Type keyword(s) to search

Noel, Sandi, and Matt: The New Presenters

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

And when talking about the surfing movie, did Noel say something about “Swayze, if you’re watching, call me.” Surely he knows Swayze is no longer with us?!

The contestant (sorry, I'm terrible with names) was saying they call his dad "Swayze" because he looks like Patrick Swayze, so Noel was shouting out the guy's dad.

4 minutes ago, tljgator said:

The contestant (sorry, I'm terrible with names) was saying they call his dad "Swayze" because he looks like Patrick Swayze, so Noel was shouting out the guy's dad.

Heh, I thought he said his DOG was called Swayze.  Gotta start using closed captioning to get around the accents.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Heh, I thought he said his DOG was called Swayze.  Gotta start using closed captioning to get around the accents.

Entirely possible he did and I presumed he said 'dad' because Noel's follow up was about him looking like Swayze, lol...been a long week. *g*

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, tljgator said:

Thank you for clarifying. I was on my first glass of Chardonnay!

Dialogue (transcribed from closed captioning because I have no life):

Noel (Talking about surfing) : On Point Break it looks easy.

Dave (Laughing) :  Yeah.  What a great film.  

Noel:  If they remade it with me and you, you'd have to be Keanu and I'd have to be Swayze.

Dave:  Yeah, you reckon?

Noel:  Yeah, not reckon.  That's a fact.

Dave:  Er, my dad's dog's called Swayze.

Noel:  After Patrick Swayze?

Dave:  After Patrick Swayze.

Noel:  Wow.  Swayze, if you're watching this, respect.  (laughs and walks away)

So it sounds like Noel was sending his respects to the dog.  I thought it was funny that Noel says he'd have to be Patrick Swayze in the film (inferring he is as good looking), and Dave's comment made it sound like Noel looks like his dad's dog.

Edited by AZChristian
Sometimes punctuation makes emojis.
  • Love 1

I agree with those who think that Noel and Matt together are just too juvenile.  It's most evident when they become serious in announcing the baker going home, because I actually like them at that point.  That tells me the rest is over-the-top hamming it up.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I agree with those who think that Noel and Matt together are just too juvenile.  It's most evident when they become serious in announcing the baker going home, because I actually like them at that point.  That tells me the rest is over-the-top hamming it up.

Each of them individually with the bakers is okay, but the two of them together - ad libbing! - can go downhill quickly.  Mr. Spoon needs to go away and never return.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

So it sounds like Noel was sending his respects to the dog.  I thought it was funny that Noel says he'd have to be Patrick Swayze in the film (inferring he is as good looking), and Dave's comment made it sound like Noel looks like his dad's dog.

I didn't get that at all. I knew Dave was talking about a dog. But now I get Noel's last comment. After Noel said something about him watching, I was thinking Patrick Swayze, who is dead :(, so not watching the show. So I was thinking unless he meant Keanu. But now I realize he was responding to Dave about his dog lol. 

14 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

In the latest episode they were worse than ever.  They were hanging around Laura's workstation making incredibly stupid jokes to the point that she had to actually walk around them to keep working. I would have give them both a swift boot in the rears.  So intrusive and their brand of humor escapes me.

That bothered me too. She is trying to work and they are acting like middle schoolers. Then I got annoyed when Matt grabbed the tinfoil and started playing with it. I think this is do to Covid, but I couldn't help but thinking well that's wasteful now they have to throw a good part of that out. He put it near his mouth. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, blueray said:

That bothered me too. She is trying to work and they are acting like middle schoolers. Then I got annoyed when Matt grabbed the tinfoil and started playing with it. I think this is do to Covid, but I couldn't help but thinking well that's wasteful now they have to throw a good part of that out. He put it near his mouth. 

And Matt repeatedly spitting out the exaggerated “p” sounds. Gross. 

• Love 7

I wish they’d give Noel and Matt the boot and get someone like the lovely and charming Fiona Bruce as presenter. She hosts Antiques Roadshow and is a pro at engaging the visitors in a pleasant and fun way. And she wouldn’t need a sidekick. Or Penelope Keith! She had a series of driving her cute car around the gorgeous countryside to visit charming villages and meeting the locals. Please, no more comedians! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Or Penelope Keith! She had a series of driving her cute car around the gorgeous countryside to visit charming villages and meeting the locals.

