Type keyword(s) to search

Current Squad 2017-2018: Media, Music, Videos & Show Group

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Kayce said:

And I'm the opposite...lol.  From the snippets from last year, I thought she was an obvious choice as a rookie candidate on SG. :)  and I will be surprised if she doesn't make it back.  

I can't wait to see who's right! :)

• Love 1

I think Lauren has moments where she shines and others where she doesn’t. I think that’s kinda the story of last year’s rookie class. Other than Savannah, I don’t think anyone is awful. However, no one else other than Gina is consistently great IMO(and even with her, I’m basing it more on non-DCC dancing). Lexie has moments; Rachel looks like a powerhouse at times; Alexis grabs my attention every now and then, etc. I’m curious to see how they perform this year.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I think Lauren has moments where she shines and others where she doesn’t. I think that’s kinda the story of last year’s rookie class. Other than Savannah, I don’t think anyone is awful. However, no one else other than Gina is consistently great IMO(and even with her, I’m basing it more on non-DCC dancing). Lexie has moments; Rachel looks like a powerhouse at times; Alexis grabs my attention every now and then, etc. I’m curious to see how they perform this year.

Gina is a great dancer for sure, and I think she will work her way up in the ranks pretty quickly this year.  

• Love 4

I feel like Lauren was one of the strongest rookie performers last year, IIRC her only major fault was that she was a take home girl and had a hard time picking stuff up on the fly.  I think especially now that she has a year under her belt there will be little to find to pick at. Just my impression.  

And personally, I'm kind of meh about SG ...these past few years anyway.  Like the fact that Amy L hasn't made it yet even though she's an amazing dancer/performer, leader and has won multiple barbies (showing technique, skill and performance quality) makes it pretty clear it's not just about the best of the best anymore, or as Jennifer put it once "elite group of performers."   They obviously have their reasons for picking the girls they do but it's just not that exciting to me anymore. 

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

I feel like Lauren was one of the strongest rookie performers last year, IIRC her only major fault was that she was a take home girl and had a hard time picking stuff up on the fly.  I think especially now that she has a year under her belt there will be little to find to pick at. Just my impression.  

And personally, I'm kind of meh about SG ...these past few years anyway.  Like the fact that Amy L hasn't made it yet even though she's an amazing dancer/performer, leader and has won multiple barbies (showing technique, skill and performance quality) makes it pretty clear it's not just about the best of the best anymore, or as Jennifer put it once "elite group of performers."   They obviously have their reasons for picking the girls they do but it's just not that exciting to me anymore. 

I think they have to be well-rounded in many different styles.  (From what I've seen on the show:) They bring in (at least 3) different types/styles of choreographers and those routines are evaluated for SG, plus pom routines, kicks and tricks/leaps.  Who knows what else they do?  Someone can be really good in a few areas and not excel in hip-hop, or lyrical, or whatever.

I guess they need some kind of criteria to decide who makes SG, but it does seem silly to put so much emphasis on technical ability when, from what I've seen, they do the same routines the general squad does.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

I thought someone had said last year that maybe Amy opted out of SG because of her time commitment to her studio 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, dccfan37 said:

I thought someone had said last year that maybe Amy opted out of SG because of her time commitment to her studio 

I thought I remembered Milan opting out as well...because of her studies.  Seems like I remember hearing that about Amy.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

that was what speculation made around here.  i'd like to think it was her choice so i'll focus on that and drop it.   

Ahhh..then maybe that's where I got it from regarding Amy.  I saw Milan's on one of the episodes of MTT.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LaurenBrook said:

I agree so much. I was especially mad with Kalyssa as they just put her on because she was gorgeous. She was very obviously lacking in technique, so i'd give a pass to Tasha making showgroup mostly on looks, but at least Tasha has solid technique. I understand that they have to have different types of girls, but at least in the past all of the girls were amazing but they had their unique qualities.

21 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

For whatever reason Lauren decided not to participate in the swim calendar. They may say it’s ok for now, but if she can’t or won’t fulfill all her duties like everyone else....I would not be surprised if she’s no longer a fave and this is her last year. 

