Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E30: Presidency of Donald Trump

• Start Topic

God bless the Catheter Cowboy. 

That tool from Fox News laughing at the idea of reporters getting nervous over Trump's comments needs to put a sock in it. Same with Hannity. And if I never hear the term "fake news" again, it'll be too soon. Trump abruptly ending that interview is infuriating on so many levels, too. 

Did like the reminder that stuff like the Virginia elections are reason to still stay hopeful, though (Danica Roem has so much class, honestly. She seems truly awesome). And motivated. He's right that we absolutely need to stay motivated going forward, too. I have no earthly idea what else could possibly happen between now and this show's return in February, but I'm hoping that when it does return, Oliver will have some more positive political developments and some really good news to talk about. Until February, then!

• Love 11

Well, we got a cheerier note to end the year in contrast to 2016. While we still have the same ominous threat looming over us, we have a modicum of hope. John got to do the ending he wanted tonight: Catheter Cowboy and a lot of the characters from the past year. Including Jack MacBrayer in his Kato Kaelin wig. And the penguins! Still wish I could've seen a clip about the Traffic Zebras, as opposed to the greenscreen footage for online  use.

Great year for John. He got an Emmy, the show got an Emmy, he's gonna play Zazu in the upcoming live-action take of The Lion King . . .  and Saturday Night Live briefly goofed on him about it last night. It's 1:30-1:40 . . . very good impression.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Saturday Night Live briefly goofed on him about it last night. It's 1:30-1:40 . . . very good impression.

Ending that impression with “and now this...” was perfection. 

The predictive text gag made me laugh so hard I cried a little and then I kept crying a little because it was so accurate. 

Also, a Tom Hanks cameo is a pretty glorious end game for buying 5 wax presidents with your unlimited dragon money. 

• Love 11

So when he was in his mid 30s Trump needed his uncle to explain to him what a nuclear bomb would do? I assume he meant bomb because he never finished his freaking sentence. 

I don't think John looks like a shriveled apple or a pickle with or without glasses.

I had somehow missed the fact that Dean Cain was a tool!

Danica Roem exhibits high class and high shade!

The commercials were great 

My boyfriend bought me a gigantic reeses mug after seeing that story! 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Delwyn said:

The predictive text gag made me laugh so hard I cried a little and then I kept crying a little because it was so accurate.

That was outstanding. 

I loved seeing the penguins again! John interacting with puppets will never get old for me.

• Love 9

I was distracted at the end, so I thought the Hanks bit was going to be a promo for Jon Stewart's new gig. I'm glad it was Wax WGH (WWGH?) in the chair. With all the other WPOTUSes playing along!

If Niecy Nash has single handedly saved the spandex jumpsuit industry, I think we can safely give LWT credit for keeping the Plush Mascot industry in the black.

• Love 7

Loved the ending - Tom Hanks for the win!

But man, the incoherent rambling of the leader of the free world is scary to see when written down like that!

Also, showing all the whataboutism like that was both hilarious and scary!  I live in South Africa so luckily don't have that much exposure to FOX News, but man, they really don't even try, do they?

And that bit on most important show in America, was extremely sad and funny in equal measures...

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Trump abruptly ending that interview is infuriating on so many levels, too. 

It's not even like he was being asked a hard question. The guy was like, "you're the president. I want to hear your opinion." I loved how the camera just stayed on him and he had no idea what to do. 

The whole 'what about' is all over the place, and I'm glad they did a piece on it. And John's right; it starts from the president. 

One of the great things about the election is how many people came out and voted, and I hope even more come out to vote in 2018. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

It's not even like he was being asked a hard question. The guy was like, "you're the president. I want to hear your opinion." I loved how the camera just stayed on him and he had no idea what to do. 

And then he has the nerve to complain that people are making up things about him or misunderstanding his stances on various issues. Well, gee, Trump, maybe if you stopped trying to shut down anyone who asked you a legitimate question and actually answered them (and in a coherent manner at that), that sort of confusion wouldn't be happening.

