Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: I'm Not a Baby!

• Start Topic

I taped this show and haven't watched it completely yet.  I caught a few minutes when the kids were in the grocery store and miracle of miracles!  Bill was making them put the additional pears back.  After reading all the comments above I think I will delete the show without watching it.  It is very frustrating to watch the kids pretty much ignoring both parents and both parents being pretty much clueless (with the exception of Bill in the grocery store) about how to keep the kids behaving.  They are  well educated and smart people but seriously lacking in common sense when it comes to disciplining their kids.  Their lives would be less stressful if they weren't making meaningless attempts at discipline and instead the kids knew to listen when mom and dad told them something.  It isn't fun to watch anymore and that makes me very sad.

Edited by abbey
spelling is important
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, abbey said:

They are  well educated and smart people but seriously lacking in common sense when it comes to disciplining their kids.

I agree, and it makes me kind of sad, too. Not everyone who is "book smart" has common sense, and vice versa. Some people are lucky enough to have both.

For instance, I've seen some posts on the show's FB page, and some people point out some things Bill & Jen are doing discipline-wise that are going to backfire. Their posts may be full of misspellings and bad grammar, but they are spot-on when it comes to common sense. Other posters attack them for their lack of writing style, which I think is pretty mean. There are a lot of different types of intelligence. 

I will admit that misspellings and bad grammar bug me, but I try not to just discount a person's view totally based just on that. 

• Love 11

Will is 7? Since the Arnolds are Catholic, a child received their First Holy Communion when they are 7 or 8 years old, usually in the 2nd grade. They have reached the age of reason and are aware of what 'is what'. I don't see that age of reason in Will at all yet and I highly doubt that he has matured enough to participate at this time. This tells me that he really does have delays and that he's just not in control of himself. His parents really do need to step up and try something else with him to get him up to speed. I don't think there is any biological intelligence issue with this little boy. I'm sure he has a normal brain and the potential for normal intelligence and proper behavior. His stature has nothing to do with it. I know he has had a difficult start in life back in China, but that was now some time ago for his short 7 years on Earth and children forget the past easily.

The time to take the reins is now, parents.

• Love 10

With all the criticizing most of us, myself included, are doing about Will's behavior, he goes and says something hilarious about dinner. Sitting in the kitchen while Jen is cooking : "This is going to be a disaster". 

I just can't figure him out. He comes out with some good ones, I must say. Then the next minute he's a brat again. 

• Love 15

I actually think they have waited too long to have conversations with the kids about dwarfism.  Not that they should have had long explanations, but from the time they arrived, Bill and Jen could have taken opportunities to point out that many people are taller, but they aren't.  No judgement, no anxiety, people are just different.  Much like some people are white, some people are black, some people have long hair, some people are bald.  If they are matter of fact about it, they can just answer the kids' questions as they arise.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

With all the criticizing most of us, myself included, are doing about Will's behavior, he goes and says something hilarious about dinner. Sitting in the kitchen while Jen is cooking : "This is going to be a disaster". 

I just can't figure him out. He comes out with some good ones, I must say. Then the next minute he's a brat again. 

That was an uncharacteristically mature statement for Will. I wouldn't have thought that he was capable of expressing himself so well.

He confuses me too. He seems so delayed and then he comes out with a very age appropriate statement like that. Who knows what's going on with him...

Edited by Libby
  • Love 5

Our kids always knew there was a crack on your but if I have to repeat myself...grandkids too....when we would take them into the store I told them and grandpa did that you stay by me if you don't I will leave you and your mom can come and get you............of course one of us had an eye on they challenged it......it worked

• Love 1

@floridamom, I wish it was as simple as kids forget easily. When your body has been deprived of nutrients there’s trauma. A child does not have an explicit but an implicit memory, and that is with them for life. The same with abandonment and other issues. Will certainly is a conundrum, one minute out of control, the next with an age appropriate zinger. I do wonder if Bill has said that around Will. 

