Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E14: The Knockouts, Part 3

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

Each contestant selects a song to perform before facing off against a teammate.  The coaches each choose a member of their teams to advance, leaving the castoffs up for grabs.  Key advisor is Kelly Clarkson.

This is a one-hour episode that will conclude the Knockouts.  Either there'll simply be three aired matchups, and that's it, or there'll be three aired matchups and one montaged one, most likely from Team Adam or Team Blake.

(edited)

All right.  Gaming things out this season is going to be a little bit different this season due to the scheduling.  But nonetheless, I'm still going to try.

Team Adam
Only one pair left here, and while I see the benefits to Adam keeping both, let's face it.  He's all in with his bromances most of the time, and I can't see that being any exception for Anthony.  He relies on falsetto almost as much as Adam does, and he's absolutely one of his biggest fanboys.  Adam's not going to let him go.  Hannah's a superior singer, but she specializes more in R&B/pop, while Adam is more for plain pop like Anthony is.  Their matchup needs to be last if Hannah wants any hope of getting Jennifer's steal.

Final team for the Playoffs: Addison, Jon, Emily, Anthony, and Adam C.

Team Miley
No need to predict anything here.  Her team for the Playoffs was fully rounded out just tonight.  And possibly save for Ashland, everyone on it is pretty damn impressive.

Final team for the Playoffs: Janice, Ashland, Brooke, Moriah, and Adam P.

Team Jennifer
I think Katrina is toast.  She's a fantastic singer, but I can't see Jennifer letting go of her four-chair-turn.  Chris has a strong, powerful voice over which he has far more control than Katrina has over her own voice.  Plus, Jennifer, as shown on the U.K. version, tends to stick with her original team and let go of her steals, anyway.  She may have held onto Noah, but come on.  Jeremiah was so bad, she had to.  I don't see Katrina having the same luck.

Final team for the Playoffs: Shi'Ann, Davon, Noah, Chris, and whomever she steals.

Team Blake
Blake almost always sticks with his original team.  So on that note, Megan's pretty much out the door even if she does outperform Red tomorrow.  Red is just the typical bro country artist that Blake loves, would have a beer with, and would thus keep.  Megan could get Jennifer's steal, I guess, but given that Jennifer doesn't have much taste for country artists, I highly doubt that she'll get it.

Final team for the Playoffs: Esera, Mitchell, Keisha, Red, and Chloe.

I miss @PhD-Purgatory15.  Hopefully, he or anyone else would like to game out tomorrow's matchups with me.  I'm not picky.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 2

Still alive here in Thailand lol. Tomorrow seems to be about 98% anticlimactic. Jennifer will almost certainly save Chris over Katrina, Blake will inexplicably keep Red again, and probably in a close decision Adam will keep Anthony allowing Jennifer to swoop in and use the final KO steal on Hannah who probably is a better fit on JHud's team anyway.

Still unclear if we will get Coach bring back artists, this season but if we do (and if the pool of choices is only those who lost during the KO rounds).....I'm calling Dennis for Team Adam (slight chance for Whitney since they did air him telling her that he would've stolen her if he hadn't already stolen Adam C. but I'm not getting my hopes up). I think Blake could bring back Megan after she loses to Red....Katrina could also be a possibility after she most likely loses to Chris, I feel like Miley's going to bring back Karli (Blake could also grab Karli if Miley goes in another direction) and I'm not sure who Jennifer would bring back. Maybe Lucas...

• Love 2

Star Aristille, so if I'm getting your post in the KO 2 thread correctly, this season the judges have all the power to trim their own teams from 5 (or 6) to 3 for the actual start of the live rounds? That is interesting, and slightly worrying lol.

My guesses (I am unspoiled as always) would be Adam goes with the "A Team" in Adam C., Addison, and Anthony (the season's 2nd teen-ish hearthrob after Noah). I think Jon's KO montage might be some foreshadowing that his journey ends sooner rather than later and while you could definitely make the argument that if Adam is going to keep one female moving forward it should be Emily, I feel like he's slightly more intrigued in what he might have with Addison.

