Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Finale, Part 2

Drogo
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, 88Keys said:

I figured Ayana would win to make a statement.  Kind of like Ashley's win, only Ayana is talented.  

Ironically, this is why I'm glad she DIDN't win. I did not want her to be thought of in the same way as Ashley. Ayana is very talented and the "runners-up" on Project Runway have gone on to do great things. Good luck, Ayana!

• Love 17

Wow, was quite surprised by the winner!  So glad that Kentaro won. I’ve liked him immensely all season and felt he was often overlooked. Such a quirky, kind, humble, and fun guy. I love how he stayed true to his aesthetic even though he had the worst preview critique and he didn’t think he had a shot. Maybe letting go of the expectations is the key to pulling out a win. Funny how Nina loved all the looks except the 1 outfit he sewed right before the show. It was commerical, which is why I’m surprised it’s not in the JCP website.  JCP of course has already trashed be6ond recognition most of his winning looks. How disappointing. I wish there was a way to purchase the originals, I would pay a few $$$ to own a piece from him collection. 

I’ve also felt that Brandon siphoned a lot of his creativity from Kentaro, the same way he siphons his esoteric style from deconstructing his girlfriends creations. The judges have been wrong all season, and it even though I felt sorry for him with the sob fest, there was no way he deserved the win with that couch flamingo print. Ick, just ick! 10 looks in the same icky fabric? If he had contrasted it with a vibrant color (not that nude pastel pink), his collection would have been a lot more interesting. Snooze fest indeed. Hated it from the first second I saw it. I never got the Brandon appeal. Straps, and ill-fitting clothes...okay? In fact, when the judges said that Brandon was innovative because others were copying him, I snorted. He is talented, but he’s not the second coming of Gianni Versace the way the judges kept fawning over him. 

Margarita wasn’t ever going to win. But I’m glad she stuck to her guns and sent the show SHE wanted and created. I think the standing O was a pity ovation, everyone in NY knew about the hurricane by then...the not-Liris sharing ripoff moment was great, but the overall collection wasn’t a prize winner. I would rock a few of her pieces though...I’m all about bright colors and prints. 

Ayana had a great shot but she ruined it with that dour metallic palette. Her head gear was on point. The pistachio wedding dress was a standout, however all the ruffles on the other garments kept throwing me for a loop.

All the designers except Kentaro seemed to think that cohesion meant repetition. That seemed to be the crux of most of their issues. 

I’m all in for the reunion. The sourpuss cheating twins are back and I can’t wait for the drama! I hope they won’t draw it out for 2 weeks....this reunion should be able to be tied neatly with a bow in under 90 minutes. 

Edited by Spiderella2
Wrong name
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, slothgirl said:

They've apparently never seen Morticia Addams.

I liked Brandon's personality in the beginning but then he just started to seem smug. By only showing real emotion when things didn't go well for him, it just reinforces the sense of Smug.

I was going to ask what, but I figured it out and now I can't figure out how to remove this one quote. So never mind....

I would have liked to see more of his Mom. And didn't Tim usually join the winner on the runway at the end? Did I miss him?

I forgot about the trip to Japan. I wonder if that played a part? Maybe it will cost them less to send him there if his "home" that they have to fly him from isn't actually in the US?

Totally disagree. And even if she does in the clips, we really won't know til the episode airs. I just hope they talk about more than just tape-gate.

Yes please... How did Liris become the dominant personality of the season? She obviously had something in her contract about screen time and "lines" to speak. I find it hard to believe that they got that much footage of all the models and only decided in editing to focus on her so much.

My thoughts:

I didn't love any of the collections. If Michael Kors was there, I think he would have mentioned the difference between a collection and a "line" when reviewing Brandon's. A "Collection" is meant to look like the designer's "girl" would have all the pieces in her closet, and that's how they feel tied together. There's cohesion, but they aren't repetitive. Each one has a purpose.

A "Line" is just a bunch of similar pieces put out together that might mix and match well, or that are the same basic pieces or outfits with slight differences (necklines, sleeves, tunics and fitted tops). They are frequently all the same fabric/s. There's no need to have all the pieces in a line, because they serve the same purposes and other people won't realize it's not the same thing you wore yesterday. Brandon really screwed himself by using the same fabric for everything even if it had been fabulous.  And it wasn't. 

Margarita succeeded better in creating different looks that could be called a collection instead of a line. I was unexpectedly excited by it, and I NEVER wear loud prints because I'm one of those soft, low contrast, delicate looking women that is easily overwhelmed by BRIGHT, flashy, sparkly, etc. I would totally rock that asymmetrical-front grey dress she made during the season.