On the episode where they were getting ready for school in the morning I noticed Zoey and Will left for school with only a lunch pail. Bill said Zoey is five and Will is six. When my daughter started kinder she was required to have a backpack. Then the kids mentioned saying grace before eating at school. They must be attending a Catholic private school. SIGH, I’m beginning to wonder if Will was at the preschool level at age six. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it would explain his behavior. The parents do not owe anyone and explanation, I was just making an observation. This is the problem with scripted reality TV, it’s not healthy for the family.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Will is 7? Since the Arnolds are Catholic, a child received their First Holy Communion when they are 7 or 8 years old, usually in the 2nd grade. They have reached the age of reason and are aware of what 'is what'. I don't see that age of reason in Will at all yet and I highly doubt that he has matured enough to participate at this time. This tells me that he really does have delays and that he's just not in control of himself. His parents really do need to step up and try something else with him to get him up to speed. I don't think there is any biological intelligence issue with this little boy. I'm sure he has a normal brain and the potential for normal intelligence and proper behavior. His stature has nothing to do with it. I know he has had a difficult start in life back in China, but that was now some time ago for his short 7 years on Earth and children forget the past easily.

The time to take the reins is now, parents.

Just watching Will in the Benihana segment when Jen's friend was in town demonstrates how preposterous it is that his difficult start in China was some time ago and children forget the past easily.  Will is always curious when something unusual is happening within his viewing, especially something active like the chef was doing while cooking at their table.  Will was interested, until he had food in front of him.  All of the other kids still couldn't take their eyes off the chef.  Will couldn't pull his focus from his spoon traveling from his bowl to his mouth, again and again.  When they visited the carnival-type area Will was on a mission, to get cotton candy, full stop.  He may not "remember" that early start in any conscious sense, however I don't think that difficult early start will ever be entirely wiped from his psyche.  That breaks my heart.  

Considering we know the parents take the children to regular speech therapy and make sure they get regular physical activity with an eye to keeping them healthy, I have no doubt there are many things being done to address the children's wellbeing and development in large and small ways that aren't presented on screen for various reasons.

5 minutes ago, Libby said:

That was an uncharacteristically mature statement for Will. I wouldn't have thought that he was capable of expressing himself so well.

He confuses me too. He seems so delayed and then he comes out with a very age appropriate statement like that. Who knows what's going on with him...

IMO Will's challenges aren't indicative of a lack of intelligence.  If you listen he tosses out a lot of comments you might hear walking through a classroom of kids his age, particularly the boys.  He directs a lot of comments at Zoey during the talking heads that clue me in he has a very definite grasp on the interests and what passes for humor among boys in early elementary school years, including his put downs, which she picks up and shoots right back at him.  I believe if they can get at the root of his communication issues it will hopefully cut down on the habitual screeching.  It may also slow his roll in regards to the manic racing around, allow him to absorb information and instructions quicker, allowing him to demonstrate his intelligence along with an appropriate maturity level and behavior.  That's my hope anyway.  I have a friend with a young son who was diagnosed with a speech and language delay who had been prone to horrible, awful fits and tantrums that were rarely understood because no one could understand his sparse attempts at communication.  He is the second of three boys and the only one who has behaved like this.  Once his speech therapy started to catch fire and produce results his behavior mellowed to the point you would swear he was a different kid. 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, SMama said:

This is the problem with scripted reality TV, it’s not healthy for the family.

We just got back from seeing an EXCELLENT movie - "Goodbye, Christopher Robin."  Part of the plot dealt with what fame did to the real life Christopher Robin, whose father (A. A. Milne) used him as a protagonist in his books about Winnie the Pooh.  This was before the days of the internet and television.  Even so, Christopher pretty much lost his entire sense of privacy and identity because people recognized him wherever he went.  And then there were the interviews, photo-ops, etc.  As I watched that, I thought - "Wow.  These poor kids on reality shows don't stand a chance."  

I will now envision Will and Zoe's classmates bullying them for all eternity because of their fame.  

Seriously, go see the movie.  

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Libby said:

I for one couldn’t understand what he said, it was only by closed captioning it was presented to us.  It was a knife in the heart for Jen when he went on to say how she was a disaster!

• Love 5
17 hours ago, keetmommy said:

You could see the pain that Bill still has from the bullying...it is heartbreaking

The family recently did an anti-bullying PSA, on behalf of TLC; Bill & Jen did the talking & we saw Will & Zoey in it, I think doing things with them. I don't know, but it might've been filmed at their new house in Florida (it was released, at least on YouTube, a couple of days after this season's premiere). I first found it Tweeted or retweeted to my Twitter feed a few days ago, then I lost track of the Tweet before I could post the link, & I had to search YouTube to find it again. Here it is.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I will now envision Will and Zoe's classmates bullying them for all eternity because of their fame.  

