Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E13: Finale, Part 1

Drogo
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Real4real said:

This!  Then we would have gotten to see Margarita's collection designed around the gold rings!  I was so sad that Tim talked her out of using them--so sad!  I totally needed to hear what Zac and Nina would have said about that collection!

I was trying to include both quotes...I found it ironic that the suggestion Tim made to Kenya about using the duster over the black coast was one of the things Zac criticized, although whether covered or not, that dress was a disaster. I wish Tim would just let them show what they want and get assessed for themselves, not his version of them.

• Love 9

While I understand the purpose of having a cohesive collection, I dislike when the designers send out what looks like ten of the same thing or when the element that ties the collection together is using the same color or material over and over. To be honest, I'd rather see a collection like Kentaro's that has a bunch of different stuff.

Man, seeing the chryon that said Tim's visit to Puerto Rico took place six weeks before Hurricane Maria made me so sad. Knowing that this beautiful vibrant place has been devastated and that most of the people there still don't have electricity or power was really sobering.

It was nice to see the final five being so complimentary of each other's collections in their talking heads.

I hated Brandon's flamingo print. I also hated the top he put on Liris. It was SO unflattering on her, especially when paired with those pants. The top looked poorly constructed, like something a kid who just learned how to sew would make. The skirt on his other model looked like a shapeless bib. All the things he said he wanted his collection to be (fun, flirty, sexy, and cute), I didn't see. It looked like Maria from the Sound of Music repurposed tacky curtains from a cheap motel in Florida for the Von Trapp kids and she added a bunch of dangly straps in case she needed to tie them to trees to keep them from running off.

Once again, Kenya is unable to express herself clearly on the runway. Heidi asked what her inspiration was and why she selected these two looks, which was her chance to really sell her vision. Instead, all she said was, "I made this collection that was vacation, dreamy, and a little bit business at the same time and I chose these two pieces because I think these two ladies look classic and chic and sophisticated and polished and that's what I like." That is a word for word quote.

I'm glad Ayana ended up listening to Tim and showing the judges the non-dress designs. If she had shown those two dresses, it would have been more of what she's already shown all season.

Kentaro's pink/peach/flesh colored look was a good choice. It looked expensive and sophisticated. His white outfit was not great. I was surprised that the judges didn't accuse him of copying Brendon again because there was a strap or ribbon hanging somewhere. I hated the black loofah/tutu underneath one side of the skirt. But Kentaro did make me laugh, first with his dead cat story (although to be fair, it was more Tim's stunned silence that cracked me up) and later when he told the other designers, "We were supposed to make ten looks? I only made eight!"

I was annoyed when Heidi repeatedly told Margarita to make sure her collection wasn't too Miami and to remember that it was New York fashion week, not Miami fashion week. Not everything shown at NYFW has to look like New York. Besides, Heidi was totally fine with Brandon's Golden Girls collection. Hell, they crowned Anya the winner when all she did was floaty print resort dresses.

I was cracking up at the giant Heidi screen because it was just so ridiculous.

I know that every season the judges ask the designers why they should go to fashion week, but I feel like it shouldn't matter what they say in response. If the clothes are good but their answer is terrible, they shouldn't be eliminated. If the clothes are terrible but their answer is good, they shouldn't be sent to fashion week. All that should matter is how good their pieces are. That said, Kenya and Kentaro both had terrible answers. Kenya: "I just really want to go." Okay, you and everyone else. So what? Just because you want to go doesn't mean you SHOULD go. This is your last chance to convince them that you're a talented designer with a unique point of view who will wow them with your collection!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 22
8 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

I know Uniqlo did a collection of modest wear maybe a year or two ago, just as they were pushing into the American market. Yes, the designer was a Muslim woman, but she was of British-Japanese descent. Orthodox Jews, from my experience, dress modesty as well as middle to upper income Nigerian women. There is also a growing movement for modest wear here in the U.S. amongst AfAm women, despite what you might see on IG. 

She's also in Salt Lake City, where girls are taught that "modest is hottest."

• Love 4

I did not have the impression that Tim was saying Kenya should drape the dress with the sheer pearly thing. I thought he was not so much styling the look, but inspiring/prodding her to change it with some of her other ideas of fabric and color, maybe layered over a black base as a part of its construction.

