Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: No Mo-stache, Snarky Teas, SnoofyBee, Dreampad / S09.E09: Glovestix, BrilliantPad, BRAVO, Hoopmaps

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, slowpoked said:

But how is it different from when the street musician/valet parker/etc. sign up on Venmo, and you want to tip them, and you just ask their username on Venmo and pay them the tip?

I just use Venmo as an example because it seems to be the most popular payment method out there. I'm not aware if there's an app on a bigger scale than it. 

I thought that app was weird, because I've never felt so impressed by a street musician that I wanted to give them that much money.  In her demo she gave $25 to a random performer. Do people really tip them that much? 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, starri said:

The doubling up of episodes is killing me.  Life and Star Trek: Discovery have cut into my Sunday viewing time, so I'm just picking up an episode whenever I have some downtime in the evening.  Two episodes is a lot to get through.

For me it's Star Trek and Outlander on Sundays. I've only even watched one of the Shark Tank eps at this point and skipped all the comments so far about the other one.

12 hours ago, AEMom said:

For me it's Star Trek and Outlander on Sundays. I've only even watched one of the Shark Tank eps at this point and skipped all the comments so far about the other one.

I thought that new Star Trek was only online.

Sunday is a heavy day for me too.  In addition to this show, I watch Bob's Burgers, The Simpsons, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.  But with Monday and Wednesday being an utter drought, I can watch whatever is left then.  Except when FOX pre-empts their programming for football, thereby ruining the entire night of DVR-ing.

Hoopmaps may be the worst idea I've seen on this show. If I want to play a pickup game, I'm not going to think of downloading an app. And certainly nobody will pay for it. Just go to a park.

The dog pads were brilliant, and I'd expect nothing less from the guy who made the kitty litter machine. I just hope it really does trap smells like he said it would.

I can't think of any time I walked past a stranger and thought, "I REALLY want to give that person money." Guess I'm not charitable enough for Bravo.

• Love 3
On 11/7/2017 at 9:59 AM, eel2178 said:

She thinks she has created this great brand for herself. She doesn't seem to realize that if she does convince them to rename no mo stache as one of her skinny girl products, it would be implying that it wasn't intended for overweight people.

I thought Skinnygirl was for people who want to be skinny, not who already are skinny.  Wasn't the original margarita just a lower-calorie version of a regular margarita?  So if anything, it intended for overweight people (who don't want to be overweight). 

But with that as my understanding of the brand, I have no idea on-the-go moustache wax fits into the Skinnygirl line of products.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, slowpoked said:

But how is it different from when the street musician/valet parker/etc. sign up on Venmo, and you want to tip them, and you just ask their username on Venmo and pay them the tip?

Unless the guy has a sign up that says, "to tip me use @fireswallower," you're going to have to wait until he is done burning his esophagus to find out where to send the tip. Their app uses a GPS locator to tell you the names of all the performers who are standing close to you at the moment. Unless there were dueling fire swallowers facing off in the same spot, you shouldn't have trouble selecting who want to tip from their app.

I'm not trying to say the app is a good thing. I actually think it's pretty dumb. I'm just trying to come up with explanations for why they think  they are offering someone that is currently unique to the market.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I thought Skinnygirl was for people who want to be skinny, not who already are skinny.  Wasn't the original margarita just a lower-calorie version of a regular margarita?  So if anything, it intended for overweight people (who don't want to be overweight). 

But with that as my understanding of the brand, I have no idea on-the-go moustache wax fits into the Skinnygirl line of products.

Yeah, I thought Skinny Girl was for people who wanted to be skinny too. Like diet soda. I think the waxing thing could fit into her umbrella of stuff, but I don't know if that's really going to help it sell more.

• Love 1

For me, it's so much faster and easier to throw some money in a tip jar than to search out someone using an app and then putting in the info, etc.  Seems needlessly complicated when giving someone a quick tip.  It also seems like people would "appear" to get the phone/app out and then not give a tip.  I know my thought wasn't clear, but sometimes I feel guilted into giving a tip.  With this app, I could just "pretend..."

