Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
deaja

JTV: Jewelry Shopping From The Comfort Of Home

3 hours ago, Lady J said:

I've got to give props to JTV shipping. The last two items that I ordered were shipped free, and I got them faster than anything .from QVC.

They do ship fast. Everything I've ordered has shipped quickly.

On another topic, I don't think I've ever seen JTV do advance orders. If they show it on air, they have it in the warehouse.

• Like 5

I've never ordered from JTV, I thought I was over the joolery bit.  But they almost got me the other day as I checked to see if they took Paypal.  A silver moonstone ring with an opaque white stone and a circle of blue.  Only $40. 

• Like 7

They have a lot of clearance things now for $30 to $40 (sterling items). I wanted to cut back on jewelry purchases for a while, having bought a lot in November and December, but I'm tempted!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Off Park jewelry is on late tonight for my fellow night owls.  Can't wait to see the jeweled handbags and whimsical critter jewelry.

Ooooh I love Off Park.

• Like 3

Lisa Mason on JTV with her own jewlery line.  First I've heard of it, but ive been missing about a month from here. 

The JTV cameras are not as kind as the QVC cameras. 

• Like 8

Lisa's items aren't revolutionary but they are tasteful and attractive and appear to be well made.

On the negative side, she has her Love More brand name written on a lot of the items.  I react to that about like I do to the shirts with stuff printed on them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Byteme said:

Lisa Mason on JTV with her own jewlery line.  First I've heard of it, but ive been missing about a month from here. 

The JTV cameras are not as kind as the QVC cameras. 

Whoa! You aren't kidding about those cameras. Horrible lighting too.

Lisa can hardly get a word in with that motormouth. Gawd, that is one thick accent on that host. Not easy on my ears.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit!  When did Misty get married?  She just said "My husband, who is in the ministry..."   

I don't know for sure, but it seems like this is husband number two. She mentions a son who sounds like he is older.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Lady J said:

I don't know for sure, but it seems like this is husband number two. She mentions a son who sounds like he is older.

Yes, that would be right.  I just did not know she had remarried.  Last thing I knew she had broken off an engagement.  Funny.  We knew everything about BFF Nikki's second marriage but not a peep out of Misty.

• Like 6

Question for those of you who've bought jewelry from JTV: what do you think about their lab created and simulated gemstones? Specifically lab created blue spinel and simulated Bella Luce tanzanite.

My problem with the blue spinel is that the stones are so big they look fake. I love blue spinel and was hoping to get some JTV pieces that had the look of cornflower blue sapphire. I did find a pair of small stud earrings, 5mm rounds, that had the right authentic look and the beautiful blue color. But when I tried a ring with a big blue spinel, about 10 mm x 8mm, it looked artificial, like blue glass. They use even bigger stones for pendants, just huge. I wish they'd sell a believable size spinel ("believable" like they say for small Bella stones), like a 7mm x 5mm.

Same with the Bella simulated tanzanite. They do a great job with the tanzanite color, but the stones in most items, especially rings, are impossibly huge. I don't want the look of a $25,000 tanzanite ring with a big honking stone. I just want the nice color in a believable size stone.

The colors are off on some of their lab created stones. Their padparadscha sapphire is a bright harsh orange, but the natural stones I've seen on Gem Shopping network and Google searches are a delicate peachy pink.

The JTV Mahaleo ruby is a natural stone (enhanced with glass fillings) but again, the stones they use are so big they aren't believable. I found one small Mahaleo 5-stone band ring with little stones, and it looks very good. But most of the pieces have huge stones.

• Like 7

I saw this bracelet NOH033 with the smaller stones when they showed it on air.  The other lab blue spinel pieces had huge stones, but I will bet the bracelet would look realistic.

I have not tried any of the JTV lab created stones, so I am afraid I can't speak to the usual quality

• Like 7

On 1/31/2018 at 9:15 PM, Denver Hoosier said:

Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit!  When did Misty get married?  She just said "My husband, who is in the ministry..."   

I, too, was shocked when Misty mentioned her husband. I think she got married about the time she put the spray tan gun on high (a habit she seems to have permanently adopted.) I was watching a Christmas Moisannite show and she said she was asking hubby to buy her the big 3 carat 14k pendant to go with her earrings. She said her wedding set was Moissanite just like her BFF’s. I respect that she was much more private than Nikki. Interesting that they both got married within weeks of each other.

