Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: All Things Degrassi

Responding to some conversation in the Best/Worst thread:

The baby that Snake and Spike had should be old enough to start Degrassi soon.

If the writers even remember.

Thing is, with the messed up timeline of the show, I'm pretty sure Jack is still only like 7-8. He was born sometime around S2-3, right?

Part of me actually wonders if, in 5-10 years, they're going to relaunch the show (or soft reboot it, if this version never ends) with Emma and Spinner in the Spike and Snake roles, with their kid(s) as the new main character. And Marco as a teacher.

Edited by Jonathan Seagull
  • Love 1

Thing is, with the messed up timeline of the show, I'm pretty sure Jack is still only like 7-8. He was born sometime around S2-3, right?

He was born in the season premiere of Season 3. It's the episode where Emma goes find Shane. When was the last time Jack appeared? I just looked up on Degrassi Wiki and it says the season 9 episode where Emma and Kelly come back from their biking trip.

I would love to either see Marco as a teacher or Spinner as a police officer or Degrassi's security guard. Paige's class would be having their 10 year reunion in 2 years (although with the timeline who knows how many seasons it'll be until 2016 in the Degrassi world). It'd be cool if they did an episode or movie special for that.

Edited by love21
  • Love 2

Not the same, but there's a mini (from S6) that is about a future reunion. Speaking of mini's, I'd already seen the first one about/following JT's death, but I had not seen this one, about the 6th month anniversary. The last bit is unnecessary, but otherwise it's kind of touching. And it notably features someone who (disappointingly) did not get to react to JT's death on the actual show, which was awesome.

I would put my money Spencer or Marco would come back in some capacity. Both actors have visited the set in the last couple seasons.

That's interesting to know. If Marco did 4 years of university, he should have gotten his teaching degree at the end of S12. Or whatever his actual major was, with teacher certification. Assuming it works roughly the same way in Canada as it does in the U.S.

Edited by Jonathan Seagull

That's interesting to know. If Marco did 4 years of university, he should have gotten his teaching degree at the end of S12. Or whatever his actual major was, with teacher certification. Assuming it works roughly the same way in Canada as it does in the U.S.

It's on the Degrassi YouTube channel.

I would love to either see Marco as a teacher or Spinner as a police officer or Degrassi's security guard. Paige's class would be having their 10 year reunion in 2 years (although with the timeline who knows how many seasons it'll be until 2016 in the Degrassi world). It'd be cool if they did an episode or movie special for that.

I was thinking the same thing I am hoping they do a movie/episode on it. I really hate the fact they ruined Paige's character in that stupid movie.

Edited by choclatechip45

And I'm still pissed that Alex never got any fall out from the prank that led to the school shooting.

That was so dumb. Spinner lost a year, didn't Jay drop out/get kicked out? Alex - nothing. 

• Love 1

I assume Jay got kicked out but unlike Spinner, it probably didn't matter much to him so he didn't press the issue and try to go back. But yeah.. Alex should have gotten into trouble. And didn't she help them out by having an in to pull the prank because she was vice president? I seem to recall a line from Jay about "having a girlfriend who is the vice president helps.." How did that never come up with how Spinner and Jay were able to pull it off? 

Didn't Miss H ask them (or just Spinner) who was involved, and Spinner didn't give up her name because she both felt guilty, and because only he and Jay tricked Rick into thinking Jimmy was behind the prank?  I agree she should've gotten in trouble, but I think the only reason she didn't was because Jay and Spinner didn't give her name up.  And I also feel like the show was trying to float the idea that because Alex felt terribly guilty about all of it, we're supposed to be ok with her not getting in trouble (I don't agree with that sentiment, but I feel like that's what they were trying to show us in the episode with the aftermath).

