Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E13: Finale, Part 1

Drogo
  • Start Topic

22 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Heidi very obviously got her lips done.  Check out her top lip.

I noticed that too - at least she still looks good!

I thought for sure Kentaro was taking himself out when he started talking about not being ready. And hoping to prove himself in the next hours made no sense. Maybe he was still thinking about the dead cat. But I'm glad he's still in. I just don't think Margarita should be showing. Her stuff is tacky to me.

• Love 18

Heidi is so excited about the finale she decided to Skype her judging. Even D'Andra on Real Housewives of Dallas had a robot version of her at a gathering. Though, I wanted to see someone carry Flat Screen Heidi to closely examine the garments.

I also wanted to see Tim's bandage get progressively bigger at each hometown visit. 

Margarita has a future designing for drag queens.

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I loved Ayana's first look. The top on the second look looked matronly. 

I liked Kentaro's nude look. The second one was weird. The top looked like a big tumor or something on the side. 

Kenya needs to jack up the front of the black dress if that model is going to wear that. I liked the robe with the second look even though the judges didn't. 

Both of Margarita's designs looked costumey. 

All season Brandons designs were so street and then he does flamingoes, I don't get it. I did like the first look design, not the second one though. 

Poor Kenya, her designs weren't very good but she seemed like a sweetheart. Kentaro got lucky. I hate when they say three people will go to FW and then change their minds and pick four. 

To be fair, they said at least three would be going to Fashion Week.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, DasFlavorPup said:

Kenya - regrettable, but it was time.  Maybe not before Margarita, but Margarita's not winning this anyway. 

And if she does... well, my TV is getting old anyway, and I'm sure it will make a glorious crash when it hits the driveway after I hurl it out my window.

I agree about Kenya. I love her personality, and she did some beautiful work this season, but her looks tonight were just uninspired.

But I'm beginning to think that Margarita is going to win. Something about the judges' reactions to her looks tonight made me think she's getting the redemption/winner edit. With Brandon's outfits looking kind of washed out and Kentaro being inconsistent, I can really see the judges rewarding Margarita for her "bold vision." Even though that shorts outfit was truly ghastly.

I'm kind of rooting for Ayana at this point. Her looks are unusual, in a good way, and some are really beautiful despite the drab palette.

• Love 12

I'm scared that Margarita is going to win now. I didn't mind her bell bottom pants, but the rest is just too bright. I hope her family and home are Ok. Why did Kentaro change his story on the runway and not talk about music? I wonder if there is still a bit of a language barrier and he doesn't quite understand everything. I still hope Brandon wins, but i didn't get his pattern at all. Anya has some nice pieces, but some of the ruffle dresses are really ugly.

I like Kenya and liked her designs kind of, but they are not fashionable and/or new. She would never win with her collection, although it is clear she worked hard on it.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
27 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Poor Kenya, her designs weren't very good but she seemed like a sweetheart. Kentaro got lucky. I hate when they say three people will go to FW and then change their minds and pick four. 

To be fair, they said at least three would be going to Fashion Week.

No, they said only 3 were guaranteed to go, that did not exclude a 4th (or even a 5th) going, just it was not guaranteed.

Edited by dgpolo
clarity (better word choice)
  • Love 3
Just now, dgpolo said:

No, they said only 3 were guaranteed to go, that did not eliminate a 4th (or even a 5th) going, just it was not guaranteed.

Okay, yeah you're right.  Same only different.

Just now, cyberfruit said:

The modesty market is huge, overseas, and not necessarily amongst Muslims. 

Overseas where?  Just asking.

• Love 2

Did you see the look on Tim's face when Kentaro changed his story and said that he was inspired by a lake, rather than his music?

3 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Why did Kentaro change his story on the runway and not talk about music? I wonder if there is still a bit of a language barrier and he doesn't quite understand everything.

I agree. For one thing, I don't think he really understood what they meant by "cohesive". I think he thought they meant "matching", so he was trying to create an interesting collection that didn't match-hence his "I don't want it to be cohesive" speech. I also think his thing about "change it in a few days or hours" was meant to be something like, "I think I'm ready but if you think I'm not then I hope I can make the changes that you want to see within the next few days, or next few hours-whichever you give me!"

