Type keyword(s) to search

Current Squad 2017-2018: Media, Music, Videos & Show Group

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, healthnut said:

Lauren has the best abs on the team! Were they trying to hide her six pack?

Do you remember in auditions when some of the judges made a comment about Alexandria (I think that was her; she wore a red dress for her solo) looking too muscular?  Kelli answered that the uniform would hide her arms.  I'm wondering if Kelli doesn't like a really "ripped" body and, since you can't hide your abdomen in that uniform, she chose a post of Lauren from the back.  Lauren's face looks really pretty in her cameo; she's one of my new favorites.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pink-n-Green said:

Do you remember in auditions when some of the judges made a comment about Alexandria (I think that was her; she wore a red dress for her solo) looking too muscular?  Kelli answered that the uniform would hide her arms.  I'm wondering if Kelli doesn't like a really "ripped" body and, since you can't hide your abdomen in that uniform, she chose a post of Lauren from the back.  Lauren's face looks really pretty in her cameo; she's one of my new favorites.

I think Kelli does not. I think she might prefer toned, but not overly muscular. It loses its feminine touch perhaps? I might be in the minority, as much as I think it is incredible that Lauren has a 6-pack (major props because I only have a 1-pack LOL), I prefer defined abs rather than a 6-pack.

• Love 1
On November 7, 2017 at 1:08 PM, MrsEVH said:

Simone talked about all her injuries on the latest DCC podcast.  She said they call her "Accident prone Simone".

May be why she is not a group leader.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2017 at 10:11 PM, tinabee1967 said:

Jinelle is GOOD! How could I have overlooked her dancing? I think she is sharp, energetic and clean in her movements. 

She really is! I went a game with very good seats and could see the DCC doing side line dances and Jinelle really stood out to me as being the sharpest in the group

• Love 3
On 11/7/2017 at 9:03 PM, Spooky said:

Someone please teach Gina how to smile and not look like a total beeyotch in every.single.picture. 

For real.  I have no idea why she was chosen for the team - she always, ALWAYS has a smug, bitchy look on her face.  I can't imagine anyone feeling comfortable enough to approach her.

• Love 5

http://www.dallascowboys.com/cheerleaders/roster/cersten

Cersten needs to figure out if she's a surgical tech, a pediatric nurse, or a medical assistant.  All are considered different occupations with different scopes of practice, and that's not even mentioning that "nurse" is considered a protected title by the Texas Nursing Practice Act.  Unless she has the proper education and credentials (and no, a medical school hopeful doesn't qualify), she shouldn't be calling herself a nurse.

• Love 11

Christina's bio says she took 5 times to make it.  Didn't Amy Simone take the same amount of time? If she had made the team last year,  I wonder if she would have made it back for a 2nd season.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

Cersten needs to figure out if she's a surgical tech, a pediatric nurse, or a medical assistant.  All are considered different occupations with different scopes of practice, and that's not even mentioning that "nurse" is considered a protected title by the Texas Nursing Practice Act.  Unless she has the proper education and credentials (and no, a medical school hopeful doesn't qualify), she shouldn't be calling herself a nurse.

I hate it when people inflate their titles with fancy words to sound smarter or fancier.  I appreciate she's probably smart and may end up a doctor or nurse or something but both those professions require higher education beyond college so I'm not sure how she is a pediatric nurse??  Annoying

It's like this girl on instagram who calls herself "doc" but when you ask what her degree is in, she says she's a "doctor of physical therapy" ... I think physical therapists are awesome and so important but I don't think she actually has an MD

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

I hate it when people inflate their titles with fancy words to sound smarter or fancier.  I appreciate she's probably smart and may end up a doctor or nurse or something but both those professions require higher education beyond college so I'm not sure how she is a pediatric nurse??  Annoying

To be fair, though, their social media people aren't exactly the greatest, so I take what they call her career with a grain of salt.

You do need education beyond college to be a doctor, not to be a nurse (a nurse practitioner is a different story, however).

Not to be mean, but I predict Cersten is going to be neither, she'll open a barre/dance studio just like they all do (I hope I'm wrong).

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, ByTor said:

To be fair, though, their social media people aren't exactly the greatest, so I take what they call her career with a grain of salt.

