Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Robin Auto Pilot, Smartgurlz, DNAsimple, Grypmat / S09.E11: Reely Hooked, Prontobev, Slumberkins, Cut Buddy

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Why do we need men in STEM fields? Men are not inherently better at science/math based fields. 

STEM toys aren't meant to force all girls into stem fields but to let all children, regardless of gender have access to different areas of interest so they can do what they have aptitude for without gender stereotypes telling them they are the wrong gender to be a scientist or a nurse.

• Love 5

Late to the party but wanted to share what I've learned about DNA Simple's market. I'm not someone concerned about my DNA being in a database. Ancestory has had it for years, so go forth and market crap to me. I was intrigued by the business and had earmarked it to check it out later. 

Fast forward to a a couple of days after the episode. I was at University of Michigan hospital for a scheduled surgery. Right before I was taken to the OR, I was paid a visit by their genome project team who is doing the exact same thing as DNA Simple but asking for volunteers. I chewed this guy's ear off to understand the project (probably to the point where he was sorry he asked). They ask everyone who is about to go in for surgery if they wish to donate a small amount of blood for the database. You won't be reimbursed for this. The sample is given a random number to strip it of your identifying information. Then it sits in their library until a research project needs it. Apparently, they've been doing this for 5 years and have over 80,000 samples. Like DNA Simple, there seems to be a magic number of 100,000 they want to get to. They told me that around 80% of patients consent. I did - my health is good but my father has a rare disease that not much is known about, so I believe it's important to get my genetic makeup into the hands of people who can use it to find out more. I filled out the survey and am now part of the block. 

This made me think that there really cannot be that much long term viability to what DNA Simple is doing. I'm sure UM is not the only research hospital who has been doing this for years. Hospitals have a way to get samples with no acquisition costs. I'm unclear if they would sell their samples to private research, but if they did, it could be for much less than DNA Simple since they don't need to pay the subjects, collect additional DNA, etc. 

Maybe this is interesting only to me, but I went from liking the DNA Simple model to doubting it will survive 24 months.  

• Love 1
On 11/22/2017 at 5:10 AM, hkit said:

Late to the party but wanted to share what I've learned about DNA Simple's market. I'm not someone concerned about my DNA being in a database. Ancestory has had it for years, so go forth and market crap to me. I was intrigued by the business and had earmarked it to check it out later. 

Fast forward to a a couple of days after the episode. I was at University of Michigan hospital for a scheduled surgery. Right before I was taken to the OR, I was paid a visit by their genome project team who is doing the exact same thing as DNA Simple but asking for volunteers. I chewed this guy's ear off to understand the project (probably to the point where he was sorry he asked). They ask everyone who is about to go in for surgery if they wish to donate a small amount of blood for the database. You won't be reimbursed for this. The sample is given a random number to strip it of your identifying information. Then it sits in their library until a research project needs it. Apparently, they've been doing this for 5 years and have over 80,000 samples. Like DNA Simple, there seems to be a magic number of 100,000 they want to get to. They told me that around 80% of patients consent. I did - my health is good but my father has a rare disease that not much is known about, so I believe it's important to get my genetic makeup into the hands of people who can use it to find out more. I filled out the survey and am now part of the block. 

This made me think that there really cannot be that much long term viability to what DNA Simple is doing. I'm sure UM is not the only research hospital who has been doing this for years. Hospitals have a way to get samples with no acquisition costs. I'm unclear if they would sell their samples to private research, but if they did, it could be for much less than DNA Simple since they don't need to pay the subjects, collect additional DNA, etc. 

Maybe this is interesting only to me, but I went from liking the DNA Simple model to doubting it will survive 24 months.  

Kaiser insurance does this too. I was asked if I would donate few years ago. I have fibromyalgia, chronic pain, depression and insomnia so I didn't even think about it much as I would love for someone figure these things out. Until recently it was just in your head problem and I wasn't able to get disability so I'm now seven years without any income. I hope there will be a day when I will be finally pain free and will be able to sleep without sleeping pills.