Yep, and Bill and Jen will automatically write any bullying off to the kids being little people.

They won't even consider that the kids are being bullied for other reasons.

Like last night, they didn't even consider for a second that he does act like a baby in karate class, which he does. They automatically thought he was called a baby because he was short.

• Love 20
10 minutes ago, Libby said:

Yep, and Bill and Jen will automatically write any bullying off to the kids being little people.

Like last night, they didn't even consider for a second that he does act like a baby in karate class, which he does. They automatically thought he was called a baby because he was short.

That bothered me until I realized that there's no way, particularly since they're on television, that someone isn't going to point that out to them, likely several someones.  If nothing else Jen's mom seems like she is not the type to suffer fools gladly.  She clearly adores her daughter and grandchildren.  I think if it comes to it she will tell Jen in no uncertain terms that it's not all about being a little person, rather to do with some of his behaviors. 

I'm not so sure Jen and Bill didn't realize the comment was about Will's behavior but chose to use it as a moment to address the bullying that little people face, particularly since it's something Bill really struggled with and having friends who wrote the book about it. 

• Love 7

Bill said that it bothered him that his kids would have to deal with people treating them like babies and that they wouldn't like it.

He should deal with this problem in his own family before he accuses other people of this error.

The one who I see treating the children inappropriately like babies, is Bill's stepmother. Bill never corrects her, and his children seem to love being treated like little babies when she does it.

• Love 5

The birthday meal was filmed LAST year for Bill, right? I had to keep reminding myself that this was still in the Texas house. I LOVED Bill in the grocery store with the 2 kids! I wonder if some of their ability to mind Bill was because they were in a public place and both of them are old enough to know how to behave. (even with cameras rolling) When they are in their own home, they have a tendency to "act" for the cameras. When Jen was by herself with the kids at home Bill was not there to remind them to MIND! They like Bill and respect him because he does let them goof off and have fun. Remember, Bill let them climb on those huge pumpkins and even took a picture with his phone. Jen would never do that! Also, Jen is smaller than Bill and I think the kids, especially Will, do not think of her as an authority figure?

Oh...the kitchen and Jen burning the sweet potatoes...possibly for something goofy to film? She read the box twice to see how to cook them! And the insane balancing act with the broccolini, surely producer driven! I did think they looked very "Halloweenish" as Bill said. I also think Bill has said that cooking and Jen will be a disaster and Will was just copying dad there. I wonder if Bill has lost any weight? This was a year ago and I think he even said those sweet potatoes were not on his "diet"?  I wonder if he's on Atkins? I know he tried to get a protein and starch and veggie at the store but at the table they had rice on their plates as a back up for the kids at least....oh and picky eater Jen!  :>)

• Love 4

Don't ignore your mom,  go give her a kiss goodbye." Don't make a huge deal about it, just make it clear it's not ok to disrespect and ignore mom like that

I have a problem with telling a child they have to hug/kiss/touch some one if they don't want to.   Yes, they should be expected to acknowledge that she's leaving and say "goodbye", but really, Jen, how meaningful is that kiss if you force him to do it?  And when does he learn that, sometimes he has to kiss or hug someone against his will, but other times he can say "no" to an adult?  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, abbey said:

" ... They are  well educated and smart people but seriously lacking in common sense when it comes to disciplining their kids.  ... "

The Kliens being well educated is one of the reasons I started watching the show. mainly b/c the shows entitled "little women of... {some city} " the cast seems to have must less education/career goals. I admire that both Kliens went onto do something positive and meaningful other than "twerking"...

