Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four Episode Talk

It's too bad that they didn't do a surprise double elimination last week. Both Paulo and Andra were equally bad.  Paulo was so arrogant about his sweet potato hand pie and Andra with her po-T de creme'. (I know it was supposed to be some kind of spoof of her making the dessert on the stovetop but .... ) Actually, I loved Lorraine's snippy, "Faux de creme."

Seriously, any culinary professional who says "mars-ca-pone" really shouldn't be representing the profession on national TV.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, grisgris said:

Seriously, any culinary professional who says "mars-ca-pone" really shouldn't be representing the profession on national TV.

a huge pet peeve of mine. LOOK AT THE SPELLING!

• Love 6
On 11/15/2017 at 4:22 PM, Barb1959 said:

I just love it when Lorraine rolls her eyes at something Nancy says!  Nancy gets on my last nerve.....

Lorraine gets on my last nerve. Her Giada sized bites irk me.

Can’t believe Andra survived again.

• Love 9

I can't imagine that adding sweet potato to a dessert that already may have had conflicting flavors improved any of them.  At best, it probably added some weird, mushy, what-is-that taste.   Chocolate-mint blondies sound yucky enough without adding sweet potato.

I wish they had more requirements on what to make, rather than just "make a dessert."  I'd rather they have to make a specific type of baked good, like a bread wreath or pie or pastry.   I remember one season of this show where they had to make a decorated wreath of cake(?) and the results were amazing.  Nothing last night wowed me at all.  They seem to fall back on tartlets because they are adaptable to pretty much any ingredient, but it's getting boring.

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

I can't imagine that adding sweet potato to a dessert that already may have had conflicting flavors improved any of them.  At best, it probably added some weird, mushy, what-is-that taste.   Chocolate-mint blondies sound yucky enough without adding sweet potato.

I’m ready for the host to just start saying, “And this week you will be ruining your dessert with... (insert ingredient)!”

It’s too bad they don’t at least have the option of using the twist ingredient in a way other than taste. Like to make it more moist, or rich, or whatever. Instead of trying to come up with a way to combine mint and sweet potato flavors. Gross. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Blueberries and chocolate just do not go together

I thought the same thing...disgusting.  I wonder if she could have opted for white chocolate instead?  Or would she get dinged for not following the instructions?  I know they probably intended for the bakers to go for milk/dark chocolate,but it could be seen as "creative" by not going with what was expected. Personally I don't love white chocolate, but it sure would have been more visually appealing.  Then again, Andra hasn't impressed me (or the judges) with her desserts or her plating, so who knows what would have happened. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Blueberries and chocolate just do not go together.  I felt sorry for Andra.

I must disagree. Dove makes a blueberry juice infused cranberry covered in dark chocolate - fantastic.

MASK AR PONY, ffs.  Drives me batty.

• Love 4

IMO, Andra actually lives on the bottom few. She has been making so many dishes thinking that she improved her progress, but still she has poor quality and skills; she keeps eliminating her fellow bottomers. Aristo was my favorite because I love traveling! But now I have no idea who to root for.

• Love 2

Andras dish looked like vomit in a jar.  Sorry, it is what I saw.  Then again, I thought the blueberry cobbler and chocolate mousse could've made an interesting dessert but when the sweet potatoes were added?  Nope, no way.  BTW, am I the only person sick to death of "mashups". What an absurd concept.  Make a good dish, not some Dr. Frankenstein crap.

God love her, she is just trying to stay afloat.  She is out of her league here, as I would be.  I make some yummy things for friend and family but I can't plate for crap.  My stuff is tasty but looks pretty homemade.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I just can't get into this year's HBC. Maybe I'll feel differently if I watch a few episodes in a row in the future. Something seems off about this season though.

I think it's an overall lowering of expectations and indistinguishable challenges. 

• Love 6

Andra should have been sent home weeks ago.  I don't know how she is still there.  Her dish looked awful and doesn't sound like it tasted that good.  It didn't look like there was any creativity either.  At least the other contestant did something. 

• Love 9

There's a bakery near me that does a magical creme brule cake.  It's layers of cake and custard with a brule'd top.  That's the first thing I thought of, and Aristo's cake was soooo not that.  It looked like a hot mess, reminiscent of the first dessert he made.  And really Andra needs to be gone next.  Still rooting for Josh, Stephany still rubs me the wrong way.  If it's not already, I'm pretty sure S'Mapples are going to make it onto Josh's restaurant's menu.  And I want one.

Onward to the next ridiculous challenge!