Fwiw, I bet they pick Ayana for the win. She's had some good variety of good looks, but more important to them will be a buzzword in the press about modesty in fashion. Didn't Zac call Brandon's stuff something like, "moments of brilliance"? The edit all season feels like a setup for The Great Upset Win given to Ayana.

• Love 5

Kentaro unfortunately has a very similar vibe to a contestant on Bravo's old show "Top Design".  He was also an Asian, Wisit, and he said he was a fashion designer and singer.  After he was dismissed from the competition, he sang a song.  There's a clip on Bravo but I didn't include it.  Seek it out at our own risk.

I agree that Kentaro has a problem with the concept of "cohesiveness".  When Tim tells you that your collection looks like three different collections, that's your clue to make some changes but he did nothing to unify everything except that grotesque styling.

• Love 6

I think Heidi wasn't in NY because she judges on that other talent show & probably had to be in LA to film it live.

I like Brandon.  Brandon has done some nice work.  Brandon has to stop with the crop tops and the layered apron look.

I thought it was a very unfair justification for the judges to ding Kenya for her color palette when you have Brandon in the same, Kentaro dipping his toe into the same and Ayana's two looks being colorless -- let alone her all drab collection yet to come.

Not only did Margarita drag the twins some more in this episode, if we're picking nits her blue top was a very close cousin to the tops that Shawn put out there, closer than Shawn's "copying" of Margarita's winning shirtdress IMO. 

End of the day I expect another agenda driven win, this time a salute to the modest market. 

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Lol at the dead cat story and bad piano playing. And Kentaro's family thinking that Heidi looks like the late Princess Di. 

Kentaro's home visit was definitely unique.  As he was playing the piano (were those intentional accidentals, or was he hitting the wrong keys?), all I could think of was, "If this music is for his portion of the runway show, those models are going to be walking really slow."  Sounded like a funeral march.

Dead cat story:  Tim "pondered" what to say for several extra seconds.  As in, "How in the world am I supposed to respond to that without laughing out loud?"

Princess Di discussion:  There used to be (haven't heard it in years) an opinion among some caucasians that all black people looked alike and/or all oriental people looked alike.  I cracked up at the reverse idea that to some oriental people, all blonde caucasians look alike.  I guess people are the same wherever they are.

• Love 16

I actually liked Margarita's collection. I liked the colors and risk. At least, I liked hers much better than Brandon's. Then again, I've never gotten his aesthetic and just figured that I wasn't fashion-forward enough to appreciate it. 

• Love 17

I just watched and found myself really stressing over who would be sent home.  I seriously hoped they would allow all 5 to show.

I know I'm in the minority but I absolutely loved Margarita's.  It was everything she tried to convey--her love of PR, the glitter, the over-the-top-ness of it all.  The last-minute shorts were ill-fitting and I was a little worried for her but happy that I get to see her whole collection.  And again, I'm highly annoyed that Heidi keeps insisting that everything has to be "New York."  Ummmm, everyone doesn't think NYC is the center of the universe, even if you do, Heidi.

Kentaro's styling was questionable.  I hope he changes that for Fashion Week.

I loved Ayana's even though I can't get onboard with the idea that half her models will wear hijab.  But I loved both looks that she showed this week---even with the jacket that was a throwback to Members Only.

• Love 13

The problem I found with Kenya's color palette v. Brandon's is that Kenya's pink looked yellowed, tea-stained. I think part of it was the fabric choice. I think someone upthread actually called that cover up for the black dress "yellow." Everything about her looks looked both aging and old, as if they'd been poorly stored in an attic and had yellowed with age.

(Just an aside, I hate every embellished tea-stained gown that has ever walked a runway. Yes, I'm talking about YOU, Nicole Kidman and Keira Knightly.)

Brandon is already designing for Imagine Dragons. That's his market. Young, urban, hip. He's not making career-wear or Oscar dresses. He's going to do extremely well because his stuff is so interesting and amazing.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

Kenya's looks were awful and though I like her and think that her being able to design for real women's bodies is a great thing - she deserved to go - but not as much as Margarita did.