• Like 8

Watched a little of the moissanite (diamond simulant) show today with Misty and Charles. I was shocked at the prices they are charging for this jewelry when the metal is not even solid gold! Most of the items were either "platineve," which is sterling plated with platinum and rhodium, or gold plated sterling. They do have some solid 14K items, but I don't understand why in the world they are charging as much for the plated items as the solid gold items.

Examples: item MOS291, "Moissanite Fire® 3.29ctw Diamond Equivalent Weight Round Platineve™ Ring with Band," 679.99 for platineve metal; compared to item MEC176, "Moissanite Fire® 2.38ctw Diamond Equivalent Weight 14k Yellow Gold Ring," also 679.99.

Compare MSN481W, "Moissanite Fire® 6.13ct Diamond Equivalent Weight Round Platineve™ Ring" (large solitaire) to MSN481Y, "Moissanite Fire® 6.13ct Diamond Equivalent Weight 14k Yellow Gold over Silver Ring." Identical prices, 899.99. And so on -- many other similar examples.

I don't wear moissanite (not a fan of diamonds or similar white stones, as I prefer colored gems), but if I did, I would certainly hesitate to pay the same amount for a plated ring as a solid gold ring. Without checking the whole inventory, it looks to me like Charles wants to use platineve instead of white gold. Fine, but he shouldn't be charging gold prices for plated sterling. I thought the whole point of making gold or platinum plated sterling was to have a cheaper product than solid gold.

Definition of platineve from the JTV site:

https://www.jtv.com/library/gemstone-glossary.html#padparadscha

(Platineve definition is on the same glossary page as paparadscha)

"Platineve™ (Plat eh NEVE) is an exclusive process to Jewelry Television that contains platinum and other precious metals clad over sterling silver. The Platineve finish ensures jewelry will have a durable shine and brilliant luster. Platineve is nickel free and contains not only Platinum but also rhodium, which is a member of the platinum family. The addition of rhodium adds an anti-tarnish feature to sterling silver jewelry. Platineve gives jewelry an even whiter, more brilliant luster."

• Like 8

I"m starting to watch JTV for laughs. A while ago Scott said, " Ladies and Gentlemen, I hope my sincerity is coming through " .  He says shit like this all of the time, it is vastly entertaining.

• Like 6

I bought a pair of moissanite earrings in 14k from Evine when they were closing out the line years back.  I paid $149.99 for them.  The moissanite is so much more diamond-y (technical term, doncha know) than the cz out there and at 3/4 total ctw they look very real.  At the price I paid for them, they are both an excellent value and a source of peace of mind when wearing them.  At $150, It wouldn't be a tragedy if I lost one or both.  Real top quality diamonds would have cost so much more.

All that being said, I would NEVER pay JTV's prices for moissanite in non -gold.  If I am paying $7-800, I want mother earth diamonds.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Denver Hoosier said:

I bought a pair of moissanite earrings in 14k from Evine when they were closing out the line years back.  I paid $149.99 for them.  The moissanite is so much more diamond-y (technical term, doncha know) than the cz out there and at 3/4 total ctw they look very real.  At the price I paid for them, they are both an excellent value and a source of peace of mind when wearing them.  At $150, It wouldn't be a tragedy if I lost one or both.  Real top quality diamonds would have cost so much more.

All that being said, I would NEVER pay JTV's prices for moissanite in non -gold.  If I am paying $7-800, I want mother earth diamonds.

That's interesting, I know nothing about moissanite. In fact till I saw it on JTV I had never heard of it.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Me too. I'm shocked at what they charge for moissanite in plated silver.

• Like 5

Their cameras can certainly zoom into those pieces of jewelry that are filled with 0.02 or 0.03 carat diamonds.  Occasionally I'll try to count them up and then divide from the total carat weight, but for some it's practically impossible because of the setting and the fact the diamonds are so small (obviously that's intentional so for some pieces it looks like you're getting a bigger diamond instead of a whole chunk of chips; I may need to take up a new hobby).  And I can't recall the last time anyone on air mentioned the grades of their diamonds.  I'm pretty sure they're generally meh.