Edited by sATL
clarified which shows I was using as a comparison
  • Love 9

I had to look up what twerking was. Matt and Amy Roloff don't twerk. They run a farm and raised 4 children. The Johnston's don't twerk. The are raising 5 children (3 adopted from foreign countries). Both of them work. I think that Bill and Jen would benefit greatly, by taking advice from the Johnston's. The Kleins are not in their league where parenting is concerned.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Libby said:

Goodness .. if Bill & Jen don't know by now that Will doesn't act his age, then when? Most importantly, do they have a plan to fix it? I think he's pushing seven - how long do you keep making excuses? Even hosting a simple play date with 1-2 others or talking to other parents about the report they get when they take their kids to xwy practice..I would think the other families in karate class would be getting a little annoyed, as they are paying good $$ to learn something and he is "overly" playing around

8 minutes ago, Libby said:

I had to look up what twerking was. Matt and Amy Roloff don't twerk. They run a farm and raised 4 children. The Johnston's don't twerk. The are raising 5 children (3 adopted from foreign countries). Both of them work. I think that Bill and Jen would benefit greatly, by taking advice from the Johnston's. The Kleins are not in their league where parenting is concerned.

made a correction.. I mean the Little Women Of ___  series in relation to twerking.  apologies for not being clear.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

Will wouldn’t kiss or hug Jen when leaving the house but when she continued to ask for a kiss or a hug he sharply said GOODBYE and had his back turned.  He was guilty of a bad attitude and should have received some type of discipline especially with everything else he got away with!  Jen andBill’s reaction to his goodbye was a shrug like it was the norm.  I expect it is and therein lies the problem.  This is normal in that house.

Will removes his thumb from his mouth when reminded but during the bedtime book reading Will continued to do it again without being reprimanded.  I think Jen is starved for affection from the kids, Zoey is seen rough housing with Bill and we have seen how Will treats her just in this episode but to put the icing on the cake Will shook her hand off and slid his body away to get away from her.  That must have hurt especially when all of this is filmed.    

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
Added more
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Speech and language pathology isn't merely about knowing the words to express yourself.  We know from Will's session with his speech pathologist that one of the main things they are working on is his difficulty in stringing his sentences together properly.  He knows the words, but getting them to come out is a challenge.    His scream in this episode when Jen simply walked in the room really drove home the point that the behavior isn't rooted in a lack of discipline.  I think we may be seeing a kid with auditory and sensory processing disorders in addition to other issues that may not be all clearly diagnosed yet, let alone something his parents feel should be shared with the audience.  

I'm not sure about  sensory issues he doesn't seem to have the issue with over stimulation or loud noises you see in kids with those types of issues.(Colin does a lot of this in the early seasons of Jon and Kate)  I wonder if its a language processing issue which given his history wouldn't be unexpected. Both the language switch and inner ear issues could contribute to something like that. The way he was frustrated when Jen asked him to spell Dad but was fine when Jen was telling how reminded me of kids with things like dyslexia. It might be part of the discipline issues as well,. It does seem like a lot of the time Will isn't willfully ignoring his parents he's just wrapped up in what he's doing and doesn't seem to process what they are saying. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Another I think is that Jen and Bill are far to concerned that their kids are happy.  It may be because of their own childhoods.  But at some point everyone experiences some form of pain and they shouldn't be shielded from it.  They need to learn how to handle disappointment.  I think they especially want Will and Zoey to have the pain free childhoods they never had and that is not going to prepare them for the future.  As in everything, I may be wrong.

Agreed. I've heard them both state multiple times that basically, as long as their kids are happy, that's all that matters. But it isn't all that matters, for exactly the reasons you stated. 

I'm sure Bill & Jen have the best of intentions (if I didn't think that, I probably wouldn't be watching the show anymore) but IMO they need to keep sight of the kids' long term happiness as well as their "in the moment" happiness. Sometimes you have to dole out some discipline, and that makes the child unhappy in the moment...but if you don't, then unacceptable behaviors do not stop, and the long term consequences are real life disappointments, like other children not wanting to be your friend because of the way you act. And maybe other parents not wanting to have your child over for a play date because of the way they act. Or perhaps even someone calling you a baby at karate because of the way you act. 

Further into the future, the consequences of allowing bad behavior get even worse. 

I hope, as someone else mentioned, that Bill & Jen do realize, at least on some level, that the child who called Will a baby at karate may not be due solely to his stature. If was definitely wrong of this other child to call Will a name. Not cool. But sometimes that can be a wake-up call that you might need to address some things.

