Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Down Is Better

doLLish
  • Start Topic

Kidd is surprised to discover she is being transferred out of the firehouse; Severide and Casey are suspicious and investigate; Otis and Herrmann discuss taking over a rundown bar; Dawson's frustration with her father reaches a boiling point.

Edited by doLLish

Utterly predictable.

I do hope Otis finally gets a romantic interest with Mac's daughter. Bye Hope. Hope Severide thoroughly disinfects....things. I still like Kidd and Severide. The only thing worse than Dawson on my screen is Daddy Dawson. Please bleed out on the platform.

So a couple of tabletop-style grills go up and they don't just bring a couple of handcans and put 'em out? Not exactly super-combustible material there guys. Just charcoal. And if they're gas fed, duh, shut off the gas. Morons. At most, bring an inch-and-3/4 up the stick and go to town with it. Why risk all those customers maybe falling off the aerial when they're all safe on that balcony. Wait to put the fire out and down the stairs they go. They might even get to pay their tabs on the way down.

• Love 7

I want Hope to return for the finale and hold  everyone at 51 hostage at gun point. Would be interesting (but probably way too dark) if she killed or attempted to kill Sylvie too. Mistakenly or otherwise. Something about the way she stomped off felt like it wasn’t over.  I enjoyed her little arc. Much better than the usual “51 under fire” garbage we get every season.

Of courseeeee Gabby’s father is the victim! So now we can have a Gabby filled winter premiere! JOY! BLISS!!

I can finally see Stella and Severide being endgame.

6 episodes before the break? I feel cheated. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Utterly predictable.

I do hope Otis finally gets a romantic interest with Mac's daughter. Bye Hope. Hope Severide thoroughly disinfects....things. I still like Kidd and Severide. The only thing worse than Dawson on my screen is Daddy Dawson. Please bleed out on the platform.

So a couple of tabletop-style grills go up and they don't just bring a couple of handcans and put 'em out? Not exactly super-combustible material there guys. Just charcoal. And if they're gas fed, duh, shut off the gas. Morons. At most, bring an inch-and-3/4 up the stick and go to town with it. Why risk all those customers maybe falling off the aerial when they're all safe on that balcony. Wait to put the fire out and down the stairs they go. They might even get to pay their tabs on the way down.

The guy said it was a grease fire from the kitchen.  I think there was supposed to be more to it than we could see, plus he said they'd already evacuated the first floor.  

10 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

The guy said it was a grease fire from the kitchen.  I think there was supposed to be more to it than we could see, plus he said they'd already evacuated the first floor.  

I missed that part. Still, in a fairly high-end place like that they'd have chemical suppression, and firebreaks between the kitchen and the front of house, no? I was only half watching (and half asleep), but I though I saw one of those table-side brazier grills burning hot, and oddly enough, flames from a table with no visible source of combustion on it. Because flaming hot kitchen grease is going to spill on a table. More like the gallon of lighter fluid that was set off before they called 'action.'

37 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I missed that part. Still, in a fairly high-end place like that they'd have chemical suppression, and firebreaks between the kitchen and the front of house, no? I was only half watching (and half asleep), but I though I saw one of those table-side brazier grills burning hot, and oddly enough, flames from a table with no visible source of combustion on it. Because flaming hot kitchen grease is going to spill on a table. More like the gallon of lighter fluid that was set off before they called 'action.'

I didn't pay close enough attention either; I just remember someone telling Casey that as they pulled up.  Maybe the tables/furniture were made of wood?  I do remember thinking that Otis, or whoever it was, announced that the fire was out pretty fast.  My thought was that they'd have to continue to check for hotspots, but maybe that wasn't their job.

I forgot to add --  Does anyone really care about this cliffhanger?  I guess I was a little surprised to see that it was her dad (again, probably because I wasn't entirely paying attention) so that was a semi-decent twist, but otherwise I just don't care.  When the show comes back in January, I'm more interested to see the new bar and Severide/Stella, and have no interest in the actual "cliffhanger."  

