Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four Episode Talk

Yay!!! It's back :)

I thought the desserts were pretty good this time (I say that coming off of the Halloween Championship where I thought they weren't that great)

All the bakers looked good, no over the top "caricatures" like there have been in the past.

• Love 3

I might be mistaken, but I thought I heard them imply that Aveed hadn't tasted rum or any alcohol because of her age. I certainly heard Duff inquire about her age. Surely it was because she was a Muslim?

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, TimetoShine said:

Nancy's only comment is Christmas, not Christmas, Christmas, not Christmas.

Which is so irritating because not everyone celebrates Christmas in the same fashion. We're not all from New England and have hot toddies by the fire. 

24 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I might be mistaken, but I thought I heard them imply that Aveed hadn't tasted rum or any alcohol because of her age. I certainly heard Duff inquire about her age. Surely it was because she was a Muslim?

She stated she had never had any alcohol, and that she also said she had just turned 20. She didn't address religion at all. 

I can't decide if I'm glad to see Amy back or not. I was glad she mentioned she had been on the Halloween Baking Show and left due to her pregnancy. Based on her issue with the candy canes, I thought I wasn't going to like Stephanie but maybe I will. 

• Love 4

That hot mess of a blueberry dessert should have gotten that guy the boot right then and there. What an abomination.  Go straight to jail, do not pass go. What the hell did he do to make something so unappealing, so inedible and so awful?  Yeesh

I did like the younger guy with glasses who did the champagne dessert.  He may be a strong contender this season. I didn’t like Stephanie in this episode, but maybe she will grow on me.  She reminded me of Patty from last year, personality wise.  I think her desserts looked better than Scattered Patty’s.

• Love 7

I met Stephany at a bachelorette party last year and she made the most amazing, mouth watering cinnamon caramel rolls I have ever experienced.  For that reason alone I am rooting for her!  They must coach them to be over the top in their personalities and reactions because she was much lower key IRL. 

• Love 5

My issue with Stephany was more about her reaction to the fake raspberry flavored candy canes. I get irritated when I see people on cooking shows like this who expect to only be able to use the  highest quality ingredients they want and they have a hard time adjusting to having to use something less than that.  She may not actually be that way, but my first impression based on her response to the candy canes and my stereotypical view of Nor-Cal made me think she was. I DID appreciate how helpful she was with Aveed and the rum, which is what is helping me change my view on her. 

• Love 3

I love Duff, like Lorraine and absolutely can't stand Nancy Fuller so I was hoping they'd replace her with someone less smug and confrontational.  I don't find the friction between the two women even a tiny bit amusing - even if it's fake.  Well, I do find Nancy's new haircut pretty funny.  Yike.

My first thought when I saw Aveed was that FN was going to try to capitalize on the popularity of Nadiya from GBBS.  I expected her to last a long time no matter what she did so I was glad she was eliminated for her poor showing - not because I didn't like her but because it was the right decision.  I did raise an eyebrow when she was talking to Jesse while making her alcohol-infused dessert and said she "always" makes this for the holidays.  I raised the other eyebrow when she said she hadn't tasted it because of the alcohol.  It makes no sense that a practicing Muslim would "always" make a dessert with alcohol that couldn't be eaten.

That blue-green dessert must have tasted a lot better than it looked.

The young fellow with glasses appeared to be one to watch.  He's clearly talented and seemed quite pleasant.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, mlp said:

Well, I do find Nancy's new haircut pretty funny.  Yike.

Actually I would call it a "hair don't" at least on a woman her age!(and I can say that since we are in the same age group. Her hair also looks to be very fine and so it just sorta' lays flat.(I have extremely fine hair, not thin but fine.

Looks like this might be a good season but I miss Bobby Deen! He was fun!

Did any one catch the Christmas Cookie Challenge? I sorta' like the concept because 5 people have 2 rounds. At the end the winner gets $10,000. If they made it more like the other cooking shows, it would be so redundant, I mean how many things can you do with cookies? Some of the cookies were really beautiful and I liked all but one of the contestants...the one with dark hair who greedily took all the spices to her work area and who also used all of the molasses....Greedy, Greedy, Greedy!!!!