You do need education beyond college to be a doctor, not to be a nurse (a nurse practitioner is a different story, however).

Not to be mean, but I predict Cersten is going to be neither, she'll open a barre/dance studio just like they all do (I hope I'm wrong).

Really?  My friend had to apply to nursing school before becoming a nurse.  It's not like she went and became a nurse right after college....

haha - I get why you think that.  I'm holding out hope!  Doesn't Melissa (former DCC) do something uber smart?

3 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Really?  My friend had to apply to nursing school before becoming a nurse.  It's not like she went and became a nurse right after college....

Nursing school is college, your degree is a BS in nursing (in my ex husband's case he got an Associates in Nursing, he got his RN and  a job right out of his 2 years in school). You do become a nurse right after college,  A Nurse Practitioner (if that's what your friend is) does require more than a bachelor's degree.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

How is that no one noticed that her occupation is listed in 3 different ways on the same page? The DCC website is all sorts of embarrassing. High school kids editing the yearbook do a better job.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

It's like this girl on instagram who calls herself "doc" but when you ask what her degree is in, she says she's a "doctor of physical therapy" ... I think physical therapists are awesome and so important but I don't think she actually has an MD

Are you aware that to be a physical therapist, they must have a Phd?  Otherwise they are a physical therapist assistant.  If you know her last name you can easily check to see if she is a registered nurse usually by checking on the state website where she is registered.

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Nursing school is college, your degree is a BS in nursing (in my ex husband's case he got an Associates in Nursing, he got his RN and  a job right out of his 2 years in school). You do become a nurse right after college,  A Nurse Practitioner (if that's what your friend is) does require more than a bachelor's degree.

I was always under the impression her degree was in bio.  I think that's what people are saying- that she'd need additional training to actually be a nurse (or, really- any of the things listed- depending on the state.)

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Calicocats said:

I was always under the impression her degree was in bio.  I think that's what people are saying- that she'd need additional training to actually be a nurse (or, really- any of the things listed- depending on the state.)

Cersten?  I think she says her degree is in Biology.  I imagine in order to sit for the RN licensing exam you would need a degree in nursing, or at the very least a minimum number of nursing credits.  

A comment was made that a person can't get a nursing job right from out of college, it wasn't specifically about Cersten.

24 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

Are you aware that to be a physical therapist, they must have a Phd?

I thought Physical Therapists were required to obtain a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT), not a PhD.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

Um so looks like we clearly needs some education about medical professions. 

First off CERSTEN = graduated from LSU. She was working as a surg tech/medical assistant. She is NOT and never has been a nurse of any way shape or form. Not a Registered Nurse or a LVN/LPN. Maybe a nurse assistant. TOLD Y'ALL HER DR. CERSTEN CLAIMS WERE SIDE EYE WORTHY. She didn't have scores before and is too wrapped up in DCC now. 

Registered Nurse is indeed as somebody said a protected title. My mom is a RN. She went to a 2 year college and got an Associate's degree, passed her RN boards, then went on to do a BSN (four year nursing degree). You can get your nursing degree but never pass boards, and without passing boards you are NOT a registered nurse. Lauren is indeed a registered nurse, but not working full time as one.

Cersten is like Jackie Bob was. Surg tech/medical assistant which meant she prepped rooms and tools for surgery. I don't know if either of them actually assisted during surgical procedures, but I don't think Cersten is doing brain surgery. You can get a surgical technician two year degree, but a lot of hospitals also hire people who are in nursing school, trying to get into med school, from other countries where their creds don't work in the US, etc. as surg techs. If Cersten says she's a nurse she is a liar. 

Physical therapy - that is my major. There are two year physical therapy assistant degrees, and there are some places that hire physical therapy 'assistants' who are more like activity coordinators who just ambulate patients and do ROM type stuff. Real physical therapists end up with a Dr. of Physical Therapy degree (DPT), after finishing grad school/physical therapy school. Depends on the program but most have a four year degree in something then two years in PT grad school for the DPT, or like me, a three plus two program where you go five straight years and end up with a DPT - IF you pass boards as well. Similar to pharmacy school (Pharm D.). Neither are Ph.D.s.

