Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: No Mo-stache, Snarky Teas, SnoofyBee, Dreampad / S09.E09: Glovestix, BrilliantPad, BRAVO, Hoopmaps

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Bethenny Frankel sits in with the Sharks. Inventions include a line of teas laced with attitude; a solution for a hairy problem; a product to keep babies safe and mess-free during diaper changes; and a technology that can improve sleep and reduce stress.

An automatic dog potty system that wraps and then seals the waste to maintain a clean and odor-free home from an entrepreneur in Chicago; two entrepreneurs from Phoenix designed an app to make tipping easier; twin entrepreneurs from Sacramento hope to make the world of pickup basketball much simpler; and an invention that absorbs moisture and deodorizes sweaty sports gear from an entrepreneur in Ashburn, Va.

That dog potty system is intriguing.  Anyone who can make the unsavory process of dealing with pet waste less unpleasant could make a fortune.  I love my kitties to death, but I hate cleaning that litter box.  The task itself is not so bad, but the frequency of doing it every single day is annoying.  But.... dog potty implies that it is something the dog has to be trained to use, much like a toddler has to be trained to use the regular human toilet.

Don't we already have an app that makes tipping easier?  It's called the Calculator.

People have been dreading Bethenny's visit for months, so I think this topic is gonna have a lot of negativity.

• Love 2

I do machine learning for a living and call BS on the Bravo people using it or even knowing how it works. A tipping app has no use for machine learning. They just kept repeating it because it's a hot buzzword in tech right now, kinda like "cloud" was a few years ago. The Bravo business model seems weak to me, like a less versatile Venmo. I'm surprised Mark and Lori jumped on it.

I've never watched any of the Real Housewives shows - does Bethenny always talk so fast and interrupt so much? She kept re-branding the No Mo Mustache product every five seconds before the business owners even accepted her offer. Imagine trying to execute a strategy with her as a business partner.

Are we going to have sob story comparisons between A-Rod and a LatinX business owner every time he's on? So boring.

• Love 4

To my surprise I’ve liked Alex. He seems sincere. I really liked the mom with the odor sticks. Her speech about fear resonated with me, even if it was a little corny. Lori and Alex seem like a great fit for her.

Props to the editor who cut to Alex after the Madonna mention.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Beth will never say Jill Zarin's name again. "A woman approached me and asked me if I wanted to do this show called 'Housewives'..."

She won't give her credit.  Because she became a success All. By. Herself.  

• Love 4

I love this show but was not drawn to any of the pitches this week. 

I have no problem with Alex or Bethany.  I like Alex a lot.  I don't know all much about them.  I do know that many hate them though!  

I raised 2 boys and never needed a changing pad.  I didn't even have a changing table. That product seemed very.limited due to its size.  I don't think that will fly off the shelves.

When you wax anything it lasts a long time. Why would you need to take wax  with you. And a kit?  No. Another clunker.  Tip calculator too. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I've never watched any of the Real Housewives shows - does Bethenny always talk so fast and interrupt so much?

Yes.  When she and Lori were yammering I felt sorry for Kevin sitting there between them.  It made me wish for Barbara, and that's saying something.

9 minutes ago, wings707 said:

When you wax anything it lasts a long time. Why would you need to take wax  with you.

Good point.  If the hair's long enough to be removed with wax, it didn't pop up in the car on the way to your important business meeting.

And isn't there a risk of irritation with wax?  Which would be more embarrassing?  Showing up somewhere with a moustache or a big red splotch?

• Love 10

At least Lori's Sgt. Pepper coat is a change from that cut out above the chest dress she always used to wear. I was impressed with Alex Rodriguez, he was smart and asked lots of good questions. [I am not a sports fan.] I saw the dog toilet machine on TV late one night so I figured that would go far (and hooray for Kevin for taking a sniff).

• Love 1
On 11/3/2017 at 11:59 AM, Thrifty said:

Don't we already have an app that makes tipping easier?  It's called the Calculator.

It’s not so much the calculation of the tip itself, but the payment of the tip. If you don’t have cash at the moment, you can’t tip even if you want to. 

I thought of Venmo immediately when this pitch came up. I don’t use it often though so I don’t know if it works with tipping. But I have paid vendors (who are not my friends) on there before, so I don’t know if this Bravo app is any different or special. 

I’m surprised Kevin jumped on the mustache waxing product. It’s the kind of product he usually laughs off before, even if it has sales.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

If that dog waste removal system is as effective as it looks, could they train adult dogs to use it, too? There are a lot of people in my town who don't clean up after their dogs, and I am SICK OF IT. 

This product is aimed at people who have small dogs and live in apartments/condos or puppies in the process of house breaking.  I have had many dogs in multiples over the years and use puppy pads when they are very young but not to the exclusion of taking them outside regularly.  I have never had a puppy or dog who would poop on a pad.  They pee there because it is impregnated with a smell that draws them to it.  

