Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Shop HQ: Evine No More; Shop HQ Again

2 hours ago, Jewelry Hoarder said:

"I wanna sit next to Itor! Oh you're so strong (drool)."

Barf. It's like Harvey Weinstein got a sex change.

Yup!  Just as bad. 

• Like 1

Looking at the program guide for part of the 2nd week of March I'm starting to think that this "fixed" program schedule simply means that while they are locking in some programming, particularly in the mornings, they will no longer be changing the schedule on the fly and they will stick with what was originally planned, even if they could potentially bring in more revenue showing something else that sells better.

Edited by letusprocrastinate

On 2/26/2020 at 5:15 PM, Thumper said:

Yup!  Just as bad. 

Anyone notice how Daniel Greene always wants to barge in on the models  just so he can get a screen shot of the watch on his wrist. Dude,  let the models do their job and you do the hosting.  The cameraman can get the same screen shot of the watch on your wrist while you're at the desk with Ryan or Justin. 

• Like 1

Ah, ShopHQ.

All of your crew members are in jackets and hoodies, and your vendor (Samuel B) is wearing a jacket, but your host is wearing a sleeveless dress when it's obvious she's cold.  She's shivering live on air.

Gotta have to have to show the skin, after all.  Top priority at ShopHQ these days.

• Like 4

Looks like Libby Floyd is no longer a host.  She was a part-timer as it was, and they've just increased the host total to 15 with the addition of two new female hosts along with the VP of on-air sales taking some hosting duties.  Somehow I have a feeling he's learning that it's a lot harder to sell stuff live on television than it appears, especially at ShopHQ with its lower viewership.

• Like 1

Even though their photos are still up on the hosts part of the website, it looks like one host has definitely left and another likely has.

Todd Newton's ShopHQ Facebook page is still up and running but a March 3 post tells people to head to a different Facebook page to keep up with him.  Hey, he got to go on the cruise before he left so I guess that's a positive.

I also have a feeling Skip Connelly has quietly gone goodbye too.  Nothing on the schedule for him and he hasn't updated his ShopHQ Facebook page for nearly a month.  Unfortunately, if that's the case the writing was on the wall for him and I think he knew it.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Looks like Todd Newton is gone; he got to go on the cruise, though.  His ShopHQ Facebook page is still up and running but a March 3 post tells people to go to a different Facebook page to keep up with him.

I also have a feeling Skip Connelly has quietly gone goodbye too.  Unfortunately, if that's the case the writing was on the wall for him.

I like Skip. If he's gone than this channel will be a no viewing for me. Skip was the best of them. Even dealing with Paula!

• Like 2

I saw a new, young, female host last night kicking off their top value (or whatever it’s called there).

35 minutes ago, rcc said:

I like Skip. If he's gone than this channel will be a no viewing for me. Skip was the best of them. Even dealing with Paula!

He was really good with Paula, especially when it was just him, her, and the assistant who actually did most of the work.  He could rein her in a bit.  Now it seems that if Paula is there, at least one of the sons is there too.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I saw a new, young, female host last night kicking off their top value (or whatever it’s called there).

Yes, they have two new female hosts and someone who is currently just doing the sidekick/social media thing on certain shows.

• Like 3

Skip Connelly is officially gone from the host page as is Marissa Morgan but Todd Newton is still there even though it looks like he's gone too.  There are now 11 hosts left.  Seems as though they're cleaning house and wouldn't be surprised to see that they'll be shutting down operations very soon.

Edited by dbklmt · Reason: Changed to correct Marissa's last name to the correct one. Thanks letusprocrastinate!
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, dbklmt said:

Skip Connelly is officially gone from the host page as is Marissa Fields but Todd Newton is still there even though it looks like he's gone too.  There are now 11 hosts left.  Seems as though they're cleaning house and wouldn't be surprised to see that they'll be shutting down operations very soon.