• Like 6

JTV diamonds have always been a crapshoot.  They have good ones and bad ones and you never know which ones you will get until you get a piece home, because the hosts swear every piece has the brightest, whitest diamonds evah!  (Insert eye roll).

During the recession of '08, they were buying a lot of inventory from bankrupt jewellers. During that time you could pick up some very high grade diamonds for excellent prices.  Again, not all were good, but you had an excellent chance of getting a stunning piece.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Denver Hoosier said:

JTV diamonds have always been a crapshoot.  They have good ones and bad ones and you never know which ones you will get until you get a piece home, because the hosts swear every piece has the brightest, whitest diamonds evah!  (Insert eye roll).

During the recession of '08, they were buying a lot of inventory from bankrupt jewellers. During that time you could pick up some very high grade diamonds for excellent prices.  Again, not all were good, but you had an excellent chance of getting a stunning piece.

Yeah, I remember that Gems TV is one of the establishments whose products they acquired (along with a few of the hosts).  It seems that in the past 6 or 7 years or so their overall quality has gone down.  Gold prices certainly don't help.

• Like 5

Jennifer Miller, the sanitizer-swigging motormouth referred to on another thread is, and has always been, annoying as heck.  I don't think God wasted a ton of brain cells on that one.

I remember her from the old Shop at Home, and while she wasn't as weird as Kim Prentiss, she was every bit as intellectually-challenged.  

They had some real winners there (and of course that is where Lisa R got her start).  I found Libby Floyd tolerable, if none too bright, and liked Lea Little and Shawn Diddy, but the rest did nothing at all for me.

Edited by Denver Hoosier
  • Like 4

One thing I will say in their favor is that quite a few of their rings have a wide range of sizes (the last ring they had was in whole sizes 4-12, sterling silver).  That's nice for those of us with larger or, in my case, smaller hands and is also useful when it's a piece that can't easily be sized, if at all.  On the other hand, unlike other networks they generally don't do a range of prices for things like bracelets.

• Like 5

Letusprocrastinate, I also appreciate the range of ring sizes available. I wear a size 4 as a pinky ring, so I can use that size if the ring is a petite design -- like a narrow band with a small solitaire, or a small 3-stone ring.

Speaking of bracelets, the only thing JTV does that really ticks me off is inaccurate measurement of bracelets. The bracelets are almost always 1/4" longer than they say. I read every word of the website product descriptions, trying to be sure I get the right bracelet length, and when the bracelet arrives, sure enough, it's longer. For example, if they say the bracelet is 7", it will actually be 7 1/4". What they are doing wrong is failing to add the length of the clasp to the bracelet length.

On air, sometimes the host measures a bracelet and says it's longer than the description, or they will say "This bracelet is generously sized." I don't want it generously sized. I want to know the exact length! QVC and HSN always give you the correct measurements. Why can't JTV do it?

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:19 PM, Girlydiva53 said:

Rockefellas is right before Girlfriend Friday. It's almost as bad.

You have 3 men hosts selling women's Jewelry with a man's show title!   Screwed up.  I watched it and then quit watching it.  Men try to be funny and aren't. Best part of show is crickets.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:46 PM, Coffeecup said:

They do ship fast. Everything I've ordered has shipped quickly.

On another topic, I don't think I've ever seen JTV do advance orders. If they show it on air, they have it in the warehouse.

If you get written appraisal ,it takes almost 3 weeks.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, Coffeecup said:

They have a lot of clearance things now for $30 to $40 (sterling items). I wanted to cut back on jewelry purchases for a while, having bought a lot in November and December, but I'm tempted!

I have seen as low as $19.95.

• Like 4

Is it better to buy a $89 1CT Gem  Sterling Silver Ring with Gold plate valued at $109 from JTV or buy a 14KT Gold , 4 CT top of the line ring worth $20,000 retail for $595 from Gem Shopping Network?  I look at the  GSN  purchase as an investment that will go up in value and I look at the JTV cheaper purchase as a ring where value will go down, and I know I would be lucky to get half of what I spent on it.  Your thoughts?