I think this is a ridiculous product. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

If that dog waste removal system is as effective as it looks, could they train adult dogs to use it, too? There are a lot of people in my town who don't clean up after their dogs, and I am SICK OF IT. 

You could use it for adult toy dogs, like Yorkies, Chihuahua's, etc. But anything bigger than a French Bulldog will produce too much volume of pee for this product

• Love 1

BTW, that music pillow guy had to be what Cuban calls a "Golddigger". He was clearly smart enough to know that there was NO WAY he'd get a deal with that valuation, so showing up on TV was just about getting exposure and not about making a deal. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, wings707 said:

I raised 2 boys and never needed a changing pad.  I didn't even have a changing table. 

Little boys are not going to let a piece of Velcro stop them from getting their hands on their ding-a-lings.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, KHenry14 said:

BTW, that music pillow guy had to be what Cuban calls a "Golddigger". He was clearly smart enough to know that there was NO WAY he'd get a deal with that valuation, so showing up on TV was just about getting exposure and not about making a deal. 

I kept waiting for someone to ask him the science behind how it improves sleep. Is the music somehow supposed to induce REM sleep for longer periods?

4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

It’s not so much the calculation of the tip itself, but the payment of the tip. If you don’t have cash at the moment, you can’t tip even if you want to. 

They didn't explain much about the way it works. Is the money coming out of my checking account or being charged to my credit card? If so, then how is this safe from identity theft (which they claimed it was)?

14 hours ago, wings707 said:

I have no problem with Alex or Bethany.  I like Alex a lot.  I don't know all much about them.  I do know that many hate them though!  

I wonder what the terms of their contracts are for appearing on the show. Are guest sharks guaranteed to make at least on deal?

S9E8:
Bethenny wasn't quite as bad as I thought she'd be, at least she was a (slight) upgrade over the Spanx person.  At least she was wearing something I would consider appropriate for a business transaction (yes, I know, entertainment, but still . . . )  Maybe it's cause I'm an old fogey, but those off the shoulder things don't seem at all attractive or comfortable.  I guess the show really is a reflection of gender dynamics - men can be comfortable, women are supposed to be stylish. 

I couldn't understand the whole discussion about how it would be SO UNUSUAL to have on the go fashion kits (sorry, I'm sure there is a better description) for women.  My daughter got married last year, and I can tell you there are a million of these, at all levels of cost, out there.  The hair strips would be a great fit for those, because at weddings there really is a lot of last minute  emergencies, everyone (women especially) concerned with their appearance.  I thought the segment went on way too long, I had to fast forward to the inevitable Bethenny/Lori deal, not that there was any doubt.  The idea about product extension (no mo bad breath etc) was a good one.

I liked the snarky tea, and the lady herself.  I would buy that if I saw it on the shelf (I'm a cool old fogey), but I can't imagine buying it on-line.  I do agree that there needs to be more emphasis that it's a quality product, not just a gimmick.  Not everyone shops at Walmart, so I don't think  the names are too offensive for general sales.  "Snarky" doesn't just refer to women - couldn't she develop a line of snarky teas for men? 

I thought the diaper enclosure was a very good idea, but aside from marketing accessories (ie, toys to attach etc), I don't really see how it is anything more than a product, not a company. 

I really liked the DreamPad, but I think it's an uphill battle explaining how it really is different from a pillow with a (sort of) speaker.  If it were less expensive, I would have liked to buy a few as gifts.  That valuation, I think, was almost designed to ensure he would not get a deal, so I'm surprised Mark wasn't calling him a gold-digger, except, perhaps, it really is a good product. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I kept waiting for someone to ask him the science behind how it improves sleep. Is the music somehow supposed to induce REM sleep for longer periods?

I thought it was supposed to help you relax immediately so you can fall asleep faster. It should help clear the mind, or so the sharks say.

I would be his target market - I do go to bed at a reasonable time but I don't easily fall asleep as there are a million things running through my head most of the time - chores to do, chores forgotten to do, etc. I thought Lori had a great idea to license his technology to her relatively more inexpensive pillows (compared to what he's selling at 160~). I would buy something at a $40-$50 price point. 

23 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

They didn't explain much about the way it works. Is the money coming out of my checking account or being charged to my credit card? If so, then how is this safe from identity theft (which they claimed it was)?

Yes, like all other payment apps, it would probably be that way. You'll have to link/input a debit and/or credit card account to do the payments. Which is why I'm also confused how exactly it is different from Venmo. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I thought it was supposed to help you relax immediately so you can fall asleep faster. It should help clear the mind, or so the sharks say.

