Type keyword(s) to search

Meghan McCain: "Both Sides" Wannabe Tough Chick

Jaded
Message added by helenamonster

You may only post about political topics as they relate to the current discussion on the show. Items from hosts' social media, speculation about their opinion on current political events, etc. are not allowed and will result in disciplinary measures.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, deirdra said:

And it is not because she is a Republican, but because she is an annoying narcissist who behaves like an entitled and tempestuous toddler when she doesn't get her way.

And worse!   Well said!  Can't she see that everyone loves Ana--uhhhh, a Republican?

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, WonderWuman73 said:

And she’s also needs to stop saying that miscarriages and the death are taboo subjects. 

Because she doesn't have enough REAL FRIENDS to know that most of us talk over and solve many personal things with our friends.   Politics is such a small part of most people's daily lives; it doesn't take up all our time.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, suomi said:

Tickets are $100-250. Dinner is included. It is not a fundraiser for the hospice agency or whatever it is. There are no provisions for those who wish to attend but can't afford a ticket, unless/until a sponsor donates tickets. 

Ummm...who's getting the money?   If not needy Meghan, perhaps she should make sure she knows so there's no blowback via tabloids. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Ummm...who's getting the money?   If not needy Meghan, perhaps she should make sure she knows so there's no blowback via tabloids. 

My hinting around with the nice gal who answered the phone is how I got the info that it's not a fundraiser for the hospice society. The price "reflects the cost of dinner and the room in the hotel where the speaker appears." I couldn"t figure out how to ask if the speaker receives a fee without arousing suspicion.

Mentioning that I'm a retiree with a fixed income asking if any low cost/no cost tickets will be available threw her for a loop and it's the only question that rattled her. She stumbled around while answering and said if someone paid for tickets and then donated them back that info would become available about a week ahead of the date. I said that might be too late to get a good travel deal but it was worth asking about and thanked her for her time.

And after I hung up, of course, I wished I had asked what you get for $100 and what you get for $250. Dang it!

Going by some experience I have with hospice agencies and the Special Olympics that's not to say that the hotel isn't donating the meals and the space as a tax deduction (or as good will, to be sure), freeing the funds from ticket sales to be given to the speaker.

AFAIK a speakers bureau gets part of the speaker's fee as a commission for booking them - because otherwise how do they make money, right?

Travel and accommodations for the speaker can be part of the deal as well. It all depends on what each side in the transaction wants to get/wants to pay for.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, suomi said:

My hinting around with the nice gal who answered the phone is how I got the info that it's not a fundraiser for the hospice society.

I wonder if it's usual to have dinner included with this type of discussion, since it's not a fund-raiser, or an awards ceremony.

In some instances, a higher price means a closer seat.  I know with political fundraisers, the higher price point often means you get to meet/take a picture with the person it's for. 

It would be interesting to find out how the ticket sales end up.

edited to add - I checked their website, and now I think it might be a fundraiser, but not just for the hospice.  There are a handful of additional entities, such as Good Shepherd Palliative Care and Good Shepherd PediPal, under the umbrella of Good Shepherd Community Care, and the dinner where Meghan is speaking, the Good Shepherd Institute Dinner, is probably their annual dinner (there was a link to a slideshow of their 2018 dinner).

So I imagine people will be attending mostly for the Institute, and not because of Meghan.  I have no knowledge of these types of organizations, but I'm impressed with the wide variety of services they offer, in various categories.

This only makes me more surprised that they chose Meghan as their speaker.  Last year's speaker is more understandable, and very impressive - Wikipedia .

Edited by lusinia
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Well, we can call right before the date to find out if tickets are still available. "I realize that it's short notice but how many tickets can I get?" 😉

Edited by suomi
Didn't notice a typo earlier
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, lusinia said:

edited to add - I checked their website, and now I think it might be a fundraiser, but not just for the hospice.  There are a handful of additional entities, such as Good Shepherd Palliative Care and Good Shepherd PediPal, under the umbrella of Good Shepherd Community Care, and the dinner where Meghan is speaking, the Good Shepherd Institute Dinner, is probably their annual dinner (there was a link to a slideshow of their 2018 dinner).

Hmm, that is interesting because I specifically asked if it is a fundraiser because that would understandably rule out the possibility of discounted tickets. And I said that. When she said "No, no, not a fundraiser" I wondered about the purpose.

(Palliative care is a synonym for hospice care).