OMG Audrey fforbes-Hamilton (To the Manor Born, one of the first British shows I got hooked on in my well spent youth)? YES PLEASE!  

Of course that would mean Pru would have to go because Channel 4 doesn't believe their core demo would watch a show with TWO women who are 80 years old. 

• Love 3

I like Noel when he’s encouraging the bakers and sometimes he is funny — his “well done” to the bakers always seems kind and heartfelt.  Matt brings out the worst in Noel.  I was open to Matt’s joining the show and gave him a good shot, but he’s got to go next season.

Paul Hollywood is so *not* a heartthrob in my book and I’m thankful he has a judge partner in Prue.  It would be an awful, cold show with just glaring Paul.  He’s my least favorite thing about GBBO.

• Love 6

In the first few episodes this season, I actually liked Matt & Noel together.  I had never really warmed to Noel and thought Matt was a better match with him than Sandi was.  But, ugh, in the last few episodes these two have been painful to watch.  Maybe it's them being together All The Time that has reduced the two of them to twelve year olds, and no longer funny. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Paul Hollywood is so *not* a heartthrob in my book and I’m thankful he has a judge partner in Prue.  It would be an awful, cold show with just glaring Paul.  He’s my least favorite thing about GBBO.

Same. I don't find him to be a particularly good judge (certainly not enough for him to be the ~star~ of the series). The international versions of the show sometimes have really great judges with insightful and useful feedback. "It looks neat" and "You've got a soggy bottom" aren't really critiques. That's just stating the obvious. He might as well say, "The tablecloth is blue."

I've also never found him attractive so it's not like his face makes up for his lackluster comments (in fact, when the news about his affair with Marcela Valladolid became public, I was like really, girl? If you're going to cheat on your husband, at least find someone super hot!).

But I agree that Paul's demeanor with the bakers is usually not great. Often during the walk arounds, he will ask a question, get a response, and then just stare at the baker, which is why they need the hosts to fill the awkward silences. I just don't think that Noel and Matt do as great a job as Mel and Sue did at breaking that awkward tension with a little quip and then ushering the judges to the next work station. I think that Noel does a decent job when he's one on one with the bakers but that's about it. But the Matt/Noel interactions tend to be in the vein of "LOOK AT ME! I'M SO FUNNY! PLEASE LAUGH!" which I don't find funny at all.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But I agree that Paul's demeanor with the bakers is usually not great. Often during the walk arounds, he will ask a question, get a response, and then just stare at the baker, which is why they need the hosts to fill the awkward silences. I just don't think that Noel and Matt do as great a job as Mel and Sue did at breaking that awkward tension with a little quip and then ushering the judges to the next work station.

I wonder if, because Paul, Mel and Sue all started the show together Mel and Sue didn't feel as intimidated by him so they had no problem kind of pushing him along whereas, by the time Noel and certainly Matt arrived, Paul was the "star" of the show (being the only remaining original personality if nothing else) and so they feel slightly like he is the "boss" and they aren't comfortable with pushing back. 

In a photo I might think Paul is not bad looking, I do think he has beautiful blue eyes, but his personality makes him very unappealing to me, but the show has always seemed to push him as the good looking, hunky blue-eyed baker and Matt and Noel seem to pander to that as well. 

I think Prue figured out last season that her opinion means nothing, it's all about Paul, and has basically just checked out and is just there collecting her paycheck. 

I forget, I feel like I read it somewhere, did Noel and Matt know each other well before the show? Is that how Matt ended up here? Because I always thought the reason Mel and Sue were so good together is because they'd known each other for a long time. Of course I could be misremembering that too. My memory isn't great. But they always gave off a vibe of having been friends for years in a "finish each others sentences" kind of way that just really worked. Where Matt and Noel seem more like the type of friends who egg each other on with "you're so funny" "no, you're so funny".

• Love 5

I don't find Paul Hollywood attractive (not that he is ugly either), and he looks older than his age. 