ETA : phone won't cooperate but people with 2 year PTA degrees do more than people who are just hired as the 'fake' assistants who don't have a degree. Not dissing PTAs. They work hard and do the dirty work. I work in summer as a PTA extern/assistant, and trust me it is exhausting helping people regain strength. Rewarding, but exhausting for us and more for the patients.

Cersten may work with kids in some way, and she may want to go back to school to be a pediatric nurse, but she has a biology degree, NOT an nursing degree of any way, shape or form.

• Love 4

I'm a RN, so I'm very clear on what it entails to use the title of "nurse."  I expect Cersten AND the social media department of the "world class DCC" to know what it means before they publicly state that someone is a nurse.

Edited by 123DCCWoooo
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I'm a RN, so I'm very clear on what it entails to use the title of "nurse."  And I expect the social media department of the "world class DCC" to know what it means before they publicly state that someone is a nurse.

The girls write their own bios...for the record, Cersten works as a nurse’s assistant for a Pediatric Urologist, who just happens to be a former DCC. She occasdsionally assists with surgeries. I’ve had a few conversations with her about her medical journey. She has every intention of going to Med school when she’s finished with DCC...she’s young and has time on her side. She also has two formers mentoring her and sharing their experience with cheering & school. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 12

While we're on the topic of the "world class" social media department, they have that Miranda is a "Jr. High School (I thought the last time the term "Jr. High School" was used was back in the 80s when I was in Jr. High School LOL ) math tutor".  A tutor isn't exactly a career.  Or is she a teacher & they screwed up?  Well, at least they aren't given stupid Bachelor & Bachelorette careers like "Chicken Enthusiast" LOL.

4 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

The girls write their own bios...for the record, Cersten works as a nurse’s assistant for a Pediatric Urologist, who just happens to be a former DCC. She occasdsionally assists with surgeries. I’ve had a few conversations with her about her medical journey. She has every intention of going to Med school when she’s finished with DCC...she’s young and has time on her side. She also has two formers mentoring her and sharing their experience with cheering & school. 

Please have a convo with her on the difference in a nurse and nurse assistant. If she does become a doctor the nurses are going to hate her for calling her self a nurse. Nurses run the show no matter where you are. Get on their bad side and you're screwed, no matter if you're a doctor, PT, ST, etc.

3 minutes ago, ByTor said:

While we're on the topic of the "world class" social media department, they have that Miranda is a "Jr. High School (I thought the last time the term "Jr. High School" was used was back in the 80s when I was in Jr. High School LOL ) math tutor".  A tutor isn't exactly a career.  Or is she a teacher & they screwed up?  Well, at least they aren't given stupid Bachelor & Bachelorette careers like "Chicken Enthusiast" LOL.

Math tutor. 1 boob + 1 boob should = two boobs. Just sayin'.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

That sounds wonderful, but she still shouldn't be using a title that she hasn't earned.  A nursing assistant does not equal a nurse.  I know I'm harping on semantics that may sound petty to the non-medical world, but language makes a difference.  I can't call myself a nurse practitioner, or a doctor, or a physical therapist without earning that title through schooling and licensure.  Medical assistants in doctors' offices are notorious for calling themselves "nurses" when they do not have a nurse's education and licensure - this is why a majority of states (including Texas) have language in their Nursing Practice Acts that protects the title.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

Medical assistants in doctors' offices are notorious for calling themselves "nurses" when they do not have a nurse's education and licensure - this is why a majority of states (including Texas) have language in their Nursing Practice Acts that protects the title.

I don't know what the rules are in PA, but I have a cousin who works as a nurse (LPN) for an ENT practice, and while she's a nurse, she doesn't try to fool anybody into thinking she's an RN; when people ask what she does, she says she's an LPN.  Again, I don't know about rules, but to me lying about what you do is certainly an ethics violation.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

I think it's just awkward working...if she had written "Medical and Nurse Assistant in Pediatrics" the meaning would have been more clear.

I don't think Cersten was trying to get one over on anyone.  She's been very clear in her goals and unfortunately just didn't write her script with the same tone and emphasis that she would have when speaking about it.

Edited by kalibean
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I don't know what the rules are in PA, but I have a cousin who works as a nurse (LPN) for an ENT practice, and while she's a nurse, she doesn't try to fool anybody into thinking she's an RN; when people ask what she does, she says she's an LPN.  Again, I don't know about rules, but to me lying about what you do is certainly an ethics violation.