Edited by FnkyChkn34
fix typo
  • Love 4

I did not care about the cliffhanger either. The only problem I have with it is that when the show returns we will be in for more Gabby angst whatever the outcome is. 

Though I do not care about Severide and Stella either. A lot of that is probably because I am indifferent to Stella. I do not dislike her, but I don't really like her either. I am just not that interested in her character. 

I was more interested in seeing where this Hope storyline leads. I do not think we have seen the last of her. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

So a couple of tabletop-style grills go up and they don't just bring a couple of handcans and put 'em out?

I had to stop for a moment and think about your post.  Then I remembered, oh, that's right, they actually had a fire call early in the episode.  The whole hour just basically slipped from my mind as soon as it was done.

Mac's daughter made the comment about "one bad loan and it was over".  Red flag, guys!  Can you say loan shark, hiding in the shadows? 

Look on the bright side of Daddy Gabby getting stabbed.  He will definitely be in intensive care if he survives, and maybe Gabby will have to take a season off to care for him.  Although I, for one, would be on Hope's side 110% if she had forged a transfer for Gabby.

• Love 5

I forgot to add --  Does anyone really care about this cliffhanger?

Not me, but unfortunately the show thinks we hang on all things Gabby thanks to the idiots on Twitter.

I wasn't able to really follow the thread on how Hope managed to forge someone's signature to transfer Stella out of the station. I mean, where would she have even gotten her hands on this form and how did a lowly clerical worker who's new to the job manage to pull off a stunt like that? It seems like way more eyeballs would have been on that kind of move, rather than it happening in a void just because some signed document winds up on someone's desk.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Not me, but unfortunately the show thinks we hang on all things Gabby thanks to the idiots on Twitter.

I wasn't able to really follow the thread on how Hope managed to forge someone's signature to transfer Stella out of the station. I mean, where would she have even gotten her hands on this form and how did a lowly clerical worker who's new to the job manage to pull off a stunt like that? It seems like way more eyeballs would have been on that kind of move, rather than it happening in a void just because some signed document winds up on someone's desk.

All of this.  And - why did Hope hate Stella in the first place?  Because Stella had half a brain and realized Hope was no good at the beginning?  Or because Stella is Severide's roommate?  The whole Hope story-line was a bit convoluted.  Not that I disliked it, per se, but that it didn't always make much sense.

• Love 3

Hope should have applied for the transfer online using Stella's credentials, or something like that. Hard to believe she knew what forms and how to do it. Plus how could that guy at HQ who thought he was getting a different woman been overridden by fake Mullen? Hope should return and sue and go craycray but Show likes to wrap up its storylines.

Was random frequently transferred pudgy firefighter supposed to be Stella’s replacement?

I can’t decide who I dislike more, Gabby or her father. Yet I adore brother/son Antonio. Now we have to see Gabby Daddy at Med, I guess. Maybe Gabby will have to donate a kidney and they can both die on the operating table. A girl can only dream.

But good thing Gabby wasn’t available to save the baby and Stella got the whole show almost! I was soooo afraid it was going to be her swansong and I will be pissed if Hope does her in after the fall hiatus. I say nay to her and Severide, though.

The chuckleheads (Otis, Cruz, and Herman) got a little time. Otis and Cruz need girlfriends asap—high hopes for Molly’s North girl!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

All of this.  And - why did Hope hate Stella in the first place?  Because Stella had half a brain and realized Hope was no good at the beginning?  Or because Stella is Severide's roommate?  The whole Hope story-line was a bit convoluted.  Not that I disliked it, per se, but that it didn't always make much sense.

The Hope story felt clumsy and blunt force from the beginning. It was totally predictable that the sociopath would do herself in eventually but one would expect the administrative system would be harder to crack and have more safeguards built in. And in turn Hope would have had to be smarter to find a way to pull off her manipulations. Forging Mullins' signature? How could she even get to that point so easily and if she did wouldn't she be bright enough to try and mimic his handwriting?

Is Stella going to hold a grudge against Sylvie now? I was hoping Boden was going to make some remark at the end about limitations on the freedom of friends and such who are not FD personnel to roam around the firehouse.