• Love 2
On 11/21/2017 at 8:57 AM, backgroundnoise said:

I wish they had more requirements on what to make, rather than just "make a dessert."  I'd rather they have to make a specific type of baked good, like a bread wreath or pie or pastry.   I remember one season of this show where they had to make a decorated wreath of cake(?) and the results were amazing.  Nothing last night wowed me at all.  They seem to fall back on tartlets because they are adaptable to pretty much any ingredient, but it's getting boring.

Yes. This season is so boring. Josh is the only one that I look forward to seeing what he'll come up with. 

On 11/21/2017 at 9:54 AM, Maya said:

I’m ready for the host to just start saying, “And this week you will be ruining your dessert with... (insert ingredient)!”

Rant time: I HATE the stupid twists. It's just not professional to throw some random ingredient at the contestants after they've already planned their dish.  Then they get dinged if the judges can't taste whatever stupid thing it is or if it doesn't "go with" what they've made. It's not fun to watch and needs to stop. 

• Love 19

I am sorry that Aristo got sent home because he is local for me. I also agree that Andra should have been sent packing about two weeks earlier. I don't even understand how she made the cut to get on the show in the first place.

I think that several elements are lacking this year. First of all, I just can't warm up to the new host. Bobby Dean wasn't that much better but he seemed to be able to develop better rapport with the judges and contestants. Actually, Jason Smith would be a great host for this show. He has been on both sides of the table and has an affable enough personality to carry the show. As we've seen, he's been able to dial the folks-isms way back and plus he has the wardrobe for it. LOL!

Secondly, the focus seems to be on "What curve ball can we throw in to f-up the contestants" as opposed to actually focusing on -- you know -- the holidays!

Lastly, this year's talent pool just screams of mediocrity.  I am getting grossed out by having to look at Amy's boobs/cleavage every week.  I appreciate that it is probably stifling hot in the kitchen with the appliances and lighting, but even a short-sleeved cotton t-shirt with a modest v-neck would be an improvement and still keep her comfortable.

I honestly don't care who wins. I'd be happy with Stefany, the woman from LaCrosse or Joshua. However, the millennial bakers always seem to breeze through with flying colors then still end up losing for some nit-picky out of left field reason.

• Love 6
On 11/25/2017 at 9:13 AM, festivus said:

Yes. This season is so boring. Josh is the only one that I look forward to seeing what he'll come up with. 

Rant time: I HATE the stupid twists. It's just not professional to throw some random ingredient at the contestants after they've already planned their dish.  Then they get dinged if the judges can't taste whatever stupid thing it is or if it doesn't "go with" what they've made. It's not fun to watch and needs to stop. 

For me the problem with the "add an ingredient twist" vs. making it challenging by specifying a holiday dessert I.e. Make a holiday wreath is that the secret ingredient winds up being about taste or texture the two things I can't experience. Twists on the visual display let me participate more in the show and feel able to judge along. 

• Love 2

I so agree with you who hate the added surprise ingredient twist. I would rather have no twist or something like, you must have one fondant element or you must pipe a design or something related to presentation. I am pretty sure that none of those judges could hit it out of the park if some last minute, unrelated ingredient were added to their dish.

• Love 7

If there was a drinking game in which we took a shot every time we got a look down Amy’s cleavage, we would be sloshed midway through the show.

Andra is finally put out of her misery. 

Say “certified master baker” a few times really fast!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Andra is finally put out of her misery. 

LittleIggy, I think there's a typo in this statement...did you mean "put out of OUR misery"?  Thank goodness she is finally out.  I don't think anything she made looked good.  Maybe if she were allowed to just bake from her repertoire of steadfast winning recipes, she could have shined more.  But this stupid competition has to add the "look how cuckoo crazy banana pants we are!" "twist" to every challenge. Annoying.  

I know Aristo went last week, but I'm still amazed he was a hotel head chef (or whatever his title was).  Yikes.  Everything he presented looked like it came out of a little kids' baking workshop.  He must have some talent if he was picked to be there, so maybe he falls into the same category as Andra...if allowed to show their best skills without the "hilarious" hi-jinks, he could have been more impressive?

Josh, Stefany and Jennifer for final 3 is my prediction.

• Love 3

That's my top three as well.

I'll give some of these folks a pass about the looks of their finished products because they're really not looking for the "best" baker. They're looking for the baker who can think on their feet and slap out something fast. Useful in some situations but not a credential I'd seek if hiring someone to make, say, a wedding cake or a gingerbread house.

• Love 6

Ian's crepes with the cake mix was an excellent idea. I am shocked he does that at home with his daughter. Why not Bisquick?  And why did he mention it?  It would have been more impressive had it looked like he made it on the fly. 

I don't bake or eat a lot of sweets but I watch as I await Top Chef.

