Type keyword(s) to search

Runaways - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Besides, if the box works then don't the sacrifice victims get sent to the future? That means there would be no body left for anyone to find and obviously Amy's cold dead blue body was there.

When working properly, the body in the box will disappear. Mr. Crusty was in a similar box at the Church of Gibborim.

3 hours ago, sjohnson said:

Alex was almost certainly kidnapped by the gang rival trying to move in on the Pride's key building project I think. 

That is the same impression I got watching the episode 5 trailer, Alex's father did threaten the gang leader's family, two can play that game.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Stacey and Dale are terrible people. They are okay with knowing that a velociraptor is on the loose in Los Angeles? That thing could kill innocent people and Dale's only concern is that they might not get credit for it? Meanwhile Stacey's solution is to disappear?

I don't understand why they had so much trouble finding the dino, since it had a tracker. Were they not able to turn it on?

Poor Nico, no wonder she`s so bitter now. I assume that she was killed accidentally be some magic shit that Tina was getting up to, and thats why her parents covered it up and knocked Nico out. Also, I`m now pretty sure that Tina (and maybe some of the rest of PRIDE) killed Molly's parents, possibly because they tried to leave PRIDE. If the Yorkes knew or suspected that, it would explain why they were so terrified when Tina droped by. 

Speaking of, while the Yorkes arent exactly good people (being involved in this murder cult, being willing to let an angry dinosaur run around) I do feel bad for them. They really seem to want to get away from all this evil stuff, and do seem to really love each other and their kids. I can understand why Gert didn't want to accept that her parents are evil, they really are likable and they seemed to be a pretty happy family. 

Victor is having a total breakdown, including seeing things and random acts of violence. His scene with Chase was actually pretty interesting. Chase was clearly terrified of Victor when he came into the lab, but when Victor actually gave him a brief pep talk about his engineering, Chase immediately lit up with pride. It makes me want to know more about their home life and their dynamics. 

Poor Karolina. She has a lot on her plate lately. Near sexual assault, being made fun of at school, finds out her body is a rainbow, and now she has proof that her mom is probably a serial killer. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't understand why they had so much trouble finding the dino, since it had a tracker. Were they not able to turn it on?

They got a tracker for it, but Dale never turned it on. His reasoning was that he didn't need to turn it on since they knew she was downstairs in her cage. I guess it needs to be turned on manually/can't be turned on remotely so it's totally useless now that she's escaped.

3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Speaking of, while the Yorkes arent exactly good people (being involved in this murder cult, being willing to let an angry dinosaur run around) I do feel bad for them. They really seem to want to get away from all this evil stuff, and do seem to really love each other and their kids. I can understand why Gert didn't want to accept that her parents are evil, they really are likable and they seemed to be a pretty happy family. 

I agree that they clearly love each other and their kids, and I am glad that someone in Pride is uncomfortable enough with murdering someone each year that they had clearly been setting things up so they could leave. I just can't get over how cavalier they were about knowing that dinosaur was out and they basically just shoulder shrugged and decided that it wasn't their problem, despite the fact that it was totally THEIR responsibility since they created it and it got out.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I just can't get over how cavalier they were about knowing that dinosaur was out and they basically just shoulder shrugged and decided that it wasn't their problem, despite the fact that it was totally THEIR responsibility since they created it and it got out.

As the adults, they do indeed bear the ultimate responsibility. It hasn't escaped my notice that Gert and Chase don't feel any proximate responsibility at all for actually letting the animal out, and ignoring the need to warn people. The fact the thing came back and Gert is animal dominatrix is pure luck. 

Nico and Alex giving up on their civic responsibility to bear witness because there are no other police agencies in the world, nor public media to bring pressure to bear, is also notable. 

The question is whether the show knows our teens are not just brave survivors but also screwing some things up, because, despite the superpowers that are conveniently emerging, they are still people, and too young to be very responsible, much less wise. Shouldn't they trust the audience to know people aren't perfect, but still deserving of life and audience interest too maybe?