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 2

The Eventbrite website provides contact information for those interested in sponsorships or donations, which suggests that the $100-250 is to keep MM & Mhubby flush with JD, cigars & bullets.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Hmm, that is interesting because I specifically asked if it is a fundraiser because that would understandably rule out the possibility of discounted tickets. And I said that. When she said "No, no, not a fundraiser" I wondered about the purpose.

(Palliative care is a synonym for hospice care).

Here's a link to their website - Good Shepherd Community Care.  Under the 'Programs/Services' heading the drop down menu lists hospice and palliative care separately, so that's why I listed them that way.

The section on the homepage that mentions Meghan's appearance is headlined with the dinner, and then ends with "[If you] would like to make a donation to Good Shepherd Institute...", so I think you're right, the cost of the tickets is to cover the cost of the venue, the dinner, and Meghan's fee, but it's an occasion where many in attendance will likely make donations to the organization.  If it was a fundraiser, donations wouldn't be optional.  

October 30, 2019
Good Shepherd Institute Dinner

“Destigmatizing Grief”
A conversation with Meghan McCain
Boston Marriott Quincy 5:30pm

In one of her first interviews to talk exclusively about her father, Senator John McCain’s death, and her personal and very public journey mourning this loss, Meghan will discuss grief as a common experience that touches all of us - regardless of political affiliation, public stature, or personal beliefs and values. As a co-host on the widely acclaimed daytime talk show, The View and to her more than 380K followers, Meghan has been on a self-proclaimed mission to “destigmatize grief”.

>Purchase Your Tickets Here

If you would like information on sponsorship opportunities or would like to make a donation to Good Shepherd Institute, please contact Colleen Cusack, ccusack@gscommunitycare.org or call (617) 969-6130

Earlier I was wondering if the person/people responsible for choosing Meghan as their featured attraction have actually seen her on The View, or if she was simply chosen based on her name and recent history, and they're assuming, based on the fact that she's on a major tv talk show, that she's well-spoken and capable of having an intelligent (and calm) discussion about grief.

This will be her first outing in her new venture, right?  So there are no reviews of past appearances to go by.

Edited by lusinia
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I found what those two price tiers get you - 

Good Shepherd Institute Dinner "Destigmatizing Grief": A Conversation with Meghan McCain

Date and Time

Wednesday Oct 30, 2019
5:30 PM - 9:00 PM EDT

Boston Marriott Quincy

1000 Marriott Drive Quincy  MA 02169

Fees/Admission

$100 Individual Ticket
$250 Leadership ticket (preferred seating & access to VIP Reception)

Do you think they were influenced by her having 380,000 followers on social media, which makes her seem popular?   

The short video advertising this says there will be a Q & A session.  Are people going to ask her personal questions..., or for advice?  It just seems like it could get awkward.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lusinia said:

Here's a link to their website - Good Shepherd Community Care.  Under the 'Programs/Services' heading the drop down menu lists hospice and palliative care separately, so that's why I listed them that way.

You are right, and more precise than I was.

Palliative care is comfort care and does not imply an end-of-life diagnosis. Palliative care is provided during hospice care, which (for insurance purposes) requires a last 6 months of life diagnosis. But patients are entitled to enroll in hospice multiple times. I knew patients who were in their third or fourth enrollment.

I'm sorry for providing bad information. 😞

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, suomi said:

I'm sorry for providing bad information. 😞

Oh, no, no, no, no, your information wasn't bad - I should have quoted or provided the link to the website to begin with.  All their categories and subcategories, while impressive, are confusing. 

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 1

I guess for Meghan her doing this for free would be taboo.

I would love whoever invited (hired) her to speak to explain why. Or was it an agency who represents people looking for speaking gigs that is responsible.  

There is an old joke about people wanting attention who would show up at an opening of an enevelope. That's Meghan. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
On 10/11/2019 at 5:50 PM, WonderWuman73 said:

Yep that’s pretty much the truth. At the live tapings I’ve been at, they pretty much ignore her. 

yes, well, you KNOW that's because she's a republican, right?  🙄

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Going to that Link For Good Shepherd, under "Programs and Services,"  is this: 

Grief and Bereavement services

Yes, Good Shepherd hospital,   like EVERY hospital I know of, has support groups for caregivers, support groups for people who are grieving, remembrance programs, workshops, etc.   Even a community resource library, with books about grief for both adults and children.  

So much for the "stigma" about this "taboo"  subject, huh?   

And again, if I were to go to a seminar on grief, I would want the speaker to be someone who has gone through it and come out stronger, or a therapist who has counseled various people and can talk about different approaches to grief.   NOT an entitled celebrity who believes that her loss surpasses all others.  