I was really disappointed in Ayana. I expected more innovation from her. She really shined when she went full-on RUNWAY during the season, and these were clothes to wear as-is. She was using mostly color palettes that I would like, but many of those looks were so FRUMPY! Not because they covered skin, but because of the excess fabric concealing any shape. She herself wore a Morticia Addams worthy clingy dress for one of the runways during the season (apricot if I recall) so she should know what is and isn't frumpy. Most of her collection was really missing that daring innovative element she started bringing towards the end of the season. It was meh.... even in soft grey palettes that I love.

Kentaro... Now THAT"S  what runways used to be about before they became so ready-to-wear commercial focused. People didn't buy couture straight off the runway... they bought couture modified from a runway piece, sometimes an outrageous runway piece. Did I love his looks? Not really. Did I like his SHOW? yes. There was a moment when the black tulle skirt over peach mini came out at the PERFECT point in the music so that everything seemed suspended in time and in the air for a moment. That was so VERY Japanese in feeling. More said in stillness than in noise. I think the first models didn't really help create the atmosphere because they walked with that same clump-clump-clump that they would use if they had been in Margarita's show. Somehow the model in that black tulle over peach skirt changed the tone and floated. I missed the home visits, so I don't know what the references to dead cats is. I have the same information that someone in the live audience would have had hearing just his brief intro and for me it worked even if I wouldn't wear most of his looks.

Kentaro told Tim that he'd come upon a dead cat, and while burying it he came up with his music.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Spiderella2 said:

I think the standing O was a pity ovation, everyone in NY knew about the hurricane by then...

I think that was just for the moment when the plus-sized model whipped off her sarong (there were cheers in the crowd), not at the end for the whole collection.  

• Love 10

I haven't read all 4 pages yet but will do so.

I wanted Brandon or Kentaro to win so I was happy Kentaro won.

I was really worried they would give the win to the head wrap woman. I like her but her impression didn't thrill me. I was concerned they would give it to her due to her doing a "modest" (or Islamic oriented) collection (they want to be PC or some agenda thing). I think she will have a good career....actually they all will likely have a good career in fashion.

I'm glad Margarita's family arrived safely to NYC. I liked some of her pieces but they didn't seem that innovative at least not in the same leagues as Brandon and Kentaro.

I don't think they should celebrate underweight or overweight models. I think models should fall into the normal BMI range. I don't know what ranges the model's fall into but I did kind of eye roll at the ovation the one larger model got for taking of the skirt. However I worked many years in health care and have seen the effects of obesity. I do have to admit I don't know her BMI but personally I prefer healthy BMI models (not underweight or overweight).

I also rolled my eyes at Yolanda Foster-Hadid celebrating models of all sizes. This is the women would would only let Gigi eat one almond and wouldn't let her eat birthday cake (Real Housewives of Beverly Hills). I can't stand Yolanda.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

Margarita wasn’t ever going to win. ...I think the standing O was a pity ovation, everyone in NY knew about the hurricane by then...the Liris moment was great, ...

Liris modeled for Brandon.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

Whoever did the editing on the show was super heavy handed with the "Kentaro doesn't think he's going to win" stuff at the beginning just for him to the win at the end of the episode. Like if it is that obvious, do you even call that foreshadowing? Is it like fore-spoilering? Fore-projecting?

That's why I thought Ayana was going to win, they spent so much time focusing on the trouble she was having in the workroom. This is also why I stopped watching Chopped. They had a pattern of doing this that told you who was going to win before the end, so why bother watching.

6 hours ago, Bebecat said:

Let's hope for less model-opinion stuff next time...and a clearer idea of how models are assigned please. I did not even mind that brief model show they had for a season or two but too much Lyris this time for sure.

Should have been called "Project Liris". She was too cocky and really did seem to think the show was all about her. I wasn't impressed with her in the least, not because of size, because of attitude.

• Love 17

I was shocked and relieved when Brandon didn't win. The judges have been falling all over themselves to slobber over his sloppy looking strap covered pieces all season so I was convinced that he was going to win no matter what. I find it hilarious that they kept complimenting his stupid straps (even in the finale critique) as his signature, but in other seasons they have told designers to stop repeating their signature thing (Ven's rose and Angela's fleurchons come to mind).

Brandon got demerits from me this week for (1) his hideous strappy white sandals worn with red socks (2) saying "should have went." Yup, I'm judging him for stuff other than his designs.

Remember a few seasons ago when the judges kept harping on the designers when they put the models in unflattering silhouettes or made their hips look bigger? Brandon's designs are so unflattering on every body shape because they're so shapeless. I'm not saying that every outfit needs a nipped in waist but all of the designs he showed on the runway this week were universally unflattering. If you had each model stand behind the PR scrim and you just saw the silhouette of each outfit, most of them would look like grown up versions of those grocery store Halloween costumes that were some sort of cheap stiff material that went over your clothes.

I didn't like the shiny material that Ayana used in several of her outfits. It really cheapened a lot of her looks. I agreed with whichever judge said the first three looks were not good. Loved the veil/head wrapping she had on her last model.

