Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Finale, Part 2

Drogo
  • Start Topic

I hate to say it, but I agree with Sarah and Tara—it's probably time to put PR out to pasture, at least until the talent pool refills in ~10 years and they can afford two-day challenges again. I was pulling for Ayana, I ain't mad at Kentaro...but I also don't care that much. I miss caring.

Well, except that Brandon lost. He has some decent motifs and good silhouettes, but the limited range, the pallid fabric choices, the drop cloth collections...no, no, and no, with a bonus no for the narcotizing voice. Plus, as has been discussed in his own thread, his stuff just looks like demo versions of his girlfriend's superior output. If he shows growth by the time he resurfaces on All-Stars, I'll reassess.

More twin bullshit ahead. Well, bring it on—it's the only thing I'll really remember from this season. When I bother to think of it at all.

• Love 16

Oh wow...

I knew Brandon wasn't winning.  He did not have a 'wow' moment, and it all just kinda blended together.  But in all...I loved his designs over the season the most.  They appeal to my Frank Lloyd Wright design lovin' heart.  He's super super talented, and as heartbroken as he is, he will do well.  He is already, he's designed tour wear for a band or two, so his name is out there now. 

Margarita did do a good job, it was fun - hey, if she's tropical, own it and love it baby, be true to yourself.  There were a couple of pieces I would wear.  I'm so glad that her parents were able to be there even at the end for her.  I'd bet they were stuck in NY for quite a while afterward.  

Enjoyed Ayana's, there were pieces the worked, a few that didn't, and the judges were right, there should have been some more touches of color.  She was my pick to win though, so I just about bruised my jaw when it fell on the floor with Kentaro's win.  Now, I give him lots of credit, he took a look at his collection and made the adjustments he needed to so it presented more cohesively.  I get the theme with the Dead Cat music, even if I didn't care for Dead Cat tributes.  I love him, he's adorable.   I get it all...but I really have to say I didn't like the collection as a whole.  Other than three or four single pieces...I really hated it.  Nothing intrigued me, nothing was new...it was like Sean's win with his fucking Cousin It fringe all over the place...pretty, well made, but I'm bored.  It wasn't horrible, it wasn't an affront to humanity (see Gretchen Season Eight with the Judging from Hell), it's not causing major climate change, but it's making me non excited.  Like I say, lovely lovely man, hope to see more from him in the future, major applause for winning.

Of course I'm going to watch the reunion.  I give this season a lot of kudos for having some nice, normal seeming, level headed, polite people.  With the two exceptions of course.  I think there's going to be some ground control to Major Tim on this show, there was not a lot of happy in that preview.

• Love 15

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/project-runway-season-finale-winner-34-sleeve-puffed-tunic-top/ppr5007469571?badge=new&catId=SearchResults&pTmplType=regular&searchTerm=project+runway+season+finale

This is supposed to be the extreme-deep V top from Kentaro's collection...

1 minute ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

To be clear, Kentaro’s clothing will be adapted for JCPenney, but will it be available in plus sizes? Likely not? That’s what i figured.

Plus-sized models rejoice. 

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/project-runway-season-finale-winner-34-sleeve-puffed-tunic-top-plus/ppr5007527421?badge=new&catId=SearchResults&pTmplType=regular&searchTerm=project+runway+season+finale

Edited by cyberfruit
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, cyberfruit said:

Oh, that’s tragic.

Also, it’s the night of the finale and you have to scroll “below the fold” to find the Project Runway link.  Way to capitalize on whatever you spent to sponsor the show, JCP.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 11
Just now, SpiralRadish said:

I disagree.  She sounds like she's not letting the twins get away with whatever crap they're trying to pull.  She's not yelling or shouting, she just sounds firm and somewhat exasperated to me.

S1 when Vanessa Riley tried to put Wendy Pepper in her place, she turned into the villain herself.  In the clips, Amy sounded like a very stereotypical overworked teacher who should have retired years ago.

3 minutes ago, PhoneCop said:

I hate to say it, but I agree with Sarah and Tara—it's probably time to put PR out to pasture, at least until the talent pool refills in ~10 years and they can afford two-day challenges again. I was pulling for Ayana, I ain't mad at Kentaro...but I also don't care that much. I miss caring.