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, CriticalMass said:

I, too, was shocked when Misty mentioned her husband. I think she got married about the time she put the spray tan gun on high (a habit she seems to have permanently adopted.) I was watching a Christmas Moisannite show and she said she was asking hubby to buy her the big 3 carat 14k pendant to go with her earrings. She said her wedding set was Moissanite just like her BFF’s. I respect that she was much more private than Nikki. Interesting that they both got married within weeks of each other.

I remember tuning in late and I saw brown hands and thought JTV hired an Umpa Lumpa.  That show I didn't know if she was trying to sell me Jewelry or a box of candy!

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, Coffeecup said:

Watched a little of the moissanite (diamond simulant) show today with Misty and Charles. I was shocked at the prices they are charging for this jewelry when the metal is not even solid gold! Most of the items were either "platineve," which is sterling plated with platinum and rhodium, or gold plated sterling. They do have some solid 14K items, but I don't understand why in the world they are charging as much for the plated items as the solid gold items.

Examples: item MOS291, "Moissanite Fire® 3.29ctw Diamond Equivalent Weight Round Platineve™ Ring with Band," 679.99 for platineve metal; compared to item MEC176, "Moissanite Fire® 2.38ctw Diamond Equivalent Weight 14k Yellow Gold Ring," also 679.99.

Compare MSN481W, "Moissanite Fire® 6.13ct Diamond Equivalent Weight Round Platineve™ Ring" (large solitaire) to MSN481Y, "Moissanite Fire® 6.13ct Diamond Equivalent Weight 14k Yellow Gold over Silver Ring." Identical prices, 899.99. And so on -- many other similar examples.

I don't wear moissanite (not a fan of diamonds or similar white stones, as I prefer colored gems), but if I did, I would certainly hesitate to pay the same amount for a plated ring as a solid gold ring. Without checking the whole inventory, it looks to me like Charles wants to use platineve instead of white gold. Fine, but he shouldn't be charging gold prices for plated sterling. I thought the whole point of making gold or platinum plated sterling was to have a cheaper product than solid gold.

Definition of platineve from the JTV site:

https://www.jtv.com/library/gemstone-glossary.html#padparadscha

(Platineve definition is on the same glossary page as paparadscha)

"Platineve™ (Plat eh NEVE) is an exclusive process to Jewelry Television that contains platinum and other precious metals clad over sterling silver. The Platineve finish ensures jewelry will have a durable shine and brilliant luster. Platineve is nickel free and contains not only Platinum but also rhodium, which is a member of the platinum family. The addition of rhodium adds an anti-tarnish feature to sterling silver jewelry. Platineve gives jewelry an even whiter, more brilliant luster."

Yes, I don't see bargain prices at JTV and think they are high for Sterling Silver plated gold.  You can get similar items at Shop LC for $15.95 compared to JTV's $39.95 price. JTV best items are no match for Gem Shopping Network either. JTV's best Diamond ring is Diamond chips and maybe 10KT gold, with GSN you get14Kt or 18KT with at least 1/2 CT  colored Diamond with other diamonds and this ring will be worth more money if you sell. You will be lucky to get half of what you paid with JTV Diamond chips.  JTV's advantage is with their Pearls and gold Oro items , but ORO Gold has raised prices, but still pretty good for New retail gold Jewelry. 

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, Lady J said:

I"m starting to watch JTV for laughs. A while ago Scott said, " Ladies and Gentlemen, I hope my sincerity is coming through " .  He says shit like this all of the time, it is vastly entertaining.

I remember his speech on how he knew what all the people watching were going through out there with economy.  Well no, Lose your job , try to keep your kids in college, get behind on house payments, and then you will know what people are going through.   He never has said anything like that again to my knowledge . I figure the letters came in on that one.  Hosts make big time money , I doubt if they can relate to most people.  I know one host is listed with Net Worth of $1.5 million, I can tell you it is more than that, because Art, Cash, Jewelry, and other in house items are not figured in.   Net worth's for Hosts range $800.000 to $8 million, and that is how they can go so long between jobs. 

2 hours ago, Gbrentburns said:

You have 3 men hosts selling women's Jewelry with a man's show title!   Screwed up.  I watched it and then quit watching it.  Men try to be funny and aren't. Best part of show is crickets.

If you get written appraisal ,it takes almost 3 weeks.

I have seen as low as $19.95.