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Actually I would call it a "hair don't" at least on a woman her age!(and I can say that since we are in the same age group. Her hair also looks to be very fine and so it just sorta' lays flat.(I have extremely fine hair, not thin but fine.

Looks like this might be a good season but I miss Bobby Deen! He was fun!

Did any one catch the Christmas Cookie Challenge? I sorta' like the concept because 5 people have 2 rounds. At the end the winner gets $10,000. If they made it more like the other cooking shows, it would be so redundant, I mean how many things can you do with cookies? Some of the cookies were really beautiful and I liked all but one of the contestants...the one with dark hair who greedily took all the spices to her work area and who also used all of the molasses....Greedy, Greedy, Greedy!!!!

Is that a new Christmas Cookie Challenge or the one from last year?  I accidentally caught it last year and I agree, it's a great concept!  

I haven't watched the show yet because I was debating if it would be more of the same from Halloween Baking (meaning I make better stuff than the contestants they rustled up) but you all have convinced me to give it a go!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, kj4ever said:

Is that a new Christmas Cookie Challenge or the one from last year?  I accidentally caught it last year and I agree, it's a great concept! 

Just doubled checked and this is a new segment....I missed it last year but really enjoyed it(well, except for the one greedy lady baker!)

There are at least 3 episodes. The first episode repeats next Sunday and Monday so you can catch it. If you do watch, please post what you think of the greedy baker.

Just now, suebee12 said:

Just doubled checked and this is a new segment....I missed it last year but really enjoyed it(well, except for the one greedy lady baker!)

There are at least 3 episodes. The first episode repeats next Sunday and Monday so you can catch it. If you do watch, please post what you think of the greedy baker.

Than's suebee!  I sure will!  I love making cookies so this show is my jam!

• Love 1

You know...there have been several Muslim women contestants on reality shows in the past year or so, and I wonder if FN wasn't capitalizing on that as a PR move. It's interesting, because Aveed said her family celebrated Christmas, and I don't know if an observant Muslim family would observe Christmas in even a secular sense. (I have a Jewish friend that eschews EVERYTHING Christmas -- even the secular stuff.) Also, Aveed showed a picture of her family, and I don't think she and her mother were veiled in that. I'm wondering if she only wears a hijab on certain occasions. She also never said she abstained from alcohol due to her religion -- she only mentioned her age. Which leads me to believe that she auditioned, wasn't a very strong candidate due to her lack of experience, but they picked her because she was a Muslim of Persian descent, and they encouraged her to wear a hijab as if to say, "Look! We're PC, too!" 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Rickster said:

It could be both, but given her age was prominent, it makes sense to talk about that more on television.

1 hour ago, mlp said:

I did raise an eyebrow when she was talking to Jesse while making her alcohol-infused dessert and said she "always" makes this for the holidays.  I raised the other eyebrow when she said she hadn't tasted it because of the alcohol.  It makes no sense that a practicing Muslim would "always" make a dessert with alcohol that couldn't be eaten.

She said she always makes a custard cake for the holidays, not always makes a rum cake. She didn't taste this one because of the rum, but presumably the other times she's made that dessert it didn't contain alcohol.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

She said she always makes a custard cake for the holidays, not always makes a rum cake. She didn't taste this one because of the rum, but presumably the other times she's made that dessert it didn't contain alcohol.

OK, if that's what she meant, I'll stand corrected.  I still think it odd that she claimed she couldn't taste it because of her age.  Eating something flavored with an alcoholic beverage isn't considered drinking AFAIK no matter what the drinking age is in her state.  

• Love 2

Overall, this season is at an okay start. Nancy Fuller is such a pain. Was she drunk? Also, her hair looks awful.

What I think on Aveed is that she was chosen to compete on this competition because she was Muslim, and in order to eye-catch other people of Muslim descent. She probably baked with alcohol since she could sense it, rather than just use it. I was surprised that she was eliminated because she won the preheat. I was expecting Andra to get eliminated.