Blake worries me. There's a horrid scenario where he goes all country and keeps Keisha Renee (which he should), along with Mitchell (who maybe he should, maybe he shouldn't) and Red (who he shouldn't of kept past the battle rounds). If he's smarter, he'll round his team out with the dynamic Chloe and the vocally hard to deny Esera (although if he does slot Mitchell third I'd understand his rationale for doing so).

Jennifer, I would not have originally pegged Noah as making the top 12....but now I think he's gonna be hard to deny. If Jennifer is strategic she'll ride with either Chris or Davon (not both). and then Shi'Ann probably gets the third spot. If Hannah is stolen by JHud as I'm expecting, I then expect her to throw down a pretty awesome performance and probably not get rewarded for it lol.

Miley, my guess is Adam P. is probably toast (he needs to go out in a blaze of glory with Tom Sawyer by Rush or Holy Diver by Ronnie James Dio). Of the 4 women on Miley's team, I'd say Ashland is the most vulnerable unless Miley is absolutely deadset on trying to beat Blake with a country artist. Brooke and Moriah seem like pretty much locks while Janice probably also should be a lock....but I'd at least give Ashland a fighting chance if she gets back to the level she was at for her blind audition.

All of this assumes there are either no bring back artist this season, or there are but none of them factor into the Coaches top 3's moving into the live shows.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

Oh so the audience isn't voting after the Playoffs to determine 8 off the Top 12? It's all up to the coaches this season? I don't know if I like that or not. If most of the people I like make it then I'm good with it lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Star Aristille, so if I'm getting your post in the KO 2 thread correctly, this season the judges have all the power to trim their own teams from 5 (or 6) to 3 for the actual start of the live rounds? That is interesting, and slightly worrying lol.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh so the audience isn't voting after the Playoffs to determine 8 off the Top 12? It's all up to the coaches this season? I don't know if I like that or not. If most of the people I like make it then I'm good with it lol.

Yes.  The Playoffs were pretaped this time around, so the coaches all picked their top three.  The last time this was done was season six.  And yes, season fourteen will be doing the same thing.

• Love 2

Final team rosters/cheat sheets going into the Playoffs:

Team Adam
Addison Agen (defeated Dennis Drummond)
Jon Mero (defeated Dylan Gerard)*
Emily Luther (defeated Adam Pearce)
Anthony Alexander (defeated Hannah Mrozak)
Adam Cunningham (stolen from Team Blake)

Team Miley
Janice Freeman (defeated Karli Webster)
Ashland Craft (defeated Chloe Kohanski)
Brooke Simpson (defeated Stephan Marcellus)
Moriah Formica (defeated Whitney Fenimore)
Adam Pearce (stolen from Team Adam)

Team Jennifer
Shi'Ann Jones (defeated Lucas Holliday)
Davon Fleming (defeated Eric Lyn)
Noah Mac (defeated Jeremiah Miller)
Chris Weaver (defeated Katrina Rose)
Hannah Mrozak (stolen from Team Adam)

Team Blake
Esera Tuaolo (defeated Adam Cunningham)
Mitchell Lee (defeated Anna Catherine DeHart)
Keisha Renee (defeated Kathrina Feigh)
Red Marlow (defeated Megan Rose)
Chloe Kohanski (stolen from Team Miley)

Names in bold indicate an artist who has either newly won his or her Battle and stayed on his or her team, or been newly stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that this artist's Knockout was montaged.

• Love 2
(edited)

For the final night of Knockouts, this was just okay to me.  I did enjoy half of the performances.  But the other half weren't quite as enjoyable.