Then it really isn't going to help someone who truly has a sleep disorder. It won't help you stay asleep longer. It won't improve the quality of the sleep you do get. He kept saying it worked better than other pillows that play music.  If all it does is distract you to get you to fall asleep faster, then what is the difference between his product and what is already on the market? I would think books on tape or a relaxation tape would help you fall asleep faster than any music would. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Yes, like all other payment apps, it would probably be that way. You'll have to link/input a debit and/or credit card account to do the payments. Which is why I'm also confused how exactly it is different from Venmo. 

I think where they are trying to claim they're different is in customer acquisition. The street musician signs up in advance. When you decide you want to tip him, you pull up their app. It tells you, "The following three people are performing within 10 feet of you right now." Then you know whose account to put the tip into. Again, if this means it's linking to one of my bank accounts or credit cards that any good hacker could easily trace, I'm not interested. I would also think that street performers would also be leery of making their names and account information available to anyone who just happens to see them on the Venice pier. 

4 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I think where they are trying to claim they're different is in customer acquisition. The street musician signs up in advance. When you decide you want to tip him, you pull up their app. It tells you, "The following three people are performing within 10 feet of you right now." Then you know whose account to put the tip into. Again, if this means it's linking to one of my bank accounts or credit cards that any good hacker could easily trace, I'm not interested. I would also think that street performers would also be leery of making their names and account information available to anyone who just happens to see them on the Venice pier. 

It doesn't seem any riskier than Patreon, which is very successful. I can understand wariness, but more and more people are just OK with this stuff.

21 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Dueling cold-shoulder blouses, kill me now.

SERIOUSLY. When are these going to die already?!?

5 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Little boys are not going to let a piece of Velcro stop them from getting their hands on their ding-a-lings.

I'm crying laughing!

I'm so glad we got another 44 minutes with Lieutenant Admiral Greiner. When she said she wore many hats, I instantly thought of...

IMG_3806.JPG

• Love 5

Ok so just last week I purchased a waxing kit for about 5 bucks at cvs--it had several strips just like those women showed, where you rubbed it together with your fingers and applied the strip--so they had nerve claiming they are the "ONLY" people who sell it, etc. I can get it cheaper at CVS, so I'm out :)

• Love 6

Perhaps it's just that I'm relieved that we don't have to see Chris Sacca any more, but I honestly didn't think Bethenny was that bad.  I mean, she was dressed more professionally than Lori, and despite her...personality, she actually seemed more in tune with things that I would have thought.  I mean, she knew what a K-cup costs off the top her head.  And I actually did think the emergency waxing kit was a good idea.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I do remember rooting for her on Apprentice: Martha Stewart.

God, I'm saying nice things about a Real Housewife.  I mean, this PARTICULAR Real Housewife.  What's wrong with me?

Also, I have a mouth like a stevedore, but I don't think I could drink a beverage called "Calm the Fuck Down."

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

Ok so just last week I purchased a waxing kit for about 5 bucks at cvs--it had several strips just like those women showed, where you rubbed it together with your fingers and applied the strip--so they had nerve claiming they are the "ONLY" people who sell it, etc. I can get it cheaper at CVS, so I'm out :)

I think they conceded that Sally Hansen sells something similar, but not in such a CLEVER and ADORABLE carrying case. So if one were to fall out of your handbag, you'd suffer the same shame and humiliation as you would if a tampon had fallen out, for all to see. I think carrying the wax strips in an old Altoids tin would work. Keep a few Altoids in there, and voilà: no mo-stache and no mo bad breath.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, starri said:

Perhaps it's just that I'm relieved that we don't have to see Chris Sacca any more, but I honestly didn't think Bethenny was that bad.  I mean, she was dressed more professionally than Lori, and despite her...personality, she actually seemed more in tune with things that I would have thought.  I mean, she knew what a K-cup costs off the top her head.  And I actually did think the emergency waxing kit was a good idea.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I do remember rooting for her on Apprentice: Martha Stewart.

God, I'm saying nice things about a Real Housewife.  I mean, this PARTICULAR Real Housewife.  What's wrong with me?

Also, I have a mouth like a stevedore, but I don't think I could drink a beverage called "Calm the Fuck Down."

I liked her on Martha's Apprentice, too, but she's been...different...since then. I'm ashamed to say I watched a bit of her show that was a spinoff of the RHoNY, and she is batshit. I mean, I am, too, but I fully admit it and relish the help I get. She's the brand of crazy that doesn't accept that she needs help, e.g., a narcissist, i.e., all of the Housewives and every other "reality show" star.

Richard Branson again next week, y'all. Lord give me strength.

• Love 3

Could there have been more soft lighting around Bethenney?  She had more than Lori.  