Marissa Morgan's last show was February 18; didn't realize until you posted that she was gone from the hosts' page.  Makes me wonder if her photo and Skip's were kept up way past their last shows while they used up accrued leave/vacation (just speculating).

They have the two newbie hosts who haven't made their way to the host page but losing Skip and Marissa and tossing in someone from corporate for a few hours a week on-air to take up some of the slack I'm sure is more than paying the newbies' salaries.

A number of the hosts they have left are certainly working all-over-the-place hours.

They haven't released their 4th quarter and year-end results yet; they must be awful.

• Like 2

Who was the new male host working with Justin last night? Is he taking over Skip's job? Is ShopHQ bringing over some of the Bulldog Network hosts?

1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Who was the new male host working with Justin last night? Is he taking over Skip's job? Is ShopHQ bringing over some of the Bulldog Network hosts?

Can you specify an exact date and time when you refer to "last night"?

Edit:  If he's on air right now at 8 eastern Tuesday (dark hair, glasses, named Ryan, standing next to Justin) he and Justin were described as "Invicta experts".  Seems to be doing the social media side of things.  Sorry, I have no idea if he spends any time over at Bulldog.

Why they need 4 people (2 hosts, 2 OAPs) to host a 2-hour Invicta show, I have no idea.

It was the Invicta show (11pm -12 am CST) last night ,while flipping channels, I caught about the last 3 minutes. The co host looking to be about a mid 50 something white guy with grey hair. I had never seen him before.

5 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

It was the Invicta show (11pm -12 am CST) last night ,while flipping channels, I caught about the last 3 minutes. The co host looking to be about a mid 50 something white guy with grey hair. I had never seen him before.

I had a feeling you were referring to Blair Christie, but I just wanted to get the time so I could make sure.

He is the VP of On-Air Sales at ShopHQ and has been for 10 years.  He previously worked at Q and in consulting gigs for places like JTV.  He has 30 or so years in the TV shopping business.  Part of his job at ShopHQ is to hire and train hosts. 

He's been doing some ShopHQ hosting for the past 6 weeks or so now, usually kitchen and home goods shows on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.  Doesn't do Bulldog shows.

To me, they knew that with the then-impending and now-loss of Skip (and Marissa too) they were going to have a host shortage.  He already works there and he's supposed to know how to do this stuff, so hey, be a good boss, take one for the team and put in 5-10 hours a week on air!  Although I have a feeling he's learning it's harder than it looks when you're the host and actually trying to move product. 

But yes, he is mainly focusing on stuff Skip often did.

• Like 1

That must be him, I rarely ever watch the cooking shows or home goods, explains why I never saw him. Skip was decent for the Invicta shows, saw him do many__ of them over the years.  Skip also did the coin shows(Coin Shoppe)  , not sure who will co host those now. Skip also did tons of Waterford shows with the Daddy Warbucks guy. I remember him way___ back doing ValueVision shows, maybe even CVN shows??? Plus time at JTV? I do__ wish him well, he's one of the very best presenters, maybe ShopHQ just wanted newer,younger hosts.

• Like 1

They changed their Our Hosts page today to add the 3 new hosts, Blair Christie, Jen Vick and Amy Hirsh with Todd Newton still there but to check back later for scheduled shows which means adios.  Blair Christie who is the Assistant VP for On-Air Sales should be more worried about the quarterly earnings report coming soon and will be BaaDWon't be long before ShopHQ will be just like Evine--No More.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So is Skip definitely gone ? Will be interesting to see  who the cohost is and how bad they'll screw things up on Monday's midnight Coin Shoppe shows .

10 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

So is Skip definitely gone ? Will be interesting to see  who the cohost is and how bad they'll screw things up on Monday's midnight Coin Shoppe shows .

Yes, he's gone.  Just quietly disappeared. 

Kathy Norton is scheduled to do the coin show this upcoming Monday.

• Useful 1

I hope Skip goes over to HSN. Or QVC. He is a good salesman.

