Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Shop HQ: Evine No More; Shop HQ Again

It's a family gathering day for me and my hubby. I turned on Evine earlier while doing bbq food prep.  Skeevy huckster Mike Lindel doing his "my pillow" stink shtick. My hubby had caught Mike saying his "I used to be a crackhead" phrase too.  My hubby made a comment of the various sized pieces of memory foam (in the product demo) resembling pieces of crack. Our visiting family members loved my hub's snarkisim.  Oddly the (current) my pillow show on Evine has become a comedy show in my house at the moment. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

7 hours ago, ImaTart said:

SMH .... the ugly moose is still for sale at Evine.  I did a comment about this eyesore during the 2018 holiday season.  I'm surprised the price isn't reduced ... by 90%.  🙄 eyeroll. 

I remember when you posted  this back then, agree with.

• Like 3

That moose reminds me of Marsha the Moose from Big Brother Canada.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

2 hours ago, hummingbird said:

My pillow has sold thru on QVC and HSN so Evine ?

can't you buy that in BBB with a coupon,  is anyone left to sell to 

There's a My Pillow TSV scheduled for Q on June 6.  Yes, this fact confuses me a bit.

At the end of the last presentation (6 p.m. eastern) yesterday they had sold just over 7000 pillows in total for the day, and they were selling them in sets of 2, so that works out to just over 3500 sets.  Granted it was a holiday Monday, but it's a new world for Lindell after being at Q, where 3500 sets of pillows could be sold in a half hour or even less.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hummingbird said:

My pillow has sold thru on QVC and HSN so Evine ?

can't you buy that in BBB with a coupon,  is anyone left to sell to 

He might just be touching all the bases.  

4 hours ago, Puddy said:

Mike Lindell and touching do not belong in the same sentence. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

6 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

CzKSB.gif

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

On 5/28/2019 at 1:17 PM, LeeDenny said:

Agreed.  He's never touching my base! Nor getting a micro second glance of it. 🤢  Even if he tried giving me a free cross & blue shirt.  🤮

Edited by ImaTart · Reason: Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

11 hours ago, Puddy said:

Touching?  He's stomping on the bases.

A chicken in every pot and a MyPillow on every bed.

(Original quote from Herbert Hoover's 1928 presidential campaign: [If Hoover wins, there will be ] "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage.")

• Like 3

Yay! The silly name "Evine" is about to become history!

http://tcbmag.com/news/articles/2019/may/evine-live-is-out-shophq-returns

"Evine Live is Out; ShopHQ Returns"

"Company also cuts $15 million in “overhead costs,” installs new CFO, and plans Spanish language shopping channel.

[excerpt] "The company is planning to drop the Evine name in the second quarter and replace with a brand that it previously used: ShopHQ. According to the company’s statement: 'ShopHQ is easier to recognize for existing television retailing customers.' The company summarized customer response to the Evine name: 'It was not positive.' ”

"Not positive," well, that's an understatement. The name didn't make any sense and nobody understood it. Many people thought they had renamed the channel after Kathy Levine.

The old/new name ShopHQ makes sense (shopping headquarters), however, it's too close to ShopLC, so there could be some confusion at first. But we can't have everything. I'm just glad it won't be called Evine much longer.

The rest of the article is about company financial performance (not good) and management news. Also they plan to start a Spanish language version of the channel, called LaVenta, in first quarter 2020, to be based in Miami with a Latin management team.

I know HSN had a Spanish language channel at one time, because they would bring bilingual hosts over to the main channel sometimes, and they'd mention the Spanish channel. Lesley Ann Machado was involved with it. (She's still an HSN host.) Don't know whether HSN still has one. Their first Spanish language channel ran from 1998 through 2002 on a Univision channel called Galavision. The second attempt was a new partnership with Univision, called Boutique Univision (a selection of products, not the entire HSN product line) , that started in 2013 and was supposed to run in beta form for three years. This project may not have lasted beyond 2015, because there is nothing current on Google about Boutique Univision.  I looked for information on Spanish language QVC and couldn't find anything more recent than a 1993 article saying QVC would be available in Mexico. So it looks like ShopHQ won't have any substantial competition for their new LaVenta channel. I think it has a good chance to be successful.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

I really liked the ShopHQ name and thought the decision to go from it to Evine was idiotic. 

• Like 11

Good decision to replace EVine!  Wonder how much all the rebranding, new graphics, etc has/will cost them?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

23 minutes ago, 7EasyPayments said:

And what is the origin of the name 'Evine'?

Anyone know? TIA

Just guessing -- Evine is a Nordic female name, and the channel is headquartered in Minnesota where there is a large Nordic-descended population. Name origin:

http://www.name-doctor.com/name-evine-meaning-of-evine-21638.html

"This name derives from the Proto-Norse name “*Auja-winduR”, composed of two elements: “*awiō” (island, meadow, floodplain, water, stream, river) plus “-winduR” (winner). The modern meaning is “happy warrior, luck / fortune winner”. Eivind name-day is celebrated on August 26 in Norway, as well as Øyvind. The variant Eivindur and Oyvindur has the name-day the same day in the Faroe Islands, but Ejvind and Øjvind in Finland fall on July 3."