7 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

The question is whether the show knows our teens are not just brave survivors but also screwing some things up, because, despite the superpowers that are conveniently emerging, they are still people, and too young to be very responsible, much less wise. Shouldn't they trust the audience to know people aren't perfect, but still deserving of life and audience interest too maybe?

I think this show is losing me because this week there were some strange reactions. First, Karolina. It is suggested that she was gang raped by two boys unknowingly... and she has very little reaction. Normally I could write it off but she did wake to a panic stricken Chase who now gets in a fight with his BFFs every time he sees them - that is a red flag. She should have been focus on that.  Then I agree I was stupefied by Chase and Gert not seeming to care there could be a dinosaur running around town.  That should have been their main obsession.  Even if the parents were out looking. Finally Nico confuses me. She is by far the most negative and it never occurred to her that running to the police could be an issue?  I mean, her sister died,  and no one from the authorities seems to show up ever... that is a big red flag there. She seems too smart for that and I agree -- there is more than one police agency.  Try the FBI. The feds probably have a file on ALL the kids parents.  

Is the boner of glow somehow related to Karolina's glowing abilities... like Krusty is her real father ?

• Love 1

4 episodes in and we still have no freaking idea what the hell is going on. That was 4 weeks of waiting. They are going about this way too slow. It's only after ep 4 did we get some clues of what was going on. Still nothing about the box or the mutants or a reference to xmen so we can know the timeline. If it's inhumans then perhaps a reference to the avengers. 

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Still nothing about the box or the mutants or a reference to xmen so we can know the timeline.

Well, they're not really able to reference mutants or the X-Men.  Not unless there was some give and take for Fox getting permission to make Legion and Gifted.

Given that this is on a different platform, I think it's highly unlikely that we'd see an overt reference to the MCU.

On 29/11/2017 at 10:34 PM, tennisgurl said:

Poor Karolina. She has a lot on her plate lately. Near sexual assault, being made fun of at school, finds out her body is a rainbow, and now she has proof that her mom is probably a serial killer. 

I just wanted point this out because I chuckled for a solid 5 minutes over it.

• Love 3

I laughed when I saw the dinosaur pool floatie in the opening credits. Rawr! When are Gert and Molly going to give their dinosaur a name? I'm glad they're spending time with the dinosaur and that it is now comfortable with them aka voluntarily not eating them (as opposed to refraining from attacking them only because of Gert's commands).

Darius waited until they got to his nana's house to take Alex's phone? That seems like a pretty dumb move on his part but I'm chalking it up to Plot Device.

In the same category was Tina saying she didn't bring the staff to the sacrifice because "there wasn't time." I guess I'm supposed to assume that both Tina and Robert were out and about when Leslie called everyone about the new sacrifice so they rushed over to the church without stopping by their house to pick up the all important staff. It's possible but still.

Why is Tina fine with Nico having the staff? And not just having it in her possession - she knows that in order for Nico to have it, she must have snooped in her desk to find the manual override for the glass case. She also knows that Nico took it out of the house despite the fact that she hasn't been trained how to use it. Why is she okay with all of this? Does this mean that she knew Nico took it and then lied to Leslie about not having time to bring it to the sacrifice ceremony?

Gert needs to stop being such a backseat driver. I'm all for being a safe driver (really, I am!) but since you guy wasted so much time gabbing in the parking lot, Karolina had to follow the light trail before it disappeared. Not exactly the time to drive 15mph.

I loved seeing the kids bust out their super powers and then later being so excited about what everyone else could do.

The kids letting Molly break down the door means that they were totally fine with openly declaring war on their parents, so maybe it's a good thing that they weren't in the Death Dungeon. I don't think the kids are ready for that. They are all still very conflicted about loving their parents and knowing that their parents have killed 16 kids.

So Victor made this time machine thing but instead of hooking it up to a huge high def flat screen monitor, he decided the best way to see the future was with a tiny shitty low resolution screen in black and white? Uhhh, okay.