Well, except that Brandon lost. He has some decent motifs and good silhouettes, but the limited range, the pallid fabric choices, the drop cloth collections...no, no, and no, with a bonus no for the narcotizing voice. Plus, as has been discussed in his own thread, his stuff just looks like demo versions of his girlfriend's superior output. If he shows growth by the time he resurfaces on All-Stars, I'll reassess.

More twin bullshit ahead. Well, bring it on—it's the only thing I'll really remember from this season. When I bother to think of it at all.

The show is the highest rated show on Lifetime and is the highest rated non sports show on Thursday.  Sarah and Tara should know that when you just stop a show, that's the end.  It doesn't come back.  Ten years...yeah, I can see that happening.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

S1 when Vanessa Riley tried to put Wendy Pepper in her place, she turned into the villain herself.  In the clips, Amy sounded like a very stereotypical overworked teacher who should have retired years ago.

Ha I've had that teacher, but Amy would have to be about two decades older and a lot grumpier to be her, it just didn't read that way to me at all in the comercials.  I'm fairly sure (well, hoping, to be honest) the twins will be able to outshine everyone else in terms of...personality, regardless.  Though I noticed a distinct lack of their favorite arch tone that was so present all season and how suddenly they were talking like normal people in the previews.  It'll be...something that's for sure

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, SpiralRadish said:

Also wait....one of the prizes is a trip to Japan.  Does Kentaro really need that lol?

Oh my god his poor, sweet Dad went right off that runway.  And his mom in her gorgeous full kimono seems so sweet.

I loved how after the runway show, Kentaro's Mom was bowing to each of the models.  His whole family is so cute!  :-)

• Love 16
30 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

It also looked like the kind of thing someone would wear to the Grammys.  Not to NY Fashion Week.

What?  You don't think tonight was a history-making, game-changing moment for plus-sized models?  ;)

And is already 50% off.  

and while celebrating women of all sizes the plus size items are at full price

• Love 4

It's all subjective but to me Kentaro was miles ahead of the competition. I disliked both Brandon's and Margarita's equally but Brandon had a ridiculous print and yet was still bland and monochromatic so I guess he falls behind. Now for Ayana. Based on the hideous mess she showed I wish they could retroactively allow Kenya in. 90% of Ayana' stuff made me feel embarrassed for her. The sporty look and gown were were good but the rest were just beyond the pale. Bulky, overdone and poor choice of colour. Wow that was a miss.

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, roctavia said:

Overall, not mad at the finale. I’m not sure who I would have picked, but Kentarobwas a good choice. 

His is pieces were interesting but still nice to look at and he had some actual color. 

Really like Margarita’s collection, it was just so fun and happy. I liked the prints and glitter :)

Brandon’s was so boring... and reminded me of straight jackets and baby bibs. Not interesting or exciting at all.

Ayana’s collection was okay, I did like her final dress a lot, but the rest wasn’t overly memorable, though not as boring as Brandon.

Agree with everything.  Love "straight jackets and baby bibs".  That really does sum up his runway collection.  I was shocked at his monotonous designs and color tonight.  I expected much more.  I felt much the same about Ayana's, although the last dress was stunning.  They both fell short at the very time they should have excelled.  As for Kentaro, I've adored him all season, and loved most, but not all, of his designs this season.  While some of his looks tonight were not my cup of tea, the collection on the whole was interesting and....cohesive, as each piece segued into the next.  He put a lot of thought into that aspect. 

• Love 10

Brandon did not even seem to try for a stand-out piece. He was too in love with his awful print.

I have  to give the reunion show a miss as the twins are no longer allowed on my viewing screen, am done with that mess of a duo.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, weightyghost said:

I find it funny how the judges didn't realize Brandon was doing the same thing all season until he showed 10 same looks back to back. 

He's sort of the classic case of the guy who never got criticized so never changed and then just SHOCKED that he didn't win. That's both on him and the judges.

I don't usually like to see someone hurting physically or emotionally but it pleased me to see Brandon come down to Earth with a THUD!  The judges lulled him into a false sense of security when he sent pretty much the same thing down that runway week after week while they kept heaping the praises (and wins) on him.  I agree with those who commented how casually he behaved (the napping, etc) as if he knew he had all but won.  The best man did win this time!