Savannah they seem to adore for whatever reason, and we thought Tasha would be cut last year, but here she is on show group. Seriously, unless there are some amazing rookies, Savannah on show group won’t suprise me at all. Savannah is in shape, a token red head, and she can dance in her own, just struggles with a group. We’ll see, I guess. 

That's what I'm worries about re: Lauren. I really find it hard to believe that there won't be any consequences.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

I agree so much. I was especially mad with Kalyssa as they just put her on because she was gorgeous. She was very obviously lacking in technique, so i'd give a pass to Tasha making showgroup mostly on looks, but at least Tasha has solid technique. I understand that they have to have different types of girls, but at least in the past all of the girls were amazing but they had their unique qualities.

That's what I'm worries about re: Lauren. I really find it hard to believe that there won't be any consequences.

100% agree about Kalyssa. 

As for Lauren, I truly hope not.  I think she is adorable.  Is she Abigail Klein?  Nope, but I do find her very relatable and approachable.  For me, that is a big part of what is desired in the DCC package.  I've posted this before but for those who didn't see it, this picture from last year's DCC USO tour, is what sealed the deal for me being a Lauren fan.

lauren child.jpg

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Tootie said:

I think they have to be well-rounded in many different styles.  (From what I've seen on the show:) They bring in (at least 3) different types/styles of choreographers and those routines are evaluated for SG, plus pom routines, kicks and tricks/leaps.  Who knows what else they do?  Someone can be really good in a few areas and not excel in hip-hop, or lyrical, or whatever.

I don't think that matters much anymore. They stopped doing the uso tours that involved different styles of dance as well as singing. As far as I can tell, they don't do that variety show format anywhere anymore ...not at trade shows or anywhere else.

As someone said upthread it looks like they just do scaled down versions of dances the whole team knows. If that is truly the case then they don't need the best dancers on show group. What they need are the most mature, personable, adaptable, well spoken members who have mastered the existing choreo and can adapt easily to performing in different settings. And or course as always, they need to represent a variety of looks to appeal to different tastes.

• Love 8
(edited)

I Stopped caring about show group once they stopped performing on the USO tours. I still support the USO tours, but performance wise I think SG only performs at paid performances. It just doesn’t have the same specialness as it did when they were putting on those amazing shows for the troops.

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, dreamcatcher said:

But but but....Kalyssa was "precious" and "nasty in a good way".....(I guess they see what that got them now) oh...and she could shake her tatas. (insert eye roll) 

4 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I Stopped caring about show group once they stopped performing on the USO tours. I still support the USO tours, but performance wide I think SG only performs at paid performances. It just doesn’t have the same specialness as it did when they were putting on those amazing shows for the troops.

When did they stop doing the USO tour? I thought they were still doing it. 

Edited by Kayce
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I Stopped caring about show group once they stopped performing on the USO tours. I still support the USO tours, but performance wise I think SG only performs at paid performances. It just doesn’t have the same specialness as it did when they were putting on those amazing shows for the troops.

As a former Air Force brat, I greatly identified with the USO shows they performed for the troops.  It was very disappointing to learn they were no longer doing them.  I also think many, if not all of the girls chosen to go on these tours, miss this part of SG as well.  I'd love to see these shows reinstated.

• Love 3

I like the fact they went to home based military bases last year as part of the USO Tour and took non show group members. The Air Force Base in Great Falls was the first base they went to. Now if they decide to visit VA Hospitals and Centers across the country and make a trip to the one where I live would be great. Montana has one of the highest rates of veterans in the U.S. Giving @ShellyB some hints and ideas to take to Kelli and Judy  My husband is a vet and gets medical treatment at the local VA Hospital, and I of course would have to go to the hospital with him if a few DCCs came to visit.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, go4luca said:

As a former Air Force brat, I greatly identified with the USO shows they performed for the troops.  It was very disappointing to learn they were no longer doing them.  I also think many, if not all of the girls chosen to go on these tours, miss this part of SG as well.  I'd love to see these shows reinstated.

That makes me sad :( I didn't know or I just didn't pay attention is more like it that they weren't doing the international ones anymore. 

Edited by Kayce
1 hour ago, go4luca said:

100% agree about Kalyssa. 