LVN and LPN (same thing pretty much, 1 year training and they a board exam too) are definitely nurses in the legal, semantic sense. Not registered nurses, but its legal for them to call themselves nurses in most states that I know of. Like you said, not registered nurse, but nurse. 

I would personally think about a possible ethics violation or looking like I was lying, if I were applying to med school and a more visible candidate due to being a DCC. 

1 minute ago, kalibean said:

I think it's just awkward working...if she had written "Medical and Nurse Assistant in Pediatrics" the meaning would have been more clear.

She wrote it that way on purpose. I am far more math/science brained than english/writing brained, even with terrible iphone English lol, but anyone working in a hospital and planning on a medical career should know the difference in a nurse and whatever Cersten is.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

That sounds wonderful, but she still shouldn't be using a title that she hasn't earned.  A nursing assistant does not equal a nurse.  I know I'm harping on semantics that may sound petty to the non-medical world, but language makes a difference.  I can't call myself a nurse practitioner, or a doctor, or a physical therapist without earning that title through schooling and licensure.  Medical assistants in doctors' offices are notorious for calling themselves "nurses" when they do not have a nurse's education and licensure - this is why a majority of states (including Texas) have language in their Nursing Practice Acts that protects the title.

Agreed. I don’t think anyone is saying that Cersten is doing nothing of relevance. Obviously, it sounds like she is getting great experience, but words matter. As someone who is not in the medical field, i have found that my friends who are take the titles quite seriously, moreso than some people in many other industries.

For example,I have one friend who is a physician’s assistant and another who is in school to become a nurse practitioner. I always get physician’s assistants confused with nurse practitioners, and they are always quick to correct me, not in a snarky way or anything, but they’re clear about what they are doing and what they aren’t. Cersten needs to be more precise. While it’s not the end of the world, these types of things can become ethical issues. 

• Love 6

I’m so pleased for Maggie and how well she is doing at DCC. Being on show group her rookie year, given the cover of the swimsuit calendar also as a rookie, now being in the third line of the triangle and on the front row for the squad photo. She seems like a lovely girl and is a really great dancer 

• Love 14
44 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Agreed. I don’t think anyone is saying that Cersten is doing nothing of relevance. Obviously, it sounds like she is getting great experience, but words matter. As someone who is not in the medical field, i have found that my friends who are take the titles quite seriously, moreso than some people in many other industries.

For example,I have one friend who is a physician’s assistant and another who is in school to become a nurse practitioner. I always get physician’s assistants confused with nurse practitioners, and they are always quick to correct me, not in a snarky way or anything, but they’re clear about what they are doing and what they aren’t. Cersten needs to be more precise. While it’s not the end of the world, these types of things can become ethical issues. 

OMG GURL! PAs and RNPs HATE each other. You bout to start a war! 

Cersten needs to use her words. Sounds like she is lying and bragging.

Edited by UnicornKicks
  • Love 1

Moving on because I know nothing about the medical field and terminology.. lol.

I've really enjoyed listening to the podcasts! I've REALLY enjoyed not hearing any little girl voices (eg. Erica, Heather H)

I do think they need to be an hour long - KELLI!!!!

I'd love to see a video of the performance Showgroup did with Aerosmith the other day! What a fun opportunity for them! Are there any videos out there? @ShellyB 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

We take it seriously because we never want to misrepresent ourselves as having education and licensure that we don't, especially for those that need services from a RN, MD, PA, NP, etc.  We all have licenses to protect the public - if I come to you while you're hospitalized and say "I'm your RN," you can look up my license to verify that I'm qualified to care for you according to my nursing practice act.  Everything is public record, including if my license has ever had disciplinary action taken against it.  Again, all protection for the public that seeks our services.  You would never want your medical assistant starting your IV line, or your RN prescribing medication, or your NP performing surgery.

Cersten needs to address this in her bio.  Bottom line.

OK, rant over.  ;)

• Love 6

Nowhere near the medical field here, but in my area, at least one of the community colleges has a Nursing program.  Now that just gets you an A.A. in the field and a foot in the door.  One of the MANY things that helps a student (the program is competitive entry) is to be a CNA (certified nursing assistant).  It not only gives the prospective student so-called bonus points on the Nursing program application, it lets them actually "try out" the nursing program and see if it's something they want to pursue.  Wouldn't you want someone who's actually trained and WANTS to be there and not someone who can't handle the job but there for the money? I also remember hearing that a lot of the hospitals are requiring BSNs to be hired on.  Maybe it was because we had two or three local colleges graduating nurses so there were more qualified nurses then jobs in the local economy.