• Love 17

I wholeheartedly believe the episode in preparing to leave for school was not an actual school morning, but just a re-enactment..perhaps done on a weekend. No way cameras could have or should have been there on an actual morning having to leave for school. The 'lack of a back pack' comment up thread convinced me of that. These TV shows are not reality at all, just their names are real. The events are all staged, blocked and rehearsed.,.oh, and scripted for the most part.

• Love 9

Some of the behavior could be due to the problems of filming.  They have to wait while the lighting and all gets set up and then do the prescribed activity possibly multiple times.  They are fed lines and have to keep their clothes clean and the same in case of retakes.  Some kids take to becoming "performing monkeys" and others do not.  I don't think all the issues we see are due to filming, but I do think filming is detrimental to the children for the above reasons plus the issues with so many people seeing the footage.  They have filmed more real events that were still crafted for the show than some other families.  That they were real events doesn't mean they weren't stage managed or even re-enacted.  From the Gosselins and the reason Kate wigged out about the clothes on an episode was the "leaving for the day" was actually filmed on the third day that it took to film their "one day" at a special place.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

I wholeheartedly believe the episode in preparing to leave for school was not an actual school morning, but just a re-enactment..perhaps done on a weekend. No way cameras could have or should have been there on an actual morning having to leave for school. The 'lack of a back pack' comment up thread convinced me of that. These TV shows are not reality at all, just their names are real. The events are all staged, blocked and rehearsed.,.oh, and scripted for the most part.

That would also explain why the kids had zero motivation to go through their normal weekday routine. Over on the Teen Mom thread we noticed something similar. One of the moms was dropping her kid off for his "first" day of school, yet there was no line of cars, no activity on the front lawn of the school and no other kids in sight. It was totally filmed on a weekend, so I could definitely believe they did that with Will and Zoe.

• Love 2

One can almost imagine a scenario where Bill has taken Zoey and Will to the store and - as filmed there - insisted that they hold the cart on the way out of the store.  Done deal.

Then they get home and are filming a different scene during which Will is not obeying, and Jen says (because she's an adult and understandings filming out of sequence), "If you don't do that, you are not going to the store with Dad."  Will - who knows he has already gone to the store - says, "Yes, I am."

Could have happened.  But he still needs to be reined in while they're participating in activities when out in public.  

• Love 8

Will totally ignores Jen and he makes it obvious that he is ignoring her.  The kid is becoming unlikeable and he used to be  quite adorable.  

1 hour ago, XrystalPond said:

The screaming and nonverbal reactions are pretty natural with children who have communication disorders or challenges. That is a good time for Bill or Jen to talk to Will. "I can hear you're excited to see...., how would be another way to express that?"

I get that. But at one point in the episode he wasn’t reacting to anything, he was just screaming.

• Love 10

I had a nephew who would scream at the top of his lungs for no apparent reason.  He didn't have any communication issues, he was just a screamer (ages about 4-6).  His parents said there was nothing they could do, but when he was at my house I told him quite definitely that he could not scream like that and if he continued to do it he would not be allowed to come back.  (I had a pool and it was summer, so he really wanted to come back.)  I told him the neighbors and I didn't want to hear it.  His parents were amazed that he stopped screaming.

I wonder if the kid at karate said that Will was acting like a baby.  I'd love to know what the exact words were.  Will, of course, would hear that as being called a baby, which is understandable.  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Absolom said:

Some of the behavior could be due to the problems of filming.  They have to wait while the lighting and all gets set up and then do the prescribed activity possibly multiple times.  They are fed lines and have to keep their clothes clean and the same in case of retakes.  Some kids take to becoming "performing monkeys" and others do not.  I don't think all the issues we see are due to filming, but I do think filming is detrimental to the children for the above reasons plus the issues with so many people seeing the footage.  They have filmed more real events that were still crafted for the show than some other families.  That they were real events doesn't mean they weren't stage managed or even re-enacted.  From the Gosselins and the reason Kate wigged out about the clothes on an episode was the "leaving for the day" was actually filmed on the third day that it took to film their "one day" at a special place.  

The Arnold-Kleins are obviously wealthy people. I ask myself, why would they subject their family, especially their children, to this imposition.

The only reason that I could think of is Bill. I think that he wants to feel like he contributes to the family income, loves the fame, and feels like he is a comedian.

I honestly don't believe that the show is important to Jen at all. She gets her affirmation from her successful career.