LIked Bethanny more than I thought I would.  At least she was trying to invest as opposed to Alex who seemed to find reasons to NOT invest.  And, I think that Kevin is trying to become more visible and viable as an investor.  He is going for more equity deals rather than the endless royalty deals he had been making.

Edited by seacliffsal
Because a "q" is not a "g"
  • Love 1

The Bravo lady kept saying over and over again, "if you want to tip someone, but you have no cash."  I use plastic most of the time because I love the cash-back option, but I always have some money on me (including 2 quarters for a payphone), because you never know when an emergency arises where you need some cash.

Do people really run around with no money on them at all?  Not even a dollar to toss into someone's bucket?

7 hours ago, AEMom said:

Do people really run around with no money on them at all?  Not even a dollar to toss into someone's bucket?

Maybe you have just been to the ATM and only have $20s on you.

On 11/8/2017 at 4:02 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

The product comes first, so if I want liquid stevia I'll buy the Skinny Girl despite being neither of those things. But we live in a world where Dude Wipes is actually a thing so what do I know?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AEMom said:

I always have some money on me (including 2 quarters for a payphone),

Are you in Canada by any chance?  That's the only place I've seen a usable number of pay phone in years.

There are times I want to call a company but I don't want them to capture my phone number, and a pay phone (and an 800 number for the company) would be ideal, but I just don't see them out in the wild.

10 hours ago, AEMom said:

The Bravo lady kept saying over and over again, "if you want to tip someone, but you have no cash."  I use plastic most of the time because I love the cash-back option, but I always have some money on me (including 2 quarters for a payphone), because you never know when an emergency arises where you need some cash.

I have two hypotheses on this:

1) Yes people do run around with zero cash. The people I know who do this, do so when asked by others for cash (whether strangers or acquaintances) they can say they don't have any cash and not be lying. (I'm not being hyperbolic here. My life is a smallish sample size compared to the whole country, but this is a thing that happens).

2) This app lady is anticipating a future where it truly does become rare to carry cash. I think we're probably moving in that direction, but in more of a 20+ years from now way, not, say, 3. All these "pay people" apps are simultaneously trying to anticipate that shift and be in early early early as well as hasten that shift. 

Which is a good reason why when she pitches this now a lot of us are all "seriously, how is that more convenient?" But I do think eventually she'll be right, just nowhere near as soon as her pitch requires for her company to be worth anything right now.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Maybe you have just been to the ATM and only have $20s on you.

Honestly, if I ever was thinking of tipping someone and realized I only had $20s, I'd just skip tipping. Unless it's a restaurant where I'm paying for the meal and am getting change or using a credit card or whatever. But maybe I'm just too selfish for this woman's customer base. (I don't give handouts to homeless people on the street either).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Are you in Canada by any chance?  That's the only place I've seen a usable number of pay phone in years.

I am.  There aren't as many as there used to be, but I didn't realize they had all but vanished in the US.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AEMom said:

I am.  There aren't as many as there used to be, but I didn't realize they had all but vanished in the US.

Yep.  If you need to make a call in the U.S., it would be faster and less onerous to convince a stranger to let you use his cell phone than to find a working pay phone.  There are still some around, but not many, and they tend to be in poorer neighborhoods, and those are often targets of vandalism and don't work, 

I noticed so many in Canada that I finally stopped saying, "Look!  A pay phone." 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, AEMom said:

There are only four phonebooths left in NYC, all on West End Avenue. (The rest of the "pedastal" style phones are being slowly turned into wifi centers.)

Edited by film noire

The announcer didn't seemed to pronounce No Mo Stache incorrectly.  Instead of No and Mo rhyming,  a shortened version of "No More" he pronounced it more like No Moo Stache. 