• Love 21

Kentaro seems to have lost his own plot. His collection is a mess of random looks. The styling was painful.

Kenya was designing for Good Christian Bitches 1987. That black dress was so poorly fitted; jiggly low boobs is not a good look.

Margarita’s collection is too...too. Each piece is shouting over the others. And I could pick up half of them during a Florida vacation.

I love Brandon’s work but that was the wrong top for his model. Also, the hair needs fresher, freer styling.

Ayana has really developed and that grey outfit was fabulous. However, the bed skirt dresses are a mistake. I hope she pulls them. Or at least edits them.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 20
Just now, SuprSuprElevated said:

Okay, yeah you're right.  Same only different.

Overseas where?  Just asking.

I know Uniqlo did a collection of modest wear maybe a year or two ago, just as they were pushing into the American market. Yes, the designer was a Muslim woman, but she was of British-Japanese descent. Orthodox Jews, from my experience, dress modesty as well as middle to upper income Nigerian women. There is also a growing movement for modest wear here in the U.S. amongst AfAm women, despite what you might see on IG. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I guess I just don't know what the "modesty" market is, outside of the Muslim community.  

Maybe it's because I'm older, but I prefer not to show much skin. I do wear short sleeves, but I prefer not to show cleavage or bare legs. It's not a religious thing for me, but I think a lot of more conservative Christian and Jewish women feel that way also. Whether they would patronize a Muslim designer is a question, I suppose. It would be fine with me, and many others, I'm sure.  

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Kathira said:

Maybe it's because I'm older, but I prefer not to show much skin. I do wear short sleeves, but I prefer not to show cleavage or bare legs. It's not a religious thing for me, but I think a lot of more conservative Christian and Jewish women feel that way also. Whether they would patronize a Muslim designer is a question, I suppose. It would be fine with me, and many others, I'm sure.  

I guess I didn't know there was a name for not dressing like a Kardashian or a Real Housewife.  I've been schooled.

• Love 7

I like Kenya well enough but was getting tired of her “please please I WANT to go to NYFC. “ And every challenge  she was totally stressed, out of ideas etc. Maybe she doesn’t have the disposition for this career 

And I don’t see how some of them spent $10,000 on those outfits.

And l still wish Tim did not give suggestions at this stage of the competition. We should get to see just what they can do on their own. Mind you his advice to Kenya re the pearl wrap over the black dress was not liked by the judges.

• Love 12

I felt as if Brandon, Kenya and Margarita had binge-watched every season of The Golden Girls when designing their collections.

Kenya - she created dusters similar to what Dorothy (Bea Arthur) wore almost every episode

Margarita - she created a collection for a younger version of Blanche (Rue McClanahan) - all sparkles, loud prints and perfect for the 80's

Brandon - he created a collection made of the fabric from their lanai furniture.  Not really, but it could be.

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, milner said:

I will never, ever understand the love these judges have for Brandon's clothes.  They look dull and frumpy to me.  The best thing I can say about them is that they look comfortable.  As in "lounge around the house" comfortable.  

And l still wish Tim did not give suggestions at this stage of the competition. We should get to see just what they can do on their own. Mind you his advice to Kenya re the pearl wrap over the black dress was not liked by the judges.

I didn't understand his suggestion at all.  Yes, the black dress read a bit old.  But adding a long vest to it just made it look even older.  Like an older woman who doesn't feel comfortable showing skin, so she throws a long flowing jacket-type thing over her dress.  He seemed to feel pretty bad about her being aufed.  

I think Margarita should use a few of her print pieces as statement pieces, but make the rest of the clothes more basic.  You can be colorful and bright without using THAT many colors at once.  But I guess it's a little late to edit her whole collection now.

ETA- Why wasn't Kentaro dinged for using straps, just like Brandon?  And why did Brandon, Margarita, and Kentaro use weird cinched fabric around the waist and/or under the breasts?  Is this honestly what is in now? 