As for Lauren, I truly hope not.  I think she is adorable.  Is she Abigail Klein?  Nope, but I do find her very relatable and approachable.  For me, that is a big part of what is desired in the DCC package.  I've posted this before but for those who didn't see it, this picture from last year's DCC USO tour, is what sealed the deal for me being a Lauren fan.

lauren child.jpg

Couldn't agree more! Dance wise she's incredible and while as you said, she's no Abigail, she's really cute and relatable. I'm just so worried there will be consequences for her... guess we'll see when SG auditions come around!

1 hour ago, sleepyjean said:

I don't think that matters much anymore. They stopped doing the uso tours that involved different styles of dance as well as singing. As far as I can tell, they don't do that variety show format anywhere anymore ...not at trade shows or anywhere else.

As someone said upthread it looks like they just do scaled down versions of dances the whole team knows. If that is truly the case then they don't need the best dancers on show group. What they need are the most mature, personable, adaptable, well spoken members who have mastered the existing choreo and can adapt easily to performing in different settings. And or course as always, they need to represent a variety of looks to appeal to different tastes.

Well even in this line of thinking, Savanah would be the last person to be considered for SG. I actually think they had more girls who deserved SG ahead of Kalyssa and Tasha (just to add: she has definitely improved and has won me over, but I still don't think she was SG worthy last year).

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Couldn't agree more! Dance wise she's incredible and while as you said, she's no Abigail, she's really cute and relatable. I'm just so worried there will be consequences for her... guess we'll see when SG auditions come around!

Well even in this line of thinking, Savanah would be the last person to be considered for SG. I actually think they had more girls who deserved SG ahead of Kalyssa and Tasha (just to add: she has definitely improved and has won me over, but I still don't think she was SG worthy last year).

I love Lauren!  (But maybe that's because I'm also a nurse and I relate to that) 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

I guess they need some kind of criteria to decide who makes SG, but it does seem silly to put so much emphasis on technical ability when, from what I've seen, they do the same routines the general squad does.

I would say they do NOT even take the best dancers for show group.  It is whatever feather at that moment for the Ms K ...

2 hours ago, 5678Pixie said:

Tasha's husband posted and IG story of her daughter practicing kicking and he said "Future DCC" looks like we know she will be ready when it's her time to audition.

Well that picture was adorable of Ivy in front of her momma!  

• Love 3

I was sad last year when they stopped doing the international USO tour too. That was one thing I always respected and appreciated about the DCC. I LOVE that they are going state side to appreciate the troops here though. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I like the fact they went to home based military bases last year as part of the USO Tour and took non show group members. 

I see nothing wrong with U.S. based military visits.  But for the military serving a gazillion miles away, I think it's a nice piece of home that the men at least, seem to really enjoy.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kayce said:

But but but....Kalyssa was "precious" and "nasty in a good way".....(I guess they see what that got them now) oh...and she could shake her tatas. (insert eye roll) 

When did they stop doing the USO tour? I thought they were still doing it. 

They stopped PERFORMING on the USO tours. They still do them.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Other than Savannah, I don’t think anyone is awful.

Yes. Savannah is awful.

It pains me to say that, but you can't put lipstick on a pig.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, go4luca said:

I see nothing wrong with U.S. based military visits.  But for the military serving a gazillion miles away, I think it's a nice piece of home that the men at least, seem to really enjoy.

I certainly agree, but it nice for visits to home based bases too especially for bases like the one in Great Falls or other states the majority of people seem to forget about.

52 minutes ago, Txmomof2 said:

I was sad last year when they stopped doing the international USO tour too. That was one thing I always respected and appreciated about the DCC. I LOVE that they are going state side to appreciate the troops here though. 

When USO tours started women weren't serving on combat arenas, phone service was spotty, and internet didn't exist.

Decades later we have video chat and women in combat zones. Young women coming to entertain the troops is so 1950's. Ummm, no.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, hypeman said:

When USO tours started women weren't serving on combat arenas, phone service was spotty, and internet didn't exist.

Decades later we have video chat and women in combat zones. Young women coming to entertain the troops is so 1950's. Ummm, no.

By your posts @hypeman, I can tell you're a bright cookie.  Although I see your point, here's one place we'll differ. 

I think modern SM and technology have their place.  But too often I see them taking the place of good old fashioned (yep, I admitted that), face to face and/or in person time.  I still think spending time in the physical form is needed and there are times I wonder what will become of us socially, the less time we spend talking or interacting in person together. 