Right now, I guess I'm an Aristo fan! I love hotels.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

My issue with Stephany was more about her reaction to the fake raspberry flavored candy canes. I get irritated when I see people on cooking shows like this who expect to only be able to use the  highest quality ingredients they want and they have a hard time adjusting to having to use something less than that.  She may not actually be that way, but my first impression based on her response to the candy canes and my stereotypical view of Nor-Cal made me think she was. I DID appreciate how helpful she was with Aveed and the rum, which is what is helping me change my view on her. 

Yes, yes yes.  As soon as she made the candy cane flavor comment, I turned to my husband and was like "Shut up, cannon fodder."  I was super annoyed that her main dessert actually looked really good (even though it was a little "The more you know!" looking).  

Loved the adorable guy with the glasses, and looooved his main dessert.  So stinkin' cute and I'd totally order it if it was on a restaurant menu.

Looks like a kinda promising group.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Loved the adorable guy with the glasses, and looooved his main dessert.  So stinkin' cute and I'd totally order it if it was on a restaurant menu.

I noticed that he's the executive pastry chef at Harvest in Cambridge MA. My daughter lives in Cambridge and so I always keep up with "nice" restaurants there. Harvest is definitely a "buzz" restaurant though I haven't been since it's in a different neighborhood than she's in.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I caught it on demand.  Yeah, that greedy baker was rank.  Didn't care much for the Internet Celebrity chick either.  None of them were particularly likable...lol  

I'm glad I didn't give up on Holiday Baking Championship.  This episode was much better than Halloween Baking Championship!  It seems less character driven than before - sure they have the token old people and the holly jolly one, but they are not completely over the top like they usually do on this channel.  I'm hoping they keep it toned down.

I was afraid that we had another Erin on our hands with the chick from Wisconsin I think, but as long as she doesn't start referring to herself as a "fluffy kid" I'll be okay.  The older people seem like they can hang this year, and are not just fodder so that is really cool.

• Love 4

"Your peanut cookie doesn't go with the poached pear mulled wine tart."

Well, duh.  That's why I dislike the stupid twists. I love peanuts, but adding peanuts to that beautiful tart would have ruined it. 

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the creativity shown by the bakers.  I'd love to try that champagne thing.

• Love 7
On 11/7/2017 at 1:18 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Was Nancy drunk the whole time? And what's up with her hair?

I laugh at Lorraine's tiny bites while Duff and Nancy take big ones.

It irritates me the way Lorraine scrapes her fork on her teeth.

• Love 3

I don't know where else to ask and I'm assuming my fellow Food Network watchers can help. So either last week to 2 weeks about I was watching a backing competions with a bunch of people for past seasons of this show. I can't remember what it's called and I couldn't find it on the schedule. I don't think it can be that old because it had Jason as a judge along with one of the woman from the kitchen. I couldn't find it on the FN website. 

54 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

I don't know where else to ask and I'm assuming my fellow Food Network watchers can help. So either last week to 2 weeks about I was watching a backing competions with a bunch of people for past seasons of this show. I can't remember what it's called and I couldn't find it on the schedule. I don't think it can be that old because it had Jason as a judge along with one of the woman from the kitchen. I couldn't find it on the FN website. 

It was called Best Baker in America, and it has already ended. Let's get back to HBC, though. This topic is for talk about the episodes.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:29 PM, jcbrown said:

Mods, can we please have a Christmas  Cookie Challenge  thread so I can complain about rodent-faced incompetent Red Drummond ?

On 11/9/2017 at 0:10 AM, theatremouse said:

If Christmas Cookie Challenge is a separate series, you can request a forum here. Topics in this forum, which can be created by regular posters and do not require mod action, should be limited to Holiday Baking Championship.

We had a similar issue in Halloween Wars. There was side show that was only three episodes, like Christmas Cookie Challenge. Instead of creating a new forum for three episodes, we had a thread in the main Halloween Wars forum. It seems the same here, with not being worth making a forum for three episodes. There is also General Cooking Show thread in the Misc forum under Genre Talk, but only has five pages. Would Small Talk be acceptable for discussion of that show? 