They claim Girl Friend Friday is their #1 show.   I check YouTube for viewers and they are down to 30 people and I used to see over 100 people watching. One can assume if  YouTube went from 123 to 30 , that viewership is down from site, TV, and other sources.  I think that is like 75% down viewership.

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, Denver Hoosier said:

Jennifer Miller, the sanitizer-swigging motormouth referred to on another thread is, and has always been, annoying as heck.  I don't think God wasted a ton of brain cells on that one.

I remember her from the old Shop at Home, and while she wasn't as weird as Kim Prentiss, she was every bit as intellectually-challenged.  

They had some real winners there (and of course that is where Lisa R got her start).  I found Libby Floyd tolerable, if none too bright, and liked Lea Little and Shawn Diddy, but the rest did nothing at all for me.

She made a statement on Precious Metals I didn't agree with, but I think she is smart.  She runs a Jewelry Shop in down town Knoxville and someday I hope to check it out.  She is very good at displaying her Jewelry.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gbrentburns said:

I want to hear what everyone here thinks of JTV compared to Gem Shopping Network, and compared to Shop LC. 

I don't think it's fair to compare JTV  to Gem Shopping Network, because GSN sells (mostly) high end and estate jewelry. JTV has a few expensive high end items, if you pick through their website looking for 14K and 18K gemstone jewelry (their most expensive item is an African spessartite 18K necklace for $53,849.99, and they have a good selection of expensive tanzanite jewelry) but high end jewelry isn't their core business at this time. To hear the long term JTV hosts talk, it sounds like they used to sell a lot of high end stuff before the recession, but not any more. Shop LC, the few times I have watched it, has a mid to high end 14K gold pieces only once in a rare while.

JTV and Shop LC are both mass market retailers, compared to GSN which is marketing to a smaller, more affluent demographic. I think JTV is aiming for affordable price + quality, and in my opinion they have better quality jewelry than Shop LC. I think Shop LC is mainly trying to offer the lowest price. Having said that, I don't mean Shop LC jewelry is junk. I've bought a few very nice sterling gemstone pieces from them.

Evine used to be a mid to high end jewelry retailer, back before the recession when it was ShopNBC/ValueVision. For example, I remember the fabulous Michael Valetutti items in 14K and 18K. They still sell a few high end lines, such as EFFY, Sonia Bitton Galerie de Bijoux, and two lines of 24K gold. I would say Evine has better quality jewelry than JTV and Shop LC.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

I don't think it's fair to compare JTV  to Gem Shopping Network, because GSN sells (mostly) high end and estate jewelry. JTV has a few expensive high end items, if you pick through their website looking for 14K and 18K gemstone jewelry (their most expensive item is an African spessartite 18K necklace for $53,849.99, and they have a good selection of expensive tanzanite jewelry) but high end jewelry isn't their core business at this time. To hear the long term JTV hosts talk, it sounds like they used to sell a lot of high end stuff before the recession, but not any more. Shop LC, the few times I have watched it, has a mid to high end 14K gold pieces only once in a rare while.

JTV and Shop LC are both mass market retailers, compared to GSN which is marketing to a smaller, more affluent demographic. I think JTV is aiming for affordable price + quality, and in my opinion they have better quality jewelry than Shop LC. I think Shop LC is mainly trying to offer the lowest price. Having said that, I don't mean Shop LC jewelry is junk. I've bought a few very nice sterling gemstone pieces from them.

Evine used to be a mid to high end jewelry retailer, back before the recession when it was ShopNBC/ValueVision. For example, I remember the fabulous Michael Valetutti items in 14K and 18K. They still sell a few high end lines, such as EFFY, Sonia Bitton Galerie de Bijoux, and two lines of 24K gold. I would say Evine has better quality jewelry than JTV and Shop LC.

That's a great breakdown of those networks.  I am - well, I used to be - somewhat of a jewel-aholic, and I've bought way more than my share through the years, and most of it was from the old ValueVision, when their 14K prices were unbelievably low.  Ahh, the good old days.  They had some fabulous pieces and great vendors.  -  As to ShopLC, I have a few pieces (from back when they were Liquidation Channel) and I can't say I was impressed.  All the silver tarnished terribly and just doesn't hold up comparison-wise with the big beautiful Gems en Vogue pieces from Evine.   -   JTV used to have nicer pieces, and I've gotten some pretty things/good prices from days gone by, but 75% of the time when I flip that channel on now, they're selling CZ joolery set in silver. 