Compared to the blah color (or lack thereof) the other designers used, I can see why many people in the audience liked Margarita's bright and colorful collection. I knew she wasn't going to win, but it was nice to have such vivid and joyful colors on the runway. Hilarious that the judges' reaction to her preview was "Ugh, too Miami, that print is over the top, tone it all down!" but after seeing the whole collection, they liked the print and the colors.

I agree that Kentaro showed a collection, not a line, and that put him head and shoulders above the others.

My favorite thing was that both Kentaro and Margarita used the judges' critiques of their previews to say, "FUCK IT! I'm just going to do what I want." As Tim pointed out, there isn't much you can change on such short notice and you might as well show something that represents your vision.

I laughed when Zac said something about how these were the most finished designs he'd seen from them this season. Crazy how much better people are at designing and creating things when you give them more than a few hours to conceptualize and sew their designs.

I'm happy with Kentaro's win. I would have been fine with anyone but Brandon and I knew the judges would never choose Margarita as the winner, which left Kentaro and Ayana.

• Love 20
7 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Oh wow...

I knew Brandon wasn't winning.  He did not have a 'wow' moment, and it all just kinda blended together.  But in all...I loved his designs over the season the most.  They appeal to my Frank Lloyd Wright design lovin' heart.  He's super super talented, and as heartbroken as he is, he will do well.  He is already, he's designed tour wear for a band or two, so his name is out there now. 

Margarita did do a good job, it was fun - hey, if she's tropical, own it and love it baby, be true to yourself.  There were a couple of pieces I would wear.  I'm so glad that her parents were able to be there even at the end for her.  I'd bet they were stuck in NY for quite a while afterward.  

Enjoyed Ayana's, there were pieces the worked, a few that didn't, and the judges were right, there should have been some more touches of color.  She was my pick to win though, so I just about bruised my jaw when it fell on the floor with Kentaro's win.  Now, I give him lots of credit, he took a look at his collection and made the adjustments he needed to so it presented more cohesively.  I get the theme with the Dead Cat music, even if I didn't care for Dead Cat tributes.  I love him, he's adorable.   I get it all...but I really have to say I didn't like the collection as a whole.  Other than three or four single pieces...I really hated it.  Nothing intrigued me, nothing was new...it was like Sean's win with his fucking Cousin It fringe all over the place...pretty, well made, but I'm bored.  It wasn't horrible, it wasn't an affront to humanity (see Gretchen Season Eight with the Judging from Hell), it's not causing major climate change, but it's making me non excited.  Like I say, lovely lovely man, hope to see more from him in the future, major applause for winning.

Of course I'm going to watch the reunion.  I give this season a lot of kudos for having some nice, normal seeming, level headed, polite people.  With the two exceptions of course.  I think there's going to be some ground control to Major Tim on this show, there was not a lot of happy in that preview.

I love your entire post, but this line LITERALLY made me laugh out loud!  ;-)

• Love 1

For the first time in my recent memory, a designer that I liked from day one, actually won!   Kudos to Kentaro! 

I believe Brandon was hurt by the fact his entire collection consisted of the flamingo print.  In past seasons,  I remember the judges and Tim saying that "cohesion" meant that the same woman would have all of the pieces in her closet.   Well, I  don't know of any woman who would want 10 items made with flamingo material, unless she has a flamingo fetish.  Brandon would have been better off using different fabrics, perhaps a pink, white, light brown, and then using the flamingo print as a accent, or in one or two pieces.  Indeed (tm The Twins) had he sent down a collection of every item he had made during the season, he might have won.   Maybe it took 10 items all at once for the judges to realize he was essentially repeating the same look over and over.

Having said that, my impression was that Brandon thought he was the clear winner.  Most of the viewers thought that, so why shouldn't he?  All season long the judges have fawned over him and oohed and aahhed over every thing he sent down the runway.   ONCE, early on, Zac said something about wanting him to show something different, but that faded away in the ensuing Brandon love.  The judges never really gave him any constructive criticism, nor did Tim.  So in that sense, they did him a disservice.

Ayana's designs were lovely, although like Zac, I wasn't crazy about the first 2 looks.  But the last dress was stunning.  I think her aesthetic takes some getting used to.   I did think Jennifer Alba was correct in saying that there is a market for covered up clothing, and that market has been largely unaddressed.  I also liked that she played with the hijabs so they didn't all look like hijabs.  

There was nothing wrong with Margarite's collection (if one likes tropical prints) - I just think someone had to come in last.  That simple.

Nitpicks:

The  model taking off the skirt and proceeding down the runway was "a moment in fashion".  Seriously?

Heidi never fails to dress in a outfit that makes me wonder how she can even judge a fashion competition.  That purple  thing was no exception.

So Heidi makes underwear for men?  Thanks Zac.

Congratulations Kentaro.  Enjoy your trip to....Japan!