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 10

Margarita's disco pants -Ay yi yi!  Ok- I live in the South, and we do wear more colorful clothes than people in the north. But those were like stage costumes in a drag show in Miami! There's a market for Brandon's clothes, and I would happily wear some of what Kentaro has done, although not the weird white outfit with the bizarre growth on the side.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

I thought the whole ending was unnecessarily cruel to Kenya.  No, she wasn't going to win, and that's been obvious for a while, so why let her get within touching distance of her goal and then snatch it away from her? I think it would have been kinder to auf her last week, before she put so much time and energy and hope into a collection that is going to be no more than a decoy.

I think they actually did her a favor if her poor artist speech on the runway an episode or two ago was on the level.  She made a point of talking about how she has had to decide between paying rent or buying fabric.  Well, they gave her $10,000 to create the collection of her dreams.  That could be looked at as a gift of sorts.  That being said, I think she deserved the spot in the finale that was given to Margarita with her carnival costume collection.

Edited by ichbin
repeat words
  • Love 14

So disappointed in all the collections tonight. What happened? I have consistently been impressed with Brandon Kentaro and Ayana, and I liked one of each of their looks tonight but was definitely not wowed. Brandon - pink flamingos? on everything? I don't understand this. Kentaro - loved the cat story - and Tim's reaction- but he seems so lost. I'm worried for him. He had some great creations this season - that coat last week was amazing - but the collection just seems a mess. Hoping he can put something together before the final runway. And I have liked alot of Ayanas looks - but those prairie dresses? No.

Kenya's looks were awful and though I like her and think that her being able to design for real women's bodies is a great thing - she deserved to go - but not as much as Margarita did. Those clothes were god awful and I can't believe she even made it as far as she did. Why did Tim even save her? Her taste level is just non existent. I cannot believe they moved her forward. I smell a rat. 

Allover this season was, to me, far superior to the last couple, even though I wanted to kill those annoying twins. If Margarita wins this thing that will be the end of this show for me.

• Love 14

Didn't people used to feed Tim when he came visiting? I wonder why nobody did this time?

I liked Ayana's, didn't like Brandon or Kentaro, & was so so on Margarita (I’m not into huge, bold prints, but the pants are growing on me.) & Kenya (I didn’t like the black dress, but I liked the other outfit, The judges told her the exact opposite of Tim, there’s no consistency on this show.) 

Does anybody else have a feeling that Kentaro is going to drop out & Kenya will be in? I have no knowledge of this, it's just a gut feeling.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 88Keys said:

I will never, ever understand the love these judges have for Brandon's clothes.  They look dull and frumpy to me.  The best thing I can say about them is that they look comfortable.  As in "lounge around the house" comfortable.  

I didn't understand his suggestion at all.  Yes, the black dress read a bit old.  But adding a long vest to it just made it look even older.  Like an older woman who doesn't feel comfortable showing skin, so she throws a long flowing jacket-type thing over her dress.  He seemed to feel pretty bad about her being aufed.  

I think Margarita should use a few of her print pieces as statement pieces, but make the rest of the clothes more basic.  You can be colorful and bright without using THAT many colors at once.  But I guess it's a little late to edit her whole collection now.

ETA- Why wasn't Kentaro dinged for using straps, just like Brandon?  And why did Brandon, Margarita, and Kentaro use weird cinched fabric around the waist and/or under the breasts?  Is this honestly what is in now? 

I also want to know why Kenya's palette was considered drab, but the others were drooled over (well, Margarita's was bright). I don't mind muted colors myself, but the judges were (shock!) inconsistent about this. 

• Love 4

Ayana is also currently in Salt Lake City, and there's a pretty big modest fashion scene based out of Utah. Mormon modest is different from Muslim modest in a lot of ways (short sleeves or knee length skirts are fine, for example), but I'm sure many of her individual pieces could fit right in.

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, GaT said:

Didn't people used to feed Tim when he came visiting? I wonder why nobody did this time?