• Love 22
33 minutes ago, SpiralRadish said:

I disagree.  She sounds like she's not letting the twins get away with whatever crap they're trying to pull.  She's not yelling or shouting, she just sounds firm and somewhat exasperated to me.

Amy sounds like the teacher that she is, when a student is caught cheating (which Claire was....).

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Midnight Cheese said:

I almost feel for Brandon...he is not going to win, and clearly thought he already had.

I loved Ayana's wedding dress and the turban and veil, Margarita's long fish dress and Jazzmine's walk and reveal, and her print - and almost all of Kentaro's collection.

I kind of felt bad for Brandon, too.  The judges had been telling him how awesome he was all season.  I felt like they rarely gave him criticisms so of course he felt like he had it in the bag. 

I also loved Ayana's wedding dress.  That was really something that made me say wow.  It was unexpected, too. 

I was shocked that Kentaro won.  I really did not see that coming - the editors totally fooled me, with Kentaro saying, "Oh I really don't think I won this," and the lack of "cohesion" that the judges said the pieces from the preview had. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, RedheadZombie said:

If his final collection were designed for men, I'm sure it would look almost exactly the same

I think that is actually the point. His aesthetic is androgynous.

• Love 17

I haven't really noticed Jessica's Honest Beauty line, but the lipstick she was applying in her add was gorgeous.

Just re-watched Kentaro's.  He had at least three gorgeous fitted pants.  Very flattering.

1 minute ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I never liked Brandon’s stuff much, but especially disliked the repetitiveness. It drove me nuts how the judges constantly complimented how “fresh”or “innovative” his looks were, even though he did the same thing every time.

In the end, though, while I’m thrilled he didn’t win and I’m very glad for Kentaro, the judges kinda really screwed Brandon. They (and Tim) stroked his ego, filled his head, barely gave him an ounce of criticism, and then didn’t give him the win because...he did exactly what he’s been doing all season? Don’t get me wrong, Brandon should be able to recognize that using his kitschy print on practically every piece isn’t a great idea on his own, but still. I felt a little sympathy for that THUD because it was almost like the judges tripped him. 

It was like Brandon thought it was an unconventional challenge.  I used couch material!  Ain't I clever?  

As you said, he never received criticism of his designs.  I think their problem was the pattern, which was totally on him.  I wonder how the fabric actually felt.

• Love 9

Margarite's was my favorite.  I think the others overall were boring and bland. 

Glad Brandon lost.  If he would have gotten one criticism in the season, maybe he wouldn't have started bawling at the end.  He was sure he had it in the bag, but I don't blame him since he got tongue-bathed all season.  Constructive criticism is a good thing.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

Brandon thought he won, hence the tears of shock. I don't blame him for being shocked. The judges have been kissing his ass all season. 

As a longtime Survivor watcher, I know that when someone's confident enough to take a nap (or sit out a challenge, eat a meal, etc.) while others compete, they're toast.   I thought about that the instant they showed Brandon sleeping.

• Love 10

I'll have more thoughts later, but sweet Mother of Fuck, the adaptations of Kentaro's collection for JC Penney are hideous. Beyond hideous. It's almost like they are trying to kill his career before it even gets off the ground.

I can't get the link to show the correct photo, but the blush PLEATHER legging pants which are somehow baggy in the crotch without being even close to a drop crotch. It's like someone could stuff a couple of strap-ons in there.

The rose gold sequin pants for all your 1987 streetwalking needs.

Kentaro's collection surprised me, but had a few struggles, but he's a sweet man who deserves better than what they've done.

• Love 20

It was cruel of the judges to lead Brandon on the way they did, as they did so in an unprecedented way all season long. Maybe they really expected him to have the winning collection but they did see a preview and seemed to fawn over that too. Either it was all BS or they thought he would have the sense to "wow" it up a bit, though he was never encouraged to do anything different all season long.

• Love 15
34 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

She was also very creative with the folding and wrapping of the models' hijabs.  The one in her final look, with the veil coming out was gorgeous.  To me, it was very reminiscent of Vermeer's painting "Girl With a Pearl Earring"

Yes, I forgot about her hijabs and how lovely they were. Too bad the dresses mostly didnt rise to that level.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Michichick said:

Heidi's dress looked cheap and tacky, and it made her boobs look saggy. Not at all flattering.