• Love 13
6 hours ago, escatefromny said:

I was sooo distracted by Heidi’s dress I could barely pay attention to anything else.

It was a collection of “don’t”s:  terrible fabric, ill fitting, unflattering, “too many ideas” (plunging neckline, peplum, giant bow, vulgar color).  Ugh!!  Not that I ever gave too much weight to Heidi’s expertise, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to unsee her in that dress and will forever roll my eyes when she offers an opinion.

Yay Kentaro (it did seem like fashion) and I literally went back to Candy Crush during Brandon’s Show, talk about monotonous.

My first thought when I saw that dress was "I wonder how the judges would judge that mess if one of the contestants sent it down the runway".  Well, I guess it's obvious that Heidi would have loved it.  It's interesting, though, because she is usually one of the first ones to complain about a dress being "too busy - too many ideas going on" or "too hoochie-mama" - which is exactly what that dress was!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, GaT said:

Nobody blew me away, so I didn’t care who won. As for what I thought of the collections:

Margarita – It was OK, but it did look like resort wear. I’m not sure I can imagine someone walking around New York in one of those outfits.

Brandon – It all looked the same, & it all looked exactly like the things he’s designed all season.

Kentaro – It was odd – the first dress looked like a shower puff. The only outfit I really liked was the one that, of course, the judges didn’t. I can't believe that a "version" of his collection is being sold at JC Penney LOL. 

Ayana – A lot of it looked the same, but the last dress was pretty amazing

That was the thought I woke up with this morning!!!  That, and, while I liked some of Kentaro's looks, I really disliked several other things.  One being the first dress, for the exact reason you state.  It was a statement, and not meant for wear, but I was thinking if a celebrity wore that dress on a red carpet, at a event or something, I think they would be all over the worst-dress lists the next morning.

The other was the pleather/faux leather pink-y beige leggings that didn't look that great on the models, and would be the worst thing a normal/average sized woman could ever put on her body.  The color reminded me of Silly Putty, and that's NOT a very complimentary color.

I think Kentaro is adorable and I'm happy he won.  But, isn't the point of having a runway show with over-exaggerated pieces so that the looks can be re-designed into ready to wear pieces that will actually sell?  I didn't see much possibility of that with his pieces, and thanks to the links provided upthread, we've seen what has already horrendously happened!  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, nb360 said:

You have to give it to her -- Liris does know how to sell herself! I give her props for that! 

I was completely annoyed with Liris~~actually, my annoyance with Liris has been growing during the season and I guess, I hit my peak!!  Is Liris the official spokesmodel for the plus-size model contingent?  It was like she was accepting a friggin' award for being a good plus-sized model!  I was super pissed that the judges asked {again} Liris' opinion and not the other plus-sized girls.  Why ALWAYS Liris??  In my opinion, she didn't look all that great in the look that Brandon had her wear - paper bag waisted baggy pants didn't do much for her.

Why not ask the opinion of the model who brought the audience AND the judges to a standing ovation (I've never seen that before) - Jazzmine??  She absolutely rocked that outfit of Margarita's, she looked proud and confident and gorgeous!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

Couldn't disagree more! I thought the full musical piece was lovely and it definitely caught my attention. PR did Kentaro a disservice by cutting it down so severely in the home visits. 

It's moments like that one juxtaposed with Tim Gunn's perfect reaction that make me mourn for the end of Kentaro on my TV each week. I need a spin-off! PR producers can let us into his world, as he returns home to Japan and see what inspiration strikes him next. 

8 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

I don't think I've ever been this pleased, or surprised, by a winner on any competitive reality show. Kentaro's collection was breathtaking and I was sure the cracked out judges were going to overlook it in favor of Ayana's. I'm glad he decided to just say fuck it and do what he wanted to do because what he did was amazing. Kentaro did a superb job and I never thought I'd say this, but so did the judges. Love, love, love.

Yes, I agreed with every comment the judges made (Nina's nonsense about Brandon inspiring copycats this season excepted.)

Ayana surprised me. I only noticed her in 1 challenge: the avant-garde one I think it was where she had her first win. I expected to gloss over her collection (especially following Kentaro's symphony of fashion) but she had at least 3 memorable, interesting, and stylish looks I would want to wear.

Kentaro's collection was a greater triumph than expected from what I saw from the home visits, but I knew he had it in him from the work he showed at his audition and throughout the competition. He is great TV. If Santino and Austin and Jay McCarroll got spin-offs, Kentaro surely should. His honest talent that, as Zac said, "spoke up for itself" combined with his innocent exuberance warms my heart.

I don't feel "sorry" for Brandon because his overconfidence speaks to his own lack of character. That is what determines whether one believes their own hype and is easily corrupted or not. But I do understand his pain and it's a lesson he learned the hard way and he will be stronger for it. He is good at what he does and I could see all the Top 40 poptarts of today wearing his clothing.