Also, I was reading a headline a week ago where people were surprised Noel was 47. Now, I am not sure if the shock was because they thought he was younger or older. If people think he looks younger, um...I would be shocked. To me he looks about 47 or a little older.

Edited by Enigma X
Fixed
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Also, I was reading a headline a week ago where people were surprised he was 47. Now, I am not sure if the shock was because they thought he was younger or older. If people think he looks younger, um...I would be shocked. To me he looks about 47 or a little older.

Was this an old article? Paul is 54.

11 minutes ago, Athena said:

Thank you for that. I'm 47 and my first thought was WTF? He's my age!??!?! Cause he looks quite a bit older than that. He does look 54 to me so whew. Oh, crap, actually I'm 48 now, so he'd have been younger than me! NOPE, no way, not happening. 

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Thank you for that. I'm 47 and my first thought was WTF? He's my age!??!?! Cause he looks quite a bit older than that. He does look 54 to me so whew. Oh, crap, actually I'm 48 now, so he'd have been younger than me! NOPE, no way, not happening. 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

My bad. I am wrong on two counts. The "he" I was referring to was Noel and I actually still thought Paul said in an episode he was 45. So, to clarify: Noel looks all of his 47, and Paul looks his 54, but I still do not find him attractive.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I wish they’d give Noel and Matt the boot and get someone like the lovely and charming Fiona Bruce as presenter. She hosts Antiques Roadshow and is a pro at engaging the visitors in a pleasant and fun way.

14 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

OMG Audrey fforbes-Hamilton (To the Manor Born, one of the first British shows I got hooked on in my well spent youth)? YES PLEASE! 

If we are rummaging outside of the box, and sticking with antiques, I'd like to see someone with the postive energy of Bargain Hunt's Christina Trevanion as a presenter.

Edited by Aulty

I had avoided watching the shows when it switched to Noel and Sandi, because she used to be terribly pushy and unfunny when she did Who's Line Is It Anyway.  She was just loud.  But...I went back and watched the older episodes, and aside from the goofy openings, she was a very kind and supportive host with the contestants.  If they're not going to bring back Mel and Sue, at least bring in someone who will tone down Noel, not wind him up.

• Love 9

They should get Jameela Jamil to host.  She loves food, and has participated in celebrity bake offs.  She's super nice and very funny.  Would be more like Mel & Sue than the adolescent "humor" we have going on now.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

They should get Jameela Jamil to host.  She loves food, and has participated in celebrity bake offs.  She's super nice and very funny.  Would be more like Mel & Sue than the adolescent "humor" we have going on now.

Yes! Genius! She would be a great presenter. I think she would be a better compliment to Noel (who I like) than Matt (who I did like but has gotten on my nerves that last couple episodes).

• Love 4
9 hours ago, chaifan said:

4 hours ago, TimothyQ said:

Yes! Genius! She would be a great presenter. I think she would be a better compliment to Noel (who I like) than Matt (who I did like but has gotten on my nerves that last couple episodes).

I thought she was a pretty lackluster non-entity of a host for Legendary.

Mel & Sue were my favorite pairing, followed by Noel & Sandi, with Noel & Matt bringing up the rear.  I like Noel and Matt independently but together I do think they are a bit juvenile.

Mel & Sue were funny and yet also very down to earth and supportive which I really liked.  As another poster mentioned I loved that they were always tasting or nibbling on stuff.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

As another poster mentioned I loved that they were always tasting or nibbling on stuff.  

Honestly, if you're going to host a baking show why the hell would you not be nibbling and sampling everything? That would be my whole reason for taking the job lol

• Love 9

Okay, so I had just gotten past the whole Noel/Sandy transition...took a while, because honestly, yes, we get it, Sandy is short, but Noel, if I’m desperately trying to concentrate during the last three minutes of a challenge and you insist on getting in my personal space and requiring me to respond to you, you’re getting a baking bowl over your head...and then I’m sitting here minding my own business and the next season rolls up...and Sandy has turned into some weird squidgy bald guy who’s not half as amusing as he thinks he is.

WTH? Why do they have such a hard time keeping people on this show? Other than Paul, who’s gotten worse with the stalking and the glaring, every other person has been replaced. 
I am not amused.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I am not amused.