12 hours ago, doLLish said:

I want Hope to return for the finale and hold  everyone at 51 hostage at gun point. Would be interesting (but probably way too dark) if she killed or attempted to kill Sylvie too. Mistakenly or otherwise. Something about the way she stomped off felt like it wasn’t over.  I enjoyed her little arc. Much better than the usual “51 under fire” garbage we get every season.

They had much-loved character Doc do something similar in a meltdown during the Third Watch episode "No More, Forever."  THAT was super dark because it was a result of all his grief and guilt.  

I need to catch up on the episode on DVR (I don't mind reading spoilers).  I missed it the other night because....ASTROS!  

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

They had much-loved character Doc do something similar in a meltdown during the Third Watch episode "No More, Forever."  THAT was super dark because it was a result of all his grief and guilt.  

I need to catch up on the episode on DVR (I don't mind reading spoilers).  I missed it the other night because....ASTROS!  

I just looked up the show Third Watch, it looks good! I'm gonna see if I can find it to stream lol

• Love 2

Glad Hope is gone but how she did the transfer thing doesn't really make sense but glad that Casey sucked it up and spoke to Mullins. The grill that Hope got for the team, I hope that wasn't something she stole or that might come back to bite them. I don't know how transfers work but I would think Stella would have to okay it first. 

I liked what Sylvie started to say but I really hope Stella doesn't hold a grudge but it sure seemed like it. 

I do hope the bar they are opening with won't bite them in the ass either. I do wonder what the loan was but I think maybe Otis was a bit love stricken. 

I don't care for Dawson's dad but do hope he doesn't make it but I hate to see Dawson get so upset and annoying. 

I told Derek on twitter, such BS to have a fall finale already and not have a show until January. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, doLLish said:

I just looked up the show Third Watch, it looks good! I'm gonna see if I can find it to stream lol

Third Watch was far more interesting than Chicago Fire. Unfortunately only the first two seasons are available (streaming, dvd, or otherwise).

• Love 4
8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I didn't pay close enough attention either; I just remember someone telling Casey that as they pulled up.  Maybe the tables/furniture were made of wood?  I do remember thinking that Otis, or whoever it was, announced that the fire was out pretty fast.  My thought was that they'd have to continue to check for hotspots, but maybe that wasn't their job.

One engine and one truck, so yeah, Truck would be the one overhauling with Engine supplying the water. Dumb fire plot, but I did like Stella's save. No way they're bringing everybody down the stick in that situation.

Third Watch was one of my favourite shows.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, doLLish said:

Third Watch (1999 - 2005) was an excellent show. Michael Beach, Kim Raver, Eddie Cibrian, Amy Carlson. 

You have just given me an idea for my next summer binge-watch (132 episodes).

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I was more interested in seeing where this Hope storyline leads. I do not think we have seen the last of her. 

Mac and his daughter meet her accidentally, tell her that they have a bar and need a new bartender, 'cause they're reopening soon under new management.  Surprise!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Was random frequently transferred pudgy firefighter supposed to be Stella’s replacement?

Yes because as we have seen before just about any fire fighter not from 51 is either incompetent or corrupt.

I don't really care about Gaby's dad, the big cliffhanger for me is whether they will actually follow through and give Otis a storyline where he isn't comic relief.

• Love 3

Gabby's father doesn't carry enough juice for me to wait with bated breath to know if he survives the second half of the season. I'm sure Gabby will kiss the wound, heal him, and he'll be strong enough to request loans from strangers later that evening.

Should Stella hold a grudge against Sylvie? Her apology was sincere and she didn't know Hope had applied for the job. The animosity should be aimed at the Boden and Connie.

When Casey and Herrmann brought up Stella's name to the lady, she had a pause and curious look. What was that about?

I can see Hope appearing on other Chicago shows passing bad checks, shoplifting oranges or faking medical issues. 

Otis. The writers are playing you again. Resist!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3

Why was Stella sleeping on the couch?  I thought they were room mates?  Doesn't she have a bedroom?