Maybe the chose Margarita over Kenya because they needed at least one collection with some color.  Dear God, the drab colors in at least Brendan's and Ayana's are going to be so boring.  Especially Brandon's--all the matching is driving me crazy.  I kept saying "Add a third color!  Even if it's just an accent color here and there!"  But, no, just shades of pink and peach. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While I understand the purpose of having a cohesive collection, I dislike when the designers send out what looks like ten of the same thing or when the element that ties the collection together is using the same color or material over and over. To be honest, I'd rather see a collection like Kentaro's that has a bunch of different stuff.

Sometimes I wish I could see one that has a minimal amount of cohesiveness (maybe a color scheme) and just put out there what you want. 

So, I saw a lot of "Golden Girls" stuff on the show--especially with the colors, so I'm disappointed.  I'm looking forward to seeing Kentaro's even if it isn't cohesive because I want to see some of the looks that weren't showcased on this episode, but looked really cool in his work room.  However,  given what they said to him and how he answered them, I'm surprised they kept him.

I think Margarita would have done better to choose two solid colors from her print and made most of the clothes out of those colors with the print being in just a few looks throughout.  All I saw with her collection was 80s, but not the real 80s-the 80s that you see now in comedy flash backs episodes where they are putting emphasis on how crazy and bright  the clothing was. 

Brandon's clothes looked better on the models than on the rack, but barely.  I didn't hate his stuff this season.  I think it's the color palette and the hooks that are killing it for me. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I guess I just don't know what the "modesty" market is, outside of the Muslim community.  

The first time the back of my arm jiggled, I knew it was time for modesty fashion.  Le sigh.

(But maybe it was bound to happen anyway--I still can't believe how Kim Kardashian loves to emphasize her unnaturally large ass.)

28 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

End of the day I expect another agenda driven win, this time a salute to the modest market. 

I'd like to see Ayana declared the winner, but I think the above sentiment will rule that out.  The producers won't want to be seen as automatically crowning the "niche" designer.  Ashley was a mistake that continues to ripple.

I tuned in at the one-hour mark and was thrilled to find I'd missed all that "home visit" mess.  I'm a little intrigued by the cat story, but, nah, not worth it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Kudos to production for giving us relatively sane contestants, once the insufferable twins were gone, and no nasty fighting. I enjoyed this season more than many of the previous ones. And even if I don't like certain aesthetics, we have real designers in the competition.

I laughed when Brandon asked Kentaro to help him and Margarita started "Shawneee"  "Claire"....

• Love 23
7 hours ago, millennium said:

I wouldn't be caught dead in any of Brandon's outfits -- at any age.   Isn't this the part where he places flowerpots on the models' heads to get the win?

I think he knows he has the win in his pocket and doesn't need another gimmick  The strings are enough.

4 hours ago, dwarmed said:

Brandon’s print looked like it belonged in a medical office.

So, that could account for that huge upside-down ruffle at Liris' waist.  It's to hold dental supplies, then again, maybe it's spit cup.

• Love 7

Love to Kenya!  I think she is one of my most favorite contestants ever on the show.  I agree that her work isn't fashion forward, but it's very pretty and stuff normal women (although not young women) would wear, IMO.   I agree with Zach that she gets the female form and knows how to make things fit and look good at the same time.  And like it or not, temperment and personality matter. She has a really great spirit and attitude.

I think its a safe bet that the final runway will come down to Ayana and Brandon (with Ayana taking it - a bait and switch Project Runway move), but wouldn't it be awesome if Kentaro had a come-from-behind moment?  When Kentaro is good, he's very, very good.   A full runway of his good stuff would be amazing. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, candall said:

The first time the back of my arm jiggled, I knew it was time for modesty fashion.  Le sigh.

(But maybe it was bound to happen anyway--I still can't believe how Kim Kardashian loves to emphasize her unnaturally large ass.)

I'd like to see Ayana declared the winner, but I think the above sentiment will rule that out.  The producers won't want to be seen as automatically crowning the "niche" designer.  Ashley was a mistake that continues to ripple.

I tuned in at the one-hour mark and was thrilled to find I'd missed all that "home visit" mess.  I'm a little intrigued by the cat story, but, nah, not worth it.

I agree we're all not 21 and skinny so there is definitely a market for modest dress. And if you recorded it the cat remark was at 25 minutes - i wrote that down because it was the best part of the show!