So on to the final performances:

Chris vs. Katrina: Like I said in the previous episode thread, I thought both Chris and Katrina did well on overdone songs.  Chris had power, control, and a good lower register that could've made Rob Taylor from season eight proud when he did "I Put a Spell on You."  Katrina didn't quite measure up to Clarissa Serna's Blind from season six, but definitely delivered an original-sounding version of "Zombie" that was greater than Lacy Mandigo's version in season ten.  In the end, though, I think it came down to Jennifer not wanting to part with her other four-chair-turn and Chris being on her original team, while she had no connection with Katrina, who'd just started working with her.  Shame for Katrina, whose tears before Jennifer even made her choice told me that she knew it was coming.  But I think she'll be great someday.  But congrats to Chris for making the Playoffs.  Here's to hoping he can get even farther.

Megan vs. Red: I thought Megan did a very good job.  But when you're taking on a Carrie Underwood song, you've gotta be great, not just good.  I enjoyed her performance a lot, but it wasn't the epic showcase the Knockouts usually.  Red, meanwhile, sang a country ballad that was full of his usual twang.  And unfortunately, that twang was so strong and prominent, it distracted from his otherwise clean, clear tone.  I don't think either was great, really.  But I would've gone with Megan.  The app voters, apparently, preferred Red, and it wasn't even close between them.  I was shocked that Miley preferred Red's performance over her original teammate, though.  In any case, Megan should hope to be a Comeback.  Otherwise, she's gone for good.

Anthony vs. Hannah: I straight-up thought that Hannah won this one.  Anthony sang a teen heartthrob song by Shawn Mendes, another teen heartthrob, and was solid on it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Better than Mark Isaiah's Blind from last season, for sure, but better than Hannah?  I think not.  Hannah knocked my socks off with "Love on the Brain."  She put her own spin on it in a way that would definitely make Wé McDonald from season eleven and Chris Blue from season twelve proud of her.  There is no damn way she should've lost that.  But at the same time, it's all on her.  She chose Adam, knowing that he usually sides with his bromances, and she paid the price when Adam chose Anthony.  Luckily, Jennifer was there to steal her and keep her from paying the full price.  She's way more of a fit on her team, anyway, though I wonder if Jennifer will keep her past the Playoffs?  Time will tell.

Well, the Knockouts are over, and the Playoffs are next.  Going into the next round, I think Miley, Jennifer, and Blake are all about even in terms of team strength right now.  Not surprisingly, Adam's the one, for the third season in a row, trailing behind with the weakest team.  But we'll see how the Playoffs shake out and see if they can maintain their team strength.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 1

I am still at the half-watching, don't know everybody's name's stage (comments here help a LOT) when I watch the shows back), but I had to comment about Hannah. People who know me will groan if Rihanna's Love on Brain plays when they are around me. Not because they dislike it, but because I will go on and on about how it is one of my favorite vocal performances of my whole life (and I am 56), just perfection (I go into a bit of detail sometimes). I am still in awe of what she does with that song. I like Hannah, but I dreaded her version. And I thought it was pretty great. It makes me happy to see someone do something challenging extremely well, and I am happy for Hannah. 

• Love 2

I thought this was the weakest of the knockout episodes. Only Chris and Hannah were good.  While I had enjoyed what Katrina did with Zombie while watching the sneak peak, on re-watching it I thought she had some glaring vocal issues and completely lost control with that screech at the end.

Red was kind of dull, letting little of his personality shine through (which is the best thing he’s got going for him).  I might have actually given that one to Megan.

Anthony was the biggest disappointment, as I'd liked his previous performances.  I think I actually prefer Mark Isiah's version of Mercy from last season over this one.

If I had to pick the 3 people from each team for the live rounds, I'd go with:

• Team Adam: Addison, Jon, and Emily
  • Team Mylie: Brooke, Janice and Moriah
  • Team Jennifer: Chris, Noah and Hannah
  • Team Blake: Chloe, Keisha and Esera

But I reserve the right to change my mind depending on their playoff performances.  Adam C., Adam P. and Davon could edge in there is they perform much better than some of those who are on my list.