I liked Ayana's, didn't like Brandon or Kentaro, & was so so on Margarita (I’m not into huge, bold prints, but the pants are growing on me.) & Kenya (I didn’t like the black dress, but I liked the other outfit, The judges told her the exact opposite of Tim, there’s no consistency on this show.) 

Does anybody else have a feeling that Kentaro is going to drop out & Kenya will be in? I have no knowledge of this, it's just a gut feeling.

Kenya's family's big Southern feast they served Tim?

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, rhofmovalley said:

Kenya's family's big Southern feast they served Tim?

Brandon and his girlfriend (Dina?) also had brunch or a picnic or something with him.  Perhaps trying to cram 5 home visits into the episode meant they had to edit some of that out (also, given the shorter time frames they now give them to develop their collections, and Tim needing to fly to five different cities for the visits, perhaps his stopovers had to become a little more streamlined).    

• Love 7
3 hours ago, rustyspigot said:

Margarita has a future designing for drag queens.

I dunno... I've never known a drag queen that wants to look like an 80s couch.  I mean, yeah, it's drag, but they still want to look good. Trust and believe, if a queen wore that in front of RuPaul, they'd be sashaying away faster than you can say,"Halleloo!"

• Love 13

I didn't think I could dislike Brandon's art projects (sorry, they don't qualify as clothes in my world) any more than I already did, but the flamingo collection took the cake. The only thing I hate more than his designs is his own Hare Krishna look. I predict that even if he wins, his career will go nowhere.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Ketzel said:

I thought the whole ending was unnecessarily cruel to Kenya.  No, she wasn't going to win, and that's been obvious for a while, so why let her get within touching distance of her goal and then snatch it away from her? I think it would have been kinder to auf her last week, before she put so much time and energy and hope into a collection that is going to be no more than a decoy.

At this point in the show, only a dummy doesn't go all out even on a decoy collection. Most of the national newspapers in the US cover the Project Runway fashion week show. There have been quite a few seasons where the decoy collections were much better than the finalists. Swapnil created a collection that would have beaten Ashley, Edmond, Candace, and Kelly. Most people know that getting into the top 6 means you'll show at fashion week. Designers are usually smart enough to use their decoy collection as the world's best resume.

• Love 21
6 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

I know Uniqlo did a collection of modest wear maybe a year or two ago, just as they were pushing into the American market. Yes, the designer was a Muslim woman, but she was of British-Japanese descent. Orthodox Jews, from my experience, dress modesty as well as middle to upper income Nigerian women. There is also a growing movement for modest wear here in the U.S. amongst AfAm women, despite what you might see on IG. 

And (minus the hijab) "modesty" is often classic fashion (like Bessette Kennedy, a style Adi Heyman often embraces, as below) & classic is due for a resurgence.

adi.jpg

Not looking forward to any of these runway collections.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Most people know that getting into the top 6 means you'll show at fashion week. Designers are usually smart enough to use their decoy collection as the world's best resume.

Yes -- it's heartbreaking Kenya did so badly, when this is her best chance at reaching the eyes necessary to her success.  Her work on the show would be a better calling card. 

And where was her "punch up" colour - was it the black? (If so, why not try something unexpected and daring? There's no better time for it.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ichbin said:

Margarita...ugh!  I can swear I had a Barbie outfit years ago that looked like the flaired pants look.   She rubs me the wrong way every time she opens her mouth and her designs look like costumes.  Wonder if she would have advanced if she hadn't been saved by Tim.  Reminds me of Char in season 13. 

reeeee.jpg.0e5ccb7f12914f585b79222e9219a422.jpgbbbbbarrr1.jpg.f1028b420a8da5301cf1bbf93c7287a7.jpgITA.   She definitely would not have been there if it wasn't for the TG "save".  He "saved" her again when he visited her, telling her to lose those oh so tacky gold rings.  I wish he had kept quiet.  As mentioned upthread, I would have loved to hear Zac and Nina if she'd left those outfits in her collection.  There only would have been three that would be going to FW.