• Like 2

Screw QVC , a company that thinks SK is an asset to their  viewing customers have got a screw loose.  Maybe the QVC's in other countries are floating the US QVC, I quit buying anything from that channel  years___ ago.  I could see Skip possibly making the move to Austin to work for ShopLC. Say what you want, but that channel's hosts average decades_____ more experience than most of any of the top 3 shopping channels. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I could see Skip possibly making the move to Austin to work for ShopLC. Say what you want, but that channel's hosts average decades_____ more experience than most of any of the top 3 shopping channels. 

As long as his ex-wife Karen doesn't mind.  Although I get the sense she probably wouldn't. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:34 AM, letusprocrastinate said:

Yes, he's gone.  Just quietly disappeared. 

Kathy Norton is scheduled to do the coin show this upcoming Monday.

Kathy Norton wasn't on, instead, there was a green ,new ShopHQ presenter co host. Asked way__ too many questions like the idiot blonde on HSN's coin shows with Mike. 

• Like 1

I watch the 2 main shopping networks that are on tv. One of them is NOT SHOP HQ. Yes every once in a while I turn it there to see what is going on with them. They could get all NEW HOSTS & IT WOULD NOT HELP THEM. The only thing I have ever bought from there was a few womens tops. There clothing is garbage. Washed a few times & it fell apart. 90% polyester , always saying it feels cool to the touch, it feels like wearing a plastic bag , is what it feels like.I do not know if any of their clothing has any cotton in it .If you have seen one hour of a 3 or 4 hour clothing show you have seen it all , it is the same items over & over again. When a item comes on the host will say we are dipping down to under 100, it is a new item & your already pulling that trick to try & get you to order it that it is going fast, when you go online later & look at the item they still have it.  The Kate & Mallory   blonde woman drives me crazy the way she talks, PLEASE someone give her SPEACH LESSONS. The whole network needs help, changing the name did not work. Looked on there tonight they were selling those yellow tinted driving glasses that were sold on infa merricals 30 yrs. ago. Come on get with the program. Bring in some DECENT NAME BRAND clothing & shoes. Petite womens clothing, & wide width shoes. They do not cater to anyone that needs shorter lenghts or a wide fit shoe. How BACKWARDS CAN YOU BE????? OH DO NOT FORGET """ THE WAY YOU ORDER IS 123-456""" WHY DO THEY SAY THAT???  Te way you order is you pick up your phone or go online & give the item number, BUT THE HOST ALWAYS SAYS HOW YOU ORDER IS &  then they give the item number. That is not how you order, stop being stupid!!!!!  Lets act like it is 2020!!!!!!!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Caribbean Girl 54 said:

I watch the 2 main shopping networks that are on tv. One of them is NOT SHOP HQ. Yes every once in a while I turn it there to see what is going on with them. They could get all NEW HOSTS & IT WOULD NOT HELP THEM. The only thing I have ever bought from there was a few womens tops. There clothing is garbage. Washed a few times & it fell apart. 90% polyester , always saying it feels cool to the touch, it feels like wearing a plastic bag , is what it feels like.I do not know if any of their clothing has any cotton in it .If you have seen one hour of a 3 or 4 hour clothing show you have seen it all , it is the same items over & over again. When a item comes on the host will say we are dipping down to under 100, it is a new item & your already pulling that trick to try & get you to order it that it is going fast, when you go online later & look at the item they still have it.  The Kate & Mallory   blonde woman drives me crazy the way she talks, PLEASE someone give her SPEACH LESSONS. The whole network needs help, changing the name did not work. Looked on there tonight they were selling those yellow tinted driving glasses that were sold on infa merricals 30 yrs. ago. Come on get with the program. Bring in some DECENT NAME BRAND clothing & shoes. Petite womens clothing, & wide width shoes. They do not cater to anyone that needs shorter lenghts or a wide fit shoe. How BACKWARDS CAN YOU BE????? OH DO NOT FORGET """ THE WAY YOU ORDER IS 123-456""" WHY DO THEY SAY THAT???  Te way you order is you pick up your phone or go online & give the item number, BUT THE HOST ALWAYS SAYS HOW YOU ORDER IS &  then they give the item number. That is not how you order, stop being stupid!!!!!  Lets act like it is 2020!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Hi, @Caribbean Girl 54!  Nice to have you here!