Am I the only person who dislikes Stella?  I'd actually rather have Hope.  Sorry.

Are remote controls called flickers in Chicago or was that just a weird thing?  Where I am, if you can't be bothered to say two words between sips of beer it's clicker.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Should Stella hold a grudge against Sylvie? Her apology was sincere and she didn't know Hope had applied for the job. The animosity should be aimed at the Boden and Connie.

I don't think she should hold a grudge against anyone other than Hope. No one else made Hope do those things--Stella should blame the person who actually did the bad things, not the people around that person.

• Love 5

Oh, another brunette lady.  Just what this show needs.

Don't give a shit about the father.  No one has given a shit about the father.  This show is going to shit because of the father.

And why couldn't the fat guy stick around?  He was cute and balanced out a show filled with unrealistic pretty pretties.

• Love 4
On 11/3/2017 at 2:27 PM, watcher1006 said:

The Hope story felt clumsy and blunt force from the beginning. It was totally predictable that the sociopath would do herself in eventually but one would expect the administrative system would be harder to crack and have more safeguards built in. And in turn Hope would have had to be smarter to find a way to pull off her manipulations. Forging Mullins' signature? How could she even get to that point so easily and if she did wouldn't she be bright enough to try and mimic his handwriting?

I have a more basic question because I don't understand what Hope was trying to accomplish. There was no longer any reason for her to try to get rid of Stella because thanks to the paycheck debacle, Stella was firmly in, "I was wrong, you're not as bad as I thought you were" territory. Hope had no reason to try to mess with her further. It seems like she was basically stirring up stuff just because. Even sociopaths have some clear benefit to themselves when they manipulate people.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Xantar said:

I have a more basic question because I don't understand what Hope was trying to accomplish. There was no longer any reason for her to try to get rid of Stella because thanks to the paycheck debacle, Stella was firmly in, "I was wrong, you're not as bad as I thought you were" territory. Hope had no reason to try to mess with her further. It seems like she was basically stirring up stuff just because. Even sociopaths have some clear benefit to themselves when they manipulate people.

I was thinking that maybe she was trying to hook up with Severide and didn't like the idea that Stella was in the way. 

She did hit on Severide and he turned her down even though in the previous episode, she didn't want anything to do with him and just wanted to not be in a relationship. 

• Love 3

That was a cliffhanger?!  I don't care if Gabby Daddy dies.  It's a double edged sword though...if he dies, then yay, he's gone forever! But then the show will have to revolve even more around Gabby and her grief, etc.  On the other hand, if Gabby Daddy lives, then UGH, we still have to deal with him and his stupid drama!

Who is going to work at Molly's North?  Otis's new crush and her dad?  Or are the rest of the crew at 51 going to buy into it? Hermann, Gabby, Otis and Stella can work at the original and Cruz, Silvie and Mouch can work at the North location.

Glad that the Hope storyline is done.  I kinda want her to come back all crazy "Single White Female", but then again, too much time has been wasted on her.  The whole Stella transfer was just ridiculous.  Supposedly, the job was posted, Stella didn't apply for it, but got it anyway because Hope forged a signature?  1. I would think she would have to be at least interviewed for the job since it's a PR/office thing, not same job she's been doing for years.  2. I would have thought Boden would have gotten an email/phone call regarding her transfer before Stella was notified.  3. Hope didn't even try with the guy's signature.  You would think she would have spent an extra 5 minutes practicing signing his name.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Glad that the Hope storyline is done.  I kinda want her to come back all crazy "Single White Female", but then again, too much time has been wasted on her.  The whole Stella transfer was just ridiculous.  Supposedly, the job was posted, Stella didn't apply for it, but got it anyway because Hope forged a signature?  1. I would think she would have to be at least interviewed for the job since it's a PR/office thing, not same job she's been doing for years.  2. I would have thought Boden would have gotten an email/phone call regarding her transfer before Stella was notified.  3. Hope didn't even try with the guy's signature.  You would think she would have spent an extra 5 minutes practicing signing his name.