The valuation Sleep Pillow gave himself was ridiculous.  I have to think it was an exposure play because he could not have truly believed he would get a deal. I’d have to try one out at the store or make sure Amazon provides returns to try this.  I think white noise in this would be relaxing.  I don’t find music relaxing enough for sleep. 

The baby device could be useful.  I would give my babies a toy or turn on the mobile but they would sometimes drag their toy down there and also hands at times.  I see so many cool products now that we somehow survivied without with I had my kids in the late 90s and early 2000s. 

I’d give the Snarky Teas as a gift but unless it actually taste better than what i normally make, I’d pass even though having a few of these for display would be fun. 

I imagine the Beauty disasters kit will sell well.  I wouldn’t buy it but if the price is right it might be a good stocking stuffer. 

Lori and Bethenney cleaned up the tank getting every deal.

I enjoyed this episode and found Bethenney very watchable. 

• Love 1

I've never encountered Bethenny before and did not love her. 

The tea lady was *cringe*. She came off like a mom trying too hard to be hip with her teenager's friends. But I do see people buying the tea for a gift, just because gift buying is hard, and tea is a good gift and tea with a funny label is probably a better gift. 

Bravo was dumb. The app only works if everyone has the app, which they don't. 

Those Glovestix things I would probably actually use on boxing gloves. They'd beat teabags or car airfreshners, which is my standard lazy solution. 

• Love 5
On 11/6/2017 at 1:24 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Which would be more embarrassing?  Showing up somewhere with a moustache or a big red splotch?

"I know it LOOKS like the beginning of a herpes simplex 2 outbreak? but it's not! Just a waxing issue, bruh!"

4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I mean, I am, too, but I fully admit it and relish the help I get. 

LOL (and yes to the rest re: Frankel).

At least Lori's Sgt. Pepper coat is a change from that cut out above the chest dress she always used to wear. 

I thought she'd joined Scientology's Sea Org:

sea org.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I forgot to mention that Bethenny really chaps my hide because she named her diet booze and other products "SkinnyGirl".

She thinks she has created this great brand for herself. She doesn't seem to realize that if she does convince them to rename no mo stache as one of her skinny girl products, it would be implying that it wasn't intended for overweight people.

14 hours ago, retrograde said:

The tea lady was *cringe*. She came off like a mom trying too hard to be hip with her teenager's friends. But I do see people buying the tea for a gift, just because gift buying is hard, and tea is a good gift and tea with a funny label is probably a better gift. 

I'd buy tea as a gift; however, there are very few people I'd be willing to give tea to if the label is going to be insulting to them.

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 4

I'm not sure how I feel about Bethenny Frankel, maybe because I don't like guest Sharks in general.

Kind of selfish to say this but I wish they would stop with the guest Sharks... with the exception of Ashton Kutcher. I actually like him as a Shark.

Edited by lexytheblasian
  • Love 10

Why can't they have NICE sharks like John Paul DeJoria come back?

I guess in Beth-a-ninny's skinny mind "strong women" = bitches.  And then everybody is getting bleeped.  This is now on Sunday, folks, and I wonder if it going to be beaten by Sunday Night Football (even with football's ratings going down).

Bring back my Shark Tank!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

This is now on Sunday, folks, and I wonder if it going to be beaten by Sunday Night Football (even with football's ratings going down).

I still find this to be a curious move by ABC, moving it to Sunday. There was something exciting about watching the show on a Friday night - for me, anyway. 

• Love 6
On 11/6/2017 at 1:08 PM, eel2178 said:

But how is it different from when the street musician/valet parker/etc. sign up on Venmo, and you want to tip them, and you just ask their username on Venmo and pay them the tip?

I just use Venmo as an example because it seems to be the most popular payment method out there. I'm not aware if there's an app on a bigger scale than it. 

3 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

I still find this to be a curious move by ABC, moving it to Sunday. There was something exciting about watching the show on a Friday night - for me, anyway. 

Friday night is typically the TV dumpster. Shows are generally sent there to die if they aren't "performing" well. By traditional logic, it would have been a promotion to move the show to Sunday night, but Sundays are seriously crowded with sports and premium cable shows. The move is indeed curious, and even more so because they have been showing two shows in a row for the past two weeks.

• Love 4

The doubling up of episodes is killing me.  Life and Star Trek: Discovery have cut into my Sunday viewing time, so I'm just picking up an episode whenever I have some downtime in the evening.  Two episodes is a lot to get through.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I'd buy tea as a gift; however, there are very few people I'd be willing to give tea to if the label is going to be insulting to them.

Well sure I wouldn't give it to a colleague, but I think many longtime friends, siblings, and romantic partners know each other well enough to give something labelled "Namaste MotherF**ker" or "Get Your A** In Bed." The latter would be pretty funny  coming to me from anyone who knows me well.