59 minutes ago, JayDKay said:

Moving on because I know nothing about the medical field and terminology.. lol.

I've really enjoyed listening to the podcasts! I've REALLY enjoyed not hearing any little girl voices (eg. Erica, Heather H)

I do think they need to be an hour long - KELLI!!!!

I'd love to see a video of the performance Showgroup did with Aerosmith the other day! What a fun opportunity for them! Are there any videos out there? @ShellyB 

1 hour ago, JayDKay said:

I’ll have to see if the Social Media department is going to post any. 

• Love 2

I don't know anything about the medical profession or field either. What I do know is that there is a certain pride and sense of accomplishment that nurses have in obtaining their titles and status. I am sure that is why people are pointing this out on the board; not to bad mouth or punish Carsten but because they've worked hard (or known someone who has worked hard) to earn their title. 

Food for thought: If a girl misrepresented herself and said she was a group leader or said she was in showgroup when she wasn't, you can be sure Kelli and Judy (and Shelly) would NOT tolerate that!  We've even seen @ShellyB make pretty snide comments about another former DCC who didn't even finish her full first year. I love Shellys participation on this board, don't get me wrong, but she did make it seem like the former DCC wasn't a "real" DCC.  "Coat tails" if I remember corrrectly.

Imagine if the reverse happened and someone claimed to be an official Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader on a reality tv show about nurses, but they actually only took DCC prep classes.

Edited by Stee
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, ByTor said:

While I think most school districts have switched to the middle school format (grades 6, 7, 8), there are still a few who have kept the junior high format (grades 7, 8, 9). I know of at least one district in my area that still has the junior high format. On the other hand, my district has switched to the middle school format but did not change the names of the schools, so they're still called junior highs (i.e., Watson Junior High) even though they're really now middle schools. The biggest reason I can think of for not changing the names is signage (they all have those big stone slabs outside with "junior high" carved into them). Other than that, tradition. They've been "Whatever Junior High" for 50+ years, so they're still "Whatever Junior High." 

Tutoring can be a career (big bucks, too, in the right areas -- check some of the hourly rates for a private tutor), but I would think this is just something Miranda is doing while a DCC to meet the job/school requirement, especially if she's limited to junior high/middle school math.

1 hour ago, Stee said:

pretty snide comments

Not snide at all...reality. We don’t recognize anyone as Alumni or former if they didn’t complete a full year. And when I said “coattails”, I was referring to the circumstance in which she left...10 weeks of training camp, during which a movie was being made. She made her contacts, may have done 2-3 games, was given the cover of the calendar and then hightailed to LA without any notice. She has had a successful career, kudos to her. 

I don’t think Certsen is trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes. She has a genuine interest and plan for the medical field. If her bio seems misleading, perhaps she needs to edit. 

• Love 7

OK let's put this to rest and move on rather than beating a dead horse.

Certified nursing assistant-usually a 6 weeks program where they learning how to do vital signs, basic care such as getting people out of bed, bathing etc.  They work in long term care and some may be found in hospitals.  They are not prepared to work in a clinic

Medical assistant takes 9-12 months depending on what is included such as blood draws etc.  Some programs even put this into an associate program.  They learn about vital signs, some anatomy, lab tests that can be done in a clinic, giving injections, drawing blood etc.

An LPN or LVN usually has education of 12-18 months and has abbreviated eduction of anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, etc.  They are found in doctor's offices, long term care facilities and some hospitals still employ them.

An RN or registered nurse could have an associate or bachelor's degree.  Often those hired with associate degree must commit to completing a BSN within 5 years.  Associate degrees usually go for 2 years and have a more abbreviated course of study with less emphasis on leadership and no community health.  They also may have less clinical time for maternal child nursing.  A BSN has more leadership and community health along with more humanities.  An RN can also go to a hospital based program usually of 3 years and graduate with a diploma.  They do not have a college degree but take the same licensing exam as those with an associate or bachelor's degree.