I think that Bill is important to Jen and that's why she tolerates the imposition of the TV show.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 12
22 hours ago, Libby said:

I feel like we've seen a tiny bit of twerking from the johnston family......

6 hours ago, Absolom said:

Some of the behavior could be due to the problems of filming. 

I think they just also get really excited and hyper on filming days.  You can tell they get really excited when guests are over. If something interrupts their normal schedule it kinda throws them for a loop and they get excited, hyperactive and tend to not listen because they're too into the people who are around them. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, floridamom said:

I totally agree with this.  If it were a true representation of their lives there would just be cameras rolling. It always appears that things have "set ups", etc. and probably multiple "takes" which is why they come off well, just a little bit off.  We are not watching documentaries.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Absolom said:

Wow. This sounds miserable to me. I can't imagine living like this - and how confusing it would be for a child.

I especially can't imagine why anyone would want to live like this when they don't need the money.

On the clothing thing - some people on the show's FB page are still obsessed with "why was Zoey's dress changed after she left the orphanage, she was in a different outfit when they brought her into the hotel room to meet Will". (To me, I was like "who cares" but Bill & Jen did explain on a Q & A episode that when they got to the hotel, Zoey needed a diaper change, and they changed her dress at the same time, before taking her up to the room, so they did explain it.) Anyway, people spread some interesting fabrications. One said that in India, when you pick up your child, you are not allowed to take the clothes. (I thought okay, you're misinformed and shouldn't be answering the question, Bill & Jen already explained this). But then, the same person said that Bill & Jen adopted Zoey "because Will wasn't working out"! That's more than misinformed - that's a bald faced lie. Anyone with any sense at all should be able to realize that these two kids were adopted about 6-7 months apart. There's no possible way they had Will home for a month or two, thought "this kid isn't working out" and made an international adoption of Zoey go through in a matter of months.

Not to mention, what a terrible thing to say about a child - and his parents. 

These kind of awful comments, and the filming scenarios described in the quote, really make me wonder why anyone would want to be on a reality show unless they desperately needed the money.

5 hours ago, Libby said:

The Arnold-Kleins are obviously wealthy people. I ask myself, why would they subject their family, especially their children, to this imposition.

The only reason that I could think of is Bill. I think that he wants to feel like he contributes to the family income, loves the fame, and feels like he is a comedian.

I agree...of course, we can only speculate, but this seems to be the most likely reason to me as well. Jen seems kind of "over it" when it comes to the show, IMO.

Edited by Sasha888
changed your to you're because grammar is important!
  • Love 10

Jen also appears to be a bundle of nerves on camera and Bill is cool as a cucumber.  Nothing seems to bother him while she uses too many words to say the simplest thing.  She is Miss Perfection and it must irk her to have her designer house presented weekly being anything less than perfect.  

• Love 8

I agree Jen is over it and part of me wonders if it isn't because the show makes her look like an incompetent parent. She's a superstar in her professional and public life, but she clearly struggles at home. I don't think TLC is deliberately giving her a bad edit, but more along the lines of what everyone else has said: the kids are hyperactive when the cameras are around and she's just can't get them in line. I think the kids love her, but they don't respect her, and if that were me I'd feel pretty crappy having that broadcasted to millions on a weekly basis. 

Given that LP's are prone to lifelong medical issues, I wouldn't be surprised if Jen's motivation is to strike while the iron's hot and stack the money in case the day ever comes where she can't work, but the Bill theory is very plausible as well. He has the pet store, but aside from popping his head in now and again, it doesn't seem like he's particularly hands-on.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Jen also appears to be a bundle of nerves on camera and Bill is cool as a cucumber.  Nothing seems to bother him while she uses too many words to say the simplest thing.

25 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I agree Jen is over it and part of me wonders if it isn't because the show makes her look like an incompetent parent. She's a superstar in her professional and public life, but she clearly struggles at home. I don't think TLC is deliberately giving her a bad edit, but more along the lines of what everyone else has said: the kids are hyperactive when the cameras are around and she's just can't get them in line.

YES to both of these quotes! I also think she seems nervous, and probably doesn't appreciate that the show makes her look like an ineffective parent. (Not that I think the show could make her look better, because IMO, she is kind of ineffective as a parent). 