• Like 4

JTV reinvented itself after gold prices changed the nature of the mass market jewelry industry. When the major shopping channels chose to nearly abandon jewelry altogether, JTV became the silver and costume jewelry kings.  For those who weren't willing to give up jewelry shopping altogether when prices soared, JTV reacted swiftly and aggressively to capture that market.  I have to admire them for finding a niche where they could sell profitably and remain in business.  But yes, as a result, the high end items are now few and far between.  Their last nod to fine jewelry - their Color and Karat show - has mostly cheap gems set in gold, and the shows ate getting rarer and rarer.  On occasion you can still catch an opportunity buy (DOC item) that is a top quality piece sourced from a jewelry industry closeout, but those, too, are very rare these days.

So I would agree that you cannot compare today's JTV to Gem Shopping.  They are apples and oranges when it comes to their inventory.  GS sells unique  one-off house made items and one-of-a-kind estate pieces.  JTV sells mid to low--level jewelry that is mass produced by the hundreds or thousands.

LC  is all about making jewelry as cheaply as possible and buys/sells in large quantities.  In the gem markets, the major players swoop in and scoop up all the best quality gems, but that leaves many gemstones that are 2nd or 3rd tier quality.  Those are what LC buys, for the most part. Like JTV, they have chosen to pursue the low-level to mid-level jewelry buyers who can no longer afford gold but still want to buy something new. In their favor,LC has a much wider selection of stones than JTV offers.  JTV has narrowed their offerings to 5-6 gemstones and an assortment of lab created stones.

So while you can reasonably compare JTV and LC, GS is in another category altogether and currently sits alone as the top quality jewelry retailer on tv.

• Like 3

Besides Gem Shopping, which is a 24/7 enterprise, if you have enough cable/satellite or are willing to watch on the internet there are several other jewelry shows that buy time and broadcast one or more times a week for a few hours on the channels that are generally devoted to infomercials.  I know Verizon Fios has TVON 4 or 5 times a week (they do high-end stuff; they nearly went out of business last year but rearranged things and survived), the Gem Hunter Shopping Show 2 or 3 times a week (they do a lot of loose gemstones, and the main host occasionally talks about his times working for or providing gemstones to places like JTV and Gem Shopping), and Lux (Libby Floyd ended up here, but I think the jewelry is now only 1 time a week since they picked up that art guy who creeps me out a bit). 

Besides those, over the past decade or so I've seen at least 3 jewelry shopping shows pop up on Fios, last a few weeks or months, and then disappear. 

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Gbrentburns said:

Yes , but you must think ahead, and you are better off getting the higher quality item that you can make money on.

Never, ever assume that you're going to make money on jewelry, or coins, or art, or stamps, or anything deemed "collectible", especially if you are using those items as a long-term investment that you think you can use to fund your retirement.  I know that Beanie Babies are often thrown out as an example.  But gold prices could crash tomorrow.  Read stamp and coin collector forums and you'll see plenty of discussions about the subject.  Heck, watch the Antiques Roadshow shows that have the then-and-now valuations. 

Is it possible you can buy something on a shopping network, turn around, and sell it for more than you paid for it?  Of course.  Places like GSN and Gem Hunter talk all the time about how they have jewelers buying their products and pretty much every channel selling jewelry will tell you to go to a jeweler and you will be thrilled with the higher appraisal.  And I know places like JTV have a gold buying program if you want to get rid of jewelry you don't want anymore.  But to assume the value will always go up and beyond the level of inflation is asking for trouble.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 11

17 hours ago, Gbrentburns said:

Is it better to buy a $89 1CT Gem  Sterling Silver Ring with Gold plate valued at $109 from JTV or buy a 14KT Gold , 4 CT top of the line ring worth $20,000 retail for $595 from Gem Shopping Network?  I look at the  GSN  purchase as an investment that will go up in value and I look at the JTV cheaper purchase as a ring where value will go down, and I know I would be lucky to get half of what I spent on it.  Your thoughts?