Related names: https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-evine-1240945.htm  Evan, Evana, Evyn, Evanna, Evianna, Eviana, Evynn, Evany, Evin, Evania, Eavan, Evonne

Obviously the name Evine in terms of  "luck / fortune winner" didn't work out for the channel!

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

If they're making a name change in the 2nd quarter it'll be happening soon, since the 2nd quarter ends at the end of June.

Evine has a second channel?  I didn't know that.

I've mentioned this before, but Evine's stock will be delisted in mid-July if it doesn't get above a dollar per share.  Right now it's sitting around 45 cents, so I'd say the odds are good that it's bye-bye NASDAQ.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Yeah, what made the name even more confusing is that Kathy Levine was brought in to announce the launch of the new name.  Many assumed it was a play on her last name.

And wasn't their launch name "Evine Live"?  Meaning they would be live for 24 hours?  Well, that didn't seem to last very long -- they have been in "Encore (taped) Presentations" from 2AM until 8AM EDT most days.

New name is a good start.  I just hope they right the ship in other areas before it's too late.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

"Evine Live is Out; ShopHQ Returns"

Back to the future.

images.jpg.a824790a88a2270fe041e301993ebc05.jpg

• Like 4
  • Laugh 4

@Coffeecup, Thanks so much for the news about Evine - and I also agree changing the name back to ShopHQ makes so much sense.

Wouldn't you know that Optimum (my TV provider in Westchester County, NY) recently announced that Evine will be moving to another channel.  Perhaps this might happen when the name changes to ShopHQ.  We shall see...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, artisto said:

Back to the future.

Is that your doggie?

• Like 2

Fashion Expert Becky taking one for the team tonight, wearing a patterned baggy crop pant with loose kimono(maybe?) top in same pattern.  Also clunky black slab sandals.    I think she is a medium, but sometimes they dress her in a way that makes her look larger.

• Like 4

Something I didn't notice before, but Evine's first-quarter performance in comparison to last year was down 16%.  Yowza.  No wonder the unemployment/cost-cutting ax was brought out.

Oh, they are also kissing the TTV (Today's Top Value) goodbye, and hyping 6 valuepays on most merchandise.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 5

One of the best professionals on any of the channels IMO is Evine OAP Becky Wright. She's been on air off and on for almost 24 hours with this fashion day and now I'm watching her have to deal with host Melissa Miner who is acting very Shawn-like - all over the place, making the presentation all about her, yikes. 

• Like 2

I don't see a problem with Evine dropping the TSV. They had started doing what QVC does anyway, having multiple TSVs, so it didn't seem so special any more.

JTV dropped their TSV a long time ago, and it didn't hurt them, as far as I know.  They called it the Brilliant Find, probably because the other channels had already taken all the good names.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, seasons said:

One of the best professionals on any of the channels IMO is Evine OAP Becky Wright. She's been on air off and on for almost 24 hours with this fashion day and now I'm watching her have to deal with host Melissa Miner who is acting very Shawn-like - all over the place, making the presentation all about her, yikes. 

That is Melissa.  Always has been.  Watch her with Jorge from Waterford.  How that man tolerates her is beyond me.  He is a saint.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Interesting news about Evine going back to the shop HQ name.  Like everyone else, I always thought Evine was an odd name for a shopping channel.  The whole Evine live remake was a flop.  The Scotto's were supposed to be there with Italian food and cooking items, saw them there maybe 2 or 3 times and then never again.  Adina from David's was launching Divine Treats, even left her job at David's cookies and that flopped.  24 hour live presentations never worked out.  I also thought Kathy Levine was going to be there and on air.  I never saw her or heard her mentioned.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Interesting news about Evine going back to the shop HQ name.  Like everyone else, I always thought Evine was an odd name for a shopping channel.  The whole Evine live remake was a flop.  The Scotto's were supposed to be there with Italian food and cooking items, saw them there maybe 2 or 3 times and then never again.  Adina from David's was launching Divine Treats, even left her job at David's cookies and that flopped.  24 hour live presentations never worked out.  I also thought Kathy Levine was going to be there and on air.  I never saw her or heard her mentioned.

It wasn't that all of that failed.  It was all cancelled when the two guys that took over and named it Evine were suddenly replaced. 

All of their ideas were shit canned.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Wow! Now they are in Vegas! Last week in Miami. I enjoy these locations. Something different at least.

Reminds me of the old Avis Rent a Car slogan - "We try harder!" .

• Like 3

During Evine's jewelry event there is 12 month no-interest financing if you spend over $500 on an Evine credit card (I'm guessing in one whole purchase) and keep up with the monthly payments.

Nearly midnight in Vegas on a Saturday and Strip traffic looks like rush hour around my neck of the woods on a weekday.