I get pissed off about Meghan because EVERY ADULT I know has gone through someone dying - a parent, child, relative, friend, neighbor.  My kids have gone through losing classmates to horrible accidents, one of those happened right in front of my son.  Grief is real, people talk about death and loss.  there are church groups, hospital groups, private therapy clinic groups, and online groups.  there are individual therapists who will help you heal.   There's no "stigma"  to grief, because we all grieve.  Most of us find ways to cope, we don't take on "grieving" as our mission in life. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

So much for the "stigma" about this "taboo"  subject, huh?   

Because Meghan is so open about her grief, in public, and probably privately, people long ago likely started acting uncomfortable, or avoided the subject when she bought it up, because there's only so much any one person can say.   

Meghan might have taken from this that there's a stigma about discussing grief, when it's really a stigma against her discussing her grief.  

• Love 18

Reading through comments (grief presentation) many people are counting on her for help. I think a disclaimer (“not a professional”) is needed.

As for the photo - someone thinks she looks like Stormy Daniels! lol I think it’s from her college yearbook!

*The photo is from an Elle Magazine article from 2013*

Edited by springtime
found source of photo
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 10/12/2019 at 11:32 PM, deirdra said:

The Eventbrite website provides contact information for those interested in sponsorships or donations, which suggests that the $100-250 is to keep MM & Mhubby flush with JD, cigars & bullets.

Wow, they must be going for a lifetime supply of Jack Daniels.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, falltime said:

I posted this not too long before you did, with good quotes and everything from the video, lol. My post is gone now for some reason but this video sums up what most of us were thinking when we watched Meghan talk about Hunter Biden this morning, lol. 

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Love 9

Meghan retweeted this - and mentioned @Whoopie, Sunny, Abby and Joy (in that order) , and NOT Ana! (and why the 3 American flag emojis?)

Edited by lusinia
  • LOL 3
11 hours ago, lusinia said:

Meghan retweeted this - and mentioned @Whoopie, Sunny, Abby and Joy (in that order) , and NOT Ana! (and why the 3 American flag emojis?)

Why flags anyways?  They are a daytime talk show. They aren't connected to the military. Or the government. Smiley faces would have been more appropriate.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:
14 hours ago, lusinia said:

Why flags anyways?  They are a daytime talk show. They aren't connected to the military. Or the government. Smiley faces would have been more appropriate.  

Those are the only emojis she's allowed to have on her phone.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

I's so galling that Meghan pretends that Ana is not a part of the show.  Of course if she did acknowledge that, she'd have to admit that a) Ana is popular in spite of being a conservative, and then b) she can't claim that the reason she (Meghan) is so disliked is because she's a conservative Republican. 

In her mind, if she's the only Republican, that must be why people dislike her. (And we know she doesn't consider Abby a Republican either.)

• Love 17
15 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She abuses the flag emoji 

That picture says so much more.  Was it taken 0a while back?  If not they should be shameful of omission. #AddAna..!

• Love 5
21 hours ago, lusinia said:

and why the 3 American flag emojis?

Because only in America could a show as poorly produced, researched and presented as The View get to number 3??

I think Meghan must be on some kind of patriotism autopilot. She's so weird.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, lusinia said:

I's so galling that Meghan pretends that Ana is not a part of the show.  Of course if she did acknowledge that, she'd have to admit that a) Ana is popular in spite of being a conservative, and then b) she can't claim that the reason she (Meghan) is so disliked is because she's a conservative Republican. 

In her mind, if she's the only Republican, that must be why people dislike her. (And we know she doesn't consider Abby a Republican either.)

Exactly, and she considers Sonny far left. She’s just oh so outnumbered at The View! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 10/17/2019 at 12:29 PM, lusinia said:

Of course if she did acknowledge that, she'd have to admit that a) Ana is popular in spite of being a conservative, and then b) she can't claim that the reason she (Meghan) is so disliked is because she's a conservative Republican. 

I think Ana has been a Republican all her voting life.  Meghan CANNOT say the same.

Didn't she register as a Republican in 2008 as a "gift" for her father who was running for President (again) as an (R)?

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 10/11/2019 at 5:54 PM, Lisa418722 said:

My father died from the same cancer in 2011. As awful as it sounds, I was praying for his death before the end because of his suffering. No, I didn't want him to die, but I didn't want him to live that way. I remember a coworker told me that was the most loving prayer I could say because I felt so guilty for praying for his death. 