I had to laugh when Alex told Geoffrey to get out of his room, Geoffrey said that it was actually his house and therefore Alex's room is actually his room, and then Alex said he would just go stay in the guesthouse. Uh, unless your guesthouse is in the neighbor's yard, the guesthouse belongs to your dad too so stomping out there isn't really doing anything but making you look like a sulky brat. Rich kids, man.

Julian McMahon! I knew that he had a bigger role to play than random guy visiting Geoffrey in prison. Heh, so Frank's suspicions are actually not paranoid since Leslie is obviously more than just platonic friends with Julian. I'm assuming that the "her" who Jonah wants to see is Karolina, so that must mean she is his daughter, not Frank's. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN!

I know I'm supposed to side with the main characters, but I'm leaning towards Darius being the one in the right and Geoffrey being the one in the wrong. I know we've only heard one side of the story so far, but if Darius is telling the truth then Geoffrey really did him dirty. He got Darius to confess to a crime in exchange for promising to take care of his family forever. I don't count ceding your territory as taking care of someone else's family forever. And it's not like Geoffrey is too broke to help Darius and his family. So did something else happen between them? Or is Geoffrey just disassociating himself with his old life completely?

• Love 3

This show is well done for what it is, but I'm not seeing much running away yet. It would have seriously benefited from all episodes being released at once, because this is taking forever to get under way.

Also, Julian McMahon aged ... differently from what I would have expected.

• Love 1

Awwww who`s a cute little dinosaur? Who`s a cute dinosaur? I think its you...

Anyway, I liked the episode, and we seem to be inching closer and closer to the Runaways actually...running away. The kids all coming together and kicking ass, and then being super excited about their new powers/gadgets was super adorable, and more of what I would like to see. The kids actually working together and bonding again. 

Hello there Julian McMahon! So, maybe he`s Karolinas actual father? So who is Frank? Just some guy used for status? Who is this old guy/guy on the side, and how does he fit into anything? 

Damn, Alex has a bit of his parents in him after all. Not that he wasn't justified, being as the guy just helped kidnap him and was threatening his dad, and he tried really hard to help him, but still. We haven't gotten the whole story yet, but it seems like Geoffrey's old buddy has every right to be pissed off at him. Sounds like he dropped him like a hot potato the second he struck it rich. 

I continue to be interested in the dynamic between Chase and his dad. Chase is clearly scared to death of him (every time he messes up, he practically cowers from the guy) but he also wants his approval, and now that he finally has it, he seems less willing to believe the worst of his dad. I fear that the parents could end up manipulating him to side with them over the kids. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, jmonique said:

I didn't even realize it was he until someone mentioned it here, and I usually have a really good memory for faces.

I like that the dinosaur is not exclusively CGI.  The puppet is a little rough, but it gives Gert something to act against, which is good.

If Geoffrey gives too much money to Nana B, the unbought cops will have a good idea how he paid Darius for the confession. Barely enough money to pay for the medicine is enough money to pay for the medicine. Dairius' real problem is buyers' remorse. 

The staff can solve all the problems, and the fact that they aren't bothering to just means Nico is ridiculous, just like the rest of the plot. All the complications are strictly self imposed. Also, since Nico is the only one who matters, what's with all these other people?

- Alex really is bold to be saying all of that to his father and then flouncing off to the guest house. The guest house belongs to your dad too Alex so if he really wanted to, he could kick you out of there too.

- So Frank isn't Karolina's dad? Oh boy, how is Leslie going to explain all of that? And what's going on between Karolina and Nico? Is she crushing on her?

- There's more to this story than Geoffrey not giving Darius' grandma money. I want to know exactly what happened.

- The dinosaur is cute.

I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that Victor (Chase's dad) sort of resembles the newly resuscitated Jonah. Wonder what the connection is?

Ditto comments upthread, I liked seeing the kids come together and share their powers as a a team.

Right? Looks like he's put on some weight. Of course that tends to happen as people get older but it was a momentary shock to me. I was still envisioning the Nip/Tuck Julian.

I was thinking that perhaps Tina "didn't have time to get the staff" is because she already knew Nico took it.  It was nice to see some bonding moments between Chase and his dad and even see Tina try and make a connection with Nico.  Also glad everyone's powers are out in the open.  As a huge fan of the comics, I'm really glad to see them diverge pretty significantly from the comics.  Especially getting more time with the parents.