Looks like they have the entire jewelry OAP/vendor ensemble in Vegas for this event.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

During Evine's jewelry event there is 12 month no-interest financing if you spend over $500 on an Evine credit card (I'm guessing in one whole purchase) and keep up with the monthly payments.

Nearly midnight in Vegas on a Saturday and Strip traffic looks like rush hour around my neck of the woods on a weekday.

Looks like they have the entire jewelry OAP/vendor ensemble in Vegas for this event.

All of the jewelry brands they sell would be in Vegas anyway to conduct business.  Evine sending a crew there is a smart idea.  

Those suppliers paid their own way to Vegas so that's not on Evine.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Well, the current host just threw Paul Deasy under the bus re: the Gem Insider brand.

I assume the rings are standard size 7 but they should mention it, especially if a ring can't be sized or can be minimally sized.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Well, the current host just threw Paul Deasy under the bus re: the Gem Insider brand.

I assume the rings are standard size 7 but they should mention it, especially if a ring can't be sized or can be minimally sized.

What was said?

I saw Gem Insider was still being used so I guess it wasn't Paul's to take with him when he left!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Puddy said:

What was said?

I saw Gem Insider was still being used so I guess it wasn't Paul's to take with him when he left!

Current host is Heather Hall.

And yes, Gem Insider is an Evine thing.

Hang on a bit, I've rewound the DVR.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Current host is Heather Hall.

And yes, Gem Insider is an Evine thing.

Hang on a bit, I've rewound the DVR.

I will wait for as long as it takes!!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

And I totally agree about ring sizing.  Lots of times, they say up two/down two but that is not always correct.

I know Chuck used to offer to make a new ring in whatever size a customer wanted and it was at no charge.  

• Useful 1

"Authentically old school" Gem Insider presentation of jasper rings and earrings was first.

Heather, "It feels very global.  That's why we're saying this is very old Gem Insider.  This is for the authentic Gem Insider..."

After Earl showed up she mentioned to him that he's getting more and more into exotic gemstones.  He said that it is what a gem insider is about.

He also mentioned he wants to bring Evine customers the rarest and the best.

Maybe not the biggest diss to Deasy to some people, but it is one.

Edit:  I once had to get a size 7 ring  in 14k brought down to a 3.5.  The jeweler who did it was shocked when I showed up and happily showed him it fit my right ring finger.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

14 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Maybe not the biggest diss to Deasy to some people, but it is one.

Ooooo.  Definite side eye to Deasy!

17 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Edit:  I once had to get a size 7 ring  in 14k brought down to a 3.5.  The jeweler who did it was shocked when I showed up and happily showed him it fit my right ring finger.

Now that is a huge difference!  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

4 hours ago, Puddy said:

Now that is a huge difference!  

The rep at the jewelry store I visited had to convince the jeweler that my hands were/are that small, and 3.5 was not a typo.  He literally did want to see me wearing it when I showed up to get it.

For the record, and it's embarrassing I know this, a 3.5 ring's circumference is nearly the same of the lid of a 50 ml liquor bottle, aka, the bottle you get on a plane.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Puddy said:

Albany just arrived in Las Vegas.

Irving? Haven't seen her since her infamous flirty/flighty/tipsy? last Q show with...........

B Mackie? Or.........................I think it was Bob.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 7EasyPayments said:

Irving? Haven't seen her since her infamous flirty/flighty/tipsy? last Q show with...........

B Mackie? Or.........................I think it was Bob.

Irvin.

She works for Evine now.  She gets to go to Italy all the time and pick out jewelry for Evine to sell.  It looks like a great gig.

39 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

The rep at the jewelry store I visited had to convince the jeweler that my hands were/are that small, and 3.5 was not a typo.  He literally did want to see me wearing it when I showed up to get it.

For the record, and it's embarrassing I know this, a 3.5 ring's circumference is nearly the same of the lid of a 50 ml liquor bottle, aka, the bottle you get on a plane.

That is tiny!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

According to the ring information  I checked on the website, only the Gem Insider Signature Collection items are one size only, looks like 7 for women's rings, and 10 for men's. That collection is very high priced rings. They are gold, so they can be sized. The lower priced Gem Insider rings are available in different sizes. They're all gorgeous!

What I've always heard is that you can size a ring two sizes up or down. Anything further would distort the band.

Evine also carries a high end jewelry line called Fierra that has rings only in size 7 (women's.) The Fierra collection also includes other items such as earrings. Beautiful things.

I watched a little of the Las Vegas shows last night and this afternoon. Looks like fun, and there were some good "event price" bargains.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

30 minutes ago, Puddy said:

Irvin.

She works for Evine now.  She gets to go to Italy all the time and pick out jewelry for Evine to sell.  It looks like a great gig.

That is tiny!

Interesting to note the different career paths AmyS, Albany and Jonathan have taken since being hired together. With the way things came off the rails for AI at the Q, and then her stint as a sidekick to a certain former Q host (which didn't appear to be working to her advantage at the time!), good to see that she seems to have finally achieved a certain success which eluded her in her previous gigs.

• Like 3