A nurse practitioner has a Master's degree with specialized eduction and clinical practice.  She is called an advance practice nurse and can function as specialist in the hospital such as ER, ICU, NICU or in a clinic setting.  They have additional certifications for prescribing medications and controlled substances.  One of my friends who is a NP owns her own clinic and she hires her own physicians to work for her.

Those in an academic setting often have a PhD or DNP.

Oh, a PA or physician's assistant is a role created by physicians.  They have limited powers, never delivered bedside care to patients and cannot independently write orders without a cosign by a physician.

Let me get off my soapbox

Sign me a RN of 46 years, university professor, curriculum director of 37 years

• Love 13
14 hours ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

We take it seriously because we never want to misrepresent ourselves as having education and licensure that we don't, especially for those that need services from a RN, MD, PA, NP, etc.  We all have licenses to protect the public - if I come to you while you're hospitalized and say "I'm your RN," you can look up my license to verify that I'm qualified to care for you according to my nursing practice act.  Everything is public record, including if my license has ever had disciplinary action taken against it.  Again, all protection for the public that seeks our services.  You would never want your medical assistant starting your IV line, or your RN prescribing medication, or your NP performing surgery.

Cersten needs to address this in her bio.  Bottom line.

OK, rant over.  ;)

While I understand not wanting to misrepresent yourself, most of us (general public) don't know the difference between RN, LPN, LVN and whatever else there is. To us a nurse is a nurse and we're trusting you to do whatever you're trained to do. I do understand adding "assistant" or "aide" to the end of a title usually indicates "not the "real" thing" (for lack of a better term) & are there to assist/help the "real thing" but that's about it (no idea what they can/can't assist with). Call me stupid, but if anyone comes in to start my IV line, I'm assuming it's because they're trained to do so. I'm not checking their name tag for their title/qualifications because, let's be honest, I would only know there was a problem if their tag said something non-medical like security or janitor. ?

• Love 3

I guess I am in the minority because I do not think Cersten is all that. I think Judy and especially Kelli are wanting to have another Mia or Jackie Bob, but to me, there are no current DCCs who could compare to Jackie or Mia or even come close.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:21 AM, 123DCCWoooo said:

I just went and looked at her bio. I didn't read it as her saying she was a pediatric nurse, but as a pediatric nurse assistant and medical assistant, or a pediatric nurse medical assistant without the "and". Why would you list yourself as both a pediatric nurse and a medical assistant? While I don't know all the differences between the different types of nurses, I do know there's a  vast difference between nurses and medical assistants and it doesn't make sense to list yourself as both.

It could be the way they list her job title at work, or, not seeing what she actually wrote, I could also see her originally filling out the form "pediatric nurse medical assistant and surgical tech" and whoever put the info online, putting "surgical tech" in the occupation field up top (because it's shorter & fits up top better)  and "pediatric nurse and medical assistant down below (putting the "and" between "nurse" and "medical" since they put "surgical tech" above). All speculation, of course. This also begs the question, why do they have "occupation" listed twice anyway?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tajalexander said:

Since we're on the topic of Cersten, @ShellyB, please pass along that we love her and although we know she wants to get into med school next year, we wouldn't be mad at all if she stayed a DCC for just oneeeeee more year lol I'm not ready to see her go! 

Cersten is one of my absolute favorites to watch perform; she's another one that makes it look so easy when I know it's not and just...FUN.  

• Love 10
3 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Not snide at all...reality. We don’t recognize anyone as Alumni or former if they didn’t complete a full year. And when I said “coattails”, I was referring to the circumstance in which she left...10 weeks of training camp, during which a movie was being made. She made her contacts, may have done 2-3 games, was given the cover of the calendar and then hightailed to LA without any notice. She has had a successful career, kudos to her. 

Who are we talking about?

4 hours ago, ShellyB said:

39 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Who are we talking about?

From the 2017 Training Camp/Tryouts thread:

ON 9/13/2017 AT 9:50 AM, DREAMCATCHER SAID:

This made me think of an interview with the actress Sarah Shahi who was a DCC for a season abut 16 years ago -

ShellyB:

Not even a 1/4 of a season considering she quit after maybe 3 games....#coattails

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I guess I am in the minority because I do not think Cersten is all that.