Five episodes is enough for me to gauge me interest. It isn't for me. I only find a few characters interesting (Nico, Katherine and Tina), individual scenes and stories aren't amazing enough to warrant the slow pacing, and it seems like the teens becoming runaways is will a story saved for the second season. I don't hate it, but I'll read the forums to see if the show finds its groove til I catch up (or if there is nothing else to do).

Edited by quangtran
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, quangtran said:

Five episodes is enough for me to gauge me interest. It isn't for me. I only find a few characters interesting (Nico, Katherine and Tina), individual scenes and stories aren't amazing enough to warrant to slow pacing, the it seems like the teens becoming runaways is will a story saved for the second season. I don't hate it, but I'll read the forums to see if the show finds its groove til I catch up (or if there is nothing else to do).

I know I already complained about it in this thread, but OMG, this show is SO slow. Like, GLACIALLY slow. Is it because I'm definitely NOT a teen? I just don't care. They've bored it out of me.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2017 at 10:12 AM, jmonique said:

This show is well done for what it is, but I'm not seeing much running away yet. It would have seriously benefited from all episodes being released at once, because this is taking forever to get under way.

My theory is that the running away won't take place until the "cliffhanger" whenever that might be. They are slowing it down for effect. I didn't understand what was going on with Karolina and Nico. I mean if you are crushing on her what a time to try to get some lov'in.  I also was surprised that Alex's dad allowed shooting near his son.  Julian McMahon is Crusty!  I am confused though... they have killed 16 kids and it seems like Crusty hasn't ever seen his daughter. Did it take 16 kids to get him back?   Whereas originally it seemed like he got a kid.... healed and then relapsed.  Whatever the ultimate explanation is... it better be good.  I still don't understand the entire sacrificing process. This time there were two coffins and Crusty appeared to emerge from one. 

I think I like the show better because I can't see them all at once.  

• Love 1

So Karolina can fly. And Gert can use Kafka and arcade games to flirt with guys. And Tina's password is password? And Gert is into Chase who is into Karolina who is into Nico who is into Alex. Molly must be feeling left out of that love pentagon.

Did Tina set up her DNA scanner to recognize anyone who is related to her? Or is this supposed to indicate that Nico is Tina's clone or something like that?

• Love 5

I'm glad we got a flashback to see how the parents originally got involved fifteen years ago (and props to Robert for being the first one to say he wanted to go to the police), but I still want to know how Jonah was maintaining his non-crusty state before they started doing the sacrifices. I'm also not clear as to why they all need to be present (and wearing red robes) when the sacrifice gets put into the box.

Hee, Alex has a Pez collection! And he has a display for them! I can't wait until Gert sees the dinosaur poster in his room.

Part of me found it hilarious that none of the parents noticed the death glares they were getting from all the kids at the big party. And finally, a fancy dress up event, a staple of teen shows! Obviously if it took until episode 6 to get an event like this, the show is not going the Gossip Girl route.

The actress playing Nico is very pretty and I get that she's supposed to be Emo Girl, but putting her under those bright lights at the party made her too pale foundation really stand out. I also hated the pink under her eyes.

Ha, I love that Gert's idea of flirting is talking about existentialism. I mean, I know she was working with the only visible clue she had about the security guard, but still.

Hilarious when Tina caught everyone playing the video game that Robert gave her and the security guard said she's a lot scarier when she's quiet. It's true.

So if Jonah and Dale gave Victor that shot with Jonah's DNA to cure his brain cancer, does that mean that now Pride will have to do two sacrifices a year to keep Jonah and Victor alive and non-crusty?

What are the chances that Leslie will convince Frank that seeing her having sex with Jonah is just a paranoid delusion and not a real memory? I guess that's why the door to the private room has a lock now! Dale and Stacey are going to be in big trouble when everyone realizes that their mind wiping serum isn't 100% effective.

Damn it, Molly.

• Love 1

I was not expecting that Stan Lee cameo.