• Love 1
On 11/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, Star Aristille said:

For the final night of Knockouts, this was just okay to me.  I did enjoy half of the performances.  But the other half weren't quite as enjoyable.

Megan vs. Red: I thought Megan did a very good job.  But when you're taking on a Carrie Underwood song, you've gotta be great, not just good.

Anthony vs. Hannah: I straight-up thought that Hannah won this one.  

This for days! Anthony is good, but he is young...the perfect age when age/lack of experience/nerves/stage fright can send him home in a few weeks. I love the show, obviously, but I admit I prefer singers who can legally enter a bar or rent a car because their voices have reached a maturity level that distinguishes them from Karaoke singers.

Side note: Noah Mac is an exception to "my rule" because he sounds like he is twice his age. He is amazing and so much better than the young Buble Wannabe (blanking on his name) - was he Team Christina?

I liked the "Junior Frank Sinatra" too - team Adam last season, right?

My fear/prediction is that Red will be Sundance 2.0, and I say that as a country music fan. Never could rally for that guy.

Lastly, could Miley name drop any more? "Faith Hill was my neighbor...", but she probably gets it from her dad. There was a part when he was "advising" & he mentioned someone sitting in the kitchen (it's killing me I cannot remember who it was) and Miley asked him how to play something on the guitar. #NameDroppingIsTacky

3 hours ago, Bridget said:

Side note: Noah Mac is an exception to "my rule" because he sounds like he is twice his age. He is amazing and so much better than the young Buble Wannabe (blanking on his name) - was he Team Christina?

I liked the "Junior Frank Sinatra" too - team Adam last season, right?

No, the Buble wannabe was Lowell Oakley from season eight.  He was on Team Pharrell.  I don't think Christina's ever had a crooner on any of her teams.

The "Junior Frank Sinatra" was on Team Adam two seasons ago, not one.  Riley Elmore from season eleven.

• Love 1

I guess I'm the only one who thought "Chris, could you sing with a little less emotion?"  Yeah, he's a freight train, with no finesse at all.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:32 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Personally, I'd prefer it if none of the show was live.  Home audiences have lousy taste and vote on looks as much as, if not more than, VOICE. 

On 11/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, Star Aristille said:

Chris vs. Katrina: Like I said in the previous episode thread, I thought both Chris and Katrina did well on overdone songs.  Chris had power, control, and a good lower register that could've made Rob Taylor from season eight proud when he did "I Put a Spell on You."  Katrina didn't quite measure up to Clarissa Serna's Blind from season six, but definitely delivered an original-sounding version of "Zombie" that was greater than Lacy Mandigo's version in season ten.re's to hoping he can get even farther.

Megan vs. Red: Red, meanwhile, sang a country ballad that was full of his usual twang.

Chris had power and control but sang like a robot.  "I put a spell on you, and then I did my algebra homework."  Blech.  Katreina took a classic and made it her own, with power, control and thought! She won that round by a mile.

As for Red's song, could it have been any more trite?  "Here's a list of country cliches; let's work them into a song!"  He sang well enough, but I don't care for that type of song.

5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

As for Red's song, could it have been any more trite?  "Here's a list of country cliches; let's work them into a song!"  He sang well enough, but I don't care for that type of song.

No, I don't think it could have been. But trite suits his exaggerated twang for every song and hokey (unconvincingly) personality. There's much of classic country that I like (and while Sundance wasn't my favorite in the competition, I did like him.), but I really resent those hackneyed songs as anything other than historic relics. And I normally root for the older contestants to do well, but listening to Red singing is like nails on a chalkboard to me, including his song choices. I was so disappointed that Blake advanced him over others who were so much better on his team (that would be anyone, even Megan who wasn't great, but was more ambitious.)  I'm afraid if Red advance he'll knock off others whose performances would be much more enjoyable. Hopefully, he won't advance to Lives.  That might be a nice career boost but nothing more.

• Love 2