Beautiful finale but the terrible twins almost ruined the season. I am not looking forward to them sucking up all the air again for the reunion.

• Love 9

As soon as I saw the runways, I had a feeling Kentaro would win.  It was fashion.  There were some misses, but I think as soon as the first piece was silhouetted in black and white and then came down the runway, he won it.  

The judges did Brandon a disservice all season not forcing him to push himself.  And he definitely misunderstood cohesion.  It's not having everything in the same fabric.  I liked a lot of the individual pieces, but there needed to be some variety in colour and a really statement piece like Ayana's dress at the end.

Marguerita... since when is a swimsuit and an ugly wrap skirt an innovation... I don't blame her for the ridiculous plaudits.

Ayyana's collection is the one that I was most torn about.  I liked a few pieces like the silver jacket she showed in part 1 of the finale, but the first 3 looks were soooo unflattering.  And then there were the Little House on the Prairie dresses that got that bizarre praise from the judges.  But her last look was spectacular.

ETA:  I don't blame Brandon for being convinced he'd won it.  The judges blew smoke up his ass all season making him think he had it in the bag.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 13

Glad for Kentaro's win. His clothes were beautiful and NYFW-worthy.

HATED that production showed his father's fall. What a shitty thing to do. They could have easily re-shot a short insert of him repeating his walk onto the stage, using cutaways to cover the editing "jumps."

I didn't mind Brandon's weeping; it was understandable and I'll take honest emotions over fake tears and quavery voices any day. I appreciate that he has a strong personal aesthetic, and that there's a market for it, but a view of this particular collection all at once didn't show any variety. The details were hard to see.

I hate the fawning over the model in the swimsuit. Very self-congratulatory, with thirsty hangers-on like Yolanda Foster jamming themselves into the moment.

Hated Ayana's prairie dresses and thought her fabric choices were too muted for a runway. Perhaps they were beautiful and luxurious up close. I loved her slim-fitting pants outfit and the wedding dress was divine.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 15
53 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I was completely annoyed with Liris~~actually, my annoyance with Liris has been growing during the season and I guess, I hit my peak!!  Is Liris the official spokesmodel for the plus-size model contingent?  It was like she was accepting a friggin' award for being a good plus-sized model!  I was super pissed that the judges asked {again} Liris' opinion and not the other plus-sized girls.  Why ALWAYS Liris??  In my opinion, she didn't look all that great in the look that Brandon had her wear - paper bag waisted baggy pants didn't do much for her.

Why not ask the opinion of the model who brought the audience AND the judges to a standing ovation (I've never seen that before) - Jazzmine??  She absolutely rocked that outfit of Margarita's, she looked proud and confident and gorgeous!  

IIRC, they did speak briefly to Jazzmine. I think she said something to the effect of feeling confident in her outfit. She just didn’t make the moment about herself like Liris did. 

It’s a bit irksome that Project Runway is trying to take credit for plus sized models when Ashley Graham has been doing much more to break down barriers the past few years. She has worked with designers including Prabalgurung and has her own line with Swimsuits for All and the lingerie line Actonell. I think her Fashion Week lingerie shows are way braver than what Project Runway has done. 

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

Margarita wasn’t ever going to win. But I’m glad she stuck to her guns and sent the show SHE wanted and created. I think the standing O was a pity ovation, everyone in NY knew about the hurricane by then...the Liris moment was great, but the overall collection wasn’t a prize winner. I would rock a few of her pieces though...I’m all about bright colors and prints. 

Ayana had a great shot but she ruined it with that dour metallic palette. Her head gear was on point. The pistachio wedding dress was a standout, however all the ruffles on the other garments kept throwing me for a loop.

All the designers except Kentaro seemed to think that cohesion meant repetition. That seemed to be the crux of most of their issues. 

I’m all in for the reunion. The sourpuss cheating twins are back and I can’t wait for the drama! I hope they won’t draw it out for 2 weeks....this reunion should be able to be tied neatly with a bow in under 90 minutes. 

People are mentioning people just feeling pity for Margarita, but actually she put on a runway show so why wouldn't the audience respond?  I think she was clearly better than 4th, and maybe even top 2.  Ayana had at least a couple of really boring outfits yet that got magically forgotten in the final review of them after having been brought up before the designers, rather strange that wasn't it?  And Brandon was just boring but they couldn't put him 4th as he'd been their favourite all season.  The second favourite of the judges all season was Kentaro (Tim Gunn said he was part of the dream team).  I'm still annoyed that he was allowed to get away with subpar efforts in the final weeks, but at least his runway show was decent for a winner. 

30 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

HATED that production showed his father's fall. What a shitty thing to do. They could have easily re-shot a short insert of him repeating his walk onto the stage, using cutaways to cover the editing "jumps."

The Princess Diana remark wasn't that necessary for inclusion either really. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

To be clear, Kentaro’s clothing will be adapted for JCPenney, but will it be available in plus sizes? Likely not? That’s what i figured.