It really made no sense. Was it a job that was posted or just something people get assigned to, because your right for that big a change they would probably want someone who actually wanted the job.. And did Hope just luck out that the head of public relations was an asshole who thought women were interchangeable? Because if he wanted someone specific her whole plan falls apart. 

On 11/3/2017 at 5:06 PM, Waterston Fan said:

Glad Hope is gone but how she did the transfer thing doesn't really make sense but glad that Casey sucked it up and spoke to Mullins. The grill that Hope got for the team, I hope that wasn't something she stole or that might come back to bite them. I don't know how transfers work but I would think Stella would have to okay it first. 

I liked what Sylvie started to say but I really hope Stella doesn't hold a grudge but it sure seemed like it. 

I do hope the bar they are opening with won't bite them in the ass either. I do wonder what the loan was but I think maybe Otis was a bit love stricken. 

I don't care for Dawson's dad but do hope he doesn't make it but I hate to see Dawson get so upset and annoying. 

I told Derek on twitter, such BS to have a fall finale already and not have a show until January. 

Chicago Fire had its fall finale already cause of Thursday night Football. It's NBC's half of the season

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Hope. You can bet "she'll be back"

Oh, I don't know. They tend to drop stories or wrap them up at breakneck speed on this show. I've always said it's like there are two sets of writers. One set writes all the action and rescue scenes and the other, inferior set writes all the interpersonal stories, which suck. It's almost like the show just exists to portray exciting fire fighter action scenes and the rest is considered filler that isn't given much thought.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Let me say, that's a bunch of BS. If this show was on Tuesday instead of Thursday night... ugh.. 

I really do not understand the point of the change. Chicago Fire leading off the week on Tuesday, with PD (which fits perfectly with SVU) on Wednesday and Med on Thursday made so much sense. Fire fit perfectly with This Is Us. Starting off with PD is just weird and feels completely disjointed, especially when it comes to any type of crossover.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, doLLish said:

I really do not understand the point of the change. Chicago Fire leading off the week on Tuesday, with PD (which fits perfectly with SVU) on Wednesday and Med on Thursday made so much sense. Fire fit perfectly with This Is Us. Starting off with PD is just weird and feels completely disjointed, especially when it comes to any type of crossover.

They've said they have no plans for a crossover this season. 

12 minutes ago, Guildford said:

DIdn't they announce that PD's 100th is a crossover with Fire? Yay....so looking forward to that.

I didn't hear that.  I read a bit ago that Derek Haas said they had no plans for one. Maybe that's something new. 

50 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I'm done with this show, which I should have done years ago.  It is too ridiculous to even "hate watch" anymore.  Bye pretty Severide.  I'll find other eye candy somewhere.

I found new eye candy on The Last Ship, but be warned - the show is just as ridiculous.  Good first and second seasons, but third and especially the fourth went downhill quick.  There will be a fifth and final season next year.

Some new shows look good for eye candy, like maybe SWAT?

I need to stop trying to watch this on planes......the Gabby drama makes me want to hit the emergency exit mid flight. 

I got to say this season has been underwhelming...they overhype stories, the premiere is prime example , Mr Sprinkles and now this? Blah...so disappointing. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Guildford said:

I need to stop trying to watch this on planes......the Gabby drama makes me want to hit the emergency exit mid flight. 

I got to say this season has been underwhelming...they overhype stories, the premiere is prime example , Mr Sprinkles and now this? Blah...so disappointing. 

I admit, I didn't and still don't get the Mr. Sprinkles part. I thought it was going to be some character with his name and not some rat or mouse or guinea pig. 

29 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

I admit, I didn't and still don't get the Mr. Sprinkles part. I thought it was going to be some character with his name and not some rat or mouse or guinea pig. 

Me either.  Is this thing going to show up again at some point?  Like it's been hiding in the basement for a month?

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:43 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Me either.  Is this thing going to show up again at some point?  Like it's been hiding in the basement for a month?

They're going  to find Mr Sprinkles' poor charre body at a fire scene and give him a full Chicago Fire burial.