Type keyword(s) to search

Twin Peaks Tie-In Books

Now that we have two official (or quasi-official) books by Mark Frost, along with previous material like My Life My Tapes and The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (which for me is hugely important and is in many ways more my eyes and ears for many characters than even the show itself), I thought we could use a thread. 

I have some...mixed thoughts about the dossier, which I'm about halfway through. If I ever finish said thoughts I will post them here, under spoiler space. I think maybe using spoiler space for the dossier for now would be a good idea.

I received the new book today, and - contrary to the first book that I have not finished reading all the way through once - I am already half through the new one.

It is a nice read, and I wanted to "share" for those who are interested in some details. So far, it is a whole lot of info right from the start on several characters, mostly on characters we know from the old series.

I may miss some stuff here from the first book, as I have not read it all.

Spoiler

Agent Tammy is at it again, giving closure on

- Leo Johnson is found dead shortly after we last saw him at the end of the old series. And guess who does the autopsy. It's Albert's report, fun read. Leo had several spider bites , but he died from five shots to the heart. A trap from Windom Earle if I got that right. So Leo's death was my first surprise.

- Then a chapter on Donna of all characters. She left town following the who's-my-daddy disaster of a storyline. Married some guy 20 years her senior (Frost's tongue-in-cheek humor considering Lara Flynn Boyle's real life relationship with Jack Nicholson?). In 2017, she lives with her father far away from Twin Peaks, a point I did not pick up on in the new series when Doc Hayward skyped with Sheriff Truman II), Doc not living in TP anymore that is. Mother Eilleen died in the 2000's, mother and daughter never reconciled. No further mentioning of Donna meeting James ever again, which I sort of hoped for.

- An Annie chapter. Best part: we get the answer to Coop's "How's Annie". Annie has been in a catatonic state for 25 years now - guess that can happen to you if you are not an original piece of Lynch/Frost personal favorate cherry pie - speaking nothing but one specific phrase once every year on a specific date, same date as when she returned from the lodge with Cooperganger: "I'm fine." ! Oh, and her having tried to commit suicide seems to have been related to her mother's husband raping or violating her.

- There is more information on Doc Jacoby and what happended to him during the 25 years. There is mentioning of a lasting friendship wiht Jerry Horne, a "rewrite" which I could have done without.

- Then Norma. Lots of information on her (now)"step mother" (but still Annie's real mother) Vivian. In the first book, Norma's mother had changed (compared to mother Vivian from the old series). Bit confusing, but more interesting to read about than I thought at first. Fleshed out Vivian seems to have been quite the real monster. Vivian dumped Ernie, and poor Ernie went down the road of self destruction. And died. Vivian has died recently, a wealthy widow form her fourth husband. So much for charma being a bitch (not).

- My favorate "discovery" so far: Jerry Horne has been constantly high since 1969. Phantastic, love it!

There's more about Audrey <yay> & Ben Horne, Big Ed, James & Nadine,, and Shelley. But I gotta go to sleep. Am interested in everybody's opinion here, the two or three other readers ;)

A colleague of mine, another fan, has not received his book yet and was quite sad when he saw me getting mine today <lol>

Edited by IDFfm0870
Norma didn't dump Ernie, Vivian did. And typos.

I bought a digital copy of the first one. Huge mistake. Lots of replicas of historical documents   Couldn’t really read on e reader but ok on tablet. Second one would work digitally but it is a beautiful book best read in person. 

Im not sure I buy the accounts but seems possible.  

Edited by Affogato

I just finished the Final Dossier this afternoon.  It was a quick read, and I heartily recommend it to anyone who, like me, was disappointed in the recent series.  I think it covered everybody except Dougie Jones and the Vegas contingent and it really helped connect the dots.  

Spoiler

I don't want to reiterate all the good points @IDFfm0870 made, but it bears repeating that the Leo Johnson autopsy was hilarious (gee, how often can you express that sentiment?) and a very catchy way of opening the book.  I also cracked up at the not-so-veiled reference to a pre-politics Donald Trump briefly wearing the jade ring.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, Kokapetl said:

I’d really appreciate it if someone could summarize what the books said. 

Tammy is given an odd box which was assembled by 'the archivist', who proves to be someone we know. She examines the papers and follows the leads, assembling her notes into a coherent narrative.

The lodges have been hovering around the Northwest for some time and have been known to a number of Aboriginal tribes. Some explorers came in contact with them and no good came of it. The jade ring has been passed around, sometimes by famous people.

Some of the people tottering around Twin Peaks were involved in some secret government stuff. It seems that more than the owls were not what they seemed.

Later, before Tammy leaves Twin Peaks she finds out what has happened to some of the people in the town. This includes Audrey, Annie, Leo, Donna,her father and sister Gersten. She has good access but has to leave abruptly to make it with her small horde of information, flying ahead of a change in her resident multiverse.

;-)

• Love 2

I have only skimmed the book, but am disappointed in the Audrey details. Apparently everything we saw on the show was real? How do they explain the dance and the cut to "what?" in the white room? I know Agent Tammy can't explain all this but I still feel unfulfilled by the Audrey storyline. Was hoping for a bit more.

On the other hand, I found the climax of the dossier fascinating - that Cooper really had changed history and Laura had simply disappeared. I'm OK with not 100% understanding the alternate reality that had been created as a result.

Is Secret History of Twin Peaks official in-uinverse canon?

I tried reading that last fall before watching FWWM and could not get past the first few pages. The regular "modern day" font was easy to get through, but the historical documents were hard to read. The audio tapes that went along with it were absolutely no help to me, because I am hearing impaired and rely on closed captions to accompany audio.

Is there a text-only (with only fonts such as Times New Roman, Geneva, Helvetica, etc?) edition of Secret History of Twin Peaks?