Plus-sized models rejoice. 

And his clothes are in the junior department, which means  the clothes are cut for and being sold to skinny teens, not actual women.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Snappy said:

Should have been called "Project Liris". She was too cocky and really did seem to think the show was all about her. I wasn't impressed with her in the least, not because of size, because of attitude.

I agree, and I think there has to be a reason the producers focused on her all season.  I'll bet anything there's an upcoming reality show about plus-sized models, starring Liris.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, njbchlover said:

My first thought when I saw that dress was "I wonder how the judges would judge that mess if one of the contestants sent it down the runway".  Well, I guess it's obvious that Heidi would have loved it.  It's interesting, though, because she is usually one of the first ones to complain about a dress being "too busy - too many ideas going on" or "too hoochie-mama" - which is exactly what that dress was!  

Kind of makes me miss Michael Kors even more.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Snappy said:

clapping.gif

• Love 6

I was very happy with the outcome. I thought it was a strong show for all 4. There are some seasons where I think one or two do a horrible job and are obviously losers. This time, I thought all did a good job at doing what they do. I knew Margarita would not win but it was a good collection for her style (and I was surprised by how much liked the 2 outfits with the fish). Brandon did a very Brandon collection. Ayana's was good and I think she has developed over the course of the season, but I was glad she did not win. I did not like the shiny top (same one from 2 piece preview) that to me looked like maternity ware and the Little House on the Prairie dresses, even though they were praised by the judges, were a big NO to me.

Kentaro's collection to me was like a moment of art, with the music and how it all came together. Plus he seems very nice.

• Love 7

I think one reason that Project Runway has lost so many sponsors is that the judges have very little regard for the sponsors.  JC Penny will reproduce the winner's line?  Well, then, let's pick the one collection that would be the hardest for them to reproduce... I felt that way when they chose Margarita's dress as the winner for the challenge for which the winner would have his/her work sold by Pennys.  Not that I think the winner should be determined by the sponsor, but there needs to be a stronger connection between the two.

Having written all that, I was pleasantly surprised by the runway shows.  Margarita's made me happy-and I would wear something of hers on a Caribbean cruise.  Would I wear her clothes outside of a vacation?  Probably not.  However, I think there is a market for her, albeit limited.

I loved Ayana's final look.  I think she is really lucky that she listened to Tim about the preview collection.  Had she shown the two looks she originally was going to show I think she would have been out before Fashion Week.  Would I wear her clothes?  Already did when they were first made by Young Edwardian, Laura Ashley, and a brand out of SF that I can't remember right now (oh wait-maybe Jessica McClintock?).  Long sleeves, ruffles, high necks?  Check, check, and check.  How the judges think these elements are new is beyond me.  Yes, all the brands I mentioned had looks that were not "modest" but they definitely had the ruffles, etc.  However, had she won, I think her redesigned collection would have led new customers to JC Penny.

I liked many of Brandon's looks throughout the season, but he just made too many mistakes for the runway show.  Too repetitive, and as many have already mentioned, emphasizing the flamingo look throughout his show was just boring and questionable.  I also don't understand how he didn't think he should have a showstopping piece.  The irony is that if I was younger, I would definitely wear many of his looks (without the straps...).  I do believe that he will be very successful.  I also think his collection would have been a more natural fit with JC Penny and would have led younger customers to the store.

Heidi, Heidi, Heidi.  How can any of us take her seriously as a judge when she dresses like that?  Not only did it have a plunging neckline and was super short, the back of the top was cutout as well.  As a female I may not have the best take on this-but I didn't find it "sexy" at all.  To me, many of the more, ahem, "modest" outfits on the runway were far sexier than her outfit.  And, I don't get why every single judge emphasized the "sexiness" of the outfits as a gauge of the success of the outfits.  I don't think all of us worry about being "sexy" at work, church, etc.

As to showing Kentaro's father's fall-maybe there's concern about a lawsuit and they want proof he was able to walk afterwards?  If there was a lawsuit, does that mean Kentaro would own the show instead of the Weinstein Company...would that protect the brand?  Is it too early still for that kind of comment?  If so, I apologize.

• Love 6

I chose Kentaro as my pick way back from when the designers were pitching their collections.  I think I've only picked the winner one other time with Dom Streater.  I am over the moon that he won.  I was sincerely worried that he would take the judges criticism about "cohesion" and try to revamp his whole story.  Kentaro thinking that either Brandon or Ayana was the pre-ordained winner was the best thing that could've happened to him.  He let his own vision and voice speak--and what a lovely, artistic voice!  

Kentaro's trip to Japan:  Every once in a while, the Price Is Right gives away a trip to Philadelphia as a prize and I always feel like if I'm ever a contestant, that will be the prize I end up winning.  A trip home.  Not that it's not great to win a trip anywhere but I'm sure the Japan prize was thought to be something magnificent and exciting for the eventual winner.  And then a Japanese guy triumphs.  Funny.