I'll never think people can't benefit from an in person smile or good old fashioned hug.  YMMV.  Just a personal observation of mine.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Kayce said:

Kelli, in one of the first TC meetings, (I can't remember the season) said they expect them to be "camera ready" at all times.  

Some of the gals over the years have been fine with lighter makeup...not everyone needs or does a full MAC force field. But on a CMT filming day, you blow in late, looking a hot mess with dirty hair in a limp ponytail and no makeup on? I’m with Kelli on this, honestly. She was already late. Take two minutes in your car to add some dry shampoo, put on lips and mascara and blot your shiny face. 

Most of these women are probably full hair and make up at all times anyway, so it just becomes an expectation. The culture shock I got from transferring to TCU as an undergrad was next level. No more tees for class, wear dresses and heels at football games. 

I don’t always go all out, but you’ll rarely catch me without at least my lips done! 

• Love 5

Frankly, if I ever was in a situation like Training Camp where I needed a face full of makeup, I would not only need to actually BUY makeup, but I'd need several makeup tutorials because I don't know what looks good on me (in terms of color), what products I'd actually need, and how to apply the things I purchased.  Can you tell I rarely buy makeup beyond lip balms (EOS rules)?  I don't even have mascara or eye shadow much less anything else.  It's a struggle for me to even put product in my hair, much less apply makeup.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, hypeman said:

Just because there is social media and women in the armed forces doesn't mean those troops don't appreciate people coming over and seeing them. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I see nothing in that to keep USO tours from happening or them being outdated. So women are watching them dance? Big deal, many women enjoy it for what it is - entertainment.  To have someone come in person that is not family to say we appreciate you and what you do means something. 

It's also why I appreciate them going stateside. Not only to say thank you to the troops but also the families that will go with out family members for months at a time.  

One of my favorite episodes last season was when they went and visited the veterans. I'm hoping that they spend more time this season with those types of appearances - visiting with veterans, doing the camps with little girls. 

• Love 6

Today is the first day of the second week of Training Camp.  Rookies have had their makeovers.  I expect we'll be seeing or hearing about cuts at some point this week.  Erin was the first girl out last season, cut at the end of the second week.  I wonder who will be the first person cut this year.

1 hour ago, EricaShadows said:

Frankly, if I ever was in a situation like Training Camp where I needed a face full of makeup, I would not only need to actually BUY makeup, but I'd need several makeup tutorials because I don't know what looks good on me (in terms of color), what products I'd actually need, and how to apply the things I purchased.  Can you tell I rarely buy makeup beyond lip balms (EOS rules)?  I don't even have mascara or eye shadow much less anything else.  It's a struggle for me to even put product in my hair, much less apply makeup.

This is where I think DCC could step it up for the cheerleaders.  I would spoil the cheerleaders.  They have the $$.   Game day would have stylists to get them ready after the long practice.  Every month there would be a makeup goody bag for the cheerleaders..name brand, and makeup artists before shows, games & appearances.  Also, and I would have to check the budget, a clothing allowance and leasing of a car for each cheerleader thrown in.  

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Jazzmom said:

This is where I think DCC could step it up for the cheerleaders.  I would spoil the cheerleaders.  They have the $$.   Game day would have stylists to get them ready after the long practice.  Every month there would be a makeup goody bag for the cheerleaders..name brand, and makeup artists before shows, games & appearances.  Also, and I would have to check the budget, a clothing allowance and leasing of a car for each cheerleader thrown in.  

I don't know if they still get all this, but at one time or another, they got free facials, tanning, dental care, hair and makeup products, products from local businesses for group gifts, etc.  Someone said they would get gift certificates from local boutiques.  The girls would wear the clothing and the store got free advertising.  Their hair and makeup does get done for certain things - I know it was done for the gals teaching the routine at semis.  And I thought they got free dance and exercise classes.  They get shoes and workout gear.  They get chauffeured to some appearances.  I would take all that.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

I find it strange that they took her. I mean why pay for her to go if they aren’t getting anything in return?  The whole sitch is just odd. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Tdoc72 said:

I find it strange that they took her. I mean why pay for her to go if they aren’t getting anything in return?  The whole sitch is just odd. 