I was sooo distracted by Heidi’s dress I could barely pay attention to anything else.

It was a collection of “don’t”s:  terrible fabric, ill fitting, unflattering, “too many ideas” (plunging neckline, peplum, giant bow, vulgar color).  Ugh!!  Not that I ever gave too much weight to Heidi’s expertise, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to unsee her in that dress and will forever roll my eyes when she offers an opinion.

Yay Kentaro (it did seem like fashion) and I literally went back to Candy Crush during Brandon’s Show, talk about monotonous.

• Love 10

Heidi's dress reminded me of Riff Raff at the end of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. At least shape wise and proportions.

A WHOLE lot of Margarita talking about wanting it. I think its just because everyone else left weren't all that talkative. Dead cat talk aside.And the magic word "cohesive".

• Love 4

Ayana's last dress was everything. Just beautiful  I liked her collection a lot, after the first 3 looks which I hated.  The hijabs were gorgeous.Brandon's shapes are interesting but he blew it with that palette. I would not wear anything of Margarita's.  I really think it was between Ayana and Kentaro. I loved his music and the whole mood and drama of his show. He told his story and in perfect sequence.  I'm glad he won.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Bebecat said:

I like Kentaro's more than I expected. But am kind of over this whole damn season. After Ashley won, my interest level went way, way down.

My daughter has flat out refused to watch since Ashley's win, and she's the one who got me onto it way back in the Chloe season.  I didn't like that Ashley won, but apparently I'm addicted.  :-/  Overall I did like this season better than last, have to say.  

34 minutes ago, Bebecat said:

It was cruel of the judges to lead Brandon on the way they did, as they did so in an unprecedented way all season long. Maybe they really expected him to have the winning collection but they did see a preview and seemed to fawn over that too. Either it was all BS or they thought he would have the sense to "wow" it up a bit, though he was never encouraged to do anything different all season long.

I've been thinking that all evening - they really did him such a disservice by never commenting on how repetitive he had become.   The only negative feedback I can remember him ever getting was last week about the top that was so awful on Liris.  They all but said he had it in the bag, and I can't be surprised at his belief that the win was already his.  I wasn't much of a fan of his look, but they gave him Gretchen-level praise every week.  Poor guy.  

• Love 13

Nobody blew me away, so I didn’t care who won. As for what I thought of the collections:

Margarita – It was OK, but it did look like resort wear. I’m not sure I can imagine someone walking around New York in one of those outfits.

Brandon – It all looked the same, & it all looked exactly like the things he’s designed all season.

Kentaro – It was odd – the first dress looked like a shower puff. The only outfit I really liked was the one that, of course, the judges didn’t. I can't believe that a "version" of his collection is being sold at JC Penney LOL. 

Ayana – A lot of it looked the same, but the last dress was pretty amazing

Edited by GaT
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, gingerormaryann said:

Again, Liris didn't sell anything but herself.  Nothing about the designer or clothes but just about plus size models. 

You have to give it to her -- Liris does know how to sell herself! I give her props for that! 

• Love 7

What a shocker!!! Brandon didn't win!!   What I found interesting was that the judges said that he had a variety of silhouettes  but they all looked the same to me.  Crop tops or long tops, some looking like big pieces of bulletin board paper.  Then saying the color palette was the same all the way through without a wow piece.  His explanation was something like that in a 60 piece collection, 10 would have the same style/color/pattern and the next ten would be different.  The judges said "But you only had ten looks and should have had a wow look."    He was just cocky about having it in the bag - hence the nap he took.  Even the other designers thought he had.  One of them even commented on why he could take a nap, because he was going to win.

I was surprised by Margarita's.  It was very colorful, bright, and fun.  Although there were only two or three that I would have. The judges were right - it was happy.

Anyana's pieces, I liked the majority of them (the two prairie dresses not so much).  And that final gown - It was beautiful to me.  I really thought she would win.

Kentaro's collection really was cohesive in the best sense of the word.  One piece flowed into the other, leading to a wonderful conclusion.  Although, some of the outfits were not my cup of tea, they were unique and gave his point of view.

And even though I was rooting for Ayana, I'm glad for Kentaro.

• Love 13