• Love 10

Ayana is really really lucky that she went with those two outfits and not the sister wives dresses.  I wonder how many polyg outfits she has in her collection?  It’s probab pre-ordained that Brandon will win the contest, but it will be stuff like the sister wives dresses that helps to assure his win  

Brandon should have received more grief for that outfit he put Lyris in.  Hideous. Completely unflattering on a woman with curves.  Sloppy, too.  His better outfit is pretty much a clone of his usual work.  

Kentaro is flailing around, isn’t he?  The peach dress was lovely.  I hope the rest of his collection has more in common with that outfit than the white one.  I was really hoping he’d stretch a bit for the runway show, but like his brother he looks to have stayed tightly in his well worn lane.  

Margarita.  I don’t understand the judges love of her work.  The bell bottom outfit was nice, but something that’s been done and done again over and over.  It was fine, not great. Those shorts and bodysuit were hideous.  The bomber jacket looks like something straight off the sale rack at Charlotte Russe.    She should have gone home.  

Kenya for the most part makes dresses to be worn to church.  I see those dresses every single Sunday.   The black dress had significant problems around the bust.  The cut wasn’t flattering and it looked like the model was going to bounce out as she walked.  

11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I guess I just don't know what the "modesty" market is, outside of the Muslim community.  

She lives in Utah.  There are plenty of women there in Mormon communities (and the splinter groups) who keep covered up to varying degrees. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I can't get behind Ayana's modesty fashion because I don't like the political and religious message behind it. Too many men down through the years telling women to cover their bodies.

Same here.  Zak's suggestion to make a modern hijab came at zero hour.  I wish that had been mentioned earlier because I would like to see that.  

25 minutes ago, candall said:

HA!  I wear long sleeves now and I live in the fucking desert!  

21 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I know I'm in the minority but I absolutely loved Margarita's.  It was everything she tried to convey--her love of PR, the glitter, the over-the-top-ness of it all.  The last-minute shorts were ill-fitting and I was a little worried for her but happy that I get to see her whole collection.  And again, I'm highly annoyed that Heidi keeps insisting that everything has to be "New York."  Ummmm, everyone doesn't think NYC is the center of the universe, even if you do, Heidi.

I liked her collection for what it was, too.  Her fabric was phenomenal, I was impressed.  She made it!  It was not NYC street but since when is that the mission?  Uli did a collection that worked in Miami where she lived,  Laura did cocktail dresses, to name 2 of many who did not do street.   

• Love 13

I would not be surprised if they gave Ayana the win in the same vein they crowned Ashley #1.  A vote for a different culture more than the clothing.  But I don't think they will.  Maybe had she done all modern looks like the ones she chose to show she would have a shot.  

Brandon will win.  I have loved his clothes all season but I was disappointed in his final collection.  I was hoping to see something a little different but still sticking with his style.  I do love the flamingos but not on every look.  

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Same here.  Zak's suggestion to make a modern hijab came at zero hour.  I wish that had been mentioned earlier because I would like to see that.  

HA!  I wear long sleeves now and I live in the fucking desert!  

I liked her collection for what it was, too.  Her fabric was phenomenal, I was impressed.  She made it!  It was not NYC street but since when is that the mission?  Uli did a collection that worked in Miami where she lived,  Laura did cocktail dresses, to name 2 of many who did not do street.   

Probably one of the best seasons of Project Runway, ever!!!  I loved everything that Uli and Laura did, but they both ultimately lost to Jeffrey, who's aesthetic was definitely more "street" (and not my favorite, but I guess I'm boring and not fashion-forward).

• Love 15
15 minutes ago, AudreyHorne said:

I  loved the effect that the color remover had on Brandon's flamingo print.  I thought it gave it depth and complexity which are not the first things you think of when you think about pink flamingos.  I totally agreed with him that the pattern was interesting in that it's flamingos but kind of not because it had some abstraction.  Would I wear that pattern in any way, shape or form?  No f-ing way!  But I try to judge beyond my personal taste. 

The one one thing I thought would have helped Brandon's collection immensely is less cohesion.  Like maybe just do a flamingo lining on a jacket in one outfit or something.  There wasn't much else besides flamingos.

* I believe in my 43 years this is the most I've ever typed "flamingo" in one day ?!

I agree 100% with everything, especially the bold.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Today I'm wearing a mock turtleneck with long sleeves and trousers. I don't think of today's outfit as "modest" as much as I think of it as "weather appropriate." I have many long sleeve items in my closet. It's not about being modest as much as it's about having a variety of looks. I love the idea that there are designers out there making clothes that can easily be translated into wearable everyday items, rather than sternum-baring tops and sheer skirts. It's not that I'm modest. It's that those kinds of looks are wholly inappropriate for regular day wear.

