously tried to tell everyone that AV club used to be cool. No, Alex, it was never cool. It's okay if you enjoyed being in AV club but never try to convince other people that it was ever cool. As Gert pointed out, AV club is teen movie shorthand for geek.

I know Robert is in the dog house with just about everyone, but I totally cracked up when Jonah said that he had replaced Geoffrey's men and Robert was like, "Uh, the church has better security?" Say what you will about Robert and Tina (and there's a lot), but Robert was telling the truth when he told Geoffrey (1) Tina didn't kill Molly's parents and (2) the incriminating burn that Geoffrey pointed out at the funeral really was from Tina burning herself on a frying pan!

I'm not surprised that Leslie was the one who killed Molly's parents. She would do anything for Jonah. What was more surprising was that Daddy Frank has been playing Karolina because he wants to run the church. I get that he's been portrayed as power hungry and feeling inferior to Leslie since the first episode, so it make sense that he is doing whatever he can to claw his way up. I really thought the one thing that would be off limits was Karolina but I guess he's fine with Jonah's wrath hitting his daughter. Or maybe Jonah already told him that Karolina is really his (Jonah's) daughter and that's why he doesn't care what happens to her as a result of being Jonah's little spy. I guess the one good thing to come out of this is that Karolina will finally realize not to trust Frank.

I have to be honest - when the adults were talking about how they'd been waiting almost twenty years to dig this hole, I was thinking uh, what's been stopping you from digging a big ass hole for two decades? But later when the kids were talking about how all of this was a cover up, it made sense that they needed a way to be a little bit inconspicuous and less obvious about what they were doing. I don't know why it took almost twenty years for that to happen, but still.

When Brandon's bro friends from lacrosse hugged him, I thought they were just lulling him into a false sense of security so they could do something to him, but I guess they were really being sincere because Victor is in such bad shape. I guess yay for not being complete assholes? They're still gross rapey assholes, but they are capable of showing some sympathy for other non-rapey situations.

• Love 1

Were they trying to suggest that Jonah is also Nico's father?

"And what are you bringing to the party, Alex?" Some of us have been asking this since the first episode.

Yes, they've apparently assisted in the murders of 15 kids (at least), but other than that, they don't seem to have been terribly nefarious.

Not! Evil! Enough!

• Love 2

I get that this is its own thing, and should be judged separately from the comics, but you know what the comics did pretty quickly? GOT ON WITH THE STORY! I get them wanting to build more character stuff, but this is ridiculous! 

Slow your rolls, Gert. I know she`s a teen, and teen love is tough, but she is just being ridiculous. There is shit going down, now is not the time for this!

The parent vs kid show down was cool, but I wish Old Lace had shown up. Now THAT would have freaked them out. 

• Love 2

I can never decide how I feel about this show.  I have to agree with the AV review and say that many of the emotional beats are correct in terms of plot, but unearned in terms of actual story development. 

Like, I get that Gert and Chase have legitimately spent a good deal of time together during the show and he did call her first last week.... but its only been like two weeks within the show's timeline and the transition to trailing after Karolina with zero awareness of Gert as a female to "I noticed you".... The fuck?  It would have made more sense to at least have him say "I should have noticed you" or "I noticed you.  But I should have seen you."  - though that distinction might be a bit much for a 16 year old.   

All that said, Gert and Chase are kind of my favorite characters...Which is odd because they have each pissed me off the most of the group in their respective ways., Gert by being an asshole about Chase to Karolina and to Chase himself in the middle of an actual life and death situation and Chase by destroying the laptop and being an obtuse dipshit about 70% of the time.  The thing is, both Chase and Gert's flaws (self-absorption and obtuseness) are consistent with their ages and they are both also very nice people who are played by charming actors. 

I also like Molly and Karolina, but that is more just because they are nice people.  I find Nico and Alex more challenging. I want to like them... and I don't dislike them.  I just don't find them interesting. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 4