I'm beginning to agree that the pacing on the show is too slow. I actually liked the development of the parents' stories in parallel to the kids, but right now it feels like a 50/50 split. Which isn't obviously detracts from the runaways. At this point, I don't think they will earn that title this season because there are so many family issues still do be dealt with. 

• Love 1

The more this goes on, the harder it is to imagine these people running away together. 

The show dropped a couple of anvils to the effect that Alex is the computer whisperer and Chase's superpower is being supersmart while still being cool. 

The parents are making less and less sense. Tina's magic powers make her the boss, what point is there to all these other people.?

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

Tina's magic powers make her the boss, what point is there to all these other people.?

When I figure that out, I'll let you know lol.

So the pacing is slow but by the end of the episode I was completely immersed in all the little subplots and what they mean for the Pride going forward. Netflix has spoiled me because when the credits started to roll, I reached out to skip to the next episode then realised there won't be one until next week.

Last time I asked if Karolina has a crush on Nico (because I'm clearly slow on the uptake here). Thanks for answering my question show! (Now isn't the time for you to be shooting your shot though Karolina)

I did catch on to the anvil they dropped about Alex knowing the password so quickly. Is he working with the parents or does he know what's really going on and is a part of it? If so, what's his end game by exposing the parents?

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Or is this supposed to indicate that Nico is Tina's clone or something like that?

I was thinking clone as well. 50% DNA match shouldn't work on things that are genetically locked to a single DNA sequence. 

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So if Jonah and Dale gave Victor that shot with Jonah's DNA to cure his brain cancer

I actually thought that it was Karolina's DNA. From what we have seen of Jonah, I imagine he would come right out and tell Pride that he was a magical healing unicorn if it was his. 

7 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

I did catch on to the anvil they dropped about Alex knowing the password so quickly. Is he working with the parents or does he know what's really going on and is a part of it? If so, what's his end game by exposing the parents?

I am leaning toward his being a shady lying liar who is in on the parents plan somehow. Except that I don't think Tina would have broken into tears if she knew the kids were there in her office.

Alex is totally fishy though. Unless he has a psychic link to computers there is no way he guessed that password. And from the look on her face I think that Nico has come to the same conclusion. 

Did they use the mind wipe stuff on Victor? Or maybe he was just high on life, but you can't just brush off a full-on real housewives meltdown. And in front of the press no less. I imagine that there will be some uncomfortable moments going forward. 

I am actually finding Victor to be more sympathetic than his wife. And he is an abusive megalomaniacal child-beating dick. James Marsters is awesome obviously, but Catherine is just such a limp, passive, child-abuse-condoning dishrag that I think I might hate her most of all the parents.

At least Tina is interesting, even if she turns out to be super evil, which looks very likely. Seriously, Robert should be sleeping with one eye open. 

• Love 3

I've been enjoying this show, although I agree that the pace is a little slow. I think this is the type of show that would benefit from binge-watching.

I like how they're handling Karolina's sexuality -- her realization and acceptance have been fairly subtle (I've seen many fans arguing over whether or not the show was going there up until today, so don't feel bad for having to ask, @kdm07), but realistic. I hope she stops stringing Chase along soon and that she and Gert are all right. I liked that bonding moment they had in an earlier episode and I'd rather see that kind of thing than more girls at each other's throats (especially over a guy... and especially when they're not even both interested in said guy).

I don't get why Tina is so quick to teach Nico how to use the staff. That's a powerful potential weapon; does she really trust her kid that much? They've only been getting along for a couple of episodes now.

I don't think there's any way that Tina's password was "password." I mean, I work in tech and I have seen some dumb, easily guessable passwords from people who should know better, but "password" is pushing it. If Alex is lying, he could have at least said it was Nico's birthday (or her dead sister Amy's birthday!) or something.

This is just a 10-episode season, right? Something big has to happen soon.