You're not the only one...I see her more as a blender than any kind of standout.  I'll certainly lose no sleep when she retires.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

From the 2017 Training Camp/Tryouts thread:

ON 9/13/2017 AT 9:50 AM, DREAMCATCHER SAID:

This made me think of an interview with the actress Sarah Shahi who was a DCC for a season abut 16 years ago -

ShellyB:

Not even a 1/4 of a season considering she quit after maybe 3 games....#coattails

Thanks.  I think that thread is closed now because I can't find it.

21 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Nowhere near the medical field here, but in my area, at least one of the community colleges has a Nursing program.  Now that just gets you an A.A. in the field and a foot in the door.  One of the MANY things that helps a student (the program is competitive entry) is to be a CNA (certified nursing assistant).  It not only gives the prospective student so-called bonus points on the Nursing program application, it lets them actually "try out" the nursing program and see if it's something they want to pursue.  Wouldn't you want someone who's actually trained and WANTS to be there and not someone who can't handle the job but there for the money? I also remember hearing that a lot of the hospitals are requiring BSNs to be hired on.  Maybe it was because we had two or three local colleges graduating nurses so there were more qualified nurses then jobs in the local economy.

A.S.N (A.A.) and B.S.N. take the exact same board and either start out at the exact same pay or maybe $2-3 more at most hospitals. This is straight out of school and not considering experience.

You're right about the CNA. Some schools actually require it first. 

7 hours ago, cherryblossom said:

OK let's put this to rest and move on rather than beating a dead horse.

Certified nursing assistant-usually a 6 weeks program where they learning how to do vital signs, basic care such as getting people out of bed, bathing etc.  They work in long term care and some may be found in hospitals.  They are not prepared to work in a clinic

Medical assistant takes 9-12 months depending on what is included such as blood draws etc.  Some programs even put this into an associate program.  They learn about vital signs, some anatomy, lab tests that can be done in a clinic, giving injections, drawing blood etc.

An LPN or LVN usually has education of 12-18 months and has abbreviated eduction of anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, etc.  They are found in doctor's offices, long term care facilities and some hospitals still employ them.

An RN or registered nurse could have an associate or bachelor's degree.  Often those hired with associate degree must commit to completing a BSN within 5 years.  Associate degrees usually go for 2 years and have a more abbreviated course of study with less emphasis on leadership and no community health.  They also may have less clinical time for maternal child nursing.  A BSN has more leadership and community health along with more humanities.  An RN can also go to a hospital based program usually of 3 years and graduate with a diploma.  They do not have a college degree but take the same licensing exam as those with an associate or bachelor's degree.

A nurse practitioner has a Master's degree with specialized eduction and clinical practice.  She is called an advance practice nurse and can function as specialist in the hospital such as ER, ICU, NICU or in a clinic setting.  They have additional certifications for prescribing medications and controlled substances.  One of my friends who is a NP owns her own clinic and she hires her own physicians to work for her.

Those in an academic setting often have a PhD or DNP.

Oh, a PA or physician's assistant is a role created by physicians.  They have limited powers, never delivered bedside care to patients and cannot independently write orders without a cosign by a physician.

Let me get off my soapbox

Sign me a RN of 46 years, university professor, curriculum director of 37 years

P.A. is a five year degree at a lot of colleges. They absolutely do bedside care at my hospital. They round just like the NPs do, and today I saw one remove a chest tube. PAs do have to be cosigned by a doc, but they also work in our ER in triage and I've seen a ton write prescriptions, etc. PAs and NPs screen and then deal with colds and bee stings while sending MIs etc on to the docs. That said if I had to see a NP or PA, give me an NP any day of the week. 

Anyway...........Cersten needs to fix her bio.

• Love 3
On 23/10/2015 at 5:17 PM, bigskygirl said:

All American girls or going for the Julia Roberts look in Pretty Woman. Sorry, but to me, this looks tacky. 

Put a pole part way down that runway and you'd be forgiven for thinking you're in a strip joint.  the sexualisation of these girls while at the same time making them all 'look don't touch' is disgusting.  wasn't there a season (relatively early on) when they were told that boyfriends/husbands couldn't drop them off/pick them up at airports because they were recognisable and had to be seen to be single? or am i thinking of another show?

• Love 2