Table for two.  This was absolutely the worst season. 

I love the Great Canadian Bake Off - nice judges, helpful criticism, unobtrusive hosts. 

I think I'm done with the British version.  I can't concentrate on the bakers for my hatred of Paul and the twit twins.

• Love 2

After a couple seasons of Noel and Matt, I’ve gone back to watch some of the seasons with Sandy. Have to admit, I like her much more now than on first watch. I think Matt just doesn’t work on the show. Sandy had a wonderful dry humor but also really could be sweet with the bakers. Matt seems to just want to get a rise or a randy comment out of the them. The “Sandy is short” jokes got lame really fast, but she tempered Noel’s personality a bit. Noel and Matt just feed off each other and not in a good way. 

• Love 20
On 11/21/2021 at 5:00 PM, TimothyQ said:

Noel and Matt just feed off each other and not in a good way. 

Add in Paul and it's a pretty tiresome dynamic. Three overgrown adolescents egging each other on is too much.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, akr said:

Add in Paul and it's a pretty tiresome dynamic. Three overgrown adolescents egging each other on is too much.

And that unfortunately leaves Prue in the roll of house mom, who's sole job is to wag her finger and tsk tsk disapprovingly at these three.  Prue deserves better than that.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, akr said:

This really has spoiled it for me.  Even when they dial it back (I wonder if there have been complaints) they still manage to act like adolescent teens.  And I fast forward past those idiot opening skits.  Why are they wasting time on that crap?

• Love 10
6 hours ago, akr said:

My "issue" with Paul is that he wants (or the producers want him) to be too many things. In the BBC days he was the strict, steely professional baker the contestants dreaded, Mary was the warm home baker everyone wanted to impress, with Mel and Sue the comforting comedians who gave great hugs.
Nobody wants to impress Prue, the hosts are hit and miss. They have Paul dress up as Hulk, sing Achey Brakey Hart and bond with contestants over his home made pizza on off days. AND judge bakes.
IMHO Paul needs to go.

• Love 5

I'm in agreement that the "comedy" is wearing very thin, and needs to be dialed back to be more on the level it was with Mel/Sue.  I don't blame PH for his involvement in the opening gags (appropriate word), as I suspect the producers are pulling those strings.  I don't however, wish him to leave the show.  I feel that his critiques are valuable and informative, as are Pru's.  She definitely seems to defer to Paul, so perhaps that too is a producer edict.  What we don't know is what sort of feedback the show is getting from viewers/advertisers.  If the concensus is "more Paul", then that's what they're going to do. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 6

Mel and Sue were funny, joked with the contestants, and could be a little randy at times. But the difference was they were able to keep the focus on the bakers and not mug constantly for the cameras as Noel and Matt do. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, TimothyQ said:

But the difference was they were able to keep the focus on the bakers and not mug constantly for the cameras as Noel and Matt do. 

And they never interrupted the bakers when time was an issue to the point where a contestant had to actually push them out of the way.  And it's not like Noel was making a supportive intervention, he was prattling nonsense.  I was so ready to smack him.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

And they never interrupted the bakers when time was an issue to the point where a contestant had to actually push them out of the way.  And it's not like Noel was making a supportive intervention, he was prattling nonsense.  I was so ready to smack him.

Sometimes they even helped the bakers push through a last-minute rush to get things on the plate and the like. Sue did have a bad habit of inadvertently breaking /squishing parts of people’s bakes at times, though. 

• Love 6

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how creepy Noel was with Peter! That season was uncomfortable. So many creepy commends made by Noel about Peter.  

I also don't like how Noel tries to pit the bakers against one another. I think Noel thinks he's being funny... He isn't.... 

• Love 4

I just finished watching the first season of the Canadian Bake Off, and oh, it just makes me cringe at the thought of another season of Noel & Matt.  Dan Levy is so charming, and keeps the humor really low key.  Julia Chan is so unobtrusive she's almost not there.  They are much more in the Mel & Sue camp than Noel or Matt will ever be.  Especially with Dan just nibbling away on whatever he can.  sigh.  They should sack Noel & Matt and have Dan & Julia come over to the GBBO. 

• Love 3