Yes, a thousand times yes!  I shouldn't be, but I'm irked by the naming of clothes as modest.  There have always been women who dress more provocatively than others, yet I don't see a fashion category called immodest.  There have always been women who want a more covered wedding gown than others for example, whether for religious reasons or simply personal preference.  It's a reflection on current societal trends to label every.damn.thing.

• Love 19
14 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Kudos to production for giving us relatively sane contestants, once the insufferable twins were gone, and no nasty fighting. I enjoyed this season more than many of the previous ones. And even if I don't like certain aesthetics, we have real designers in the competition.

I suspect Tim is suffering from a malaise. Several seasons ago I noticed shaky hands and now he has fallen a couple times. He has said that he lives alone and I hope someone is looking out for him. That said, he hasn't lost The Tim Gunn Thinker Pose, in which he shoots his cuffs, folds his arms, brings his hand to his lips, and frowns. It signals that the thunder is coming. "Can I just be blunt...."

Kenya's looks reminded me of church ladies. On Easter Sunday when they wear their very best outfits. Plus she has little confidence and defaults to victimization as part of her campaign to win. It was time for her to go. I think she was very angry upon learning that she was going home. She showed that tight-faced anger a previous time when she thought she was going home. I don't think she was trying not to cry; I think she was furious.

Kentaro, the piano and the dead cat were hilarious, like an SNL skit or a Christopher Guest movie. He is one of my favorite PR contestants ever. ETA: I liked what I could see of his collection during the home visit. I think the black net pouf on his white dress was an effort to be cohesive; there were black net and pleats in other looks the judges didn't see.

I also like Brandon very much, but I could never wear his stuff. I think he's playing a very strategic game. Apparently the girlfriend is a bit bossy.

Margarita should thank her lucky stars that Tim warned her away from the 70s crochet-and-gold-rings motif.

I can't get behind Ayana's modesty fashion because I don't like the political and religious message behind it. Too many men down through the years telling women to cover their bodies.

The timing of the virtual Heidi appearance was very odd. I bet there's a story there.

I also enjoyed this season with minimal in-fighting (although I didn't mind the twins as much as most).   

Second the Kentaro love.

I like what Margarita aims to do, but she doesn't quite get there, IMO.  Of her two looks, each had something great - bell bottoms on one and the bomber jacket on the other - but the other halves of the outfits weren't so hot.  I think she's a lot like the twins in that she can maybe do one piece really well but maybe not a whole outfit.

I was wondering about the bandaid on Tim's forehead in a recent episode.  I didn't realize he has been sick/falling :(

Heidi's virtual moment was upsetting to me.  I thought it was completely disrespectful to all involved that she wasn't there in person.  I thought it made a joke of the show - including the judges and contestants.

I'm down for diversity - and in fact I tutor for ESL and have many Muslims in my class who wear hijabs, but I can't get behind any custom (religious or otherwise) that puts constraints on anyone else - and in this case, women*. I posted above I think Ayana will take the win, but now that I think about it, maybe not.  It's a sensitive issue and one that might not bode well in ultra-liberal fashion world.  You never, know though.  Women have to continue the fight, IMO.  We are still second-class in the minds of most.

I also think the phrase "modest market" isn't fully accurate to what what Ayana is putting out there.   Her intent is partially in that direction but not fully.  It starts with the hijab and the cultural and religious underpinnings of the belief that women should hide their bodies- even the non-sexual parts, e.g. the head!

* One of the reasons I like tutoring is that many students are women and I like empowering them.  

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 10

I have to say, I don't like any of the designers collections at this point. Maybe, when I see the full presentation next week I'll change my mind, but right now, I can't see any of them becoming notable once they leave the show, the way Christian Siriano has.

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I could just imagine the discussion in the break room at Walmart.  "I can't believe it.  Some guy in a bun came in and bought ALL of the leftover flamingo fabric in the $1 per yard bin.  And he asked if we had any more because he was creating a 'collection' for a TV show.  Yeah, right."