2 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Best Baker in America has a forum here. It has finished for the year, but was a very good show. This is the best place to ask that question and wasn't out of line. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Christina said:

Best Baker in America has a forum here. It has finished for the year, but was a very good show. This is the best place to ask that question and wasn't out of line. 

Thanks I don't know how I missed this show. And I really didn't think it would be such an issue to ask.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:15 AM, TimetoShine said:

Nancy's only comment is Christmas, not Christmas, Christmas, not Christmas.

This week's comment was where is the booze.

The guy who put vodka on ice cream or custard seems super gross. I'm not that much of a drinker when it comes to alcohol but vodka never really seems to taste like anything. 

I'm surprised that the guy with the hard green dessert was able to pull through the second round. Was anybody even able to eat his first dessert. It looked like Duff tried but I wonder if N&L even tried.

How long has it been since the woman was on Halloween baking? She seemed to have aged a bit or I'm just misremembering.

I clearly don't remember any names and I won't until half the contestants are gone. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

How long has it been since the woman was on Halloween baking? She seemed to have aged a bit or I'm just misremembering.

We wondered too! Shows what having kids do to parents.

Did Duff really say he didn’t like cupcakes?? How does that even happen?

• Love 2

I am so impressed that FN did it again with the stereotype casting. Hispanic man. Check. Black man. Check.  Sassy older white woman. Check. Hipster. Check. (Bonus if he's also gay.) Obnoxious youngish woman. Check. Big brash "experienced" middle aged man. Check. And this year ... throw in a young Muslim woman.

I've also noticed on this latest round of programs how many of the contestants are culinary instructors.  Interesting.  Usually, it's bakers with their own businesses who want the publicity or need the money to expand.

Right now, I have to root for the blueberry candy cane dessert disaster guy simply because he is local for me.  (I've never heard of him but anyway ...) I also think the bookish young guy who made the champagne snow globe is a front-runner.  I also liked Stefany. I didn't find anything wrong with her stating that her candy canes had a nasty artificial raspberry flavor. She was stating a fact. The judges also mentioned it and marveled at how well Stefany was able to mask the artificial taste. I imagine the guys who got the blueberry and pineapple flavors had the same reaction but they either kept quiet or Stefany got the bitch edit. Too early to really tell. I hope she doesn't get the "dingy old lady" edit like Patty, Susan/Sue? and Linda (on another show) have in the past.

What in the fresh hell is Nancy wearing on her head? She looked so good the past two seasons with her soft blondish bob. It almost looks like she's trying to either emulate or mock Lorraine's trademark hairstyle. Speaking of ... Lorraine is quickly starting to wear out her welcome with me. I guess she is FN's new "it girl," because she's quickly become a regular on the baking shows. There is something about her that I can't put my finger on that irks me. She's kind of bitchy/mean girl and it's too consistent to wave off as "British humor" or whatever.  I think that.  Duff is the best judge. I think he has the most knowledge and experience and he is firm and fair without being nasty. I like the way he doles out praise when warranted and actually explains what went wrong.

Oh, yeah ... and Nancy can drop the "drunken grandma" routine. It got old really fast on her own show with the "Gigi Juice." We get it that you like to drink.

I am ambivalent about the host. He's good looking but that's about it. I think Bobby came across as more of a natural because he knows something about cooking and he probably knew the other judges from being in the FN fold.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, grisgris said:

What in the fresh hell is Nancy wearing on her head? She looked so good the past two seasons with her soft blondish bob. It almost looks like she's trying to either emulate or mock Lorraine's trademark hairstyle. Speaking of ... Lorraine is quickly starting to wear out her welcome with me. I guess she is FN's new "it girl," because she's quickly become a regular on the baking shows. There is something about her that I can't put my finger on that irks me. She's kind of bitchy/mean girl and it's too consistent to wave off as "British humor" or whatever.  I think that.  Duff is the best judge. I think he has the most knowledge and experience and he is firm and fair without being nasty. I like the way he doles out praise when warranted and actually explains what went wrong.

Oh, yeah ... and Nancy can drop the "drunken grandma" routine. It got old really fast on her own show with the "Gigi Juice." We get it that you like to drink.