You make some really good points, especially with the clothing repetitiveness, lack of petites, and if they're selling it that cheap it's likely crap.  Not only that, like Q clothing their stuff often looks the same regardless of the "brand" name that's on it. 

Beginning about 2 years ago they did start bringing in new designers, particularly established ones from Canada, who were selling clothes and shoes at higher price points, sometimes much higher.  I think a big reason there was a Canadian influx was because they had hired the former head of The Shopping Channel in Canada to run things.  She didn't last long, and from what I can see they've been phasing out some of those designers.

One other thing they do with regards to numbers sold is sometimes they'll put up "Items Sold this Show" and other times put up "Items Sold", which means the total number of that particular product they've sold, ever.  The latter happens quite a bit when Paula Deen has an air fryer on.  But in both cases it means you can see how much less product they sell, especially in relation to Q.  As an example, when Mike Lindell made his debut on ShopHQ last Memorial Day weekend with MyPillow, they sold around 4000 sets of their Today's Top Deal pillows (8000 pillows total).  If Q had had that as a TSV, that number would have been at least triple as a low estimate.

• Like 2

ShopHQ appears to be slowly but surely increasing its hours that are reruns, particularly when it comes to when the overnight block starts.

In addition, it looks like they are adding even more time devoted to Invicta, including in the middle of the day.

• Sad 1

Speaking of the Invicta shows, can they please get rid of that idiot woman named Jess who keeps blabbing on and on ,please ,let the expert host sell the product. And what's up with hosts starting to wear glasses??? I've noticed many other shopping channel hosts doing this. Is that suppose to make the host look more intelligent,lol???? 

• Laugh 1

In this week's program guide rerun programming will start at midnight eastern, and depending on the day will continue until either 8 or 9 a.m.  So just from overnights alone at least 1/3 of their programming will be repeats and that doesn't include the repeats they show during the day, particularly of beauty shows.

• Useful 1

I really liked Jess Manuel when she was the “fashion expert.”  Since she’s become a host, she seems to have become so much more fast-talking and sell sell sell.  Happens to most of them, I guess. 😩

• Like 1

I can't stand all of the loud,squeling,fast talking,over the top sales spiel these idiots spew out, flipping the channel.  Got so sick and tired of what's her face Waggoner blabbing along and acting like a dipshit,I quit watching Evine for awhile. Finally they fired her ass. 

• Like 1

ShopHQ sent me a snail mail letter inviting me to apply for their credit card. It's issued by Synchrony Bank (no thanks) and has a 28.4% interest rate. (double no thanks).

So, the economy is in a trainwreck, but they want people to sign up for their high interest credit card. Good luck with that.

• Like 3

Laura Duffek has been let go. 

As well, starting in a few days the overnight block of reruns will be from midnight-9 a.m. eastern every day.

4th quarter 2019 and full year results will be released on April 1, which happens to be both April Fools Day and the first day of the 2nd quarter of 2020.

• Like 1

Don't know Laura?  Was she a host or an OAP for a brand?

9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Don't know Laura?  Was she a host or an OAP for a brand?

Used to be an OAP who because a host.  Hosted The Sizzle briefly last year, and mainly did home goods shows.

She was on the larger side.

• Like 1

Oh, okay — I know who you are talking about.  Didn’t know her name.  Very knowledgeable about bedding and has a great TV/radio voice.