• Love 1

You're probably right. I don't think they ever gave her name up. Plus I guess there was that scene with the aftermath when the three of them were walking out of the school where Alex did seem visibly upset-although weren't all of them?. But yeah, Spinner only said Jays name and I guess Jay never gave up Alex's name. I'm not sure if he should be commended for that. Also maybe the writers were thinking ahead with the Alex character and knew they wanted her to have a thing with Paige? Obviously if she was kicked out of school they couldn't have happened. But I don't know if the writers thought that far ahead. Alex and Paige already sort of had a work relationship going on so maybe they were. Either way, the show should have never had her be in on it if nothing would come out of for her. Jay could have easily taken keys or whatever they needed for Alex's assistance in the crime without her being outright involved-or without us viewers being shown she was involved. 

The only one I don't remember being all that upset was Jay, and the only reason that stuck in my head was because it made me think he was a total sociopath.  I mean, later I liked his character better, but I remember him being kinda blase about the whole thing.

I think you're right; I'm guessing the producers knew they wanted to have a bigger storyline with Alex - maybe not necessarily the Paige storyline, but that they'd be using her more- because they definitely started rehabbing her image right around this time.     

• Love 2

I think karma kinda got Alex anyway. She lost her relationship with Paige, ended up stripping, was hooked on drugs at one point.

The Cali movie was okay, but I hated that they gave Paige a terrible ending. She would never ever have ended up a low rent assistant. And I hated her playing second rate to Manny. Again. Just no. I like to fanwank that Paige ended up as an apprentice to Kelly Cutrone and got her own fashion line. She's now a judge on Canada's Next Top Model, and got her degree in educational counseling. Why? Because she's Paige. Her brother is still a jerk, but plays soccer in Europe. She and Marco are besties again. Paige also laughed at the Emma/Spinner wedding. She sent a toaster as a gift.

I'm partway through re-watching season 10. I had forgotten about Wesley, Connor and Dave trying to be a band, foiled by Dave's terrible singing. Funny how the next school year he was suddenly a strong enough singer to play the lead in the school musical.

• Love 1

I've been conducting a little bit of a DeGrassi rewatch over the past few weeks. I'm now on season four and of ALL the ridiculous moments this great show presented, there has only been one that has compelled me to enter this forum.

In the season four two part premiere, Craig receives a $10,000 check from his father's estate for his birthday. Craig blows the money on guitars and such as teenagers do. Joey, who feels some type of way about this, then asks him to pony up some dough for rent and guilts him about how much money Craig costs. Now, if Craig were an adult, I could understand, however, expecting a child to not only have the foresight to offer that money but to also take the money from the child was ridiculous. Joey invited Craig to live in his home as his child, not as a financial contributor to the home. I can't believe he actually tried to take money from a 16 year old. If Craig was costing more money than the monthly stipend Joey received from the estate, he should have requested more.

• Love 2

So after catching the Netflix version, I went back to 11B to catch up with this current cast (I think Clare's class drove me away from the show, so it was a struggle.) and while I think Olivia Scriven and Ricardo Hoyos have great chemistry, and that scene in season 12 where he tells her he'll wait for her is one of the most genuinely earnest teen moments this show has ever produced (the way they shyly hold hands and smile, ugh, I felt like I was 15 again) they really really dropped the ball on the Zig/Zoe flirtation. I get that the show was ending and they had to rush to tie up their loose ends, but those two were so much fun! Ricardo Hoyos' acting has improved a lot (why they tried to push a troubled bad boy when his talent is obviously in comedy is beyond me) and Ana Golja seemed to draw out his best performances. They also missed out on the perfect opportunity to have Zoe try to rehab her reputation, while dating some "bad boy drug dealer" whose entire wardrobe is made up of black muscle tees. The makeover scenes would have been epic.

I'm pretty sure that Sara Waisglass is some sort of Katie Holmes clone commissioned by Canadian television executives in response to the WB-explosion of the late 90's. She was born in 1998 during Katie Holmes peak ingenue appeal, so the theory is completely valid.