Noticed you posted nearly the same thing on the QVC board without the question involved, but instead proclaiming that for $595 you can get a 1/2 carat yellow or orange diamond with diamond chips in support from GSN and it'll be worth 15-25 grand with the value going up.  While I'm not a fan of rings filled with diamond chips, I have a doggone good feeling that if Gem Shopping is selling something for $595 they're still making money on it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Noticed you posted nearly the same thing on the QVC board without the question involved, but instead proclaiming that for $595 you can get a 1/2 carat yellow or orange diamond with diamond chips in support from GSN and it'll be worth 15-25 grand with the value going up.  While I'm not a fan of rings filled with diamond chips, I have a doggone good feeling that if Gem Shopping is selling something for $595 they're still making money on it.

You're right, LUP. GSN isn't selling anything at a loss. Jewelry has such a huge markup (from every retailer) that they can offer what looks like a drastic price cut and still make a decent profit.

I think there are a few exceptions to the issue of jewelry lacking investment value. Some of the vintage estate items from top jewelers such as Cartier and Tiffany seem to have gone up in value.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

You're right, LUP. GSN isn't selling anything at a loss. Jewelry has such a huge markup (from every retailer) that they can offer what looks like a drastic price cut and still make a decent profit.

I think there are a few exceptions to the issue of jewelry lacking investment value. Some of the vintage estate items from top jewelers such as Cartier and Tiffany seem to have gone up in value.

Yeah, especially since GSN sells so many estate pieces.

I agree with you that if a piece has a famous company name behind it, there will be a greater value attached to it just because of the name.  Going back to Antiques Roadshow, you can see that with Tiffany pieces vs. the items that just look like them.  Same with if you can prove the item had a famous owner. 

• Like 4

On 3/17/2018 at 6:46 PM, Gbrentburns said:

Jewelry as an "investment" is a huge money loser, including diamonds. And don't pay any attention to what online sites claim is "appraised value". Do you REALLY think a site is going to sell a piece that has an actual cash on the counter value of 20,000 thousand bucks for $595??? If so, you're in a perfect position to be scammed by any BS'er who tells a good story. There's no "retail value" on jewelry, it's whatever a seller stamps on a price tag and about as real as unicorns.

There's a LOT more I could say on the subject, but for heaven's sake, if you want to actually INVEST, i.e. make a profit that you can actually put in your pocket, you're looking in the wrong place.

Gold-plated items have NO value. NONE. HALF of what you spent??? Sorry, not even close. Even if it's gold plate over sterling you'd be lucky to get 25 percent of the current SCRAP value of the silver. Sterling is only .925 percent pure silver and the costs of melting down and separating the silver from that other 10 percent of what at that stage are worthless contaminants have to be figured in. Maybe someone knowledgable about the current market can get closer, mine is just a guesstimate based on what I've actually RECEIVED when selling plated items to a legitimate family jeweler or jewelry buyer for cash. And that was at the height of the precious metals boom back around 2009. An $89 value (already a highly inflated number) ring, maybe 5 or 10 bucks at the most.

Just a few things to think about:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-13/how-to-buy-jewelry-an-expert-shares-what-you-are-doing-wrong

older but still valid

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

Edited by Hyacinth B
  • Like 10

Just to add - I've talked to jewelers on a salesperson-to-salesperson level, and store managers and owners have told me that the typical jewelry markup at the retail store level is about 6 HUNDRED percent. That's going back a few years but I doubt very much if they've trimmed their profit margins a whole lot since then, or that they were grossly exaggerating their markup. Again, that's retail. YMMV.

Edited by Hyacinth B · Reason: misspelling correction
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I actually think this whole thread was started by someone shilling for a certain network.  Just a theory.

Good. Then when these replies come up in a Google search, the searchers will have plenty of info about the BS the shopping networks throw out to separate gullible buyers from their money. I hope it costs them more than a few sales.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hyacinth B said:

Good. Then when these replies come up in a Google search, the searchers will have plenty of info about the BS the shopping networks throw out to separate gullible buyers from their money. I hope it costs them more than a few sales.

It's just a theory on my part.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I actually think this whole thread was started by someone shilling for a certain network.  Just a theory.

Yup, I had that thought, or perhaps someone who thinks that they're a smarter buyer than the average consumer and wanted to announce it here and over at the Q boards.  I know I took the bait because the "you can make a bunch of money!" claim irks me to no end.

• Like 7