I cannot remember another finale when I would've been ok with any one of the four winning.  It's a shame that they all had to compete against each other--I think any of these four would've won last season in a walk.  (Yes, I'm still seething about that Erin win--even more than Ashley!)

Maragrita's.  LOVED it.  Loved the shoes, loved the bag, LOVED IT!  It was joyous and feminine and tropical and HER.  I know the average woman wouldn't dream of rocking her stuff in everyday life but I'd take every piece in a heartbeat and plan a lot of Caribbean vacations.  Glad her family could be there--I can't imagine the worry she had to endure while trying to prep for her show.

Ayana really surprised me.  Her "modest" mantra kind of wore on my nerves all season but I was really impressed by her final collection.  Finale dress?  GORG!  Well-done, Ayana.

I still love Brandon but the one-noteness of it all sealed his fate.  He'll have a big career nonetheless.

That dreck that Heidi was wearing.  For someone who always zeros in on boob-placement in dresses, she must've gotten dressed in the dark.  

Great season!

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

As to showing Kentaro's father's fall-maybe there's concern about a lawsuit and they want proof he was able to walk afterwards?

They have it all on tape, broadcasting is irrelevant.  And I'm not sure the Japanese are as lawsuit happy as Americans anyway.   Mammoth speculation on his fall anyway.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 6

All in all, a good season.  I liked parts of all the collections.  But I was very distracted by the terrible job most of the models did last night.  The show models were okay, but almost all of the others did not know how to walk a runway at all.  They all did that weird, quick, awkward stop at the end of the runway and didn't know how to turn.   The model wearing Ayana's beautiful silver/gray pant outfit (the one she showed to the judges) hunched her shoulders and ruined the outfit.

I wonder if PR will now feel compelled to have a variety of sized models each season.  I do like that, but they need to stop the condescending bravo-you-showed-your-thighs stuff, and treat the plus-size models as models and not community spokespeople.

• Love 12

I wonder if Margarita regrets helping Kentaro redo the order in which he planned to show his collection. Probably not, she wasn't going to win either way. But I wonder to what extent her assistance helped him seal the deal on his win.

• Love 2

I didn't think that baby suit was very flattering on Margarita's model and I didn't get the standing ovation. Is there not an entire line of plus size swimwear at NYFW? I hated the way they patted themselves on the back the entire season because it featured "real women" (another phrase I also hate) After 16 seasons did someone finally whisper in their ear and say "you know clothes come in double digit sizes" and they all had an epiphany? 

In my opinion the best model ever on this show was the girl who wore Mychael Knights Pam Greer inspired looked. Can't remember her name but she set that runway on fire week after week. 

• Love 5

I don't understand how one would wear Brandon's clothes. You can only stand there in them. Imagine trying to drive in one of his get-ups? Or even getting into a car or a seat at a restaurant with all those straps and crap of different lengths hanging off. You can walk down the street but that is about it. Not in the least bit wearable. Although a few times they said you can take on piece and maybe wear it with jeans or something, because who wants to wear 5 layers of different shapes? If you are short, forget it! I am 5 foot 1 and I would look hilarious in his clothes- you need to be at least 5 11 I think for all that stuff. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, gingerormaryann said:

S1 when Vanessa Riley tried to put Wendy Pepper in her place, she turned into the villain herself.  In the clips, Amy sounded like a very stereotypical overworked teacher who should have retired years ago.

The show is the highest rated show on Lifetime and is the highest rated non sports show on Thursday.  Sarah and Tara should know that when you just stop a show, that's the end.  It doesn't come back.  Ten years...yeah, I can see that happening.

Um . . . Gilmore Girls came back, Will and Grace came back, Roseanne is coming back . .  . that's three off the top of my head. I"m sure there are others in the works . . . 

4 hours ago, loki310 said:

Meisha is such a great model. She really can make anything look good. When she didn’t wear the gray sport wear look like she did in the earlier episode, I was like, what happened to Meisha?? Then when she came out in the last look, I was literally gasped. I think she could be a breakout star from this - she was the model for so many winning looks!

Bit of a sidebar from main topic, but . . .  every stinkin' time I saw her, and ESPECIALLY in the unconventional challenge, I felt like I was looking at John Leguizamo in "To Wong Foo . ." 

PR.png

wong_foo.jpg

• Love 7

KENTARO! Kentaro is a whimsical, fanciful little sprite and I adore him without reservation. His collection was Fashion with a capital F. Delighted he won.

12 hours ago, gingerormaryann said:

Again, Liris didn't sell anything but herself.  Nothing about the designer or clothes but just about plus size models.  A sympathy ploy but she didn't have much to talk about with what she had on. 