Maybe they needed some BTS assistance and that was the trade-off?  Or they've been impressed enough with her rookie year to respect her wishes if she didn't want to appear in the calendar?  The calendar trip itself is a great team builder.  If she earned her trip working BTS (as it appears she did from photos and videos posted), then why not?  I don't believe everyone gets a spot in the calendars?

Any way, just found these shots of Lauren with Lennon.  My I adore Lauren meter just went even higher.  She obviously has a way with kids and TPTB may recognize her added value for the DCC camps.  These appear to have been taken a few days ahead of the dog attack.

icannotknow_11_6_2018_17_6_31_868.jpg

icannotknow_11_6_2018_17_6_38_415.jpg

• Love 11
2 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

So this would be during the 2nd season cause I see Abigail and Leah.  They probably aren't this casual anymore.

Oops, 3rd season.  I see Jordan K

Whose the blonde in the pink striped shorts that look like she's wearing her underwear?  The camera zooms in on them.

36 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Whose the blonde in the pink striped shorts that look like she's wearing her underwear?  The camera zooms in on them.

um that would be the ever so lovely perky buns Abigail Klein

1 hour ago, go4luca said:

Maybe they needed some BTS assistance and that was the trade-off?  Or they've been impressed enough with her rookie year to respect her wishes if she didn't want to appear in the calendar?  The calendar trip itself is a great team builder.  If she earned her trip working BTS (as it appears she did from photos and videos posted), then why not?  I don't believe everyone gets a spot in the calendars?

Any way, just found these shots of Lauren with Lennon.  My I adore Lauren meter just went even higher.  She obviously has a way with kids and TPTB may recognize her added value for the DCC camps.  These appear to have been taken a few days ahead of the dog attack.

icannotknow_11_6_2018_17_6_31_868.jpg

icannotknow_11_6_2018_17_6_38_415.jpg

That second picture is the cutest ever!  ADORBS ADORBS ADORBS?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jazzmom said:

I really don’t think they bring in anywhere near the kindof revenue that would support all that. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, hypeman said:

Yes. Savannah is awful.

It pains me to say that, but you can't put lipstick on a pig.

Well you COULD. Besides, she can't be THAT awful.

4 hours ago, kalibean said:

Some of the gals over the years have been fine with lighter makeup...not everyone needs or does a full MAC force field. But on a CMT filming day, you blow in late, looking a hot mess with dirty hair in a limp ponytail and no makeup on? I’m with Kelli on this, honestly. She was already late. Take two minutes in your car to add some dry shampoo, put on lips and mascara and blot your shiny face. 

Most of these women are probably full hair and make up at all times anyway, so it just becomes an expectation. The culture shock I got from transferring to TCU as an undergrad was next level. No more tees for class, wear dresses and heels at football games. 

I don’t always go all out, but you’ll rarely catch me without at least my lips done! 

Doubt it. 

17 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I really don’t think they bring in anywhere near the kindof revenue that would support all that. 

lol right..they're just cheerleaders anyway

9 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Seems like a few other teams will do it if the DCC don't care to anymore.

IMG_2735.JPG

• Love 2
3 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I don't know if they still get all this, but at one time or another, they got free facials, tanning, dental care, hair and makeup products, products from local businesses for group gifts, etc.  Someone said they would get gift certificates from local boutiques.  The girls would wear the clothing and the store got free advertising.  Their hair and makeup does get done for certain things - I know it was done for the gals teaching the routine at semis.  And I thought they got free dance and exercise classes.  They get shoes and workout gear.  They get chauffeured to some appearances.  I would take all that.

Chiefs have a team that is onsite for games/appearances .  Sure other teams do as well.  DCC really is on the low end 

5 hours ago, lfedncr said:

Chiefs have a team that is onsite for games/appearances .  Sure other teams do as well.  DCC really is on the low end 

I'm pretty sure the Dolphins are one of them, and I'm almost positive the Eagles do as well.  I agree, I imagine there are others.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Same here! I own ONE tube of mascara and that's it.  It drives my daughter full on insane because she has a degree in theatre and makeup is HER life!!!  You should see the suitcases...(yes I said suitcases as in plural) of makeup she has.

Edited by Kayce
  • Love 2