As far as personalities go I am rooting for Josh.  

• Love 3

This show is what it is....a game show, so I'm not expecting much, but come on...Andra was horrid.  If I had to hear her mispronounce one more simple baking item I swear my ears would start to bleed.

This go round at least there are some dishes that I'd really like to try, namely Josh and Jennifer's creations.  Stefany is pretty decent too.  I was afraid they were going to try and turn Jennifer into the "head elf" character but she's actually fun to watch and seems like a really nice person, not someone who just plays one on TV.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Qoass said:

they're really not looking for the "best" baker.

This has been evident all season, but last night was especially egregious.  "Andra, your pastry dough crust is completely RAW.  But it tastes good.  Nice job!"   Grr.  It doesn't help that I'm just done with a couple of rerun seasons of The Great British Baking Show on PBS, where they actually care about baking.  Taking already-made philo dough and just cutting cookies out it without a word from the judges?

Not much creativity last night.   One of the few that I thought actually did the brief was the guy who had coconut cream pie and added eggnog.  But he got dinged because it didn't look Christmassy enough.  The ones that just added a tree shaped cookie to the same basic dessert they were given were especially sad.

Really disappointing.

• Love 4

I really like Josh, Stephany and Jennifer. I'm sure Andra is a very nice person but she was really out of her league and I am a bit surprised she was selected for the competition. I thought Nancy looked pretty. Her make up was very well done.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, susannot said:

I love cream cheese icing.  Go, Josh.  He is adorable and a very talented young baker.

I already have plans to have dinner at his Cambridge restaurant next month when I visit my daughter :)

• Love 3

So andra goes out, finally, but on a dessert that just wasn’t holiday enough?  I’m glad she’s gone but I think that’s crap.  She should have been out for her abomination last week.

bananas and cherries?  Ewww.  Only thing I can see with those two together is a banana split, and the cherry is only on the top.  And her concoction on the stove with the cherry purée and banana slime, yuck.  

Are the judges just taste blind now or are the contestants just not really using enough ginger?  They’ve been complaining about the lack of spice all season.  At this point, I thought the bakers would be blowing them over with spices instead of not adding enough.  I don’t think fresh ginger works well in baked goods, I’d be using powered or candied so the judges could finally taste it.

• Love 4

I must confess it would be a dream to cook in that studio with all that space and huge containers of so many expensive ingredients! As someone who uses the imitation vanilla extract I can buy for a dollar, I drooled at that big jar full of vanilla beans.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

I must confess it would be a dream to cook in that studio with all that space and huge containers of so many expensive ingredients! As someone who uses the imitation vanilla extract I can buy for a dollar, I drooled at that big jar full of vanilla beans.

Have you thought about making your own vanilla  extract?

• Love 1

I never even considered making vanilla extract, so I ran off and looked at the particulars.  Grade B vanilla beans are used for extract and Amazon has 10 for sale for $34 which according to the recipes I found, would make 1 1/2 cups of vanilla extract, which is 12 ounces, for a price of about $2.83 per ounce (plus the cost of 1.5  cups of vodka).  So, more expensive than the imitation but a lot cheaper than buying it in the store!

Now I want to make some myself!  Although it would take a long, long time for me to use up 1 1/2 cups of vanilla extract!

• Love 3

My neighbors, sister and I chip in together and get a bottle of the awesome vanilla extract at the local Hispanic market. Then we just each fill up a bottle. Boy, that stuff is good. It takes me forever to use it all so I don't remember what my share costs. 

• Love 2

Now that I've confessed to using the artificial stuff, I will further confess that in cases when I've had the real stuff I couldn't really tell the difference.

I'll show myself out now to the pantry of margarine and Cool Whip...

Not really. I have some standards!

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

Now that I've confessed to using the artificial stuff, I will further confess that in cases when I've had the real stuff I couldn't really tell the difference.

I'll show myself out now to the pantry of margarine and Cool Whip...

Not really. I have some standards!

Ain’t nuttin’ wrong with cool whip!  ?

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Qoass said:

Vanilla extract is made with vanilla beans. At about $7 each plus the cost of booze, I really don't find that cost efficient.

I guess the cost of the beans can vary. I think I bought  mine at Kroger ,  a little bag with 2 in it was I think $3.00, and I just bought  a pint of cheap  vodka . It did not seem to be that expensive . 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I guess the cost of the beans can vary. I think I bought  mine at Kroger ,  a little bag with 2 in it was I think $3.00, and I just bought  a pint of cheap  vodka . It did not seem to be that expensive . 

That is a fantastic deal on vanilla beans.

• Love 2