I was living for Liris this season! She cracked my shit up, week after week. The woman knows how to take advantage of an opportunity and promote herself, and she took it and ran. I heard that the PR models aren't paid, but Liris will surely be mining gold from this. Sure she was over the top, but I always felt like she was laying it on thick almost for fun. Like she was winking at us, because she knew production would eat it up with a spoon. She was right!

11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Seeing all of Margarita's collection, I was surprised to see how much it reminded me of Custo Barcelona or Desigual. I shouldn't have in hindsight.

I'm not surprised that Brandon was bounced. There wasn't a reprieve from that flamingo fabric and his Brandon flourishes. It was exhausting.

Kentaro's was structural and very editorial. I never considered that he'd be in the running because the collection is supposed to be adapted by JC Penney.

I really liked Ayana's more, but that's as a consumer. I would wear her stuff, but that's not really what the competition is supposed to be about.

The models have always been important to the show and during the Bravo seasons, we knew who they were--Nazri, Maralinda, Amanda, Camilla.

Desigual! of course!

Brandon made a very bad choice with that flamingo fabric. He was way too much in his own head--and apparently had no one to rein him in. He showed his inexperience and lack of seasoning with that choice. He came across as precocious and teetering toward arrogant.

Ayana will definitely reap the benefit of having had an opportunity to show. There is a market for what she does, and not just in her faith community. Lots of her clothes have broad appeal.

Don't forget season 1's famous Morgan! and Melissa, Julia, and Jenny. I've enjoyed the model mirror and getting to know the models as people this season.

3 hours ago, Brookside said:

Not sure why people think a trip to Japan is a bad prize for Kentaro. He lives in New York. I live on the west coast but grew up in the UK.  I'd love a free trip back "home".  Not to mention that presumably he can change the destination or cash in the tickets.

I'm scratching my head too. An all expense paid trip and a stay in a nice hotel? Sounds heavenly.

I loved that Kentaro's mother and sister wore kimono. Japan represent!

19 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

All in all, a good season.  I liked parts of all the collections.  But I was very distracted by the terrible job most of the models did last night.  The show models were okay, but almost all of the others did not know how to walk a runway at all.  They all did that weird, quick, awkward stop at the end of the runway and didn't know how to turn.   The model wearing Ayana's beautiful silver/gray pant outfit (the one she showed to the judges) hunched her shoulders and ruined the outfit.

I

I noticed that too! The models were terrible, most of them couldn't walk worth a damn.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I don't understand how one would wear Brandon's clothes. You can only stand there in them. Imagine trying to drive in one of his get-ups? Or even getting into a car or a seat at a restaurant with all those straps and crap of different lengths hanging off. You can walk down the street but that is about it. Not in the least bit wearable. Although a few times they said you can take on piece and maybe wear it with jeans or something, because who wants to wear 5 layers of different shapes? If you are short, forget it! I am 5 foot 1 and I would look hilarious in his clothes- you need to be at least 5 11 I think for all that stuff. 

What was Tim Gunn's advice to designers in years past? Something about making sure someone could get in and out of a taxi in your clothes? I defy anyone to climb into a cab in any of Brandon's outfits. One strap caught in a door and you'd go the way of Isadora Duncan.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

It’s obvious that Ayana wasn’t just in the Top 4 for PC reasons. She earned her spot there by being talented and using the judges critiques each week to grow and change. 

I didn't mean to imply that Ayana was only there to make a statement.  She clearly has talent.  I'm kind of glad she didn't win, so no one can say "she only won because they wanted to make a statement in this current political climate" or something like that.  

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Remember a few seasons ago when the judges kept harping on the designers when they put the models in unflattering silhouettes or made their hips look bigger? Brandon's designs are so unflattering on every body shape because they're so shapeless. I'm not saying that every outfit needs a nipped in waist but all of the designs he showed on the runway this week were universally unflattering. If you had each model stand behind the PR scrim and you just saw the silhouette of each outfit, most of them would look like grown up versions of those grocery store Halloween costumes that were some sort of cheap stiff material that went over your clothes.

THANK YOU.  People keep referring to Brandon's clothes as "flattering," and I'm over here trying to figure out what body type they flatter.  Seems that they would make everyone look wide and boxy.  

3 hours ago, mwell345 said:

So Heidi makes underwear for men?  Thanks Zac.

Is that what they were getting at?  That was such a weird scene!  Creeped me out a bit.  "Let me see your underwear, Zac!"

• Love 11
12 hours ago, weightyghost said:

I find it funny how the judges didn't realize Brandon was doing the same thing all season until he showed 10 same looks back to back. 

He's sort of the classic case of the guy who never got criticized so never changed and then just SHOCKED that he didn't win. That's both on him and the judges.

This is pretty much what Ayana said a couple of episodes ago... something about the lack of constructive criticism from the judges would be Brandon's downfall... because he's not growing or challenging himself. He really thought he had this in the bag. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he was getting a little smug. 

• Love 10