One of the great things about the election is how many people came out and voted, and I hope even more come out to vote in 2018. 

Seconded. We need to bang that drum as hard and as loud as we possibly can next year, and send a proper message to anyone who condones or looks the other way on this kind of immature, dangerous behavior.

• Love 7

But man, the incoherent rambling of the leader of the free world is scary to see when written down like that

Seriously. I don't understand how anyone can listen to this guy for more than a minute and not realize there's something seriously wrong with him. Every time he talks, he starts to say something, then he starts to say something else, then he starts to say something else, then he starts to say something else, etc., etc. He's completely unable to finish a coherent thought.

Sad the show is off 'til February.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, purist said:

That was outstanding. 

I loved seeing the penguins again! John interacting with puppets will never get old for me.

So true! If the many worlds theory is correct I'd like to imagine there's a world out there where ABC didn't royally screw up the latest version of The Muppet Show and John just guest starred on one of the third season's shows where the network wanted them to go more topical and intellectual like John's show and it all went gloriously, insanely wrong with explosions and John being chased around the stage by puppet animals. And he mentioned it just before going into his big piece about how the Republicans were still blocking President Clinton's Supreme Court nominee...

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And if I never hear the term "fake news" again, it'll be too soon.

Geez Louise, yes. Fake news and snowflake can go jump in a lake together.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Seriously. I don't understand how anyone can listen to this guy for more than a minute and not realize there's something seriously wrong with him. Every time he talks, he starts to say something, then he starts to say something else, then he starts to say something else, then he starts to say something else, etc., etc. He's completely unable to finish a coherent thought.

I hear ya, but I think his supporters might like that he's not one of those elite intellectuals. Some might also say that they know what he's saying, so critics are just picking on him for partisanship's sake. We all have in-group bias, but this is ridiculous.

Loved that the iPhone predictive text sounded EXACTLY like Trump. It was uncanny.

Also loved the bit with NYT calling Fox & Friends the most powerful show, with the one co-host saying, "Because we have the best viewers," quickly followed by John saying, "No."

The Catheter Cowboy is awesome. 

I had actually started reading Twitter this morning when I saw a tweet from LWT saying, "Thanks, @tomhanks!" So I knew when the part of the show ended with John at his desk, I needed to keep watching. So so so glad I did.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I had somehow missed the fact that Dean Cain was a tool!

Weird that someone who made his money playing a literal illegal alien now presumably makes more money supporting people who would have shot Supes back into space without his cape and stopped him from ever seeing his parents again.

Lois was always the smart one, though.

• Love 9

And that's our president, unfortunately. Shhhhhh.....I think it's the Shadow Monster from Stranger Things controlling Trump. That's the reason there are so many run on sentences that go on and on with no end. His massive weight gain and no cohesive thought narrative that Trump does. It makes sense. Trump is not a human being at all. That skit from Stephen Colbert sums up the Upside Down perfectly...

So, John, we got him...

• Love 6
15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

“And Frederick Douglass is dead.

Me: DYING!!?????????

Oh, I was a goner long before we got to that.  The cause of my demise?  This "presidential" gem:

"We opened up a CLEAN coal mine in PA.  They're gonna get coal--they're gonna clean it!"  

• Love 5
Just now, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Oh, I was a goner long before we got to that.  The cause of my demise?  This "presidential" gem:

"We opened up a CLEAN coal mine in PA.  They're gonna get coal--they're gonna clean it!"  

Of course. But I just loved the way Catheter Cowboy  pulled up that picture of Frederick Douglass!

• Love 3

I loved that Frederick Douglass bit because it proved the very thing Oliver mentioned in the episode, which is that Trump's done and said so much crazy crap this year to where I actually forgot about that whole incident. It feels like it was ages ago. 

• Love 2

Oh man, how good is it going to be when John can drop the WE GOT HIM banner for real? The celebrations will be massive.