LOLOLOL.  Too funny.  Even his girlfriend said he was working with a print that she would never touch.  And when we first saw it, my eyes widened and I was thinking, "He can't be serious!"  But he was.  And Tim said he loved it.  Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmm."  I will give him this---the treatment he did to lighten the colors did make for interesting contrast.  

I love that Kentaro is sticking to his guns and didn't fall into a trap of sending the same item down the runway.  He does much better when he sticks to his convictions and not random advice.

I just love, love, love Kenya's spirit.  Her family was lovely and I think we got to see that her nervousness and tears on the runway were never contrived--that's who she really is.  I really hope her business takes off, Project Runway win or not.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
12 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

The modesty market is huge, overseas, and not necessarily amongst Muslims. 

Overseas where?  Just asking.

Utah. I also hear there are still a few modest Christian women, et al left around the world. LOL.

• Love 3

There are lots of modest women who adhere to religious restrictions about clothing, hair and makeup. Think Duggars and all the folks who follow their tenets. In the mid-Atlantic I see Amish and Mennonite women who dress modestly. In the conservative American south there are women who don't cut their hair or wear makeup, and they wear longish skirts and dresses that are covered at the neck. Ironically, some of the people in these examples will discriminate against Ayana because she's Muslim.

I think Kentaro may win. His clothes are more beautiful than Brandon's. PR may be afraid to award to a Muslim woman who wears a hajib, given the currently nasty political rhetoric all over the media.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, dwarmed said:

I’ve never seen such a vivid thought bubble next to Tim’s face as I did after Kentaro’s cat story. It said, ‘Get me the fuck out of here.’ 

Doesn't picking up and burying a dead cat guarantee a trip to the rabies ward for 14 injections in the stomach?

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, AudreyHorne said:

I think Kentaro is going to win this.  It's super-easy to change the styling and I really think that what I saw of his collection had the best "architecture" and design to it.  He'll figure it out.  I have no doubt.

I loved the effect that the color remover had on Brandon's flamingo print.  I thought it gave it depth and complexity which are not the first things you think of when you think about pink flamingos.  I totally agreed with him that the pattern was interesting in that it's flamingos but kind of not because it had some abstraction.  Would I wear that pattern in any way, shape or form?  No f-ing way!  But I try to judge beyond my personal taste. 

The one one thing I thought would have helped Brandon's collection immensely is less cohesion.  Like maybe just do a flamingo lining on a jacket in one outfit or something.  There wasn't much else besides flamingos.

* I believe in my 43 years this is the most I've ever typed "flamingo" in one day ?!

I think with Brandon, this is a case of him letting the fabric do all the work.  Sure, he bleached some of it out and that process slightly changed the pattern, but it's still all flamingos.  Other than that, it is just more of the same thing he has been sending down the runway all season.  I get that is his aesthetic, and his style, but so much of the same, over and over again.  

He will have an audience and I can see that and accept that, but I would like to see him venture out of his comfort zone and do something a little different.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, zoemom said:

she definitely wasn't keeping any of the "New York woman on the street (other than a streetwalker) vibe" they kept urging her to design for. 

This is a major bother for me...that the judges live in that New Yorker cover where the world ends just west of Manhattan.

viewoftheworldfrom9thavenue.gif

Houston is close to surpassing Chicago as the third largest city in this country, LA is second.  The population that wears bright clothes is growing, and they have large closets and can afford to fill them.
In hotter climates dark clothes are uncomfortable, sunlight hits them and they hold the heat.  

This is Project Runway.  Not Project New York Runway.  At least, I think Heidi who seldom dresses "New York" Mother and Professional shouldn't be the one to define what is and isn't good. 

• Love 12

Party of one (maybe Two) I like Margaritas collection. She lives in a tropical paradise (or did anyway) and she is influenced by that. Also thought her clothes would sparkle on the runway! Not everyone  wants to look "New York" some people like color, sequins, LIFE in their clothes.

Now having said that, I liked the cover up over the black dress. But I would have pearly high heels that matched it and a fabulous necklace. And a bra. 

Never did care for the girl who got aufed. She was always too weepy and stressed out for me.

LOVED Brandon's flamingos. As a textile person I was loving the color remover idea to give that print life and depth. Of course I have huge flamingos on my shower doors so there is that....

Kento pink dress with that gorgeous top was everything! Love, love, love. The white one? Not so much. Looked like a giant goiter on her side. 