• Love 2

i think they may have lost me w this episode... just movin too slow. I hope theyre building up to something, and i felt like they were in the first few episodes. i was even one of the defenders of the slow pace! but the more bread crumbs they drop (and the longer they take to drop them) the less intriguing the mystery is.

i think i wouldnt even mind a show just about the parents getting roped into pride at this point. i know the show is supposed to be about the teens but based on this episode, im not feeling like their dynamic is compelling enough to carry the show on its own. 

I think Alex's power is some kind of computer-hackery-mind-melding.  I watched Tina type in her password, and it wasn't anything close to "password."  In fact, it ended with a number.  The question for me is does he realise what he's doing?

I also think Nico's DNA matching might be related to her power.

Molly annoys me.

Stan Lee!!

• Love 5

Idk, at first i was really into the mystery of wtf pride is up to but now i feel like its gotten overly complicated. i think they might have bit off more then they can chew what with making the big bads more sympathetic. I also feel like theyre trying tone down some of the most comicbooky stuff and make things more believable but i think just being like whatevs guys its magic actually lets me suspend my disbelief more then when they try and explain me science magic... is that just me?  

59 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

If Alex is lying, he could have at least said it was Nico's birthday (or her dead sister Amy's birthday!) or something.

When he figured it out so quickly, I thought he was going to say the password was Nico’s birthday and then Nico would take that as another sign that her mom really loves her and make her hesitate to let Alex steal the incriminating video footage. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, sjohnson said:

The parents are making less and less sense.

I'm still liking the show, but I agree with this. We have glimpses as to why the joined the Pride, but, now that they have achieved their goals, why are the still committed to it? We know that some parents want out, but outside of Tina as an enforcer, why don't they leave? Why were they all so relieved when they thought the first sacrifice was successful? Did they know that it was done to bring back Jonah? 

The motivation of the parents' is really getting muddled. Hopefully, Alex's mom realizing that Molly did see the sacrifice will spur some action on this. 

• Love 2

This show is so good. I enjoy it so much more than the comics. All of the characters have been really well developed and especially the relationships and characters of the parents. They all feel very human- the writers and performers do such a good job of portraying the many sides of the character's personalities, it makes it very easy to feel the conflicts the kids are experiencing dealing with whether their parents are complete monsters or caring adults (or both). I actually think the show works better when it doesn't do the superhero-y stuff.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2017 at 9:59 PM, pumpkin said:

i think they may have lost me w this episode... just movin too slow. I hope theyre building up to something, and i felt like they were in the first few episodes. i was even one of the defenders of the slow pace! but the more bread crumbs they drop (and the longer they take to drop them) the less intriguing the mystery is.

i think i wouldnt even mind a show just about the parents getting roped into pride at this point. i know the show is supposed to be about the teens but based on this episode, im not feeling like their dynamic is compelling enough to carry the show on its own. 

I binge watched the first 5 episodes and didn't really mind the slow pace up to that point.  But after waiting for a week for this episode, I can see why some viewers are getting impatient.  Except that I find myself much more interested in the story with the kids discovering their powers, as opposed to the PRIDE subplot with the parents.  I hope they focus more on the kids as the show moves forward.

• Love 2

The last Marvel series I watched prior to this (excepting The Punisher, Netflix series are a different animal) was Inhumans and that show sucked. I am enjoying this show perhaps more than it deserves but nonetheless. I like that the parents aren't straight up evil but rather seem to be arriving at this point by painful compromises and self-interest. The kids are appropriately curious and appropriately doubtful.

The Stan Lee cameo was made of awesome-dipped awesome and I loved it! I notice Stan Lee did not go out of his way to make an appearance in Inhumans.

Karolina and Nico? I'll be in my bunk.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:35 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So if Jonah and Dale gave Victor that shot with Jonah's DNA to cure his brain cancer, does that mean that now Pride will have to do two sacrifices a year to keep Jonah and Victor alive and non-crusty?

I assumed that it was an oblique reference to Wolverine because Hulu doesn't have the rights to mutants. 

I am surprisingly enjoying the show just fine.  I say surprisingly not because of the perceived slow pace; I like character-driven shows. I originally assumed this would be a show mainly geared toward teens. Well, I am not a teen and like it just fine.

• Love 5