What I'm wondering now (and maybe somebody with some knowledge can jump in here and let me know) is how much control do Bill & Jen have over what is shown. They are listed as some kind of producer on the show, but I have no clue how much power that title carries.

If it were me, I'd be pretty upset that footage of my children misbehaving and my inability to do much about it was being shown. Of course, there's also the possibility that there's footage of even WORSE behavior that we aren't being shown, so maybe Bill & Jen do have a little control? Maybe they are backed into a corner sometimes - for instance "either we show this full-on temper tantrum, or the footage where the kids are talking back to you" - and they have to choose the lesser of two evils.

• Love 6
On 11/8/2017 at 7:47 AM, ginger90 said:

Ending a direction given to a child with, “ok?”, kills it for me.

I taught 10th grade Eng last year & my "co-teacher" ( SpEd teacher to work with the GenEd teachers to follow the inclusion model) ended every single sentence with "ok?"

It was the worst year of teaching because this nimrod ruined all effective classroom management techniques the second he "asked for permission from 35 10th graders." It was like he "undid" all of the expectations I had as the primary teacher and while a majority of the kids saw through him, there were many who really liked him.

I had never met him before, but on day 2 of the school year, I casually asked how old his toddler was. She was 3 yrs old. Score one for my intuition!!! 

It was worse than nails on a chalkboard. He literally was a 6'2" version of Bill. He made me look like the bad/mean teacher while he worked really hard to get the kids to like him. He couldn't teach them about literature or explain what a refutation was, but he wanted to talk about video games with them. IN CLASS.

I even asked my principal if I could be excused from having him in the room because I have my SpEd credential as well. However, I was forced to work with this moron the whole year. I know being married and being colleagues are not the same thing, but my heart went out to his wife!

That said, Jen needs to use short and simple sentences, have kids repeat directions back to her to confirm expectations, she remains silent for the kiddos to process what she said and be OK with being quiet/silent while the kids complete tasks. 

I'm shocked she hasn't learned about the magic of music. Press "play" on source of music (phone, tablet) and make a game out of it. The kids put their toys away before song ends. Most kids should be psyched to participate since it doesn't seem like "a chore" and competing for something will motivate them to really listen to instructions and take responsibility for their things. Will and Zoey's reward (whoever "wins"), along with verbal positive reinforcement, can range from choosing the next song for chore time/getting socks & shoes on in the AM to choosing a movie to watch. The options are endless. 

Edited by Bridget
spelling counts
  • Love 8

I watched the episode yesterday and during the swimming lessons I was quite surprised at how Will listens to and respects the swimming teacher. He was focused, listened right away to his commands when Will was diving in or swimming. The cameras were there filming. It shows me that he CAN behave, listen and remain focused. Will and Zoe, (to a degree) don't respect their parents. They respect the swimming teacher.

No excuse now IMO, for his bad behavior. Bill and Jen need to be the ones respected FIRST.

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I watched the episode yesterday and during the swimming lessons I was quite surprised at how Will listens to and respects the swimming teacher. He was focused, listened right away to his commands when Will was diving in or swimming. The cameras were there filming. It shows me that he CAN behave, listen and remain focused. Will and Zoe, (to a degree) don't respect their parents. They respect the swimming teacher.

No excuse now IMO, for his bad behavior. Bill and Jen need to be the ones respected FIRST.

Anyone think that Will has a preference for males in terms of bonding, complying with rules or expectations? I know his karate teacher is a male, so there IS an exception at times, but it just struck me when I read your post. 

Also, when Bill says key words like "thumb" to remind Will to not suck his thumb, that's a great technique. Short, sweet, simple and to the point. If only that translated into other parts of Will's day. For example: Bill can say "respect" when he and Will are leaving the house. That can be a clue to remind Will to say goodbye to Jen and not treat her like a piece of garbage like he does on a regular basis. It just baffles me. I do NOT get it...as I'm sure many of us here can agree.

I truly wonder how much time Bill and Jen sit down and talk about about how they want to raise the kids, talk about their struggles and support each other. I know we don't see everything, but we're also smart enough to know that if Will acts up during XYZ, it's because he's been allowed to act that way.