"Modest" clothing is getting on my nerves. What the hell is NOT modest? Showing your arms? Your knees? Your elbows? Not saying I'd walk down the street naked but I live in a beach resort and it is HOT and HUMID. I'm 59 and I wear tank tops and shorts all summer. I'm not roasting because my arms jiggle. Screw that. I'm all for COMFORT.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Brandon is already designing for Imagine Dragons. That's his market. Young, urban, hip. He's not making career-wear or Oscar dresses. He's going to do extremely well because his stuff is so interesting and amazing.

Absolutely. He's aiming at a niche market in that sense, but it's a big niche and he's hitting it dead on.

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

it makes me think we are judging other women who aren't covered from head to toe as being somehow loose. I know that's not what is meant, but it does make me grit my teeth.

Oh, it does me too.  The implication is that a woman who *doesn't* cover her arms or legs is somehow *immodest.* I feel like we should have moved past those labels. I don't know what else you could call Ayana's aesthetic, though.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, bourbon said:

Oh, it does me too.  The implication is that a woman who *doesn't* cover her arms or legs is somehow *immodest.* I feel like we should have moved past those labels. I don't know what else you could call Ayana's aesthetic, though.

CLothes?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

Probably one of the best seasons of Project Runway, ever!!!  I loved everything that Uli and Laura did, but they both ultimately lost to Jeffrey, who's aesthetic was definitely more "street" (and not my favorite, but I guess I'm boring and not fashion-forward).

I liked Jeff's collection a lot.  Was Ashley's collection street?  I will answer that for you.  Hell no!   Well parade floats are in the street, so there is that.  

19 minutes ago, bourbon said:

Muslim because that is what it is and who it is designed for.  

• Love 5

I don't take umbrage at Heid's "It's NYFW not Miami". I think if Proj Run was based in Europe, Heidi would have said "It's Milan, Paris, or London Fashion Week", those are fashion capitals. The show ends at New Yawk Fashion Week, hence the reference. Ayana could have done an all modest collection and won the "Salt Lake" Fashion  Week; Uli got many "Miami/Club Med" comments when she showed at Fern Mallis' Fashion Week on an earlier ProjRun. And all the shorts, and suspenders/straps this season narrowly missed triggering Heidi's "Oktober Fest" rant.

Edited by Eulipian 5k
Context added
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I agree.  He is already established in men's wear and there is a buzz in the fashion world about him.   

30 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

I think if Proj Run was based in Europe, Heidi would have said "It's Milan, Paris, or London Fashion Week", those are fashion capitals. The show ends at New Yawk Fashion Week, hence the reference. Ayana could have done an all modest collection and won the "Salt Lake" Fashion  Week; Uli got many "Miami/Club Med" comments when she showed at Fern Mallis' Fashion Week on an earlier ProjRun. And all the shorts, and suspenders/straps this season narrowly missed triggering Heidi's "Oktober Fest" rant.

New York fashion week is not limited to NYC street wear.  Famous designers show their collections.  Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Tom Ford, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, Very Wang, Betsy Johnson,  Diane von Furstenberg, Badgley Mischka, Monique Lhuillier, Carolina Herrera, Ralph Lauren, I could go on but I will stop here.  :>)

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Utah. I also hear there are still a few modest Christian women, et al left around the world. LOL.

RE: Utah.  I was in SLC about 10 or 15 years years ago and went to Nordstrom’s to buy something I’d forgotten to bring.  I was pretty fascinated by the huge difference in clothing and shoe selections there, compared to LA, where I live.  There is definitely a market for more conservative clothing internationally, as well as in the US.  

I don’t see Ayana’s clothes as being only for Muslims at all.  I was surprised at Zacs suggestion to try to be careful with the “hajib” part of her collection so that it is more subtle and creative.  I didn’t notice a hajib in much of anything she showed  

It looks to me like Heidi’s had lip filler, at least on her upper lip, and veneers...ugh.  Too white teeth. She’s been wearing sparkly eye shadow, a LOT of it this year.  To me she is so beautiful in her more natural state.  A friend of mine pointed out that her much-younger boyfriend has been cheating publicly with much younger women, so she is probably feeling insecure and wants to look more va-va-voom.  

I hope not.  She is stunning, naturally.  

Edited by LisainCali
Erased complete sentence...
  • Love 3