I wanted to comment on this, sorry that it's from a couple of weeks ago.  When someone is dying, and you hope or pray for the end to come quickly, you are NOT wanting them to die.   they are already dying.  Sometimes dying is a process, not an abrupt end.  When their living is over, they begin dying.   You are praying for the END to their dying .

• Love 16
37 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I wanted to comment on this, sorry that it's from a couple of weeks ago.  When someone is dying, and you hope or pray for the end to come quickly, you are NOT wanting them to die.   they are already dying.  Sometimes dying is a process, not an abrupt end.  When their living is over, they begin dying.   You are praying for the END to their dying .

Thank you for that. 

• Love 5

ON 10/11/2019 AT 4:54 PM, LISA418722 SAID:

My father died from the same cancer in 2011. As awful as it sounds, I was praying for his death before the end because of his suffering. No, I didn't want him to die, but I didn't want him to live that way. I remember a coworker told me that was the most loving prayer I could say because I felt so guilty for praying for his death. 

Tinkerbell said.

I wanted to comment on this, sorry that it's from a couple of weeks ago.  When someone is dying, and you hope or pray for the end to come quickly, you are NOT wanting them to die.   they are already dying.  Sometimes dying is a process, not an abrupt end.  When their living is over, they begin dying.   You are praying for the END to their dying .--------

----------------------------------

Tinkerbell, Thank You for posting that. You put it beautifully.  It is such a heartwrenching position to be in and i feel for you Lisa.  Please dont feel guilty about your feelings.   You dont want your loved one to suffer.  Thats natural.  Again, I am so so sorry for your father.  I hope it all works out.  <---  (lame thing to say)

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Tammee said:

Tinkerbell, Thank You for posting that. You put it beautifully.  It is such a heartwrenching position to be in and i feel for you Lisa.  Please dont feel guilty about your feelings.   You dont want your loved one to suffer.  Thats natural.  Again, I am so so sorry for your father.  I hope it all works out.  <---  (lame thing to say)

Your comment brought back a memory.  A few weeks after my dad's funeral I returned to church and the minister's wife walked over to me and very brightly and cheerfully said "how's your dad doing?"  I just stared at her thinking she was asking about my mom. She said "well, he's been sick hasn't he?"  I just looked at her said he had died a few weeks earlier.  If I could go back in time, just as cheerfully as she said, I would have told her "he's doing GREAT now. He's no longer in any sort of pain."  She was definitely not a minister's wife material and I always had problems with her after that (there were other things and this didn't help).  At the time I was shocked, now I can laugh about it.  (yeah, sometimes I have a warped sense of humor). 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

Your comment brought back a memory.  A few weeks after my dad's funeral I returned to church and the minister's wife walked over to me and very brightly and cheerfully said "how's your dad doing?"  I just stared at her thinking she was asking about my mom. She said "well, he's been sick hasn't he?"  I just looked at her said he had died a few weeks earlier.  If I could go back in time, just as cheerfully as she said, I would have told her "he's doing GREAT now. He's no longer in any sort of pain."  She was definitely not a minister's wife material and I always had problems with her after that (there were other things and this didn't help).  At the time I was shocked, now I can laugh about it.  (yeah, sometimes I have a warped sense of humor). 

OMG that is SO BEYOND anything nice, or kind, or just being good..     why am i not surprised.  So dam rediculous!

Ok well it is kinda funny, and you have to give it to her for a great sense of humor.  Probably lightened the room as well.  Not so doom and gloom.  Coming from someone who cant help smiling and laughing at funerals.  Its horribly embarrassing.  Dont know why i do it, defensive maybe but not sure what about.  I know it really is a syndrome and some sort of cognitive therapy.  Anyway i digress.....and digress......and digress...

Edited by Tammee
Much much more
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I've had a snoot-full of the McCains ... don't need any more "information" or sugar-coating.

Couldn't resist "popping in" to see Miss Meggy.  Oh my GAWD, she was stuffed into a black dress with a zipper up the front ... looked like a reverse wet suit.  Terrible?  Cindy looked nice, as usual.

That's all I got because I didn't listen to what they were saying, even though I like Margaret Hoover because I covet her husband ... oh my!!!

• Love 2
On 10/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, lusinia said:

I was thinking the Holy Trinity, aka Daddy, Hubby, and herself

• Love 3

Quick question - Megzy said today that her father was born in Panama, which apparently is true. 

I thought you had to be born in the US to be elected president of the country.  Guess I am wrong?

• Love 1