Lastly, someone mentioned that the kids go nuts when they have visitors. It made me wonder if or why they don't have playdates with other kids from their school. I know not every parent wants their kid's face on TV, but surely there have to be some peers, such as the kids who have attended birthday parties, whose parents would be OK with filming during a play date? Regular interaction with peers, their parents and other people that one encounters in life would seem like a great way to eliminate the "new and shiny" effect that causes the kids to run around like wee banshees.

Edited by Bridget
Bridget
  • Love 7
On 11/8/2017 at 9:12 PM, Absolom said:

Ratings:  1.193 M viewers and a .22 rating.  

What does this translate into?  As compared to other TLC shows like The Seven Little Johnsons, which makes me smile and always makes me feel good after watching. Sorry, that I've had to take The Little Couple, which used to be one of my favorite shows, off my viewing schedule.  (Due to frustration about the kids. Totally, the parent's responsibility  to address the children properly..  I'm boycotting until they do so.)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

I don't track The Seven Little Johnsons as I can't tolerate that show.  The viewership is fairly in the middle for a TLC show that has been on as long as The Little Couple.  The ratings are similar to the Duggar non-wedding shows except The Little Couple skews a bit older. 

• Love 2

One of the things I noticed was that all Bill had to say was "thumb" and Will took his thumb out of his mouth.  Obviously, it's something they've been working on.  I have a feeling that Jen would have spent several minutes explaining to Will that he shouldn't suck his thumb and why it isn't a good idea etc. etc. etc.  And he would have just tuned out.  She way over explains things to the kids.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I don't track The Seven Little Johnsons as I can't tolerate that show.  The viewership is fairly in the middle for a TLC show that has been on as long as The Little Couple.  The ratings are similar to the Duggar non-wedding shows except The Little Couple skews a bit older. 

With all due respect, may I ask what it is that you don't like about 7 Little Johnstons? 

I recorded their first season over the last few weeks (I missed it the first time it was shown) and was reminded that both Anna & Emma came home at the age of 4 1/2 years old from Russia & China, respectively. Talk about having to overcome years in an orphanage, learning English, possible behavior patterns and adjusting to a new and established family! Yes, Anna has given them some headaches, but watching that family makes me laugh out loud on so many occasions.

To see how all of the kids, biological or adopted, behave and interact with the family speaks volumes to me about Trent and Amber 's parenting style, except for Alex. Not a fan.

My eyes also welled up a wee bit when Amber was speaking in her TH about the people who say to them "you did such a wonderful thing for the kids you adopted." Her reply was " no, they did a wonderful thing for us. "

• Love 8
1 hour ago, camom said:

One of the things I noticed was that all Bill had to say was "thumb" and Will took his thumb out of his mouth.  Obviously, it's something they've been working on.  I have a feeling that Jen would have spent several minutes explaining to Will that he shouldn't suck his thumb and why it isn't a good idea etc. etc. etc.  And he would have just tuned out.  She way over explains things to the kids.

LOLOL. Jen was on Will about his thumb before they left China!!!!  She didn’t over explain it there obviously but you knew it was in Will’s future....his permanent teeth are being altered already although as a little person braces are likely.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Bridget said:

With all due respect, may I ask what it is that you don't like about 7 Little Johnstons? 

I recorded their first season over the last few weeks (I missed it the first time it was shown) and was reminded that both Anna & Emma came home at the age of 4 1/2 years old from Russia & China, respectively. Talk about having to overcome years in an orphanage, learning English, possible behavior patterns and adjusting to a new and established family! Yes, Anna has given them some headaches, but watching that family makes me laugh out loud on so many occasions.

To see how all of the kids, biological or adopted, behave and interact with the family speaks volumes to me about Trent and Amber 's parenting style, except for Alex. Not a fan.

My eyes also welled up a wee bit when Amber was speaking in her TH about the people who say to them "you did such a wonderful thing for the kids you adopted." Her reply was " no, they did a wonderful thing for us. "

ME TOO!  I became a quick fan, however, after watching them, I really have no patience for Bill and Jen anymore.  To me, it's a better show and the their handling of the kids and how they adapt as little people is just much more enjoyable than The Little Couple as it airs today 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bridget said:

I understand and appreciate the interest, but it isn't something I want to discuss here.  :) 

• Love 1