On 11/6/2017 at 6:35 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

If that dog waste removal system is as effective as it looks, could they train adult dogs to use it, too? There are a lot of people in my town who don't clean up after their dogs, and I am SICK OF IT. 

In my neighborhood, people are surprisingly good about cleaning up after their dogs.  Cats are another story.  No leash law of poop bag ordinance for cats.  Plus, there are quite a few feral cats.  People think cats always bury their "stuff" but, apparently, no one explained that to the cats in my area.  

On 11/6/2017 at 0:34 PM, slowpoked said:

I thought it was supposed to help you relax immediately so you can fall asleep faster. It should help clear the mind, or so the sharks say.

I would be his target market - I do go to bed at a reasonable time but I don't easily fall asleep as there are a million things running through my head most of the time - chores to do, chores forgotten to do, etc. I thought Lori had a great idea to license his technology to her relatively more inexpensive pillows (compared to what he's selling at 160~). I would buy something at a $40-$50 price point. 

I can't see many people paying $160 for a pillow without knowing it would work for them.  Maybe if you sleep with music already and want something that is more portable or doesn't bother your partner.  

On 11/6/2017 at 6:32 PM, bilgistic said:

I forgot to mention that Bethenny really chaps my hide because she named her diet booze and other products "SkinnyGirl".

One of the other sharks (Laurie, I think) said something about how products with cutesy names don't last long (talking about the teas, I think). Skinny Girl is a cutesy name, IMO.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:00 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think they conceded that Sally Hansen sells something similar, but not in such a CLEVER and ADORABLE carrying case. So if one were to fall out of your handbag, you'd suffer the same shame and humiliation as you would if a tampon had fallen out, for all to see. I think carrying the wax strips in an old Altoids tin would work. Keep a few Altoids in there, and voilà: no mo-stache and no mo bad breath.

And your wax would smell minty fresh :-)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, needschocolate said:

One of the other sharks (Laurie, I think) said something about how products with cutesy names don't last long (talking about the teas, I think). 

And she should know because of how well Bagel Stuffins worked out for her.

Edited by Kerri Okie
  • Love 8
On 11/6/2017 at 0:53 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I got the impression that he was there only to say, "Tell us about your background." 

I thought we were rid of Cheat-Rod after the one painful episode...

Now he's back, admiring the "diversity" of pitchers who are identical twins.

SMH.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, needschocolate said:

People think cats always bury their "stuff" but, apparently, no one explained that to the cats in my area.  

If they are Siamese or Persian, they expect their slave cats to bury it for them.

• Love 3
On 11/7/2017 at 4:36 PM, retrograde said:

Well sure I wouldn't give it to a colleague

My husband bought the "wake the f*ck up" for his boss while watching this ep.  Yes, he works in a very casual environment...

• Love 2

Bethenny Frankle is too try hard.  And her bio was as self-congratulatory as I thought it would be.  I know that's the intent but others have been able to do their bio without sounding as egotistical as she does.

• Love 3
On November 9, 2017 at 10:25 AM, AEMom said:

I never carry cash. But there are also no more pay phones that work in NYC. 

Venmo’s official policy is that you should only use it for small transactions with people you know and trust. Apparently that’s their defense when they refuse to provide any fraud protection - I’ve been reading a lot of people being scammed because of that. E.g.: 

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/19/scammers-using-venmo-steal-pricey-camera-gear/

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/08/venmo-scammer-got-caught-photographers-targeted/

I know a lot of people using Venmo but after reading about this kind of thing I haven’t been interested in signing up for it.

So I wondered what the Bravo policy is on fraud protection. It’s deaigned for tipping, but what’s if someone uses it for a large purchase, like described in these links? Are they also out of luck? 

On 2/11/2018 at 9:19 AM, cooksdelight said:

PayPal is the only form of online payment I use, and the only non-bank payment I trust. I joined PayPal when it first started and I’ve never had a problem.

Hope it stays that way for you.  My PayPal account was hacked and I had a terrible time straightening out with the bank.