Her whole collection looked like she lifted her "designs" straight out of the Barbie Dreamhouse circa 1969.  Being inspired by fabric from a couch?  I guess she was hoping (and apparently it worked) that by pulling on "emotional" family memories she had growing up in Puerto Rico might put her in a better light.   It's curious that she's just now talking about her family.  Although I KNOW she lived on an island and didn't know/understand winter - she gets the side eye from me.  In this era of the internet/Google, she had to know someone was going to find out that she went to school in RI.  I was in RI in January this year- they have winter there and yes, it's cold.  I don't like her and am very tired of having to hear her opinions of everyone else and how she's so superior (in her own mind) to all the others.  And yet she wonders why none of the others mentioned her name when asked about who they wanted at Fashion Week.

Her collection wasn't my taste; agree with the resort wear comments made by the judges.  Heidi echoed the exact same thing that Tim told her; she definitely wasn't keeping any of the "New York woman on the street (other than a streetwalker) vibe" they kept urging her to design for.  It was gutsy (I guess) for her to listen to her esthetic and do her "own thing" - don't feel based on this collection and looking at her previous work that she should win the contest.   I'm hoping Project Runway doesn't go there.  I'm afraid that they might just because she's from Puerto Rico (and I don't want this to sound like I'm callous to everything that's happened there because I'm not), but her mentioning the hurricane/showing the graphics probably means there might be a bit of slant towards a win for her.  I'm afraid (hoping against hope) that PR going to play up this angle -can see this happening by what they're doing with Kentaro and his doubts about his collection (agree as well that he doesn't fully understand what's meant by cohesion).  If this is the result, I'm done with PR, I'll turn in my viewer's card.  They will have truly jumped the shark.

I hope we won't be reading an article a year later about Tim voicing regret  (like he did w/Ashley's win) with regard to the 2017 Project Runway winner.

• Love 9

Brandon’s print looked like it belonged in a medical office. I guess his customer is the dental hygienist who wants to show her bare midriff or the nursing assistant who wants to show side boob. And why are those muted pinks called drab in Kenya’s collection, but Tim says they are great in Brandon’s. Same exact colors. 

I am baffled by Ayana’a 70’s ruffle dresses. And the fact that she thought they were her best looks. They don’t go at all with the more modern looks she sent down the runway. I call BS on Meisha’s disappointment about not getting to wear one of those ‘fabulous’ dresses. I don’t remember Ayana doing such outdated looks during the challenges. What happened? Why didn’t Tim remark on that?

I’ve never seen such a vivid thought bubble next to Tim’s face as I did after Kentaro’s cat story. It said, ‘Get me the fuck out of here.’ 

• Love 24
6 hours ago, milner said:

For the second time in a row, his suggestions sent a designer home.   I thought that the yellow negligee looking thing ruined Kenya's black dress.  And then last week, he really liked Margarita's look.  Maybe Tim has different tastes than the judges, but by throwing that yellow thing over the black dress, all of the detail in the dress was lost.  And maybe he does and it's edited out  - but I think he should tell  the judges  - "hey, that was my suggestion" so they would at least know where it came from. 

Having said that, while I would have kept Kenya and sent Margarita home, just to end her running commentary on everything and everyone,  I can understand the decision.  Kenya seems to be floundering.  So does Kentaro, and I think he is taking the word "cohesive" too literally.  He has a black and white dress in the workroom with netting that looked really interesting, so I am glad we are going to see  a collection from him.   If he can maybe fix that white dress, he might have a shot (who am I kidding, we all know who's been annointed!)

I love Ayana but thought her collection looked dull. Maybe it's the color choice.  And I thought Margarita's was tacky, but I'm not a fan of psychedelic prints and glitter.  I don't know what the judges see in her, I really don't.

1 hour ago, dwarmed said:

I’ve never seen such a vivid thought bubble next to Tim’s face as I did after Kentaro’s cat story. It said, ‘Get me the fuck out of here.’ 

To the point where I actually had to double check to make sure Kentaro said DEAD cat. 

• Love 4