I'm sad to hear they let Laura go, she was one of they most knowledgeable , decent respectful hosts they had. She used to sell the linens and stained glass fixtures, always nice and kind, people liked her. She even filled in on some of the Invicta shows and was knowledgeable on the watches. ShopHQ probably wanted someone younger like all of the other shopping channels. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I watched the Paula Deen show from her home last week it was pretty good.But that new host Blair Christie is about as exciting as a wet blanket. How many times a week can they sell face gunk, watches,Waterford crystal, & lets not forget thin  micro fiber sheets that make you sweat. They need more products, & now what they are selling has doubled in price, their clothing is crap, falls apart when you wash it, & I am VERY careful with my laundry. They just need to end it, I do not think there is no future for Shop HQ.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Laura Duffek has been let go. 

Laura was one of the best.

I used to enjoy watching Charla Rines...genuinely quirky/edgy 

image.png.57f51cedc84bf4578bbb58c3098157f0.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I'm sad to hear they let Laura go, she was one of they most knowledgeable , decent respectful hosts they had. She used to sell the linens and stained glass fixtures, always nice and kind, people liked her. She even filled in on some of the Invicta shows and was knowledgeable on the watches. ShopHQ probably wanted someone younger like all of the other shopping channels. 

As well, they're cutting back on the product categories that she was primarily selling, particularly home goods/housewares.  Same categories Skip used to mainly sell.  Looks like they're consolidating among jewelry, watches, beauty, and fashion, with a bit of kitchen/housewares thrown in.

• Useful 2

5 hours ago, Caribbean Girl 54 said:

I watched the Paula Deen show from her home last week it was pretty good.But that new host Blair Christie is about as exciting as a wet blanket. How many times a week can they sell face gunk, watches,Waterford crystal, & lets not forget thin  micro fiber sheets that make you sweat. They need more products, & now what they are selling has doubled in price, their clothing is crap, falls apart when you wash it, & I am VERY careful with my laundry. They just need to end it, I do not think there is no future for Shop HQ.

Blair has been hosting for about 2 months now.  Ironically, at his management job at ShopHQ and at previous jobs he's had, he's responsible for the hiring and training of new hosts.

For the first couple weeks he was enthusiastic (not Jane Treacy-level enthusiastic, but it was there), but that disappeared.  I think it may be a combination of three things.  First, his normal personality may trend to the more serious.  Second, discovering how hard the hosting job is on a channel like ShopHQ where as a rule they do less volume.  Third, being on the upper management side he has to know what the sales figures and $$ situation are really like, including what the 4th quarter and 2019 results are (very likely bad).  He started his hosting gig right around the time the COVID-19 issue was ramping up so he also knows how much it is making their financials worse.  Kinda puts a damper on the enthusiasm.

I agree with you that ShopHQ's future is looking bleak.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, artisto said:

Laura was one of the best.

I used to enjoy watching Charla Rines...genuinely quirky/edgy 

image.png.57f51cedc84bf4578bbb58c3098157f0.png

I remember Charla. I enjoyed watching her too.

• Like 2

I noticed the Coin Shoppe shows that were suppose to be on this morning from midnight to 2 am cst were replaced with the Bose sound show they've played a hundred times before. Then I think they played an hour of the MacKenzie crap . 

The 4th quarter and 2019 earnings results announcement has been postponed until the 15th.  Because of COVID-19.

Convenient excuse for delaying horrible news.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

I've noticed their schedule is starting to go off the rails, especially during overnight hours. not sure how long they can keep doing the Invicta shows,  with so many out of work, buying a watch may be the last thing they need to spend money on. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I've noticed their schedule is starting to go off the rails, especially during overnight hours. not sure how long they can keep doing the Invicta shows,  with so many out of work, buying a watch may be the last thing they need to spend money on. 

There were too many Invicta shows even before all of this started.

But what seemed to be a good idea earlier this year, no programming on the fly and keeping to a fixed schedule, suddenly doesn't look like a good idea now.

One other thing they have started doing in the past few days is adding host names to most or all of their lineup in the program guide.  Used to be that reruns didn't have host names attached to them, so it was easy to see how much of their programming consisted of repeats.