I agree with all you said here. I probably think she got a haircut either because she doesn't like Lorraine, or just for entertainment purposes.

Did Duff really say he didn’t like cupcakes?? How does that even happen?

Ha!  My guess is that it is a chunk of cake with an icing glob. It probably goes against his sensability as a cake expert.  You need a fork but they are typically eaten hand held giving you a nose full of frosting if you are not careful. 

I love them.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

giving you a nose full of frosting if you are not careful. 

I've heard of that happening a bunch of times to...a friend of mine, yeah, that's it.  A friend.

I wish they would switch up the judges.  I don't like Nancy, Lorraine is OK but her bitchy act is getting old, and Duff just kind of seems over it.  Time for some fresh blood!  On the other hand, the new host is a zero.   Why have a 'personality' versus someone who is actually a baker?  Did someone say he was on The Bachelor?  Great background for a baking show!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Frost said:

I've heard of that happening a bunch of times to...a friend of mine, yeah, that's it.  A friend.

I wish they would switch up the judges.  I don't like Nancy, Lorraine is OK but her bitchy act is getting old, and Duff just kind of seems over it.  Time for some fresh blood!  On the other hand, the new host is a zero.   Why have a 'personality' versus someone who is actually a baker?  Did someone say he was on The Bachelor?  Great background for a baking show!

These judges work for me.  The Halloween baking show had Loraine, Carla Hall and some other guy.  Not good, terrible even.  This says you cannot just hire someone who knows about baking.  It is more complicated.   

• Love 1

It's too early for me to remember the contestant's names, but it's been  a couple of days since I watched and I'm still thinking about that champagne cocktail dessert. I want to eat it real bad. 

Shows how much attention I pay to Nancy. I didn't even notice she had a new 'do.

• Love 1

I just think the "this is not Christmassy" complaint is so unfair when some contestants have arguably Christmassy candy cane flavors (hot cocoa, even raspberry or cherry) and some have very much non-Christmassy flavors.  What did they expect the blueberry guy to do (I know, besides make an attractive and tasty dessert, but still, it wouldn't have been Christmassy at all even if was the most fabulous looking and tasting one of the whole group!)?

• Love 6

I agree @Jobiska.  There are some us who live in the tropics or desert who do not go all Charles Dickens on Christmas. Step into 2017. This is my only miff.

I make strawberry shortcake for the holidays, often.  It is a favorite of mine and little baking involved! 

Since I am not a baker I FF through some of the preparation segments to get to the final product and judging. 

I like all the judges and their relationship with each other.  Nancy is looking fabulous.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I thought 90 minutes was too long for two people to make 12 hand pies. That’s barely even a challenge!

Sorry but egg nog doesn’t “go” with anything IMO. I almost gagged when that one guy made a chocolate-orange-eggnog cookie. I bet the last minute eggnog ruined all those desserts. 

• Love 7

Grr Nancy. It doesn't look Christmassy it looks like a fall dessert. Um isn't Thanksgiving a Holiday in the fall. Or is Christmas the only Holiday that matters now.

I really want someone to stick a bunch of dreidels on there cake or anything thing that isn't Christmas but represents a different Holiday. Just to see Nancy start twitching.

• Love 8

Grr Nancy. It doesn't look Christmassy it looks like a fall dessert. Um isn't Thanksgiving a Holiday in the fall. Or is Christmas the only Holiday that matters now.

Exactly! Plus, wasn't the first round more of a fall-theme with the turkeys, acorns, leaves, etc, so it's not like they are only concentrating on Christmas.

• Love 4

Well, there you go:  the blueberry guy should have made his dessert in the shape of a Star of David.

Was there any point to putting everybody in teams of two except that they presented on the same plate? In the first round, some people baked while others decorated but overall, they each seemed to concentrate on their own dessert.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 11
On November 8, 2017 at 10:29 PM, jcbrown said:

Mods, can we please have a Christmas  Cookie Challenge  thread so I can complain about rodent-faced incompetent Red Drummond ?

I just noticed that a forum for this show is now open!