Do you mean when John finally proves there's really only one Olsen twin? Because I think that's far more likely to happen that "getting" Trump. He's proven he's not fit for office a hundred times over and still nobody is doing anything about it.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I'm more than a little bummed that Catheter Cowboy isn't a mainstay on other networks.  Imagine how he could educate the masses?  But I know, we must have our priorities..

'The more you cath, the more you know...'

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I have no doubt that the president has no idea what 'clean coal' actually is. 

11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Do you mean when John finally proves there's really only one Olsen twin?

I'm really disappointed that they didn't show up. That would have been an hilarious payoff for one of the most ridiculous running jokes. 

• Love 4

They cut out the Tom Hanks bit here on HBO Canada, fucking bastards! It looked like Tom Hanks from behind to me.

A lot of what Ollie said about Drumph's modus operandi was frustrating and depressing. Especially when others on the right adopt those same methods.. But he did bring up some hope at the end, especially with last Tuesday's election results (and Ollie never even brought up the ongoing Mueller investigation, which will grow bigger as 2018 marches on). But they have to keep going on it, because the right will never, ever give up and will do whatever it takes to pull off victory.

I'm surprised Ollie never brought up the gift he gave Scranton. That may have been one of the biggest things he pulled off this past year.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Do you mean when John finally proves there's really only one Olsen twin? Because I think that's far more likely to happen that "getting" Trump. He's proven he's not fit for office a hundred times over and still nobody is doing anything about it.

No, I mean when Drumpf is finally got. It's going to happen - it's just a matter of when. (Although I'm looking forward to 'getting' the Olsen twin too.)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'm really disappointed that they didn't show up. That would have been an hilarious payoff for one of the most ridiculous running jokes. 

You too? I was expecting that to be topped with one of the twins putting John's hand between herself and her sister, all, "If you were correct, your hand would've been broke by now." BTW, what do Mary-Kate and Ashley do, anyway?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

BTW, what do Mary-Kate and Ashley do, anyway?

They run the Elizabeth & James and The Row fashion lines. They're billionaires. Mary Kate married the half brother of the former French President Nicolas Sarkozy, Ash is still single. I think it would have been funny if only one of them showed up. Flip a coin, ladies, prove JO "right."

• Love 3

Uh, John is so right about the 'whataboutism'.  I'm always seeing that as a response to anti-trump facebook posts and in conversations.  they don't respond to the issue, but bring up something a Clinton or Obama did and force others to defend them instead of addressing the whole point of the main post.

And that clip of Trump telling the reporter, 'you have your own opinion' in response to the reporter asking trump what he meant, or thinks is such a great scene.   And then trump blasts people for 'not reporting X' or misinterpreting what he did.  Its purposeful misdirection at his finest.  maybe trump isn't as stupid as some people think he is.  He's just trained well in pivoting, whataboutism, trolling, and misdirection.

• Love 3

No, I mean when Drumpf is finally got. It's going to happen - it's just a matter of when. (Although I'm looking forward to 'getting' the Olsen twin too.)

I honestly have no idea what has to happen at this point for him to get "got." He could probably murder someone on camera and still have the same support he has now. 

They run the Elizabeth & James and The Row fashion lines.

You mean "they."

• Love 7

I think John or one of his writers must read these boards because when he talked about the wax president he mentioned "Laura fucking Linney." Completely cracked me up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I think John or one of his writers must read these boards because when he talked about the wax president he mentioned "Laura fucking Linney." Completely cracked me up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

If you look at Laura Linney's IMDB credits, this short film is mentioned and she's actually credited as "Laura Fucking Linney".  :)

• Love 4
On 11/15/2017 at 2:34 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Trump is the type person that acts tough, but in the end he is a wimp. A wimp with no brains. Or a typical man child who never grew up. Either way, still scary. 

Snowflake #1.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2017 at 9:43 AM, iMonrey said:

Sad the show is off 'til February.

He must have the same "speech prep" coach as Farrah from Teen Mom.

• Love 1